Shortness of breath with PMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Shortness of breath with PMS

I'll make this short, but since the birth of my child...3 years ago, I have been getting shorth of breath about a week before I start my period. My GYN says he has never heard of this and he thinks it is all in my mind. Of course it isn't! Anyway, I am a healthy 34 year old. The only medical problem I have is hypothyroidism and I am taking medication for it. Thank you for your time.
I've never had a child, but shortness of breath is not a good thing.  I would go to my family doctor and have him run some tests.  Everyone is different but they always say better safe than sorry.  Keep me posted on how it goes!!  It does seem odd that you would only get it around PMS time, so I recommend that you get checked.....Lynn :)
Joy.......I have experienced shortness of breath for years..... since I was a teenager.......always around my menses.  After my baby was born, it got worse for a while......as soon as my period resumed, it stopped.  This past year, I have monitored this carefully, and it's like clockwork.  For exactly 3 days, before my period starts, I have this thing where I can't "catch" my breath... I can breath 2 or 3 breaths, and on the 4th, I can finally breathe deep enough to get the breath.  It's like something is catching so I can't breathe deep..... like I'm hyperventilating.  As soon as my period starts, it usually stops.  I have seen docs for this, and they tell me they are panic attacks, which I think is rubish.  I think it's too much of a coincidence that it starts 3 days before, and stops as soon as I start my flow.  I will tell you... it's not in your head!  I think, in my humble frustrated opinion, that it has something to do with the rise and fall of hormones..... and I don't see why they haven't come up with that yet.  I do know it's uncomfortable, and tonight, it's driving me crazy.  
The only thing they did for me, was give me a mild tranquilizer, which did seem to help, but I hate taking anything like that, so I try to breathe in a paper bag..... it's just so frustrating, that the docs tell us it's in our head!  It's NOT.  They also said that about PMS, and some still do.  I wish someone knew what this was????  Could it be hormone related?  I've been tested and tested, it's not heart disease.. it's not asthma.... my lungs are clear.  It's just some fluke that happens like clockwork every month.  The docs just shake their head, and say it's a panic attack.  
You should get it checked tho, and make sure nothing else is going on.  
Good luck Joy............and if anyone else knows if this could be hormone related, and if there's something that can be done.. please speak up :)
Thanks :)

Trish :)
Hey, I don't know if you ever got your shortness of breath problem resolved but my doctor has done several thyroid checks and I had to adjust my medicine to take half in the morning and half in the evening.  If your TSH level (i think) is too high it can cause breathing problems.  I have also started getting massages at Massage Envy.  I know it may be too expensive for some but it's well worth it.  There is something about getting your circulation going and relaxing that helps you breathe better.  I hope you are better.  Oh, btw, when I started taking half my thyroid medicine in the am and half in the pm my tsh levels went to normal.  Weird I know but I was possibly forgetting to take my pills.
I wonder how many other women are going through this. I too have shortness of breath several days before my period that stops on my period! My Ob/GYN says it is hormonal. Although they don't really have any treatment, I find excercise like pilates helps tremendously. These episodes as you say can be very scarry and frustrating. I'm actually having trouble right now! I better do some pilates breathing and roll overs. Godd luck!

Kim

P.S.-It's not in our heads!
No, it certainly is not in our heads!
It's been driving me mad and always starts about a week before my period, so it must be related to PMS! In fact it's killing me right now as I'm due in a few days time. Just can't breath deep enough like fish out of water! Very frustrating. Thought it was asthma - my lungs are fine. Though was allergy - tried all anti allergy pills+steroid sprays - no use!
Maria
It's definitely not in your heads.  I suffer with the same thing, as does my mom and daughter.  I found out my grandmother had the same problem also.  Sounds genetic.  Mine started the year before my periods began.  The next couple of years were the worst (I guess my hormones were a mess then).  It seemed to level out after that and has always hit me since then right before my period.  It's driving me nuts right now.  I've asked doctors also and they are always stumped.  Nobody has ever heard of it.  I have had my hormone levels tested and have actually been put on hormone replacement therapy because I also suffer from a rash every month (which started after the birth of my first child) on top of the breathing problem.  It seems to have helped the rash some (not totally) but not the breathing problem.  It seems there has to be a doctor out there somewhere who knows something about this.  Maybe there is one who would like to research all of us and figure out what can be done.  I know there are many other women who suffer with this same problem.  
I was so glad to find these postings.  I have shortness of breath right before my period too.  This month it has been really bad and it really had me worried.  I even quit smoking!  (Of course that's a good thing).  I was convinced that I had COPD or worse.  It is really scary to not be able to take a deep breath and the more it happens the more I dwell on it.  There has to be some medical explanation for it.
Thanks to everyone for putting my mind to ease.
I thought I was crazy! I had shortness of breath when I was pregnant with my first child and did not know it. I am now on Clomid trying to get pregnant and have really bad shortness of breath the week before my period. No matter what the doctors say, these two examples are when there is an increase of hormones so it has to be related.
Thanks for sharing and making me feel sane!
Same here! I've been having that problem on and off before my period for years. I'm 42 now.....and it's NOT all in my head like my doc told me.
This is very interesting and I feel pretty in awh right now discovering all this time it is probably  related to hormones.  My thing is that I had'nt had a menstrual cycle since 2003 but in Aug. went on a very strict low carb diet and by end of Sept had dropped 20 lbs and low and behold my cycle started up again, and as always since, every 28 days I have had a very light cycle for 5-7 days.  This time I had very shortness of breath 3 days before. And between my husbands massage and a trip to the chiropractor I found some relief and of course when I started  the difficulty was completely was gone.  
I also have shortness of breath and it is getting worse as I approach menopause.  It's not anxiety apparently it is from too much estrogen.

I just started a taking a product called Estrosense.
ANd for some reason it is helping.
I also take niacin and evening primrose oil.

The reason, apparently, we are all loading up on the bad estrogen that is found in Coffee and plastic waters etc.
Warning: Plastic drip coffee makers may release harmful estrogens that cause hormonally driven cancers. This is because water is heated in plastic.

Many diet products contain soy protein and other estrogen-promoting ingredients that leave our bodies bloated and sick.
Pesticides on our foods mimic estrogen in our bodies.

So, to summarize... We have too much estrogen in our food!!!
Lumpy breasts, 1/3 of us will be getting breast cancer, and fibroids...
Shortness of breath -- too much estrogen...

Report Abuse
Hey yal glad I found this blog. I am having shortness of breath alot. The doc. said my lungs and heart and bloodpreasure are good.He just can't figure it out.I am 44 and my body is starting to change .He wants to do lung x-rays .But it sounds like this is not just me.Does it make anyone else tired.?
I too have shortness of breath that starts several days before my period starts. When it first started the shortness of breath lasted for a few weeks . I didn't have the problem again for months. The next time it happened it didn't go away
(which was months although the severity varied ) until I became pregnant with my last child. I didn't have the problem during pregnancy.

My period stayed away for sometime due to nursing. I still didn't have the shortness of breath once my periods returned. My daughter is close to weaning ,nursing only once or twice a day. The shortness of breath has returned....I'm thinking it's due to her nursing less. ...so to me it definately seems hormonal. Have any
of you found any help?
I've been to doctors and have found no answers.
I suffer from the same thing, where I can't seem to take a deep breath or get enough air.  I was having this problem today; I tried meditation, and it worked!  I meditated for about 45 minutes, repeating the mantra "so-hum" in my head (so on the inhale; hum on the exhale).  Just focus on your breath and the mantra, and if your mind wanders, gently bring it back to your breath.  Honestly, this works!!!!  And it also helps alleviate the other symptoms of pms as well.
I have chest tightness and shortness of breath in addition to other proplems asociated with PMS and Endometriosis when I ovulate and right before my period. I have had doctors tell me that this problem is anxiety and try to push anti-anxiety meds on me.  First of all, only a Psychologist or Psychiatrist should diagnose mental disorders and I don't even have an anxitey disorder.  I'm convinced it's hormonal.  I have read that oral contraceptives can help.
I'm so glad I found this post.  I was trying to find information on shortness of breath during PMS and I'm glad to hear that it's somewhat normal.  I can't get comfortable in bed right before my period due to chest tightness and shortness of breath.  I'm very active and a healthy weight.  I've also had EKGs and tests for asthma.  I even received an inhaler which I used once and never again.  Now I just lie still and try to relax knowing it will go away as soon as I start my period.  
Doctors also told me I was experiencing panic attacks.  It could be anxiety related to PMS.  I get spooked very easily and get the dropsies about a week before.  
I experience shortness of breath a day or two before I ovulate and a week before my period. I know my sister has it and my mom had it, so I am pretty sure its genetic... My mom always used to say that when ur body fills up with extra fluids due to increase of hormones some may fill up in your lungs. Therefore I believe we feel like we are breathing in a tank of water. We should just bare in mind that it is a major discomfort but we still breath normal. And it does go away when we start our flow, Best way to deal with it is just to distract yourself do something that makes you laugh. Watch a stand up comedy or any other entertaining show that makes you forget all about it. As women we have to live with so many discomforts and that every month until I guess we reach meno pause. Thats the price for being blessed with the gift of pushing out babies LOL. Just know your body and say to yourself I know what my body is going through now. Society may be ignorant but you are aware and know that you are not alone!
I am so happy I found this post - I have had this shortness of breath and tight feeling across for the last 4 months. I like alot of you have been told it was asthma, ultrasound and EKG of the heart, a CT scan to check my lungs and blood test and the last diagnosis I was told was that I had Gerd and the gerd and acid  was pushing up on my diaphram causing some pressure which gives me the feeling of "I can't breath", but sometimes you have to be your own Dr.  I started making a note and figured out that it was happening about a week before my period.  I am so glad I found this blog as I know now it's NOT IN MY HEAD.  I do find that keeping busy helps and I am going to try the exercise.

Kim S
Hi all!

So glad to have found this, as I suffer from this as well! It seems to be more common than I thought :D

I'll be taking this to forum to my gp visit and show him what he thinks, as I'm currently on valium and aropax because I got so out of breath at times that I would get the most intense anxiety/panic attacks. Whilst the panic has stopped, the shortness of breath is a pain. It's so bad right now and it's so relieving to know I won't be kneeling over and dying any time soon!
I have it too!  I was told "anxiety" by one doctor and "GERD" by another.  The shortness of breath has come a day or two before my period for about 6 months now, and it can last for a week.  I also sometimes get a feeling like my throat is closing and find it hard to swallow food.  Anyone else get that too?  I am 45 years old, so I honestly believe it is premenopausal and an imbalance of hormones.  I found this website which was very interesting:
http://robyinstitute.com/treatments/hormone_imbalance.htm
I started natural hormone therapy for PMS (and other reasons)  two years ago The doctor I went to had a more aggressive treatment than I felt necessary.  I switched docs and my new doctor said I was prescribed way to much progesterone. Pill form, cream and sometimes sub-lingual. Way too much (for my age 42) so I began to weaned myself off last year. Now I use only cream. Only the last three months have been a nightmare with shortness of breath in the last week or two of my cycle. I'm a soccer player and I play tennis and Volleyball and am in top shape.
Last time I had this it set my heart into arythmea. im experiencing it right now and im scared May not be able to play in my game tomorrow. can't live like this no answers with regular docs. Does anyone know could it be low in hormones or lacking???  
I have had the same thing since dec. I have been to the doctor freaking out hinking I am dying I have done a lung scan and been treated for broncitis WOW makes me feel a little less concerned that I am not alone. But what is it I live in a tiny town and they are clueless
I am a healthy 25 yr old female.  I am glad to have found this forum. I have always had really bad PMS symptoms and everyone around me knows when my period is coming except for me because it never comes at the same time. Sometimes it comes after 28 days other times 47 days...Last Feb I began to get shortness of breath, chest tightness, and became lightheaded. Since my period is irregular I never kept track of my cycle and the first time this happened I thought I was having a heart attack at 24! haha :) so I ended up in the ER with a panic attack and a 115 hear rate. Once they checked my heart and lungs and told me my oxygen saturation is fine, I calmed down but the shortness of breath remained. Then low and behold my period came the next day, heavy with thumb sized clots. I have gone the doc several times to see if the breathing issue had something to do with my cycle, they ran tests and said no, it's because im depressed and anxious (this a common diagnosis for military wifes at the Navy hospital). Went to many many docs, lots of test, xrays, scans, the conclusion was GERD. I tried the pills, the diet, still have this problem from time to time.  Recently I began to record the days i feel this way and have discovered that it comes during ovulation and a week or two before my period which is 2 to 3 weeks out of the month! I wish I had tracked it earlier but my cycle is so out of control, I didn't think it would work.  I feel bad for all of you because I know how annoying this condition is but I feel better knowing that I am not alone. Thank you.
Wow, I too am a fellow suffer! Seems to have started after my daughter was born and am no longer on birth control and my periods are heavier and more painful and add to it the shortness of breath. Cheers all!
I never had these symptoms until I went on a strict diet to reduce my weight some 8 years ago. I am 37 now. And though I had lost 20 pounds then, and have packed them all back again, I was left with these symptoms to handle. Just like the others I did the rounds of all the doctors and all possible tests trying to figure out what causes the shortness of breath and came up with no answers. I figured it out myself that they start around 1 week before my period, then go away, and then return for about 3 - 5 days after my period. The discomfort is so actue that I am unable to speak with colleagues, participate in meetings or attend to important things at work. Then about 3 years ago, I got involved in yoga and breathing exercises. One of the exercises is to exhale fully and forcefully. Then just hold your breath without inhaling until your head starts throbbing and you start feeling faint. At this point allow yourself a deep breath. Feels like some block in your chest just got cleared. Repeat this for about 3 - 4 times if you are having a really bad time. I will not say it will solve your problem, but it does give a temporary respite from the tightness.
I also experience shortness of breath before my period. I am in shape and exercise every day but the week before my cycle I get out of breath just going down the stairs. I am also on medication for hypothyroidism. I am going to work with a new doctor and am praying they can help with this condition.
Just wanted to say I'm thrilled to see this topic as well!  This has been happening to me for the last couple of years.  Nearly every month, in the week before my period, my normal walk around our neighborhood leaves me sucking for air.  Just today (first day of my period, though it hasn't kicked in full force yet, and it's two days early which always throws my chemical balance off) it was so bad after trying the first big hill in the neighborhood, I just had to creep my way home with several stops.  Normally, I do this walk daily without a problem.  Once whatever hormone shift is necessary shifts back, I can take the same walk and it's a breeze.  And this ONLY ever happens in the week before my period.  I'm a 37 year old, generally healthy, though I do have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I've seen a cardiologist, had an EKG, Echocardiagram, etc., all fine.  My mother has had similar symptoms all her life as well.  I HAS to be a hormone thing.  It is most definitely NOT a panic attack.  Panic has never been so organized.:)
i am so glad i found this post! i get a tight chest for about two days when i ovulate and then a week before my period. It is so uncomfortable and i went to accident and emergency with it! My doctor looks at me as though i am mad! Sometimes it really scared me but i have to remind myself that it is hormonal, I have only had it since having my son 7 months ago.
Glad to have read about this post! I too suffers from this and I guess the most severe of all cases.  Before I menstruate, I am super dizzy, lightheaded, short of breath for almost all the time, and this somehow gets better at the first day of my period, but these symptoms stay all months, and these have been occuring almost years already. I am so desperate already especially hearing doctors opinion that it's anxiety!!!!!! Hope to hear answers from you ALL, hope to hear remedies not the same problems again...
This is a great forum to make us shortofbreath folks understand we are not crazy, depressed, having anxiety, etc.  My daughter (15) and I suffer from this anywhere from 3 days to a week before we start. Thanks all for your input, now knowing there are more sufferers I can relax and "breath" through this part of the month - hopefully. ;-)
I have been getting shortness of breath and chest tightness too for the last few months for a few days before my period. It is anxiety. I dont know why people are so against the idea that it is anxiety. You can get help if you accept it. The linden method and meditation, yoga and massage help as does distraction. These are very common symptoms of anxiety and it is nothing to be ashamed of. Anxiety is an extremely common problem and can be cured. Dont take anxiety medication though read the linden method and drink camomile tea and dont think about it. Hope this helps:)
I am so thankful that I am not lone.  All this time I thought I must be imagining this symptom.  I have to disagree with cuties 27253.  I am NOT have anxiety attacks...and if I was I would NOT be ashamed to admit it.  I have very low stress level, I work out at least 4 times a week, and am a fairly happy woman.  I have seen anxiety attacks (I work with 9th grade girls...lol) and have seen the symptoms/signs.  

This sounds more like a hormonal imbalance that all of us are suffering from.  If it was anxiety, it would not strike at the same time every month (1 wk to days prior to a menstrual cycle).   Anxiety is brought on by outside forces, and unless every woman on this blog is being consumed by serious issues 1 week prior to menstrual cycle, anxiety does not pan out.  

Maybe if we all speak to our Dr's and make them understand that this is not an Anxiety issue, maybe we can get a study done to help identify the problem and hopefully help more women with the same issue.

Thanks ladies for all your recommendations on easing the suffering (yoga, breathing, etc...).  I will implement these into my everyday routine during my PMS.

welli do hav the same problems as all of u but my shortness of breath comes the first day of my period and lasts all day i hyperventelate lots of time during the 1st day sum times 2...i felt super irratable yesterday b 4 i started but i just had my period 2 weeks ago..so im all 4 the hormones bein crazy but dont no what 2 do just relax and hope it ebds soo or do i take a xanax..cause like most of you they say its a anxiety attack..so has any1 found a solution 2 these horrible problems? mabey hormone pills?
Hi!
I also suffer from shortness of breath shortly before and during my period.
This is my theory and how I help myself:
I am 47 years old, have Hashimoto thyroiditis and have been taking
high doses of medication for hypothyroid for 2,5 years now. Along with
the Hashimoto I developed estrogen dominance and treat this
with natural progesterone cream in the second half of my cycle. The natural progesterone also supports the absorption of my thyroid medication. I don't take progesterone because my doc recommends it. I did the research and helped myself. If you only rely on your doctor, you are lost!!!! The natural progesterone works magic. 2-3 days before my period is due I have to stop using the progesterone. This is when I am short of breath... my Gyno doesn't have a clue why... but I do. It is due to the sudden drop of estrogen and progesterone before, during and shortly after your period. But mainly it is due to the low progesterone. Estrogen is produced in several parts of the
body, progesterone only after you have ovulated. Low progesterone (or higher or unbalanced estrogen due to lack of progesterone) causes the red blood cells to transport less oxygen. Which makes you short of breath. If I feel this coming on during my period I use just a teeny amount of topical progesterone cream and it works wonders.I can breathe much easier. Progesterone is small doses is also recommended for PMS. I can only speak for myself but I would
be lost without my progesterone. I have a bottle at home, one in my work bag. If I need it, it's close by. No more mental fogginess, no bloating and my memory works much better when I use it. My vision is improved. My mood is great and I can be an  active person even through perimenopause... progesterone really makes me feel in control... and not like I'm losing it. After all, we women have enough on our plates with working, kids etc. and really don't need this aggrevation of not only not feeling well but also being misunderstood. A lot of OBGYNs need to absolutely look into this more and stop treating their patients like panicky, hysterical hypochondriacs. Natural progesterone as a cream (NOT to be confused with Progestin as in the pill) can be bought by many suppliers on the web. Good luck to all of you. But remember, it has to be Natural Progesterone which is bioidentical to the progesterone in your body.
I understand you. :-)
Thank you, thank you; glad to know I am not mad and others are experiencing the same symptoms. My shortness of breath started in July, coinciding with me and partner trying to get pregnant. Before then we were using contraception (condoms and withdrawal) and shortness of breath was not an issue for me, didn't have it. But every month since July now, two weeks into my cycle (after ovulation) I get shortness of breath, which goes at the onset of my period. I am having it even now. Please let me know if health experts finally recognise it as a real issue that many women are facing.
Omg I'm having the same problems..whats going on with me and yes i feel the same way when my period is about to start..this is such a bad feeling but I'm happy that its just not me feeling crazy!!
I'm so glad I found this post too. I started experiencing this shortness of breath symptom after my second child was born. It was a difficult birth and I lost a lot of blood. I absolutely never had shortness of breath before this. I went to the doctor and it turned out I had extremely low iron levels. He prescribed iron pills and I felt better almost at once, but most months just before my period I still feel short of breath. My iron levels are ok now, but my iron reserves are still low. I think the shortness of breath may be due to hormonal fluctuations, but I wonder if anyone else experiencing this has suffered from anaemia in the past? Also, is there no cure at all? I don't want this to be a monthly event for the rest of my life ...
Thanks so much for your explanation about hormones unbalanced,i was just doing ok over the summer last year,but started winter this year i having so much problem with my periods,im 37 years old and im pretty much in good health (just had an early stage of Celiac),warm feelings on back of my head,bloating, a light pain on both of my breast,tightness dowm my throath weird vision,weird moods,and this shortness of breath days before period begins,sometimes i think im having a silent heart attack,because i get a mild pain between my breast,i had going to my doc.and he put me on Birth Control(try cyclen lo) this is my 2 month on it to help with the heavy flow and blood cloth,i get worried all the time and i even afraid to go back on the gym,I wonder can you find this progesterone cream over the counter???.I done all kind of test and it all look normal,i have and uterus and ovariun ultrasound app soon this week to check for abnormality,im desperated to find help,mydoc think im going crazy,every month im afraid of this PMS things,i feel like going for Hysterectomy,but if this is hormonal problem it will probably will never end until menopause.im so glad to find this forum,thanks god im not alone on this.please keep posting experiences and anything that helps with this,because is not nice to suffer like this every month
I absolutely agree with Jeannie47. Any woman who feels this uncomfortable shortness of breath in relation to their menstrual cycle should consider the use of natural progesterone cream. No matter what age!

I have researched this condition intensely for the past two years because I am a fellow sufferer. I too, as many of you, have ended up in the ER; I’ve continuously went to my doctors asking questions---even presenting scholarly articles on pre-menstrual asthma and hormone related breathing issues; Unfortunately no one seems to know anything about this condition. I too was tested for asthma, pulmonary embolism, myasthenia gravis; you name it I was tested for it. I was even mistakenly told that I could have pulmonary hypertension; I’m 29 for crying out loud!

For a long time I considered giving up. I came very close to giving in to the anti-depressants, the anti-anxiety, and the steroid inhalers----all the junk they want to give you that only masks the underlying problem.  However, I persisted and have finally discovered some answers. I will share what I have learned.

I’ve learned that this breathing issue that only surfaces around my menstrual cycle is very likely due to the drop in progesterone that initiates ovulation.  Correcting estrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency may fix the shortness of breath. I have learned that progesterone is a very important steroid hormone and is the precursor to many other important steroid hormones in the body.

This is what I have done to relieve my pre-menstrual breathing problems:  1. **Began using natural progesterone cream (I get the compounded form but you can also by it over the counter just make sure it says USP progesterone and that there are no forms of estrogens in it, use it as directed on the jar) 2. High quality fish oil supplement (helps with inflammation, and seriously it works) 3. B-complex vitamin 4. Vitamin C supplement (these vitamins help the adrenal glands which produce other steroid hormones including small amounts of progesterone)

I can only tell you what has helped me. I urge anyone who is suffering with this condition to educate themselves. It is unfortunate and upsetting that most all heath care providers have no knowledge of this condition or how to treat it. I have spent a lot of time and a lot of money trying to figure this out and I most definitely would say that natural progesterone plays a very large part in correcting it.
thanks so much for your post,,,,,is so uncortable all of this,but im on birth control,,Can you still use the cream beside it???  thanks
According to what I have read and the advice of my obgyn dr. it is not a good idea to take the cream while on birth control.

My advice is to get off the birth control, it is all synthetic and foreign to the body, and it actually suppresses the hormones your body makes naturally. I was on bc for a while before I started the cream...The day that I stopped taking my bc I started the cream. At first it was a little scary; my symptoms came back a bit, however after 2-3 weeks I felt really good and was very pleased that I could control my symptoms naturally.

My opinion is that birth control just messed my hormones up even more.
I hope this helps you.
I also have shortness of breath before my period. I am also extremely tired. I get worn out even just giving my dog a bath and I have to sit down. When my period comes then I am ok. I also want to clean my house in the days before my period, but then with the shortness of breath I have to sit down. I wish someone would find a cure or explanation for this!
thanks a bunch for the information,,,i just having my cycle while typing and is not as heavy as before,but still had the breathing problem and lots of light head pression ,is just annoying,but i will buy the cream and go natural,,,thanks againg  from Canada
i actually got chunks all day today comming out,from my cycle,,,is very weakness and upseting,and still with the breathing problem,,,,what a deal every month,i going to give my BC sometimes to see if anything changes.good luck to all the women in here going throught the same problem.
im so happy to have read every bodys posts here i thought i was going crazy its so good to know im not alone in this!! the shortness of breath has just started for me in the last 4-5months always 2-5 days before my period starts then stops once i start except for last month when it continued for a couple of days after as well!! sometimes my heart races & beats faster i have had it checked & all ok. i also had really big clots & bad pain when passing. i also had chest pain & extreme fatigue too where i just have to rest until it all passes last month it took about a week after my flow stopped to feel normal again i also get bad pms & anxiety before & during my period i have also been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome & POCS syndrome i really think it is hormonal related. i also seem to have thrush all the time no matter what i do to treat it it keeps coming back!! & it is frustrating that no doctors seem to know anything about it!!! they just put it all down to anxiety which is bull!!! i hope to find out a soultion to this problem im going to see my gyno tomorrow & will mention the natural progestrone cream as sounds like it worth a try
Thanks for all the comments....  even though it feels better to not be the only one who is experiencing this..... it ***** because I can't take much more of this....  I have been going through this for almost a year... been to the e.r. for what I thought was a heart attack.  nope...  I have been to my family doctor and he told me it was gerd... I was put on nexium that seemed to help alot ( or so I thought)  and then it got worse AGAIN right before my period.....  Last night was real bad...  thinking you are about to die and not make it through the night....  I can't take much more of this and need help figuring out what I am suppose to do!?!?!?!?!   thought asthma.... thought i had lung cancer.... heart attack.... hell I even went as far to think I was allergic to gluten... but nope.... does anyone else have nauseu with it as well???  I don't know if the breathing issue is just has me so worried that I am making myself sick......  I have found that sometimes when I make myself "burp"  it does help?!?!?!  
I think first and foremost, one should look at their diet .  American diets are based on high fat, sugar, and sodium.  Not including, chemicals from pesticides and plastics.  As a sufferer of hormonal inbalance during my before & during my periods I have re-examined my food intake choices.  Did you know that women in Japan do not suffer from menopause symptoms?  It is suggested that their diet it the reason for this.  I agree with JKristina that supplements should be added to daily, but also suggest: no eating out (especially fast-food) watch salt intake, increase whole-grains, veggies, and fruits.  Add nuts, seeds and soy products.  Watch meat portion intake.  And when possible buy organic....google top ten food to buy organic....this will help pick foods to choose.  Also, do not store or microwave you food in plastic containers that contain bisphenol a (bpa).  American's need to demand food industries increase their standards in products and get back to the basics without unnecessarily adding chemicals, pesticides, high fructose corn syrup, methowhoknowswhattritoxins, etc.....    This is not about elimination of foods you like, just a change in how they are prepared and a process of finding what works for you!
hi you sound alot like i used to and i suffered for over ten years permant shortness of breath, doctors tell you its in your head !! i took myself to a private allergy doctor he told me to go on the stone age diet and rotate my food so everything i eat is not eaton again for 4 days....it was easy for me to do this diet religiously as i was so desperate!! i also cut out onions as i noticed they brought it on ...anyway i tried everything going over ten years and this diet worked slowly then one day you can breath again ....yes sometimes during my period it comes back but a week i can handle ...please go on this diet it does work !!!
I am hypothyroid & my TSH is around little higher 7.64. And my period is not a fix date. all time it is happnes before date. I also suffering from shortness of breath. Mainly in evening. All test are normal.i.e chest xray, PFT, CRP. My ESR is higher i.e. 74. My doctor says it bcoz of hormonal imbalance. Is there any natural remedy to overcome this ??
I too am so glad I finally found this post.
I had shortness of breath during my entire first pregnancy but it went away after my son was born.  
About a year and a half ago it came back.  When it first started again, it was daily and really bad for a while.  The doctor thought asthma but inhalers did not help and my oxygen and x-rays were fine.  I went to the chiropractor which did help. I still don't know what that episode was about but since it seems to always come back a few days before my cycle begins.  Going to the chiropractor does seem to help a little, not back to normal but it does help.  It is tiring, very tiring.  I think we need to tell our doctors about this post.  They all seem to think it is in our heads, and obviously it is not!    
OMG. I have had this since FOREVER. Over the last year and a half as my period became less frequent (am 49) I stoped having the problem. Then my period became "regular" again over the last two months and boy is it back. I have asthma, too, but my inhaler almost makes it worse! When are they going to really, REALLY study the affects of hormones on wome?. You read bits and pieces of studies that say hormones affect gall bladder disease, colon cancer and a host of other health issues! Mine bothers me when I ovulate and then again for the first few days of my period. AM having it now and know that the anxiety of having it makes it even worse...
I have been having shortness of breath during and/or just before my period for the past six months as well.  I did a bit of research and I think that the shortness of breath may be caused by catamenial asthma.  Catamenial asthma is asthma that is associated with your menstrual cycle.  Though the precise cause is unclear, there are various theories about how hormonal fluctuations may cause shortness of breath.  There is more information about catamenial or premenstrual asthma here: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/158/13/1405.  This article was published in JAMA, a highly reputed medical journal, so it's worth reading and talking to your doctor about.

Hope this helps!
I am so happy I just found this. I was having a terrible day today - period is starting and the inability to catch my breath has caused fear and worry, lots of anxiety. The anxiety is just the result of not being able to breathe right, it's not the cause, I am convinced. Because most other days of the month I am totally confident and in control. You're all right - how can I have once a month panic attacks, right on schedule?  Doesn't make sense. Now I just have to decide what to do. I tried progesterone cream a long time ago and I don't recall any miracles.

One thing I'm seeing as a common thread here is that those of you who experience the shortness of breath are also hypothyroid. So am I, for the last 12 years. I'm 39, not ready for menopause yet.  But anyway, I bet the thyroid issue has something to do with it. My meds are at a good level and the rest of the month, I have no issues.

Thanks for your stories. Even though I am having trouble breathing all day today, I feel a little calmer now for reading this and knowing so many suffer from the same thing. I am not going to die or have my life be run by this weird anxiety that's developed from the breathing problem.
Reading this made me cry! I thought I was crazy!! Now I know it happens to a lot of women. Thanks for sharing!
this happens to me every month a week before my period.today i got my period and i have once more confirmed my theory that doctors refuse aswell. my dispnea starts a week before and clears out with the first flow. because doctors dont accept this, every month i get paranoid like" maybe i have a tumor, maybe i m allergic to my cat, maybe is a chest infection...and so on. i m constantly on the internet looking for similar symptoms hoping that is nothing related to the worst illness. and after a week of browsing the internet in search of answer my period starts and once again i end up blaming it. looks like the only answer. i also have type one diabetes and also a week before my blood sugars raise to the stars along with dispnea and i always think" this time i m gonna die" but i never die and just get the period. the dispnea is always at its worst in the morning as i get out from my bed. i try to cough but nothing seems to calm down the shortness of breath. last week i sat on my bed about half an hour thinking that i would died soffocated. after half an hour i started to prepare my son for school. on the way to the school i was walking like a fish would walk on land. its been an horrible experience, the worste since my symptoms have started. so is not in your head and we all know enough about it. i just would like to know if this could actually kill us in some extreme situation or not and i dont understand why this doesn t get investigate better from researchers to improve our lifestyle in those days instead of deny our condition.
I too am glad I found this topic while doing a search on Google. I am 45 and get enough aerobic exercise for my age and walk a lot and without fail, about a week or so before my period starts, I feel short of breath. I really never noticed this until about four months ago. I also live a mile above sea level and didn't notice this that much when I was at a lower elevation a few months ago. But it's been concerning as I started wondering if there is something wrong with my heart. I also have severe premenstrual fatigue and depression, along with worsening menstrual cramps over the past so many months as well. I went to go get it all checked and a University Hospital didn't do anything to help me. So I am going to keep going to people until someone can at least do a good blood workup on me. Last time I was checked for thyroid it was fine. I wonder if it has to do with inflammation. I will post back if I get any good info on my situation or a clue from a doctor as to why this is for enough of us women.
Thank you for posting what you did about catamenial asthma. I never heard of it but as for my best guest, I figured it has something to do with inflammation. I live in a high altitude, high pollution city as well and I have become to wonder. I also have premenstrual allergies a lot - sneezing mainly. This is one of the reasons I feel I need a good endocrine workup that no one seems to want to do. Just wanted me to take massive amounts of Ibu before and during menses and some Prozac.

From the link I have posted below this paragraph:

"Speculated mechanisms besides a ß2-receptor link for estrogen's effect in asthma include, but are not limited to, an inhibitory effect on corticosteroid metabolism,[138] antiinflammatory properties,[139] up-regulation of the transcription of nitric oxide synthase,[140] and antioxidant properties.[140] We are currently validating our observations in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized crossover trial and evaluating the effects of estradiol on asthma symptoms, pulmonary function, quality of life, and various biochemical markers of airway inflammation."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409544_11
I have been waking from sleep because of shortness of breath before my period for YEARS.  I am 48 and it started in my late twenties, but progressively has gotten worse as I've gotten older and likely because I am reaching menopause within the next decade or less.

I went to the doctor over this summer to get a hysterectomy to alleviate my horrendous PMS, and he said "no, you're healthy and I won't give you a hysterectomy.  So you have a really bad case of PMS!  It's not uncommon, so I think in your case it's better if you just deal with it."

Of course a male doctor WOULD say that - but I guess I will wait it out...  all PMS symptoms are crazy. In fact, people think I am a homicidal maniac about a week before and I recluse as I cannot sleep.  It has caused problems with jobs, etc.  Let's hope in the future doctors will NOT say it's in our heads, or panic attacks (I agree, that's rubbish)..and they will actually do research to find a way to assuage the horrible symptoms.   I am a firm believer that some women kill because of hormonal problems.  Not all, of course.  Some people - women included - are just sadistic psychopaths.  However, some women become impulsive and enraged during menses...not a good combination.  It's time the medical establishment did something about this before it's too late.
Hi I'd just like to ask which contraceptive pill all you guys are on because I have also noticed these symptoms that you are all explaining and was so pleased to come across this page because I thought I was going mad!  As well as shortness of breath I feel really irritable pretty much all the time now! (anyone else??)  The only thing I can think that has been different since these symptoms have started occuring is that my doctor put me on YASMIN contraceptive pill when I was on LOGYNON before.  I am a healthy 31 year old woman with a 9 year old boy and have always been on Logynon since I was 16 (apart from when I was trying for my son of course!)  The only reason my doctor changed it is because he said that that was the most popular one now and they are trying to get everyone on it, however since then I have shortness of breath, irritablility and sore boobs.  I will be going back to change it.  But am interested to see if the contraceptive pill has anything to do with it as they do have hormones in them I think.  Any one else on yasmin or had a similar experience I'd be really interested to know xx
I'm so happy I found this post. I have same problem, shortness of breath before and sometimes while period. docs say it's panic attacks not connecting this might have a relation to hormones changing. obviously it is..
Thank you
Wow I'm not the only one!! Thank goodness!!
I too have this shortness of breath either before, during or just after my periods and then it seems to go so there has to be a hormonal link??
It's just so frustrating and worrying at times not to mention horrible and uncomfortable!!
The first time I ever experienced the shortness of breath feeling was in my third pregnancy and just after giving birth to my daughter it was quite bad!!!  
I know its not in my head! And its not anxiety or depression which the doctors seem to put everything down to that they have no idea about!!  Would be great if someone did some research on this as Iam tired of feeling this way....
I have this to mine is very severe started during mold poisoning. starts around ovulation lasts all day. the day before my period its so bad i cant even get my breath at all. then i start my period and its gone for 3-4 days during this time i feel fantastic, normal almost. then the day it ends bam right back into the depths of hell! I have a lot of pain in my neck and excessive mucos in my throat. This condition is called vocal cord dysfunction, my lungs are fine but not being able to breath is from the vocal cords i havnt seen anyone saw vocal cords so i wanted to mention this that this is where you are feeling the trouble breathing. I am 30 I have pcos dx in my early 20s i had lyme disease in 06 and then mold and then this its horrible some days i dont want to live. I cant drive or take care of my kids because i cant breath. the 3 or 4 days i have are amazing and am totally functional. I cant get any drs to help me they tell me its anxiety. i think the winning quote from all ive read here is "anxiety is not this organized" how true that statement is. natural medicine saved mylife from lyme and mold so thats the direction im going to take with juicing and trying to detox this estrogen out, detox with sauna and cleaning up my surrounding including smells anything with a frangrance down to shampoo effects estrogen levels get rid of anything with frangrance for a few months and make your home safe and see if it helps. I have had this for almost two years im loosing hope but know in my heart there is an answer if anyone has found anything please post here.
wow, I too have the same problem. I had sports induced asthma ages ago, but it resolved.  But after having pneumonia last July, it is back.(was tested by my pulmonologist)  But now, I can now workout again without much of an issue except that week before  my period like everyone else, bam it hits, I can't even carry up a load of laundry without having Shortness of breath.  While working out today, I was dying, which is not normal. I'm going to try to use my inhaler prior to working out during pms :)
This is amazing to find I am not the only one who has suffered with shortness of breath episodes for years!  These attacks always occurred a few days before my period.
At about the age of 43, while entering peri-menopause, the attacks were often debilitating and embarrassing as people would literally ask me if I was ok.
I had every test in the book.  But, nothing showed up.  
I figure I'd be dead by now if it was a cardiac problem or some blockage.
Now, at age 49 and full on menopausal,  these attacks are frequent and intense...then they go away...then they come back.
I am choking and yawning, desperately trying to get a good even breath.  This is often accompanied with a feeling of bloat and fullness, especially after eating even small amounts of food.  
I am convinced it is hormone related, but no doctor will confirm.  
Here's my advice...stay away from coffee...not caffeine, but coffee specifically.
Thank god i found this blog...I am also suffering shortness of breath before & during my periods.
I saw Dr they did also testing including lung X ray & they said its panic attack & its in my head.I was very worried about this.
But it is not ..now from all posting i realized that it is a common symptom during period time.
Now i am looking for some natural way(Yoga/meditation) to get rid from this.
so pl post if you know something.
okay so there are far too many women who experience this for it to be a fluke. personally i noticed that i had difficulty breathing unless i was fully and completely relaxed, and the minute my heart rate rose above drowsing (meaning anytime i stood up or reclined in a different position) i could feel my chest trying to tighten as if i couldn't get the breath into my lungs. it started a day before my cycle began, and i noticed that this happened before as well. the reason i paid more attention this time is because this is my first period in awhile, and i didn't experience it at all while on birth control. so i truly do think it is hormonal, a kind of balancing act that our bodies are trying to figure out. i went for a run this morning and wasn't able to continue like i normally would because i couldn't get enough oxygen to my legs and began to get dizzy. this happened before, and my doctor concluded it was a form of workout induced asthma. as someone who experienced an asthma attack and a panic attack, i knew that this was different.

thankfully, i am a martial artist and have studied breathing for years, which helps me through the random breathing shortages. i've added intense yoga and slow stretching after every single workout, which combined with healthy eating (and no milk!) keeps me able to control my breath. my suggestion to the ladies would be make sure to be regularly active, even if it is just a half hour of light cardio every day. this will help your heart function better on the abnormal amounts of oxygen it's receiving, and as a bonus it helps with PMS as well :)
wow!! I have just started having SOB before my period in the last year..(I'm freakin" 50!). It's annoying. I take prednisone 20 mg for those couple days and it loosens me up. I just started on thyroid meds last week....my levels were borderline low..i wonder if that's the connection....

Anyway, try prednisone ..it is the oddest thing. I develped Asthma last year ...that's when this started....weird, weird, weird...
Hi Kristina and other friends,

I am aslo a recent sufferer of breathlessness and just searching frantically to find some solution.I am 29 long term PCOD sufferer having 2 year's'old kid,was on BC upto a month before.Recently I stopped taking BC and before getting my periods I had symptoms of hear attack.Even my periods are over still finding difficult to breath. Have to take long breath yawn frequently to make comfortable.I am just loosing very positive thought in me.
I have all other symptoms of low progestrone like - blurred vision,hot flushes,dryness etc.
I have got an appointment with an endochronologist soon.
Please help!!
I have this same issue but started taking multi-symptom pamprin at the onset of symptoms and everyday until my period starts and it is much better.
Same problem and I am starting to connect the dots. It has been bad last two days and bammm I start today. I feel great today with no issues. Everyone tells me it's panic/anxiety. The feeling does make me anxious and I have started to panic over it but ithe actual feeling of shortness of breath comes out of the blue and not anxiety driven-especially when I am laying down trying to relax. At least we know we are not alone.
Thank You for your post, this sounds like good results to me.
wow i cant believe it i thought i was crazy, but just like clock work, a week before i start my period, i start with the tiredness, short of breath, im just mad at everyone and then the leg cramps, hot flashes and then night sweats so bad that i have to get up and change clothes in the middle of the night i have had so much blood work done, test x-rays that i had started to get worried that i was gonna get cancer from the x-rays lol everything is great no issues except that i have gained about 30 pounds in the past 2 years (quit smoking) cause of the shortness of breath ohhhhh and did i mention that i also have irregular heartbeat during this week too....i use to panick when this would start, all the yawning and carring on i just knew i was gonna die lol and i think thats why they all say its panick attacks cause after this starts we do panick and feak out and it makes it all the worse im gonna try the all natural cream to see if it helps me out any the one thing that i have decided to do is look at this as a sort of a blessing cause now i know that im getting ready to start and not to have sex, not on bc and im 41 and i also have a 5 year old lol it helps to know that im not dieing right this min and that in a few days it will go away that helps when i start to panick about it and like today decide to look once again on the internet about hormones and shortness of breath lol it ***** and i really hope this cream helps, i hate hate, hate feeling this way but it does help not to get all worked up about it and cause ourselves a panick attack i will let yall know how i do and im so glad for this blog im glad to know that im not alone :) xxxx
We are all in the same boat! In fact i am having the problem as i am writing this. Today is the 12th day of this breathing difficulty + dizzy spell + blocked ears and my menses is overdue for 3 days now. Always happens 7 to 12 days before menses. Extremely frustrating! I have checked my heart and am taking anxiety pills, so these should not be the cause. What i find helpful is keep yourself busy and not focus on it. That's all you can do i guess. Take care.
I remembered something about hormones during pregnancy causing me shortness of breath.  When I went searching I found this (and progesterone is highest about a week before your period starts):

"Apart from the pressure, the other cause for many pregnant women to be out of breath during pregnancy revolves around progesterone. This is a hormone that is present during pregnancy and is important in maintaining the pregnancy. It however does have a laxative effect on your muscles especially those which support the lungs. This means that the muscles will be lying on the lungs making it expansion harder. This hormone also greatly changes carbon dioxide sensitivity leading to the shortness of breath during this period."

http://www.howmanyweekspregnantamicalculator.com/why-are-most-women-out-of-breath-during-pregnancy.html

Since your last post have you tried progesterone? It appears that progesterone raises gaba. So if you are low in progesterone, you might be low in gaba which might cause the feeling of tightness in the chest and shortness of breath. Please let me know if you tried it and it worked.
I have been suffering from shortness of breath--difficulty taking a deep breath--between the time of ovulation and shortly before my period begins, for the past several years. I am 42 years old and in otherwise perfect health. I went to a cardiologist who said it is hormonal. Same story as the rest of you all. Glad to know this is much more prevalent, but surprised there is not more i formation or general knowledge about it among physicians who tell us to merely breathe into a paper bag,
Same thing with me for the last two years. I only went to ER once, Halloween 2012..it was real bad that night.. Told me it was anxiety. I knew it wasen't. How can you be sitting watching tv and BAM your breath "catches". Very scary which could throw you into panic/anxiety attack but initial problem NOT anxiety. I sometimes have issues real bad when going to bed. So bad I have slept up right in a chair, scared out of my mind. One thing I have found that helps, and pardon my honesty, is orgasm. If I am having issues I do this and the next day I have no issues. It has to be hormones. I just got insured and going to get bloodwork done. Good luck ladies

I couldn't agree more with your comments!!  I too suffer with shortness of breath and heart palpatations a week before my period every month.  Im not overweight or unwell and I definitely do NOT suffer with panic attacks.  I don't feel panicked...I simply cannot catch my breath.  Its reassuring to know I'm not the only one either.  I reckon you're right and it must be hormonal.