Short menstral cycles and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Short menstral cycles and pregnancy

Ever since I went off the pill 3 years ago I have had periods that have fluctuated from 17 day cycles to 23 day cycles, the average has been 23 day cycles.  Twice last year I actually had 28 day cycles.  I have been hoping to become pregnant but was recently told by a friend that with cycles that were shorter then 28 days the egg was not given time to mature before it passed however since I was still having reqular periods that was a good sign and she suggested Clomid.  Is there any other option besides taking Clomid?  What is causing the shorter cycles?  Is there anything that I can do to try to regulate them?  I have never been pregnant however several years ago I donated eggs to a friend, who did get pregnant with twins however they had to keep me on the meds longer then normal to get viable eggs and at that I did not produce as many as I should have.  Is there a connection between the prolonged response to the meds and the short cycles?
I would suggest having a pre-conception visit with your OB/GYN. He/she can answer all these questions for you. It sounds like you may need something to help lenghten your cycle, but I am not sure that it would be Clomid. Clomid is more for women who do not ovulate at all. It is also a good idea to have a check-up prior to getting pregnant anyway, just to make sure you don't have any other health issues that need addressed first.
For the last four months my menstral has been irregular. It usually last for a period of 3 days. However, this month I got something that seemed like a period but it only lasted a day & it was dark brownish color. The month before my period was on August 4, 2008 & it lasted 3 days. Is there any posibility that i may be pregnant.