Shooting pain through vagina and anus
I have sharp shooting pains through my vagina and anal area.  They only last a few seconds.  The build and peak like labor pains.  Say I'm in the kitchen and I'll feel it coming on so I have time to brace myself.  I'll set down whatever it is i'm holding and get ready.  I have to cross my legs, bend my knees, hold on to something, clench my body tight, and try to breathe.  Thank God it only lasts a few seconds.  My 14 yr. old son witnessed it yesterday and tried to call 911.  I kept signaling him not to.  I knew it wouldn't last long.  My gyno. didn't understand me when I tried to explain it to her.  What is going on?  Has anyone else experienced this kind of unbearable pain?  If the pain lasted even a min. I feel like I would just pass out and die from the pain. Honestly, it's worst than labor pains.  I never know when it's going to occur.  And when it does happend, I have to be standing to get through it, I can't be sitting.  I've also noticed that after the pain passes I'm out of breath and dizzy.  What is going on?  What should I be tested for?  Also, I've had a stabbing pain on my right side of my stomach under my rig cage.  It seems to move around the area.  Cannot take a deep breath in or yawn without tremendous pain.  Does anyone have an idea about what that could be?  Thankyou ahead of time to those who respond to my questions.
Hi i'm 46 and have had very excruitiating pain  in cervix area for about 4 to 5 years. Have been to doctor and had smears, scans blood test everything was fine,
did though find out that i need to be doing pelvic floor exercises and are happy to say havent had any pain for 6 months now since doing exercises every day. hope this helps

I am having the same pains pressure in my lower stomach very strong pressure, and it hurts inside when I pee or have a bowel movement it kind of feels like everything is falling out of my lower regions when I have to use the restroom I have been to the dr had an ultrasound and mri and seen a gi dr all came up with ibs, well just a couple days ago I had pains so bad in my anus and my vagina that I couldn't sit down the intense pain lasted about an hour but the pressure and the going to the restroom pressure is still there and I am now on day 4 of these pains my dr said go have another ultrasound she thinks it's cysts but I don't understand why my rectum hurts so bad, and it kind of feel like I have no muscle to push out the pee or bowel, I have been taking my meds for ibs and nothing is touching the pain the worst part is the pressure and the pains in my anus they are pretty intense when I have to go, which is about 6 times a day for me and it's never solid so I am at a loss of what to think or do can anyone help
First of all, I am so glad I am not the only one experiencing these pains. What you have described above is exactly the pain I get. My GP has mentioned Proctagia Fugus to me. A few years ago I had several bowel surgeries to remove Ulcerative Colitis and I now have an ileo-pouch but I am experiencing severe pain in the back passage and I find it extremely painful and upsetting and I'm at my wits end as my Gastro consultant can't seem to find a reason
I find sitting down makes it all the more painful
It is either Levator Syndrome or an Anal Fissure.  I have had both, got 2 fissurectomys, and am on meds for Levator Syndrome.  I promise!!  Look into it!  I had a little endometriosis found through laproscopy and that wasn't it!
ok this is crazy because i have had my period since i was nine yrs old...now 26. had bad cramps the whole time until i was about 20. but i always had these pains where it seriously felt like i was being stabbed in my butt when i had a bowel movement and ONLY during my period. I too have went to my doctor and everyone said ohhhhh its just normal during ur period to have inflamed bowels and bla bla ba....no real answers. my mom had endometriosis and had a hysterectomy. im sure i have it because of the painful cramps i used to get but i also thought whhatever thes pains we are all experiencing....if it is endometriosis..i have done some reasearch where they say if u have this disease....the tissue detatches and spreads elsewhere in ur abdomen....so if the tissue spreads to ur bowel wall...it will flare up during ur period just like ur uterus would while menstruating....to me this makes sense as i also have bladder pain during my period too after i go pee. I dont know what the answer is but im glad i am not the only one having these pains...i can remember i would be walking in the mall and these pains would come out of nowhere and i would stop right in my tracks....almost paralyzed and feeling like i wanted to faint...terrible the things us women have to go through!!!! hope this helps.
I have the same lower pressure and anal pain specially when I move or sit and it's so bad I can't talk or even walk normal..it lasts intensely for an hour or 2 then slowly less intense but the pressure and anal pain is there specially when I sit.  This first happened after sex once and now comes and goes even in the middle of the day for no reason.

Can someone tell me if they take pain medicine cause advil xtra strength barely works.
THANKS.
I get this terrible terrible shooting pain up threw my lower back almost every time I have sex, when i am on my period and try to sit down with a tampon in, also sometimes when I use the restroom.
I have called my gyno on numerous occasions because of the pains that I get. and the only thing she ever says to me is that it's a nerve. ive done so much research and cannot figure how it can always be related to just a nerve.

the pain is so horrible that i dread sitting down, having sex, or going to the restroom.

any ideas as to what I should do?
Okay I've had these same issues for a couple of months now. I thought everyone would think I was crazy if I said I had this horribly intense pain in my anal area during my period (especially during bowel movements), but obviously I'm not alone. It stops after about the first 3 days of my cycle though. My periods are regular and I'm very healthy, but I'm only 19 and it scares me when I read about all of the comments people leave about it being linked to endometriosis. Is there anything else that can cause these horrible shooting pains?
My situation is a little different, but I do not know if it is the same diagnois.  About a week before my period starts, I will be using the restroom and I will start getting this shooting pain in my anus.  It is this pressure that makes it feel like I have to go to the bathroom.  I also get a pain in the bladder region, which makes it hurt to urinate.  I become very gassy, but it is hard for anything to come out because my anus feels so tight.  The pain can last anywhere from 2 hours to 4 days.  It has never happened when I am on my period.  Any thoughts?

20/f Never had sex.
Hello I'm 53 years old when I was in my 20s I started haven problems with pain every time I have my period, I had this pain for few years no one was able to diagnose what the problem was.
Finally, one doctor was able to diagnose that was endometriosis he told me I need it to stop my period for two years and the endometriosis was going to go away.
I did that and the pain went away forever he told me that the endometriosis was so severe I was not going to be able to have any children, I have today two beautiful teens.
Ladies I recommend to all of you to stop your period for two years and all your problems relating to endometriosis will go away.
The way you do it is taking the birth control pill none stop, don't take the color pills ore the ones you take for a week so you can have your period, don't take does continue taking the white pills.

Ladies please ask to get checked for ovarian cysts. For two months just a few days before my period i experienced sharp stabbing pains on my left side during sex. Afterwards i experienced severe pain in my vagina and anus i too thought i was constipated so took pain relief. I also experienced severe bloating in my abdomen my  doctor at the time said it was IBS. I looked six months pregnant. I have just had ultrasound and have a 3cm cyst on left ovary and right ovary is polycystic. The doctor explained the severe pain and bloating i experienced was due to a burst cyst.
I am really worried. It's especially worrying because I am only 16. I have researched Endometrosis, and I seem to have some of the symptoms. I don't want to have surgery, but the pain is the most horrible physical feeling  I've experienced. I am really worried that I'm infertile, as I wan't to have children later on in my life.

I haven't told anyone about because, until now, I thought it was normal and was just something that happens during period. But not so long ago, a couple of weeks ago to be concise, I experienced some pains in my left pelvis, again, I concluded it was normal.

I am too scared to tell my GP, because the last thing I want to hear is that I need surgery, and later on, that I am infertile. :'(
ld0
getting pains all day every day, stomach and vaginal wall, left side worse, frequent urination, discharge.realy worried, had ultrasound and docs say nothn rong with me but im not getn these sharp pains for no reason..
So glad to come upon this site as i thought i was on my own.  I aways had problems with my stomach and my GP put it down to IBS.  I have now 2 children, the youngest being 10 months and since i had her i have had these pains in my bum and vigina.  Had scans and doc put it down to  endometriosis. The pain is getting worse each month and this is really getting me down.
Yes, this exactly describes my symptoms. Sharp, shooting pains in pelvic and rectal area on day 2-3 (sometimes both) of my period. When it is not the sharp pain, it is just a pain that hurts for me to walk around or even sit, and is definitely intensified when I have a bowel movement. The rest of the month, I have NO pain at all. However, I am having 10 day periods with spotting 5-7 days before my period, so that is a major pain in the neck. I'm 33, 4 kids, and I've never experienced this until after I had my 3rd child. I sure wish someone could get an answer. From this thread it doesn't really look like there is anything we can do? :(
Just got back from most painful driving lesson ever..had to hide my discomfort from instructor.
Thought i was being a woss and this is how period were ment to be after kids and a coloscapy.I had CIN 3-4 cells removed from my cervix in may and since that my periods have been awful.I can just about sit down and when i do i have to sit down very slowy and even then it still hurts.
When i go to the toilet and wipe my self after its so painful and tender.
I does actually take my beathe away and is worse than childbirth(honestly)... it only lasts for couple of seconds but the stabbing pain shoots through my vangina into my anus and the pressure is unbearable.I actually dread going to the toilet. Whatmihis link to?? going foctors tomorrow cause this is ridiculous,feels like my womb is going to fall out.
help!!
this is by-far the most helpful forum i have ever came across.  thank you all for sharing about your issues.  I am 25 years old and have been having this same type of pain for as long as i can remember.  I have to agree, when i was younger the pain was less intense and lasted for very short periods of time.  Now it seems like they are longer.  I feel them coming and that can last hours sometimes then BAM the sharp agonizing pain.  I experienced it while having sex the other day.  It was the most uncomfortable, and painful experience i have ever been though.  I do think that it has something to do with gas because now I've found that if i force myself to pass gas after the pain subsides it feels less painful.
hi , i hav exactly same problem , recently i have found tht taking something called health salts seems to work quite well and quite quickly aswell x
I am nearly forty with three children and have been getting shooting pains up my anus regularly, sometimes so bad that it is feels like I'm going through labour again.  But I recognise the pain as a similar one I had after birth when my womb was so slack that interferred with my bowels. Since then I have been doing PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES like a crazy beast. After about 10 days I noticed that the pain had stopped. They returned a few days ago and I realised that I had stopped doing the exercises again. I now have a regular routing that I do them whilst I'm brushing my teeth and every time I boil a kettle. Odd but it works.

Please try ladies..... I cannot tell you the difference it has made to me.
I am 24 and have recently gotten off the pill, because my husband and I have thought about having a baby. I was on the pill for about 7 yrs and up until getting off of it, I hadn't really experienced this anal pain/stomach bloating. I had 1 period after which was fine, but when I got to the 2nd period, which was about a month ago, I started to experience the stabbing. My stomach also felt very bloated (more than normal)... It was awful pain that lasted a few hours and then went away after the first day. Now I am on my third period since getting off and I was up all night with the pain. I decided to google the symptoms and found this forum. I have been standing for about 20 mins and it seems like the pain has gotten a little better, but I am sure as soon as I sit it will come back. It is just the worst pain ever! I find it odd that after all these years on the pill, I am just not experiencing the pain. It only comes at the first of my period. I had a yearly exam done before I got off the pill, but it looks like I might need an ultrasound to further investigate? Im scared about the endemetriosis! Thank you all for your posts. I hope we can all figure out something to do to help the pain. I think I will try the floor exercises as well!
I'm so glad to have found this forum. I was on pills for about 7-8 years, on and off 2-3 months every year, and completely stopped over a year ago. Since then my period became irregular. I got my period last Sunday and the gate of hell opened.. I felt really bad cramps in my vagina and bladder especially on day 2 & 3, it was agonizing to urinate. Just like one of the posters said, it felt everything inside was spilling out or something.

This is the first for me. In the past, even when I was on pills, sometimes I felt a bit of cramps on my lower back or rectum, very active bowel movement (but difficult on normal days) and bloating. But nothing like this! Sometimes sex is also painful and sore (not sure if it's relevant??)

I was browsing for more info and I basically ticked all the symptoms of endometriosis checklist! I thought I had IBS, but probably it's something else?

It feels less painful to pee when my bladder is full, i.e. in the morning. The pain is less now as my period is almost over. Hopefully, I'll be clean by tomorrow so that I can go and see the Obgyn. I don't usually look forward to seeing her, but now I can't wait. Not that I'm happy if the doc diagnoses me with endometriosis, but at least it would probably explain why I always had problems with my digestion and lower area.
Like you, this pain comes a week or so before my menstral, however, not every time. This crazy pain may come once or twice a year. At this very moment, it has calmed down. Maybe because of the 3 extra strength tylenol (1500 mg) I took about an hour ago. The pain started feeling like mild cramps. Next it felt like bad cramps. Later, the pain started shooting thru my vagina and anal area. I tried walking...but I felt as if I needed to walk lightly...because it felt as if I stepped to hard, something would fall out. Then the pain would go away for about 20 minutes....but start up again. After a few hours of this, it would stop completely and wouldn't come back for at least 6-8 mos....sometimes longer.

I'm 37 yrs old...and this has been going on (off/on) for about 10 years. I've never seen a doctor about this (yes...I know I should have) but once the pain is gone for months at a time....I just let by gones be by gones.
Very good point about gas. I forgot about that. I've experienced trapped gas before and it somewhat feels like that too. It has also happended during sex about 6 yrs ago (twice within the same summer)...and once again about 2 yrs ago. I can't understand why during sex at times, a week or just whenever.

It's hard being a woman when these things happen. I guess that's why we have our own doctors dedicate to the woman parts of the body. Our bodies are so complex.
I have the same symptoms. Cramps that feel typical but a couple of times a year I experience stabbing pain that feels as though it's from the outside of the vagina to two inches inward. Feels like I can't suck my stomach in at all. All simultaneously as abdominal cramps. Then the sharp pain will come & go. Never had a pregnancy before... Just had internal & external ultrasound one week ago at the start of spotting for this period. They found cysts on the ovaries & suggested diet & possibly a med typically prescribed for diabetics that tends to help regulate hormones. Sister just got some test results back that reflected hormonal dysfunction too. When these cramps happen I always think, "Oh my god, bladder infection?...Kidney stones?... But then I think why would that create vaginal pains that come & go & happen always at the time I'm menstruating?" I am curious about what someone above said about the cysts draining on rupturing... Any other thoughts?
I feel the pain in my butt and vagina all day long but mine also seem to be making my skin all the way down my legs sore and two of my toes have been very painfull the same time. like something is pushing a nerve. only during my peorid.
I am 55 and have had sharp almost electrical shocking pains in my anal area for at least 20 yrs.  It was always the week after my period ended and lasted 3-4 days.  I've been to 7 doctors but haven't had any luck getting a diagnosis.  At 50 I stopped my periods and the pains completely.  It was wonderful.  Then suddenly they came back, more intense and on a daily basis in the anal and vaginal area.  I had a colonoscopy and was told that I had spastic levator syndrome so I found a pelvic floor therapist.  I've done some at home exercises and biofeedback but am still in a lot of pain.  HELP!
FINALLY!!! People who are getting the same pains as me! For past few periods I have been getting severe lower abdominal pain, vaginal pain and stabbing pains from where I pee (but not when I pee) So severe that I can't go to work, can barely stand up straight, feel sick and faint with it. No sleep. Have had these pains again this time for 48 hours straight now, painkillers only relieve the abdominal pain, but not the other pains. Have had pelvic exams, normal, smear, normal, STD tests, all clear. Doctors haven't got a clue. Will probably lose my job soon due to having 2-3 days off each month! Docs seem to have given up and won't do anything.
Also this has all started since coming off the pill last year, periods have been irregular and getting more painfull each time. Periods were normal before taking the pill, and normal whilst on it.
im having VERY BAD PAINS and alot of pressure on my vagina and butt it hurts so bad i cant think or do anything im 23 and have 2 kids one 5 and the other 3 can neone help me figure out what is going on i had 2 have a c section when i had them so im wondering if it has someting 2 do with that? i dont know someone please help me figure it out. thanks
I have Levator ani syndrome and this is the summary which you all may be looking for:
The pain of levator ani syndrome is a constant or frequently occurring dull pain that is felt higher up inside the rectal passage. The sensation is made worse by sitting and improves with walking or standing. The pain usually lasts approximately 20 minutes and tends to reoccur at regular intervals.

Another condition with shorter episodes is:
The pain of proctalgia fugax is sudden and intense, usually lasting less than a minute. But in rare cases, the spasm can continue for an hour. The pain is described as a sharp, stabbing, or cramp-like occurring at the anal opening. The pain can awaken the person from a sound sleep. The attacks occur in clusters, appearing daily for a while then disappearing for weeks or months.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Hi everyone, I'm 18 and i have been on the depo, birth control shot for two years
and since i got on the depo shot I have also been having sharp pains in my rectum
and vagina as it feels like its on the wall of between both of these areas, i dont get a period
because of the depo. This pain happens about twice or more a month and happens during
a bowel movement or just randomly and when it does happen standing, walking or even sitting is unbearable.
I'm healthy as a horse so for me to have such pains scares me
my Dr said it was nothing maybe just the depo but my body is used to the depo so now I'm clueless on whats wrong with me. Any help, any at all would be gladly appreciated.
I have had similar pain (anal pain after bowel movements, vaginal pain during menstruation, pain when sitting on soft surfaces, etc) since the vaginal birth of my child 4 years ago. I have been told that it could be the coccyx (tailbone) or myofacial (levator-ani syndrome).  

I have tried external pelvic floor manipulation/physical therapy with minimal results.  The next step was internal manipulation, but I did not want to do something so invasive.  I was also having difficulty finding someone with an appropriate amount of experience.  

I am trying  "active release techniques" now and it is helping.  I was 50% better after the first visit. I was nearly healed after the fourth visit and made the mistake of jet skiing.  I am now on visit six.

If you try this, the person should be licensed and you should know in the three visits if it works.  

Wow I am only 25 no kids I have the same exact pain, today by far the worst alomst to the point it took my breath away.. Its happened before but mostly when I am menstrating! I still have no clue what it is and want to find out more.
since my recent smear test 3 months ago i have expearanced anal and vaginal pain more in the anal and unable to pass stools very constapated difficulty in sitting down even lying down at times I also  get dragging sensations front and back  Have seen Gp and gynocologist Does anyone have any of these problems or answers
I'm 50 and have been menopausal for almost 15 years. When I was in my late 20s and early 30s I had a few episodes of sharp pain directly up my vagina so shockingly intense it was terrifying.  I went to a dr for an internal exam during one of these episodes and when he touched my cervix, I shot so far up the gynie table I bumped my head on the wall.  
The pain seems to be focused there, but does radiate through my anus and makes my bladder feel very tender as well.  Over the last few years I have had a few episodes a year and have come to think the following might be contributors:
- when I've been in the car sitting for 4+ hours
- gas related: passing gas seems to be common, but doesn't have the more familiar gassy painful abdominal sensation. Have found that taking a Gas-X strip seems to relieve the symptoms by about 50%
- may be related to constipation, or it may be that the pain is so intense that there is no muscle tone required to move bowels so constipation results? Though I never need to take them, I may try a laxative to see if there is any relief.
Strangely, I was just thinking that the pain I was experiencing was such that doing pelvic floor exercises would be too painful, and those very exercises are suggested as a preventative!  I will definitely give those more attention once this latest episode passes.  Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.  I was at my wit's end too.  Let me know if anything I've suggested works for you too.  
I've experience the same pains for about 20 years w/o any explanation or diagnosis. I'm 36 y/o now and do not have endo. either. I've even had bowel testing where you drink barium (shows blue in scan) and got a type of enema where you 'hold' the liquid while they take photos and still nothing! It's frustrating to say the least. I have noticed it usually occurs when I need to make a large BM or am constipated.
Wow!!! I can't believe how many women are suffering in silence from this very excruciating pain!!! I have experienced this pain just as JessicaMarie describes a couple pages back for the last 6 years...it was so bad one morning when I woke up that I was sitting on the toilet thinking I had to defaecate and the pain started(it happened to be the day before I started my period),I couldn't stand up straight so i slowly crouched over made my way to the sink to splash cold water on my face and the next thing I knew I wole up on my bathroom floor looking up at my skylight ..it was very scary, but I figured that I passed out from the pain THIS IS NOT GAS!!!!!  I've had a C-section and I know what bad gas pains feel like this is not it!!!

Anyway, I was also having intercourse one time when it happened and my husband rushed to the ER and the Dr's report said that I had ruptured a cyst???? my family practitioner disagreed and so did I as I must have ruptured ALOT of cysts....impossible, one person said it could be Proctalgia Fugax, it could be possible ladies that this is a combination of problems, as this condition does seem to make sense with the whole anal pain...it is described as a "anal charlie horse" which does make sense...

One thing for sure is that with all the medical advances we have they can't tell us what it is that causes such unbearable pain!! crazy...
Ive just be given a prognosis of Proctalgia Fugax this morning, which my Dr says is being brought on through stress, which would seem to fit with my lifestyle at present.  The thing with PF is you get it through the night and I dont have that problem.

I did think it was endometriosis though, it seemed to follow the pattern of my period, but this last bought has carried on a week after at least.  I get a stabbing pain right up my bum and it stops me from walking.  It also seems to affect down my leg, which made me wonder if its linked to my sciatic nerve.

Im due a gynae appt over the next month for a rectocele and cystocele prolapse.  Im crap at doing my pelvic floor exercises but after reading the post from Lissy I think I need to make more effort.  

Forums like this are really helpful, thank you all.
Hi I just found this forum and I too have this pain, just had it this morn.  usually happens in early morning 4am or so and lasts an hour sometimes longer.  I don't know how many times I wanted to call 911 but stuck it out every time.  It doesn't happen every month, but when it does its always around ovulation.  I haven't had kids and have the mirena to help with my suspected endometriosis.  
I am pain free most days but ovulation and of course menstral times suck.
I will get this checked with my obgyn soon as I get insurance:)
Well I've been having a lot of problems going on 6 months now.  I went to doctor after doctor and finally got a doctor to listen who gave me an MRI with and without contrast.  The results:  I have pelvic congestion syndrome or PCS.  (Scroll down for definition of it.)  My obgyn also thinks I have adenomyosis.  It didn't show up on MRI but from what I understand both PCS and adenomyosis both can be hard to diagonsis.  I'm thankful to finally have an answer.  I seem to be in pain the most around my period and when I ovulate but this month has been an all month thing.  UGH!!  I will tell you my symptoms not sure if they are all related to PCS but I was told a hysterectomy is really the only thing that can cure it for me.  

My symptoms:
horrible stabbing pains all over pelvic area and sometimes in upper abdomen.
painful bladder hurts to pee sometimes and I feel like I can't empty my bladder all the way.
shooting pains in vagina and anus.
Sometimes pain when having a bowel movement.
Pelvic pain that is dull, crappy, burning, constant....just plain hurts.
A few times I was in so much pain on my left side it was like this horrible pressure I couldn't do anything it was so bad.
Microscopic Blood in urine (large amounts)
feeling of chills all over body sometimes.
Just not feeling well...feel weak....very, very weak.  I almost so weak I can't talk.
I've had numbness in limbs.
arrhythmia
bad, bad hot flashes with sweats.
Oh and a few times I've had flank pain...(kidney pain).
I'm sure there is more I just can't think of everything right now.

Also, I would like to add PCS is still a new diagnosis so they don't know much about it but it is said that as much as 30% of women with pelvic pain have it.  GO get checked!!!!!!

Pelvic congestion-  Pelvic congestion syndrome is a cause of chronic pelvic pain related to the presence of varicose (abnormally dilated) veins surrounding the uterus and ovaries. All veins contain tiny one-way valves that ensure that blood travels toward the heart to become oxygenated. When these valves fail, blood can pool and the veins can stretch or bulge. In pelvic congestion syndrome, varicose veins can affect a woman's uterus, ovaries, and vulva and may cause dull, aching pelvic pain, and occasionally, vaginal discharge or abnormal menstrual bleeding.
or
http://www.miamivascular.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=23839
Hi I have experienced this also. It is like a sharp stabbing pain right up the centre of my vagina/rectum and is generally during that time of the month and when I need to go number 2. It usually makes me hold my breath and have to hold onto something for the few seconds that it lasts. It comes randomly and goes randomly and I don’t always get it. I do remember the very first time I experienced this tho. I was in grade 2 and just standing waiting for my mum to pick me up from school. I then did not experience this for quite some time, the next time it happened I would have been in my teens and having my periods. It’s quite strange. I have thought maybe I was sexually abused of have polycystic ovaries but only going to the doctor will tell I guess. I just hope it doesn’t affect me having babies as that’s all I want out of life.
Im in my early 30s, I have severe endometrosis, gave birth a few years back. This year, i have like 2 uti and went for checkup to see if there is any thing wrong with my kidney. Test is negative. However after  each menses between 8 and 10 days for the past 6months, i would get sudden sharp pain up from my vagina to the right side or cervix/ middle path. These would last like a few seconds. Otherwise i would have constant pressure on my left pelvic making me uncomfortable for the whole days lasting a few days after mense. Seems like my stomach or uterus is full with gases. Once i fart or have my bowel, it is better.  I think it is becoming a norm and concern if i have possible cancer of the cervix or ovarian etc.

I would like to research more before i make an appointment to see my gynae in 2 months' time. It seems like this is a common concern among ladies with menstrual issue.
I'm 16, and have had the same problem since last year when I was 15. My periods are irregular. It's like someones stabbing up your anus, lol. Also, sometimes I have this terrible terrible pain in my stomach before passing a stool that will end up being kind of like diarrhea. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but this is the type of pain that makes you double over. I don't mind this all that much, but I just don't want to find out I have a cyst somewhere or something.
well, im 19 and i have been having them same pains for about 3 years now. difference is, I have them all the time meaning my period has no affect to it. I can have the rectal pains sitting down, standing up, laying down, it doesnt matter... and it somtimes lasts for quite awhile. Its like a stabbing pain like in the middle of my anus or somtimes its like somthing is drilling its way up there! YEAH! and I have pain in the very top I suppose of my vagina and somtimes in the middle of it.. somtimes it starts in the middle and shoots all the way up. And for this aswell, my period isnt a factor in that either! I hurt at the lowest part of my stomach! These pains (both) can start up everyday or every other day.. now so they just find joy in killing me!! Maybe its where im overweight, or whatever.. but ive been overweight my whole life and i dont know why its starting now and I have actullay weighed more than i do now. I also have other issues regarding the rectal deal.. i may be crazy but i have thought cancer was the pin point!
WOW!!!!
I have been sitting and reading this input from all of you ladies and thinking that I wished I had read this yesterday. First I have had the heaviest periods of anyone I know. Major bleeding and sometimes the pain was unbearable. Thank God for ibuprofin, I seriously thought that
on a few occasions I would bleed to death. Used to pass big clots which I
know is not good. I went to my Gyn. they diagnosed me with fibroids. That was it they just sent me home?. I had really bad birthing complications with all three of my kids, finally had my tubes tied. Then
I got pre cancerous cells, they froze those. After that I was freaked that it would come back, so practically lived in my Gynos. office to make sure they didn't come back. I finally went into menopause just last year, but three years ago I started to experience the strangest feeling I'd ever felt. It started when my other half and I were being intimate. I started to orgasm and started feeling like an electric shock was going through the left side of my labia, It totally stopped my orgasm from happening. I was taken back to say the least. After that incident I began
to have lightning bolt sensations coming from my vagina and up to the top of my hip bones and in the middle. I was totally perplexed and I'm in the health care field?. The best way I could describe it was like when you lost a filling from your tooth, you were eating something and hit the nerve and it hurt like a *****. It only lasted for short intervals but it hurts and makes me jump. I put what was happening in the same category as maybe nerves, that went on for two years, all the while I'm still having
my yearly pap and mammogram. I never said anything to the Dr. because I go to a walk in clinic w/out insurance. You can barely get an
appointment the place is so full. Finally I read somewhere that if you have an urgency to pee, that is one of the symptoms of ovarian cancer. that gave me alot fear, cause it runs in my family, and my urgency to pee, I knew was not a UTI, cause I'd had one before. I'm on the job and I come down with a horrible cold. I coughed so hard that my left ovary started to pain me. I'm thinking wow this isn't good. As soon as I left work I went to the E.R. The E.R. Dr. asked what I was there for and I told him I had begun to have lower female cramping and that my ovary hurt. He gave me some **** and bull story that my cold was acute and that he felt it would be wrong to check my ovaries out in the E.R.?
I'm thinking whatttttt? So I took the treatment for my cold and left. I was pissed. I wanted to get to the bottom of all of this, I followed up at my Dr's. office, I waited for almost three hours and said **** this. Then when I called to reschedule, they wouldn't see me because I left. Finally
last night I got the guts to look up my symptoms. All this while I've been
thinking it could be some kind of female cancer, I could tell I was really stressing over it. Every symptom I was having said that it very well could be cancer and with my history, I was't doubting it. This A.M. I finally returned to the E.R. at a different Hospital. This Dr. that saw me took my blood,urine, and gave me a an MRI or CAT scan I get them mixed up?. He also took the time to communicate with me about how I was feeling. I think he sensed I was a little shaky about the whole thing.
I was expecting the worst. He came back in after a couple of hours and
said everything looked very good. I have had a huge weight lifted from me today. He told me that he wanted me to follow up with a new DR. and pointed me to a new clinic through his hospital for people with no insurance. He also told me he thought the electric shooting pains were
nerves attached to the sciatic nerve which I have had ongoing problems
with since my first baby. I just want to say that the Sciatic nerve runs through the whole body. It comes out of a hole in your spine near your tailbone. Some people, such as myself have a place that the nerve catches on, making some people vunerable to sciatic nerve problems.When I was carrying my first child, I was in the middle of a fabric store and had such an excruciating pain, I couldn't move or talk and thought I was going to pass out, a lady wanted to call the paramedics.Finally after 4or 5 minutes it passed. I left and drove home. I called my Dr. when returning home and she told me it was because my baby was sitting on my sciatic nerve. She told me to lay down with the heating pad and it worked. I got it several times after that also. Heres to good health!

.
well I know exactly what you are talking about, when I was in 5th grade was the first time it happened to me, I was in the middle of lunch and had to stand up out of my seat and get the pressure off my vagina. It only last 5 seconds at most. It's done it ever since then and I have been checked for cyst but I have yet to find any (but they told me not to get my hopes up because cyst rupture and go away). They mentioned it might be gas causing the pains also. But like you said it feels like something as if a knife is being stabbed up you. I've learned to just take pressure off the area. Stand up. Take small breathes.
most the times when the pains come alone they last for 5 minutes or less. It makes me unaware of what I was doing, I get dizzy and forget what I was talking or thinking about because it is so sudden and takes my breathe away.
I had a blood test done a few months ago just to test the usual things like Throyd and kidney function and that and it came back normal... i used to be overweight when i was younger and recently realised that i was drinking alot of milk which was affection the condition of my skin. I get headaces from lollies and used to feel very tired every day at work because of the stress. i consider myself a healthy person although i could bring a little exercise into my life. I also experience what i consider to be alot of gas for a woman. i do drink alot of water and only water. and i try not to eat takeaway foods as there is also alot of sugar in them.
In relation to an earlier post by Milsey:

I have recently realised i might have a food alergy to milk which was a large part of my diet up until recently.

I just hope i dont have this (cause i want kids)

Endometriosis (from endo, "inside", and metra, "womb") is a gynecological medical condition in women in which endometrial-like cells appear and flourish in areas outside the uterine cavity, most commonly on the ovaries. The uterine cavity is lined by endometrial cells, which are under the influence of female hormones. These endometrial-like cells in areas outside the uterus (endometriosis) are influenced by hormonal changes and respond in a way that is similar to the cells found inside the uterus. Symptoms often worsen with the menstrual cycle.

Endometriosis is typically seen during the reproductive years; it has been estimated that endometriosis occurs in roughly 5-10% of women.[1] Symptoms may depend on the site of active endometriosis. Its main but not universal symptom is pelvic pain in various manifestations. Endometriosis is a common finding in women with infertility.[2]

OMG!!!! I normally don't do this but I just had to comment. I have started to have similiar pains with in the last three to four months with no clue about what may be causing it. I have the worst anal pain that last about 2 or 3 minutes, the first time it happened I thought I was dying (literally). I thought it could have been from using tampons but quickly realized it wasn't when I stopped using them and still experienced the same pains.
Wow, when I found this I was shocked. Its been months since the pains have started and I am totally freaked. I have went to endless doctors appointments, colonoscopy, MRI, CT, KBT, urologist...endless. An I think the doctors think Im crazy. I have shooting pains that feel like someone is inserting a knife in my vagina and in my anus..and sometimes It feels so bad I feel like I am going to pass out. Just recently they have found large amounts of blood in my urine and my urologist told me that may be normal..SERIOUSLY...I really do think its endometriosis because it runs in my family..but seems like the longer this goes on the more of my organs its affecting..Right now its my bladder..but first it was my liver, then my kidneys, my bowels and NOW my bladder,..Dear Lord, not sure how much longer its going to take for them to actually diagnosis with this. Totally freaked!
I do not have any health insurance and cannot go to a doc but after reading several of these type posts I have seen 2 things, Endo and IBS listed with these symptoms!  I too have AWFUL STABBING pain in my anus, pelvis lower abdomin and lower back. IT IS UNBARIABLE!!!  However, in my case it doesnt happen during my period but begins 1 day after my period and last 6-7 days but seems like a lifetime!
I am 34 and I have also suffered with the stabbing pain in my vagina and anal area.  I have not been diagnosed with endometriosis.  I have asked my gyno about it however I have changed dr's many times over the years.  It seems that hormonal changes are the culprit. It's hard to say if it would just occur naturally from menstration or if something can trigger it like using an IUD. I have had this condition since I was about 19. I've never used any type of hormonal birth control or devices.  I've only used condoms and didn't become sexually active until my late 20's.  I don't use tampons either I'm saying this because I see some of the comments wondering how this could effect them if they haven't used any of these devices I'm also saying this because  I believe these other sources can also  play a factor in the condition as well.  As far as pain relief I find 800mg of Ibuprofen helps out a great deal as well as making sure I am well hydrated so that bowel movements are as easy as they can be with the pain. I will be addressing this issue since my gyno appt happens to be this week while the pain is fresh on my mind. I will post any findings. Good luck to all.
To the comment about the IUD, I had a IUD place when the pains where what I thought to be horrible menstrual cramps. Threw test, xrays and exam, it has nothing do with my IUD. So hopefully when I go talk to a different gyno I get some real answers, to go with my real issues.
hello everyone....my girlfriend is 18, and she is going trough this shooting pain......she consult some doctor too but they cant hlepd the problem.......i am tensed about this......i dont know what to do...and she doesnt want to go to any doctor now as they cant help here earlier... please help...tell me what to do....
Unfortunatley the as you can see from our posts the symptoms can be from several different causes.  The best thing she can do is write down the symptoms especially when they are happening so that she can explain them to the doctor.  Until she can figure it out over the counter pain relievers , breathing techniques and rest can ease the pain.
I am a 27 year old female.I suffer from a bladder disease called Innerstitial Cystitis. I am missing the lining in my bladder, and everytime I move it causes my bladder to Hemmorage. I also have endometriosis. I have had many surgeries on my bladder. To many to count. I have had several Laporoscopy's, Cystocopy's, I have also had what they call Innerstem Device Implanted and removed. Unfortunetly the government has not come up with a cure for the disease in my bladder. I also have a rare case of the endometriosis that is vaginal-rectal endometriosis. All of this is severly painful. The pain is so bad I can barely walk most of the time, I can't stand for long periods of time, and I cannot move a lot. I recently got disability because my life is not normal. Its to painful to do anything really. I am scheduled on Nov. 23, 2010 to have a full hysterectomy. My gynecologist, is hoping that this might take away some of the pain. I just ended my period yesterday and I have been doubled over for days. The pain is so bad that if I touch my left side it cause stabbing pain in my left side down to my vagina and inbetween my rectum. I do know this pain has been there all this time since I have been diagnosed with all these problems in 2006. For some reason, something doesn't feel right though. Usually I can drink 2-4 glasses of Hot water and it will take the pain away for about 20-25 minutes. For some reason its not working. I am wondering if it may be a bowel obstruction or something to that nature. I have been throwing up the last couple of days and have diaherra for the last 4-6 days. I don't know what it is. I do know this. If all you ladies are having the pain inbetween your rectum and your vagina, and pain when you walk or stand. I would talk to your gynecologist about Innerstitial Cystitis. If you go to www.mayoclinic.com and look it up, they give you all the signs and symptoms, and what you can ask your doctor, what tests your doctor might do to determine what you have. Also you can take a little test that can give you a determination of what you might have. I hope this helps. I know what I have is worse then when I delivered my son with no pain meds. I take pain meds on a regular basis and it doesn't do anything. Thats how severe it is. Good luck to all. If anyone knows of something else it might be for myself, it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some advice. Thanks.
If you are diagnosed with endometriosis or any fertility problem and you are considering surgery as an option, (or if you cannot get a good diagnosis and you believe your problem may be gynecological), consider the Duke Center for Endometriosis Research & Treatment.  I have spoken with one of the doctors on the phone (Dr. Yeung) who has published his own research on very successful minimally invasive research to cure women permenently from issues including but not limited to endometriosis and infertility.  This kind of happy result is rarely seen although surgeries are common.  He is a very kind and approachable professional doctor who specializes in women's health and infirtility and at the time I spoke to him a few years ago he was teaching his procedures to medical students at Duke University or residents, I cannot remember which, perhaps both.  Here is the link to the website:
http://www.dukehealth.org/services/gynecology/programs/endometriosis/duke_center_for_endometriosis_research_treatment

Note it is listed #7 in the country by U.S. News and World Report.  If you seek out these  ratings you may find links to other desirable treatment locations, though I personally cannot attest from personal experience because I myself have not undergone treatment there.  I wish you all the best and those who obtain surgery for endometriosis, please be very selective of where you get it because I know some women who undergo surgery that is not at all effective and the endometriosis keeps coming back.

Hi everyone. I can't believe there are so many other women with this complaint. It is such a relief to read all your posts. I'm going through the blaoted, trapped gas feeling, pains in vagina, relief from passing water even though it hurts like hell. This first happened to me on my sister's hen/bachelorette party 3 years ago. I was on all fours in the restrooms trying to get some relief. My sister was going to taking me  home and i just had to ask her to bring me to the ER,i could barely walk with the pain,  i was lying accross the backseat of a taxi in complete agony, my lips turned blue and all the colour drained from my face. They gave me tylex at the hospital, i waiting for hours, eventually i was seen to be a male doctor who told me it was a kidney infection. he seemed so embarased about it when i explained to him that i thought my period was the cause of all this. i went to my local gp when during the week and he told me i did not have a kidney infection and that  it was 'normal cramps' that women get and even went as far as telling me his sister got them. I suggested that 'normal cramps' do not lead to women going to the ER every saturday night. He totally avoided the issue and i have never gone back to have this investigated since. The shooting pains are awful and i begin a new teaching job in 2 weeks, i'm so afraid that it will happen to me during class but i don't want to go back to my doctor again. So good to hear i'm not alone.
I just started having these pains recently and it was so unbearable that I had to go to the ER. Like alot of these women the doctor said it was just 'regular' period pains. I didn't really believe her because I never had these kinds of pain before and it seems to happen when I'm passing gas. I cannot sit when i get it and i feel as if im going vomit (and i did vomit eventually) when the pain comes again. i nearly pass out when i get it and it causes me to go on all fours untill the pain passes. im just really glad that way more women get these too so im not alone, except for the fact that everyone else that posted here are older and had their period for years, I'm fourteen and only had my period for a year and a half.

The thing that I'm most worried about is that this will happen during class . I have no idea what to do, should i just stay home every month on the first two days of my period? :S

this has happened to me a few times, and its usually when i'm on my period, but it just happened to me like an hour ago and there is still a dull pain in my vagina. I dont have health insurance.  It felt like a charlie horse when up my vagina and through my anus and back down again for about a minute, it sort of went away and i tried to go the bathroom, when it shot back through me agian and i almost screamed, now i'm feeling nauseaus and i dont know if that has anyting to do with it, i just want it to stop, it doesnt happen very often and its not a regular thing.. Im 21, i had an abortion a few years ago i dont know if that would have anything to do with it i just want to know why
I am 41 and have had a tubal done almost 10yrs ago.  These symptoms have been occuring for the just in the past year and yes they get worse and worse. Today it happened just in a matter of seconds when I got out of bed and lasted more than a few mins.  It was bad this time and like so many others I can't figue this out, but I know what helps me cope until it subsides and perhaps you can try it when it occurs...Keep these things handy in the home!  I eat a banana for the cramping. It does relieve it instantly but slowly it subsides the cramping to where you can actually move your legs. Then I drink a glass of 7up with ice because it causes the carbon to be released in your belly when its really cold.  This helps me pass the gas.  After about 3 mins, I can move and the pain slowly phases out but lingers minimally. This is when I lay flat on my back on my bed and grab my headboard. I extend my legs up just a bit and then pull it foward with each knee at the side of my head. This helps relax the muscle area to where the pain eventually goes away.  I noticed that now if a eat a banana every day, it doesnt reoccur as much. when I don't eat bananas like I haven't this week, it happens. And I know I will begin my period next week.  I hope this helps ladies..I will stay tuned to read more and see if any new developments have arised@
I am so glad I've found this forum! This same rectal pain has been happening to me off and on for the past few years, sometimes it will happen 2 days in a row and then disappear for months, and then just come back again. It was usually right before or beginning of my period and always within 5 min to 2 hours of defecating. The pain is unbearable, nearly brings me to tears, and lasts for about a minute then goes away. Now I am almost 6 months pregnant and have been experiencing this several times the past month or so, only the pain is more severe.
So on Saturday after having intercourse with my boyfriend I started to get this sharp pain from my lower stomach---to my vagina--to my rectum. It totally scared me. I couldn't move...I just went to sleep. When I woke up it was still there but not that severe.

The passed couple of days I still feel pressure on the top of my vagina but the pain was tolerable. Today I wake up and the pain came back. It was so hard to get up and walk. Today I feel like I have gas and have to pee but cant. When I finally used the restroom today a lot of the pressure stopped but the sharp pain on the top of my vagina is still here. It hurts so bad.

I do get abnormal periods (which the doctor said was normal) and have had an abnormal pap smear but have to wait a year (due to my age) to get further work done. I have also had two kidney infections.

Seeing all the responses scare me beacause i am still young (20) and do want kids. I hope I dont have cancer but I always think the worst.

I have a doctors appointment on Friday. If I get any information I will deff post again. I am keeping my fingers crossed because this is one of the worst pains I ever felt in my life.
I believe I have proctalgia fugax and I'm wondering if anyone has had these terrible anal pains while pregnant. I have one child and I'm wanting more but I'm afraid to be preganant and getting these pains. My pains didn't start until after I had my daughter. Any one pregnant and having these pains?

Concerned mom
Hi All, I

ts Great to see everyone sharing their symptoms etc on this forum.

I had sex a while back and had the same pains the only way I can describe it is as a pot of air had got trapped inside me and was expanding.

After about 2 days it had gone only to leave a bruised kind of feeling around my ovary area. Then this summer I got the feeling as If I was passing razor blades when doing toilet I went to my GP and she told me it was anal fissures. I was put on medication for this, but the pain lightened somewhat but still hasn't totally disappeared.

In July of this I had a abortion then when I left work 2 nights ago got into my car and I got a shooting pain into my vagina and anus. My other half actually said I could win a oscar on my reaction! I was in so much pain. Could this be related to me having a abortion?

When I got home I was doubled over in pain but I had the urge to pass wind, when I did it seemed as there was always more wind to come out.

2 days on and I am still suffering with the same pain. I have a tummy that keeps gurgling as if I am going to suffer with Diarrhoea rather soon.

Please someone give me advise on what to do as I am at loose end.

Thank you!
For about 5 years now, Ive been experiencing the sharp lightning bolt of hell almost like a hot needle was poked right into my cervix kind of pain. I finally went to a specialist who told me I have mild endometriosis and that the pain I was feeling in my abdomen (that was beyond severe and gave me the feeling I was dying) was that I am lactose intolerant!!! I had no clue! The painful bowel movement, the sudden increase of unbelievable pain in my anus up threw my stomach was my small intestines working over time to push "stuff" threw! I started taking Lactate and ALL of my pains from my "back-side" went away. The sharp pin-point pain I'm feeling inside my vagina on the other hand though, is from the endometriosis. Hope this helps others who have the same problems =)
OMG I started my period today and started having the most severe vaginal pain . I was so scared but when I got here and saw all the concerns from all I felt lot better. I also like to share something back in in 2009 I had a baby it was all good but when it was time for me to push the baby OMG I had the worst pain on my lower left abdomen I thought I was not going to make it because at the time I already had an epidural and since that time I was so worried If it was something serious  
I have had sharp shooting pains in my vagina and rectum and I had a complete hysterectomy in september of 2004 due to endometriosis. Also I am having alot of pressure, like when I urinate the pressure is in my bottom. But now like if I am standing or doing anything I will just have them sharp pains hit me, they are pretty severe pains. What could this be since I have had a hysterectomy? I have no frequency in urinating, no burning. Only trouble I have had is with my bowels, I have always been able to go quiet frequently, but here lately its not as easy to go. Just am really confused of what it might be? And I have not been to the Dr. since 2004 due to no insurance. But will have it January 1, What should I do?
What  a relief to know I am not the only one. Sharp shooting rectal pain, feeling conistipated, hurts to have a bowel movement and even passing wind hurt likes heck. it only is like this the 1st 2 days of my cycle  Even shile sitting here writing this, I am just getting over the sharp pain that happened just as I am sitting here.  I neer had this issue until I had my second child. I guess I should be happy I don't have uterine cramps, but heck, I'd rather had those than this
I have had severe rectal sharp stabbing pain since last night along with abdominal cramps/pain. This morning it was so bad i thought about going to the ER. This is the worst Ive ever had this although I have had this before. It seems like I get it once a month or every 2 months. This is by far the worst its ever been. I started getting it last night night while having a bowel movement. I'm really scared please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant believe that I found this site,and I really shocked to see how many people are having the same pains I am!..Thank you ladies for sharing your stories,I am so glad I found this site.I had these pains before pains in lower tummy area and inside the vagina and sometimes it shoots to the anus and you know I didnt even notice that it does happen around my period untill I started reading some of your stories.When I was very  young I had something devastating happen to me and the doctor told me I would always have problems with my vagina and may have pains during sex,so I thought that was just it.But the pains started changing.It scared me to death I have no idea what it could be and for it to hurt like this it just cant be nothing,and now im here on this site and I cant believe how many others there are with these pains.I have to say it does make me feel better knowing Im not alone but it dosnt stop the pain.I keep seeing endometriosis  Ive never herd of this so I am gonna do some other reading and look this up.Thank you ladies so much you help more then you know,I think you all are so brave to throw this out there and made the way for the rest of us to talk about it.
I have the exact same thing as you (Sharp shooting rectal pain, feeling constipated, hurts to have a bowel movement and even passing wind hurts... and I also have a hard time going to pee) and it started right as my period restarted after my second child and has been getting worse every time since (about 5 months). I have an appt with my OB in January, but for those who are up for self help, here is something you can try. I have been diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago as well and not sure if what we experience is IBS related, but for me one thing help (I had read something about it somewhere for IBS): I take 5-HTP before sleep the day symptoms start (ideally before they start but I haven't tried that yet because my period is not regular enough to know), and the symptoms are much milder. Mainly I feel constipated and bloated but the pain is very very little the next day (where as I was not able to sit the day before). I also take B6 and Magnesium, and take psyllium husk which helps with the gas and is supposed to help release IBS symptoms.
It would be interesting to know if anyone else has tried any of those and seen a difference. (I haven't really tried them separately, because I know those work and I don't feel like going through another day of pain just for the sake of the experiment).
I have the exact same problem. I'm 26 and I have gotten it since I was at least in high school. I can't drive, walk, or move when it comes up. I have to squeeze my legs together and almost tighten my vagina to try to let the pain "come out" slowly. After a few seconds it passes. I get it worse when I am on my period and when I have to make a bowel movement or somewhere in the near future a bowel movement occurs. I am a nurse and tried to diagnosis myself coming up w the conclusion that it is pressure when I have a large bowel movement coming on, but lately have tried to link more pieces together by noticing what time of the month it is when I get it, etc.my husband and I have been trying to get preg, but bo success, after test I found out I have polycystic ovaries. Not sure if this is why I get the pains, but I go back to doc tues for blood work and I will ask her while I am there. I have never asked a physician bc I have always been embarrassed and thought it was something stupid. But, about 6 nminutes ago when I had the worst one yet of my life I looked it up and found these post. So I am not so embarrassed anymore and will ask my doctor.
hay guys ,im 7 weeks preggo and having a really bad pain between my belly button and anus together,sometimes its just like someone stabbing within....just let me know whether its normal during early pregnancy??
I am 51 years young, have had three children without meds.  Six months ago I had a uterine ablasion to minimize intense menstrual bleeding, which had developed over the last couple of years.  Although the bleeding has seized (with spotting occurring just last month) I instead developed the severe rectal - can't catch my breath & want to scream - & lower abdominal pain that everyone else has described.  A trip back to the GYN last month and an abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound were unremarkable.  The doc prescribed Anaprox for pain and a course of antibiotics.  Of course after seeing him, I had a spotty period with more manageable pain.  Now, here we  go again - pain is back without menses flow.  I did suspect a change in diet, i.e., high protein shakes made with soy or almond milk to be contributory.  But, I have not had them in 5 days and I am on day 28 of my cycle and the pain is back!  It is extremely intense when having a bowel movement and is also uncomfortable when laying down in bed.  I do believe walking does help as well as Lamaze or Pilates breathing.  Also, I took Gas-Ex, a simethicone-based anti-gas over the counter med.,  thinking that gas in the bowel may aggravate it.  I believe it may be working!  But, the pain before it  can be debilating.  
I too am relieved that other women know about this horrendous pain. I've tried to explain it to doctors, and wish someone would acknowledge it and make it stop! I'm 39, and noticed periods becoming more painful, i do have ovarian cysts, i got that much confirmed,but no explanation for the agonising shooting pains up the bum,particuarly around period time,and also sometimes due to sex, more so if a period is due or just around that time.  I had 3 kids in my 20's, and the middle child's birth was ...i can't describe the pain...i never did know why it was so bad,the labour was one thing,but 'that other pain', was all i could describe it as, epidural didn't affect it. After conceiving a third time i was distraught at the thought that it could happen to me again, and i worried all the way through the pregnancy that it could happen again, thankfully it went wonderfully, no pain! It's been in more recent years, that the pain returned as i described, i had a coil removed and it was all fine until the doctor unwound the speculum instrument they use to open up the vagina and tried to pull it out. The pain was so excruciating that i screamed,froze up and i swear there was a flash of white light! This was an experienced gynocologist...and he looked puzzled?? So who's left to ask? I think it's endo, like the lady said earlier,the pain on the bowel could well be the same tissue as the womb,and contracting at period time as well. I knew a lady who had to bang on at the doctors for years about it,until eventually they operated, and found her womb and bowel fused together!!! No longer does she shoot under the table with sudden pain,or need to kneel on all fours in shops! I'm actually 38 weeks pregnant right now,with a last and only child with my partner of two years...i was told that pregnancy reduces symptoms of endometriosis and cysts,but now i'm getting 'that' feeling, the pain, the pressure...and they're not listening again....i don't know what's going to happen during the birth,i've talked to everyone i've seen,most of them have already picked up their notes and have a hand on the door handle before i've even finished explaining.!
So, if so many of us are explaining on here so clearly and articulately our pain,and so many the same symptoms exactly, then why don't the professionals we see, know what we're talking about?
I get the Sharp pains as well and their only during my period.
I to suffer from this (right now in fact!)  I'm 36 and have two children (8 and 6).  I've been experiencing this for several years.  I started spotting on Friday and yesterday started bleeding more like a 'normal' period.  As every month, the day I start my 'real period' as I call it, I get unbelievable pain in my lower abdomen (right above my bikini line) and in my anus.  It feels like someone is trying to pull my uterus out through my anus with a sharp knife and there are shooting, stabbing pains in my anus followed by extreme cramping in my uterus.  I also feel sharp (but not as sharp as in my anus) pains in my vagina.  Sitting makes it worse.  Bowl movements are very painful, and bowl movements before are normal, so I know I'm not constipated.

I've been diagnosed with cysts and have had polyps removed too.  I've been on b/c but it still happens (not quite as bad though).  

I've thought about having an ablation done, but worry it won't alleviate the pain.

Melissa 36
Crazy! I first started getting these when I was 11, when my mom actually took me to the ER in the middle of the night because I was in so much pain. The doctor said it was probably gas, and even then I knew he was full of crap (pun intended, but not proud of). So, like most of you, I just put up with it. I had some fibroids removed, and for a while I was OK. Maybe I have new ones, because my ladyparts have not been singing lately. Note that I was able to conceive and bear a wonderful, healthy child after the fibroid cryosurgery (although some scarring on my cervix complicated delivery a little), so it might not mean infertility for you kids. I'm 39 now and weighing whether to check on those fibroids again or just see about ending my periods through chemical or surgical means.
I have had irregular periods since I was 12. I am now 21 and married. My husband and I want children. I've been to the gyno b/c I was worried. Turns out i've had PCOS since 2006 and my PCP never told me!! Apparently I have a rare case, I have no facial hair or anything, but I have ALOT OF CYSTS. My gyno said I might have endometriosis. I just had another papsmear so I can know if they precancerous cells on my cervix went away. I was put on birth control to try and regulate my period and to help me ovulate. Nothing yet... I work at the hospital where my gyno is and I ran into him during lunch I asked about this pain that started today he said it might be because im going to start my period. I just walked away because this is nothing like period pain. My vaginal hole acctually hurts. It hurts when i sit, get up from sitting and squatting. It hurts and Im tired of this pain. Idk if im having a cyst that burst or another problem. Im having little pains in my ovaries. This blows!!!!
wow. i just came upon this website googling pains in my rectum. I have had such problem after giving birth to my 2nd child 19 months ago. 4 months ago, i was diagnosed with endomitritis(infection in the uterous). but now i have been so bloated almost every day for months. i feel like i always need to pee and there is something pushing on my bladder, always tired, very late periods every month and spotting before and after. But tonight, i have had this excrutiating pain in my pelvic region and anus and lower back. i cant even describe it. i have not experienced this pain before but i am scheduled in for an U/S soon to check for cysts and then again after for a minor surgery to check for endomitriosis. I really just want to find out whats wrong with me and i will be relieved! no doctor yet has been able to tell me whats wrong. and also, i get cramping every day for the past few months. i cant believe there are so many of you out there with some of these symptoms. so glad i found this forum!
Do you get this pain all the time or does it only happen during your period? I have had this happen now for about the past 6 months. It only happens to me during the first 2 days of my period, I can hardly walk the pain is so terrible. I can not even have a go to the bathroom like to push because the pain is so bad!! I have no idea what us causing it but I have read about endometriosis and it sounds alot like it. I need to go to the dr but I can't with no health insurance. If you figure out what is it let me know.
I am having severe pain in lower abdomen and its is horrible to have a bowel movement or sit down. It lasts about 15 mins but its starting to last longer. I had a hysterectomy about three years ago, they left my overies, and I did have some complications, the doctor cut a artery and had to go back in and fix it. Im worried its related. Any ideas?
I have had this anal pain with my cycle for a few years now. no doctor has any idea whats wrong. Tylenol, Motrin, Naproxen dont even touch the pain i feel. i cant sit and it wakes me out of my sleep.  All i get is doctors makeing a fuss because i take so much meds. Im in pain. its nice to know im not crazy. Its hard telling someone my pooper hurts and haveing to swear i dont have anal sex. I avoid my period with birth control. its to depressing to deal with.
i was diagnosed with endo four years ago it is very painful more so then some people think. it effect's your everyday life as much as what you can and can't pick up and even some foods will effect it. i have a suggestion for the pain though a it's going to sound a little funny but go get a long tube sock fill it up with rice, but leave enough room in it so that you can tie it in a knot. when you hurt put it in the microwave for about two minutes. To some that may be to long but you know what you can handle. lay it across your abdoman when your hurting like especially after sex and it helps with the pain i promise. It's better then a heating pad except it does lose heat after a few minutes but at least you don't have to worry about it catching on fire like you do a heating pad.
Hi I am a male 32.  Seems like a lot of women are talking about this but this is not only limited to women.  I have had these pains/pressure in my anus.  It feels like your anus has a mind of its own, that it is trying to push something out with all its force and pressure and you can't stop it.  Am I right?  For me it started around age 20. Tweleve years later it still occurs.  Sometimes a few minutes after ejaculation.  But sometimes it just happens and you can not control it.  For me it happens about 5 or 6 times a year.  I find if I sit on the toilet try to relax and do "He He Who" breathing like they do in those lamase clases it helps and will subside quicker.  But yeah it is like going through hell.  Hang in there everyone we will eventually find out what the hell this is.
could some one any one please get an actual diagnosis i do get this pain 4-5 times a yr but for 48hrs straight now and bloated  like im 5 mths pregnant,i cant walk,sit and lying down is also uncomfortable , i have had 3 ectopic pregnancies,and 2 kids,my last tube was remove 8 yrs ago 3 mths after giving birth to my last son.i tried an enemena today and it seemed to relive pressure by allowing more gas out but i have yet to to a poo (lol)...i thought of mabe a cyst on my ovarie,or twisted bowl,i have thought alot but have yet to find out what it is..i am off to the doctors tomorrow so if i do get a diagnosis i will be sure to post it on here..
Hello, everyone!
I'm jumping on the ***-pain bandwagon, too!

I am 17 years old, and this sudden, very intense, yet short-lived pain seems to come up randomly, whether I'm sitting down or standing still, yet it is almost always there when I'm on the pooper.

It only occurs when I have my period, though sometimes it's there for a bit after my period's done.

It hurts so much, and I have a friend who also experiences this.
I'm wondering if there is a link between a heavy flow, but I can't say for sure. I haven't tried talking to a doctor about it, but I'm planning on it. This pain started about a year ago and I really want it gone.

I've never had anal sex, so I know that that's not the case. I wish it would be figured out... But I'm surprised to see how common it is! Stay strong, everyone!
I was so desperate and in so much pain I did a google search and came across this forum.Thank you ladies for sharing. I helps to know I am not alone. I hate going to the doctor and trying to explain something odd like this.

Most of you desribed the pain during a bowel movement. For me the pain happens so much during my bowel movement I never think about it any more. I just breathe though it. But today the pain came out of nowhere. I went to sit down and nearly had to jump back up! My right leg is achy and it feels like the mucles around my heel and ankle are pulled taut. I just took 800 mgs of ibuprophen cause I can't take the pain. Has anyone experienced the pain during normal activity? .
Hi, im 15 and about 6 months ago i started getting searing pain in my bottom and have noticed spots of blood, but only when im on my period.  i have no idea whats going on.   i thought at first it was just some sort of issue with me using the rest room.  but after my period it goes away.  I usually have a long dragged out period usually 7-9 days.  and 9 days with this pain is horrifying.  im glad im not alone with this.  but im a little concerned with my age especially :(
I had these exact pains and I ended up have a recto-vaginal nodule from stage IV endometriosis.
my research has led me to this......

Pudendal Neuralgia Symptoms

Pudendal Neuralgia (PN) is pain in the pudendal nerve area. The most common diagnosis of PN is Pudendal Nerve Entrapment (PNE). However, PN can also be the result of peripheral nerve damage or other conditions. These pages focus on PNE.

Some tests can be used to diagnose PNE, as described in Pudendal Neuralgia Diagnosis. However a large part of diagnosis relies on systematic study of the symptoms. This page is aimed at helping patients and doctors determine the strong possibility of PNE from the study of symptoms alone.

Most cases of PN are improperly diagnosed. Because early treatment will have the best chance for the most beneficial results, correct consideration of early symptoms is critical.

Possible Causes of PNE

Most of the time, pain has settled without one knowing, sometimes preceded by paraesthesia (numbness, lost of sensations) in the lower pelvic/buttock/genital/rectal/perineum area. Extended sitting at work and frequent long drives are among the causes of pudendal nerve compression. In younger people, sports involving the legs like heavy weight lifting, running and – most of all - cycling are the leading risk factor for the development of this condition. In the sports medicine community it is sometimes called the “cyclist syndrome”. Scar tissue from a previous surgery in the pelvic/rectal/genital area has played a part in developing PNE. Woman have developed PNE after a difficult childbirth or after having a hysterectomy. For many however, the cause remains unknown.

People who have PNE were most likely predisposed to get it and many people who are predisposed never develop the condition. For some, the pudendal nerve can follow an irregular path. One’s anatomy in this particular area of the body can lead to the compression of the nerve when performing certain movements or positions; such as bending, stooping, or sitting. (see Anatomical Images) Tight muscles and tendons can lead to constant friction with the nerve. Pressure, inflammation and scar tissue can possibly harm the nerve over time. Nerves fibers previously damage by a radicular lesion in the lower spine (L4-L5 or L5-S1) can result in an oversensibility to the effects of a compression on its way.

Many people however (1/3) recall one event in particular as the beginning of their symptoms. Some recall the feeling of a lightning electrical shock after a bad move. It is sometimes due to a direct shock like a fall on the buttock. Statistically, six out of ten subjects are woman and the beginning of the problem happens in average between 50 and 70 years old.

Symptoms

As most people develop this condition gradually, it is important to understand it’s symptoms to prevent further damage to the nerves. Here are the classic PNE symptoms:
The chief symptom is pain in the area innervated by the pudendal nerves. Sitting become intolerable.

The pain is lessened when laying or sitting on a toilet seat.

The pain can be delayed and stay long after one has identified the source of aggrevation (sat too long, walked too far, did too much, etc.)

Usually, the pain gradually increases during the day and is the worst at night. Many PNErs feel their best upon waking in the morning.

The most common type of pain is a burning sensation. Other type of pain often experienced are: twisting, pulling sensations, electric shock sensations, vague pains, stabbing pains, pin pricking, numbness and cold sensations. The pain level can vary from time to time but the nature of the pain is constant. The pain can move around to different areas.

PNE symptoms can also include:

Pain only on one side or on both sides of the perineum, buttock

Intolerance to tight pants.

Friction and inflammation feeling along the course of the nerve when walking for too long or running. However, walking reasonably helps to relax the muscles and reduce the pain for most people with PNE.

Pain at the standing position for 20% of the people with PNE.

Paraesthesia and eventually a lost of sensation in the territory of the pudendal nerve: penis, vagina, clitoris, perineum and buttock.

Rash on genital, or skin change - more rubbery - on the perineum, groin and lower buttock.

Bladder problems: dribbling, dysuria (difficulty or pain in discharging urine), difficulty to detect the feeling of urine when passing through the uretha; need to push to empty bladder, urgency.

Bowel problems: constipation (or inversely diarrhea), pain during or after bowel movement and frequent hemorrhoids.

Male sexual problems: some men complain of a diminution of sensations. Impotence is possible. Pain during or after ejaculation is frequent. Scrotum/Testicular pain is also common.

Female sexual problems: Pain during and after intercourse. Many woman cannot tolerate stimulation to the clitoris.

Buttock Sciatica: numbness, coldness, burning, sizling sensation in legs, feet, buttock. This is more often due to a tightning reaction of the surrounding muscle to the pain in the pelvis region. It can be caused by “crosstalk” between the inflame pudendal nerve and the sciatic nerve.

Low back pain resulting from irradiation of the pain.

The symptoms can be unilateral or bilateral. If the entrapment is only on one side, the pain can also be reflected to the other side.

Over time, the evolution of symptoms without treatments worsen progressively starting from a small perineal discomfort to a more and more chronic and constant pain that is least decreased when standing and even lying down.

It can be frightening for the newcomer to read all these symptoms and can lead to self rationalization that he/she does not have this condition because it is not so bad at the moment. Remember that most people do not have all the classics symptoms at once, and for most of them the problem started with a small discomfort. Nerves can react in a variety of ways to entrapment.

I also came across this page but i will just post the address link,it sounds very similar to my symptoms,i hope i have helped at least 1 person out there.
http://www.endo-resolved.com/symptoms.html
Hi all,

I am a 30 year old female.
Been following this thread for quite some time now. I have had the intense pains for about 2 years. It took me a while, but I finally noticed that it was usually around ovulation time. Sometimes it would be triggered by using the bathroom, and other times it would happen in the middle of the night and wake me up out of sleep. The pain was an intense cramping and would usually last 3-4 minutes, which would seem like an eternity. The pain was always smack dab in the middle, just above my pubic line. I felt like I was going to give birth to some alien baby it hurt so bad, and came with so much pressure that I felt like I needed to push something out! The after effects of the pain were extreme bloating and the anal pressure and pain on touching the abdomen or sitting up straight, like there was something up there poking me behind the uterus. I would also have bouts of constipation and diahrrea, which led some doctors to quickly shout "IBS!" and felt bloated and full most of the month. The best way I can describe the 'main pain' is that it is like a charlie horse in my uterus or somewhere in that region. I felt as if I would go into shock and pass out from the pain. I made multiple trips to the emergency room for pain shots as by the time the pain came and went a pain pill would not do any good.
I saw about 5 doctors and would leave crying as they would just guess what is wrong with me and want to put me on birth control and be done with it. For various reasons I didn't want to be on birth control and it was so frustrating that I couldn't find a doctor who would actually take the time to figure out what was wrong with me.
So finally I found a really good urologist- obgyn who really took the time to help me. Her first instinct was endometriosis, which I had heard from other doctors. It was hard to think this could be the problem because everything I had read on the condition said that endo would cause extreme pain during your period. But, my periods were fine and not anymore painful than a 'normal' period. In fact, the week of and after my period were my most symptom free.
So since the doc suspected endo and the only way to truly diagnose it is through surgery, she helped me go through other less invasive tests first to rule out anything else before undergoing the laproscopic surgery.
She looked in my bladder to rule out interstitial cystitis, I had a colonoscopy to rule out anything there (my mother died of colon cancer at 54), and had numerous vaginal ultrasounds where cysts on both of my ovaries were spotted. I also went to pelvic floor physical therapy for 6 weeks to rule out muscle spasms.
So after all of that fun, we finally scheduled the laproscopy. I had the procedure done in August 2010. Endometriosis was found in the cul-de-sac region (up behind the uterus), and was lasered off. My 'chocolate cysts' (cysts filled with endometriosis) were drained and some minor adhesions were lasered as well. The surgery went well, and the only complication was severe depression upon waking up from the anesthesia, and for about a week after the surgery while taking vicodin. But I don't think that's very common, I am very sensitive to any sort of medications.

So it's been 6 months since the procedure and I do feel alot better. I've been put on seasonique so I only have a period every 3 months. The doc said the fewer periods I have, the less chance the endometriosis has of coming back. I have not had the pain since the surgery, and the bloating and fullness feeling I always had (including always looking 5 months pregnant) has diminished by leaps and bounds. I still feel a little tinge of cramping in the same spot I used to have my pain, usually if gas or bowels are moving through the area, but really my overall situation has improved immensely. I am learning to relax as my body seemed to be always tense and on edge, subconsciously bracing for the pain. I really want to believe that all the problems were found and removed and that endometriosis was really the culprit. It's still hard to know if it was the endo causing the pain or a rupturing/leaking cyst or adhesions being pulled this way or that. So hopefully I am 'fixed' but I suppose only time will tell for sure.

I am due to go for a followup ultrasound soon to see if the cysts are still gone.

So hopefully this helps some of you, as there seems to be so many people complaining about the problem and not alot of people with any sort of solution. It's been a frustrating journey, and it saddens me to see so many of you dealing with this and not knowing what is... I know how confusing and scary it can be. Keep bugging your doctors and trying different ones and don't give up as frustrating as it can be.

Looking forward to hearing more stories from women (and men?) who have posted on the board in the past and have maybe gotten help or figured out what is causing their pain.

Good luck and stay strong!

Rachael
I am so glad that i am not alone with this pain. I am 18 years old and i have been having these pains since i was about 16. I could feel this pain coming on and i knew i had to lay down before it got to bad or i would fall on the floor. The pain was in my anal and vaginal area and it feels like i'm trying to push something out. Sometimes i get after a bowel movement or it wakes me up in the middle of the night. I never know when it's going to happen. I told my grandmother and mother about it and they told me that it was probably just my period. But my periods are normal so i'm pretty sure it's not that. So i finally talked to my doctor about it and he just looked at me like i was crazy. I have no idea what to do. I just want the pain to stop. I've tried hot water bottles and pain medication and none of it works. The only thing i can do is lay there for 5 minutes and wait for it to pass. And that 5 minutes seems like forever. If any of yall could give me some advice on what to do that would be amazing. I'm just so tired of this :(
I feel those anal cramps and vaginal cramps when I am dehydrated. Try to drink more water and eat more fiber. It may be your bowels trying to move through.
Did you ever find out what was causing this pain? This is EXACTLY the problem I am dealing with!
I'm 53, still having my period and this morning out of the clear blue sky I had such a sharp pain through my vagina, anus and into my lower stomach I couldn't breathe.  

I finally made it over to my bed to lie down

I drink lots of water.  I am dieting.  But it's not a wacky diet.  

Wow am I glad to find y'all.

I am still really tender, slightly painful tonight.
With the same pain mentioned above....

Im 29, 3 children,

I also when am on my menses have this pain from my vjay and my anus....
I also bleed like a saf to the point I had to wear a diaper, are the famous combo of tampon and doubled up pads.
Clots all the time and not the small kind....
Pain besides the above from my pelvis right down my thighs
I also feel it when I am ovulating, why take my temp when my body tells me with the cramps...

that being said I have had the above symptoms since I was 13 and virgin... clots pain and all... this effected my schooling and to this day still does... Id miss a week a month due to my pain,and work.. now in collage the same issues and still miss classes.... it effects my life hugely.. to the point i dont go anywhere or do much when im on them... which is unfair to my children but they are understanding and aware.....

When I was 18 years old my only sexual partner had given me PID... I can  ease some minds by saying PID doesnt just act up during menses its all the TIME, I was NOT on my menses when I felt the shocking pelvic pains and nor was i having sex when I noticed the pain.... that was quickly taken care off... and so was that relationship....

I did get checked got the famous pap test everything came back awesome, I have lost sooo much weight everything...yet im left in pain

I have come to conclude this is who I am, seeing my daughter at 13 with menses just like mine, flow and all its very heavy....

On that note Dr suggested
lose weight
avoid caffine
avoid high sugar food
eat healthy
excersies... (please dont expect me to get up jog my tooshie off when im on menses) LOL

Which is there obvious suggestions when they dont know wtf is going on.
And to take birth control skip the week of your menses and you eventually wont have your periods.... lets face it, that doesn't solve nothing... thats just a quick fix... with all that said and done I am anemic and when i have my periods it takes time for things to go back up... Um I wonder why Iam anemic.... Perhaps cause  i bleed like im delivering a child everytime i get my periods....

My doctors next suggestion
hysterectomy  barfsss.....

I believe they should look further into crap like this, lots of women suffer  its a burden and unforgiving... how many 29 year olds want a hysterectomy... I for one dont, but somethings gotta give....
Hi everyone.

I'm 22 years old, and I'm having some of the pains you all are describing right now: sharp vaginal, rectal, and abdominal pains. I'm not on my period, either. I just stumbled across this forum while Google searching the pain I'm in right now. I came across this: http://www.**********.org/ This website talks about something called Chronic Pelvic Pain, or CPP. It sounds a great deal like what most of you are talking about here. Check it out! It might help!!!
I have the same sort of pain. It comes at random times, but mostly before my period. I just got my results back from the doctor today, and thought I might post in here to let those who have no idea know about a possibility. I actually have an ovarian cyst/tumour which will need to be removed. It causes the pain most of you girls have described. These are usually not very harmful, but can get quite large. If they get too big, you have to have the whole ovary out, which is a scary thought. I waited 4 or 5 months and that was too long, so if you have the pain, be persistant at the doctors. I had doctors tell me it was just period pain etc, but I knew it wasn't. Ask for an ultrasound and/or an internal examination. All I needed was the ultrasound and mine showed up. Best of luck! x
I have been having these pains for 10 years, proper agony. I had a coil for a while and i got them a lot more when i had it. I thought when I had it taken out that I wouldn't get it any more, and I haven't hardly. It has come suddenly tonight and lasted about an hour. I'm quite shocked and a bit confused! I agree that it feels very menstral, and I have had very mild bouts around my period sometimes. It feels like everything inside my vj and that area is being pulled down and I want to push it out. This is the only forum I have found that discusses this and I am glad that i'm not the only one. Has made me feel a bit better, just want the pain to bog off now!
I get this too over my time of the month, Im startin t worry bu wen its gone I forget bout it and dont get it checked, is it serious?
I am like most woman on this forum...I first experienced the pain 8 years ago immediately after an abortion...since then I feel the pain every so often during the first 2-3 days of my period...my intestines are full and it is pressing down on my female organs and I feel like if I could just go to the bathroom I would feel better but it hurts to bare down to eliminate...like something is blocking it with a sharp knife...stabbing pain when I push and when I sit...I am 34 years old...no children...it doesn't seem like any of us really know what is happening to us and this is discouraging but I'm glad I'm not alone...
Just wanted to add what has helped me. I suffered from undiagnosed vaginal pain for almost a year before I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. My doctor thinks it was caused by an e.coli and/or herpes infection(I never had an outbreak). The virus damaged the nerves. Well, I have been taking Lyrica for about 9 months, and it has been a life saver. I have almost no pain. I feel 99% better! Good Luck and hang in there!
Following on from comments I made last year and Justrach's comments, some of you may have pudendal neuralgia and/or endometriosis issues.  A website that may help is - ************.com, which lists symptoms, causes, treatments, docs, therapists and has a forum that is incredibly useful for anyone with PN.  My mother suffered with vjay and butt pain for years before being trialed on Lyrica, which eased the nerve pain.   Kjmeow obviously has a great doc.  I also think, as someone else mentioned, 5htp, and B vitamins can be useful, as is a diet rich in nutrients.  Thank goodness people here can talk about this pain without being judged or smirked at.  Best wishes.
It is  now nearly 5 am, had pains for about an hour, last time was a week ago. bad pains in vagina, goes down my legs. Feel as if a bowel motion would help, sat on toilet, no help. still have pains. I have  been experiencing these pains for about 30 years, but the unusual thing  is that I had a full hysterectomy about 5 years ago, and the pains are still there. No one I have read about are in my age group - I am 59, or have had a hysterectomy, so I wonder where I stand.
My mother developed nerve pain in her late fifties after fallling onto a rock, and it gradually became chronic pain in her sixties.  A hysterectomy would have no effect on your pain if the pudendal nerve already has pressure on it from trauma or inflammation .  A good website is "pudendalhelp" *******.  Click on the Symptoms link to see some of the causes of PN.  Also click on the List of PTs as they are usually able to see you earlier than a PN doctor. My mother's pain radiated down to her feet sometimes.  I hope this helps.
Ooops, meant to type "pudendalhope" website.  The GOTO FORUM on this site is incredible.
I know it's been said but wow, I can't believe I'm alone.
Nobody in my household knows what I'm talking about, nor do my doctors. I'm 18 years old and since I was 16-17 (and sexually active) I have had HORRIBLE pain during my menstrual cycle when I attempt to have a bowel movement. Without giving TMI, when the stool is moving through my rectum it is the most severe pain I have ever felt--it feels like it is in my cervix, like the stool is just pushing it really hard.
I have sex and don't get this feeling when a penis touches my cervix, or fingers. It's only when I am on my period and I go to the bathroom.
I've watched videos of childbirth and I swear it hurts as bad as that, though I've never had children.
I sit in the bathroom and cry and want to scream because it hurts so bad. Tampons make it worse, especially when pulling them out. When I wear a tampon and then have to go to the bathroom, that is the ABSOLUTE WORST. I have stopped wearing tampons because of this.
Birth control has done absolutely nothing except make my period less often. The severity is the same.
I have not been pregnant or had a child, but I have had and been treated for chlamydia in the past. I did not develop PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I have looked up the symptoms of endometriosis many times and I often feel as though I match some of them but I have not been diagnosed with it--the doctors said it was unlikely.
It does seem that it runs in my family. My mom had a hysterctomy when she was 30 because she had undiagnosed, chronic vaginal pain, ovarian pain, and developed cysts over and over on her ovaries that would rupture, taking bits of her ovaries with them.
I'm now worried that I can't have children because of all the comments on the link between this pain and endometriosis. I'm 18 years old and having a child with my fiance someday is what we want so badly for the future.
The pain is terrible, and I've scheduled an appointment to go see a midwife instead of an OB. I hope she will know more about this than the OB's did--they were clueless.
Can anyone give me some support? I'm awfully scared now that I'm infertile. :(
Anyone else who has this type of pain please email me...I'd really like to start an online support group. I think we should all work together to solve this horrible pain.
***@**** is my email. Shellie is my name.
Thanks--your answers have helped me tremendously, and it feels so good to know I'm not alone...:)
I have bad pains in my stomach then it enters my vagina its been like this for alot of years sometimes my butt too but mostly in my stomach then it enters my vagina it hurts really bad that i try not to move until it goes away i am so scared did anyone find out what it is? I hope its not something extremely serious
I started having periods since i was 11 yrs, they were always very heavy and lasted 7-8 days. I started having menstrual cramps when i was 15 yrs, they got worse year to year and i started having painful defecation (passing stool). The pain would start a few days prior to periods and continue till 1-2 days after my periods finished. Passing stool or urine was always extremely painful. Other than my period dates everything was normal. Went to alot of gynaecologists (my mother is herself a doctor) and finally got diagnosed with endometriosis. It was so bad that i had adhesions all over my lower abdomen. Was initially put on androids, they cleared off the adhesions and the chocolate ovarian cyst of endometriosis, then i was put on contraceptive pills. I hade been on these pills since 5 yrs now. No matter how much i thank God it wont be enough as He bestowed me with a baby girl in 2009 and now am again pregnant. This in contardiction to every doctor who told me i had only 30-40% chances of having a baby. So all u gals out there, don't loose hope. I really wish u all recovery from whatever u r suffering.
I am so glad to find this forum!  I have posted on another forum I visit about this and no one had the same symptoms.  I even had a friend tell me 'there's something wrong with you, I am not like that'.  I was so mad b/c she has maybe 3 periods a year, and she told me there is something wrong with me?  

The pain is unreal.  I am 28 years old, never been pregnant, been TTC for over 4 years.  My DH has a 10 year old by another marriage.  My cycles are on average 42 days with a 13 day luteal phase (time after ovulation) I've been charting my temps for 4 years, I know my cervical mucous and other ovulation signs pretty well at this point.  But on cycle day 2-3 I always get these terrible shooting cramps from my rectum through my vagina.  I thought at first it was tampons that was making it happen so I switched to pads, no dice it still hurt.  Midol helps and so does a glass of red wine, oddly enough pilates helps too.  I cannot get an answer though, I just get told it is normal to cramp.  How is this kind of pain normal?  I almost doubled over in the kitchen last week when I was on my period.  
yes infact it is because of endomitriosis...i was diagnosed about 2 years ago and before that no one could understand me when I tried to explain the kind of pain...but then when i was diagnosed they explained that that sharp pain that you feel is that the blood that comes out of the scarring due to endomitriosis rests on the what they call it The Pouch Of Douglas..and sometimes it gives you the feeling that you need to poop, and eventually when you manage to poop the pain will start going slowly!!!!
Thank god i am not alone.
i am 14 years old and i have a terriable period.
i have been going to the women doctor over it i have tried hormone pills and now i am on birth control.
but nothing seems to be working as welll.
i am really over this i need help fast.
a 14 year old girl shouldnt be going through this.
i get big blood clouts and they hurt really bad.
i go through 2 packs of pads.
i am usally on my perod better 2 to 4 weeks.
this is not normal at all.\
the longest i have went is a total month
doctors dont see this but alot of girls are going through what im going through.
and i have really bad pains in my virgina and buttt area it hurts really bad.Any body can you help me understand what is wrong or what i can do to stop the pains?
i was just reading your comment ans was wondering if now 7 months on you have been to see your GP and had a diagnosis?

i am 21 and lst novmeber i had a laproscapy that concluded that i have endometriosis and later tols that i quite possibly had IBS aswell!

this isnt my point.... i just want to say that i had pelvic/anal and vaginal pain all the time, messed, up long, extremly painful periods for years probably since i started. for years i was made to feel stupid and told that my pains were normal cycle pains and once even told i had a urine infection with out a urine sample taken! after years of being brushed aside i just kept quiet and suffered in silence, until the pain became unbearable and i demanded to see a gyn. what im saying is please dont give up finding what that cause of your pain is. it may be a small problem but it may also be something alot worse and anything in that area must be taken seriously for women espcially!

take care

x
Shellie -

Sorry to hear your doctors have not been so helpful. Like I said in a previous post, it took me about 5 different OBGYN's to finally find one that actually took the time to listen and help me.

I have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I am 30 and had the pain for about 5 years. I don't think it is unlikely that you have endo, especially with your past. Don't be too scared though because endo does not always cause infertility. It's only in more rare cases where it is in your fallopian tubes.

Have you had a pelvic or vaginal ultrasound? I would get these first and that will show if there are cysts. The only way to diagnose endo is through laproscopy (a minor surgery where they make very small incisions in your belly button and above your pubic line) where they can look in there with a camera and 'burn' off the endo where they see it.

Usually after you have the surgery you must go on birth control, I am on seasonique so only having 4 periods a year. If my OBGYN had it her way I would be on hormones to put me through a psuedo-menopause or continuous birth control until I was ready to have children. This seems scary to me so for now just doing the seasonique. The less periods you have, the less chance the endo has of returning.

Good luck and keep trying out different doctors if you are able, or maybe if it's not possible you could go somewhere like planned parenthood or your college for an ultrasound to at least rule out cysts.
I have all of the endo and ruptured cyst pains that you are all describing except not in the vaginal area.  I also had all of these symptoms while I should have been wrapping up my period.  BUT I SKIPPED IT! I've taken two pregnancy tests a week apart and they both said negative.  No one's blog says anything about this.... I've had the sharp anal pains for a couple years but haven't noticed when I get them (where you clench your butt even though it still hurts because you feel like it hurts more when you push out.)  I only recently had the simultaneous stomach pain where it feels like someone is twisting your intestines.  "OH MY GOD" is all I could mutter and repeat quickly while I laid in the fetal position.  I was bloated and had had a small painful pellet like bowel movement in 2 days which usually I have one or two easy ones a day so I took laxatives incase I was constipated because I really have never had a bad constipation and don't know the feeling.  The stomach pain and anal pain lasted about 24 hours and came up a few times the next two days but was replaced with an intense bruised feeling in my stomach when I would laugh, breath deeply, sneeze, cough or stretch.  So I'll go to the doctor the next time this happens but want to figure out this missed period thing - is that a symptom?  I have also had back pain over the past 7 years and am now turning 2