Shooting pain through vagina and anus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
Wow. I read all of this thread and am really suprised that there is no answer from a medical person. My problem is similar.

About 8 years ago, I began having these horrible shooting pains from my lower abdomen down through the vaginal area and up through the anal area (feels like really painful constipation but all the way around my lower abdomen area). This only happened to me at the end of my period. I should mention I have been on birth control pills since 1994 (Ortho-Lo). I was complaining to a friend about my problem and told her that it only happens at the end of my period. Let me tell you, those two days following my period when I have this HORRIFIC pain, I cannot even get up and walk around the house, I have to sit on a heating pad to numb my lower abdominal/butt area. The pain makes me dizzy and I just feel intense pressure/shooting pains in the entire lower abd/vag/anal area. Anyway, my friend, who was a dancer/gymnast suggested that I talk to my OBGYN about taking the birth control pills straight through and skipping the placebo pills--get it? Just starting a new pack on the Sunday in which the placebo pills should start, therefore, skipping my period all-together. I tried it and it worked, no period-no pain (for me anyways). Last year when I went for my yearly, my OB and I talked about this pain associated with my period. Other than scheduling a vaginal ultrasound, he pretty much blew me off. Well, I had the vaginal ultrasound--they were looking for endometriosis--and found nothing. Since he said that taking the pill straight through worked and I was on a "lo" form of the pill that we'd keep doing that. I am 36 and do not want children so I am fine with being on the pill. But am I going to have to be on it forever?

I find it really interesting in many of the posts on this thread that the women who suffer from the same pain, many seem to get it around their period time as well. Mine comes specifically at the end. But just NOT having a period and taking the BC year-round has saved me. I know many people may not want to take the pill every daybut that's what worked for me and I just wanted to share that. You HAVE to get permission from your OB to do so, b/c he has to write a year-round BC prescription, which according to a friend of mine who is a pharmacist, is a lot more common than you'd think.

Best of luck to us all in finding peace with our bodies.
I just wanted to add that I too have experienced all of these symptoms & continue to
It all began in 1999 -
so for 10 YEARS I have been a victim to this pain

The first symptoms were the Sharp Stabbing burning pain in my right side (sometimes in my left side)
Then months later I started experiencing the pain in my Vagina & sometimes my Anus - it was the SAME identical pain I I felt in my sides also another symptom I would experience is Frequent Urinary Tract Infections (UTI's) I remember one year in particular that I got 9 UTI's on top of experiencing this Excruciating CHRONIC PAIN !!
I thought I was going to loose my mind

At first the pain was unbearable - I thought I was dying - so I did what most of you have done - I sought after medical help
I thought I was getting somewhere - The Dr. ordered to have an Endoscopy done- well the test results showed I did have ulcers (which I believe was a misdiagnosis cause NOW I get told that I DONT have ulcers & never did ) so WHY I would be having the same pain in my Vagina - needless to say my Insurance cancelled on me due to the Dr.'s ERROR and I went for years with out insurance & without hope

Now girls most of you are talking about PID's well get this - I learned the hard way that PID is code for " They dont know Sh*t"
Every time I went to the ER I was diagnosed as having a PID for YEARS and the Medications they would give me would ONLY make the PAIN WORSE - so I KNEW that it couldn't be a PID !!!!!
I finally started asking more questions & demanding information and found out that a PID is what ER doctors will diagnose a Female who has an UNIDENTIFIED female problem or illness - one ER doctor smarted off to me and told me that it wasn't his fault that I dont have Insurance and that he can only GUESS that its a PID & treat me for that because that is ALL he is equiped to do

So after seeing tons of ER doctors & physicians I had to pay hard earned CASH for who ran countless of Ultra-sounds , xrays , cathaders, miscellanious tests ( so many I cant remember them all)
NONE of them found anything - other than the closest I got to a diagnosis was ONE doctor who took me seriously told me he thought I had
Interstitial Cystitis - but I still have not received a proper diagnosis
and not all the symptoms match but most of them do

So for the last 6 years I have given up - I have just LIVED with the pain - I have grown into adapting a HIGH tolerance for it and learned tricks to deal with
Actually during my entire Pregnancy 3 years ago - I didn't experience ANY pain until after my daughter was born - then it returned - so I lived 9 months pain free - so That alone lets me know that SOMETHING can be done to eventually make it stop - but NO I'm not going to get pregnant & have another kid just to relieve the pain - LOL

Recently however I started experiencing a Different kind of symptom - I started having attacks that felt like my stomach was going to explode - I then learned that this was severe gas - or I was TOLD that that was all it was - turns out months later - I get ANOTHER ultra-sound and it seems my Gallbladder was completely diseased and full of gallstones - my Surgeon believed that this was the Culprit of my Chronic Pain all of these years - but after the Gallbladder has been removed I was NOT surprised to STILL be experiencing the PAIN and NOW its became STRONGER than ever - So now I have to go back to see my surgeon and start all over from scratch
So Now I'm back in the FIGHT to figuring this out
Still dont have insurance but I'm about to get it soon

NO this is NOT PERIOD related but being on your cycle can aggrivate it NO its NOT just GAS - GAS is a symptom - as well as frequent urination that accompany this PAIN
NO it is not just in ONE location - it can Move from the right side to the left side and to the Vagina & Anus - but for me it dominates in my Right side as I have met several women with this same complaint - this usually happens after you have had it for YEARS - as I have
NO you are not alone - as you can see tons of us have this

Now here are my Theories
1. its Gastro-intestinal & Vaginally related
2. Its MORE than one Illness/ Ailment  combined
3. Its possibly caused or atleast WORSENED by processed foods, especially Carbonated sodas - also Avoid coffee
I experience the WORST pain & the MOST Flares of pain whenever I slip up & drink a sodas - so DONT drink sodas & you will notice a huge decrease in the flairs - Try going a Year with only drinking Water and you will also notice a HUGE decrease in Flairs
4. Kegel excercises do help a great deal - I experience less flairs
5. Do not lay down while eating , seems to aggrivate it more
6. The more sleep you get the less it seems to happen
7. Dr's dont know Sh*t - so dont let them treat you like its all in your head - keep fighting for a Diagnosis - together - we will eventually figure this out - Dont give up like I did in the past
8. The less I THINK about it - the Less it seems to happen - I believe in mind over matter and that we have the ability as humans to heal ourselves especially when Doctors aren't even coming close to even helping us or even caring - I believe I will be Pain free one day

I have had these same pains in my abdomen and rectum since I was 14 years old. My doctors put me through all types of embarassing and painful procedures for 2 years to try and find the reason and after all of it my doctor told me I have Irratable bowel syndrome, which I believe is code for (I have no clue whats wrong with your butt, literally speaking). I am now 28 and experience the pain approximately twice a month, it is brought on by orgasm from sex or erotic dreams and also after I have a bowel movement. No other women in my family have had this particular problem, but we all do experience cysts on our ovaries. I only had the pain once during pregnancy. It was a nice break. The pain feels like it is in my rectum and spreads throughout my lower abdomen, up my spine and down my legs. I have often vomited and passed out from the intensity of the throbbing ache. Of course no medicine could work by the time it is over, I have a small dull ache for awhile but after about an hour I am completely recovered. I avoid sex and bowel movements for about a day or two because it will reoccur with further activity. I will be discussing the idea of Proctalgia Fugax with a doctor soon although they say there is no cure, it will be nice for us to have something to call this thing. Thank you to all of you women who had the guts to come write out something so personal. Maybe we all can sleep a little better soon when one of us has a real answer that we can share with our new friends.
I also have this, infact I have it right now and it's driving me crazy.  My periods have juts finished and the pain is in my vagina and near my anus and I've also had it so bad it's travelled down my left leg and it feels like a throbbing pain!?  It actually worries me as I've only just started to get this, over the past couple of months.  I think I'll make an appointment with my Doctor to at least get a pap smear done, and take it from there!
I have had a similar condition for years...Just an added symptom to this is when I drink a beer I have to go at least 10 times..
I get up during the night to urinate frequently so doctor put me on Ditropan XL this seems to help relieve that vagina pain a bit..
Everything I eat seems to have an effect on it..
chocolate coffee salad dressing and onions
Sure wish there was a diagnosis out there somewhere....
Research Proctalgia Fugax. It is a muscle spasm in the sling of muscle tissue that supports all of that framework down there. Pain can last momentarily or for quite a while 20-45 min. For some the spasm switches from one side to the other or migrates until the spasm has ended. Sometimes it is a tight locking of the tissue followed by spasms as it starts to subside. I find that I sometimes feel tired after a spasm or in a bad one, feel sore for a day or so. It is excruciating and has no cure although there is some testing with the same sort of drugs that treat asthma patients.
Sometimes certain foods, caffeine, nicotine can trigger it. A lack of sleep and situations where you sweat a lot can trigger it so keep up with potassium. (add banana's to your diet) I got this at about the age of 13... now 45 no cure. Just have to cope. Relaxation techniques. breathing techniques help when in the throws of the pain. When the pain ends, you resume like nothing ever happened. Were you to take medicine, the "cramp" would be gone before the medicine takes effect. Sometimes it is confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome especially if the doctor has never encountered Proctalgia Fugax but the difference is that in I.B.S.sufferers most suffer severe diarrhea. It may even be related to IBS I'm not certain but I never had those episodes of diarrhea that I.B.S. patients had. This may be an event that takes place in the brain or in the nervous system so no physical defect would be found in the actual tissue where the pain manifests itself. In other words, it may be an "electrical" in the same manner that a seizure takes place in the brain but the muscles are affected or it may be an event somewhere else in the central nervous system resulting in the spasm. Research Proctalgia Fugax it is different than I.B.S. You may find the answers to your questions and other sufferers of this painful condition. Hope this helps.... I feel your pain!!
Hi, I am on day two of my period and have this sharp shooting pain up my anus worse usually around the first day or two, along with bad period cramps.  I have actually fainted because of this pain before.  It usually preceeds the feeling of needing to pass wind or a stool.  sometimes I can't pass stools because i get this really sharp pain so i try to hold it in for a day or two until i know it's 'safe' to go to the toilet properly!  don't really know what the cause is or how to stop it but it is definitely only on the first couple of days of my period and related to the feeling of needing to open my bowels????????
i have something similar to what your having. BUT when i need to go... POOP.. tmi sorry. i start getting this SHARP knifelike stabbing pain either in my vagina or rectum.. not sure which one. it sometimes feels like its in my bladder. its just all over down there.. but once i go to the bathroom.. its gone. it hurts so bad i just grab whatever i can and clinch down and almost cry. i recently had a baby (end of may) and i had my 6week check up on the 7th of this month and i told my doctor about it and he did a papsmear and checked out my rectum and didnt see anything other than my uterus being tilted back some. he said if it keeps on we are going to have to "investigate." it started probably when i was around 34weeks pregnant and has not stopped yet.
I had pain like that- mine turned out to be gas! I use miralax and it helps. That way I keep it all moving so gas doesnt build up and it doesnt cause gas like fiber does. I know you will think no way but you should try it. It may be gas for some of you. I didnt believe it at first because it was so painful and not at all gas like, but that was it. Glowmommy- dont go to ER doctors for anything but lacerations, broken bones or chest pains. That is what they are there for and trained for. Chronic type pain should be adressed with a Dr that you can see regularly so they dont keep doing the same tests over and over. Family doctors are also a lot cheaper then an ER visit.
T
Today i was sat in the car and i all of a sudden had the same stabbing pain, i have been very worried all day until i read this. I have recently been going through a lot of fertility tests as i have suffered with recurrent misscairiage and i have PSOS... I have had this pain before but not as bad as today.... i have also had this apin whilst having a miscariage and also in the first few days of my period.... but it all feels like its in my muscles and so painful!!! i don't want to have to go to the doctors again because they're useless with things like this!!
i was searching for a diagnosis and found this forum ...boy am i relieved to find it might not be as bad as i imagined !!!!!!
i got a sudden onset of very low abdominal pain that radiated into my vagina then my rectum....i was out shopping by myself at the time....i began to feel nauseous,  cold and shivery.  Instinct made me just forget about shopping and go home...where i felt safe...but really scared...i have never felt pain like it!!! God knows how I managed to drive !!    
I am not due my period for two weeks so....??
I took some painkillers and lay down on the sofa for about 4 hours.  the pain got worse when i tried to stand...i thought maybe i had gas  or needed to poo so tried to go to the toilet. On passing urine i had to hold in my rectal muscles because to relax totally caused excruciating pain.  I have a chesty cough and coughing makes the pain in rectum worse.  
As the day has progressed, the abdominal and vaginal pain has  subsided ,  but the rectal pain is still there...I plan to have  ahot bath , more painkillers and try to relax ...hopefully it will be better by morning :-)
I have this problem too. Usually during my period, I get a sharp pain in my anus then I bleed heavily like a gush. It's odd. The gush of blood is coming from my period. Not from my butt. It's really annoying, it's a spasmic pain. I have talked to my other girl friends about this, and some of them say they have the same pain around or during their period.

I am thinking it's a muscle that lays someplace between the anus and the vaginal canal. This muscle spasms or contracts to help empty your uterus of the sloughing that is taking place. That is the only thing I can attribute it to.

I plan on discussing it with my OB GYN on my next appointment in September. If I find something out, I will post it here.
Very interesting indeed!!  After googling my symptoms last night, I was relieved to read that what I have been experiencing for a couple of months wasn't unique, it wasn't quite so scary.  Today after a pelvic ulstrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound the report has come back as "bulky uterus, suggestive of adenomyosis".  I have just read up on adeno and I think I have found my issue.  There is no medication to fix it, a hysterectomy is required which will get rid of the pain.  As with most people the pain comes and goes, so I am confident I can tolerate it until the time that a hyster seems inevitable.  I am 39 and don't want children, hope this info helps some ;-)
I hate to be the deliverer of bad news, but I am 38 and have been experiencing the same symptoms for the past several years.  Sharp stabbing pains in my Vaginal, anal and left lower abdomen.    I've been to several doctors, ER's and  had many tests run, still nothing.   This past year Feb 09 i did as you suggested and had a hysterectomy hoping this would be an end to my pain.   It didn't.  I am currently experiencing the pain. The pain was so bad i could not sleep last night and i currently feel as if I am going to pass out.  I too decided to do research on the internet in refernce and found you all.   So thanks to everyones comments, i now know i'm not going crazy.....
well i have been experiencing this sharp pain through my vagina and anus for quite some time now and im only 19 and the pain is so unbearable and ive been 2 the doctor plenty of times 2 have ultra sounds done and and other test ran 2 figure out the problem but no one seems 2 know but one doctor said i might have endometriosis and she said if get on birth control it should lessen the pain. but my thing is i only 19 and i shouldnt be going through this and i dont wanna be on birth control 4 the rest of my life because eventually i wanna have a child one and  i dont want this intense pain 2 interfere with me not havin one
also at one point of time the pain only came during my period. well now it happens when im not on my period. i just wish someone could find a cure because this is a serious matter
I have had this too and it ended up being painful ovulation. It typically happens in the middle of the cycle during ovulation. The doctor told me to take Ibuprofen and within an hour, the pain is gone. Hope this helps
I have the same exact sharp pain in my entire vaginal/rectum area sometimes up to the small of my back, it always happens during my period especially when I am about to have, am having, and sometimes after I have a bowel movement. But it occasionally just happens on it's own. I can't sit down or even hardly move while it's happening and nothing I do helps it to go away. My gyno just said it was cramps or that I was passing a large clot but I'm a little worried because endometriosis runs in my family...
If you are a woman - you and I have the same problems and found out that I have Fibroids.  Heavy bleeding, painful cramps, shooting pain through the vagina and anus, everything.  Please see your ob gyn if you have these symptons, I did not know that I had them and when I did still tried to change the diet and herbal medication for 4-5 years and it was on and off.  I am not scheduling myself for surgery for UFE - Uterine Fibroids Embolization.
Reporting back again.  I had an appt with a Naturopathic Fertility Specialist, who states that one of the causes of Adenomyosis (aka bulky uterus - which is causing the pain) is oestrogen excess.  What causes that - mostly the pill.  She is confident that being off the pill will eliminate the pain - maybe my uterus will return to normal.  Anyway, I have to manage my contraception naturally by monitoring cycle, but hey ho, absolutely no increase of artificial hormones into my body, no need for radical hystericalectomy at my age AND instant weight loss as I'm coming off the pill.  Good result all round.  Would have to say ladies, ditch the "medical profession" and go back to the medicine that has been around since time began.  See a naturopath.
I recently started experiencing sharp pains in my vaginal and rectal area.  Today, its a dull lower abdomen/vaginal pain.  I had a total hysterectomy 18 years ago.  I also remember having these pains when I was very young, around age 12.  Sometimes it feels as if someone has shoved a stick up my vagina and I can't move for awhile.

I'm wondering why have the pains come back.  I will go to the doctor and explain the symtoms (symptoms) and see whaat diagnosis I get.  I was really scared until I read these posts - thinking that it could really be something serious.
i was just researching to see if i can find anything.. bc i have having the same type of pain.. but to be honest i read some of the comments here and someone esaid it is gas... and honestly i really think it might be.. this is how it feels to me... gas is stuck in a compartement that it shouldnt be in... so i feel sharp pain coming and goign on my vagina... and it feel slike gas is stuck and its trying to get out... at least i hope thats what it is. im 26.. and i hope its nothing serious but im trying to see if it happnes when i eat anything in particular...
let me know what u think
Today i suddenly began to get cramp like pains, so i figured i had just started my period even though im not due for another week. After going to the toilet i found i wasnt having my period yet the cramps continued. I have never really had serious cramps beefore and i am generally fine without any medication but these cramps were worse than anything i have gotten before. After 3 or 4 hours i could distract myself from the pain until i stood up and the pain was 10 times worse. I had a long walk ahead of me and the pain continued that i felt dizzy and i had an aching feeling in my anus/vaginal areas. After taking some panadol the cramps have stopped but i still have the dull ache which becomes slightly painful when going to the toilet. I think it might be food poisoning or something because i had experienced the cramping pains once before after eating an unripe banana but never the aching.
Hopefully it will be gone by morning
Hi, i have just read these comments, and it sounds a lot like what I get, especially the comment that 'floramarg' made. I have had these pains in my anus, it feels like a stabbing pain, usually when needing to pass wind or go to the toilet for either a number 1 or 2. i've had these pains for about 2 years now. are any of you on the pill? i am on microgynen 30, and i'm not sure if it is related, but i have only been experiencing these pains since i started on the pill.

can anyone help with this? thanks
i also only get these pains when i am on my period, usually the first three days.
i started getting these pains a few months ago, and i've been able to deal with it, but last night it got so bad i woke up crying because it wouldn't stop it went on for about and hour, the pain would last for a few seconds then go away, then come back again. it feels like its in my vaginal area, but then sometimes it feels like it's in my anus. Extremely painful. My husband and i are trying to have a baby, and i know i should go in, but i'm scared what my gyno is going to tell, or not tell me, and just think i'm making this up.
Hi, i think that if it is causing you that much trouble that you can't sleep, you should see a Doctor or something, just to put your mind at rest. I should go really, I've had it about 2 years now, but i'm just too embarassed to go and see a Doctor. Reading all these comments has helped though cuz it has made me realise im not on my own!! Is it a constant pain you are getting all the time? I only get it in the first few days of my period and then it goes away.

Bexsta1989
I have had these vaginal and anus pains before but never to a degree that has caused worry until today. I fell over screaming unable to move in any direction for at least 10mins (but felt like an hour) when I could get up I found myself having to cling to things to avoid having to use my muscles. Thinking it was something to do with bowel movements (despite having not long been for 1 and 2) I shuffled to the toilet and tried to sit down no luck I ended up screaming again. The pains Dimps66 mentioned are what I feel, during ovulation, sharp stabbing pains like a knife being stabbed into my vaginal and anus but then also pains that shoot inside like lightning up and down from anus to lower back. It has taken me 3 hours to be able to sit down, I thank everyone for sharing and giving advice I am gonna reasearch a bit before I go see doctor to make sure he doesn't fob me off. Had someone handed me a gun when it happened today I don't think I'd have hesitated. Hope all get sorted soon xx
What did your doctor say?

I just came back from my doctor and reported the same/similar concerns:
-ache which started in my upper left labia on the first day of my period and continues to today (three days after my period ended) but seems to have travelled down to my lower left labia
-ache/numb feeling in my butt - in behind my anus opening and radiating in a circle about six inches in diameter
-ache down the back of my legs concentrating in my rear thigh muscle and travelling as far as my calf and foot sometimes

She thinks it might be herpes. I had a test ten days after my last sexual partner and it was negative but she wants another one four weeks after that. However she said that the one thing which mitigates against it being herpes is that on days when I really move around and don't sit still, it seems to lessen and almost go away. She said that didn't sound like an irritated nerve ending (which is what she described herpes as) because if it was irritated it would always be irritated regardless of activity level.

Obviously I'm hoping that is not what it is, or if it is that it is HSV1 so that the chances of recurrence in the genital area are low - but wondering if you, and other people on here, have had your doctor rule that out?

I was just reading over all the comments and I am glad to other women have this problem. I thought I was going crazy. Furkids, I read your comment about oestrogen excess due to the pill. I don't believe that will correct the problem for everyone. I having been having this pain for 6 years and I have not been on birth control for 7 years.  I pain does not coincide with my period but I just get the pain sporadically. Which poses an issue when I am in public writhing in pain(it makes for a very interesting site) trying to limp out of the store.

If anyone has any luck with a diagnosis/solution keep us posted.
G'day Ladies,
Just viewing your comments from Down Under. It seems that I too, experience many of the same symptoms that you all write about. There are a few small differences though.
I have never taken birth control pills and never experienced the severe pain I get now prior to giving birth my two children (the last of which was born 6 years ago). Both children were born via caesarean section and I also have a retroverted uterus (which means my uterus is tipped backwards towards my rectum instead of tipping forward towards my abdomen). This is common in about 1/4 of all women.
I also have adhesions due to the caesarean operations which, combined with the retroverted uterus, do not allow my uterus to properly contract during menstruation allowing blood to be expelled through my vagina.
I have been to several specialist doctors and all have recommended the removal of my uterus as the best course of treatment. I am not planning on having more children and am looking for a much better quality of life. These 'stabbing' pains are so intense at times that I feel like vomitting. I cannot get up out of bed some days. I have two beautiful little girls that need me and I want to be there for them in every way, every day. Fingers crossed that this actually works!
I finally sat down at the computer yesterday to do some research on just this subject.  I'm surprised to find I'm not the only one who is going through this. Mine started after I had my hemorrhoids injected.  After surgery I had a thrombus (blood clot) hemorrhoid at the injection site lasting for 4 weeks.  Started with rectal pain and as the months went by the pain increased to vaginal and urethral/bladder pain. This happens every time I have my period. Usually starting on day 2 and lasting for up to 3-4 weeks. Therefore ready for the next period.  Don't seem to get much pain free time before it starts all over again. When my pain is at it's worse I can't even empty my bladder. I have to wait until the pain lessens so that I can empty the bladder even then I sometime have to make 2 or 3 trips to the bathroom before I feel like I've gone.  I also feel like I can't even pass gas, that to seems to painful.  Eating pain killers like there going out of style is not how I want to live my life.
During the follow-up with the Dr I told him about this pain and that was so severe that I now understood why people kill themselves over pain. He told me I was a waist of his time. I will not go back there ever again!  therefore suffering now for 4 years. I have now consulted an OB-GYN and she has suggested a hysterectomy.  I have no children and will never, so that seemed like a good idea.  Reading your comments now I'm not so sure that, that would solve the problem.
I have the same issue - a sharp unbearable pain in my anus area during my period. I've had this problem for about 9 years. It began before I ever used birth control, during the span of about a year that I was on Birth Control, and after. I don't think it has anything to do with birth control. I've never talked to my doctor about it because I am embarrassed and part of me believes that he won't know how to help me. I don't want to be put through lots of tests and be misdiagnosed. I know my body well enough to describe exactly what I think is happening - toward the middle of my period I get very bloated and everything in that region feels swollen. When I have gas, even just a little, there is too much pressure to just pass it easily. Pushing makes it worse. So I go through a series of these "spasms" before it gets out. Anything that causes more gas should be avoided - like soda/carbonated drinks. I also think caffeine has something to do w/ it. It is so hard to deal with this because no one around you understands. I have to go to a bathroom or some place private until it stops just because the pain paralyzes me for a moment with each spasm. I usually have to hold something or grit my teeth to transfer the pain, or I think I might scream or pass out. I wish there was something for this pain, because every month I dread it.
I am 14 and I too experience these symptoms. I started my period when I was almost 11 and the pain started shortly after. It first started with pain in my low right side and low pelvis (below where my bladder would be) I've had my appendics removed, 2 exploratory surgeries, colonsocopy, nuclear med tests, at least 2 dozen CTs, 7 vaginal ultrasounds, 12 abdominal ultrasounds, upper bowl GI scope, urinary analysis, nerve blocks, epidurals in my stomach, etc..the list goes on, and the only thing they found was I had endometriosis scarring.
    I had been on Lupron for 6 months prior to surgery, therefore my endometriosis was dead. I have to take birth control forever to stop the endometriosis from worsening and I'm not supposed to EVER have a period.
    But lately, I have been experiencing pain in my vagina (for about a year) and it feels like someome is shoving a butcher knife up it and turning it around. (sorry to be graphic) This pain in turn causes my side and pelvis to hurt more,,so it's like one big continuing cycle. I tend to hurt worse when I'm about to start, on, or after my period, but the pain never goes away.
   It has effected my life, I can hardly hang out with friends or play sports because I'm always in pain. I'm ony 14 and it's hard not to be a teenager.
   Anyways, when I read this I realized that I have the same symptoms, and I researched some more, and Endometrial hyperplasia and Adenomyosis can both be linked to endometriosis and I have many of the same symptoms. I am just afraid to undergo a hyster. because I want to have kids 20 years from now.
   Anyways, I'm going to the OB/GYN tomorrow and getting a pap smear and pelvic exam. That's the only thing I haven't had done, and supposedly it's the only way to determine if I have one of the above diseases.
   Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll let you know what OB/GYN says.
okay, so I went to the OB/GYN and she did a pelvic exam. she discovered that my uterus is the cause of all of my pain. she believes I have endometriosis AND adnomeosis. I have to go to a special doctor and have a pre-sacral neurectomy done. This is where the nerves are destroyed that connect the uterus to the brain. So even though I will still have the disease, I (in theory) will not have the pain. The only other option is a hyster. and at 14, I don't think that's a wise choice. But aparrently, a pre-sacral neurectomy is risky, only few doctors do it in the nation, it's very uncommon, and requires a true specialist.
She also reccommended that in the mean time while I'm waiting for my surgery to be schedued, that I attend pelvic floor physical thearapy. An uncommon thearapy that helps the vagina, uterus, ovaries, etc. (only 1 of these docs in my state).
Hope this helps some of y'all.
I started having this pain my girlie part today and anus. So severe and burns like fire. I am pregnant and my doctor prescribed the Cephaine antibiotics last week for a swollen leg. Could the drug be the cause of this sharp pains?
I've had some problems like the ones described here, though I almost cried hearing how bad some of you actually have it. I looked up a number of different possible causes.
One that I found interesting was endometriosis, which is the dispersing of endometrial lining tissue outside of the uterus. It can grow on other organs, between the anal and vaginal wall, and many other places. When a period occurs, the lining that is outside of the uterus (on other organs, etc) is shed as well, causing internal bleeding and severe pain. Research has shown that one of the causes of endometriosis is the consumption or contact with a common chemical called "dioxin." It's found in many of the things we eat, its used by manufacturing companies in products like pesticide and paper, and its even created during forest fires. 79% of monkeys tested in an experiment were found to have contracted endometriosis from being exposed to dioxin, and their symptoms grew worse with further exposure.  Look it up.
Something to think about. Over 5 million women in North America alone have endometriosis, sometimes symptoms aren't severe at all. Who knows. That could be it. It would explain the pain shifting around, and also how it seems to be situated around the uterus/vagina and connected to the menstrual cycle.
I'm glad that I am not alone. I am 24 years old and I have had this pain for the past three days. I am also experiencing very heavy bleeding, passing painful blood clots, and alot of vaginal/anus pain. I don't know what to do. I don't have a doctor nor do I have insurance. I don't have any children and I have never been on birth control. I don't take any kind of medication. I don't even take tylenol or anything like that. One thing that I have bought recently is some vitamins, but thats about it. The feeling is definitely like passing painful gas and it just sits there and I finally pass a little gas but it still remains.It feels as if something needs to come out but it won't.I was going to go the ER today, but I know how unhelpful they can be. I am going to do my best to find a doctor. I don't drink soda and I rarely drink juice. I love juice, but I mostly drink water. It has been over a year since I have drank soda.
Has anyone found a reason for the pain of pressure in vaginal area and rectum. I just started this about 3 weekes ago and am scared to death. The pain never goes away and gets increasingly worse at time. The pain is bad tonite and I can not sleep. Seems recently I am beginning to think it has something to do with bladder or kidneys. Had catscan and bloodwork done and there is no blockage and bloodwork was normal. has anyone else found any reason for this pain. Started on the left side of rectum, thought it was a hemmoroid , had dr. check area said nothing was protruding or visible. I have no insurance and the visit to the er was over $6,0000 I am at my wits end and am afraid I may die from this. I had a hysterectomy 20 yrs agO so I know its not cervix or ovaries. but am confounded as to what it is.
CAN ANYONE HELP?
I have experenced the same pain, but only one time. Me and my boyfriend had sex last night and when we were done the pain started. My vagina, anus, and lower righ side of my abdomial (abdominal). It was soo Intense...Nothing like gas pains or constipation. I never had this pain before????
Go to your OB/GYN and have her do a pelvic exam. There are many women related diseases that can cause this pain; endometriosos, adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, etc.. also a vaginal ultrasound may detect something
HELLO EVERYONE,
I NOTICED WITHIN THE PAST YEAR THAT I HAVE HAD THESE PAINS ALSO. ON YESTERDAY, I HAD A CLEAR THICK SECRETION AFTER I URINATED AND MY MOTHER TOLD ME THAT I WAS OVULATING. ON TONIGHT, I HAD THE SAME PAINS SHOOTING FROM MY VAGINA TO MY ANUS AND I FELT LIKE I WAS ABOUT TO PASS OUT ALSO. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH CORNELIA BECAUSE MY MOTHER TOLD ME TO TAKE 2 IBUPROFEN 200MG BECAUSE THIS PAIN WAS A SIGN OF OVULATION. I TOOK THE IBUPROFEN AND WITHIN 30 MINUTES THE PAIN SUBSIDED. I HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE.  HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
having another bad night with this same problem. pectal pain . not stabbing pain just constant pain. vaginal area is also involved. yesterday had excessive gas so bad all day and today have none. strange am also feeling weak tonite. waitinf for my insurance to kick in and will go to dr. can't stand this much longer.
are there no medical people in this site to help answer any of these symptoms?
I have experience these symptoms for several years now....sharp pain in the vaginal and anal area and sometimes abdominal cramps and discomfort on either my right or left side. The symptoms come on at no particular time and the occurances have increased over 2 years. They have even woke me from a dead sleep. It sounds funny, but the rush you get during sexual arousal in the viginal area is how it feels in my anal area and I have to get up and have a bowel movement. My lower abdomen feels sore after the pains have subsided. I have told my doctor when I go in to see him for my yearly women checkup and he does the routine vaginal and anal exam but doesn't say anything. Am going back in this week and I'm not taking NO for an answer!
I started having this pain about 7 years ago.  It came on after I had been on a diet for about a year.  I lost 45 pounds, however, I drank Diet Mt. Dew, 3 to 4 times a day, and I never drank diet sodas before.   I also did not eat a lot of fiber or drink much water.  
After going to my family doctor for numerous visits and getting diagnosed with bladder infections, which I have Never had, I was frustrated.  
The Veternarian I work for told me it sounded like Interstitial Cystitis, a condition in female cats.   I looked up the symptoms and found I had all of them.  Finally, after 5 more visits, The Female physician at the practice saw me and mentioned that this could be Interstitial Cystitis.    I have been on Elmiron for 4 years.   It seems to help, but, after reading the posts that so many of you have the same pain, I am wondering if this is what I have.  
Mine started sporatic, but was at least 15 to 20 days per month and it does get worse around the menstrual cycle.    Now that I am older and skipping periods, the pain still comes around the time the cycle should be, but there is no bleeding, just the pain (Lucky Me).  
I have been trying to eat more natural fiber and drink more water.   I also take 2 to 4 Fiber Capsules per day.   I hope someone out there gets a definative answer.   It is another "Mystery Disease", but I am tired of being put off, especially by male doctors, because they think I am week or it is in my head.  How annoying.  
i have similar symptoms. After having an orgasm and getting up quickly, i experienced sharp lower abdominal pains that travel to my rectum as well. It is difficult to stand up or move. I have been on the pill the low dose ones, for just 5 days and this is the first time i experienced this pain, im not sure but maybe the pain and the pill could be related.
hi every1  just been readn ur notes on here i believe some of u r suffering from helicobator pylori  its itssss a bug that a bacteria that lives in ur stomach have had  alot of ur same symtoms (symptoms)  & just been recently diagnosed 4 it  ask gp  4 test  hope i help some 1 gl all
hi everyone,
I too have the same problem but had two prior l5s1 back surgeries and i am now hearing that it could be fugax protalgia or from prior back surgeries and scar tissue hitting those nerves that go through the anal area. I only get the anal spasms and they come on from nowhere if it happened out of my house i would be mortified it feels like a pain that rolls in like labor pain and alot of pressure out of anus like when in labor u need to push. I only get them about 1-2 times a month that is enough they last approx 30 -45 min long and lamaze breathing helps 4 whatever reason the other thing that helps is sitting on the floor or a hard surface especially when I feel like i am gonna bottom out...It is terrible when Dr's tell u they really can't pinpoint what it is when it first started 4 me I thought I was dying and my husband now knows when I am having an attack bcause all he hears is heavy breathing and oh jesus please... really not funny but have to look at the bright side Iguess those nerves in anal area also pass through vaginal area every1's makeup is different though..It literally is a pain in the a...... Good luck to our tushies like women don't have to endure enough ****..
Hi.

I am 20 years old and I have been suffering from severe period pain since the age of 14. I have seen the doc many a time but they are just passing it of as my age. I got a severe pain in my vagina two days ago and went into A&E [ER in the states] with the pain. I am a virgin and was examined by a lady doctor who seems to be putting the pain down to endometrioisis. Im not even sure what this condition is or whether it will lead it infertility? I am waiting for a appointment from gynaecology.. I hope its nothing too serious. I suffer from panic disorder and this is just all making my disorder a lot more difficult to deal with.

Girls, what could this **** we're experiencing be?
It isn't anything too serious, I asked my gyno about it and he said it happens to a lot of people, even men and it isn't anything serious. He says if the pain is too extreme people usually take muscle relaxers for it and it works.
Amazed to find this forum.  This has really answered some of my concerns, as I haven't been to my doctor as I know they will not take me seriously. Yet again woken by extreme pain in around the anus and uterus area. Can never tell which organ it's actually coming from. Try to go to the toilet hoping it's gas, but the pain of sitting, let alone having a movement is eye watering.  All this happens when due to have or starting a period, not every period, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I also noticed this pain when I tried to use a menstrual 'moon cup' device during my period, which I had used previously without problem, but now find I am unable to use without causing the same pain once inserted.
I have been having a pain in my rectum and lower tummy area for about 4 hours and i decided to check out on the net. I found this forum and it kind of helps! I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) and i am overweight. I am taking diet pills to try and cure this from my doctor which are called xenical orlistat. I have drastically changed my diet and I'm wondering whether these pains are from the funny discharge and poo i have been having. The pain comes and goes but when it comes it comes! haha! it's so bad i started talking to myself. I hope it doesn't last much longer. I'm just wondering whether it is from the food i am eating? from the medication?? Anyone got any ideas??
I am a male who has been following this thread for some time now.  I originally posted in September of '07.  I still have the pain intermittently.

I am beginning to suspect dieting as contributing to this pain.  When I put myself on a diet, and I'm consuming less calories and sodium, my body puts out a lot of water.  I also try to increase my water intake while dieting so as to flush out my body.  I think it's safe to say that while dieting, and restricting certain foods (also while urinating a lot more), my body is lacking in certain vitamins & minerals that it eliminates with my increased water intake a urination.  I try to supplement with vitamins, etc., but absorption of those pills is generally poor at best.

I've noticed an increase of the pains while dieting for an extended period (maybe 3+ weeks).  My theory is that since my body is potentially lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, I'm more prone to cramping/muscle spasm.  Couple this with stress (which affects muscle contraction, etc.), and it could be the perfect storm for this horrible pain.

I've been supplementing calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and potassium for the last 3 months, and have noticed a drastic reduction in episodes of the pain.  I've had maybe 1 or 2 mild (lasting roughly 1-3 seconds) occurrences during this time.

I'm curious if anyone else can draw similar parallels?  You don't have to be dieting to be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals, as it's an unfortunate reality with the modern diet.

Thoughts?

Good luck everyone!
I too suffer from similar pains. I am about to be 23 and have been experiencing this pain since I was around 16-17yo. The first 2-3 days of my period are the worst and most painful. I get pain so strong that it makes me cry and I have to lay down. It starts off with a radiating numb pain in my lower abdomen and back then works its way up. I get nauseous to the point where even drinking something turns my stomach. My symptoms are as follows: sharp cramping pain in uterus,radiating stabbing pain from vagina to anus,radiating pain in back,top of my thighs and my lower abdomen. I get the sensation to go to the bathroom but end up there for about 20 mins because any attempt to move my bowels results in piercing agonizing pain in rectum and uterus simultaneously accompanied with nausea. When I am able to relieve myself I do feel slightly better. The pain in my uterus is sharp and theres a shooting pain in my vagina as well. Sitting down hurts and I can only find slight relief from laying on my sides. I end up putting a hot sock filled with rice on my lower abdomen and that helps tremendously,where after about 15 minutes using it I no longer feel cramps. When the sock is no longer warm i just reheat it in the microwave and place it back. I find thats the only relief I have for my pain. I do also take midol and other things like tylenol and motrin but they dont completely eliminate my pain. I havent been to the doctor in years for this because I just got insurance again this year but I really need to go. My periods arent very stable, they move around every couple of months so sometimes its hard to predict when I am going to have one and i've even missed some. I have even gotten two periods in one month (one in the beginning of the month and one in the end).I was put on birth control when i was in h.s and I think that gave me some relief if I recall correctly. Ive looked up my symptoms and it makes me wonder if I have some cysts or fibroids.
ive been having simular pains 4 the last few weeks, kinda niggly pains and sharp ones at times, they happen every now and then. i was in the bath earlier and i had a sharp pain in my anus, felt like a knife being shoved up there! it made me jump then i was worrying alot thinking i was goin to die! it hasnt happened since.ive been suffering with aniexty alot lately, just wondering if anyone else has due to the pain! im tryin to work out if i get it because of the pain or something else! i hate the doctors but i kno i shud go 2 put my mind at rest! many thanks x! :-) x
omg i was researching my symptoms and ended up here im glad i read ur comments im super scared im 20 years old and i want to have kids i dnt want to have endometriosis cuz it may cause infertility i even want to cry right now :'( it gets me sad to think about that. i have the same pain when im about to start my period or when it ends, its so painfull that have to stay still and wait till it goes away my mom once told me i was exagerating bt only we know how bad it hurts can anyone tell me if they were able to have children please i dont care about the pain im just concerned about me not having babies.
I had had the same pains for 10 years, however, they didn't come when I had my period.  They came out of the blue and whenever I had them I had to lay down for about an hour.  I went to numerous doctors and to may ER's and ultimately was diagnosed with endometriosis.  I had surgery and they scraped out the scar tissue that was through out my uterus and anal area.  The pain disappeared for the last 7 years, however the anal pain has returned recently.  I would suggest having your gynecologist rule out endometriosis.  It is a very hard thing to diagnose though.  So good luck
Ohemgee. All of you people? I began to get this pain, I think this year. I'm 15, I'm a virgin, and also get random pain where my ovaries would be... I'm so scared. I can't believe everyone has this. To be honest, when I think of the pain it reminds me of what women look like when they have contractions. Like, seriously, like some messed up braxton hicks [sp] or whatever they are. xD. But idk, someone realllllllyyyy needs to help us figure this out ]:.
Hello All,
I am really happy that there are others out there getting this pain as I was starting to get really worried that something major was wrong.
I am a 27 year old lady and I was on the injection for 10 years so during this time I never had a period.  Me and my partner decided we wanted children but as it can take 18 months to come out of your system and didn't want children for a further 18 months I came of the injection and went onto the implant. I had this removed around three months ago as we were now ready to have children.  Well since then I have finally got my periods to normal but also I have been starting to get this horrific pain in my anul area that spreads to my vaginal area, this is so bad that I can't even sit down, so to the toilet(number two) or pass wind.  I feel very sick during this pain and it last normally for aroung three hours and then the next day I feel tender around the anul area. I only get this pain during ovulation two weeks before next period is due.  Have only been trying for a baby for two months but if this continues and I dont fall pregnant think I might visit the doc.  
I had a pain similar to that to happen when I was pregnant  and my OB told me it was my sciatic nerve.  Hope it helps!
I've been having sharp pains in my vagina and rectum for the past 4 weeks. And I have gone to my family doctor constantly throughout this ordeal and she ruled it out as anxiety. She won't even take me seriously. When I lay down, depending on the position, I sometimes feel no pain at all. When I pass urine there is an immense amount of pressure in my uterus and sharp pains. After going to the bathroom the pain stays for a while. Even when passing stool I feel this same pressure. I am having an ultrasound done in a week, but this is unbearable. It has gotten better, but I am extremely worried something more serious is going on. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and an insulin resistant pancreas. I also haven't had my period in over a year. My endo. prescribed povera to help regulate my periods, but because I am having these severe sharp pains in my "female area", i am hesitant to take it, as it may make them worse. Should I take the med? I sometimes have these sharp pains when my period is coming, but, like i said before, i haven't had it in over a year. Perhaps it is trying to come? When I start walking around it seems aggravates my uterus and I start experiencing this pain and discomfort. I also have strange sensations in my legs. The pain regulates from my uterus and into my vagina. It sometimes feels like a sharp stabbing pain. I am 21 and a virgin. I also suffer from anxiety as well.
I have been having extremely sharp pains in my vaginal area for the past few years. They occur erratically, not at the time of my period (which occurs irregularly). I do not have pain in my anus. The pain is sharp as if a knife is stabbing the inside of me. I have also been getting lower abdominal pains, alternating from side to side (applying pressure increases pain). I am 18 years old and I am concerned about what this is. I was diagnosed with a vaginal infection (yeast I think) last year, and the medicine did not change anything. I have not yet gone back to the doctor. Any ideas?
Hey ladies - just wanted to mention that there might be another problem going on and it's worth getting a thorough physical, including blood work.  In my Anatomy and Physiology classes we learned about referred pain.  Referred pain is appreciated or felt in a different location, than the origin of the pain, because in your central nervous system, the area where the pain originates is innervated by the same spinal segment in your spinal cord as the remote area where you are feeling the pain. Therefore, you can have pain in internal organs, or at the site of a surgical opening for instance - and get a persistent shooting pain in a different location.

Another thought I have is stool softeners, for those who have not yet tried them.  NOT LAXATIVE which will cause cramping.  

Otherwise, I am so sorry for those of you who have this persistent suffering.  I get the pains occassionally and have had a bad bout today, but never for an ongoing period.  I think mine is gastointestinal related.

Goodluck.
Mary - nursing student
I have experienced probably all of what you woman describ, I went through all procedures and exploritory surgery's. My diagnosis: Interstitial Cystitis - I have tiny pin sized hemorages all over my whole bladder!! Sooo Painful and there are different servarities of it. I was told also that most doctors at least up until the few years have never even heard of it or ever learned about it. It is some thing newer that they discovering and still learning about. They do not know what causes it but do know it never goes away. It can go in kind of a remission phase I guess, but mine has yet to do so and before being diagnosted I had been dealing with it for over two years. It's now been a year since I had the exploritory surgery done. I have had not other visit for it how ever because the day I had the surgery it was also my last day of my insurance. So you can find alot of information from googling it, but I am still not sure what they can do to treat it. I have just delt with it for now. It scares me some times because I do know from what I have about it, the pain can be debilitating even and the pain I have on and off it almost just that. Hope this helps some of you to at least look deeper into Interstitial Cystitis. The surgery to diagnos it is not bad at all. They put you out and just fill your bladder to the max so they can scope it then empty the bladder and do it again. They do this a few times I guess and I got my diagnosis in the recovery room.
I have this horrlbe pain in my virgina when Im on my period and its not a hurt feeling it an uncomfortable werid tingling feeling I get and it stops me from sleeping I get it evertime im on my peroid and sumtimes it lasts for hours or even the whole day while the whole time im on my period and I can not seem to get rid of the pain for nothing.can someone please help me out cuz its a really brothring pain.
Hi everyone! I am so happy that I will be able to give this information and I know you will be happy to hear it since I have noticed no one had an answer. I also have these pains and it feels like lightening shooting from my perinium to my anus and vagina and it moves up. It feels like it starts from the surface of the skin and travels deep inside in an upward motion. THIS IS NOT GAS OR OVULATION!!!
This is caused from a torn muscle in your perinium. It is very common and occurs from pushing too hard during bowel movements as well as after having children. This muscle is very tender and is easily torn. The only fix is to allow to it to heal although it's highly unlikely that it will on it's own. You may have to have it sewn back up through surgery. It also happens more often in women who have had epesiotomies during child labour. Sometimes the inner part or your perinium never heals properly. Luckily if you plan to have more kids your perinium will tear along the old scar and your Doc can sew it back up and it will heal right without surgery.

It is very intense pain and it's because your muscle is basically split in two and can not heal properly. It spasms and causes that shooting pain. From what I hear the surgery for this is not fun and very few people take that route so it's not a common surgery. This is also common among males who are athlete swimmers or weight training etc. To relieve the pain or to have it less often you can try pilates to strengthen those muscles but I don't think it will cure it. Lifting heavy objects, is also one the main causes for those muscles to tear as well, so if you lift your young children a lot I can tell you right now that that is probably what did it! Hope this helps and puts some of you at ease. I plan to have another baby so hopefully I'll be cured after that.
My pain began 25 yrs ago after an abdominal hysterectomy. I had 2sections & an oopherectomy for an endometriotic cyst prior to the hyst.
Following the cyst I was permanently constipated & have taken Movocal ever since. I had rectocele after the hyst, repaired by colporrhaphy 16yrs ago which worsened everything & returned within months producing more pain & worse constipation. I now spend my life on my bed with intracctable pain & severe depression. If there is help I don't know about it and am at my wits end for relief
I had this same problems for 30 years and was told it was just about everything.  I have now gone through menopause and for the first time in my life it is gone.  I can tell you I am certain it is related to ovarian cyst, or ovarian cyst stangulationand not gas or it would not have gone away. I never knew when this would happen, usually a couple of weeks before my period and the doctor told me I was just ovulating.  I remember thinking if that was true women would be dropping like flies in the stores everywhere.  I knew this was not normal.  If I would lay perfectly still with shallow breathing for about 20-30 minutes I could usually get it to loosen up.  It feels like your female organs inside are being put in a vice.  It also radiated the pain to my rectum and it was bad.  You can't walk, stand, talk, cough,when this attack happens.  Look up ovarian cycst and they will  describe the symptons.  When they burst this is the pain you feel.  I had them removed with surgery when I was 18 but they continued to come back all the time.  Good luck
I have searched and searched for answers to this problem and have never come up with anything! I have had these shooting pains in my rectom & vagina for 4 years and am tired of hearing that it's just gas! IT IS NOT GAS!!  I think it has something to do with the overies and/or ovulation. Sometimes it is a vetry sharp pain for a short period of time--other times it is a dull pain that lasts for several hours. I really wish we could get some real professional answers.
Please google  levator ani syndrome and proctalgia fugax.  I hope this helps.  At least you may get some answers.

I also had this im 23 and it started after i gave birth to my 1st baby in May 2009 4 days later i was in agony during the night my husband had to call the emergency doctor to come out to me as i was screaming in agony from shooting pains up my bum. It started earlier on in the day but my midwife and my GP checked me earlier that day as they both thought it was piles. I was taken to hospital where another doc checked my backside and said again not piles and said i had to go to the hospital where i had the baby when i got there another midwife checked my backside and again no piles they then called a consulant through and checked my bum again funnily enough no piles. Yes by this point i really was fed up of people looking at my bum. I had a lot of problems having a no2 but thought that was down to having a baby 4days earlier. But today its back with a vengance the min i sit down it shoots up my bum so i have to lie down this time the pain is with my periods i came last night i am in complete agony with it tho lucky i have a understanding husband as he saw me go through it 7months ago after i had my daughter. I had a miscarriage in oct and the pain is a lot worst today then it was with the miscarriage in my stomach ive been lying down most of the day and husband has been topping up my hot water bottle which does ease the pain a lot. Ive noticed coughing and trying to pass a no2 is complete agony im gonna go and see my gp as its a bit of a joke now if i have another baby will it get worst? one thing ive noticed thats different to most women im not on any pill at all as me and my husband are trying for baby no2 so i dont think its pill related
I BEEN GETTTING A DULL PAIN IN MY. ANUS AND I HAVE A PROLASE  uterus. AND I DONT WANT TAKE IT OUT. I;M VERY WORRIED. AND I JUST STARTING TO FEEL LIKE I HAVE HEMMROIEDS. IN MY ANUS. DOES ANYONE NO WHAT CAN I DO FOR THIS. I ALSO HAVE ANTIXEY TO.
i cant tell you all how relieved i am to hear woman like me have experianced pain like mine, im 23 years old i've had similar pains like this but it wasnt anything as bad as it was this morning i do have this similar pain when on my periods i've always suffered terrible cramps during periods i prefer just to curl up in a ball until im free of pain but life isnt that simple so i take tablets and hope it goes, but the pain i had this morning was unbareable in my vagina & rectum, i couldnt sit down, even walking around was painful to do. so as always i done research im glad to have found this site, it shows im not the only one, us woman should have more information to why we get these terrible pains/cramps and how we can prevent them as well as treating them, all i can say good luck to us all.
Glad to have found this discussion!  Although I have not read all the responses, I can relate to so many of them.  I am 54, post menopausal and still have these episodes, as does my mother who is 79!!!!  The  Proctalgia Fugax makes the most sense for me.

Typically my pain awakens me in the middle of deep sleep.  I associate it with sexual frustration as my needs are more than my husbands at this time in our marriage.  My management is to take 800mg of Ibuprofen, which will eventually decrease any inflammation associated with the episode.  Then I walk around as lying down increases the pain.  If this doesn't help after 30 minutes or so I - (get ready ladies) - use an ice cube.

First I hold it in my vagina for a minute or so, then I hold it in the rectum for another minute or two if I can stand it.  (This is all done sitting on the toilet.)  NEVER start with the rectum then go to the vagina - nasty!!!  I may use two or three ice cubes before the spasm starts to subside.  It usually does rather quickly. (Keep the ice exposure to a minute or two, as the vagina and rectal tissue can be "burned" with the cold directly applied.)

I have tried heat treatment, but that only makes the pain more vivid and widens the area affected.  Hope this helps.
I too have these terrible stabbing pains in my rectum.I tend to have them in the middle of the night mostly,about 3am.My stomch starts to feel v uncomfortable and wakesme up. I start to massage my stomach in hope that it will help,but does not.I have found it works for me to get up and have a hot drink.This can help stop the stabbing pain from happening.There is no pattern (not that I have worked out).I am not preganant ,or on the pill , and it does not happen during my period.The next day I feel asthough I have been kicked in the stomach and I can feel sickly through the day and tired due to the lack of sleep. I am dreading the day it happens during the day and whilst I am in public , because I will just have to cling onto something until the pain passses and it usually make me cry with the pain.
I am 21 and from Ireland. I have had these pains for about 4 yrs i started on the pill wen i was 16. The pill i was told is suppose to help ease the pains but not for me and im starting to wonder if its the cause.
I only get this horrible pain during my periods and cant even stand for maybe 10 mins at a time.
I first went to a family planning clinic thinking that the doc there would have heard of this. She then checked me for pile which i tried to explain i had not. Then she went on to tell me that it cant be connected to my periods??? So after a lot of pain i decided to go to my own gp. He said this is not uncommon (as we know from this forum) and refered me to a gyno.
I have had an ultra sound and came back clear. So now i have key hole surgery on the 18th of Jan and hopfully some results..

Will keep posted, i feel your pain :(
Hi there
seems alot of us women have this,and too many are told its gas or its IBS
I had the first severe sharp pain when I was 37, it came on for no apparent reason, then a year later I got it
I am now 44 and this past 12 months ive had it nearly once a month and although I first thought it was IBS I am now thinking its related to ovulation and the fact Im probably going in to peri menopause
I have tried medications for spasms of the bowel with no effect, and as somone mentioned I dont have any gas or gastric for that matter. basically i try walking around, using a hot water bottle or last big bad time i even was layin on my belly rocking side to side,this actually helped. I did recently get diagnosed with hydro phalinx, which for 12months was misdiagnosed as ovarian cysts, basically my fallopian tube fills with toxic fluid and sometimes comes out, last year it got to 10cm by 5cm then popped, I was ill for 3 months from that, I had me appendix burst wen i was 8yrs old and am told it started my problems
has anyone had problems which possibly could hav caused adhesions to be causen all this pain? thats what im thinkin, ovulation or periods cause swelling, scar tissue is pushed and hurts, and dependin on wat its attatched to is where we feel pain, bowel, bladder, uterus etc
anyway im in agony as i type, time for a hot shower, a pill and a walk lol
Since having my daughter 18 months ago, i started to suffer from severe period pains and extreme pain during bowel movements while on my period, I also get shooting pains all over my abdomine, and inside my anus and vagina, these pains are disabling and very often i am doubled over wih them, my GP thought i had endometriosis but after having a laparoscopy that proved negative he ruled that out and sent me to a bowel specialist who performed a stigmoidoscopy on me but told me my bowel was normal. I've read that sometimes endometriosis isn't always visible to the naked eye so tissue should have been taken for a biopsy for testing under a microscope, which wasn't done in my case. I'm going out of my mind with pain, it makes me dizzy because of its severity yet no-one as yet can tell me why.I now just live dreading the next period. It's good to know I'm not alone in this.
as i'm typing this note, i too am experiencing a shooting pain on the left side of my butt close to my anus.  my bum is up in the air as i typed on my laptop on floor.  it really feels like my whole organs inside is going fall off and i feel just really weak.

i'm on my 3rd day of my period, and the pain just started this morning. this is the second cycle i've had this feeling.  i'm 33 y/o.  i've been diagnosed as having stage 4 endometriosis, adenomyosis, and had my fair share of laps and surgery.  my husband and i are still very hopefully in having a baby of our own. so, a hysterectomy is out of the question.  

i'm relieve to find you all, even in this unfortunate circumstance.  i hope we find some answers...and i hope that we think twice before having any kind of surgeries done...what is taken out, can never be put back.

God Bless!
ive been having very severe pain for the past 2 years, it starts on the left side of my abdomin (abdomen) n travels up my back n down my leg then a burning sensation in my lady bits, its so svere i feel dizzy and sick and struggle to move, i had an episode of this a few hours ago and looked it up on here n luckily found that im not alone in this, i did go to see my gp n she told me that my husband had probably cheated on me and gave me a disease, after all the tests it came back clear, and was told that after having 4 c sections it was "normal" to feel pain .....to wich i was gobsmacked as its obviously code for "i havnt got a clue" ive changed gps since! i had a scan when my son was 6 months old and was told my womb and uterus were enlarged but was told not to worry, im stuck as to what to do next as my gp wont refer me to a gyny as the pain is intermittent, ( 3 episodes a week arent enough) todays episode was the most painfull yet and i was alone at home with my 2 year old son unable to move, ive now decided to go and see another doctor and force the issue!
As I am relieved to find a group of women that share the same pain as me, I am so sorry for your cronic (chronic) pain.  For the past 13 years I have shared in this terrible pain with no proper diagnosis and no doctor that cares to search for the answer until they find it... I gave up on the quest until last night.

Last night was the scariest night of my life.  I woke up at 2 am with the usual menstral pains (sharp spasm like pains in my uterus area and pressure in my vagina, also I was ver nausious and had an uncontrollable urge to make a bowl movement) so I went to the cabinet for my pain killers.  On the way I fell to my knees in unbearable pain, I was unable to yell for help and unable to get up.  I lay there crying, helpless until I was able to gather strength to stand up.  When I stood up and walked 5 steps to my bedroom I fell.  This happens all the time during my period, I call it "blacking out" because I know it is coming, I feel weak-the room starts to sound 'funny' and everything slowly goes spotty into black.  I can hear like I am underwater and I am concious- I just can't talk.  So I lay here on the floor and about what I would estimate 10 minutes pass I am able to wisper a faint "help" my husband sleeps through this but luckily (and unluckily because my daughter is only 2) my daughter woke up and asked "what is wrong with mommmy" which woke my husband up.  He didn't know where I was and was quite groggy so I used all of my energy to tap my hand until he came.  He finally came and I couldn't move or speak (this has never happened for this long) and he was useless.  I had to gather all of my strength as if it were life and death to wisper help me to the bathroom.  (He was useless to say the least... but I made it there with him dragging me)  I made it to the toilet and relieved myself (while half hanging over it) but I couldnt wipe.  I physically couldn't wipe.  It was so terrifying.  He wouldn't do it so I fell to the floor and pulled myself into the shower.  I had him turn it as hot as it goes and layed there for 20 minutes until the contractions (cramps) became more mild.  This whole process I couldn't talk or move, I was dragged.  Finally I was able to store enough energy to make it to the bed naked and wet, unwiped.  It was humiliating.... He gave me a pain killer and I tried to call my mom (meanwhile my daughter was terrified and there was nothing I could do...I couldnt tell him to take her out because I couldnt talk) my mom answered (4am) and I said help (that was all I could get out) she said go to the hospital (she lived 12 hrs away)... I passed out and woke up an hour later able to pull it together.... This morning my mom was afraid I had a mini stroke (I have Lupus and I am at risk) but reading your stories I am thinking it fits with what you are going through....

Im just so frusturated, I am 23, no health insurance, Lupus and this unbearable pain in which NO ONE has understood (until yall)  ... the doctors do not take it seriously.  I am terrified for tonight, absolutely terrified... I can't do it again, I don't have the support or strength.

Thanks for letting me talk about it on here.  I'm really scared
I've just turned 15 ( under a month ago ) and I've had these pains since I was about 13, it used to only happen when I got my period, but as of 2008-2009 new years it got a lot worse,  New years eve I was on the couch crying in pain like a combination of stabbing/cramps/shooting pains up,more vagina than rectum and had to use the bathroom constantly, my mum thought i was just in pain from period cramps ( my period started on new years eve ) and told me to toughen up, around 2-4 hours later my dad agreed to take me to the doctors, they told me it was only cramps, had me take a urine test, which came back negative, they gave me some GastroSoothe which helped ease the pain for a while and told me to take painkillers, around June 2006 I got sick, - sineus + asthma + flu - and got my period while I was sick, which made the pain noticeably worse; the painkillers don't work and I've run out of gastrosoothe; ever since then I've had the sharp shooting pains up my rectum and vagina and severe cramp/stabbing like pains, my period is irregular and skips, I've had it since I was 9-10 (I started puberty early), I have never been on the pill and I am not pregnant. This is scaring me but I'm afraid to ask my mum to take me to the doctor because she says they don't know anything, which has happened before, but  I've currently had them a couple of days before the new year and they haven't gone away and still no period - it skipped last month - I'm really scared and the pains are getting worse.
Please help?
-Grace
i to have been feeling this pain but on the inside of my rectum and vagina but only for a few seconds and its a really sharp pain that makes me cripple up when standing. im only a preteen like 12 or so and im wondering if i have SOME FREAKY DISEASE im WAY to scared to go to the doctor so i might have to go through some painful stuff that i dont want to! if any of you could be my doctor please tell me what i might have. im scared out of my skin!
I had an episiotomy 2 1/2 years ago..I still get muscle pain down there...but last month I had pelvic pain right before my period..not cramps..then the 1st day of my period I could barely walk..my anus hurt and the pain was shooting up to my pelvic area. Today is the first day of my period this month and the same thing happened..I was at the mall with my friend and had to move my bowels..I felt like I was in labor...I had tears in my eyes..and when I sit..I feel the pain shooting to my pelvis/bladder are...so do I call the GI doctor or OB GYN?? or proctologist?
Hi, i just read your post and it was like reading my own symptoms, everything you described I also get, it's awful isn't it? It has bought me to tears every period without fail, I really hope we get a diagnosis for this soon, take care.
I have experienced extreme rectal and abdominal pain during menstruation for years. Sharp pain right up through my rectum and vagina and often radiating down my legs. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, after many years of thinking it was just bad periods. I have endo throughout my abdomen, ureter, womb, bladder and bowel. My womb was attached to my bowel through scarring. This has explained the horrendous and sometimes crippling pain. Frustratingly I had a laparotomy (after an exploratory laparoscopy) to treat this, which a major op but they couldn't remove the endo from my bowel as it was too dangerous. Although I still experience some pain at least I know what it is and I'm much calmer about it. I find that eating only vegetables with no dairy or fatty foods helps a lot with the constipation and the pain.This of course is only my story, please do not panic that you have endometriosis but do ask your doctor about it.
I have been going tru this pain every month for about 13 months now it is taking over my life im afraid of going anywhere when i have my period of fear of having a spasm as when it happens i usually collapse with the pain shooting tru my nether regions. I have had a internal scan done and it has been suggested that i have adeniomyosis and will have to have a hysterectomy. But they dont think it very serious as i have not got an appointment till july. If they new the pain i was really in they certainly wouldnt leave me this long. I am finished my family im 39. I had the mirena coil in before all this happened and had it removed as my hubby had vasectomy. I never before suffered with any sort of period pain and feel the mirena coil has caused this with me.
I see a lot of comments about it happening around/during your period. But that is not the case with me, I am glad I saw one about it happening after sex.  That is when mine happens, this is the second time it has happened the first time was so bad that I couldnt sit down for a few hours.  This time it sparked a day later and when I tried to go #2.  It's a piercing pain when I "push" and then lingers for a bit when I get up.  I also saw something about it happening when ovulating and the possibilty of gas. I'm just glad that I am not the only one going through this pain. I'm not sure if its bad positioning or what but it is not a fun experience.  It's from the pit of my stomach through my anus area. So, it's really not fun to sit directly down on it.

Anyone else out there with this who has thoughts or comments would be great!
i am on my period right now and it hurts like hell !im 18. i went the other day to get a papsmere and for them to check for cysts but they told me since i have not had sex i could not have a full papsmere, that i had to wait 3 years after i had sex or wait til i am 21..whichever one comes first were her exact words. so she put me on birth control. today is the 5th day i have been on ortho cyclen . it has made my cramps worse. im literaly on the floor cryin and in a ball for 3 days straight , prayin to god that i find some sort of relief. my cramps and lower back pain and headaches and nausea has taken over my life. i have had to cancel so many things, i cant get a job because no one will work with me and i feel no one understands the pain, i am basicaly on bed rest all my life. my aunt sent me 800 mg of ibuprofen and it didnt even touch my stomache. please help! i have tried baths..for me the heat makes it worse. i do not drink , i stopped drinking caffeine and im just running out of options.
Hi, I've had this pain too, for many years.  In my case it was deep infiltrating rectovaginal endometriosis, and it was cured with a bowel resection.  
I think this sort of pain can have other causes in men, but any woman who has rectal pain with menstruation needs to be checked for rectovaginal endometriosis.  Unfortunately, it can only be diagnosed by laparoscopy.  Also, many general gynaecologists are poor at spotting it, or spot the endometriosis but but don't realise how deep it's gone.  Deep infiltrating rectovaginal endometriosis can't be easily seen on laparoscopy - it needs to be felt, and the surgeon needs to suspect it might be there and look for it.  This is why it's hugely underdiagnosed.
I find it interesting that several women on here are saying they have mild endo and their doctors claim the rectal pain isn't related.  If you can manage to see an endometriosis specialist instead of a general gynaecologist, there is a better chance they will recognise it.

Hope this helps.
Especially to JUN82 -  I also experience these pains exactly how you describe. It first started about 4 years ago when I was about 22yo. SInce then i think i've experienced it about 10 times. It only happens after sex and starts about 2-5 minutes after we are finished. The pain is unbearable..shooting, piercing, pain throughout my rectum and vagina. The time it lasts has varried..a few times it has lasted about 2 hours and all i can do is lay in bed on my stomach and breath deep. Other times it has lasted only 10minutes or so and then goes away. I have seen 3 different OBGYN's concerning this and have had multiple tests and everything's always perfect. They tell me nothings wrong, it could be muscle spasms or gas. I have to admit that it is probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced, brings tears to my eyes. Some things that help prevent it i notice are..DO NOT have sex if you feel the slightest bit gassy or not-digested. Try to go #2 and then hot shower if you know sex is likley to arise. I do believe that it may be gas related. I have been cautious of those two things for about 4 months and I have not experienced it since then. I also noticed sexual position has something to do with it. 90% of the time I have experienced the pain it was after doggy style sex. (vaginal of course). I have learned to take an easier approach to that position. No rough/deep strokes. Hope this helps, I am sorry for your pain but am also glad someone else understands it. People were beginning to think i was crazy!
I have experienced many of these similar pains. Sharp, shooting, anal, vaginal, problems after sex, etc.  I had two surgeries, one for polyps (which irritated the problem and made things worse) and the second to see if I had endometriosis (which I don't, and again made things worse). I was sick of going to the doctors to just have prescriptions written and surgeries do no good (doctors just don't seem to care about you, it is almost as if they just won't to get rid of you instead)...I decided to take matters into my own hands and do some research.  I found a lot of holistic health sites that recommended yoga and herbs and all sorts of things....but one thing that appeared on almost every site was a tea....YES A TEA....I have been taking it about 6 or so months now and only during my cycle and it works wonders.  I have about 1/4 of the pains, about 1/3 of the flow, and just all together feel 100% better.  The tea is called Red Raspberry Leaf tea (most of you have probably heard of it). You can find it in most health food stores, Trader Joes, Henry's and the like.  I was also on birth control for aver 10 years (which I stopped taking) and I had problems at a young age with ruptured ovarian cysts and have had problems with my cycle pretty munch since I have had it.  The women in my immediate family all experience similar problems....so who knows, maybe it is hereditary all I can tell you is try it....I turned my sister onto it and she has been doing great since and many friends of mine as well.  Good luck to all of you as I know the pain is life affecting.
me too! sharp pain from vagina shooting thru anus. sometimes my legs feel funny. it feels like your girllie pats are in a vice. been having this pain for a month.usually in the morning and by mid day is gone. the sharp pains suck but the dull lingering pain under the pelvic area is the worst. when i go to pee sometimes i cry it hurts so bad. i've noticed i have alot of gas as well. and i have discharge.am scheduling an appt with my obgyn today so i will post the answers when i get them. i haven't tried to have sex yet because it hurts so much. i am on a maintence dose of pain killers everyday so there is no telling how bad this would hurt with out them. i can't believe there are no professional posts...just people in pain. that is awful. i really am worried because i am 30 an wanting to have my first child soon. good uck  and thank you all for posting. it helps to not know i am alone.
I am 52 and had a hysterectomy at the age of 36. This does not happen to me very often but when the pain does hit me it almost drops me to my knees instantly! The pain I experience shoots through my rectum and right up my back. The pains are very fast, sharp and intense. I have no clue as to what is happening and was trying to find a reason online, so far I have no answer as to what could possibly be causing it. I’ve been having the pain on and off now for the last 5 hours and it’s kind of scary to let my mind wonder terrible things.
I am seventeen and have been experiencing these symptoms for around a year. For the first three years of my periods I was fine, but just in the last year my periods have been unbearable- to the point where I vomit and pass out, I will have cramps that my mum says are not unlike labour- I will lay on my bed for an hour screaming, they will subside a little, then screaming, untill gradually the contractions begin to subside. Anyway, those are just the general cramps, I have been prescribed Mefamic Acid and this helps manage them.

BUT. I have never managed to get rid of these awful stabbing pains in  my vagina. It is honestly the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I had them just this morning, it is the second day of my period. The pains are around fifteen seconds long, they start of gradually and finish so unbearably that there is nothing else I can do but scream. It feels so acute, a knife twisting into my anus, and feels like my vagina is about to explode - bizarre I know but is the only way I can describe it. When I have these pains I cannot walk, cannot even move- the best coping strategy i have found is lay on your back, with legs slightly bent at the knees so your bum is slightly pushed up - therefore there is no additional pressure.

Nobody has any sympathy with me on this because they just haven't experienced it themselves. I feel like doctors are accusing me of having a low pain threshold to a simple ache that half the population feel. Obviously, having read your comments, this simply isn't true.
I have had the same exact pain you described!!!!  Its HORRIBLE!!!!  Once before i felt a stabbing pain in and around my clitoris... it was kidney stones which passed on there own.  But then last July I had severe pain in my lower abdomen and my anus n my lower back.  Yes it absolutely felt as if someone was stabbing my anus through to my vagina!!!!  I was curled in a ball in laying on my left side I thought I was going to die!!!  They found nothing at the doctors... two days later I found that I had lost a baby.  But reading all I wrote most people havent lost a baby so where did this pain come from???  Did it cause me to lose my child.  I have only felt that pain once and I never want to feel it again.  Im 28 and never had issues with anything until that July last year...  Now I have pain in my left ovary area... to the touch from the outside is it a muscle i dnt know 3 kids later it might not be the way it was!!!  Who knows I just feel like doctors may not know enough or because they hear it alot they assume other things.  I believe its worth not giving up on.  For people of all ages who feel this it IS NOT NORMAL!!!!!
To add on to what I wrote I'm having other issues regarding my period since then...  Id usually get it for 7 days after my 2nd kid it went to 3 days now after last July I only bleed when I go to the bathroom and it last for 3-5 days.  My last period I was in extreme pain almost like labor...  I bled one day on and off the next day was when I had extreme pain but no bleeding at all....  What happened to me???  Sometimes when Im using the bathroom and I push blood sprays out...to me that's not normal its like something is stopping my blood from coming out like its some kind of blockage...  My doctor said that birth control will help regulate my periods... see they are regular its just that the bleeding took its own stupid course...  My doctor blows me off every time.  She tells me im fine and only offers birth control... Any ideas to help me out here id rather bleed normally that have it going away... I like the norm...lol
Some of these comments are so funny! Well, I am female and get those anal cramps once in a while during my period. When they 'catch' me, I can't move - I have to stand or sit still - I actually freeze - until they go away. Most of the time when they come, after a little while I go do #2 (and it's usually a lot) and then, kaboom, crambs be gone. I just went through that process this morning and while dumping, I decided to search for answers online. I read somewhere it's just your bowel contracting and trying to push out the waste product.
I'm 32 and otherwise healthy.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and that I'm probably not dying.  Mine started approximately 6-7 yrs ago, and I get approximately 3-4 attacks a year. It usually comes after a large bowel movement and is not related to my period. But I was ovulating.     My last one started off as a right sided back pain which spread to my anal area, then the vaginal area chimed in, and then lower abdomen.  I describe it as a cross between constipation and a miscarriage.  I can feel my anal sphinter spassing (having spasms), and I get so cramped up I can barely move, and the pain last an hour, 2 at the most.  I took an 800 Motrin and it helped, I was left sore for 3-4 days afterwards, and  unable to have sex.  The cervical area is even left sore,  and I can feel my bladder shrinking after I urinate. Did I mention I get extremely bloated during and for days after.  As people have posted, I've been a wild cherry pepsi binge for the past two weeks, I drink coffee almost everyday, and I smoke.  So unhealthy me.  I've developed a craving for bananas, so maybe there is something to the potassium theory so I know that coffee can deplete nutrients especially potassium so maybe its dietary coupled with the fact I'm lactose intolerant, and I've had this pain before and after I had my gallbladder removed.  
I have been reading this thread and have a suggestion.  I too have been experiencing the exact same symptoms....excrutiating pain in the vagina, anus, lower abdomen, pelvic region - so bad i cannot wee or stand...just cry.  I went to the docs and they suggested sexual disease or pid.  My tests came back clear, but the antibiotics did help.  i still have the pain now, 8 months later, and it has now been suggested that i could be experiencing Crohns and Crohns related pelvic problems.  It is possible to have Crohns in this area as well as the bowel!  The flare ups could therefore be related to diet, if this turns out to be right.  I have had no end of uti's also.  Just another avenue to consider.
I have been having these exact symptoms for the past 6 months now, i have cancer and had a hysterectomy 3 years ago because of it, so its not period related at all, I do not know what it can be bit i go to my oncologiost next week and i wll try to find out hopefully, i am not saying you all have cancer, i am just saying i do and i have the pain just like all of you, ihave had every test known to man in the past 3 years and all they have found is a gallstone the size of my thumbnail hiding, i will post back as soon as i know something, i hope everyone gets better, i know how you feel and its miserable
Okay, so I'm experiencing quite a bit of this as well. I am 18 years old and have been experiencing the frequent stabbing, shooting pains in my sides. It tends to be more prominent on my left, but every now and then it will hit my right. It's always up right on the bottom rungs of my ribcage. Well, just recently, over the past week or so, I've been having a very bad problem with UTI symptoms. You know, the pressure in the abdomen during urination, the painful sensation that comes with it, the constant feeling of the need to pee but nothing comes out but a trickle. Yeah, all of that good stuff. Well, I've been drinking Cranberry Juice like it's the best thing since sliced bread, been drinking a lot of water and have even been taking Cranberry Pills (Cran-Assure, to be exact) and popping those like candy. I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of the UTI. It won't go away no matter what I do. Well, as of a few days ago, I started getting random, sharp pains shooting up inside of my vaginal area, almost like somebody is sticking an ice-pick in my uterus, ovaries, the whole nine yards. Generally it only happens when I cough, which is another thing that's really weird. I've also been very constipated lately. Now, my bowel movements are odd as it is. Sometimes I won't pass a loaf but once a week if I'm lucky. I've tried everything as far as that goes, but nothing helps. I just have weird bathroom times, but as far as the bowel movements go I've never been really constipated; I've just never been one of those 2-time-a-day poopers. But as of lately, when I do finally go, it's painful and I literally start crying. No joke. This is starting to worry me. I generally try to take pretty good care of myself, as well as I can considering I'm a full-time smoker and have been since I was about 13 years old. Other than that, I drink plenty of fluids, I try to eat as healthy as possible and I absolutely love physical, outdoorsy type things like walking. Also, sometimes if I sit too long my behind will go completely numb. Cheeks and anus sometimes are in-unison. Also, sometimes the area around my vagina will 'go to sleep'. They'll all be completely numb and it's the strangest thing. Hasn't happened lately, but the last time I experienced that was probably about 3 weeks to a month ago.

Anybody have any advice? This is so strange to me and I'm afraid I might have some sort of weird, unidentifiable lower-body disease that's going to make all of my important stuff fall out one day. I know it's a weird fear, but the way my lower half has been acting lately, it wouldn't shock me. This is new to me and I'm frightened. No health insurance, and afraid to go to the doctor's to get looked at in fear that when I do get some form of credit, it'll become immediately FUBAR since I won't be able to pay a doctor bill.

Thanks ahead of time,
Jillian
I am doing the same thing, i think we all are, so far no doctor has diagnosed any of us right, maybe we are a pod of aliens who knows, i go to the doctor on the 17th and will hopefully find something out. I have been going thru cancer problems for 3 years and this problem for the past 6 months. the numbness, the pain and bleeding (from vagina) when i have a bowel movement are all so strange, i had a hystectomy so how could i possible bleed, i was told my cancer tumor is what is bleeding and maybe the hard stool is prssing on it, but with all the other problems there has to be somehting else going on, hope you feel better soon
HI..
SYMPTOMS: PAIN IN VAGINA BEFORE AND AFTER PERIOD.
SHARP AND SHOOTING PAINS WHICH EXASTERBATED WITH EXERSIZE.
CONSTIPATION
FREQUENT URINATION

TOOK ULTRASOUNDS, MRI, CYTOSCOPY

RESULTS: ENDOMETRIOSIS AND ADENOMYOSIS

FERTILITY SPECIALIST REPORTS IN MAJORITY OF CASES DOES NOT CAUSE INFERTILITY

WANT TO HAVE BABY BEFORE. IT CAN RELIEVE PAIN FOR YEARS.

JUST WANT TO EXERSIZE AGAIN...ANYONE HAVE TIPS

THANKS
This may be a repeat post...by me sorry if it is.  Some of you may have pudendal neuralgia/pudendal nerve entrapment (PNE).  My mother has it and responded wonderfully to Lyrica.  A website which lists symptoms, treatments, docs is here: http://www.wwwwwwwww.wwww/
Here is an even better link:  http://xxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx/xxxx.  And another website: http://xxx.xxxxxxx.xxx. Good luck and I hope this helps you!!
Hey everyone, I get this sharp pain going up through my vagina and anus too, only it lasts for about a minute and then it's gone, but I keep feeling little pains but nothing like the first, where it feel like someone stabbed a knife right up through my insides.

I'm on my period, day one, and I have a heavy flow. Today I've been very gassy and passing gas seems to help, but that pain in unbearable, I can't believe you guys get it and it sticks around... I get a huge pain, gasp and before I breathe out, it's mostly gone.

I'm not on the pill, and haven't been for 3 months. This is normal for me, maybe once every month or two. I've never really thought about it, but maybe I should get it checked out? Not that that would help, apparently.

I think it's gas due to my period. But it's just so weird that it comes so quick and sharp and up through my vagina and anus...

Oh I can feel the gas moving through my intestines, like a big sharp pain there too then i feel the gas move, so I know some of it is related to gas. Not sure if the big pain up me is though.
For the past 8 or 9 months and only about twice a month I also have been getting horrible pain in my rectum and vagina.  It is what I call severe pressure like during childbirth.  I then think I have to have a bowel movement -  then I try to have a bowel movement only one very small stool comes out.  I am 54 and haven't gotten my period for 5 years.  I go for yearly pap and had one done in Sept and they didn't see anything unusual.  The pain in unbearable.  Anyone with any suggestions?
You may have "Pudendal Neuralgia" (PN) .   Google the word "pudendal" and find a website which lists symptoms, treatments and a list of doctors -  the doc listing is the key to finding proper help.  Often these clinics/docs -  if they find that you do not suffer with pudendal neuralgia - can pinpoint what is wrong or refer you to someone who can help you.  If you do have PN it can be managed with behavioural strategies, physical therapies, medication etc.  My mother went to so many docs and emergency wards  before a  doc trialled her on Lyrica and she got so much better.
PLEASE READ & let me know if you can give me some information.  In the last 2 years, I've had to come off of my pills 3 times.  Each time I have come off, in one week I begin to have pain all along my bikini area as well as rectal pressure when I walk or sit down.  I get naseus as well.  The other significant sympton is severe bloating.  I look like I am 4 months pregnant.  The last time this happened, my OBGYN said it could be my irritable bowel syndrome flaring up.  I took 4 laxatives in 2 days & finally had a good bowel movement.  However, the symptoms are not gone.  Please shed some light on the subject if you can.
I have this same pain.  it just started about a month or two ago.  It is a sharp stabbing pain (same as I got when I was pregnant) in my vagina, butt, and lower stomach. I have also been experience pretty bad back pains as well...not sure if it is related to the other pains as the other pains jump from one place to the other while the back aches constantly. Mine is a little different, however, in that I have gone a full year without my period and I started it finally last month for a day and I only bled when I wiped my butt.  I am not on birthcontrol nor have I been in years.  I am not on any new meds or anything.  just a full year with no period and all of a sudden mysterious sharp pains...
I to have this pain, I have had it for about 10 years now. 3 years ago I had a Laparoscopic surgery and had polyps removed from my uterus and  Endometriosis  was also found. 3 months after this procedure I became pregnant and through my entire pregnacy I was in and out of the hospital with extreme pain to my left side, and uterus. I was told it was kidney stones, then kidney infection, bladder infection, UTI, and the list goes on and on. I was even told I was going to loose my baby and maybe my own life! A few months later (and a healthy 9lb baby girl) the symptons stopped for a about 4 months. Now, I am right back to the excruciating pain at the end of each period. I am having them right now as a matter of fact (this is how I came upon this website) I am having yet another Laparoscopic surgery two days from now so I'll keep my fingers crossed that something good comes from this!
I have the same thing. It's very very very painful, it it so bad that i can't have any bowel movements while i have this pain. I wish there was a solution. It happens about every 3-4 months, not often, but when i do have it, it is HORRIBLE! I also may add that i have just started a high protein diet and am working out. SOMEONE HELP!
I am a healthy, 31 year old woman with 2 children and have been experiencing rectal and lower abdominal/menstrual pain for the last 9 years.  I am amazed at how many other women have been experiencing this pain I have been dealing with, and am grateful to know that I’m not alone.  This is my experience with the pain we are all trying to find a cure for.  

During the first 2 years of menstruation, I experienced excruciating cramps, which eased after I started taking birth control.  I quit taking birth control at 20, and at 22 gave birth to my first baby.  During the pregnancy, I experienced intense aching in my rectum, and was told it was 'probably' caused by the weight of the baby or hemorrhoids deep inside.  After giving birth by C-section, I was told I have a biocornuate uterus, a type of uterine malformation where two "horns" form at the upper part of the uterus, but was reassured that it should cause me no problems.  The pain lessened until about 2 years after having my baby, when I started feeling that dull ache in my rectum again.  7 years after having my first, I became pregnant with my second child.  Surprisingly, during my pregnancy the pain stopped, but returned yet again 2 years after giving birth.  My son is now almost 3 and the pain has come on strong, and it's getting worse.  

I mentioned getting terrible menstrual cramps as a young teen, and am familiar with what mentsrual cramps feel like.  The pain I am feeling now is similar and sometimes the same, but is only during ovulation, and is always combined with intense pressure and pain on the rectum.  It feels as if something is sitting on or pressing against it, like having menstrual cramps that shoot into my rectum, anus, and buttocks.  The only thing I can compare it to is the feeling you get right before diarrhea, or like being extremely constipated, like you really need to go to the bathroom.  Sometimes it sends a cold, aching feeling down into my legs.  Because the pain is becoming so overwhelming, I am starting to pay more attention to when and why it might be happening.  I have discovered that the pain is always during ovulation/2 weeks after my period, and lasts about 6 - 7 days, for about 20 minutes at a time.  

I recently saw my OBGYN, to whom I explained all of my syptoms (symptoms).  She simply said it's common to experience pain during ovulation, even in the rectum, and said it could be ovarian cysts which are also normal.  She said that my options were to take ibuprofin during the week of ovulation or have an ultrasound to look for any complications.  I had the ultrasound, and was told that no news is good news.  That was a month ago, I’ve heard nothing, and now the cramping is starting worse this month than ever before.  My Dr. hasn't yet made a diagnosis, or to be frank, taken me seriously, and I have no solution or cure to my monthly pain.  I am considering a list of causes, such as Levator Ani 'syndrom (syndrome),' or Proctalgia Fugax, Fibroids, or ovarian cysts.  

I appreciate the advice and suggestions I have read about on here, and hope that the suggestions I'm about to make, and my story, will help someone else.  Here are some things I have learned to do to help with the pain:
-take ibuprofin every six to 8 hours during the days the pain persists, day and night
-When cramps/spasms start, take a very hot bath
-Make sure you're having regular bowel movements
-Massage or push on the lower abdomen
-The most effective but embarraing remedy is to massage the inside of the anus with your finger, as deep as it will go, a couple of times until the pain lessens

I hope that this helps somebody, if only to let them know they're not the only ones.  Thanks everyone out there for posting something that might be embarassing or difficult to talk about.  Maybe if we all keep writing and seeking a solution, we'll find one.
Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me.  

I am a 33 year old, happily married, healthy female with a healthy sex life.  

My problem is this:

Once or twice a month, the left side of my vagina swells up.  It is swollen all the way down to my rectum (especially where my episiotomy scar is).  The pain is pretty much located to my rectum where the scar is.  It makes sitting VERY uncomfortable and my doctor has pretty much blown my off every time I mention it.  My pap smears come back clean, so I guess that's all he's worried about.  It is very painful for around 3-7 days.  I have no idea what's causing this and it makes everyday life and especially sex very painful.  It is even painful to touch anywhere around my anus.  This only happens on the left side, never the right.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
have had the same symptoms as everyone else for over a year now. have had lots of test but nothing untill month ago ,went to uroligist have intistial cystisis.starting taking a supplement prelief ovc with meals an drink it takes the acid out of foods that trigger it.it has helped but i also had to change diet an lots of water.if you are having a episode an if you drink alot of water an it helps it must be your bladder causing your pain.hope this helps...
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem...I'm 23 years old, and my pain hasn't been as severe as some of the other posts have mentioned, but it's enough to make me try to figure out what's going on.  

Mine started just a few months back...maybe 6?  I will suddenly get a sharp pain in my rectum or vagina, sometimes more up in the uterus area.  I think the uteran ones may be cramps, but that must mean that I get them during ovulation as well as during my period, which ***** because I never used to feel anything.  The ones in my rectum happen randomly, but after reading some of the input above it would make sense that there's a connection between all the tissues and muscles down there.

My fear now is that it's going to continue to get worse, as it sounds like that's what's happened to a lot of the long-time sufferers.  My mom's a nurse, so I'll see if she can ask around to her hospital friends and see if there are any thoughts.  I'll post here.
So, im going to share my story like everyone else. I'm 23 and have no insurance. For about 6mths ive been experiencing this sharp pain when I pee or bm. I am on BC, and really religious about it. Been on BC since age 12 bc of severe menstrual cramps. So, I know pain. This pain feels like my lower stomach, right around your panty line, is trying to be pulled out when I pee or BM. I don't have the money to go to a doctor or even a "free" clinic, so ive been trying to do this on my own. I've even talked to my grandmother who was a nurse and she thinks its a UTI. It dosen't burn when I pee, but that tugging sensation continues. AND, on top of it all, the pain is only the first 2 days of my period, and then it goes away. I do like to know that I'm not the only one, and to whomever stated that google is scary, yea, tumors, cysts, endo, all scary stuff when you can't afford to go get it treated.

Anyone have any advice? (BTW, have tried all the menstural cramp remedies out there, no dice)

Gvsuphisig
I am almost in tears after reading this. I first began having these pains around age 16 or 17. They went away for years but then returned periodically. It only occurs during the beginning of my period and it feels like my insides are being ripped out! Pain in my left side so intense I can't move and hardly breathe. It resinates from my left side and gets so intense that I can't tell if it is from my vagina or behind. Sometimes, after passing gas it goes away but not always. It lasts for a few minutes now, but when I was younger it would continue for some time. I went to dr after dr, had ultra sounds, pap smears, and many tests and all of them negative. Dr's just push me off. I am so glad to hear that I am not alone anymore. My heart goes out to all of you. I am determined to find out what this is.
I am so relieved to have found this discussion.  I have been dealing with this extreme pain intermittently for about 4 years now.  My last episode occurred early this morning (woke me from my sleep at about 3 a.m.); I am on my last day or so of my menstrual cycle, however it does not always occur during menstruation.  I get a SEVERE stabbing pain that seems to originate in the rectum and spread throughout the vagina and lower abdomen region, but with the most intense and severe pain residing in the rectal area.  This pain is the most intense and excruciating pain I have ever experienced (and this from someone who at the age of 11 had cysts on my ovaries so severe that they ruptured my appendix!).  

This pain has been brought on by orgasm, bowel movements, and, as happened last night, occurs while I am sleeping and will wake me.  The pain subsists for an excruciating hour or so, with no way to alleviate the pain.  It hurts when I sit, lay, curl up in a ball, walk, ANYTHING.  

The pain itself feels almost as if there is gas trapped in my rectum, but if this were the case, you would think that the pain would subsist with the passing of gas.  However, the pain simply seems to simply dull and eventually disappear -- it is now 8 hours after my last bout and I still have a dull pain and I can feel a dull spasming in my rectum.

I do have a history of suffering from large and painful external hemorrhoids and have been wondering if this might be a symptom of internal hemorrhoids.  My mother suffers from Colitis and has been hospitalized for bleeding ulcers in her rectum, however, I have never experienced blood in my stools.

I am just glad to find that others have experienced this same pain -- I have tried explaining this pain to others with no success.  I, like many on this forum do not have health insurance, but after reading what others have gone through, don't think that seeing a doctor about this would bring a diagnosis.  If anyone does find a name for what this is, or a treatment, I beg of you to PLEASE post!
In writing this I will try to get to the point as fast as possible. Let me start off by saying that I have had every symptom that was listed in the above posts for over 16years and thanks be to God I can help every last one of you. I am by no means an expert but I know that I know that what I am about to tell you will help you tremendously. Because I have already mentioned that I have had every symptoms listed above I will save time and space and go to describing to how my symptoms were relieved and hopefully soon will be totally gone. Let me just add I sympathize with each and everyone of you ladies and I pray and hope to God that you will take heed to what I am about to tell you. Many of you will not believe me but I wouldnt be honest if I didnt tell you the truth. The key to relieving all of your pain is to change your diet. I know that may sound simple but for me many years ago when a all natural doctor told me that if I had of listened to him I would of been on the road to being pain free literally ten years ago, For me I have been told to stay away from these foods, ground beef, all sodas,chocolate, and a host of other things. Not indefinitely but during certain times of the month. I have also included specific supplements all natural and plenty of water also no sugary drinks. There is so much to tell you and so little space. You are welcome to contact me at my address. E-mail me at ***@**** . GOD BLESS YOU !!! P.S. Stay healthy.Also if you could go online and look for info on PCOS it could really be of great assistance for you.
I am so glad that I have found this site as I have been experiencing most of the pain that has been described by many of you. I am 34 years old & have had my second child 6 months ago.

I have never had any problems prior to this baby until my first pain that I had about 5 weeks ago. It lasted about a day & today I have another episode which started yesterday around 8pm, so nearly 24 hrs now. I am scheduled for a vaginal ultrasound tomorrow as the pain is so bad. It feels like I have gas but cannot pass it, like I have to empty my bowels but cannot & a sharp pain in my backside but inside my anus that radiates towards the middle of my abdomen. I have been going to the toilet quite frequently for no 1's & no 2's but it doesn't feel any better. I don't seem to have pain in my vagina & I haven't even had my periods since giving birth as I was breastfeeding for 4 1/2 months. I have pain when I sit down in my anus/rectal area deep inside & it all hurts when I walk. I have taken panamax but it hasn't helped yet.

My GP said that it could be the ligaments/muscles within my pelvic bones - not sure if she meant the pelvic floor muscles. I did lift something heavy yesterday so I may have strained my muscles.

I'm not sure if it is a diet problem as I don't drink sodas or fizzy drinks at all, just fruit juice & water, I don't have much chocolate & mostly eat chicken, lamb or fish.

If anyone has any answers to this problem & know what it is, please post it here. Likewise, if I find out what this is, I'll post again. I feel for all of you & keep positive and do not give up.
I had this last night.. but mine does not go in my abdomen.  I felt the pain enter my vagina like a sharp knife going there and then the pain spread on to my rectum.. not just the anus but the rectal vault.  The pain was unbearable... I tried to do some relaxing techniques and it eventually faded.. but during this awful pain I also would have bladder spasms where I felt like I had to void, but I really didn't.. I couldn't get out of bed to even go potty anyway... the pain was just that bad.  I've had these before.. don't know if it is the same as you all are describing.
I have exactly the same. I have had this for around five years and the triggers are what most of you describe. The pain is So awful - the only thing that helps is rocking on all fours, taking pain meds and waiting. It nearly always occurs/or becomes intense at night and wakes me. I had a bout last night, and I can feel a dull pain coming back again this afternoon. But when it comes on properly it is AGONY.
I have the same pain mentioned above and I'm only 16 !!!!! It hurts soooooo bad. It started 2 summers ago before I even got my period. I also had a bump inside the left part of my vagina, but that has gone away, maybe it was a cyst? I am also a virgin so I have no idea what is wrong with me ..... I also am embaressed to tell anyone! Before yesterday, I had not felt this pain in months. However, I had track and we ran alot in the cold but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I was forced to run and I felt like I was going to CRYYYYYY AND fall down. When I felt the pain today, it also came with discharge. If I think back now, the pain has come when exercising at practice. Maybe its a muscle spasm? WHAT IS THIS ????????
I have had the SHARP stabbing pains in my right and left side of my lower stomach mainly  and through my vagina and anus for years. It hurts to sit down and the pain doesn't go away for at least 20mins. I went to the GYNI last year and they thought it could be endimitriosis, i had keyhole surgery a few months later and they found no signs of ENDI. Just a hell of alot of scar tissue wrapped around my ovaries and fallopian tube.

For a while after the op the pain disappeared. But now its almost been a year and the pain has been back for at least 5 months, I went for my post-op and they gave me gastro resistance tablets to try and stop the pain. They dont work!!

So now i'm just putting up with it, I'm 20 years old and really worried about everyone talking about not being able to have children is the only way to solve this. I want children!! but i think im still too young and want to be able to wait until i'm at least 24 and sort out a stable career for myself first. I hope there are DR's out there reading this that can help because im quite worried at the moment!!
I get the same pains but it seems to be almost exclusively on the back wall of my vagina and my ovaries. Also it rarely lasts more that a minute but many can come in quick succession, and its not always around my period or sexual activity. Another symptom is it seems like my cervix peels or sheds flesh monthly around ovulation time. I'm not on birth control. I had dysplasia a year and a half ago and it cleared on its own. This ***** a lot. Any ideas?
I've had the same problem. It started about a week ago, but has gradually gotten worse. I went 2 my gyno 2day & she's running cultures to see what the problem is. I went to see her because I got the mirena birth control inserted 6wks ago and I had to have a 6wk chkup. She said she's gonna test for STD's but I don't believe that's what it is...well let's just say I hope not. I've been with the same guy for 11yrs & we've been married for 3yrs now. I would hope be wouldn't stoop that low, but all I can do now is wait to here from my gyno. I thought I may have had something to do with gastrointestinal problems because I have a hard time going on a regular basis. So if everything turns out ok with the gyno, I'll go see a gastrointestinal specialist. I'll keep you guys posted.
I've had this pain also on and off for the past 7 years...I'm 25 yrs old now.  This is a HORRIBLE pain, and once, I had to be transported to the hospital...excruciating!!!  I was treated as if I had a PID with antibiotics; and given a shot for the pain, however, I have never had any form of PID or STD.  It's sad that there's no diagnosis for this condition, and it should definitely be investigated.  When I experience this, I am totally immobilized by a sharp piercing pain in my vagina and rectum.  I can barely walk.  Usually, I try taking motrin, and laying on my side...this alleviates some of the pain.  If I remain still for about an hour, the symptoms will subside...but word of advice: when you experience this pain, lay down, and stay off your feet.  Listen to your body, because this pain can become quite severe.  Glad that I found this forum. One luv, Ladies :)
I get the same thing and I've had a hysterectomy 8 years ago I am now 42 I also had many abdominal surgeries. I had a laparoscopy a year ago and was told I had massive scar tissue from surgeries. I still have my ovaries!
I'm 17 years old, and I've been getting these types of pain, too. It started a while ago...I can't really remember. I get them usually during or after my period. I've noticed that they pop up more often whenever I use a tampons. Most of the pains are near the end of my period, but sometimes I get them randomly when I'm not on it. The pain is in my vagina and shoots to my belly button and anus. It feels like I have to poop but then when I try it hurts so bad that I can't even sit down. I asked my mom about it, and she said it was probably just gas. It sounds like it might be, but I still worry about it because sometimes its only in my vagina and nowhere else. I don't really know what to think. I don't really want to go to the doctor if its nothing more than gas though. Also one one of my friends has the same pains so I'm wondering if its just a regular thing to have pains or not? When we're together sometimes she'll just stop what she's doing and wince in pain because of random vagina pains. We joke about it mostly but we're both worried we might have cancer or a cyst or something.
Well I have my test results from the doctor and mine ended up being colon cancer, I have recurrent endometrial cancer and it has spread intomy bowwl now and thats why i am having the sharp shooting pains, I am sure all of you do not have it but please get checked and dont put it off, i am stage 4 now and there is nothing left for me to do
I am 36 years old and I recently experienced this pain maybe about a year ago.  I was driving to work and I felt such a stabbing pain in my vagina that I had to pull the car over and do those labour room breaths to get over it.  It passed but now the pain is like monthly, my breasts will start to hurt and then I would get the stabbing pain in my left or right side until the period starts and then it goes away and when I urinate it feels like my bladder wants to fall out.  This weekend was the worst experience that I have ever had with the pain in my anus, my vagina and under my navel, I thought I would die.  To give my history, I have had a fibroid removed in 2007, I have yearly pap smears with no issues, I have not been on the pill since 2005 and I only recently started back having a sexual relationship and have been suffering with my allergies for about 2 months now.
I had sex on Saturday, went horse riding on Sunday and then had a crazy diarrohea due to IBS on Tuesday night.  I actually was having a shower on Wednesday when the pain came on, I started to sneeze and the pain just kept getting worse, all I could do was crawl into my bed with the towel on and pray.  When I could make it to the kitchen, I downed 3 Advil liqui-gels at one time and within 30 minutes I could move around again, with much less pain.
I am looking at the information from other on endometriosis and I will be asking my OB/GYN to test me for this at my next check-up. I am grateful for the information posted here as I thought that something was really wrong with me alone.
Hello!
I Experience this pain
it started when i was about 13 yrs old
I developed ovarian cysts and would feel pain lowwer stomache for years.
when i was 20 i went in and got minor surgery to see if it was Endometriosis  and wasnt , they found cysts and drained them.
The pain came back shortly but it is getting worse.
Started to take Birth control and that stopped the pain all together
i am now 23 I have been off birth control for a month and the pain is back
its stabbing pain
It dominant on left side but shoots pain to my anus vagina and whole lower stomach area.
(Brace yourself for whats next)
Alright I have a confession and i wonder if any of you have done this, this is for research so i will just throw it out there lol ... when i was in my teens and figuring out masturbation, i decided that using water from the tap to massage my Vagina felt good. so i would do that often with large amounts of water. kindof like in a hot tub jet. and im thinking water may have gotten inside and damaged something?
come clean if u have done this too because maybe there's a connection.
I have had he same pain.  I was having gyn surgery for otther issues
and they found severe adheasions from the rectum to the vaginal wall.
They removed them and pain was gone.  The adheasions were missed by the first gyn docs surgery, and I did have the pain before my first surgery.  A doc that is willing to deal with adheasions and has the updated knowledge is a must.
I'm 13, and I have the same pain. It just doesn't go to my anal area. But the pain is excruciating to me, and I have a really high pain tolerance. I've had these pains for 2 years now. It hurts so bad I can't even walk. If I'm standing, I collapse to the floor.
I am having some of the same pain as describe by so many.  The pain in my anus will wake me in the middle of the night and I feel as if I need to go to the bathroom.  At the present time, I am seeing a pelvic floor therapist and have been diagnosed with pain in the pelvic floor muslces.  One of the diagnoses was proctalgia fugax and involves the pelvic floor muscle, the levator ani.  There are many treatments out there for this, so please ask your dr. for a referral to a pelvic floor therapist.  Stress can make this worse and they have ways to help you relax those muscles.  I have seen an improvement.  
i have just went to my Ob/Gyn and he did a vaginal ultrasound and it showed nothing but now he wants to schedule me for a endoscopy to look further .. I hope this yeilds something cause i would like to know what is going on with me the pain is so unbearable.I never knew  this many woman suffered the same as i do ...you are all in my prayers...
Since Years I Have The Sharp Butt Pain That feels Like a Nail Or Skrewdriver Is Ramed Up There..Lol But It Always Only Laster About 3-7 Seconds And Like 3 Times In A Day, Always A Day Or 2 Before My Period.. But YeasterDay I Had To Call 911 And Was On The Ambulance Before I Knew It. I Thought My Guts And Rectum And Vagayy-jay Where Going To Rip Apart.. 9 hrs in the ER Touched  Fingerd,Hosed And Scoped In All Areas..TMI. I Know... To Find Out I Had (a Cyst On The Overys That Had Ruptured) Ok Makes Sence..Right.. But What About The other Times It Happens... Yes No where Near Intence As Yesterday.. But Same Sittuation.. So Why Dose This Happen???? And I Was Imbaresd Typeing Anal Pain In google. But As I See Im Not Alone.. Sorry For BAd Spelling..
I have been having similar pains for the past 2 or so yrs.  I am 35.  I have had 2 babies.   It feels like my uterus is falling out or like I'm being turned inside out down there.  I have tried to explain it to my dr.  She never sees anything out of the ordinary.  My pelvis is tipped she says, whatever that means.  the pain is usually right before or at the beginning of my cycle. I have not been on a pill in years.  They cause me to mensturate 28 days a month!  (was on them as a young teen though for very painful cramps)  And bowel movements are SOO painful.  I have to sometimes grip the tub and the sink counter and breath through it.  Then for days I can hardly stand the pain in my anus.  She keeps telling me that the hemmohoids are not bad enough to do anything about just yet.  I say walk a day in my shoes then tell me that!  I am glad that this is not just me.  I'm not nuts.  Now, if we can figure out what to do from here so we can make it day to day and not panic when it's time to go #2...
I am 15 and am also having these sharp shooting pains. They only come with my period and usualy when i have to poop while on my period. For a girl who has a great digestive system and poops about 3 times a day it is quite painful to go through this so often.
There is often kind of a warning. Like my cramos with get extra bad with pain through my back. I am also a 15 year old freshman that is involved with things 24-7. And its hard to explain you have to go sit on the toilet to your high school drill team coach... Embarassment. The pains usually happen when i am sitting or laying down. However  I have experienced the pain in the middle of a dance routine at my studio. So i am not sure how active you have to be to get ride of these pains. i have had these pains for about a year and a half. Right around the time where my "curves" developed. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it though... Well, i wanna thank you guys for letting my know i am not a strange mutant child and that other people go through this too :)
Has a doctor ever checked any of you for Kidney stones?It will cause pain as you all describe..I know beacause I get them severe at least once a year.It also could take a few days to pass them through.You may want to get an ultra sound and see if you have any stones present.I have three waiting to pass one day..so I know wehn I get these sharp pains I am probably trying tp pass the stone. It doesn't hurt to ask about this with your doctor.
I am so glad that I came across this site, for I too thought I was alone!!  Forgive me, as I am writing this on only 3 hours of sleep...  I only got 3 hours of sleep because of the same lower abdominal/sharp- knife like pains in my vagina and rectal area as well...  Just like the majority of you, going to the bath for a BM is simply a no go...  I try so hard, but nothing comes out, but I am not irregular either...  The pains are not gas pains, and these pains are debilitating...  Debilitating to the point where I have missed work and care barely function.  These pains started in Feb 2010- 2 after I had the Paraguard inserted and then my period started.  My period has become much heavier (per the side effects of the Paraguard), and I got these pains on the first day of my period.  I went to the doctors, and they took stool samples and said nothing was wrong with me, and then proceeded to charge me for the visit and tests promptly...  I don't have insurance yet, but I need to figure out what is going on...  This is entirely too painful and I have a life to live, I don't have time this mess....
I have had these pains for years im 48 and had all female organs taken out 19 yrs ago.  ive had endo and they took my gall bladder out and lots of lapiscopic surgeries...my pain last for days as i get older...im so thankful i foumd this site..i dont feel so alone!
Wow, I cannot believe I'm not the only one who has experienced this! And I thought I was crazy. Usually, I get a sharp stabbing feeling in my vagina that maybe lasts about 5-10 minutes when I'm on my period, and then it goes away. It only happened when I was on my period, so it didn't worry me. Today however, I had to stay home from school because I could barely walk!
I thought it was a pain in my cervix. I thought that my cervix was just opening up, or dilating a little bit so it could pass my endometrium (or period blood, sorry tmi) through my body. But I am not even on my period, and it's worse than it ever has been.
I read a comment that said it hurt even worse to relax your muscles when going to the bathroom - I know what you mean.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but for almost a year now I have been experiencing extreme pain in my lower back, tail bone area. I got an x-ray and they said there was nothing wrong. The doctors said it might be a bowel problem. I got some stool softeners and yes, they helped me go to the bathroom better, but the pain is actually getting worse.
Nerve problems, maybe?

Doctor's should really try to figure out an answer to this, as it's obvious it's affecting alot of women.
To those who have given birth, has this pain decreased since you've had children, or has the pain become more intense?  Did you experience these cramps during your pregnancy?  I am actually frightened to get pregnant one day, because I'm scared that this pain will get worse!!!  I think a common link with many people's symptoms, though is the fact that many of us have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts...I think maybe that makes the pain even worse.  What do you think?
I am sooo surprised that there are this many people with the same conditions I have. I thought I was the only one. Everytime i searched my symptoms it came up "pregnancy" I'm NOT pregnant.
I am 20, and the first time i ever experienced these symptoms were about 7 months ago. I'm on birth control and have been for 3 years now. I had just got done with my period, and I used tampons. I was so scared when I got shooting/stabbing pains up through my uterus. I have ovarian cysts, which is why i was put on BC at a young age. I told my mom about it and she was confused. I went to the OBGYN because i suffer from UTI's all the time. I went through hell figuring out what was wrong with me. I still don't know. They put me on UTI medication and the symptoms stopped after SEVENTEEN days of high dose meds.

Today...I finished my period and low and behold...the shooting pains are back. They are so annoying. I think they stop and then they start again especially while laying down. I'm drinking tons of water. I honestly dont think a uti has any correlation to these symptoms. I know what a UTI is and this isn't the same pain. I'm so fed up with all of this and I'm scared that I will never know what the real problem is, since no one seems to know
I am 40 y.o with endometriosis, but I don't think that is relevant.  I have pain similar to alot of you ladies.  I have been researching trying to figure this out.  I think for me and possibly for some of you, it sounds like myofascial pelvic pain syndrome.  Google it and check it out.  
Good Luck to all!!!!
I am 14 years old and have exprianced this for 6 months now i get it randomly and i tend to get it more on my period but at all times. Currently it is driving me crazy. During it i tend to try and poop thinking it will help ... IT NEVER DOES. if anyone knows what it is PLEASEEEE post cuz it *****
My husband and I were pregnant last fall and had a miscarriage around Christmas of 09.  The doctor said that if I do not miscarry naturally within 4 days to have a D&C.  I had one right before New Years Day.  One month passes and I have no period but this incredible pain shooting in my abdomen, vagina and anus...it lasted for three days.  It is like a knife when I try to go to the bathroom but it is not a UTC.  3 months have gone by and I still do not have a period (which I find odd) but I do get these sharp pains around the time that I should get my period, so sharp that it brings me to my knees and I can't sleep at night.  My family doctor and OBGYN are not much of help, they keep telling me to call back next month if I get the pains and do not get my period.  I've been doing my own research and wonder if the D&C caused this.  I'm wondering if maybe I have Asherman's Syndrome but don't know who to go to in order to find out.  I too have been on the pill for a long time.  I've had an ultrasound and they do not see any issues.  I took 18 blood test and they told me I have Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) which  is a rare genetic defect that can lead to complications in pregnancy.and I should not be on the pill.  But this doesn't explain the pain that I get every month and why I am not getting my period.  I hope I get my period soon and the D&C didn't cause any damage to me getting pregnant again.  I really don't want to deal with these cramps every month, I wish there were an answer or a specialist I can see.  My family doctor and OBGYN have not recommended anyone?  If anyone can offer a suggestion of who I should see, please do.  I also wish a doctor was on this forum...so frustrated right now

I totally have the same symptoms you all have, and I spoke to my mother, who was more help than anyone, and she had asked me if I am ovulating when the pain erupts. I am, and I just had the worst bout of it yesterday...I looked it up on WEB MD, and there is a condition called mittelschmerz, which is german for "middle pain." The symptoms can be confused with appendicitis, but really it is when you are ovulating, a small amount of blood is discharged from your ovaries, and the pain you are experiencing in your lower abdomen, anus, and vagina is the blood seeping back into the abdominal wall. The pain varies for everyone, it also depends on how close your ovaries are to your abdominal wall.

Hope this helped, it made me feel better :)
i also have these pains, i am not on any contaceptive ... pure agony...
I have the same pain but only in my anus and it's lasting about ten mintues. I can't sit or even walk. I think a little too much sexual activity caused the problem. I don't do anal, but my vagina had felt sore and intercourse did hurt much the same. But that went away. I just suddenly woke up at night, walked to the kitchen and I was struck with pain in my anus and lower abdomin (abdomen). I have 3 kids and did not have an epidural and the pain feels the same except less intense (but still very painful). I think it's just my body's way of recovering- anal contractions I would say in my case bc it did occur after a couple hours of sleep, when ur body recovers. I don't know medically what's occurring, but next time just try to take slow shallow breaths. U think kegals might help?
This happens to me too and has been happening since i was 17, im now 23. Bt i only get anal pains nd they r unbearable. It usually occurs during or jus b4 my period. The pain lasts a few seconds bt is tremendous. Im actually here becoz i am on my period an i jus had d pain nd almost fell from my chair tryn to clench on sumthn. So i thot its abt tym i try to get help. Im surprised its a common problem, neva thot any1 wud understand. I dnt hav kids bt i think this feels jus lyk labour pains. Im glad someone sad labour pains r better coz i'll b well trained by d tym i have kids :-)
I get this pain too. Only in my butt and only on my period. It lasts all of 10-15 seconds but can easily be the longest 10-15 seconds of your life. It starts out agonous and gets increasingly worse til it hits a peak, and then from there dies slowly til its gone. Other than it happening with my period, it pretty much happens outta no where.

This is gross, but I notice that if I try to hold in a fart or if I have to poop and am not at a toilet, I'll get this pain that feels like someone sneaked up behind me and stabbed me in the butthole with a razor blade. It's enough to stop you dead in your tracks and make you drop to your knees. It makes you clench everything in that area, but I noticed if you can force yourself to relax, and push out whatever is in there rather than hold it in, (and I'm not suggesting that you crap yourself in public), the pain becomes less severe and goes away more quickly.

I have asked my doctor about this, and she seems to think it has to do with the positioning of one's uterus and the swelling during the menstrual and pressure against the rectal area. She said, our uterus naturally presses on that area during menstrual cycles and especially child birth, and depending on how far back your uterus sits, trying to pass stool or gas may cause that increasing pressure and "random" pain. Soo, I'm hoping this doesn't imply an even larger amount of pain for peple with this problem during childbirth, but I'm thinking that it may. Well, regardless, good luck everyone
Wow.. finding this forum comforts me.  I have been experiencing this weird sensation now off and on for over 3 years.  I haven't been able to pin point it to anything.  My pain wakes me up from a dead sleep with anal pain which often I question for possible vaginal pain.  It feels as if it is spasaming and releasing.  The pain is so severe that I can't get any relief from it until the  cycle ends.   The pain last for about 30 to 40 seconds and then releases for about a minute then starts back again.  Last night it lasted for a total of 1 and 1/2 hours.  I took 2 muscle relaxers last night and nothing fazed it.  I couldn't sleep so I took  hot bath and it helped durring the painful intervals.  I have been so embarrased of the situation because how do you describe something so weird.   I even hid it from my husband up until last night when I couldn't stop crying from the pain.  The only thing that I have found to help is hydrocodone and a hot bath.  I should feel fortunate to say it only happens maybe once or twice every few months but that is still too much in my mind.  It almost as painful as passing  kidney stone.  For the record I am a 43 year old woman, have had no children, no birth control.  Diagnosed with Endometriosis at 21 but not bad.  I still menustrate regulary with not much pain.  I am clueless of why this is happening but I hope we can all find a cure for it.  
I forgot to also mention, I did have a miscarriage and a d&c and this wasn't happening before that procedure.  
Hi I also have been having these pains. I am now twenty six but I noticed that this started after I had my first child. Since I had him vaginaly and his head was too big they had to cut me a bit down there. Then after that I noticed these pains. Just like all of you these pains also come when I am on my period.

They are very excruciating pains that happen when I need to pass gas or need to take a poop. Especially when I need to take a poop. They shoot up my vagina an my anus. They are so trong that they make me want to cry. But I noticed that before its going to hurt I feel like gas moving around in my stomach and then the pain comes. What i have done is try to hold my abdomen and just go for it. Ohhh it hurts so bad but If I sit there and wait try to do it slowly I will only be in more pain. So I try to just get it over and done with. Don't get me wrong there are times when it is so strong that I also hold it for like a day or two until I know that I can go to the bathroom in "PEACE"

But I have a difference I have these pains even after I have to go to the restroom. If I'm sitting down and have to get up it shoots up my anal. So I have to get up very slowly. Then if im walking and I start walking too fast it shoots up again. Even at night when I try to lay down and go to sleep.

We should all write down facts like at what age did this start, when did it start, when do we get it, how long it last, and when does it go away so that we can see if there is something that kind of triggered this. Like say a birth or something.

Thank you all for posting your comments. I am glad to know that I'm not alone and I'm not the only one going through this.
OMG it is so good to know that I am not alone,I have been having this pain for about 11 years now it starts with the need to poo. but i can't and i feel pressure like gas but the pain shoots up the left side of my bum sometimes it will go away ,but like this morning I had a sudden rush of pain and was so dizzy and wanted to vomit broke out in a sweat I had to run to my bed and wait it out. 30 min later I am fine? my husband has become very good at supporting me he will come and hold me while I sit on the loo its so painful !!!! I just cant get through it with out him, I am a mum and had a natural birth so I know pain. it never last long but it is the worst pain I have ever had,same story my doctors over the years have fobbed me off with IBS, I do think that diet has a role in it at least for me,hormones,stress, when I found this site I burst into tears!!!
thank you all for sharing your stories it has really helped me
oops I sent that twice forgive me I am new at this .I just wanted to add that I am 39 years old I had my son 18 years ago,I am a bit over weight,I have had mild prolapse for about 2 years,had a miscarriage last year at 3 months,  
I am so relived to finally have some ideas of what tha problem might be! I never knew there were so many women out there who suffered as much as i did. For me the problems never started until after I had my daughter. The first year after the birth of my daughter I was told many things like it was just my uterus shrinking back to it's normal size or it was just from the strain put on my bwels from the birth. Being a cancer survivor I began to worry but tests ruled that out. They then started with the different birth controls as a solution but I have a bad reaction to birth control (heavier bleeding) so I stopped that all together! After a while I was embarassed to keep complaining about something that no one would believe was wrong with me! My own family members had a hard time understanding the amount of pain I was actually experiencing! It has been six years since I had my daughter and this all started. I have just learned to suffer in silence! Atleast I have some answers now and don't have to feel so alone in my suffering!
THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING AND HELPING ME UNDERSTAND THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Good gravy ladies this is just awful,

I am 21 and have experienced the same pain normally when i am ovulating and on my period. I have been to my GP twice and is it just me or is the main  response to this is "Yes ovulation tends to be painful for all women"  or "Period cramps can seem very intense" I have given birth and am very aware of intense pain but this is unbearable.

What I'm getting from this lovely forum (my heart truly goes out to you all and it is very emotional to see I am not the only one suffering from this) Is that it doesn't seem to matter what age you are or what birth control you are on (I don't take the pill) and that most of us have been to see useless unsympathetic doctors with no cure. We really need to do something.

Places like this fourm are where illnesses are discovered and we could be suffering with something that doctors have not yet reasearched into enough to diagnose us with anything properly. They are just putting this down to an entirely different illness or fobbing it off as a dramatic bunch of women being hypochondriacs (I think we have all felt like that at one point in time whilst suffering with this)

Chins up ladies, it seems we may have to grin and bare the awful pain until doctors can be bothered to take us seriously

Emily  
Good gravy ladies this is just awful,

Emily  
I can't tell you all what an absolute relief it is to find this forum. I've been suffering from these pains for years and years, I've never seen a doctor about it mainly because I was embarrassed.
I always get the pain either a couple of days before my period starts, a couple days after it finishes and/or during ovulation.
I woke up this morning at 7am in excrutiating pain in what felt like my Uterus but especially localized to the Ovaries, right through my vagina and rectum. I too like everyone felt the need to go to the toilet, but was sat there clutching the sink close to tears because it was so painful.
The initial cramp has worn off but the whole area 'down there' is still very tender and I've had random small spasms since then.

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for sharing your stories and for making me feel normal and realizing I'm not the only one. I'm so sorry you've all had to suffer the way I have and that the medical profession don't have a clue. I know its not much help, but you've all made me feel a hell of a lot more at ease so thank you and I hope something comes up soon that helps us all!! love to you all xx
Ladies, this is my second post, after my first one on 18 Feb 2010. I have just been to my gynacologist after having a blood test & a vaginal ultrasound the previous month due to rectal pain that shoots up from my anus into my abdomen as I sit down, as well as feeling like I either have lots of gas that I cannot pass or have to do a poo. Neither actually made the pain go away & my GP couldn't find anything wrong. The pain used to last a few days, during walking or sitting down it was excruciating, like a knife being thrusted up my anus into my abdomen. I couldn't walk upright & lying down was the only relief. I've only had 3 episodes so far, about 4-5 weeks apart and I might mention that this started since I've had my second baby and stopped breastfeeding her after 4 months. I haven't yet had my periods since and she is now 8 months old and I am not pregnant. My gyno was great & only had to listen for my symptoms & straight away had the answer. I have a blocked uterus due to some tissue that remained after giving birth which may also be due to a curette I had to have to clean remaining placenta after giving birth. This means that when I have a period, the blood cannot come out of the uterus and causes the pain radiating through to my anus. So far I've had 3 periods apparently as I've had the 3 episodes of pain. He has scheduled me in to have a hysteroscopy (a tube that is inserted through my vagina & cervix into the uterus) to clear the passage. Then he has to insert an IUD for 3 months so that the passage will stay unblocked which I can then get removed if I want to. I hope this helps at least some of you but may not be the case for ladies who haven't had babies yet.
Best regards, Judit
STARTING LAST NIGH I WAS GETTING QUICK SHARP PAINS IN MY VAGINAL AREA AND ONLY THE VAGINAL AREA, BUT THEY ARE JUST QUICK PAINS YOU KNOW FOR LIKE 2 SECONDS BUT IT KEEPS HAPPENING AND IM READING ALL THIS AND IT SAYS ITS MOST THE TIME AFTER THE PERIOD AND I JUST ENDED MINE ON THE 16 BUT JUST GETTING THEM RIGHT NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN MAY BE THE PROB...ITS NOT CAUSE IM PREGO RIGHT CAUSE I AM TRYING TO GET PREG AT THE MOMENT.
So, i`ve been getting these pains for a past...oh year or so, for a while it was a few times a day now it`s gone down to anywhere from once a month to a few times a week. It`s a sharp shooting pain in my vag and butt, that like travels through me i think of it as a lightning bolt because it`s such a sharp pain and only lasts a few seconds. I went to my doc today for a reg. exam (too embarassed to mention what was going on) and she said i have a yeast infection, so i`m thinking alright..uh i`ll get on that. But why would i get the pain in my butt if it was a yeast infection. I looked up yeast infections and it doesn`t say anything like that (regarding the sharp stabbing pains). So i think i`m going to have to work up some courage already and tell her what`s happening. I`m glad i`m not the only one going through this. It worries me but i still have yet to tell anyone except you guys about it. Oh, and it`s just random times that it happens too, nothing to do with my period or going to the bathroom or anything.I don`t think it`s gas.
I read somewhere on here too that some people are getting what seems like tha same pain under their ribcage and you have to take shallow breaths until it goes away, well i`m getting that too. Not as often as the other pains though. I just want to friggin figure out what`s happening.
I've been having this pain lately too. I've had various other gastric and digestion issues as well, but nothing seems to help. My symptoms are all mixed up because I think a have certain food sensitivities - or SOMETHING to do with my gastric system, in addition to something causing the same stabbing pain you describe.

I did see that someone tried upping their vitamin K but I haven't tried it. If your pain changes with different foods it could be because certain foods have more vitamin K which would help, while others have vitamin E which is a K blocker. The article I read was for a different situation, but it's related, and it's something doctors overlook, so I think it's worth trying when all else fails.
Here's the article:
http://www.ctds.info/ovarian_pain.html

Instead of taking a supplement you could just keep track of what foods you eat and see how it affects the pain. Hope it helps some of the many women suffering like me!

P.S. I'm a virgin so if you have what I have it's probably not STD related....
Hi all,
You gals(n guys) have SAVED MY LIFE !!1
sounds dramatic but thats how I feel. I read this looong list and realized IMMEDIATELY the answer to my problem. There are obviously women (n men) with problems different from mine but Ive been having the super-intense rectal pain related to stool thing. I could never see the pattern until I read this site SO THANKS TO ALL for sharing. Really I feel weepy, but moving on.
Im a guy whos had this for 25+ years and have suffered through all the tests and flareups and sloppy doctors. Heres my solution (im trying it starting today - so take with a grain of salt)

A: eat more veggies that are LOW in fiber HIGH in water(grn peas, cucumber, winter squash, frozen corn) and eat more nuts (roasted at home but bought w/o salt chems etc is good too)  as snacks and meals - recipes on the net). You wanna have a consistent quantity of all the time to stools (busts of fiber are hard on your system and are like burst of exercise - no pattern)

B: dump as much chemicals as you can, #1 = anti-perspirant(! bear with me :) methylparaben and dioxin are rapidly absorbed in the skin and grooming products(soap and....sorry -> your fav perfume) are the highest sources. this is KEY for women and especially teenage girls. How can you tell whats in what ? (soap = no ingredients list) ; if it smells strong dump it, this is usually a sign that a manufaturer cut corners to make a killing (profit margin on cosmetics anyone ?). Only buy stuff for you skin at healthfood places (if you wouldnt eat it.....! kidding: ) - it costs more so use less - Ive very rarely met a woman who needed as much, if any makeup as she was wearing(in north america its the mostly guilt-marketing anyway).

C: drink veggie soup at every meal if you can (make 3 days worth -> fridge) drink all juices dilute, DRINK with meals and drink lightly (less load on on you kidney, more into your digestive system).

D: if you eat beans(soft -= no kidney beans, good = lentils, mung, grn peas) mostly for you protein (everyone should be doing this anyway unless recovering from surgery), add hing (asafoetida also spelled asafetida) !! You will never eat enough garlic to reduce the gas (or buy those pills - im too cheap :) and this is a potent anti-gas herb. Fennel tea too (1c water, 1tsp fennel) helps too.

E: eat (non-acidic - melon, bananas, apples)fruit between meals and make it so its something that you will eat alot of (salads, tomato-saucy type things(gazpacho) you need water (KEY) WITH potassium etc to flush you system and help your digest - plain water just bombs your kidneys (unless you hold a mouthful for 20 mins at a time).

F: a pinch of magnesium (pills or if your cheap (like me ) epsom salt in your water when you drink (soup too) this is a mild muscle relaxer(for those of the muscle-tear related) this. This helps you stomach work more efficiently (remember its smooth muscle and shouldnt move TOO much when you digest) and helps digest.    

G: go easy on the salt, grease and red-meat meals and eliminate sodas(dehydration). I think much of the problem relates on dehydration+overloading. the occasional meat is ok (if your recovering from surgery or injury or if your digestion is impaired) and you need bad cholesterol to help eliminate toxins from urban environments.

Thats alotta '2 cents' but my math kinda ***** anyways : ) I wish you all the best and feel really bad for the women how had surgery and then it didnt improve ! Thats gotta suck ! Im vigerously anti-surgery so Ive stuck it out but the last 3 yrs have been the pits. Its crippling but manageble now. Im gonna try what one lady said too about a heated pad. I remember trying that once by accident back when I was 20-ish and I seem to remember it worked.

take good care ladies n gents
so i found out it wasn't a yeast infection but bacterial vaginosis. so i'm getting treated for that, and i haven't gotten the shooting pain in a while until today, and i'm two days into the antibiotic. i'll let you guys know if i still have the pain after i'm done the antibiotic.
I'm eighteen and have never had any kids.. But I've had this pain too ever since I began my period. It always happens during my menstrual cycle, a couple times for about a minute or less(Sometimes longer). It's unbearable! I have to grab onto something to brace myself on and tense up my body while hunching over slightly. If I'm sitting down(ex. slouching down on the couch) my body literally jolts upwards and if I'm in the bathroom, Oh my god! It hurts so bad and is very embarrassing when a friend notices then asks what's wrong while I'm almost in tears from the pain. I think it's just really, really intense(and odd) cramps.

This forum really made me feel better as well.
Even though most of you are women who have had kids already.
I'm certain it is the same pain.

Is it really worse than child birth, though? If so, I might reconsider not having kids.
I am 14 and this Is scary cause this has been happening to me too. I have heard about gall stones and they are really bad.    Help!!
I hate to say I am happy to read these, but I am. I have been dealing with this for 10 years. I am only 25, so it just seems crazy. Kudos for the person who said they experience the pain after orgasms, if I hadn't read that, I probably never would have admitted that it  happens to me also. I think the real question is, what do we do? Do we live like this? It is happening to so many of us and you are telling us that no one has any idea what this is. Or it could be one of many things. Why don't you talk about this, DR. OZ?! I feel hopeless. It was just going to be another trip to the E.R. until I found this site. I was literally going to have my husband take me there today. Someone please reply to this. I don't want this pain to be my life. I can't let it. I think the worst part is people looking at you like you just complain a lot when you are really in a horrific amount of pain. Anyway, think I will go having shooting pains through my *** now.
Ladies, I feel your pain - literally - as I am writing this post. I am not the type to participate in forum discussions but I was surprisingly relieved to find out I am not alone. I would not wish this pain on no body.

My pains began around 7 years ago and I am 28 now. First time it happened was during sex ("doggy style") - I was ready to climb on the walls and my boyfriend got very scared too. The pain came gradually and intensified quickly spreading from my stomach, to my vagina, to my rectum. On the way home I couldn't sit on my *** in the cab - I had to lean on one side to avoid pressure on my butt.

The pain is usually very sudden, it comes out of nowhere. I have it a couple of times a year, I would say 4-5 times. However, in the past week it happened twice. And now it does not necessarily happen strictly during sex.

Only once that I experienced this pain so severe that I vomited.
Now, whenever I experience it I try to relax as much as I can, which is practically impossible because of the severity of the cramp/spasm/pain. I lay down on my side and bend my knees to my chest.

Hang in there girls!

I have been experiencing this same pain.
I went to emerg one night keeled over in terrible pain. I was nauseaus and in tears......doctor told me it was gas. I was so embarassed and laughed afterwards, but I was also relieved that was all it was.
I am experiencing the pain at the moment.
Solution: Take muscle relaxants or gas relief pills. I just stay at home when this happens and let it pass.
I have pain in my anus.  It hurts to go to the bathroom.  I have had all kind of test...everything comes back normal.  I can not sleep from the gas in my stomach.  The doctors do not help.  This pain is effecting my quality of life.
Sounds like Hernia
Hmmm, so we all have the same symptoms. Pain in our lower abdomen, hurts to sit down, hurts to walk, it is so intense that it feels like being  ripped apart. How many of you have other symptoms like severe gas, bloating with an extended stomach and acne? I am just wondering if we all have the same additional symptoms. I have been diagnosed with fibroids and ovarian cysts too. The doctors treated it like "No big deal". Any of you ever had a cyst come forth in your vaginal area? Ever find cysts in the lower are of your legs on the inside where the crease is? Just curious if we can build a case and then see if we can find a group of doctors to do research.
Hmmm so we all have the same symptoms. Pain in our lower abdomen, hurts to sit down, hurts to walk, it is so intense that it feels like being  ripped apart. How many of you have other symptoms like severe gas, bloating with an extended stomach and acne? I am just wondering if we all have additional symptoms. I have been diagnosed with fibroids and ovarian cysts too. The doctors treated it like "No big deal". Any of you ever had a cyst come forth in your vaginal area? Ever find cysts in the lower are of your legs on the inside where the crease is? Just curious if we can build a case and then see if we can find a group of doctors to do research.
Just an FYI, I started contacting different OB/GYN research centers with our common symptoms. If we can get as many people as possible to do the same, maybe we can get some interest in this issue, since our health care professionals don't seem to have an answer! Here are some of the doctors at research centers that I contacted. Please send them an email requesting this issue of ours to be researched! Let's be our own advocates.

Dr. Frank Z. Stanczyk
Professor of Research, Keck School of Medicine, USC
***@****

Ernst Lengyel, MD, PhD
University of Chicago
***@****

Richard S. Legro, M.D.
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology Penn State Hershey OB/GYN
***@****

I hope these doctors don't mind me posting this information. It was posted on their respective organizations' web sites in their public domains.
Let me try that again removing the @ and . symbol, For those who aren't email familiar please remove the spaces and add the @ and . back in when emailing them.

Dr. Legro
rsl1 (at) psu (dot) edu

Dr. Lengyel
elengyel (at) uchicago (dot) edu

Dr. Stanczyk
stanczyk (at) usc (dot) edu
The symptoms of Pudendal Neuralgia include:

Pain in one or more of the areas innervated by the pudendal nerve or its branches. These areas include the rectum, anus, urethra, perineum, and genital area. In women this includes the clitoris, mons pubis, vulva, lower 1/3 of the vagina, and labia. In men this includes the penis and scrotum. But often pain is referred to nearby areas in the pelvis. The symptoms can start suddenly or develop slowly over time. Typically pain gets worse as the day progresses and is worse with sitting.  The pain can be on one or both sides and in any of the areas innervated by the pudendal nerve, depending on which nerve fibers and which nerve branches are affected. The skin in these areas may be hypersensitive to touch or pressure (hyperesthesia or allodynia).

Possible symptoms include burning, numbness, increased sensitivity, electric shock or stabbing pain, knife-like or aching pain, feeling of a lump or foreign body in the vagina or rectum, twisting or pinching, abnormal temperature sensations, constipation, pain and straining with bowel movements, straining or burning when urinating, painful intercourse, and sexual dysfunction – including uncomfortable arousal or the opposite problem, decreased sensation.

Further information regarding PN, its causes, treatments, and those who may be able to help you, ie  physical therapists and doctors, can be found at the website: pudendal.info.  Nb. there is no "dot org" at the end of this address.

Hope this helps you!
For almost a month now I have been gettin constant sharp pains in my lower stomach and the pain goes all the way into my vagina? It also hurt sometimes during intercourse? The pains are almost unbarable, it drops me to my knees sometimes, I have had this on and off for a yr now but this is the worst its ever been! I have no clue y this is happening? Any advice can help thank you!
My mom has MS and recently started experiencing this electric shock shooting stabbing pain in her anus that comes and goes thru out the day. She is worried it might be anal cancer or it could just be from the MS I told her. She is too scared to go to the doctor though.
I have the pain too! im 15 and had this for 3 years now.. but I am noticing its getting more severe....I also am getting abdominal cramps, like wind and bloating.. I don't know what is happening to me. I am writing down in my calender, when I get the pain, then when I go to the doctor, I will give her my calender. :D smart? good luck everyone
I've also been diagnosed with ovarian cysts, and as I explained a few months ago, have been experiencing the same pain.  When the pain occurs, it also feels as if I have gas...my stomach gets bloated, and I have to pass gas or use the restroom.  I've noticed that I have a harder time with these pains when I have had a higher stress level that month.  I am a full-time graduate student, so I experience a lot of stress on a regular basis.  I usually feel better when i exercise and move around...I force myself to walk around a bit after the pain subsides a little bit...a hot shower has been helping me too, to relax my muscles.  I've noticed, the more you tighten up, (although that is our instinct when the pain hits) the worse the pain will be opposed to if you force yourself to relax.  I try to overpower the pain with relaxation, if this makes sense.  I'm also going to my GYN next week.  FYI this pain only occurs when I am on my period and when I am about to start my period...PLUS, I am on the pill, which seems to have made matters worse...
I've had stabbing, bone-breaking pains in my "butt" for quite a while now. It is only during my period. I've actually asked my closest girlfriends if they knew the feeling and a few of them had similar situations. This morning (2nd day of my period) I had the worst shocking pain while using the restroom and actually passed out from it. Luckily, my husband was near by and was able to help me up. I'm thinking about using gas-x or something while on my period to try to reduce the symptoms.. has anyone tried it? I'm not on birth control and haven't been for 5 years..I've had 2 kids and I'm pretty healthy... I'm wondering if this anything to do with using tampons? Any common factors?
I thought I would comment on this too. I have been experiencing the same pain while I have my period. I was on bc for 14 years, no breaks ever. When I was 29 my husband got a vasectomy so I could go off of the pill. The first year and a half after going off bc was normal, my periods were a few days longer but mostly consistant. Then after that it all went crazy. I started having longer peroids, heavy flow, lots of clots. Went to my gyno, happend to be a man, told him all this, said it was 'normal' and 'Lots of women have pain' and he ordered blood tests. I had low vitamin D. So I started taking 2000iu a day. I did help me not be as tired, but my periods got worse and worse. Then about 8 months ago I started having horrible stabbing pains if I had to go #2 when I had my peroid, hurts so bad it takes my breath away, feels like a hot knife being shoved up there. And it basically feels like everything below my belly button is all smooshed together in there. Its different then just cramps.  Then I started having pain using tampons or having sex. Then I got this dull cramp like charlie horse in my lower back. Just kept getting worse. I decided to go see a femal doc, thinking she might know more about it all. So 2 weeks ago I went for an exam, the exam hurt, that was a first. She ordered an internal and external ultrasound. The internal one hurt in the same area. Got the results today,  four fibroids about golf ball size, 2 inside, 1 outside, and one in the muscle tissue. Gave me 3 options, go on bc again, no friggin way, try ablation that may or may not work or have a hyst. Thinking I will just get it over with and have the hyst. I can't be miserable 40 weeks a year!!!  Just lucky I already decided long ago not to have kids and don't have to worry about that part.
I experince the same pains and I'm only 14..
It's unberable at times!
I just woke up from a nap with sharp pain between my vagina and anus area.  I had to get up, it last about 10 min.  I get this pain 4~5 times a year usually when I'm sleeping. I'm sort of relieved to find this website since I'm not only one to experience this strange pain.  The pain is almost like monthly stomach cramp, diarrhea, gas and bloating.  I'm 52 and it has been 7 months since I had my last period.  I just wonder my uterus is shrinking.  I hope it's nothing serious like cancer.
WOW it is nice not to be alone!!! I have had my period since I was 10 and I have had these sharp shooting, breath taking, pains ever since and I am now 47.  I am the youngest of 4 girls and none of my sisters experience this pain.  I do not suffer from it for hours, I just get 3 to 4 agonizingly sharp pains which feel like they start in my anus and travel up my spine to my head.  It usually occurs 3 to 4 days after my period can be spread out for 2 of three days.  I have had to pull my car over becuase they make me close my eyes and stop breathing.  Though I have not found an answer here to how to stop them it helps knowing we are not dying from it and it is 'normal' so much in that it happens to more than just me!!! I have been diagnosed with IBS as well and have proven I do not have that and I also suffer from horrible menstral cramping on the first day.  But other than now knowing I am not alone there does not seem to be much to do about it as I have changed my diet many time to see what happens and nothing stops them.  
Wow, I thought I was alone! I've had these pains in my butt for 7 years now. As soon as I get my period I start to feel a sharp pain in my butt like its being ripped apart by something. I usually have to stop everything I'm doing, close my eyes and take quick, short breaths to recover. If I dont breath I pass out. At first I thought it was because of the pill but now I've been off the pill for about 4 years and still the same. I have seen however, that it helps not to use tampons. Painkillers like ibuprofen also help to make the pain less severe. I've seen a few gynaes and to this day none of them can tell me what it is.
I really cannot believe my eyes.... I am crying right now because everything that is being described by all of you is SSSOOO true and it really hit home that there are so many other women out there suffering with the same pain. My doctor believes that in my case it is endometriosis. I am only 26 and would like to start my family soon and I am soo afraid that I will not be able to get pregnant. I have had my period since the age of 14 and I have been on the pill since the age of 17 and I had never really had any problems until 2 years ago I decided to stop taking the pill. About 1 year and half in I started getting more and more cramps and heavier periods. Then in January 2010 I had my first REALLY painful experience that you have all described very well. The pain that makes you grab onto something for dear life until you can breath again. I was wondering if there is anybody out that that has this and got pregnant because alot of the stories are of people who don`t want children or already had their children before the pain started. I am so thankful for this site because it makes you realize that it is not all in your head and other people are living through the same thing. Thanks everyone
Viewing 201-400 comments: