Shooting pain through vagina and anus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Shooting pain through vagina and anus

I have sharp shooting pains through my vagina and anal area.  They only last a few seconds.  The build and peak like labor pains.  Say I'm in the kitchen and I'll feel it coming on so I have time to brace myself.  I'll set down whatever it is i'm holding and get ready.  I have to cross my legs, bend my knees, hold on to something, clench my body tight, and try to breathe.  Thank God it only lasts a few seconds.  My 14 yr. old son witnessed it yesterday and tried to call 911.  I kept signaling him not to.  I knew it wouldn't last long.  My gyno. didn't understand me when I tried to explain it to her.  What is going on?  Has anyone else experienced this kind of unbearable pain?  If the pain lasted even a min. I feel like I would just pass out and die from the pain. Honestly, it's worst than labor pains.  I never know when it's going to occur.  And when it does happend, I have to be standing to get through it, I can't be sitting.  I've also noticed that after the pain passes I'm out of breath and dizzy.  What is going on?  What should I be tested for?  Also, I've had a stabbing pain on my right side of my stomach under my rig cage.  It seems to move around the area.  Cannot take a deep breath in or yawn without tremendous pain.  Does anyone have an idea about what that could be?  Thankyou ahead of time to those who respond to my questions.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I suggest a Gastrointerologist. The pain you describe sounds really bad and there is a reason, you just need a specialist to help you find it. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon.
Hi there mynames leanne. i was reading about your shooting pains. i too had the exact same problem last nite but only in the anus. these pains lasted about an hour and i could hardly walk. i was just wondering if you have recently suffered a miscarriage because i did a little less than a week ago and i was wondering if it had anything to do with that cos i had these pains during the miscarriage too only not as bad. please write bk
The right side of your rib cage pain sounds like gall bladder to me. I had mine out not long ago and the problem with stones felt that way.
I have, had pain in my vagina and my anus too! but i just take 2 modrin and go to sleep because i can't deal with the pain. Hope we both can come up with a answer for this painful painful problem.
I have the same exact thing happening to me and I am starting to get scared . I am a little afraid of doctors and haven't seen one in four years I have been putting the pain off because it happens only about once a month but this past time was the worst ever and it happened on and off all day. If anyone has any answers please email me. ***@**** Tank You.
i know what pai you guys mean, i believe that it happens to me around ovulation so check your calendars next time it happens i tihnk it ovulation pain...hope that helps
:)
Hi sharpshooter:)

I am having the same problem. I have noticed it is gradually getting worse. One other thing I have noticed is the way I sit now.

I used to sit normally, but now I have been sitting further forward and bending over. Typing at a low coffee table. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

It is very painful, and scary, and just like you it only lasts a couple of seconds.

Who is going to be the first to go to the doctor, I have been thinking about it. Maybe it will be me.

:)
I have had this pain off and on for 3 years now.  I have been tested for endometriosis and other STD's. All negative.  My GYN has come to the conclusion that i have cysts on my overies and it is just the leakage that is causing the cramping and pain.  That may be true, but why does my anus hurt?  I feel like i am being stabbed with a knife!  I went through child labor with no meds and this is comparable.  I was looking on the net tonight and have come up with a couple of things I would like to take to the doctor.  Anal pain:  Proctalgia Fugax.  They say it occurs in men and women and the cause is unknown.  To help deal with the pain they say to sit on the edge of the bath tug, sit on a tennis ball or just apply pressure.  Sit in a hot bath or apply ice.  Or take a mild pain killer, but since the pain does not last too long, this may not be effective.  The vaginal pain may be something more deep inside such as pelvic inflammatory disease, problems w/ the uterus, endometriosis, pelvic mass, bowel or bladder issues, scar tissue or ovarian cysts.  
I know I need to get to the doctor soon, but i don't know which way to go.  Is this a gynocalogial problem?  An intestinal problem? Any comments would be appreciated!  Kindest regards to all.  
Sounds like something that happens to me,... it comes and goes, i only ever get it thru my vagina. The 1st time it happened was over 2yrs ago....i couldn't breathe or move it lasted for afew min's aswell...that was worst pain i've ever felt. Sharp stabbing pain right thru the middle up level with my belly botton. Since then i can get it once or twice a month, other times i dont get the pain at all. and most the time the pain is only just bareable. I usually just sit or stand depending on level of pain and grin and bare it. I dont have any children and when i seen the doctor about it she said i might have a slight case of endometriosis, and that was after i had test down, she said sometimes endo doesnt show up! Afew of my friends have endo and even tho it took time they are now preg and also i was preg early this yr (lost it) and think i may be again now!
ooh, i have the same thing, It stops ya right in your tracks. I was in the store one time walking with a friend, and omg she was like are you ok? i felt like my whole inside tore or something cause the pain was soo sharp. Also just happened earlier as well. I'm scared to go to the doctor! =0| I hope there is some sort of anser for this for all of us, as to why it happens and what it is exactly..
My friend and I both experience a pain like you have described during mestration only, that we actually refer to as "labor pains" because that's the only thing we could think to describe it as...ironically enough we've both never had children. I'm not sure what it is, but something with the period cycle seems to trigger it for both of us.
girls,  it is plan old gas.  It happens alot and it feels like a knife going through you.  For some reason it happens alot before your period.  I would suggest that you watch what you eat and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.  Good Luck
I have the same pain, but its usually pre-menstrual.  I always thought it was ovulation.  It feels like a knife stabbing through me and only last briefly...but it does not go unnoticed.
I have had similar pains as the rest of you. For just over a year now i have had shooting pains in my vagina and abdominal pains, both sides and sometimes in the middle. There is no pattern to it and can happen at anytime and anywhere.

i went to my doctor who gave me an internal examination and said that my ovaries were 'slightly raised' (whatever that means) and said i should go for an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts.

I was then called back again to have a smear test and was tested for chlamydia and any other STI's. The results were negative.

I am waiting for my ultrasounds (pelvic and internal) and then i go back to the doctor after a week for the results.

I have no idea what this could be, so any ideas from anyone would be greatly apprieciated.
I have had this problem for years. I believe it to be Proctalgia Fugax. It is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for a few minutes, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. I may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It is a mysterious condition; no-one knows what causes it. but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles. There are various methods of relieving the pain: putting pressure on the perineum, by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball. Sit in hot water or alternatively, apply some ice. A hot drink may give some relief. I take 2 liguid Advils, walk around a bit and then go back to bed, when I can. As laying down makes it worse. The problem with medications that you could take from a doctor is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active. I had a terrible episode this morning, and my husband wanted to call 911. So, I am looking up the info, to show him that it is not something to call 911 about. I usually have the episodes in the middle of the night.
I was just reading online about an experimental therapy for this - don't know if you could get one of these to help, but it might work.  Here is the quote:

"One of the newer treatments, involves using an asthma inhaler of the beta-adrenergic type such as salbutamol. This relaxes smooth muscle in the bronchi in the lung, has a rapid onset of action, and is rarely associated with significant side effects at normal doses. The muscle in the lower bowel is similar smooth muscle. A recent German study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology involved a double-blind cross-over trial to evaluate the efficacy of inhaled salbutamol and the duration of symptoms in patients with proctalgia fugax.

The study showed that inhalation of 2 puffs of salbutamol shortened pain attacks in patients with severe proctalgia fugax compared with placebo (dummy treatment).

Compared to the placebo, salbutamol inhalation shortened the duration of severe pain, especially in patients having prolonged attacks. There were only 16 people involved in this study so the the results need to be confirmed in larger studies.

The Medic8
I know exactly what you're talking about, it's an intense shooting pain that starts in my crotch and moves up toward my stomach.  It never lasts too long and I don't think it comes and goes in connection with my cycle.  One time it was so strong I actually jumped and the person across the table from me just thought I was having some kind of episode.  I have also noticed heavier and more painful (crampy) than normal periods.  Endometriosis runs in my family although I doubt this has any connection to the shooting pains.  I'm making an appt. but somehow I worry my doc is going to look at me like I'm crazy.
I know that pain, It's took me a few months to realize it is usually about 14 days after my period.Last month I was late 2 weeks and I hadn't had that pain yet until then and what happened next? I had my period exactly 2 weeks later.
It hurts like crazy and can't explain it to anyone. Mine starts usually on the right but has happened on the left.It starts like gas build up or something then
travles down my side to vaginal and anal area and I think I need to go to the rest room.It doubles me over and I have had to pull over on the side of the road before, and actualy have to breath through it. It last about five minutes or more.
It is a building pain and presure type episode.
I agree with you, its just gas! Gas hurts! I get the shooting pains on occasion, just "let it go" and you will feel better!
I don't think its gas.Cause I don't have gas when I get these pains?

Its a VERY SHARP pain though my vagina/anal area shoots up

It hurts so bad. It usually only lasts few seconds/min.
Sometimes it might last a little longer.
I got it yesterday.
When I get it I can't sit or stay still.

I really wish I knew what it was.
When you go to the doc let me know what they say.

I thought I was the only one.
I got this problem once about two weeks ago. It was while I was on my period. I had such bad pains in my butt it hurt to bad to go to the bathroom.. my sister said it happened to her once to, also while she was on her period. This is the only time its happened, and why to I only get the shooting pains during my period? Also when I'm off my period my right lower side kind of hurts.
Does anyone know whats happening?
I'm only 15
I suffer the same shooting pains like electric shocks through the vagina and anus and into my stomach.I do suffer with intestinal problems and thought that it may be related to that ,as mine normally occurs when i have cramps in my lower left intestine .but on reading your comments im thinking it may be something to do with ovaluation ? Idont thinkit is wind/gas as i can suffer with trapped wind on occassion and  the pain is different
I also get these intense waves of sharp shotting pain in my vaginal area- it is like right where the "lips" are- the pain is so strong it feels like contractions to me. I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer and had surgery. I have had these pains for years, however it has gotten worse lately. I will see my gynecologist in 2 weeks for my cancer follow up- I will ask her about it and let you all know.  
I have those shooting pain in the vaginal and anus too, just that it happens sometimes when I pee. I don't know whether it is just gas/wind or something else that I should be concern about. Any feedback will be much welcomed. Thanks.
This has happened for my last 3 or 4 periods.  Just when I'm on my period.  It hurts to pee or poop, and when I'm just sitting and lying down, there is a super sensitive burning sensation in my vagina and anus.  And I feel like my vagina is spasming, sometimes with greater frequency than others.  It was really bad last night and this morning it's still there, but not spasming so much.  Just hurting to go to the bathroom.  I tried to get into my gynocologist when it was happening, but have not been able to make it in when it's actually going on.  It feels like my vagina is more engorged than normal, too.

This is NOT gas.  That is a very different pain, and more in the abdomen.  This one is a more specific shooting pain in the genitals.  Mine isn't as severe as the first poster above.  I have some menstrual cramps as well that feel a little lower than the old cramps I used to get.  But it does go away when I'm done with my period.  This thing only lasts a couple days or so.  I hope somebody gets some answers soon and shares with the group.
Well I've had a hysterectomy and I still get these pains so I don't think it has any thing to do with your cycle. As i've gotten older 46 the episodes last longer, the worst an hour!!!OH MY GOSH! I just want to find some thing to stop this pain........it really is awful.
I too have suffered these terrible pains. I described them to doc as a terrible pressure that builds up in the rectum and vagina. For one year I timed them and they did occur around menstruation. I had every gyn tests imaginable (sonograms, laproscopy, mri, etc...)and all negative. ....Then I mentioned to my gastro interologist...BINGO-I have just been diagnosed with IBS-he said this is a classic complaint- (Severe menstrual cramps, sharp pains, ovarian cysts production) and he gave me meds to relax the colon. After years of this HORRIBLE pain that truly stops you from breathing...this appears to be giving relief. I also try to press on something hard (tennis ball and lie on floor) when the pain is sharply intense....but thus far.....haven't had a bad episode (moderate ones) since the meds. You place this med under the tongue when you feel an onset of nervous/crampy tummy....it then relaxes the spasm in the colon.  I also found out that I do have a minute ovarian cyst, but during cycle it swells just enough to press on nerve in pelvis area and thus the sharp rectal pain that makes you stop breathing/brings tears to your eyes......Hope this helps!
hi, i have experienced pain on one side of lower abdomen during midcycle & know it is ovulation pain; yesterday night, i felt that same ovulation pain [or] discomfort; in addition to that, for the first time, i experienced some shooting pain [or] something like electric shock waves through my vaginal path; i was confused if it was in my vaginal path [or] urinary path.
i think the pain is connected to ovulation!
i have also had these pains and didnt know this many other women had them. it is not plain old gas. its like when it happens i have to lift my butt off of whatever im sitting on because it hurts worse if im sitting. i have had lots of ruptured ovarian cysts and random bleeding also. it has recently been happening a lot and i have an appt next monday. i guess what bothers me the most is that these doctors test you for one thing and when it comes back negative they give up. it seems like they pick out the easiest symptom to go along with a condition or disease and ignore everything else youre saying. i said to these nurses probably 4 times about my bleeding, pain in my lower back, and vaginal pains and all i get is "so youre here for your annual?"
I am experiencing these same pains, but am going through a miscarriage (naturally). The doctore prefers natural to a DNC.  Could this have something to do with it? I am assuming so since I have never had these pains. Any suggestions?
I've had the same pains but not as often as some of you. I too think it's muscle spasm(but could be referred pain) caused by what ever is happening in the abdominal area, be it menstruation or gastro. I'm not dead yet and don't believe it's anything sinister.
Your comment, as well of the rest of the ladies, has been really helpful to me. For about two years now I have experienced an occasional dastardly and mysterious pain. I thought that I was alone and am excited to find out more info. I have rather painful heavy  irregular periods and if the pain was merely abdominal and vaginal I would not suspect something too extraordinary. But the anal pain has come as quite a shock. When it happens I grip an object and brace myself until the pain subsides..

Being that I have no medical insurance I have been remiss to go chasing phantom pains through the myriad labrynths of modern medicine.
Has anyone noticed that NO doctors have said diddly about the questions in here?
I have been having these same shooting pains for years. Of course I come and look for answers online when I'm feeling ill. Not finding any answers I get frustrated. Anyway it's sad but nice to know that many of us are hurting the " same " way. I know that my pains are not related to my period or gas. Just that I have to stop what ever I am doing and not yell. My daughter knows the look I get and knows that mommy is hurting. I pray she never gets pain as bad as these ones.
I too have this pain.  I am going through a severe episode as I type and was looking online to see what this was!!  I have endometriosis which caused severe abdominal pain during ovulation and monthly cramping.  I am now on Depo and have no period or abdominal pain.  My Gyno said that this pain I am feeling is not an endometriosis pain. I do not have pain in my anal area.  It feels like someone is taking a sharp knife and stabbing me in the opening of my vagina.  It causes me to stop whatever I am doing and just try to fake not being in pain (as is often happens at work).  I have noticed that it does happen more frequently when my bladder is full or has been full at some point (taken too long to go to the bathroom).  Earlier today I put off going to the bathroom at work until the last minute.  I then started getting these stabbing pains and went to relieve myself.  Now it is several hours later and my bladder is not full but the pains are here.  I wonder if they are related?
I agree with you the most msnique.. it usually happens at work while I'm sitting at my desk.  My co-worker also has this happen to her.  It's like a really sharp stabbing pain right at the base of my vagina and radiates only a little up from that but makes you gasp for breath it's so sharp and sudden.  Like you just sat on a knife.  And it throbs and shoots for a while like a knife is stabbing you.  It's NOT like labor or gas pains at all!!  It doensn't help to adjust your seat or anything..it just seems to runs it's course while you suffer the attack.  I find that it happens when I am a bit dehydrated without thinking about it.. and I haven't peed (now that I think of it).  Especially if I was out the night before  drinking alcohol.  I was just telling my coworker that as I was gasping for a breath while going through an attack the other day.  I think it must have something to do with the urethra. Doctors are NO help at all!!  I try to tell my doc stuff like that and they think you are a crazy woman.  I guess we should take matters into our own hands and do what comes natural.. sometimes "pushing" like you are pushing out a baby helps a little but you have to try not to be obvious when at work.  This **** hurts.. there a hundred pills to make men have harder dicks,.. but women suffer on and on!  Not only do i have to have a gross period, now I have to feel as if someone is stabbing me in the crotch with a knife.. and then I get to have hot flashes and facial hair and dry crotch!!!  Thanks scientists.. you're really doing a bang up job.  No wonder men like younger women.  No wonder lesbianism is becoming a growing trend!  I'd like to NOT feel like my ***** is being held at knifepoint someday.. can you "doctors" do SOMETHING for us?!    
Yes..no doctor has said anything and that's because doctors don't care about women at all it seems.  doctors care about men.. they give men **** pills when they have no ability to get it up but the doctors could care less that a woman might not want a man with a **** pill to enter her vagina!!  They don't want to work on the vagina because even doctors don't understand the vagina.  I guess the vagina is the same to a doctor as a black hole is to a physicist.  Who knows why that is.  You'd think there would be more women obgyn's than men but I guess the "good old boy" network applies to medicine still.  I can't imagine a man knowing ANYTHING about a woman's body anyway..and it's a shame that women don't even know yet.  I bet there are millions of us out there in the world who wish we knew why things were happening!!  We create life..I suppose that will always be a mystery to man.  Doctors don't know it all anyway, do they.  There are many quacks out there.  I wouldn't trust 75% of the people who call themselves doctors to look at my JEWELS..would you!        
I too get these sharp pains in my vagina. It usually happens when I'm relaxed. It last for a few seconds, and there is nothing I can do to stop the pain. It really does feel like someone has taken a knife and is contnuing to stab my vagina. I also have a semi-sharp pain in my anus as well. This only happens when I'm sleeping. The pain is so severe that it wakes me up. This usually last for a few minutes. It almost feels like I have to go to the bathroom, but the pain is a lot more severe. I told two doctors about the vaginal pain, but I really didn't get a response. I am starting to get worried.
WOW do I know how you feel!  I had a bladder suspension and a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I was healing well and BAM 2 weeks after surgery I start with severe rectal stabbing pain.  GYN was very
confused by this. He referred me to a GI doctor.  HIs diagnosis was Proctalgia Fugax. He gave me
the same medication that you put on your tongue.It is a muscle relaxer for the lower GI area. It has been helping, as long as I take it every 4-6 hours. Just started on it yesterday. It has helped a great deal. I can not do the baths because of the hysterectomy, but he highly recomended a nice warm bath. He also told me to sit on a heating pad.  The last thing I want to do is sit on anything. I just want it to go away!!! Cross your fingers the medicince is helping!
They also found a ovarian cyst on an internal sonogram during this pain. They kept my ovaries in after the hysterectomy and took pictures of them during the surgery. The cyst was not present at the time of surgery. Makes you wonder?
Well ladies, this is also a monthly pain for me...I am starting to get really upset because no one seems to know what it is HOWEVER the pain is getting pretty unbearable :(. I have been experiencing it for about 3 years and about a year ago seeked gynocological advice..I have been to the ER countless times for them to do absolutely nothing (not surprised) I have had pelvic exams, ultrasounds, tested for STD's and just recently under went surgery my gynocologist did and an exploritory lapariscopy where he went in through my belly button with a camera and then in just above my pelvic bone with some instruments what was found was adhesions which are scar tissue...now that might simply relate to my abdominal pain on both sides and along the front and the reason why intercoarse is impossible due to the amount of pain I'm in BUT its a start...I would like to find out with the lighting shocking pains are that I am experiencing in my vagina and anus though because they keep me up night and the pain is unbelieveable, asking for a referal to a GI specialist is worth the shot maybe it is Proctalgia Fugax---Heres to answers
I have had the rectal pain for years- but usually only right before my period and only when I'm having a b.m.  It's horrible!  I will begin my b.m. and then the pain comes in a shooting, fast wave- it's definitely a spasm of some sort- my b.m. will actually shoot back into me and the pain will make me cry out- grab whatever I can and squeeze with all my might.  I have to force myself to breathe and it fades after a few moments.  It is excruciating.  But the worst thing is- I just had my 1st baby a year ago- every single contraction I had was accompanied by this same excruciating anal spasm.  I was in labor for 36 hours before my c-section.  Compared to these spasms, the labor contractions were nothing!  I kept telling the dr.'s-- something's wrong! it's like my large intestines are going backwards- or someone is jamming their leg up my butt!...  They were very confused and called it back labor...  I don't think so.  Especially since I've gotten this same pain on the toilet for years.  Because of this- I'm afraid to get pregnant again.  I would love another baby- I'm not afraid of the labor pain- but I'm terrified of going through that anal pain again over and over- I honestly thought I would die...I couldn't sit or lay down the entire time..not even to put the monitor around me.  The Dr.'s were so frustrated with me- they thought I was being dramatic.  They didn't understand-  I couldn't stand any pressure on my backside.  I spent almost the entire labor sitting on an exercise ball leaning forward so my weight was off my butt.  The morphine and drugs definitely eased the labor contraction pain, but did nothing for the butt spasms.  Not until the epidural-  after 36 hours, that finally relieved the anal-spasm-shooting-jabbing-pain.  Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is a relief to communicate this somehow.  Has any one else experienced this during labor?  Thank you for any answers/thoughts..
Wow. It's amazing to hear so many women talk about the same pain I have been experiencing for the past few years now. No doctor has ever been able to figure it out. It typically occurs when I'm trying to have a b.m. - but not always - and it feels like a knife being stabbed up through the base of my vagina/anal area all the way up to my stomach. I can't breathe when it happens and have to raise off my seat. My whole body tenses up and I just suffer through it until it passes. It typically lasts about 10-30 seconds. Sometimes I'll get a second wave before it's all done.

It is not gas, it is not menstrual, and it is not related to labor pains. I've experienced all of these, and it's nothing like it. It's worse!

I always thought I was the only one, because every doctor looks at me like they're dumbfounded by my symptoms. But seeing all these women on this forum describe the EXACT SAME THING I can't imagine why no one in the medical field knows what this is. Maybe we need more women doctors!
I stumbled across this thread when I googled my symptoms.  The big difference is that I am a male.  The pain everyone has been describing is exactly what I have been experiencing, with the difference being that my pain is located in the perineum (between the scrotum and anus).  I can only describe the pain like a lighting bolt shooting from the perineum up.  My longest sustained episode lasted 5-10 seconds, but felt more like 5 years!  The pain is so unbearably intense, that I find my self on my tippy-toes or squirming until it ends.  At times it can be brought on just before a bowel or bladder movement, and other times it's completely random.

Given that I am a male and have been experiencing this pain, could this be a nerve (pudendal nerve) or some type of muscle spasm or cramp that some of us are experiencing?  I'll be checking into the IBS and proctalgia fugax mentioned above.

I also have been diagnosed with IBS (but in early teen years, and am now 33.  It comes and goes).

I've seen a urologist and it's being treated as prostatitis (as I've had prostatitis in the past.  I still believe that prostatitis is the IBS diagnosis of the prostate.  After tons of tests, they don't know, so they substitute a default diagnosis).  I'm currently on a 14 day course of antibiotics

I thought it was getting better, but I had an "attack" this morning that lasted about 1-2 seconds.

Thanks for listening :)

This is so frustrating!  Not to mention that it leaves me in fear of the next attack.
I have felt this kind of pain too. Im 25 and it started a little while ago everytime I was on my period. It only happened when I had to go to the bathroom. I thought at first, maybe it's cause I am on my period. But then it started happening in between periods. Then I thought constipation but I have never felt pain so sever with that. I was usually sitting on the toilet when it happened and I would try to straighten my torso because it didn't hurt as bad as sitting. It only lasted for maybe two minutes but it was two minutes toooo long. Every time I wanted to cry it hurt so bad.

And I also find that I get a sharp stabbing pain right under my left breast. Not at the same time as the other. It feels as if I am being stabbed from the inside out every time I breathe in. I found myself taking quick short breaths to just ease the pain. It used to come a couple of times a month but now it comes every couple of days. If I am lucky I won't get it for a week.

I have also, recently started getting frequent headaches every week. Rarely more than that. It's not a bad pain and it doesn't last very long but it happens. I rarely ever gotten headaches before this. I haven't seen a doctor yet because I don't have insurance and money is a bit tight, with my boyfriend in school and me working. That can be stressful as well as some other things. I think maybe it could be related to stress or something of the same nature. Maybe they don't even have anything to do with the other. All I know is that I need to find out what causes this because it is starting to freak me out. I have always been in good health and Cancer and Diabetes are the only diseases in my family history. And that doesn't happen until they are 55 and older. If anybody has any information that could help, please resond. And If I find anything out I will too resond.
wow!  a 2 year long posting and yet, still, i did not see ANY posting by a DOCTOR!!!  figures.  alright, well, obviously i'm on this site because yes, I too have been experiencing (painfully) these same types of symptoms... KNIFE-LIKE pains shooting through my bowels way down in my butt area and low abdomen.  i JUST experienced this for about 10 minutes this morning!!!  my fiance was sat next to me and had no idea what was going on.  i've been dealing with these types of episodes for a while now.. can't hardly remember how long, maybe a couple years now at least (i'm 27) and yea, usually they only last 5-10 seconds!!  when it happens i'm doing all sorts of things... it doesn't seem to matter what.  they just come on completely out of the blue.  i have yet to see any "trend" like what time of month or how often each month or whatever.  but they do scare me when they happen.  i've always been healthy.. athletic... but it doesn't seem to matter.  i still get these mind-blowing, debilitating shooting cramp-like pains sometimes feeling like there are MULTIPLE knives stabbing my in my bowels.  i also do not really think it's only due to gas.  gas may play a small part... but i definitely do not pass gas every time... i did once this morning but that could have been coincidental.  and passing the gas didn't stop the pain.  like i said, i experienced pain this morning for 10 min.  i was able to get up and walk myself over to the toilet... take a pee... but still, all the while, this pain was going on.  no bowel movements, nothing.  and it hurt like all get out.

if i had to make a guess.... and if this means anything to anyone, i am a medical student... mind everyone a veterinarian one at that... but hey, medicine is medicine... my 3rd year professional thought is this -- it could be some sort of over-active parasympathetic tone going to that part of our intestines via the pelvic nerve.  the pelvic nerve has access to our large intesting (including rectum), kidneys, bladder, and genitals including external genitalia.  our pains could be over stimulation causing sudden contractions in the smooth muscles of some of these organs.. like in the walls of our bowels (rectum, etc).  it could happen, therefore, in both men and women.  

that said... if anyone knows anything about our bowels, they also are "self-directed" by what is called the Enteric nervous system.  it's like it's own brain down there.  does what it wants, when it wants.  it's a nervous system all on its own.. separate from our sympathetic (fright or flight for easy understanding) and parasympathetic (rest or digest).  the Enteric nervous system controls itself via myenteric and submucosal plexuses (little bundles of nerves) within the walls of our intestines.  there is still A LOT of research to be done in this area... so that may explain the lack of knowledge or understanding (or response) from the medical people.  they simply just don't know... frustrating of course but it really is a complex system.  ok, so anyway, in essence tho the overactivity could be caused by too much neurotransmitter (of which both the PNS and ENS use to cause stimulation and contractions).  i'm probably writing more than many care to read... but if any of this makes sense or if it spurs a thought, just do some research... maybe we can come up with the answer!!

good luck everyone
While doing some research I stumbled across this book called "A Headache in the Pelvis" (4th edition).  It discusses pelvic pain in both men and women.  The book is based on the findings of the authors' studies at Standford (of which they have a clinic devoted to treatment).  

The (very) rough summary about the pain is that it's attributed to tensing the pelvic floor muscles.  This is usually done subconsciously, and probably  for many years.  I suppose some people clench their jaws, and some people tense the pelvic muscles.  I realized that I have been doing this as long as I remember, stressed or not.  I know that must sound strange.

I just touched on a tiny fraction of what the book covers (and probably not that accurately), but I can say that it is extremely eye-opening.  I want to point out that (since the majority of posters on this thread are women) that a chapter is devoted to women called, "Chapter 7: The Stanford Protocol for Female Pelvic Pain."

I hope this helps someone :)

Thanks!
i also suffer from this pain. i think mine is because of ovulation. my doctor described it to me as sort of having a congested pelvis. it kills me. sharp stabbing pains in my side, and the knife up the **** pain as well...

and i had to lol at the ladies going on about the doctors and the **** pills.... thanks for making me laugh on such a ****** night... but you know, it is true... modern medicine sure hasn't given me any answers to this pain. just opiates, which are as old as history (although in a different form nowadays)...

i find heat really helps the stabbing pain. like you all, i can't sit down on my vagina when it hurts like this, so i take an ativan or crush up a codeine in a glass of water (it works quicker that way) and try to distract myself into the pain passes.

my jerk-off doctor did minor surgery on me in his office the other day, without any anesthetic. he marveled, "wow, you DO have a high pain threshold." and i bitterly said, "yeah, i know. i haven't been putting you on all this time." *******.

not only can they not tell us what is wrong with us, but they treat us like we're crazy when we're in pain.
Wow. Alot of people with the same problem as me but still no one can explain what is happening.

I to am a male and like domer99 i was looking for answers and stumbled across this thread. I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow about it and im going to print this out because you all have done such a good job describing exactly what is happening to me (lightning bolts shooting up my *** from my perineum). Mine has been more frequent lately.

I had my first and only kidney stone a year and five months ago so ive been curious if i might be passing another. Then i though it was a prostate problem (stay with me ladies) but now that im reading this, im all screwed up. You all have described my problem perfectly (except for the vagina part).

Do any of you have genital herpes? My doctor thought it might be early sign of outbreak. but she too looked at me funny when i was trying to explain the pain. Its not pretty when your in the middle of meeting and you have to grab your *** and fall to the ground.

For the record my pain comes on the strongest when im ready for a BM. But it doesnt happen everyday, its random, but its been consistant for the last three days...
Hey, me again- I found some women online who have experienced this pain during labor as I did (and also on the toilet)...  a couple have mentioned having their tailbones x-rayed and their chiro's finding possible hairline fractures..  I've never had my tailbone x-rayed, but I did skate for years- and my butt took a lot of hard falls on concrete and asphalt.  Just curious-  were any of you skaters, or into sports in which you fell a lot on your butt?  Maybe there is a connection here- please let me know if I may be on to something...  Thanks!
Thanx everyone!!!!!
I really appreciate all of your comments. I thought that there may have been something wrong with me thae Dr. said it's just the cysts and nothimg serious to be worried about.
THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M GLAD I'M NOT ALONE.
Thankyou for the last comment by scare dof labour.I've been giggling reading this because I so relate to this and am as releived reading this as I am when the shooting knife up the anus ends.Yes its sudden.Yes I grab whatever furniture or person nearest and say owowowowoow like a howling dog until its gone.Seconds not really much more than thirteen seconds are the bouts.Mini bouts of peaks of sporadic knife pain within the bouts.Like it feels like the knife hurts more up shoot than outshoot.A bath helps.I was sure it was irritable bowel syndrome.I found that if I drank water I generally had less of what I thought were spasms of the bowel.A bath tended to relax the gluteus maximus muscles.But reading this made me take a second look.I thought maybe coffee in excess contributes to it happening but I think that we may have all had PELVIC TAILBONE FRACTURES ????How easy for doctors to overlook an injury when there are so many diseases to label us with.I must say That I know that when I fell on my tailbone on ice and again rollerskating a boy tripped me and I ended up x-rayed in the hospital.Grade five. Then later a chiropractor  noticed I was out of alignment by millimeters.When I was pregnant I developed spine alignment related problems like carpal tunnel.I dreaded birth because I had lost feeling in my legs when I fell on my tailbone as a child.Sorry this is getting too long.Just don't worry too much gals and guys eat well ,try to stay positive ,lifes too short to sweat over it too much...oh who am I kidding this sucks and may suck for the rest of my life......tailbone fractures can't be fixed .
Oh my god, I am 20 now. I have been suffering with these pains which paralyse me for minutes on end, since I first started my period, nearly 7 years ago. They first started, & only came occasionally, when I was on my period. But throughout the years, they have become so much more worse. They now come & go whenever they want to really...
I have tried numerous treatments, starting on Mefenamic Acid, then Tranexamic Acid as well. This didn't work, so I went on to the contraceptive patch- evra, after trying numerous herbal remedies too. I was using Evra for around 18months & this seemed to not cure me, but help me a lot.
However, I had an outbreak of acne, so I was switched to an oral contraceptive, to be taken back to back. Microgynon 30 made my acne worse, so I was put on dianette. After nearly a year, I demanded my doc refer me to a Gyneacologist as the pain had gone from not just on my period, to constantly & I was having breakthrough light bleeds which tended to last for around a month at a time.
My Gynea, did an ultrasound on me & though it may be something to do with Endometriosis. I underwent a laparoscopy & was diagnosed with minor Endometriosis. However, the positions of the endo were awkward, meaning that they could not be cautorised for risk of puncturing other organs.
so, I was put on the Pseudo-menopause (1 Zoladex injection, 4 weekly. Plus Tibolone HRT & another switch in my contraceptive pill, to Yasmin). I was on this for 9 months & throughout this, I was having light bleeds for over half of the time in total.
At the end of it, it had not done anything for my pain, and I am now in more pain than ever. i was then placed on Yasmin, back to back with the hope that the Zoladex would have supressed the endo & I would no longer have break through bleeds. But, as you can probably guess, I was bleeding for over a month again. So I went private & my new Gynea went in with his eyes wide open. He named my pain as the Proctalgia Fugax. But this isn't an answer guys! This is just the name of a pain!
I had already been tested for all STI's etc before my laparoscopy & these all came back negative. My new gynea thought that it may have something to do with IBS??? But as IBS tablets can also help relieve endo pain, & I had taken these in the past, I knew that it couldn't be??
I underwent a second laparoscopy last Monday & the was 1 small spot on my uterus, which COULD have been some endo, so this was cautorised, as was some scar tissue which was found attatched from my uterus to my bowel. (and it was explained to me that this may have been pulling, therefore causing slight pain, but he throught that this was VERY UNLIKEY)!!
So now, I am fitted witht he Mirena Coil, which will reduce my oral pill intake of at least 13 tablets a day. However, I am still in absolute agony!!
Help! It is not Endo, I'm in constant pain, I don't suffer from gas, it's not IBS....... WHAT IS CAUSING ALL OF THIS?!!! I have not had a period for god knows how long & I'm having to take time off work for some inexplicable problem.
Oh and sine my laparoscopy last week, it now hurts when I pee too! Anybody think of anything else which I should add to the blimin list?!!!
If you are scared or worried about visiting a doc etc, don't be! They are there to help & hopefully, someone may write back with some actual answers instead of us just sharing the same symptoms & no doctors helping!!
Life story & moan over!!!
I've had this a few times.  It is gas, the gas is trapped and it's large bubble trying to get through a space it's not supposed to be in.  And you wouldn't think it was gas because it's not like you get the pain and within a few minutes you pass gas or anything.  It is trapped gas, when that happens take so Beano or Gas-X.  It works.  The dizziness is because you are experiencing alot of pain and it causes a slight adrenaline rush, also your tightening your body and usually not breathing during that pain.  It sucks and I'm sorry any of us have to go through that.  It really does hurt very bad.  I think women experience that so much more than men because we 'hold it in' much more often than men do. And we do it for extended periods of time.   That gas has to go somewhere and it does travel.
Yes, I agree - gas.  I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome which to sum it up means- they don't have any reason why I have so many issues!  I'll go a week without a bowel movement and then I'll have severe diarriha.  I get horrible cramps just like you all describe.  The pain in you anus could be hemmorhoids far up inside that hurt when you get the pain in your side and you tighten your entire body.  Its quick and sharp and hard to describe because it can feel different at times.  I also get the pain on my right side under the bottom of the ribs and it also spasms.  Thats your intestines having a muscle spasm.  The gas can be so bad that you have to sit straight up because a slouch or deep breathe it terrible pain.
Instead of going on with my symptoms, I can try to help you all by explaining what I do to prevent or treat it.  First off, keep a food diary.  Its annoying and hard to do - don't cheat in it either.  I have bad reactions to peppers - it took forever to figure that out.  THe obvious foods that cause gas should be avoided.  Be careful with dairy, being lactose intolerrant can occur at any time in your life.  I am, and never really knew because I don't really like milk or cheeses, but ice cream can cause horrible pain.  Keep yourself regular - go daily- I drink Yogi brand tea "get regular".  It helps make me go and ensures that I don't back up my system.
You should see a gasto specialtist.  Be careful because it took along time to find one that helped me- not cure me- but help me learn what was going on.  To the point that I had a sore throat for an entire summer and had been tested so many times for strep etc...come to find out, I was having acid reflux which happened at night while I was sleeping.  It was buring my throat...a couple months on nexium fixed it all up.  So sometimes something so unrelated can be the cause.  I just happened to tell her my throat was killing me while we were talking and she figured it out right away...
people think of "gas" as farting and stuff...but it can really hurt and somepeople ahve even thought they are having a hearattack from the paint!  
I too have experienced that pain at the butt and vagina, it kinda feels like a contraction but worse. It comes about every 10 mins or so and last a few seconds. I went to the emergancy room and they said it was PID, which is a very serious disease caused by bacteria. If you or any one who is experiencing that pain please see a doctor right away. You shouldnt wait to see if it goes away on its own because it could and probably is PID. The longer you wait the damage it can do to your folopian tubes, overies, and more. It may even cause you to have a tubal pregnancy or become infertile, or even worse may cause death if not treated. So please contact your doctor soon. It has been about 5 yrs ago since I had PID and my husband and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) for the past 2 yrs and well no luck, I know that PID has alot to do with it and I'm so depressed cause of it. I dont want you guys to go through that so react fast if you think you may have PID, its that serious. You can find out more about how serious it is and what damage it can do if you just look it up on the internet or library. Take care.
This all sounds so horrible, I really feel for all of you. I stumbled on this forum because I was googling my symptoms, but mine are a bit different, for me it feels more like a pressure pain but it never goes away, I constantly feel the pressure pain, feels like if I don't pee as soon as I feel it the pain gets worse, I been to the doctor twice in the last month, at first I thought it was a UTI the doctor gave me some antibiotics that I had to take for 10 days and I did and the pain wasn't goin away, so I went back when I finished my treatment and when I told her how I felt pressure pain, and how I went to pee more than 7 times a day she said she didn't know what else to do, because they did some stds testing and she said I'm clear from anything, she also gave me a pap and she said I am in perfect health. I had an ovarian cyst removal surgery on aug 27 this year so she said it may be scar tissue causing the pain, but I don't know, that doesn't sound right, so she gave me more anitbiotics and I'm done with them and I still have pressure pain, and last night I was feeling like a stabbing shooting pain in my rectal area and my vagina, so I'm quite worried. And its just scary not to get any answers and not know what's wrong with you, any one have have any idea what this may be? Help!!!!!
:(
I totaly feel where your coming from cause I too dont get the answers Im realy needing. But as for the pain that your having, I believe it may be PID, so ask your doctor to test you for that as soon as you get a chance. The reason I think it may be PID is because I had the same pain in the rectal and vagina area and the cause was having PID. And thats scary to have, and what sucks about it is that you can get it through not just by intercourse but also bacteria in the vagina. Like a bacteria vaginosis can form PID if it doesnt get treated. That realy sucks for me and to other woman who are realy sensitive down there. With any little bacteria thats gets in contact in my vagina I'll get a bacteria vaginosis, so I avoid sprays, tampons, sented pads or tolet paper, sented condoms, I dont dushe or wash myself down there with soup just water, I take showers twice a day, only wear cotton panties, I even tell my husband to rinse off any bacteria that may be on his penis before we make love. Its kinda funny sometimes but got to be safe if I dont want to get any bacteria infections. But yeah talk to your doctor about getting tested for PID.
Thanks so much victoria, I will check for PID when I go to the doctor, I also forgot to mention I have a punctoring pain in my lower abdomen middle area, and I haven't gotten my period, I was supposed to get it on oct 24 and is now nov 3 so I hope I get it soon and hopefully this is the only cause of my pain, I'm not pregnant cus last time I was at the doctor they said I wasnt  and that was about 2 weeks ago and I know I'm not pregnant because due to the pain I can't even have intercourse :(

I just want this to be over, oh I aslo forgot to mention due to so much gooin to pee my vagina is irritated and it itches now too, and I told the doctor that and she said I didn't have any infections or anything so it just makes me have more questions, argh! She said next time I go I need to get an ultra sound so we can see of there's anything else, I hope whatever this is that its treatable...... thanks for the info.
Yeah if yoour having sex while you have PID there will be pain, but you shouldnt have sex due to the fact that there might be something wrong especially if your having unprotected sex because that can add more bacteria than there might already be and cause the infection to get worse. About your period, well that can be from alot of different things like stress, pregnancy, infections, diet, meds, hormones, exc. But try not to worry, I know it might be difficult not to but it wont do any good to stress yourself out. As for the ultrasound, that might be a great thing to do, doing that may find some answers and its okay to ask tons of questions its your body and if that makes you feel better than ask away. Good Luck with your doctor visit, let me know how it turns out. Take Care :)  
I'm goin to the doctor next weds nov 14, I'll let you know how it goes... thank you so much.
I googled my pain and this is what came up.....
Your Forum... So I joined in
I had this same pain Monday at work, I drive for a living and when I got the pains. I almost called my dispatch to have someone come out and drive the truck back in,
My pains last for about an hour and half, the steady pain is there, and then the sharp ones hit, take your breath away!!!!! I cant sit on my bottom as that makes the pain worse. I was in tears at work!!!!
Tuesday was fine..... No pains at all

Wes, morning they hit again..... I was up for about 20-30 mins and they started in again, My pain reaches right up under my belly button.

Know I hear you talking about scar tissue causing pain.....How does that cause pain,
I know I have lots of scar tissue as I have had 5 C- Sections.

I also have 2 galstones, and the Dr, wants to leave them there.....Why is that????

I too have been suffering from this sharp, gas-like pain in my vaginal since 1999,a year after my son was born. I don't get it often, but I can tell when it's about to happen. I have to get on the floor and curl up on my knees to get through this pain which intensifies over a minute or so then goes away. When it's happening I can't walk and stand up straight because it makes it worst. That's why I have to ball up on the floor. Don't know what's causing it as I get regular check ups and seem to be fine. I don't have ant female problems, my period is always right on time; i don't think it's something life threatening but would like to understand what causes this. I haven't been able to track the pattern of when it starts because it doesn't happen often( two-three times a year since 1999 if that. It's skipped a few years here and there.) i've just been living with this. It feels worse than labor pains. Don't know if there's a connection but I do suffer from alot of gas even when I have not eaten gas forming foods.
     I too found this forum while googling my symptoms & thought I would add my comments.
             I've had a pain which disturbs me for probably about 15 years. It used to only happen occasionally but the past couple of years it's been more frequent & seems to come in phases.
            It's always in the same place, deep within the pelvis. It seems to start slightly right of the vaginal area & travels upwards to near belly button level. I get almost a one second warning & then a horrible stabbing, shooting, twisting sort of pain leaves me speechless/ breathless & I have to grab my abdomen. It's a strange pain, not like any other pain I have known. When I try to inwardly locate where the pain is, I can't seem to decide which organ it's coming from. It only lasts a few seconds & to be honest if it was any longer I think I would be screaming.
                  I've had gas pains & it feels nothing like that & I haven't noticed any hormonal pattern; it has come at different times during my monthly cycle.
                  Every time it happens i wonder what it could be & if it's anything serious. I have never mentioned it to the doctor but it does concern me.
                    Great to read all your comments by the way. I really thought I was the only person who experienced this!
I cant believe so many people have this occurence. Iahve had it about 2 years now and I am looking into info about HPV to my understanding a regular PAP will not detec and there is a special test for dysplasia. I thought I was gonna faint it just comes out of nowhere and people look at you like your crazy I am newly married and I even blamed my husband for this pain. The only problem I had previously was some type of infection where my PH balance was off (forgot the name) but I t was like a bad yeast infection I guess without the yeast. Causes are stress, medication and sexual activity, people were even joking calling it the HONYEMOON  ITCH because of the increased sexualt activity. Prior to that I wasnt active so of course I went nuts. BUT this pain is scary. All of your posts were very helpful. I pray all of us get an answer that is clear and someone listens!
This has happened to me twice now. The first time it happened during class. After 45 minutes of this terrible pain, I finally had to leave. I couldn't stand it any longer! It continued on for 15 or 20 more minutes then just stopped. The second time was just the other day. This time it lasted for 30 minutes. My period started 3 days after that. From what I read that everyone else wrote it probably has something to do with it. It is scary, I hope it is not serious.
Hii !
I am 17 years old and have had this pain way to long=(
When i get the anus pain, its normally during my period, but the vaginal comes whenever. i hate it. I feel like someone shot me with a tranquilizer(sp?) I don't know what to do anymore, these doctors are dumb.
I thought about going to a gyno but i am overweight and would feel embarassed going=/
well idk what to do, good luck to you all, and feel better
<333
I don't think its PID because i have never had sex/ anything sex related. I looked it up and it said it had to do with STI, so i don't think its that.
The pains that you are all experiencing i have experienced since the age of 12 and i am 19 right now. When i was 12 i had a cyst in my ovaries and they were the worst pain ever. I wasnt able to walk i couldnt sit up straight. Just last year i had a urinary tract infection. That was horrible. i couldnt get comfortable. Anyway i sat or laid i just couldnt handle the pain. Eventually medicine that doctors prescribed took the pain away. This year i also started having pain for about a month and im still feeling it. I just went to the doctors and they told me i had bacteria in my urine and that i also had a virus. My pains were like if someone was taking a knife and just slowly cutting my uterus also i have some pain in my vagina  but it comes and goes once in a while. I get short of breath and get dizzy often but i just sit and breath until it goes away. When you go to the doctors tell them all the pains that you have make sure they dont dismiss anything that you are saying. Make sure they take a urine sample you never know what can be found. i hope i have helped a little.
Wow this is a long thread!  At least I'm not alone.  My story is a bit different.  Yes, I do too also have IBS, but I also have a heterotopic pregnancy (coexistence of intrauterine and ectopic pregnancies)...had a miscarriage a couple weeks ago and currently going through the ectopic right now.  Was given 2 shots of Methotrexate on Wed. and have had horrible cramps from that.  Then today I had the vaginal/anal pain for like 20 mins....and OH MY GOD!  I called the OBGYN on call and all she said was that its good the situation resolved itself.  But I was like, "Why did it happen? What caused it?"  She could not answer that and made me feel like I was the only one in the world who ever had this!  I was "glad" to read all your posts just to know I am not alone.  I *pray* this won't happen again.
*HUGZ*
I'm right there with you girl!!!  However I do have a diagnosis!  It is called Proctalgia Fugax.  I've had it for years and it is absolutely horrible.  Try looking someone in the face while your having an ATTACK!!  They want to call 911.  Unfortunately, there isn't a cure.  The treatment is about as bad as the attack-I can't do it!  My doctor told me to do "rectal message".  I did do this when the attack lasted a longer time then usual and kept coming back one right after another.  It did work but usually I'm in the grocery line when it happens and I don't think people would appreciate my treatment! LOL!
Just hang in there!  At least you know your alive.
I seem to be having similar pains as all of you.  My pain sometimes starts in the rectal/vaginal area, then seems to also be above my pubic bone (maybe my bladder area).  These pains range from about a 2 to 10 and seem more like spasms or charlie horse type twisting inside and knife pains in the rectal area.  I sometimes cannot pinpoint the area as my whole crotch area seems to be involved.  I usually have to lay down and keep my legs bent and relax.  The really bad pains seem to last anywhere from a few minutes to almost 45 minutes.  I'm always scared that they're not going to go away.  I sometimes cannot even walk because the pain is so intense inside.  Lately, I seem to always have some degree of pain.  I think I'm getting used to the less intense pain and usually function with it.  Sometimes it seems activity like exercise brings it on and sometimes nothing at all.  I even get it during the night when I'm sleeping, turn over or even when I get up to go urinate.  I've had scans done also and no one can find anything.  I'm reluctant to do certain things because I'm afraid the pains will come and I'll need to lay down.  I wish someone could help us.
I had this pain on Sunday night.  I had intercourse with my Husband and then went to sleep.  An hour later the pain woke me up and it was unbearable.  I quickly remembered that I hadnt removed my tampon before having sex and considered this to be the problem.  I ended up in A&E in the early hours of Monday morning and then in Gaenacology.  Well, 6 internal examinations and bucket loads of tears later... no tampon.  I must have taken it out but still now, dont remember doing so.  However, when I asked what would have caused the pain in the first place I was told that they didnt know.  All they were interested in was finding the tampon and when it became clear that there was no tampon nobody was interested in getting to the route of the problem.

I totally understand and sympathise with everyone here as it is unbearable pain and something that needs to be addressed by the professionals.
the pain all of u are talkign about sounds like enometriosis exactly....i have mild endometriosis last time checked before having a child..since then symptoms have come back...but i used to have ovarian cyts all the time and docors would just say its the cytst went for a laproscopy and first doctor missed it just removed the huge cyst and problems were back again( dunno if this had to do with the fact this doctor didnt give me a bowel prep first to see clearer) anyways that was at 17 tehy said i didnt have endometriosis either..then at 20 i had another laproscopy done with a prep before and they found the endo finally in some of the rarer places that are harder to find(behind the uterus and between the rectum and vagina) u all need to be referred to a really good gynecologist..and yes the symptoms can be referred to irritable bowel by doctors but funny enough alot of women with endo have irritable bowel....i used to only get the stabbing pain in my bum now i get it in my vagina since i was pg with my little girl which would be the last 2 years...and i have always had the low stomach pain which would be refereed to as pelvic pain..hope this helps
I know this sounds unfamiliar, but I'm a Clinical Massage Therapist specializing in Trigger Point Therapy and I think what we women are going through w/ this "unexplained shooting pain" are trigger points in the pelvic floor.  You can have a therapist massage your lower abbdomen but the best way (not the most comfortable) is to reach those triggered pelvic muscles through the vagina.  I'm getting my information from Simon and Travell's trigger point manual's and Clair Davies self treatment trigger point manual.  Do yourselves a favor and read a summary of trigger point therapy on wikipedia.com...
Just wanted to add my two cents... I'm not a doctor, just a blowhard :)

I found this thread while looking for info about the brief yet crippling pains that sometimes shoot through my anus and perineum. In reading all these posts I thought it might be helpful to point out that there seem to be several different types of pain being discussed.

Some people are mentioning pain in the abdomen, which indeed may be trapped gas like some of you suggested. I have had that before and while it is extremely painful and takes my breath away, I don't worry about it because I know that in my case it definitely is trapped gas (the gas doesn't come out, it's just shifting around). However, it's not wise to tell someone not to worry about it when they are experiencing sharp abdominal pain that they don't think is gas! There could be many other causes, some of which are very serious, and this should definitely be checked out by a doctor. I'm not a big fan of doctors either, but they can come in handy for diagnoses and sometimes (occasionally) they do get things right :)

Other people mention pain that lasts for longer than a few seconds and sometimes wakes them up at night, which definitely sounds like Proctalgia Fugax to me, as a couple people have suggested.

Some people talk about pain that comes with urination/defecation. Those are also things I think people should get to the doctor for. They could be caused by relatively minor issues like UTI's or hemerrhoids, but there could also be more serious issues such as rectal cancer, prostate cancer in men, or various STD's (a kidney infection can result from an untreated UTI, so on second thought maybe UTI's shouldn't be considered minor).

Pain experienced during sex is usually due to either a bacterial infection (urinary or vaginal) or an STD, but can be caused by endometriosis and other reproductive disorders. Best to get that checked by a Gyno.

Then there are people with pain that sounds similar to mine - lasting a few seconds at a time and focused primarily in the anal/perineal area (sometimes the perineal ones feel vaginal because it's so close). I looked into this a while back and found a post on a gyno site somewhere attributing this type of pain to strained perineal muscles. Recently however, I've had such a bad bout with this pain that I decided to look into it again in case it might be something more serious. Seeing the idea of over-tensed pelvic floor muscles echoed in domer99's post from September, I am once again feeling that this is probably the cause of my pain. Which does mollify my fear a bit. I'm going to try and find the book he mentions, "A Headache in the Pelvis" (nice name, dudes.)

I would definitely recommend people read up on PID as victoria777 suggested, and go to the doctor immediately if you think it's a possibility. There's a good amount of info on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_inflammatory_disease

To sum up my ridiculously long post, I do think that many of us are experiencing pains from over-tensing of the pelvic floor muscles (of which I believe the perineum is one). This can happen, as domer99 mentions, unconsciously - but it can also happen during sexual activity when you're tensing up all your muscles, or while defecating if you experience constipation and have to strain too much. Something to think about paying more attention to.

Good luck everyone!
I have had this pain about five times in my life. It was so agonizing I couldn't speak or think when it happened. I once ended up in the ER.

They told me there was nothing wrong with me. Well, I knew there was something wrong. I persisted and persisted and went from doctor to doctor until I ended up back at my gyno's office after an MRI.

I had a tumor on my ovary the size of a grapefruit and it was pressing on my vagina/anus whenever I was about to have a bowel movement.

I'm not saying that this is why all of you are having this pain, but I AM saying to keep persisting. You never know.
My guess is mittelschmerz (ovulation pain).
Like scaredoflabor- I had the symptoms of Proctalgia Fugax during labor...but I didn't feel it before this...well years ago when my diet was bad before a BM. I'm expecting again and was wondering if anyone has used homeopathics for Proctalgia Fugax or similar pains.
Hi I am writing in because you have described my pain exactly with regards to sharp shooting stabbing like a knife pain in my vagina and cervix area and the perineaum between the bowel and vaginal walls and perineaum between the bladder and vaginal walls.   This pain is unbearable.  I have only been experiencing this since May 2007 so this is why I KNEW it wasnt normal. I am39 years old.  So I went to my doctor and where I am also experiencing irregular bleeding and bleeding after or during intercourse when I am not even close to my period he decided to send me to a gynocologist.  Turns out I have a large 10 cm tumor on my cervix and it is growing up my cervix and is also in the left side of my uterus.  My endometrium lining of the uterus is abnormally thick.  So I have an emergency hysterectomy in 3 days.  This was only decided 3 weeks ago when I went to see the gyno!  Dont take your symptoms lightly.  Any kind of mass or cellular change will cause pain you are describing.  Any mass can press on a sciatic nerve that runs through the crotch area in both men and women. Also a real common symptom of Vaginal cancer is the pain you all and we all suffere from that sharp stabbing pain.  Go to the doctor.  As for you men.. get your prostate checked, colon and any other area that can grow a tumor.  Hugs and much love.
I find these pains very interesting because I had a hysterectomy at the end of Jan and I have been getting these pains and cramping sensations ever since.. I never had them prior to surgery.  I was calling them "phantom pains".  I think Starsharer is onto something about the nerves, since I don't have any female organs left...
Trish I too had a hysterectomy at the end of january and am gettng the same pains as this. I also have had what I though was trapped wind since the operation but last weekend the pains in my anus, that you and others have described were excrutiating. Along with this comes a load of wind rolling around and sometimes i need to got to the toilet. I went to the pharamcy on tuesday and the pharmacist gave me some capsules that contain peppermint oil that did ease the problem and lessened the frequency of attacks of the pain. (IBS treatment) However today i went to see the doc and she has given me some muscles relaxants for my lower bowel, (treatment for IBS which I have never had before) I have only been on them for a day so cannot comment if this has solved it. One thing the doc did say was that after abdominal surgery some adhesions could wind themselves arond the bowel and cause the cramping of the bowel (spasms) and this anal pain. We will wait and see...it is interesting that you have had the same surgery as me, I have recovered from the surgery fantasticaly and this latest thing is a pain in the *** (excuse the pun). Sue. let me know how you go on.
Hi I can sympathise with you with these excrutiating pain in the anus, having just had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago (see earlier post from me) and I too was told today by a doctor that it could be due to scar tissue OR adhesions left from the operation and the adhesions or whatever may have wound itself around my bowel, causing the bowel spams and the pain. Who knows?, the doc gave me muscle relaxants, day one, so will let you know if this takes away all of the symptoms. The pain is so seer it stops me in my tracks and I have to hold onto to something whilst standing up until it goes away. I have incidentally noticed that I get this pain sometiomes as soon as I stand up. Sue
It has been so helpful reading and hearing that other women are going through the same thing and it is not just me - I was really scared! For the past few weeks I have been experiencing these sharp, shooting pains which last only a few seconds, but are agonising. The pain starts in my lower left abdomen (really low down, like where my stomach joins my pubic bone) and then continues up into my anus. I have suffered from IBS for couple of years now and thought they could be connected, but as I said it has only been happening for a few weeks and I thought the symptoms would have been there before if they were connected?

I really just want to know what causes them and whether they are anything to worry about as I am getting worried?
My gyn just told me it could be from prostaglandins that you release during your period and your body can be super sensitive to this...I dont know if I buy this completely, but maybe it's a start!!?
Seems like that makes the most sense... I have had these horrible pains like everyone discribes... sharp stabbing pains up the vagina and rectum lasting anywhere from minutes to over an hour. It is a random pain that comes out of nowhere and even when its over, there is still irritation. I have had these pains since I was about 13 years old and I am 24 now... I have many digestive problems, horrible periods, cysts, pelvic pain and lechin schlerosis. It even took many uncomfortable years to finally diagnose the lechin schlerosis- many moron doctors later. I have had colonoscopies, cat scans and many other tests including a laporoscopy 4 years ago. My doctor at the time did the incision through my belly button and didnt do the lower. I am just so fed up with the constant crampy feelings, pelvic pain and discomfort when my bladder is full and emptying as well... it seems like between my stomach and the pain and awful periods it can become very depressing at times... I do however experience esophogus spasms too (that feel like a heart attack)- is there possibly a disorder that makes parts of your body to spasm? I do however feel badly but better knowing that I am not the only one suffering from these pains... hang in there people till someone finds out what these pains are!

PS for all those people who kept saying these pains are just gas... I would love for you to actually have one of these attacks!!!
Hi everyone! I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago for what was thought to be a 10cm tumor on my cervix.  They went in there to do the hysterectomy and found that my cervix was 10 cm its normal size and the bottom of my uterus was 10 times the normal size and my uterus, cervix AND bladder were all severely prolapsed.  They removed the uterus and the cervix. I kept my ovaries as I am only 39 years old.  They did bladder repair with a hammock. Tied it up to stop the bladder prolapse.  The pathology results of my cervix is severe hyperplasia with atypia cells in the wash and a bit of adenomyosis.  According to my doctor the sharp shooting pains are not uncommon with a prolapse of the bladder, the rectum and or the cervix/uterus.  In men the bladder or rectum.  Ever since my surgery I have NOT had any more sharp shooting pains in my cervix, perenium or rectum or bladder. I am so fine now!  Go get checked out especially if you do heavy lifting for a job. I have for two years and I know this combined with my heavy cervix could have definitly caused my prolapsed bladder and prolapsed uterus and cervix.  Good luck friends.  Love and hugs to you all!
Hi...I have a slight vaginal prolapse (rectocele) my gyn says its not bad and very common after a baby, but could that also be included in reasons for the shooting pains? I know it's almost the same thing as the others you mentioned just slightly different location.
hiya. im 20 and have had the same pains. it is definately not trapped wind as both feelings are different!
i know when i am about to get the shooting pains its like a build up of numb weird pain and all of a sudden you become really sensitive in a bad way....i just get myself in the most comfy position possible and wait for them..... sometimes they are really severe and spread what feels like - up through my uterus, down by my opening and clit. which isnt nice at all. sometimes the pain seems to spread round to my ovaries but that i can cope with. sometimes the pain is so intense i collapse... it becomes more frequent when im on  the pill.....

i was really worried about these pains but it seems like alot of other people get them too so im not on my own....

i think i might get myself checked out anyway
i have had the same thing with my pregnancy as well,im 36-37 weeks. this is my first pregnancy, but i have felt pain in my anus,and in the vaginal area. They come and go,but mine has been kinda regular,and after i have a couple i start up with true labor contractions,but then stop. my Dr. told me that they were pains,and contractions to dilate and effacement. im already at 1 1/2 dilated, & 40% effaced so far. ive had these pains for the past 2 days straight again,they are so painful and aweful,so i think that you might be trying to dilate or something im not sure,this is me, and all pregnancies and people are diff, but i usually sit on my exercise ball, and lean forward to relax,sometimes that helps. i hope you get to feeling better! & Good Luck, hope everythings alright,but i would honestly get it checked if you havent,it could be something serious..bye!
I think you might have internal hemorrhoids.  That pain – I know it well – and the pain in your abdomen could be related and the reason for the anal irritation.  I would see a gastrointestinal specialist.  Do you have any rectal bleeding?
Hi Hayley
Yes I really do think your sharp shooting pains could be from your prolapse.  A rectocele is not something to dismiss.  It actually presses down on the sciatic nerves down in your pelvic floor causing the pains.  Once you are done with family planning you can probably talk to your doctor about fixing your rectocele. I am not sure what would be involved in that surgically but I am thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.  hugs..
I've had the problem through my anus for two years now, and now its switching to vaginal pain now too..there is no warning when the pain comes and its unbearable. I went to the doctor for the pain. Went through alot of testing. Which I have no patience for to begin with and the surgeon who they finally have come in said that it sounds like edometriosis, and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. So who knows. I've learned to deal with it. The pain under your rib cage for sure sounds like gall bladder issues. I had the same pain for weeks. Never went to the doctor about it, and then just out of the blue my gall bladder stopped working and it was the most hurrendous pain i ever went through. The gall stones ended up going to my pancreas and then causing pancreatis (pancreatitis) which I had to be starved for 15 days in order for it to heal properly in the hospital. So get that checked ASAP.
Wow... What we women go through!

Okay, first of all, to all of those people out there saying that these symptoms are simply gas: please go gather amongst yourselves and have a fart party. These pains that I feel are NOT gas. Thanks, though.

Anyhow, I have had these pains for a while now, and I just had several of them as I sit here at my computer desk, which prompted me to find all of you lovely people.

I have the worst, shooting pain in my vagina and anus, and I best describe it as "lightening". To me, it literally feels like lightening bolts shooting through your vagina and anus, and it's immobilizing. When it happens to me, as it just did, I have to grab the desk, lift my butt out of my chair, and muffle sounds coming out of my mouth that mock a dying pig!!! Damn, it's painful.

I'm 31 years old, I'm not sexually active, I've never had children, and I'm on my period as we speak. Come to think about it, it seems that when this happens most of the time, I am on my period. Is there a correlation? It sounds like it to me--at least in my case.

I have extreeeemly heavy periods that sometimes last for months on end, and I am scheduled for a pelvic ultrasound next month. I don't have health insurance, so I have to deal with clinics. I also have heavy clotting during my periods. I was recently prescribed Loestrin FE (birth control) to help curb my periods, but I've only been taking them a few weeks, so they haven't started working yet. Anywho, back to this pain...

It's miserable, and I thought it was only me!!! I'm sorry that you gals are going through it, too, but I'm glad that we're going through it together... I'm thinking that my issue may have something to do with my ovaries, and we shall see soon enough. I can remember when I was 13 or so, I had cysts on my ovaries, but this pain didn't happen until many, many years later.

Well, I'll be sure to keep you guys posted after I get back from the doctor. What I'm going to do, and what I'm going to suggest, is for us to have a pap, have an ultrasound, have your urine tested, and maybe even your hormones and thyroid.

Keep ya posted!!  XOXO
You could definitely have endometriosis, you should look into that and compare your symptoms..not saying that you do have it, but I'm learning it may be the cause of my pains. Check it out!!
i have the same pain every month one month it was so bad i actually went to the ER they did a pelvis exam and it came back that i had a cyst the ruptured!! that was what was wrong with me!!
Thanks, Haley... I'm gonna make sure I mention endometriosis to the clinic and see what the result is after my ultrasound. Of course, I don't want to have anything, but the fact is that something isn't right, so I just want to know at this point.

Let's keep us posted, ladies!

xoxo
You all can add yet another one to the thread! I have had this pain in the past, but the past two days has been torture! I have an OB/GYN appt in May. I will let you know what she says. I agree that I think a lot of us have the same pain, but perhaps different diagnosies. I did find a type of endometriosis that "grows" in the exact area the "lightning" comes. Google "Rectovaginal Pouch Of Douglas". You will see if your pain could be coming from there. Also check out Neuromas of the Recto-Vaginal Septum. Persist. Do NOT stop being a pain in the @** to the MD's until this is recognized and treated! Don't EVER give up on getting yourselves out of pain... I know I'm not!
i have little pains  that last all day i just had a termination 1 month ago but it just started im not prego i just checked mabe infection i dont know.....no smeel or dscharge or anything can any one HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read info about ureaplasma bacterial infections...check my old post re:bladder symptoms etc...maybe that will help!
A little update- I made an appt with an MD that is doing naturopathy.
I have learned that Candida overgrowth can be the cause of endo. You can Google Candida and read symptoms. She put me on a very inexpensive script that is an antifungal. Also, hormone imbalance is an area that needs A LOT more attention from the medical society! The tests they have now are not sensitive enough. Hormones don't "hang out" in the blood, it is found in the tissues. I am doing saliva testing for hormones and adrenal function. I will keep you updated.... hope this helps!
hi, i'm writing this because i have been suffering with sharp pains like described by so many of you, i get them a lot in my vagina, anus, center pelvis and to the right side of my pelvis sometimes even towards my ribs, the pains are unbearible at the time but i simply grit my teeth and pretend to smile, especially at work as im a dancer, then run off and bounce about a little with my hands putting pressure on the area and my legs crossed, soon as i get chance to try an make the pains stop, i have had so many tests now yet still the docs cant work out what it is, i have had my tubes flushed and repaired from apparent scar tissue, due to contracting an std and after treatment to dispose of it, i have been told there are several small cists on my ovaries but nothing that should cause these pains, i have had p.i.d on a reoccuring basis numerous times, i actually have lost count these days, i get reoccuring thrush, which they have put down to the fact i have to wear thongs for work, though i have changed the materials regular, i have had cancer cells removed from the cervix and womb twice, my consultant sat me down and told me it shouldnt happen to a girl so young but im afraid its spread we need to do a cone biopsy but was over ruled by other staff and a letter was sent to me stating i had made a miraculous recovery, lol, i also suffer from i.b.s and have done for a few years now, also i have been told i have endrometriosis, i constantly wind up in hospital having different antibiotics yet these are the excuses im given each time, now i am currently having more tests, i have had 7 miscarriges, i have low hormone, constant enemia no matter how much iron i take, lol, even been put on steroid treatment for my heart and blood pressure as i keep having breathlessness, dizziness, panic attacks and fainting spells, to be honest i am extremely active and very lively but these syptoms (symptoms) make me feel like a dying swan and its depressing, i seriously think its about time these world wide scientists and doctors were given the crucial funds so desperately needed by the so called electors and governments that deal with all the tax payers money to study and diagnose this issue, instead of wasting cold hard cash that was worked for by ourselves to paint pathetic mini round abouts and build unneccessary statues, tourist attractions etc..........FACE FACTS PEOPLE THE GOVERNMENT CARE MORE ABOUT HOW THEY LOOK TO OUTSIDERS THAN THE FOR THE WELFARE OF THE SOCIETIES HEALTH.....ITS ABOUT TIME WE HAD SOME ANSWERS AND PEOPLE WHO HONESTLY CARE IN GOVERNMENT......i wish you all the best of health and i will continue researching these symptoms myself informing you of anything i can find, that may ease these pains, my heart goes out to you all xx
Im Taylor and im noht even 13 i've had those pains and now when im writing dis I have them.I saw u guys said it was ovulation pains I didnt even get my period yeht and im very scard about it.I know its coming soon because I have went through the vaginal discharge already plz somebody help ! Im so unsure of myself. ='-(
It's GAS. I get it sometimes.. it goes away. IT'S ONLY GAS. Sometimes you may feel it through your vagina because these places are very close together.
It's not "GAS".....it's usually rectal spasms when they are that sharp and in that area.
UPDATE:

Well, I wrote the long post on March 30, at 9:08 PM. I had gotten a vaginal ultrasound, in which I went in for results today with all positive news: My ovaries are clear of cysts, I have no fibroids, and my uterus is normal, with the exception of being just a wee bit large. But everything was fine, and I really suffered with the vagina-to-anus "lightening". I have no insurance, and I was able to get assistance at a women's clinic. I paid $50 for the vaginal ultrasound, and I suggest anyone and everyone out there in doubt or in pain to go have the same procedure. Just know that if you're a virgin, you won't be after that procedure.  : )

If anyone wants to talk, have some questions, need some help, etc, feel free to e-mail me at: blue_theory***@****
AND IT'S NO DAMN GAS!!!!!!!!
Oh, yeah... I have been taking Loestrin 24 FE (birth control pills) for the past couple months, and will continue to to regulate my period. I've also been taking some herbal vitamins called Vitex. Sometimes birth control pills are even able to shrink cysts, if you have them.
Okay, I'm retarded... I didn't realize they blocked my e-mail address as spam on one of the above posts. But if anyone needs to talk, etc.

It's blue_theory[AT]ca[DOT]rr[DOT]com.
I have the same problems and i have cyst that come and go and the pain in my rectum was a polyp.
hi guys, couldnt believe when i read all these posts, im not alone after all,  yrs ago i just got really sharp pains up the rectum, could happen anywhere ad pray i would be up town as it was so so painful, but i only got this when it was the time of the month, i then started getting it mid cicle, it has gone from a few sharp very painful pains to having it for days, its my time of month now and i started getting them all day yesterday, by 8pm last night i couldnt walk, cough or move, sat in a hot bath crying and taking pain killers,  i also got this when i miscarried. i have alot of tum probs that are currently being looked into, bad pain under my rip that swells, and just bad tummy pain, its real hard as i have a 18 month ols son,  i also get bledding and a swelling on intercorse or if i try and hold my bladder, they tell me this is all normal for the ibs i have, i dont buy it at all xxx
and yes its worst than having a baby id much rather be in labour than when i have this, it makes me feel faint and i have 2 pant like im in a labour,  they said the hormone change in the body irraites the bowl whichcauses thesse mussle spazams, front and back, mmmmmmxx
orich
I thought i was all alone with this problem. I just had an attack, it was so bad I decided to look up my problem on the net, luckily I came across this site. The pain starts in the anus and shoots up the vagina and abdomen. It is intermittent but really severe. My period is due in 2 days, so I don't know because I cannot remember ever having this kind of pain.
Good luck to all.
wow. i'm extremely relieved to know i'm not the only one going through this. many of you have said this could be PID, an infection, gas, cysts, or some pretty serious problems. which sounds really scary.

I'm 19 and have had these anal pains a number of times now.
I can't recall if i was gassy or not in the past, and i know for sure that it wasn't always during my period. I get it a couple of times a year (not often) and it lasts less than a minute. I just got one this morning a little after i woke up... hence how i found this thread. YES it stops you dead in your tracks and you CANNOT move until it is over. I did notice i have been really gassy the past 2 weeks.

I currently have my period. THIS month and LAST i noticed that when my period was the heaviest and just starting ..when i went to use the bathroom it felt like someone was squeezing my a** hole and couldn't go #2. It felt like i had to go, but i couldn't.. it felt so tense as if it was stapled shut (if that makes sense) but i'm not sure if its related or not.

I've never had pain during intercourse.. except for in one position..
and i've never taken it up the... yea.

i kno all of you have said ITS NOT GAS!!!!!!
but if it's endometriosis, vaginal bacteria, cysts on your ovaries, or menstral... than why are there men on this thread complaining of this pain? they don't have a vagina.
i don't want to believe its gas because the pain is so horrible and it feels like there's something terribly wrong.
But so far it's the only explanation that make sense seeing as it's both men and women. I'm sure some of you ARE going through IBS or PID or some of the things you mentioned.
BUT I'M NOT. I really wish someone here had the answer for sure.
And i'm sorry to hear we're all having this pain.
Does anyone agree/disagree or have any thoughts? comparing could lead to an answer.
Ive had this pain on & off for years. I have also had trapped gas & NO.. this is not that. I know that hurts like hell too but its defo not that.

I get a pain I can't bear on the 1st couple of days of my period - in the crease of my right leg. I had an ectopic pregnancy & my right tube removed in 2000 & am pretty sure I have adhesions from the op. Been to hospital on 3 different occasions now to try & get to the bottom of it. Got sent for an ultra sound to see if there were adhesions only to be told that thats the only thing they don't detect!!

Recently this sharp stabbing pain in my vagina & anus is getting worse. I find if I have energetic sex it can make it worse the following day. I am due back to the Docs on Monday to discuss this further.. but its like banging your head against a brick wall with existing problems.. let alone what we are talking about here.. How come SO MANY OF US HAVE IT & NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

One thing I do know.. its certainly not normal or pleasant in anyway.
hey ladies! i have the same pain in my anus.... it doesn't happen very often, but when it does i feel like my butt is being ripped apart. i thought it had something to do with my irratible bowels. sometimes i get the pain when im having a bowel movement, and that is the worst.  it completely stops me dead in my tracks. i havent had the pain in a couple of months, thank god, i am 6 months pregnant right now...and wouldnt know what to do with myself if the pain starting to come again!
i have never experienced pain like that before, it it worse then when i was in labour with my first child. im lucky that my pain has only ever lasted 30 seconds at the most. i cant believe there is this many of us that are having this issue, and the doctors just shrug us off! in anyone finds out what could be the problem... let me know!! thank you
I have had the exact same pains as everyone here for over six years now. I am due to have a lap done as my GP suggested it is endometriosis. I am sure after doing much research that is indeed what we are all talking about. The pain is nothing normal and does very much stop you in your tracks. I ended up semi-conscience ( I am a hopeless speller!) taken to A&E were my blood pressure was 50 over 40. I was given a high dose of a strong painkiller and after 6 hours was told the reason why my blood pressure was so low was because the pain was that great. My GP told me the following day pain increases your blood pressure not decreases it.

She is adament I do have endo. And I would suugest that all the women on here suggest this to their GP's. Apparently it can only take three or ofur pin head size amounts of endo to create the severest amount of pain. And not all surgeons or doc's can find when they do operate as it can be well hidden underneath other organs.

But I am stumped as to why their are men with the same symptoms.

I hope I have been of some help.
help have had the pain for last 20 mins, anal and vaginal, and now cramps in bladder area and shooting pains across down and anus cramps???, my kids are getting scared as im just curled up on bed with hot water bottle, what can i do to make the pain go.......p.s im the only adult in the house and dont want to scare my kids anymore
Wow....I cant believe I finally found a thread were we share so many of the same symptoms.  I started having sporadic shooting pain in my vagina approx two months ago and now sporadic shooting pain that shoots up inside my anus.  Ugh!  Now though I am also getting pain that comes and goes.  More of a achey (achy) pain inside my vagina but its not constant.  This is so hard to explain.  I have also been experiencing pubic bone pain or actually more of a ache that will go from one side to the next side.  Again though....that pain comes and goes.  I went to my obgyn who did a exam and ran some test but nothing!  I then went to see a doc for the other end and right away he diagnosed me with IBS and a rectocele.  I had a MRI and just got those results and not only do I have a rectocele but I also have a cystocele and my vaginal vault is descending?  I have a appt for a colonoscopy this coming Monday.  Wish me luck there. After all these test we are discussing the optoins of surgery for repair.  Anyway....I'm starting to wonder if all this is tied in.  I have had problems with having a normal bowel movement for years now and just two months ago when all this pain started I had gone 5 days without having a bowel movement and right after that I had frequent urinations for approx 3 days.  No bladder or UTI infections, all checked out negative.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with any of these?  I was scared and felt alone but reading all of your comments I'm not so afraid anymore.  
Well, I was experiencing the same symptoms that a lot of you have mentioned in these posts.  I've had a heck of a couple of months, but I am feeling better.  

Two months ago, I started having the shooting pains which seemed to be high up in my vagina.  It scared me.  I'd never felt them before.  I also had a new boyfriend so I was concerned that it could be an STD.  I went to the doctor at my school.  They told me that I had bacterial vaginosis and a urinary tract infection.  They put me on antibiotics.....nothing got better.  Actually the shooting pains became more frequent and disabling.  I went back to the doctor.  He said my UTI must have been really bad and the antibiotics just didn't cure it b/c my 2nd urinalysis came back positive for infection.  So I went on heavy duty antibiotics.  Again, I didn't get any better.  I finally went to my OBGYN who has done 3 laproscopic surgeries on me for my endometriosis.  I couldn't go to him before because I didn't have health insurance.....but at this point, I was willing to pay to feel better.  My OBGYN was appalled when he examined me.....he said I had PID and a very bad case of it and he couldn't believe I'd been misdiagnosed twice.  He could tell just visually that it was what I had.  We ran tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, which were negative, but can cause PID.  In my case, it was the bacterial vaginosis gone bad....really bad.  He gave me an injection of Rocephin and a 5 day Zpack.  It took about 2 weeks, but I am finally feeling better and I have not had a shooting pain in over two weeks.  

My doctor did tell me that some of the pain could be my endometriosis spreading to new areas of my abdomen....that's just part of living with that disease.  Also, Endo cannot be diagnosed without a laproscopic surgery.  A doctor can "assume" that you have it, but they can't be absolutely sure until a laporoscopy is done.  

I have never had these types of pain before in my life, have never had an STD, but the first time that I ever had these pains turns out to be PID.  Anyone with these pains should ask their doctor about this because PID is a very serious infection that can cause infertility, and I believe, increase your risk of certain cancers.  Go to your doctors ladies!!!!  Hope I've given you some insight.....the last couple of months were the hardest of my life.....from thinking I had an STD from my new and loved boyfriend, to thinking my endo had advanced, to thinking I had cancer.....I also had to have some mental help through all of this too!!!  
hey hon.... how did everything go with the colonoscopy yesterday??

merebear12- OMG!! you poor thing!!  i have endometriosis as well... it has tapered off quite a bit since i had my daughter 4 years ago. it started to flare up again about 1 year ago... i am now pregnant again... and i have no pain. i guess i should just keep having more babies...LOL

as for the anal pain, i do get that once in a while still.... but it doesnt happen very often thank god! im not sure if its because im pregnant or not.
The colonscopy went as good as it can be I guess.  I never want to go through that again.  They found a polyp which they removed and sent to pathology.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that its benign.  Ugh!!!!!!!!  Also....I havent had any vaginal pain in over a week now or pubic bone pain.  What the heck.  Its so sporadic that I just dont get it anymore.  I'm so afraid that its gonna come back again out of no where?  Maybe the pain only happens if I'm constipated?  I'm keeping a calander and trying to keep track of everything.  I think I forgot to mention that I have also been having pain in my lower right cheek seat bone area that comes and goes.  Soooo I'm also wondering if maybe I have a nerve thats possibly being compressed by one of my many issuses that in return is effecting muscles and everything else?  Heck, I'm at a loss.  I have been getting lower back pain to though that comes and goes.  Or..maybe I am just now more in tune to every ache and pain?  
Just wondering.....on a different subject for me, what does endometriosis look like?  Can it be found inside the vaginal opening or is it something in the uterus, ovaries?  
Just thought I'd tell my short story. Had a hard fall on my bum (intoxicated) 3 weeks ago and did some real damage, seems to my L5 wihich is the lowest disc nerves.  For 2 weeks my anus, perenium and vagina were all numb and I would get these stabbing pains to my right labia (I ended up pinpointing it) if 'I bent over or stood unbalanced. I have spent the passed 3 weeks basically lying around on anti-inflamitory/painkillers and I'm glad to say haven't had the stabbing pain for a couple of days now. I felt like I'd had 10lb twins though and even though it wasn't, my anus felt like it was bulging out. Dr said this all normal for damage to nerve on lower disc. What I'm still going through now is that I have to actually push to pee still. Never happened to me before, but now it just won't flow naturally without effort. And the worst thing about the numbness coming back to my genital region has been the crawling under the skin, itching feeling thats just about driven me mad. I ended up shaving trying for some relief, and now I've got the bristle to deal with too.  But I'm feeling like I'm on the up side of things, even though the dr wrote on my medical cert he estimated improvement in 2 years. I'm thinking much more positively than that.  
THIS IS NOT GAS.....I know gas from a Charlie Horse which is what this pain feels like except a little more intense.  I have had this pain since I was in my early twenties.  It comes and goes... Sometimes I have it often and sometimes it doesn't surface again for many months, my mother has the same thing so it has to be genetic.  I find that the only thing that helps is when I feel it coming on I immediately take a muscle relaxer, it doesn't stop it but it eases the pain.  The one thing I haven't seen in the posts, and I haven't read them all is the bloating after this happens.  My stomach swells so much I actually look like I'm about 6 months pregnant and it is very hard to the touch.
It has come on during sex, no sex, sitting, standing, it doesn't matter.  I also have other problems and have been tested for everything.  They can't figure out what it is.  I feel for you guys.  The soreness after it is over lasts for days, it is much like a charlie horse is.  
Woah this post is still up and running.. I found it by googling up my symptoms, I read almost everyone's post.
I just experienced this pain for the 4th or 5th time in my life tonight. My first few attacks weren't so horrible, it only involved my vaginal area, and it sort of hurt to sit, it only lasted about a minute or two I think. Tonight however, all of a sudden I had the "knife-like" stabbing in my crotch, anus and abdomen. It was so painful I felt like I was going to vomit, and I was really pale and starting to get a cold sweat (that's what happens to me when I am about to pass out.) At first I was thinking maybe I had food poisoning, but then I didn't really get how vaginal/anal stabbing pain could be associated with that.. It lasted about half an hour, and I tried to go to the bathroom but it hurt so much to try to pee or excrete, because tensing up my muscles made it worse. I did my usual remedy for abdominal pain, laying on my stomach my cold bathroom floor, after a while I tried to go to the bathroom again, with success of both #1 and #2. The pain relieved a little, but by the time I summed up the courage to go to the bathroom again, then the pain was already starting to go away anyways.
I am not having my period, I am not sexually active, I do not drink, I am 20 years old. I have "self diagnosed" IBS, ahha, because I am freaked out by doctors. One time while having a horrible gas-attack type deal, I passed out and my parents made me go to the hospital in an ambulance, they did blood tests and what not, nothing unusual came back. My "IBD" pains and this "knifey anal pelvic" pain is quite different.
I got it all, too.  Urologist - said it was bladder spasms.  Detrol doesn't help.  GYN - says it's endo.  Nope.  Had a laproscopy surgery to rule that out.  Uro was there to do a bladder distentia.  I have IC apparently.  Been on meds for 3 years (quite expensive).  Pain still there, but has subsided a bit.  Had a Fissure.  Got it fixed.  Thought all was better, but same ol' story.  Got ANOTHER fissure, got it fixed, pain still there.  Blood tests show nothing wrong.  No stds, yeast infections, or bladder infections.  Now my GYN thinks I have Vulvar Vestibulitis (Vulvodynia).  I have researched this and it seems to fit some of my symptoms.  Going in next week for a biopsy of the Va-jay-jay (as Oprah would say).  Should be great... I hope this is it!  I just got married and I feel so bad for my new hubby... can't do much (if you know what I mean) when your scared of a "knife" feeling up your "areas."
THANK YOU! Finally I'm not alone. I would like to briefly add my two cents.  I have the shooting pain in the vagina (right before during and after my period) and the pressure/pain in the anus that makes you get up as sitting hurts worse. It is hell. I'm 22 and although I have had issues with painful, heavy, long, periods, these particular symptoms HAVE NOT OCCURRED until 4 months ago, when I got an IUD implant (I've been with the same guy for 7 years and did not want to be on hormones anymore for birth control and we're not having kids for a long time). The first time I felt this pain was during the implant procedure (which they are not kidding when they say it hurts more if you've never had kids). I stumbled out of the Planned Parenthood and had intense pressure on my anus or even my colon, like I had to poop really really bad and no matter what I couldn't. This was compounded with piercing vaginal pain. Now whenever I get my period, it like implant deja vu. It's debilitating, as you all have noted. Here's my theory. I nearly touched the ceiling when they implanted the IUD and it's very possible that either they, or me in my tension, hurt something. I didn't see any other IUDs in the posts with my symptoms, but I saw a lot of hysterectomies and surgical procedures and births. Maybe it is that pelvic floor thing, as that would tie me into the seemingly unrelated posts by women who have surgeries OR childbirth. I think it may be in some cases an over-tensed or strained pelvic floor! It even fits with those poor posters who have had cysts and tumors removed. The procedures could have maybe led to damage, making many of us different manifestations of the same problem. I could be wrong. I would appreciate any thoughts as I am currently trying to deal with stabbing vaginal pain and a pressure and pain on my anus which comes from no where and makes me get my butt off the chair. Good luck to all of you!!!!
I thought i was alone regarding these pains. I have had these pains for about 5-6 years and I am now 23 yrs old. I had a long term partner 5-6 years ago and I was diagnosed with clamydia (chlamydia) with him. I got pills to clear it up right away. I started having pain when having sex around the time i was diagnosed with clamydia (chlamydia) (especially having sex 'doggy style'...) ..

When i get these pains, i cannot move as it hurts to move, i cannot put pressure on my behind as it hurts...The spasms are mostly in the anal area but travel up to the front.

I had told my doc about it last year and she had me get a vaginal ultrasound and it came back negative...

I was recently told i had bacterial vaginosis...I finally got this cleared up as well. As well a few months ago, i had my gall bladder out- not sure if this would relate it to anything-

I use to get these pains alot when it first started 5-6 years ago, but i have noticed i do not get the pains as much thank goodness!

I was sitting today at my desk at work and got a few painful spasms in the anal area and wanted to scream and i did as well start just my period when i got those pains...I did as well have really bad gas- so maybe the period+gas= these pains?

So to sum up all of these posts, some people suggested it could be any of these diseases:

-endometriosis
-pelvic inflammatory disease
-cysts on ovaries
-Proctalgia Fugax
-gas?

I will continue to wait for other responses as i have no idea what it could be! :(

WE NEED A CURE!!!
Its gas....  

Errrrr NO, IT IS NOT GAS!!!!!!

I came across this post after googling 'sharp searing pain', and it only took about 2 mins to find this long thread.. I saw 2005 as the date and assumed the thread wouldve just died off, but nope, 2008 and we're still writing in it!

Ive had these sharp, lightening, searing, stop you dead in your tracks, electric shock type (whatever you want to call it) pains for little over a week now.  
I feel like pain in my vagina, kind of inbetween my vagina and my bum.. I think anyway!
The pain last seconds, thank goodness.. but instead of being a slight agony(!) like it was at the start, its now quite bad - it seems to last a bit longer and also with a second wave of it.  Afterwards Im so wary of a 3rd wave that I end up walking around really softly and holding my lady bits!!

I had thought it may be related to needing a pee, as sometimes the pain came right before I peed - but not all the time.  It also comes after Ive been sitting for like 30mins, but sometimes I sit for longer and dont feel it when I get up.. I just cant get to the bottom of it.

I have felt pains around my ovaries before - although *nothing* like this pain, and been told it could be adhesions from the ectopic surgery, but that that wouldnt happen/I wouldnt feel it this soon after.

They started off not long after I was bleeding from my bum (nice eh!), I plucked up the courage to let the doc have a look, after sticking his finger up my bottom he didnt find anything.. no fissures, no piles - which I thought it may be, and gave me a conclusion of constipation.. I had been straining for about 3 days prior to the bleed...  but some senokot loosened things up and now my bowel movements seem to be fine.

In Nov 07 I had a copper coil fitted...
4 months ago I had an ectopic pregancy (coiled removed as soon as the pregnancy test came back positive) and removal of my left tube, after that the surgeon said the tube already looked damaged from a previous infection.

I believe I have lactose intolerance (within an hour of anything milky I have the feeling that I have to go *right now*, then Im on the loo with severe cramps, feeling hot and faint, quite sick and end up with water like poop (sorry).

Ive had an upper GI and that came back normal.

Im wary of going back to the doctors as theyve already done an ultra sound on me, an X-ray, a few blood tests and the endoscopy, all trying to get to the root of why my tummy hurts, feels tense and why I feel nausous alot.. but I feel this pain may not be related.

..If I find an answer I will post it here.. but I wont hold my breath!

Thanks for reading (.. Im off to fear the next time it hits..)

Hugs,
Nikkixx.

I should add, that the bleeding from the bottom started 1 day prior to my period starting, the lightening pain started 2 days into my period.. my period lasted the usual 5 days (eneded yesterday) and Im still feeling thelightening/searing pain today.   So, for me, ts not Ovulation pains either.
i have recently experienced these pains also. at first it was a "once in a blue moon" thing but yesterday i was crippled by them for at least 10 min. it probably would have went on longer but i popped three pain pills and went to bed. now when i did wake up i did have some gas and even now as I'm typing this i still feel a small aching feeling in my lower abdomen. nothing too bad though. i am ovulating so i just attribute the pains to that...
Well... I went and got a biopsy at the Gyn.  P.S. That does NOT feel good.  It came back normal.  Everything I do comes back normal.  SO... he thinks all of this is Vulvar Vestibulitus (sp?).  He says the spasms are damaged nerves triggering and causing the painful spasms.  So I was perscribed Amitriptyline (an anti-depressant) that will actually "numb" the triggering nerves!  Hope that works... I start it tonight.  He also said that the spasms can feel like they are in the Va-jay-jay and Rectal area.  This is good news (for now).  Anyway, I am also going to start Physical Therapy and biofeedback to help the spasms and heal the nerves.  Some people see improvement in a few weeks, others a bit longer.  One of his patients is 95% cured after 12 weeks of PT/biofeedback.  I am really hoping this is it.  It's been a long 3+ years and I want it to be over.
Nikki_08 - I cant log in for some reason.

Just wanted to add to my previous 2 posts that these pains started again for me last night.. right after I thought 'oh, Ive not had those horrible pains for a while' typical.  
They started right after I had a wee, and Id not had much to drink yday so maybe thats a factor, I dont know.  They didnt last seconds and do away, they lasted a while and came more often and also kept me awake.  Ive just been to the loo, for a lil wee and #2, sorry if tmi, and I got the pains again, only slight though, now I feel a dull ache deep down in my abdomen, that seems to go down into my pelvis and every now again  I get a twinge, am just hoping Im not getting them more often now.
I am due on in 5 days, so Im not sure if thats a factor either.
I noticed for ages now I feel a pressure deep down when I wee, like a build up or something, I cant explain it, but as usual urine tests come back fine, so I dont know.
Hello to all of you. Just thought I'd say to all of those who might want to know I have the exact same problem and for years i've just had to deal w/ it. The doctors have all but tried to remove what is left. The Drs know only the things they are experienced in and then still they are limited. Rest assured they will do their very best to discover what it is they think is the source of the problem after years of poking and probing for the answer but by then you still don't know and your insurance no longer covers you because of your problems. I'm 29 and for 7 yrs this problem has persisted I've been diagnosed with rectocele' which is a hernia on the rectum. The bleeding the radiating pain from the anus during sex,during uriation, during defacation, all feels like a sharp baloon has been blown into the rectal cavity and intrudes into the pelvic region{rectocele is where a hernia has developed from long periods of strain(like prolonged child birth)and it is protruding into the walls of the vagina and penetration makes it inflammed} during urination and defacation after sex I find is the most painful. Sitting on the toilet for 45min to an hour is not my idea of fun because standing intensifies the pain.
The Drs had placed me on Lupron a shot they give in the buttox to shut down the ovaries as to locate the source of the problem and to see if it still persisted once the brain was no longer producing estrogen, and then when this didn't work they injected into the main nerve of the pelvic region (a steroid injection) and when this didn't work they removed a problematic ovary which was cystic after a laproscopy. After years of treatments and still no answers for the source of this problem I have just learned to deal with it. The mind is a powerful thing and when you convince yourself during small episodes that it doesn't hurt your body grows and adjusts to the level of pain at which you can tolerate. Thanx for listening and hope this helps.
Hey, I was told rectoceles don't cause any pain, but I always wondered if that was true. I thought they were just annoying as far as not being able to poop properly and maybe contributed to painful sex!? That's very interesting that you say this!! So, they can be painful I take it? I didn't have these pains until around the same time I realized I had a slight rectocele after I had my daughter! Do you know how bad it can get if you have more kids!!? Thanks for your info!
That comment from a health professional is like me telling you that when I smack you it won't hurt. The question is how would "I" know what is painful to "you"?The GYN told me they can progress untill they completely shut off the rectum and surgery has to be performed to have it removed.Just remember, the Dr also said they don't just go away and progress into something bigger over time with "added" strain. The reason mine is so inflammed continually is I have had four natural child births and with the last one I had to push him through the still thickened cervix.I had pushed so hard that I had a bruise from head to toe after delivery, along with other complications. The fact remains that this won't go away on its own, and also I know sometimes with other female issues: IBS, pelvic prolapse, only to mention a few, we all have a tendency to strain TOO MUCH for many things and defacating is the name of the major contributer to this paticular issue. My GYN didn't operate because he only deals w/ issues of the female anatomy and tried to convince me that a hysterecomy would have to be performed, and this isn't true. A gastroinerologist can help you decide what can be done and the steps to take in order to help you cope with the problem. I find that straining is second nature w/ me since that is all I done for years having constipation w/ IBS as well. So don't strain if not necessary and remember go when you feel the urge not after. I find this to be very helpful in not having to strain as much. Thanx for your questions and I hope it helps!  
I had another little visit with my back end doctor Friday and asked him if that since I have been diagnosed with a rectocele, cyctocele and my vaginal vault is decending if any one of those could cause the ache/pain inside my vagina.  His answer was yes...of course it could.  With all the stretching of the vaginal wall caused by these hernias that protrude up against the wall of the vagina that over time it can start to cause these pains.  Mine started off as shooting pains that would last seconds and would be very sporadic but have now turned into more of a dull ache/twinges of aches that come and go.  I may get them for a few days in a row and then nothing for two weeks and then may get one or two more and then nothing again for a month.  I also get pressure in the pelvic floor pubic bone area also.  I think constipation is causing that along with the rectocele.  All that pressure over time and all that straining up againt the vaginal wall is causing these problems.  I had my last kid 13 years ago and ever since them having a normal bowel movement has been a problem but I just wrote it off as normal but its not normal and has now progressed into something worse where if my biofeedback class ( my doc has it pooping school because its suppose to teach me how to use those muscles correctly)  then surgery is our next step to correct all these issues.  Good luck to everyone.  I hope we eventually find a solution to these problems.
I think it is Levator Syndrome in the Pelvic Floor.  I am already on treatment for it and it seems to be working.
hi there just to let you all know this is not just a northern hemisphere issue - we down under suffer from the anal pain aswell. my gyno (female) said it was uterus contractions due to menstruation - I have had no illnesses - no children and average amount of "normal" sex over the years. I am now 2 years post menopause and have finally become sympton free - Believe me I understand the horrific pain you have all endured - you may just simply have to wait - it one of those CROSSES WE FEMALES ARE BORN TO BEAR   !~
But what if you a male and suffer from this pain?  See my earlier post.  Also, I'm curious if anyone read "A Headache In The Pelvis" that I had posted above?  I'd like to hear feedback if you have.
hey,
i just wanted thought i would share this experience with you because well, its hilarious!
so i went to my doctor years ago for this exactly problem. but my sisters and i call it little green men well, because it feels like little green men are living inside us and poking us with their tiny swords! and yes, sometimes we jump on our tiptoes because its such a shock of pain. so the doctor tells me that my little green men is because my prostate is swollen!!! prostate!!! he told me i have a prostate gland!!!! wherein females have a form of a prostate gland it is not called the prostate gland!! so i guess i'm a boy now. : ) haha  so when he told me that my jaw dropped and i just smiled and left. gee thanks doc, dont think i'll be asking any serious questions again.  so i asked my new doctor and he said the same thing gravekelly said, so its nice to know why this occurs but that doesn't take the pain away does it.  but it is good to know what it is and why it hurts so much. hearing what you all have to say it also makes me not so worried about labour pains cause heck, if i can take those pains sounds like labour pains aren't much worse, good news on that front then. : )
well, to anyone in the future who is looking up this pain, good luck to you and i hope you find your way to relief.  i just breathe with it and let it go and try to relax my muscles and not tense up.
hope you all enjoyed the prostate thing as much as i did. lol
I hope someone can help. Back in August 2007 I had a spinal fusion and laminectomy of the
L5 & S1 due to degenerative disc disease, a tear in my lumbar & scoliosis. The surgery went well so I thought. Suddenly though in November 2007 I started to have severe pain, at the time I thought It was my tailbone. I went to orthopedics, neurologists, physical therapy, gastrologists you name it. As the months past my pain was getting worse it was coming from my rectum and radiating down my left leg. The pain in my leg is a burning pain like sciatica. I also had pain between my vagina and rectum.I also am constipated all the time and right on the inside of my rectum there are lumps like hemroids but I have had the doctor try and lance them that did not work. They look like little tumours, no doctor could tell me what was wrong. I can no longer sit up or walk or stand. I have lost 60 lbs, and keep losing weight. In march I decided to go see a gyenocologist he told me I had a rectocele, cystocele, and my bladder had turned upside down. We schedualed surgery for May 6th 2008. Well I had sugery the doctor performed a hysterectomy, rectocele, cystocele, bladder pinup and also removed enbometreoses from my right ovary, and now my pain is worse again. The pain is so severe I am on muscle relaxers and pain killers and they don't help. I can not work, my pain is with me 24/7. The only time I can get a break from the pain is when I sleep, so I try to sleep all the time. This severe pain has consumed my life for the past 11 months. I am 34 I have 2 kids and I can not get my life back. Please tf any one knows something I need help taking away the pain.
its this that were all having:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax

and men have it too so dont feel like youre not "right" or any of that.

and you wouldn't know if it has anything to do with your period if youre having both about once a month or monthly. wouldnt be able to tell unless your period stops.

it has nothing to do with sex.
definitely not. im only 14. i had an attack just a few minutes ago. it lasted for about half an hour. i woke up at 3 am in the morning and wondered why the hell this was happening. and i had mathematical equations in my head too -_- that part is just me. i remember seeing 2x+3=y. AHHHA but im sure that was only from my dream

and theres no cure ): well not yet... god damn doctors.
Hi, a friend of mine emailed me this link and iv been reading through your posts. I thought i was the only one going through all this pain and felt so alone, i couldnt talk to anyone because nobody understood what i was going through or should i say still am going through! i dont get shooting pains in my vagina, i get shooting pains in my anal area and it hurts so much it brings me to tears, i cant sit, walk or do anything for the first few days of my period, all this started almost 2yrs ago when i gave birth to my little girl and i thought it would pass but it seems to be getting worse every mth, i went to the docs a few mths ago and they dont seem to know what the cause is, they just said it happens to alot of women and not to worry! they did prescibe me some tablets called 'mefenamic acid tablets' which do help alot and take alot of the pain away but they are strong tablets and i dont want to be on these for a long time, i just want to know what is causing this and if theres anything serious wrong with me, if only i could pass the pain on to the docs, would they understand and help then!! im going back sometime next week and this time im going to see if they will examine me and see if they can find out what it could be, i cant carry on like this and its putting me off having anymore kids! Again im glad im not alone and its really helped me reading your comments, thankyou and i hope we can get to the bottom of this.
I started having these same problems the day after having my 2nd child. I have had tests for STI's (negative) and 2 scans (all is as it should be) The pain strikes every month or other month and is mainly anal but also vaginal. It feels like I've sat on a knife when I sit and also painful in my abdomen and when going to the toilet. I saw a specialist and he believes it to be trapped wind.(Pain varies from mild to severe in different people) Drink more water and eat more sensibly. Apparantly peppermint helps (tea, supplements)
Trapped wind it self is not life threatening (just bl**dy painful) but can be early signs of something else so everybody- GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.. It is a little embarrasing (I know) but lots of people suffer with this.
You can also read up on trapped wind on the internet. It helps.
I have not had the pain for 3 months now and all I have changed is not eating quickly and drinking more water.
I suffer exactly the same i googled my syptoms (symptoms) and found this forum.
I have the shooting pains up my bum and vagina too and all i can do when it happens is stand and breath through it, it can be quite embarassing when it happens, and it usually leaves my womb feeling bruised and it hurts to sit, it has sometimes caused me to bleed mid cycle when these pains happen. I was diagnosed with endometriosis in 2001 and cysts on my ovaries which sometime if i move quick or sit awkward i feel like something has twisted. At the moment im getting a lot of pain in my groin and back and im going to the doctors in about 30 mins, so will update on what he says. Everytime ive seen my doctor they say my endo was mild when i had my lap in 2001 but it does get worse, and me and my husband hardly ever have sex now as im usually in pain for days after.
Its definately worth getting checked for endo, as if you have it in an area called the (pouch or douglas) like i do it causes these sharp pains!
It definately isnt GAS!

Ladies I to have been having this but my pain is right between the anus and vagiana, and sometimes it last for days coming and going. I have had endometriosis and have had cervical cancer. Now however I have to go in and have a MRI as they think this could be oviarian cancer...a cyst or an infection of some sort. I do have something there and its about 2 inches big but it is clear  with spots, this is on my overie. Do yourselves all a favour and just get checked. They to had me checked for stds which pissed me off because I knew it wasnt anything like that and it was going to be a waist of my time but I did it just to shut them up, of course it was negative. If you get checked it may save your life if it is something serious. I will keep you all informed at least we arent alone in this pain. Good luck ladies.
I am suffering from this problem at the moment, I usually have it everytime I am on my period. But this time it is excrutiating, I just had a bout of it and it lasted for at least ten minutes. The longest I have had it. I have also lost alot of blood which I am also concerned about?
I was told I had Pelvic Inflamation (inflammation) Disease (PID) a few months back, but I was told it would go away?
Any help would be fantastic.

I cannot believe this post is still going but I am really pleased it is. I have been suffering with this for about 6 months now, I also have really painful periods and heavy bleeding. The sharp stabbing pains in the vagina seem to come a couple days after or before my period. I am 36 and dont think my periods should be getting MORE painful as I get older. I have had an ultrasound but nothing showed up and was then just left to it without any further tests. I have a feeling its endo and apparantly this cant be detected from ultrasound alone?

I am going to my doc on Monday, have had enough of this, it feels like my bowel and bladder are also affected in some way, its the hardest pain to describe so I am so glad I found this site.  This isnt normal, is in no way shape or form gas and has me concerned, am going to get to the bottom of it.

Shooting sharp pains like this must be happening for a reason...i even find that the same pain sometimes happens in the sole of my foot at the same time (this is a new one!)

I will let you know of my progress if anyone is still reading!

To all of you, get checked...with so many terrible diseases etc out there early detection is vital!!.

x
It's nice to know that I'm not the only person feeling this pain!
I actually experienced this for the first time a couple of nights ago. I've been have irregular periods for a year - really heavy, lasting 4-7 weeks, and no cramps. I went to my gynocologist and she put me on birth control to stop the bleeding - three pills a day for the first week, then two a day for the second week, and down to one a day by the third week. I'm in the fourth week of my pills (inactive pills) so I'm on my period. Since this is the first time I've been on birth control, I'm not sure if it's my body getting use to the hormones. I've had cramps before (and I must admit that after not having cramps for a year - they suck!) but the sharp pain that shoots from what feels like my uterus to either my anus or vagina is that worst! My reaction to the pain is grabbing my crotch and butt at the same time, and when it's over with, I laugh at the thought of what I must have looked like.
Wow. just like everyone else i am shocked as to how long this thread is going and i also found it by typing symptoms into google
i read alot of your guys' posts and im really happy im not the only one.

i considered that it could jus be gas, but the pain seems more overwhelming to jus be gas.

Now, i dont even want to go to my doctro since your guys' doctros seem to say its cusaed by 'lifted ovaries' or just say nothing.

well good luck to all i guess, jus thought id add to this thread !
=)
P.S. i just read more and it seems like its generally cysts in the ovaries?
Should i get it checked out? do you have to get naked infront of the doctor? D:
I too receive the sharp pains up the rectum.  Now that I'm paying more attention it does seem to occur just before or the first couple days of my period.  Usually 1-3 times a cycle.  It's not necessarily at night - it can occur anytime of day.  For me, shortly aftewards I usually do have a bowel movement.  The pains are so sharp I do buckle over - usually they do subside within a minute.  I recently had a perforated diverticulitis and during the CT scan it was noted that I had a couple of cysts on my ovaries as well.  My general Dr. did not seem over concerned with them though - maybe because I had a bigger problem to deal with instead.  Then last month I did end up having a colon resection.  My period came just about 2 weeks after surgery and I had these pains about every 10 minutes for 2-3 days!  I ended up home frm work for another 3 days.  Each time I would feel the urge to to to the bathroom, go through a long 'spasm' and then maybe just have the tiniest diarreah (diarrhea).  Then one time during the night, I had one that lasted about 40 minutes!  The pain was so bad and persisted so long I thought I was about to pass out.  If it hadn't stopped soon and I had 3 young children sleeping, I would have called a Dr. or gone to hospital.  I've read about Proctalgia Fugax - and it does sound like the symptoms only mine occur any time of day.  I also ready some nerve related articles too.  I also had back surgery back 4 years ago on L5/S1 disc with a couple more hernieations....It does sound like a muscle spasm that may be triggered when there's more swelling in that area or something and possible due to hydration.  That last horrible month - the Dr. did tell me to have the Metamucil twice daily (i mix with just 1/2 the water) and drink lots of water.  Once I started this and ate only soup and crackers for a day or so...the diarreah (diarrhea) lessened as did the spasms (or episodes).  I am just starting my next period so we'll see how this goes.  I have added a lot of Fiber to my diet but still need to work on drinking much more water.  I have asked quite a number of people about this issue and I know MANY women who have had this at least occassionally if not monthly as well.  We just never talk about it.  If I continue to have pains or if they get as bad as last time, I will be discussing further with my Dr.  High Fiber and lots of water can only add to a healthy diet - not hurt.  It has been recommended to me due to the Diverticulitis as well.  It's sure worht a try!
Wow~  I thought I was the only person who got those sharp shooting pains in my butt...a pain so severe and sudden that I am stopped cold and have to stand and brace myself for what I know will be roughly a minute of immeasurable pain.  I never know when they will hit but yes, I have noticed it is near the time of my menstruation.  This has been occurring for several years, but with no regular frequency so I have not sought medical help for this.  When I mention it to others, they act as though I am crazy and don't know what I am talking about.  It is definitely not gas...nor anything to do with the need to have a bowel movement.  It has been about 6 months since last I experienced this and would be happy to go the rest of my life without them visiting me again.
I started having these sharp pains a couple of days ago and it feels like the are between the butt and the vagina and I have to do the side to side shifting dance to get the pain to ease off.  This morning they caught me in the car, good thing I was at a red light waiting.
My period just finished and I am not sure if they are related to that.  I do have the normal monthly ovulation pains and they are either on the left or the right side just below the navel depending, and can last for a couple of days.  That is usually a steady pain which is accompanied by pain in the breasts.  
This pain is sharp and stabbing and feels like everything is going to fall out.  I recently changed my diet to include fruits four times a day and plenty water.  Don't know if I have a reaction to the fruits or a particular type of fruit.
I will monitor when they happen and see if they relate to some pattern..
I actually do the same thing some times Its like a sharp shooting pain but It only last for at least 3 seconds, But I only experience it When Im about to When Im on it or when im just getting off my cycle.
Hi im 17 years of age, and im sexually active with one guy only. i have been for the past 4 months. but just today, i constantly feel the need to pee, but when i sit on the toilet only two or three drops come out, then i get this crazy stabbing pain inside of my vainga. i feel the need to urinate every half hour, and the same thign happens. the pain is excrushiating...any idea's what might be going on?

thanks.
x
Wow! Like everyone else I was experiencing these symptoms and googled my pain. Just  a few minutes ago I had an attack of sharp anal/vaginal pain like lightning bolts in various angles up toward my abdomen...it was the first time I'd ever experienced this so I was concerned. I thought it may be related to a dull aching pain I have in my lower abdomen near my ovaries that shifts side to side but also sometimes aches right under my ribcage at the same time. My doctor told me he thought it was a strained muscle after I had a vaginal ultrasound and it showed nothing unusual...but I'm sure he was full of it. I've been experiencing these pains for almost four years...but I just don't want to go to an OBGYN but considering this new pain I feel I have to now. Sometimes I tinkle on myself...just maybe a drop or so, and I thought it might be related as well...especially considering I'm only 20 and have never had a child or anything. I think I'll go see a doctor...but please anyone let me know if you can think of what might be wrong!
Oh my goodness gracious. Every single thing you just described I have been going through for the past 2 years. I'm also 20, and have no medical insurance. I'm a college student, and medical anything unfortunately gets the back seat. Ive been reading through pretty much every post from every woman (and man) and am stunned to see that we can't find any answers; As simple as they seem they should be. I'm sick of it. I wants answers!
I've been having these pains for a while, I explained it to my husband as if my vagina was falling out.  They have been more intense since I had a IUD placed 1.5 years ago.  I have never had a child nor been pregnant.  the pain often subsides when I sit in teh hot tube or bath.  About 7 years ago my GYN suspected I had endometriosis, but I was never tested.   They treated the symptoms by placing me on depo.  At the time I was pretty stupid to the whole birth control  concept and only agreed to get rid of the cramping.  I've been thinking of having my IUD removed hoping that this will get rid of the pain.  
Thankyou everyone for sharing! Finally, recognition that this pain is universal!

So glad I found this thread. I am 22 and have had the same reoccuring sharp shooting pain up through my cervix to my abdomen for as long as I can remember (after starting my periods). It doesn't happen very often or usually last longer than a few seconds so it usually gets overlooked. I spoke to my mum when I first started getting this pain and she said she always used to get the same pain too!

doomer99 (Note. Man) describes it perfectly for me "like a lighting bolt shooting from the [cervix, in my case] up.  My longest sustained episode lasted 5-10 seconds, but felt more like 5 years!  The pain is so unbearably intense, that I find my self on my tippy-toes or squirming until it ends."

Thanks to Knowitall32 for sorting us out into 'pain groups' !! If I don't know what it IS at least I can say what it isnt.

I can feel that my pain isn't gas, and it has never woken me up so I don't think it's proctalgia fugax.

Like pained555, I had an IUD and it caused me a lot of pain from the moment they put it  in. It slipped and after 2 terrible periods I had them take it out (I still get occasional discomfort from that). However this pain is seperate to that too.

I also had chlamydia when I was 18 and know the similar pain felt during sex that has been described by some people.

The sitting-on-a-blade pain I get however doesn't happen during sex ever. It happens sporadically when I'm in a car or walking to town or whenever!

My pain is also too straight up the middle and irregular/infrequent for me to think it has something to do with my ovaries.

I think what I get and what some people have described affects men and women, after some gentle prying my boyfriend described a similar feeling he's had "maybe 6 times" in his life, though he described it as being felt more in the penis. He did also describe it making you freeze and then it passes.

I hope our combined stories can help some doctor folk figure out what exactly we are experiencing!
I think maybe some of us are having different things.  Thanks to so many of your stories, I have looked up on mayoclinic . com and I think I've got Cystocele.  There's no "bulge" hanging, but when it first happened---I thought my uterus was falling out!!  (just like when I was pregnant & had the pain & thought the baby was coming out)  I'm going to try to stop lifting heavy things and also to practice pelvic muscle exercises like the Kegel.

I had the sharp pains at the end of my last pregnancy and we thought they were the vaginal "hemorroids (hemorrhoids)" that I had started getting during this 5th and last baby.  Then, a month after a very fast & extremely painful labor&delivery, I started having them again.  

They are sharp "knife" type pains in my vagina area that bring me to the floor.  They last from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. I don't have any pain like that in my anus area--I have had those before, but I knew those were gas.    My husband has had sharp "knife" symptoms in his side and sometimes all the way down his penis.  They do seem to have been caused by gas.  My pain is mostly just like a sharp searing pain in my vagina---like someone stuck a knife from the inside coming out.  Also, sometimes it does come during PMS, BUT they've started coming other times of the month, too.   It also started up after I was carrying firewood and lifting my hefty 3 year old.  I am overweight---need to lose 30 pounds to be at my "healthy" weight.  I'm hoping that after I've lost the weight, maybe I won't have them.  I've also stopped lifting heavy things.  Sometimes, they feel better after urinating.

I noticed in the above posts that some of the "victims" are men, some are women who have never had children, some are young teens on their periods/pms, and some, like me, never had these symptoms until after having a baby.  I don't know if we all have the same problems...here is a summary of some ideas that I've read on here:  cystocele, rectocele, enterocele (vaginal hernia), endometriosis, IBS, PID, STDs, Proctalgia Fugax, and gas.  

My self diagnosis is Kegel exercises, lose weight, urinating more often, and stop lifting things until the pain doesn't come anymore.  

I may also call the doctor and see if he knows anything...I did have it during my pregnancy, but not as often (and all they said was to lie down).  If he says anything worth==I'll post it!

Hi There:
Is this medhelp or anybody help??? Wellmy comment on this pain is that I believe it comes from an out of place uterus. My uterus tips sometimes and I think that is when I feel this pain. I used to go to the OB/GYNE more often and he would adjust it forward and it would be fine till it tipped again. Just another idea.I hope it helps some of you.When we roll around and try to sit funny to stop the pain, it might move it just enough to stop the pain.
Something similar to this happened to me and im only 14 years old, and i've never had sex.. and i dont know what's going on.
I READ A ARTICLE ABOUT PHANTOM VAGINAL SPASMS, AND THERE'S REALLY NO KNOWN CAUSE, OR TREATMENT FOR THESE TYPE OF EPISODES. I'M CURRENTLY ON A PRESCRIPTION FOR PONSTEL 250MG, IT HEPLS BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.
I get this too, only recently it has caused me constipation and ive never had this before.I dont know whether my fizzy drinks at work are helping the matter.because the sharp pains also escalate into wind.When i am in work i feel like i must spring off my chair or lean to a more comfortable side.because of the stabbing pains from my butt to my lower stomache feels like someone is scraping my insides.Also get the cramping too.Ive never had a child before,but I feel like if labour is sorer than that...then im not up for it!!! My doctor is rubbish I feel embarrassed to even say because my actual doctors are prudish believe it or not and make me feel un comfy!!..help
I reseaced this, and here is what I came up with.....

Anal fissureThis is a small tear in the skin at the opening of the rectum. It is usually caused as a result of straining and stretching the rectum when passing a hard stool. Anal fissures can also occur if the anal sphincter (the muscle that controls the anal opening) is too tight to pass stools.The pain is a sharp knifelike pain that returns during the times when the anal opening is irritated. It can be very very painful during bowel movements especially if you get constipated or dehydrated. A dull throbbing pain may then take over and it can last for a long time......hours.
My sister has had these pains for years. Doctors thought it was her uterus and ovaries so they took them. Pains still persisted and increasingly got worse.

She finally found a specialist that helped her. She has polyps in her anus and that is the cause of the pains. He can be serious if not taken care of.

Please she a gastrionologist (spelling). She your regular dr and he can refer you to one.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read all the posts.
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I am a male and I have been having these shooting knife pains in my *** for years! It first happened when I was in the army 5 years ago, as I was walking the pain shot up and it felt almost as if it was in my lower spine, then would go away after a second or two. Later it's been more frequent and I know its not in my spine its somewhere in my anus. I still have no idea what it is and was always embarrassed to ask doctors about it especially when they look at you strange.

I just noticed it's mostly women on here talking about their ovaries but I do not have a set of those. I don't think it's just a female related problem. I thought it was caused by my excessive diarrhea growing up that maybe the acid slowly ate a whole into the lining or something. It does frustrate me and upset me, and is the worst pain I've ever felt, if it ever lasted a minute I would pass out.

I'm gonna go get it checked out and I will report back if I do find the problem.
Glad that I'm not the only person experiencing this, though you'd think there'd be some solution with modern medicine. Unless you nearly drop dead from it, doctors seem unconcerned.

I start getting anal cramping a little before my period and more when it starts. It hurts even to urinate. One solution I've found is Kava Kava, an herbal muscle relaxant. Trouble is, the pains come on suddenly. I've learned to anticipate it, so I take the Kava Kava capsules before leaving the house.

I'm going to an acupuncturist soon for this reason, so we'll see if that offers any relief.
FYI.............

My sister saw a b u t t doctor (forgot the name sorry) and he says the reason for the pain can be caused from two different things. Number one, polyps in the rectum. Number two, spasms in the anus. The spasms may not even be something that you feel other than the pain associated with them. If this is the cause then massaging the anus when the pain occurs will help reduce the pain. If it is the polyps they will have to be surgically removed. The polyps can become serious if not taken care of.

Please try to see a b u t t doctor(sorry again can not remember what they are called) and have the test done to see which is the reason behind your pain.

I know what u are talking about...omg...i thought that i was the only one that went threw that...mine also dont last long...never anything longer then a minute but they are very painfull..i have had the pain in my anus,vigina (vagina) and in my rib cage area...in the rib cage area it hurst when i want to breath in...very pain to the fact that i think about breathing before i do it because the pain that comes with breathing in when that comes to suface is very bad....its glad to know that im not the only one that goes threw that...and i dont even get a period...i have the IUD in place in me...some women have said that they get those pains when they are about to get their period...i just get them when they want to come surface and cause really bad pain...hopefully if it is brought to doctors attn they can do research on it and fine a cure for it...even though the pain doesnt last long for some of us it is pain that i wouldnt even wish on my worst enemy!
I also have these pains, but I also have both Endometreosis and IBS. I also keep cysts on my ovaries all the time. I cant even go to school and sit there all day because it hurts so bad. This pain I experience only when I'm on my period is crazy though. It hurts so bad and I cant move I just have to sit there and tense up til I can get it to go away. It ***** and I wish there was a way to get rid of it, but we have discovered that really no medicines help me with the IBS because we have tried so much stuff and I got 2 weeks or more without using the bathroom. I went to a motility doctor who said I could take 8 exlax every day for the rest of my life plus drinking 4 caps of myrilax everyday, but who wants to live like that. They said my colon is sooo slow. We watched it on the machine and the food would just sit there and not move. I have also learned that foods with seeds really hurt me(tomatoes, squash, pickles, cucumbers, etc). I have had laproscopic surgery for the endometreosis, I have been on the Lupron shots, and I have also been on way to many birth controls since I was 12. I really dont want to have to go through this for the rest of my life and I pray I can have kids. I'm only 18 and I still have a long life to live.
I had that same type of pain 3 different months already and when it happens, my period is a bit heavier.  The pain might not be same for all of us and might not happen at the same time and not every month.  Apparently, there seem to be other type of problem/disease giving the same stabbing pain in butt of woman or man.  But I have noticed many of us mentioned about the butt and vagina pain only during period and some even said they know they had miscarriage at that time.  I do have a strong feeling it might be related to early implantation miscarriage  which is the time the egg try to implant itself to the uterus lining and fail the process between 10 to 14 days  after ovulation.  Some of us might notice the period was late but sudently came wih a pain differently than the regular pain when we have our menstrual period and the blood smell differently.  Women have miscarriage without even knowing it unless they are trying to get pregnant and watch for certain sings.  So ladies, some of us don't have the pain every month, something must have happened that month to start the pain.  So we might want to watch if our ovulation period, sexual activity, and menstrual cycle give us any sign this could be an early pregnancy terminated naturally like it was a normal period with a different smell of the blood, whether the period came earlier or later than usual.  The best way is to consult a gyneco to find out what is causing this unpleasan pain.  Please post to let know if you tryed to check this.  
I've been suffering from IBS for years and have found doctors and gastrointerologists relatively unhelpful. Make sure you go though - my gastrointerologist said I need to get checks for bowl cancer every couple of years even though everything is clear at present.

Through trial and error I have found that increasing fibre is helpful but it has to be a 'mucilagenous' soluble fibre - guar gum is the best. Benefibre used to use guar gum but have switched to a cheaper, but for me, totally useless fibre. I'm now taking Nutra-Fibre tablets sold as an 'appetite suppressant' but it's just guar gum and other finely ground fibres in a capsule. They are gentle - don't use psyllium unless it has been finely ground like in these tablets. It is too rough and makes symptoms worse. I AVOID taking them before meals like the instructions say because I don't want to feel full and stop eating a balanced diet. Instead I take them about an hour or so after eating.

Inner Health Plus IBS Support tablets are also great.

I still get sharp pains like everyone is describing but less often, but other symptoms like the horrific swelling of my stomach and diarrhea (typical IBS stuff) have improved.

Keep a food diary. It is a pain but worth it. I've given up wheat and dairy which sounds awful but has been totally worth it - I can function and there are loads of substitutes for these foods out there now.

It's a shame the medical system just gives us names for our very serious and debilitating problems but can't provide any solutions. I was incredibly malnourished and underweight when my symptoms were at their worst 3 years ago. I spent thousands of dollars on quak 'natural therapies' before finding anything that helps.

Goodluck :-)
I have all these symptoms. I have stage 3 Endometriosis with severe scar tissue, my bowel is fused to my left side and my organs are covered in adheasions. Dr's said i did not have Endo until i insisted on a laparoscopy, if only they had done it sooner. I had children through IVF and throughout the pregnancies the pain continued. They said "you dont get endo pain in pregnancies" No u dont! its the damage the endo has done that continues to cause pain! The only treatment left for me would be a full Hysterectomy but the Dr's won't do it as my insides are so glued together they could tear my bowel. I describe the pain as though my insides are falling out and at 2am when you can't move to get to the painkillers, it's a pretty scarey place to be. When will Dr's realise that where there is pain there is a reason.
Also for Endometriosis sufferers, look up Frozen Pelvis
Hello, I've been experiencing pains in my pelvic area for three years now. I think it started roughly after i had a bad case of salmonella and campylobacter, ever since then i have had IBS. Along side the pains of IBS, i.e horribly bloated and stomach cramps, i've had awful stabbing pains in my uterus/cervix. The pain is so quick and so random but incredibly painful. After trying to explain where the pain is numerous times i can now pin point it to my cervix which then shoots up into my uterus and sometimes gives a cramping sensation in my anus. I went to the doctor who tested me for endometriosis amongst other things, however all of them came back clear.

I have been told by a family friend (whos a doctor) that your uterus, cervix and bowl are so close together that all the nerves are cramped next to one another (similar to the roots of a plant) so when one of them is in pain or discomfort it sparks off all of the nerves, which makes it hard pin point the pain, so when i have wind or constipation it "irritates" the cervix which is why it can spasim.
When you're near your menstrual cycle your cervix lowers which is why some of us may experience more pain at this time as it is far more easy to irritate. Even though ive had tests and been told everything is ok i still cant believe that simple "gas" or "Wind" can cause such awful stabbing pains, however everytime the pain happens i make sure i go to the loo (even if i dont think i need to) and sure enough the pain goes away (after an hour or so)
I still get cramping in my cervix which is weird as im only 24. Anyway i know everyone has different pains and we've been told different things but its so relieving to know that im not the only one who experiences this and its great to hear everyones opinions, suggestions and answers, hopfeully they will get better over time.... hope it all goes well for alll of you.
I'm having this same pain! I always have it around the time of my cycle! Hopefully we can figure out what this is!!!
Interesting enough I had these same pains today.. about 15 today in total since this morning lasting only a few seconds each though I think one went to the 20 second mark..  it just wouldn't go away.  I wouldn't say mine have to do with the vagina, simply the pain starts in my anus up into my internal abdomen (I am a 24yo woman).  I do believe I had similar pains a couple times a month or two ago but they obviously weren't as bad as today as I didn't take a whole lot of notice to them.  I hope today is the end of them as it seems people can deal with quite a serious and chronic verison of these pains.

Anyways,  I managed to get an apt with my Dr. today and he has told me I have a stomach virus.. ie. gastroenteritis.  He told me to fast myself for the next 24 hours and drink lots of fluids..  I have been doing this also lying in bed under lots of blankets.  I am feeling a bit better already though I have had a few more pains while I was up going pee from drinking so many fluids.  Obviously.. some people on this forum are not experiencing a stomach virus.. though I just wanted to mention this other diagnosis as I had not seen it posted.

Personally,  I ate a very cheesy pizza last night and also had a milkshake at the same time !  I think I may have overloaded my gut with lactose and am having an episode of lactose intolerance.  I am going to avoid this type of eating in the future...

Anyways, just wanted to add some additional info to the post.   Also... my doctor had me in and out in minutes (Canada).  I had to take the afternoon off work to visit the doctor.. also I am at work 9-5 Mon thru Fri .. exact same time the Drs office is open.   I wish he would of given me some more time to discuss other options.. though I guess time will tell and if these pains continue I will just have to miss some more work to visit the doctor again...  argh.. That's life.    
I'm 24 and have been experiencing these same pains for over 4 years. Mine are severely sharp pains (like the knives so many people have described) shooting from my anus to my vagina and they last for about an hour. They start as unbearably sharp and constant waves of pain and end with little spasms every so often. I just finished another 'episode' and reading theses posts as I was going through it helped a lot. I do not believe it is STD related as I have had them before I was even sexually active. They come out of nowhere it seems and I have to stop whatever I'm doing and can't move. I just started my period today, but I don't believe the pain is related to that either as I've had them all other times without being on my period. I can go months without it happening and then all of a sudden, it hits me again. Same pain and around the same length each time. I've never been pregnant so no miscarriages and I don't know what labor pain feels like. I do know that my mom has cysts in her ovaries and I'm thinking that I may too from reading some of your posts. She's never had this pain though and neither have my two sisters. Thanks to all who have shared their stories. I thought I was the only one having this issue. Hopefully one day we can find a way to end this awful pain.
you non doctor goers are mad!
get it checked out
could be ya diet
could be cysts
could be irritable bowl syndrome
could be bowl cancer
who knows!
go to ya doctor n find out.
i went with the same symptoms n found out i have a parasite causing mine.
antibiotics
simple
same symptoms but you probably all dont have the same cause.
go to the doctor i reckon
n give em some of your poo to look at.
might fix ya up
I have just under gone a hysterectomy because of ENDO, the main pain I was experiencing was this shooting pain in my vagina and rectum, it took me 3 years for anyone to actually listen to me and believe that it wasn't just in my head, they actually have to operate and look inside to see id you have endo as it will not show up on a scan.  I have endo removed 3 times in the past and it has kept coming back the last one was in June 08, I have just now had a hysterectomy and can only pray that this will be the last of it, my suggestion to anyone experiencing this pain is to demand a laporoscopy to see exactly what is going on and then just don't go to any specialist go to a specialist that specialises only in the field of your disease.  Lets hope this is it for me, time can only tell now, Good luck everyone, and I know how you feel!
I have had similar pains in the past, and found out that I have a tipped uterus. I believe that when it tips in either direction I experience the sharp pains that you described.
I've had the same problem for a year. I get the most painful shooting pains in my vagina and rectum whenever I'm on my period. I always get the pains below my ribs and near my appendix throughout the month.
I also have problems with sex where its painful and on a few occasions I've had massive period like pains, gone dizzy like I'm about to pass out, then been sick.
I've been to 4 different doctors and was admitted to a hospital specialist.
I've been tested for every sti/std under the sun many times because of this, everyone coming back negative. I've been tested for being pregnant because they said it could have been my pill at the beginning.
I was diagnosed with IBS which turned out to be wrong and completely pointless. I'm currently being tested for endometriosis and have to have an ultra scan in 3 weeks to try and find anything wrong with me.
Has anyone ever had mass period pains like randomly through month. I sometimes get them and a few times I've had it where I get them, then like 5 mins later i have the most painful shooting pains in my belly for 15 minutes at least.
I found this after googling stabbing pains in vagina. I've been getting these on and off for a few years. Had full gyny check up 2 years ago and had mirena fitted as my periods were so heavy. My periods are really light now, but I still get the awful pelvic pains/cramps and after my period get the terrible sharp shooting pain in my vagina. Its scary as the pain is so severe, but luckily only lasts for around 30 seconds. The pain doesn't involve my anus.
I hope that we between us can come up with an answer to what this actually is, and how we stop it!  
I'm married with 2 children.
Hi sharpshooter! :D

I have the exact same thing & I was then diagnosed with piles. I understand exactly how you feel, it's a sharp pain in the anus & shoots up your back & the same in the vagina.

I also have the pain my chest/ ribcage & was told I had chronic bronchitis & have been put on an inhaler, but I also suffer from panic attacks, maybe this could be happening to you when you know the pain is coming up & you are clenching so hard.

I hope this helps because I know how painful it can be! :)
Hi all.. First of all, I'm a guy, so i cannot quite relate to about 100 of these posts here for other 'girly' issues :O) , but i realize i am not alone with my pain. Honestly, to confirm what another person wrote, if it was to last anymore than just a few seconds at a time i would scream for hell (yes hell, not help).. Seriously i do not even consider when i have ever felt this kind of pain before. Usually i get it in the middle of the night when i sleep, and yes i wake up quick smart, holding off groans of agony while crying in pain. To describe it, it is deep inside near my bowels, feeling literally like i have a large spike or knife stabbing into me..Truly horrific experience too, 3 or 4 repeats of a few seconds usually only lasts a minute or 2 or 3, but i break out in a sweat from fighting the pain. I am 36yrs old and probably get these pains maybe a dozen instances per year over the last 5 or even 10yrs... Now that i am married with kids i am truely worried about long term type situations. Atleast tonight i am now comfortable enough to know that i am not alone and that i will get it to my Doc on my next visit....oh yeah, if i find out what it is, i will come back here and let you all know..  :O)
Its feels good to knowThat Iam not the only one.. i have had this pain for many years. Sharp pain from anus all the way up. i got tired of the pain and went to the doctors. iam about to have a colonoscopy next week cause my doc couldnt figure out what was causing the pain.. Hope They can figure it out once they look inside me..
i posted an entry 12 months ago saying that now i am post menopause i have no problems - but yep its back again. the exact same symptoms !
So you guys and gals out there - it is nothing to with uteruses, ovaries, babies miscarriages gas etc etc etc.     But what is interesting is that I have 3 sisters and ALL of us have the pain. I have never been pregnant - they have all had children.  One has had a complete hysterectomy - one has had ovarian cancer.  I am completely free of any of that and yet we all get the exact same debilitating pain. Thankfully it is only for a few minutes to 1/2 hour.  The other day at golf i got it and couldnt tee off for 5 minutes !  Then another lady explained that she gets it too !!   The others were horified as they had never heard of it!   Very Weird.
Hi, I had the same kind of shooting pain.  I thought it was a gastro issue also.  I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy.  Everything came back normal.  It turned out to be endometriosis and I was diagnosed through a laparoscopy.  It was very frustrating.  The pain was so bad at times I ended up in the ER.  It took forever to get diagnosed.  Good luck!
I am so relieved to find that this is a common thing in other women. I have become so worried - i don't have health insurance anymore, so I can't see a doctor. But now that I read this post, I feel so much better. The only thing that frustrates me is that this post has been going on since Sept 2005, and no comments from a doctor? Is this not a serious issue then? If anybody has advice on how to handle this without health insurance please let me know, it's absolutely unbearable. Just happened to me at work again this morning, and I tried to maintain composure, but OMG it's bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, good luck ladies.
Hi, even though my shooting pains were caused by cysts, if  I was "backed up"  I had more random shooting pains.  If thats the case, go get Magnesium Citrate Oral Solution.  Its a laxative.  Its red or yellow drink that tastes really sour but does the job.  Its in a glass bottle and you drink the whole thing.  You can get it at Walgreens or CVS or even at some supermarkets.  Do it on a weekend.  And if it takes a bit to work, don't go anywhere.  When it blows through you won't be able to leave the bathroom for a couple hours but it will clean you out. Sorry for the TMI but it may help!
Another option is a homeopathic remedy ...there are a few homeopathic remedies for this but I am taking Sepia as I have the same knife-like pains.
Well, I'm a woman, and I have gotten this pain rarely since I was 9 or 10, and it is still the worst pain I have ever felt -- maybe second place to the time the labor nurse stuck the IV needle into a nerve. Youch! The first time I had it, my mother took me to the ER and the doctors said it was gas, possibly related to stress. For me, for the pain as I feel it, that makes some sense. It feels muscle spasm-y, which would make some sense if my interior booty muscles freaked out on occasion. I tend towards stress and constipation, so it's possible. But the reason I'm posting is that my husband had a similar episode, though extended, last year, and it turned out to be gastroenteritis that had perforated his colon. Luckily he was able to heal after a few days in the hospital, but if you are a dude or the pain lasts for more than a few minutes, make an appointment with your doctor right away. Basically the maintenance treatment is a high-fiber diet, so if you are uninsured or afraid of doctors, you could try that first. Good luck to us all.
Yes, and then some.........well..I am 44 and had a complete hysterectomy in Dec. 09....for severe endometriosis.  The surgeon said that I have endo.on the colon as well, but was too risky to remove.  Anyway, here I am 6 months later with these debilitating pains that I even told a car salesman today..don't worry if I turn pale and freeze up and can't speak to you for a minute or so...its just pain and you do not need to call 911.  I have to say I never had this specific pain prior to the surgery...now dull aching always in the vagina and anus and low back...but the stabbing pains are horrible.  Lots of recurrent themes here and I don't have the answer..but sure am looking for one. The surgeon and the gyne. just blew me off.
Ok so I am 25 and I have noticed the same exact pains as sharpshooter, the original poster.  I don't really know how often I get them because they come and go so quickly, and then I move on and forget about it.  

I am posting this because I had probably the worst episode of the pains ever just now (and slightly continuing).  I just had a minor bowl movement, and then I got the super sharp pains.  I looked down and my stomach was disgustingly and abnormally bloated looking.  So I thought I had to "go" some more, but I couldn't.  I thought, for sure, something inside me was going to explode and I was going to die.  

In the moment that I experience the sharp pains, I feel completely justified in going to the doctor and finding out what in the world it is.  But when it passes, I feel like it would be pointless.  He would ask a ton of questions, since apparently it could be many different things, but I don't know much more other than "random intense pains down there".  I don't know if it happens around a certain time of the month, or when I'm on a certain medication, or if I'm not drinking enough water,  or if it's close to a bowl movement, or when I haven't had enough bowl movements.  

I don't mean to sound like a hypochondriac, but if it's something serious, I want it fixed NOW.  I know there are already a trillion posts, but are there any good suggestions about what it could be or if I really should see a doctor?

Hi Everybody

I also experience these stabbing pains and recently found out my mother does as well.  Random pain that doubles you over.  Mine usually last over 3 days maybe happening about 6-8 times, which is enough.  I recently started using homeopathic remedies and am taking Hura Braziliensis which seems to be working for me and my mother.  We've both only taken the remedy twice so far but the pain went completely on each occassion.  Worth a try.

D
Viewing 1-200 comments: