Skin tag or genital wart?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Skin tag or genital wart?

The following isn't a question, I just wanted to share my story and hopefully give someone peace of mind. About two years ago, I noticed a little outgrowth of skin on my labia minora. I was just beginning to be sexually active, and I was more concerned about pregnancy, so I did use condoms for intercourse, but there was genital contact. I didn't think much about it but the growth started to change. It was still soft and flesh-colored but it looked bumpy, and clustered.
After reading online about hpv and genital warts and how easily they are spread, I got very worried and about 5 months ago I went to my family doctor, who examined me and told me it wasn't skin tags, but I was sent to my ob/gyn for an appointment. She examined me and said she didn't think it was genital warts, but would do a biopsy to be sure. In February, I had the biopsy. She numbed the area with anesthetic (it stung) removed the growth with a scalpel, then stitched me up. It took maybe 10 minutes, maximum. Once the anesthetic wore off I felt throbbing pain but an ice pack helped a  lot. I took it easy for a few days and was careful when washing that area. It healed well but I spent all that time worrying about my diagnosis.
I saw my ob/gyn yesterday and she said it was indeed skin tags, and that warts and tags look similar to the eye, but look very different from each other under the microscope. It was a huge relief. I live in Canada where health care is free, but I urge people everywhere who are dealing with weird genital lumps to ask for a biopsy, they'll be removed without having to deal with creams or anything, and you'll have a diagnosis. I should also add that between the time I noticed the growth and the time I got it examined, I had had two pap smears and the doctors did not notice it, or at least didn't say anything. We all have to be proactive about our health and act sooner rather than later instead of using up our energy worrying about it.
Im glad all is well with you!¡
Thank you so much!
I am pretty sure I have a skin tag in the same region as you. But of course I'm not sure. I'm glad that you shared this because I have been stressing out about it ever since my mother spoke up and said, "Are you sure it isn't a wart?" And I am just gonna have to go and get it removed. Hopefully my judgement will be correct and it won't be a wart. I have only had sex once, it was safe and I trusted my partner. Plus I think the skin tag developed a week or two before that and it didn't start bothering me until a week or two after. IDK. But thank you for sharing this with me.
TinaR10 Sorry I have been MIA. My y... Comment
1 hr ago
Shannon79 commented on photo
specialmom commented on AnnieBrooke's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals