Shower vs bathing
KDG
Hello all!  Like most women, I love to take baths as oppose to a shower.  I remember hearing somewhere that it is best to shower in order to avoid bacterial infections.  Is that true?
I was told by my doc that it isn't due to any fear of infection but because of the temperature of the tub.  If your body goes over a certain point of hotness for a given amount of time, that is not good for the baby, whether it gets there because of hot water, hot weather, having a fever, or sleeping under too many blankies.  (I think that the temp is over 104 degrees.)  This is why saunas and hot tubs are contraindicated during pregnancy.  I asked specifically if it would matter if I took a bath if I kept the temperature cooler than usual, and my doc said that would be fine.
showering is meant to be better for you in that respect. but hey every woman loves a nice long soak in the bath once in a while. i suffer with yeast infections and bv i stopped bathing every day and took showers, i only had a bath now and again. it seems to have got better b/c of this. unless you suffer with infections i wouldnt worry.
I love to soak in a tub, but like Annie mentioned, if pregnant the temp needs to be cooler than normal. I generally draw a bath, soak in it for a while shave and finish with a shower to wash my hair and such. Heck, I have a male friend who only takes baths so it isn't just the ladies who likes baths ; )

Andi
I never knew about that (Im in UK maybe drs arent up to speed here) but I used to take baths all the time when I was preg and I like it pretty warm, not boiling but quite hot. Can this affect the baby, could this of been why I lost my first one? (they said there was calcifications in the placenta but I didnt want my son autopsied)

Wow Il have to remember that. The only thing I was told about baths was that they are good for trying to bring on labour if the waters are still intact

Congrats to all preggy
I was curious about whether there was a correlation between the timing (early middle or late pregnancy) and the caution about overheating.  When I was looking, here's what it said about baths:

"According to the Organization of Teratology Information Services, a body temperature of 101º F and above can raise concerns during pregnancy. Some studies have shown an increased risk of birth defects in babies of women who had an increased body temperature during the first trimester of pregnancy.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists states that becoming overheated in a hot tub is not recommended during pregnancy. ACOG also recommends that pregnant women never let their core body temperature rise above 102.2º F.  Hot tubs are often factory programmed to maintain a water temperature of approximately 104º F. It takes only 10-20 minutes in a hot tub to raise your body temperature to 102º F or higher. To maintain a steady temperature, water is circulated and re-circulated through the hot tub to pump out cold water and pump in hot water.
So, is a hot bath safer than using a hot tub?

A hot bath, which is not uncomfortable or scalding, is a safer way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating."  

So don't second-guess your m/c in relation to baths; it sounds like even if you sat for a long time in a 104-degree hot tub, the potential catastrophe would be birth defects not miscarriage, and you weren't doing that in any case.  It doesn't sound like taking baths had a thing to do with it.  

All the best -- Annie
KDG
Thanks ladies!