Side Effects After IUD Insertion

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Side Effects After IUD Insertion

I recently got an IUD inserted a week ago... ever since ive had this brown thick like discharge (no smell). I know after an IUD discharge usually increases but is it normal to be brown? I was suposed to get my period a week ago but it never consistantly comes on time so i wasnt worried until i saw that brown discharge could mean pregnancy. Ive been very safe and used condoms until i got my iud and even with my iud im always check to make sure its still there and hasnt been expelled. I have a consistant boyfriend and know that i dont have anything so could this just be old blood looking a little thicker because of my IUD and my period is soon coming or is it more likely im pregnant?
I've always gotten brown discharge at times.  With the IUD (I've had the copper in for almost two months), probably more than half of my light spotting is brown.  It's been almost every day, very light.  I hear it's just the body adjusting to the IUD.  I've been feeling ill, so I got on this forum to see what everyone else has to say.  I'm freaked out about ectopic pregnancy, etc., so I'm planning on taking an hpt some time this week, whenever I get the chance to get to the store (school plus three-month-old is kind of hectic, lol).
If you don't notice any other pregnancy symptoms, it's likely that it's just the IUD.  Hopefully both of us get adjusted to it and have no problems.  And I haven't had a period since the IUD insertion.  Pregnancy tests two weeks after the insertion came up negative, ultrasound showed it was all fine.
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals