Sharp, knife-like pains in my vagina...what is it?
My vagina has been getting very excruciating pains (almost knife-like) for the past few days.

They occur in short bursts (approximately one minute at a time) every hour-and-a-half or so.

Any suggestions or ideas on what this could be?
I had a s pain in My vagina the past few days.  stopped taking birth control about   6 mouth a go but as not had a  periods in 6  month.

d

cause I was bleeding while on it. I had 2 perioin one month. My boy
I'm currently trying to get pregnant I'm getting nausea, really sharp pains in my vagina and stomach. I no I'm not pregnant tryed several test. And I've also been very blocked up from going to the toilet. Please help
Hellow, i am desperate i have the same problems for two month now plus my back is killing me...i went to see my doctor at least 5 times and they still have no idea what is wrong with me...did you found out what was the problem?

greeting from Slovenija
I am 65 and have been getting the same knife sharp pain  for a number of years..I have been to doctor and they say all is well..They did not do any test but pap smear which came out ok ..It is funny it happens allot when I sit down in the car but not always but alway sitting down..I have no idea and have not had sex for a year and a half..Wish I had a answer..Wish someone has a answer..
I have the same pains :( and I have had all the swabs etc they tell me there's no infection but right now I'm sat here with a hot water bottle again in agony. I have no water infection, am upto date with smears etc and all clear wish someone could give me some answers :'(
oh my goodness i got told the same thing!!!!
im going back today
I found out i have a uterine deformity when i was pregnant with my first. It's a bicornuate uterus - I found out a couple years ago i have pcos, polycystic ovarian syndrome. I gave birth to my 2nd 10 mo's ago via c-section and had numerous issues afterwards with incision not closing, infectiom, etc. While pg with her i had these pains, they were so bad, i could nearly tolerate it. I was diagnosed with spd, symphis pubis dysfunction, i believe - they sai dmy ligaments were stretching and becoming detached or something, like they were just 'floating' iiidk, anyways.. truth be told, i never went to my post check up. We had recently moved 2 hrs from home and i was so tired having my hubby miss work to drive me back and forth while i was havin issues healing. I bled for month straight, at least 8 out of the last ten months. I found that odd because after having my son i didn't have  a period for a year. I have ovary pain quite freqently but have grown to dismiss it.. its recently that i've grown more concerned. My period, a month or so ago seemed lik eit was going back to a monthly cycle bu tthen i started bleeding, but this time brown - i've been bleeding this gross brown color for the last 3 wks and was woke up last night from excruitiating inner vaginal pain. Its been like this before but not this bad, i just wanted to curl up almost holding 'myself' because its hurt so bad today. I've been the universitys guinea pig with no results in the past and im so tired of no answers. Idk what to do because theres only a small dinky clinic near our new town now and i highly doubt the dr there will know either. Both my grams, paternal and maternal have had hysterec. My maternal had one because she had bled like i am, had a biopsy that tested positive for cancer. My paternal was fairly young and was bleeding profously - they dont know what had caused that. I have a cousin whos had ovarian cancer and has been diagnosed some time ago with endometriosis. Is there anyone who has found out whats causing this? Im a 25 yr old sahm with 2 young children and this pain is interferring with all our lives! Any advice or knowledge regarding this or what to do dr wise? Any ways to cope? I've tried hot baths, tylenol/ibpr etc but doesnt seem to help. Oh an dthe brown bleeding?? When that started awhile back itd last like a wk before transitioning into red sometimes clotted blood..but this month has just been brown, for the entire month straight with no end in sight..ugh, plz help :( im so miserable
Have you had a laparoscopy done to confirm you don't have endometriosis? Having lived with the disease for a decade your experiences sound extremely familiar and I know that feeling like a guinea pig *****, but sometimes being a guinea pig one more time is what it takes.
I have endometriosis myself and have had episodes of prolonged bleeding that were likely the result of endometrial cysts popping or issues with endometrial lining itself and my bleeding was often that dark brown; just had a 12 day episode in April exactly like that.  The vaginal pains sound an awful like Vulvar vestibulitis (VVS) or Vulvodynia both are pain conditions that occur in the vulvar area, externally in the labia, clitoris basically the entire  are as well as causing pain internally in some people. Both are linked to heightened nerve activity, hyper sensitive nerves in the area or more than the 'normal' amount of nerve down there. As well as potential links to Endo and other gynecological and urological issues, VVS and Vulvodynia can be a constant pain, intermittent or just random occurrences. Another possibility is pelvic floor dysfunction- most women w/this condition have pelvic muscles that are too weak, but the opposite can occur where the pelvic floor muscles are too tight and can cause internal pain as well. There are physical therapists who specialize in internal pelvic dysfunction and treatments are available, tho uncomfortable they do help many people.
Lastly, interstitial cystitis (IC) is a bladder disorder that can cause what feels like internal vagina pain as well and is often overlooked when a patient has a known gynecological issue. I have endo, VVS and IC and the IC was actually causing most of my problems but because I was diagnosed with endo and VVS no one thought to look at urinary causes until I was placed into a medically  induced  menopause at 24. It had stopped my cycle and I was receiving treatments for VVS, unsing Lyrica and Elivil, an antidepressant used to treat nerve pain, as well as a capsaicin topical in an effort to force my vaginal area nerves to be less active/sensitive. However I was still in pain so the doctors sent me to a urologist who also treats pelvic dysfunctions and we discovered that IC was causing a larger majority of the problems. I'd spent 4 years being told that the endo and VVS couldn't possibly be causing the pain because I was being treated for them, so was making up the pain- in reality the doctors had just missed a piece of the puzzle that wasn't being treated. Many gynoclogical and urological disorders have been proving to be more closely linked than previously thought so its something that you might want to bring up with you doctor(s). I had to go through many docs before I found one but it was worth it in the long run (5 years later) to know that there was more going on then what the original doctors thought. They just didnt factor in possibilities outside their field of expertise. IC is treatable with medication, such as elmiron and pyridium as well as bladder washes which vary from dr to dr but generally involve putting lidocaine and other liquids via catheter to help sooth the inflamed bladder/urinary tract.
Also, topical lidocaine can do wonders for the vaginal knifing/burning/irritation, something quick and easy to ask your doc about.  Sometimes I use a compression pack to help as well; basically cod oil soaked rag with lavender oils that you heat in the oven, wrap it in a dry towel and apply it to the effected area; I have no idea why this helps, but seems to. You can find directions just by googling compression packs or lavender compression packs and its so etching women have been using for generations for female problems. When I was looking to the ingredients the first time I made one the 60+ y/o clerk about had a heart attack because it was what her mother had used back in the day.
Feel free to contact me if there's anything else I can help with. I spent a lot of time learning about these sorts of disorders because I was the first in a group of about 7 people who eventually all came down with the exact same disorders. I was the guinea pig for both my doctors and my friends! :-)
Y'all need to look into vulvar vestibulitis (VVS) and Vulvodynia. The descriptions of y'all's symptoms fit with both disorders. There are many heroes but most believe it has to do with and order abundance of nerves in the vulvar region or nerves that are hyper sensitive. There are treatment options for both. It sounds horrid but the most effective is a topical cream with capsaicin in it that you apply to the vulva. You apply topical lidocaine, let it help numb the area, apply the capsaicin cream and ice the area for about 15 minutes before removing the cream. It's painful at first but it gets easier the longer you use the cream. The compound I have now is about 2% capsaicin I believe, but it's way too low. I'd need to get in touch with a specialist in Philly to get the original compound which was much stronger and far more effective.
**Many THEORIES not heroes. Idk what exactly happened there! Stupid spell check!
I'm fifteen and about two days into my period i started getting sharp pains inside my actual vagina, they can be speradic and often so painful i cry out and i' really worried as i dont know what to do and i have a low pain tolerance, i've been dealing with them over the past three days but i'm still on my period, can anyone find a specific diagnosis or solution?
Like everyone else I'm suffering and in pain as well. I had cervical cancer cells removed a few years ago and was having the same problem then. Only this time the pain is more excruciating. Go to the doc for a pap in two weeks. Wonder what's going to happen
im 15 years old and i am having the same thing, it just happened when i was standing up brushing my teeth. when it happens usually if you "push out" it will make it feel better. but it hurts so bad i screamed earlier when it happened . i have had alot of digestive problems like h pylori, but im cured of that. i dont know what to do
I have been having VERY sharp pains in my vagina. for about a year now. Only on my period though. and only when I....uhm poop:P lol but like excruciating like crying out in pain grabbing the door handle dropping my $200 phone on the tile floor because it hurts so F******* bad. I'm sixteen and when this started occurring I was NOT sexually active. I am now and they havent worsened or gone away. my period is very very light and this only really happens when I poop or HAVE to poop. lol if someone could help me itd be really appreciated
PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING LIKE TIS SIMPLE ANSWER BUT IN MOST OF THESE CASES IT IS GAS STUCK IN UNLIKELY CASES IT STARTED WITH ME OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO, SOME HOW GAS HAS GOTTENINTO THE PARTS THOUGH SEX ORAL SEX OR PERIOD MECHANISM, I GUARANTEE YOU THAT MOST WOULD FEEL BETTER WIITH SOEM SORT OF ELGERSELZER TYPE MEDS, THE PAIN CAN BE SHARPOR DULL, IN THE TOP OF THE UETERUS SIDE OF VAGINA WALLS LOWER AND UPPER, NOT SURE IF THE PAIN RADIATES OR IF GAS IS IN ACTUAL AREA, BUT ONCE I KNEW THIS IT MADE THAT EXTREME PAIN MORE TOLERABLE...GOOD LUCK IT SOUNDS SIMPLE BUT THE PAIN IS NOT
Well I too have those same sharp pains in my vagina and anus.. I was just diagnosed with vulva cancer.. Rare but true.. Ladies get checked
I have the same thing random excruciating knife-like stabbing pains in the cervix, not always every day but often and some times a few times a day when i do have them- and not related to my period, or pregnancy, sex can be painful and i cant let my cervix be touched or it will happen, I am also one who does have VERY bad periods and i am on a non hormonal perscription for just my period, dont know if that effects it.. since theres nothing else wrong with me, 2 obgns have told me it is spasms. and that there is nothing that can be done, and to just live with it. its been  its been 10 years. i had them less often when i was off hormonal birthcontrol and when i was pregnant and post partum. but now that im daughter is 2 i'm having them again.    I hate to say it but if you don't have an infection or a cyst that can be takencare of with meds or surgery they will tell you to just live with it... most of womens medicine is still dark-age style barbaric like taking biopsies where they cut pieces out of your body and dont even numb you first.. i think if men had to live with something like this there would have been a cure yesterday. we need more women in charge so that they will stop making boner pills and help us women who are living with pain like this.
I'm 15 and mine is so painful. I can't move without crying , it's so bad. It goes away then comes back minutes later. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm not sexually active , I'm still a virgin. Last night I thought I was going to vomit then I had stomach cramps then this morning it's in my upper vagina every time I move / walk / breathe my period is due in about 10 days
Hey Ladies! ive been having constant cramps in my vaginal area and sometimes in my lower abdomen and back. I haven't started my period, I should start sometime next week. Last month my period was a little werid it was brown discharge with a pale pink blood for about 2 days and the rest of the cycle was blood. would this be any sort of infection? early sign of pregnancy?
i am 55 years old and past menapause....i have had this before....but tonight it is so painful in my lower right side....like a stabbing pain, sometimes throbbing....with shooting/stabbing pain in my vagina and sometimes the rectal area....getting scared and nervous....calling the dr. tomorrow.
i it bad
Sitting in a hot tub of water may help or sitting on a heating pad set on low

I have the same pains. I found out about a month ago that I have a cyst on my right ovary and in the last 4 days I've experienced this sharp pain several times a day as well. I was hoping it meant I was pregnant, but after reading all of these comments, I'm beginning to think that I'm not :-(. I am supposed to have the cyst checked out again in another month. Good luck everyone! Being a woman sux sometimes!

I am also having these same problems and have had them for the last 8 years.. I found a website that might be very helpful to all the women on here..  http://www.med-health.net/Sharp-Pain-in-Vagina.html Its got all kinds of helpful tips!
Im 16 and I asked my wemon family members. My mom made me an appointment for the end of the week because it happens at random times. Im not on my period and never got pregnant either. I looked up it could be an infection that is only suppose to happen to women once in a while.
I'm 65 and I also have shooting pains up my vagina.  I've had a complete hysterectomy ten years ago.  Went to GYN.   Was told tissue in vagina were shrinking and could and would cause some pain.  Was given estrogen cream to insert nightly.  This could be a two-fold problem.  Shrinking tissue and small bladder stones.  Small enough to pass but very painful.  I first noticed the pain while on a long driving trip.  Blood in urine and shooting pain.  Urine was tested.  did not show any stones.  Of coarse I could have already passed the small stones before urine test.  I take a probiotic in the am with Aloe Vera and Organic Pomegranite juice.  Drink tons of water.  Limit the caffeine and do NOT sit for too long a time.  Hope everyone gets some relief.  I have not had sex for more than two years.  It hurt to bad.  Best wishes.
I think you all need to get someone to look at it carefully and than give you a nice orgasm.... sorry that you all are having pain in your vagina.... I Love vaginaaaaaa a lottttttt :)
I am having the same thing. I am 41 and n menopause. I suspect and am researching uterine prolapse, My pain just started this morning and walking is excruciating, but the pain is constant. Did you have any excessive gas? I am a med student and understand the physiology of the female reproductive system.
I have shooting pains sometimes but they only last seconds. I just recently had some today. I've been having other problems too(asked about them on here but no reply). I'm going to the dr in a couple weeks to find out and will mention or ask about these.

I was hoping there would be an answer on here from someone who seen a doctor as I want to know what to maybe expect.

Although I've had these pains in the past they just recently(like today) started. It's like a muscle spasm or something like it hurts then releases if you get what I'm saying.
I had this today and i totally freaked out. These excruciating pains were really bad in every position i was in and they lasted for about 5 minutes straight. I hobbled to the toilet and it wasn't my period or anything so i was even more freaked out because i didn't know what this was at all. The pain eventually subsided and i was back to normal. This has only happened once and the pains were around the uterus and vagina area. I'm so freaked out i just hope it's nothing that can't be fixed!! This whole cyst thing is freaking me out i just hope that whatever i ahve it subsides. I'M 15 BTW AND AM NOT AND HAVE NEVER BEEN SEXUALLY ACTIVE!!
Amen sister!!!! Finally someone who knows what I am talking about when I say I am having stabbing pains in my *****!!!
i have had these same exact pains for a couple years on and off. in the stomach and vagina, and like. the entering of the vagina, it all hurts. just shooting pain. i had excruciating pain once during sex, and it got so bad that i went to the Hospital. turned out, i had a cyst on my left ovary. and my partner had bursted the, cyst sack. it's embarrassing .. but it happened to me. so if anyone is feeling that pain. its more than likely a cyst. or cysts.
You should tell your mom. Sounds like an urinary tract infection. Doctor gives you meds n you'll be fine. If you wait too long could cause worst issues. Don't worry get it checked. Never be afraid to talk to your mom.
I have had this type of pain for over a decade, and was a long aggravating journey to find relief. Pain in the girl parts was one of many symptoms, but came on more recently and was one of the most alarming. It started in my 20s and has required two surgeries in as many years. The first one was a partial hysterectomy for fibroids. I found out a year later (before the second surgery) that I also had adhesions from endometriosis that were ablated during the operation. The second operation was to remove my ovaries because they both had painful cysts that lifted me out of my chair every time. The adhesions had returned. My surgeon ablated my bladder, behind my bladder and intestines, since they were stuck to my abdominal wall.
For years I was diagnosed with depression, fibromyalgia, and IBS. I had every blood test, xray, ultrasound, and had been scoped at both ends. All tests were normal. I was bounced around from doctor to specialist constantly, and saw 2-3 different doctors each month. The doctors had me on every drug they could think of, including fentanyl (a VERY strong narcotic they give to cancer victims). Every time they increased the doses it would help for a few months and I'd "need" an increased dose again. If you're in enough pain you'll do what you think you have to in order to get relief, but it may only prolong the issue.  I couldn't work, sleep, or eat, and it affected every part of my life. My entire body was in pain. My hips ached. The pain felt like it was deep down in my bones. I had, and still do, have benign tremors. Even worse than the pain was that everyone around me (including my family) thought I was crazy or exaggerating.
All of the women in my immediate family have experienced similar problems. I told every doctor about it, and yet it still took years to diagnose. I eventually took myself off of all the pain meds, muscle relaxers, and Lyrica, but kept the wellbutrin for depression. It was surprising to me when my some of my doctors discouraged me from stopping the medication completely, I guess they just liked having the residual income, but I was on a mission to find the cause and the medications only clouded my symptoms with side effects.
Find a doctor that you trust and who listens. Find a doctor who is patient, knowledgeable, and that doesn't just want to treat you with medication.  Don't read about everything under the sun on WebMD - you'll just end up driving yourself crazy and everyone around you. Do read, just take everything with a grain of salt and don't obsess... like I did. Most of all, don't give up. Never lose hope. If I had, I would've been on drugs my entire life, never knowing why I had so much pain.
I wish you all the best and hope with all my heart that you find relief from your pain sooner than later. If my story helps one person, then I will have succeeded.
I have been having this stabbing pain that "shoots" pain straight up to side my vagina.i feel like I have a large swelled area just inside me o. Right side.it causes me to have so much pain I can't have sex...I have been. Diagnosed with HPV,an had cervical cancer when I was 16.ive had an ovary removed due to cyst's.but the gynos around here don't seem to do anything about any of my symptoms.they just day we'll check you I. 6-8 months.what did they actually diagnose your symptoms as? Please HELP
ive had these very symtoms and ended up having endodemetriosis, in essence cyst. my sister had one the size of a baseball and it was wrapped around her appendix. definitely painful either way.

terria
I have had these 'mystery stabbing pains' in the entrance to the vagina. Sitting up, or down, moving my legs while seated, sharp stabbing sensations. All I know is that I get relief from using a lubricant (KY warming gel currently). So, I suspect it's due to a lack of natural lubrication and wacky hormones. For those suffering from these sharp pains, try applying a lubricant inside the vaginal opening, and see if the gives you relief. KY warming gel adds a warming sensation that feels soothing, and results in fast pain relief, but any kind of lubricant will do. I believe I have a form of Vulvar vestibulitis or possibly essential vulvodynia (Google it, ladies!), and it comes and goes along with hormone levels. .
so i am having the same problem with the pain plus me & my boyfriend were playing around and he happen to place his penis lil in my vagina and he had pre-*** im kinda worried and my period 3 days last please help
Hi there.  Well karma, not a good idea to put a penis into your vagina unprotected hon.  Doubtful that you are pregnant but that is just risky behavior.  

The pain you are experiencing is after the sexual encounter?  You are late for your period, this could be related to your period coming as well.

good luck
Hi there even i have experienced the pain sometimes in vagina opening or sometimes in rectum..which goes just for few second. And thankfully i got the solution for it so i came to tel you people too abou it.ACTuaLLY THE PAIN IDS DUE TO GAS..when ever we eat something spicy or oily specially it is gas which moves around. ANOTHER CASE ME BE CORRECTION OF CHAIR ON WHICH YOU ARE SITTING.check the duration of the times you are sitting. Even try streching that wil have. And lastly dont forget to have a good medicine for anti gas..it only gas which pains and moves there.thn regards everyone. Have a good health :)
Did you figure out the cause?
ok so im 15, i had unprotected sex 3 months ago i had a miscarrige and a really odd period after. i have weird pains in my vagina but they dont happen when its time for my period and its like in the middle inside the vagina. i have sharp cramps and they arent were they normally are when im about to start my period. and they last for about a min and a half. i have lower back pains and crave food really bad and have to pee like every hour. i sometimes feel nauseous and have head aches alot i get irritated extremely easy and am always tired. am i pregnant? please tell if i am im kinda excited i want a baby... its weird ik..  
i am having the same problems now, but im 100% positive im not pregnant because im a vergin and also 13.. did anyone figure out what this is???
Sorry, i meant to reply, im having the same problem, painful spasms inside vagina which are very frequent. Wonder what this is?
Hey! I'm 13 too and just right now I experianced the most painful ful outburst in my vagina. I am sleeping right now but suddenly it fells like daggers when in my vagina. I am DEFINITELY a virgin. I'm nervous.is something wrong with me?
Idk if it the same for anyone else, but I'm 13 and the shocks of pain only happen on the right side. What does this mean and how do I get rid of it? :(
I'm 13 too and it's not a very sharp pain but it does sort of hurt,and it sort of just happens for like a minute or two every couple hours. And I know for a fact I'm not pregnant and I'm a vergin so I don't know
Take 2 goodie power extra strength the pain will slowly go away less then 30 minutes from thinbody 1
Check for uterine fibroids
Is there anything else it could be?
It is cramp in the vagina, cramps can occur to anywhere up to the knees as the body does extra stuff you do not know about when preparing for essentially pregnancy. So all the pain is, is the vagina getting rid of the things it prepared.
It could be a small infection. I had something similar that started shortly after my husband and I started using condoms. I used some super soft soap (lavender bar soap from Doterra) and gently washed the exterior of my vagina. It took a couple weeks but it's gone and hasn't returned.
I'm having the exact same pains in my vaginal. It started when I was five months pregnant and the ob told me it was due to the pregnancy. My son is now 15 months and I'm still having this pain. I was told to have a hysterectomy but reading these comments confirms that would've been a mistake. I have to sit in the tub for any type of relief. It hurts to pee, have sex, stand for too long, sit for too long. It hurts literally all day. I've Google docs everything and been to several doctors who have all done the same thing. Give me antibiotics and never find an infection. I have a gynecologist appointment Monday and I'm praying with everything in me that they find something. We need a specialist cause I don't think it's anything that can be saw with the naked eye. One doctor said that it could very well be a nerve issue also. Anyways I'll keep you posted and hope you do the same if yall get news of what it could be.
I been off bc for year now and been last mth April 24 was first day of my last period this month according to my first response ap I'm 8 days late all tests are negative I'm starting get sharp shooting pains in my vagina area and now started bleeding anyone know what that could mean?
I have a 12 year old daughter and she has been having knife like pains in her vagina she not started her period yet could she be getting ready to start
Yes I was the same way before I stared
I got this after I started birth control last week. Any suggestions??