Shortness of breath with PMS
I'll make this short, but since the birth of my child...3 years ago, I have been getting shorth of breath about a week before I start my period. My GYN says he has never heard of this and he thinks it is all in my mind. Of course it isn't! Anyway, I am a healthy 34 year old. The only medical problem I have is hypothyroidism and I am taking medication for it. Thank you for your time.
im so happy to have read every bodys posts here i thought i was going crazy its so good to know im not alone in this!! the shortness of breath has just started for me in the last 4-5months always 2-5 days before my period starts then stops once i start except for last month when it continued for a couple of days after as well!! sometimes my heart races & beats faster i have had it checked & all ok. i also had really big clots & bad pain when passing. i also had chest pain & extreme fatigue too where i just have to rest until it all passes last month it took about a week after my flow stopped to feel normal again i also get bad pms & anxiety before & during my period i have also been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome & POCS syndrome i really think it is hormonal related. i also seem to have thrush all the time no matter what i do to treat it it keeps coming back!! & it is frustrating that no doctors seem to know anything about it!!! they just put it all down to anxiety which is bull!!! i hope to find out a soultion to this problem im going to see my gyno tomorrow & will mention the natural progestrone cream as sounds like it worth a try
Thanks for all the comments....  even though it feels better to not be the only one who is experiencing this..... it ***** because I can't take much more of this....  I have been going through this for almost a year... been to the e.r. for what I thought was a heart attack.  nope...  I have been to my family doctor and he told me it was gerd... I was put on nexium that seemed to help alot ( or so I thought)  and then it got worse AGAIN right before my period.....  Last night was real bad...  thinking you are about to die and not make it through the night....  I can't take much more of this and need help figuring out what I am suppose to do!?!?!?!?!   thought asthma.... thought i had lung cancer.... heart attack.... hell I even went as far to think I was allergic to gluten... but nope.... does anyone else have nauseu with it as well???  I don't know if the breathing issue is just has me so worried that I am making myself sick......  I have found that sometimes when I make myself "burp"  it does help?!?!?!  
I think first and foremost, one should look at their diet .  American diets are based on high fat, sugar, and sodium.  Not including, chemicals from pesticides and plastics.  As a sufferer of hormonal inbalance during my before & during my periods I have re-examined my food intake choices.  Did you know that women in Japan do not suffer from menopause symptoms?  It is suggested that their diet it the reason for this.  I agree with JKristina that supplements should be added to daily, but also suggest: no eating out (especially fast-food) watch salt intake, increase whole-grains, veggies, and fruits.  Add nuts, seeds and soy products.  Watch meat portion intake.  And when possible buy organic....google top ten food to buy organic....this will help pick foods to choose.  Also, do not store or microwave you food in plastic containers that contain bisphenol a (bpa).  American's need to demand food industries increase their standards in products and get back to the basics without unnecessarily adding chemicals, pesticides, high fructose corn syrup, methowhoknowswhattritoxins, etc.....    This is not about elimination of foods you like, just a change in how they are prepared and a process of finding what works for you!
hi you sound alot like i used to and i suffered for over ten years permant shortness of breath, doctors tell you its in your head !! i took myself to a private allergy doctor he told me to go on the stone age diet and rotate my food so everything i eat is not eaton again for 4 days....it was easy for me to do this diet religiously as i was so desperate!! i also cut out onions as i noticed they brought it on ...anyway i tried everything going over ten years and this diet worked slowly then one day you can breath again ....yes sometimes during my period it comes back but a week i can handle ...please go on this diet it does work !!!
I am hypothyroid & my TSH is around little higher 7.64. And my period is not a fix date. all time it is happnes before date. I also suffering from shortness of breath. Mainly in evening. All test are normal.i.e chest xray, PFT, CRP. My ESR is higher i.e. 74. My doctor says it bcoz of hormonal imbalance. Is there any natural remedy to overcome this ??
I too am so glad I finally found this post.
I had shortness of breath during my entire first pregnancy but it went away after my son was born.  
About a year and a half ago it came back.  When it first started again, it was daily and really bad for a while.  The doctor thought asthma but inhalers did not help and my oxygen and x-rays were fine.  I went to the chiropractor which did help. I still don't know what that episode was about but since it seems to always come back a few days before my cycle begins.  Going to the chiropractor does seem to help a little, not back to normal but it does help.  It is tiring, very tiring.  I think we need to tell our doctors about this post.  They all seem to think it is in our heads, and obviously it is not!    
OMG. I have had this since FOREVER. Over the last year and a half as my period became less frequent (am 49) I stoped having the problem. Then my period became "regular" again over the last two months and boy is it back. I have asthma, too, but my inhaler almost makes it worse! When are they going to really, REALLY study the affects of hormones on wome?. You read bits and pieces of studies that say hormones affect gall bladder disease, colon cancer and a host of other health issues! Mine bothers me when I ovulate and then again for the first few days of my period. AM having it now and know that the anxiety of having it makes it even worse...
I have been having shortness of breath during and/or just before my period for the past six months as well.  I did a bit of research and I think that the shortness of breath may be caused by catamenial asthma.  Catamenial asthma is asthma that is associated with your menstrual cycle.  Though the precise cause is unclear, there are various theories about how hormonal fluctuations may cause shortness of breath.  There is more information about catamenial or premenstrual asthma here: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/158/13/1405.  This article was published in JAMA, a highly reputed medical journal, so it's worth reading and talking to your doctor about.

Hope this helps!
I am so happy I just found this. I was having a terrible day today - period is starting and the inability to catch my breath has caused fear and worry, lots of anxiety. The anxiety is just the result of not being able to breathe right, it's not the cause, I am convinced. Because most other days of the month I am totally confident and in control. You're all right - how can I have once a month panic attacks, right on schedule?  Doesn't make sense. Now I just have to decide what to do. I tried progesterone cream a long time ago and I don't recall any miracles.

One thing I'm seeing as a common thread here is that those of you who experience the shortness of breath are also hypothyroid. So am I, for the last 12 years. I'm 39, not ready for menopause yet.  But anyway, I bet the thyroid issue has something to do with it. My meds are at a good level and the rest of the month, I have no issues.

Thanks for your stories. Even though I am having trouble breathing all day today, I feel a little calmer now for reading this and knowing so many suffer from the same thing. I am not going to die or have my life be run by this weird anxiety that's developed from the breathing problem.
Reading this made me cry! I thought I was crazy!! Now I know it happens to a lot of women. Thanks for sharing!
this happens to me every month a week before my period.today i got my period and i have once more confirmed my theory that doctors refuse aswell. my dispnea starts a week before and clears out with the first flow. because doctors dont accept this, every month i get paranoid like" maybe i have a tumor, maybe i m allergic to my cat, maybe is a chest infection...and so on. i m constantly on the internet looking for similar symptoms hoping that is nothing related to the worst illness. and after a week of browsing the internet in search of answer my period starts and once again i end up blaming it. looks like the only answer. i also have type one diabetes and also a week before my blood sugars raise to the stars along with dispnea and i always think" this time i m gonna die" but i never die and just get the period. the dispnea is always at its worst in the morning as i get out from my bed. i try to cough but nothing seems to calm down the shortness of breath. last week i sat on my bed about half an hour thinking that i would died soffocated. after half an hour i started to prepare my son for school. on the way to the school i was walking like a fish would walk on land. its been an horrible experience, the worste since my symptoms have started. so is not in your head and we all know enough about it. i just would like to know if this could actually kill us in some extreme situation or not and i dont understand why this doesn t get investigate better from researchers to improve our lifestyle in those days instead of deny our condition.
I too am glad I found this topic while doing a search on Google. I am 45 and get enough aerobic exercise for my age and walk a lot and without fail, about a week or so before my period starts, I feel short of breath. I really never noticed this until about four months ago. I also live a mile above sea level and didn't notice this that much when I was at a lower elevation a few months ago. But it's been concerning as I started wondering if there is something wrong with my heart. I also have severe premenstrual fatigue and depression, along with worsening menstrual cramps over the past so many months as well. I went to go get it all checked and a University Hospital didn't do anything to help me. So I am going to keep going to people until someone can at least do a good blood workup on me. Last time I was checked for thyroid it was fine. I wonder if it has to do with inflammation. I will post back if I get any good info on my situation or a clue from a doctor as to why this is for enough of us women.
Thank you for posting what you did about catamenial asthma. I never heard of it but as for my best guest, I figured it has something to do with inflammation. I live in a high altitude, high pollution city as well and I have become to wonder. I also have premenstrual allergies a lot - sneezing mainly. This is one of the reasons I feel I need a good endocrine workup that no one seems to want to do. Just wanted me to take massive amounts of Ibu before and during menses and some Prozac.

From the link I have posted below this paragraph:

"Speculated mechanisms besides a ß2-receptor link for estrogen's effect in asthma include, but are not limited to, an inhibitory effect on corticosteroid metabolism,[138] antiinflammatory properties,[139] up-regulation of the transcription of nitric oxide synthase,[140] and antioxidant properties.[140] We are currently validating our observations in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized crossover trial and evaluating the effects of estradiol on asthma symptoms, pulmonary function, quality of life, and various biochemical markers of airway inflammation."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409544_11
I have been waking from sleep because of shortness of breath before my period for YEARS.  I am 48 and it started in my late twenties, but progressively has gotten worse as I've gotten older and likely because I am reaching menopause within the next decade or less.

I went to the doctor over this summer to get a hysterectomy to alleviate my horrendous PMS, and he said "no, you're healthy and I won't give you a hysterectomy.  So you have a really bad case of PMS!  It's not uncommon, so I think in your case it's better if you just deal with it."

Of course a male doctor WOULD say that - but I guess I will wait it out...  all PMS symptoms are crazy. In fact, people think I am a homicidal maniac about a week before and I recluse as I cannot sleep.  It has caused problems with jobs, etc.  Let's hope in the future doctors will NOT say it's in our heads, or panic attacks (I agree, that's rubbish)..and they will actually do research to find a way to assuage the horrible symptoms.   I am a firm believer that some women kill because of hormonal problems.  Not all, of course.  Some people - women included - are just sadistic psychopaths.  However, some women become impulsive and enraged during menses...not a good combination.  It's time the medical establishment did something about this before it's too late.
Hi I'd just like to ask which contraceptive pill all you guys are on because I have also noticed these symptoms that you are all explaining and was so pleased to come across this page because I thought I was going mad!  As well as shortness of breath I feel really irritable pretty much all the time now! (anyone else??)  The only thing I can think that has been different since these symptoms have started occuring is that my doctor put me on YASMIN contraceptive pill when I was on LOGYNON before.  I am a healthy 31 year old woman with a 9 year old boy and have always been on Logynon since I was 16 (apart from when I was trying for my son of course!)  The only reason my doctor changed it is because he said that that was the most popular one now and they are trying to get everyone on it, however since then I have shortness of breath, irritablility and sore boobs.  I will be going back to change it.  But am interested to see if the contraceptive pill has anything to do with it as they do have hormones in them I think.  Any one else on yasmin or had a similar experience I'd be really interested to know xx
I'm so happy I found this post. I have same problem, shortness of breath before and sometimes while period. docs say it's panic attacks not connecting this might have a relation to hormones changing. obviously it is..
Thank you
Wow I'm not the only one!! Thank goodness!!
I too have this shortness of breath either before, during or just after my periods and then it seems to go so there has to be a hormonal link??
It's just so frustrating and worrying at times not to mention horrible and uncomfortable!!
The first time I ever experienced the shortness of breath feeling was in my third pregnancy and just after giving birth to my daughter it was quite bad!!!  
I know its not in my head! And its not anxiety or depression which the doctors seem to put everything down to that they have no idea about!!  Would be great if someone did some research on this as Iam tired of feeling this way....
I have this to mine is very severe started during mold poisoning. starts around ovulation lasts all day. the day before my period its so bad i cant even get my breath at all. then i start my period and its gone for 3-4 days during this time i feel fantastic, normal almost. then the day it ends bam right back into the depths of hell! I have a lot of pain in my neck and excessive mucos in my throat. This condition is called vocal cord dysfunction, my lungs are fine but not being able to breath is from the vocal cords i havnt seen anyone saw vocal cords so i wanted to mention this that this is where you are feeling the trouble breathing. I am 30 I have pcos dx in my early 20s i had lyme disease in 06 and then mold and then this its horrible some days i dont want to live. I cant drive or take care of my kids because i cant breath. the 3 or 4 days i have are amazing and am totally functional. I cant get any drs to help me they tell me its anxiety. i think the winning quote from all ive read here is "anxiety is not this organized" how true that statement is. natural medicine saved mylife from lyme and mold so thats the direction im going to take with juicing and trying to detox this estrogen out, detox with sauna and cleaning up my surrounding including smells anything with a frangrance down to shampoo effects estrogen levels get rid of anything with frangrance for a few months and make your home safe and see if it helps. I have had this for almost two years im loosing hope but know in my heart there is an answer if anyone has found anything please post here.
wow, I too have the same problem. I had sports induced asthma ages ago, but it resolved.  But after having pneumonia last July, it is back.(was tested by my pulmonologist)  But now, I can now workout again without much of an issue except that week before  my period like everyone else, bam it hits, I can't even carry up a load of laundry without having Shortness of breath.  While working out today, I was dying, which is not normal. I'm going to try to use my inhaler prior to working out during pms :)
This is amazing to find I am not the only one who has suffered with shortness of breath episodes for years!  These attacks always occurred a few days before my period.
At about the age of 43, while entering peri-menopause, the attacks were often debilitating and embarrassing as people would literally ask me if I was ok.
I had every test in the book.  But, nothing showed up.  
I figure I'd be dead by now if it was a cardiac problem or some blockage.
Now, at age 49 and full on menopausal,  these attacks are frequent and intense...then they go away...then they come back.
I am choking and yawning, desperately trying to get a good even breath.  This is often accompanied with a feeling of bloat and fullness, especially after eating even small amounts of food.  
I am convinced it is hormone related, but no doctor will confirm.  
Here's my advice...stay away from coffee...not caffeine, but coffee specifically.
Thank god i found this blog...I am also suffering shortness of breath before & during my periods.
I saw Dr they did also testing including lung X ray & they said its panic attack & its in my head.I was very worried about this.
But it is not ..now from all posting i realized that it is a common symptom during period time.
Now i am looking for some natural way(Yoga/meditation) to get rid from this.
so pl post if you know something.
okay so there are far too many women who experience this for it to be a fluke. personally i noticed that i had difficulty breathing unless i was fully and completely relaxed, and the minute my heart rate rose above drowsing (meaning anytime i stood up or reclined in a different position) i could feel my chest trying to tighten as if i couldn't get the breath into my lungs. it started a day before my cycle began, and i noticed that this happened before as well. the reason i paid more attention this time is because this is my first period in awhile, and i didn't experience it at all while on birth control. so i truly do think it is hormonal, a kind of balancing act that our bodies are trying to figure out. i went for a run this morning and wasn't able to continue like i normally would because i couldn't get enough oxygen to my legs and began to get dizzy. this happened before, and my doctor concluded it was a form of workout induced asthma. as someone who experienced an asthma attack and a panic attack, i knew that this was different.

thankfully, i am a martial artist and have studied breathing for years, which helps me through the random breathing shortages. i've added intense yoga and slow stretching after every single workout, which combined with healthy eating (and no milk!) keeps me able to control my breath. my suggestion to the ladies would be make sure to be regularly active, even if it is just a half hour of light cardio every day. this will help your heart function better on the abnormal amounts of oxygen it's receiving, and as a bonus it helps with PMS as well :)
wow!! I have just started having SOB before my period in the last year..(I'm freakin" 50!). It's annoying. I take prednisone 20 mg for those couple days and it loosens me up. I just started on thyroid meds last week....my levels were borderline low..i wonder if that's the connection....

Anyway, try prednisone ..it is the oddest thing. I develped Asthma last year ...that's when this started....weird, weird, weird...
Hi Kristina and other friends,

I am aslo a recent sufferer of breathlessness and just searching frantically to find some solution.I am 29 long term PCOD sufferer having 2 year's'old kid,was on BC upto a month before.Recently I stopped taking BC and before getting my periods I had symptoms of hear attack.Even my periods are over still finding difficult to breath. Have to take long breath yawn frequently to make comfortable.I am just loosing very positive thought in me.
I have all other symptoms of low progestrone like - blurred vision,hot flushes,dryness etc.
I have got an appointment with an endochronologist soon.
Please help!!
I have this same issue but started taking multi-symptom pamprin at the onset of symptoms and everyday until my period starts and it is much better.
Same problem and I am starting to connect the dots. It has been bad last two days and bammm I start today. I feel great today with no issues. Everyone tells me it's panic/anxiety. The feeling does make me anxious and I have started to panic over it but ithe actual feeling of shortness of breath comes out of the blue and not anxiety driven-especially when I am laying down trying to relax. At least we know we are not alone.
Thank You for your post, this sounds like good results to me.
wow i cant believe it i thought i was crazy, but just like clock work, a week before i start my period, i start with the tiredness, short of breath, im just mad at everyone and then the leg cramps, hot flashes and then night sweats so bad that i have to get up and change clothes in the middle of the night i have had so much blood work done, test x-rays that i had started to get worried that i was gonna get cancer from the x-rays lol everything is great no issues except that i have gained about 30 pounds in the past 2 years (quit smoking) cause of the shortness of breath ohhhhh and did i mention that i also have irregular heartbeat during this week too....i use to panick when this would start, all the yawning and carring on i just knew i was gonna die lol and i think thats why they all say its panick attacks cause after this starts we do panick and feak out and it makes it all the worse im gonna try the all natural cream to see if it helps me out any the one thing that i have decided to do is look at this as a sort of a blessing cause now i know that im getting ready to start and not to have sex, not on bc and im 41 and i also have a 5 year old lol it helps to know that im not dieing right this min and that in a few days it will go away that helps when i start to panick about it and like today decide to look once again on the internet about hormones and shortness of breath lol it ***** and i really hope this cream helps, i hate hate, hate feeling this way but it does help not to get all worked up about it and cause ourselves a panick attack i will let yall know how i do and im so glad for this blog im glad to know that im not alone :) xxxx
We are all in the same boat! In fact i am having the problem as i am writing this. Today is the 12th day of this breathing difficulty + dizzy spell + blocked ears and my menses is overdue for 3 days now. Always happens 7 to 12 days before menses. Extremely frustrating! I have checked my heart and am taking anxiety pills, so these should not be the cause. What i find helpful is keep yourself busy and not focus on it. That's all you can do i guess. Take care.
I remembered something about hormones during pregnancy causing me shortness of breath.  When I went searching I found this (and progesterone is highest about a week before your period starts):

"Apart from the pressure, the other cause for many pregnant women to be out of breath during pregnancy revolves around progesterone. This is a hormone that is present during pregnancy and is important in maintaining the pregnancy. It however does have a laxative effect on your muscles especially those which support the lungs. This means that the muscles will be lying on the lungs making it expansion harder. This hormone also greatly changes carbon dioxide sensitivity leading to the shortness of breath during this period."

http://www.howmanyweekspregnantamicalculator.com/why-are-most-women-out-of-breath-during-pregnancy.html

Since your last post have you tried progesterone? It appears that progesterone raises gaba. So if you are low in progesterone, you might be low in gaba which might cause the feeling of tightness in the chest and shortness of breath. Please let me know if you tried it and it worked.
I have been suffering from shortness of breath--difficulty taking a deep breath--between the time of ovulation and shortly before my period begins, for the past several years. I am 42 years old and in otherwise perfect health. I went to a cardiologist who said it is hormonal. Same story as the rest of you all. Glad to know this is much more prevalent, but surprised there is not more i formation or general knowledge about it among physicians who tell us to merely breathe into a paper bag,
Same thing with me for the last two years. I only went to ER once, Halloween 2012..it was real bad that night.. Told me it was anxiety. I knew it wasen't. How can you be sitting watching tv and BAM your breath "catches". Very scary which could throw you into panic/anxiety attack but initial problem NOT anxiety. I sometimes have issues real bad when going to bed. So bad I have slept up right in a chair, scared out of my mind. One thing I have found that helps, and pardon my honesty, is orgasm. If I am having issues I do this and the next day I have no issues. It has to be hormones. I just got insured and going to get bloodwork done. Good luck ladies

I couldn't agree more with your comments!!  I too suffer with shortness of breath and heart palpatations a week before my period every month.  Im not overweight or unwell and I definitely do NOT suffer with panic attacks.  I don't feel panicked...I simply cannot catch my breath.  Its reassuring to know I'm not the only one either.  I reckon you're right and it must be hormonal.
I have the same thing. This works for me:

Cut and peel a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger (not the powdered stuff) and put it in a cup. Pour 1 cup boiling water over it and add 1 tbsp raw honey. Let steep until it is cooled enough to drink, but drink it hot. (I usually pour through a mesh filter to get out the chunks of ginger--I don't think it would be good to eat) Do this 3-4 times a day until your period starts and you will feel as good as new!!
I have never had this before, usually not much PMS except for the regular mood swings and sensitivities, but had this last night and today when my period arrived. Havent heart about it before but it's so obvious here how it is related to hormone inbalances/the cycle. Perhaps some smart medicine student could make something out of all these comments and start some research? Anyway, have some shortage of breath (can't breath as deep and thourough/slow as normal) and yesterday some heart palpitation and freaky chest/neck pain, and a real bad PMS session which I don't usually have with all those symptoms like dizzyness, apathy, anxiety, high strung tension, perplexity, confusion, sadness, unable to feel motivation, focus or concentrate. Just feeling sad, low and disorientated and like stuck in a wet blanket. Usually I can cheer up and feel enthusiasm and motivation easily but as much as there must be some intricate evolutional meaning to this overwhelming pms-state, it is very overwhelming. I eat well, don't excercise much but I think it somehow is related to my emotional state over the last month. Anyway, just wanted to add to the statistics. Both irritating and fascinating, what is the cause/hormonal conditioning/biology with all this?
And if not related to the actual hormonets, the concoctions involved with the hormone regulation, it's not rocket science :) it's biology
does this still happen to you? this is happening to me, did it go away?
Has anyone had any success with this?? How do you all deal with it??
I have been dealing with this for years as well. I found most doctors have no idea what this is and I honestly believe they see anxiety and panic attack as the only thing fixable. I am now getting closer to figuring this out, but I have been told it is incredibly rare. I am beginning to suspect that it is not and that the specialists have only begun to scratch the surface.  My symptoms started with shortness of breath before my period then gradually I began to experience other symptoms- extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, heart palpitations, rashes, dry skin/eczema patches, mouth sores and swollen gums, sensation of throat tightness. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia.  The shortness of breath has been so bad at times I have been extremely limited in activity and even maintaining any kind of fitness is difficult when half of every month is so debilitating.  I found an anti inflammatory diet to help tremendously for a time, but then I found I was having reactions to soy, egg, wheat, gluten, and I developed a shellfish allergy. Now my diet is very strict to maintain some amount of relief. I know that my symptoms all peak between ovulation and the first day of my period. This is when progesterone is highest. For me, taking any other progesterone or using a progesterone cream would be incredibly bad. When this all progressed, my allergist finally tested me for a progesterone allergy. Yes, that was undeniably positive.  Unfortunately the general recommendation is to avoid anything you are allergic to, but with progesterone that becomes difficult.  I have seen many doctors that are skeptical and do not support this diagnosis, and I have seen many helpful and supportive doctors.  I can tell you that the allergy meds help, but they do not completely eliminate the shortness of breath. I am on 5 different allergy meds to prevent this from progressing to anaphylaxis after having taken several trips to the ER.  I have also tried hormone suppressing medication (chemical menopause) that left me feeling better than I have in years. The next step for me will most likely be to have my ovaries removed. It seems drastic, but this has progressed to such a debilitating condition that I see it as my best option, and I have a gyn that is willing to do this. I suggest anyone experiencing this shortness of breath begin to look more closely for any other symptoms. The rash seems to be what the doctors who know about progesterone allergy are looking for.  Any kind of rash that is cyclic. It can be flat and like a heat rash or it can be spots. It may itch, it may not. Some people actually have hives. For me, I didn't even realize I was getting a rash until the EMT pointed it out on my back during that first trip to the ER. Google progesterone allergy and see if it fits for you.
I too have been experiencing the same breathing problems for over two years.  I got checked for every heart, lung, and sinus thing they could and over and over, I was told by doctors that I looked fine on paper and it could be in my head.  FINALLY, I talked to my ob/gyn and told her it was cyclic and she BELIEVED me.  Then she researched a ob/gyn specializing in reproductive endocrinology and that doc BELIEVED me.   I'm scheduled to get tested for a progesterone allergy by doctors that are well known and research this disease (at Brigham's in Boston).  I guess we will see what happens, but I definitely know it is progesterone related.  Got the Mirena reinserted after having my first kid (was on it before I wanted to get preg) and within two months started experiencing shortness of breath and sinus swelling symptoms a week before my cycle started and it would end either during bleeding or right when it was over.  Took the Mirena out this summer to see if that was causing the problems and IMMEDIATELY had insane sinus problems that lasted the entire two weeks I was bleeding.  I never had sinus issues before this...ever in my life (I'm 36).  Since the removal, I have had more crazy hormonal symptoms (extreme fatigue, dry eyes, dry mouth, nausea) and things have been worse (itchy red rashes all over my body,etc.).  If the progesterone skin testing doesn't show a positive allergy, I will be surprised, but I won't give up.  If all else fails, the endo ob/gyn suggested 1 one month Lupron shot to test what menopause will be like for me.  I know that might be horrible too, but maybe it wouldn't debilitate me for two weeks out of the month.  This is a thing people...find a doctor who believes you and don't give up. Journal EVERYTHING.  You are your own advocate.  And to the doctors that have discarded you or told you it couldn't be hormonal (it has to be anxiety)...shame on them.  There is simply not enough research going on with hormone related problems and they of all people should know "never say never".  Good luck everyone.
I too have dealt with this.  I knew I was pregnant with my kids - not because of a pregnancy test -  but because I would get short of breath.  As soon as my body started to prepare for pregnancy I could not stop yawning to catch my breath.  It drove me crazy.  And now as I am close to menopause it is happening again.  I am a distance runner having run a marathon and consistently run half marathons. I also practice yoga several times a week. I feel very in tune with my body and can regulate my breathing even when I am fatigued.  This is definitely not an 'in your head" thing, it is hormonal and I will be thrilled when the medical community can recognize that women aren't prone to mental health issues like anxiety or depression...but we have hormones that signal that our bodies are changing.  I am thankful for everyone who has posted about this.  More awareness is a good thing!
S34
Check for GERD. Hormones can cause acid reflux. I was having shortness of breath and it would happen around my period. I had no other symptoms, maybe once or twice I would feel nauseous. After going to the doctor several times for the last year and a few ER visits with no relief. I started doing my own investigating. I had 2 dr. Tell me it was asthma and a lung dr.
I tried every inhaler again no relief. They did a CT scan everything was clear. I was then prescribed anxiety pills. I did not take these because I knew it wasn't anxiety. Half way thru the year we were in the process of trying  to get pregnant so I was then put on hormones which made the yawning and trying to catch my breath worse and all day. After We decided to take a break from fertility I then noticed  that my shortness of breath was after eating certain foods (if your hormones are out of Wack you may not be able to tell) and worse at night and really clear when I woke up. So I brought that up to my dr and she said yes that does sound like acid reflex, GERD or even a hiatus hernia. She put me on an acid blocker, 1 a day, it worked a little and then the next week she upped it to 2. With in 2 hours I could breath! It was such a relief. I am now in the process of cutting all the stuff I love out of my diet. I hope this helps you or someone reading this post. I researched this for the last year and I was so frustrated. A lot of dr's didn't have any idea because I didn't get the typical heart burn.
You're not crazy. No kids here, but I'm having this since going off birth control. Got better on progesterone cream, but then was having too long periods/bleeding so stopped for now. Some say it's from high estrogen, but I was on estrogen/progesterone birth control and didn't have problems, so I believe it's low progesterone. Consider natural ways to increase your progesterone (vitamin C and some others), or natural progesterone cream, or hormones if you're open to the pill. - Amanda
Progesterone and serotonin both drop after birth and the few days before our period progesterone drops sharply, so likely low progesterone is at least a large piece of this puzzle.
I don't know when I started having shortness of breath related to my period, but I know I started correlating it to my period when I was about 30. I am now 39 with many more monthly cycles under my belt and the profound shortness of breath is absolutely caused by the monthly menses cycle. For me it starts about 10 days before I bleed and gets steadily more profound as the days pass, with the hardest to breath days being the 5 preceding the day on which I bleed. Then the day I start to bleed, I breath better than I have the whole month     and stay that way for about 10 days before.  Terrific breath in for 10 days, so so breathing for another 10, and struggle to breath for the other 10. I am convinced that it due to a fluctuation in hormone that only females experience. I think it is progesterone. Anyway I have researched how one can reduce naturally occurring hormone in their body. It seems you can't. I have tried eating broccoli more because I think it is supposed to make you poop out hormone.  I don't know but that didn't work.  Nothing works it seems.  Not even resting or forfeiting a bra.  You can have a do nothing day which is relaxing and still be heaving for oxygen for those days before your period. If other women I see are encountering this then they are hiding it well. But truthfully I think some females hormonal fluctuation with menses is just more profound than other women's. I think all women experience it to degree though. If anyone cared to research it, they would surely figure it out. They already know that progesterone fluctuates in women but researchers are not interested so far in the physical impact of the effect of that fluctuation on a woman's body.  It is not anxiety ladies. Only a man or one of those lucky females whose biology handles the hormones differently than yours will tell that arrogant presumptuous nonsense.
I was also have the same experience, before, during and after my menstrual cycle, i experience difficulty of breathing. Im experiencing this 3 yrs ago and getting worst today. Im 29, i visited doctor asking what the cause of shortness or difficulty in breathing. I was tested CBC XRAY and ECG. But its all normal. The doctor reffered me to OB,and he discussed to me that it is PMS or hormonal imbalance. He prescribed me a pills for 6 months named YAZ. I just started to take the pills last night. Hope it will work to me
Have the same problem since a month before the first period after having my 2nd child was born. It was horrible when it first happened gradually having difficulty breathing that lasts for days like something is blocking my nose, accompanied with extreme headache. Got checked by a gp (tests lungs and heart, all ok) and said it was  just depression. It goes away for a while then the evil cycle starts again the next month, which is when i then had my first period after birth. It stays after period for a few days, goes away and start again before period. During worst days i experience difficulty breathing, dizziness, problem with sights, and itching. Wondering if it is happening since my hormones are still messed up (just gave birth 4 months ago, had a misscarriage before this one and is still breastfeeding, periods are also happen with minimal bleeding). I thought i was crazy at first, but then realize there's a cycle to it, so maybe i'm not.
The thing is i live abroad, which complicates things since my obgyn speaks very little english.
Have anybody found a decent relieve for this problem? Does it gradually gets better by time? Does taking birth control pills help? (been noticing some have issues after stop taking pills)
I have had the same breathing problem as you all have described for many, many years just before my period! It goes away once I start my period, but in between those days I feel that I am suffocating at times. As I was getting an adjustment one day, I asked my chiropractic to wait to adjust my neck because I had to catch my breath. He said, "that's not normal you know. I can fix that with acupuncture."  He inserted about 6 needles and within about 1 minute I could "catch" my breath and started breathing normally. I could not believe it! Once I get a treatment, I am good for about 1 - 1 1/2 YEARS. It has been a really simple fix for me. So glad I stumbled upon it!! If you have never had acupuncture, it doesn't hurt, you just need to relax and not tense up. Hope this helps some of you as much as it has me!!
I have been having shortness of breath since 2015 around November when I started taking progesterone pills to bring down my menses. I started taking it and developed all kind of allergies at around the same time now I am allergic to shellfish, certain foods I can not eat any more, my GERD has gotten worst and albuterol does not help. I will be seeing naturopathic Dr maybe they can help. Around 8 years ago I was diagnosed with hormonal imbalance and I have noticed that I have gained weight and harder to loose it. If I find out what it is I will post it.if anyone knows what the diagnosis is please post thank you
Again, to echo many voices here: thought it was just me... Found this article (someone may have posted it already??) about a study out of Norway linking asthma, hormones, mensturation etc. NOT in our heads.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/menstrual-cycle-and-asthma-hormones-respiratory-symptoms-study_n_2102529.html
Hello girls.
I have the same symptoms.and now I have found the answers of this problem of shortness of breath before my periods.this is all because of water retention in the body.some people call it bloating. Now I m going to tell u the cure.its all because of magnesium deficiency.u can take calcium magnesium tablets.but magnesium is more important.a woman needs 200 to 400 mg of magnesium per day.and one more thing to reduce water retention limit ur salt intake.avoid sodium one week.before ur periods.eat cumumbers,bananas,almonds they help in reducing water retention.avoid sugary food as well.I am.anemic so I m also taking iron pills but not on the same time of calcium magnesium tablet.magnesium is very important to deal with PMS .basically its nor shortness of breath we r only feeling lije that.it is actually water retention in abdomen.sone people call it bloating.and also drink 8 to ten glasses of water before ur period days.I did all this and my shortness of breath gone in one day .I m feeling healthy better.
Thank you so much, I thought I was going crazy. My breast swell and the shortness of breath follows. I will for sure be trying the calcium/magnesium. At least I know I'm not alone in this.