Skipping BC Pills 2 Skip Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Skipping BC Pills 2 Skip Period

Okay, so I have been doing lots of research on skipping the "sugar pills" in my birth control pack in order to be able to skip my period. I have only been on the pills for 2 packs, but only one cycle. I want to skip what would be second cycle. It's an important week. Classes start the following week and my guy who lives really far away, and who I haven't seen all summer will  be comming back to town for school. We made some pretty elaborate plans and I don't want my period to ruin them. So.. my questions are:
1. Will I screw up my insides by not having a period?
2. Do I just start taking my next weeks pills on my new pack?
3. Do I have to use back up protection?
4. Will I get my next period on the next packet's placebo week?
5. Will this work using trinessa, or  the type that varies in dosage through out the month?
Thank You!                                                                            
Answers:
1. No you won't screw up your insides.  You're manipulating your hormones while taking the pills and the endometrial lining is much thinner than you would get on a normal, non medicated cycle.  You have a withdrawal bleed when you take the sugar pills, not a menstrual period.
2. Yes, just skip the sugar pills and go straight to the hormones pills (however triphasic pills are different to monophasic, so read below).
3. No you don't need to use back up protection.
4. You should get your next period when you start the next lot of sugar pills.
5. It's better if you do it on a monophasic pill where the dosage of each of the hormones is the same.  With a monophasic pill you just skip the sugar pills and go straight to the first hormone pill of the next packet.

If you use the triphasic pill to skip a period it's much more complicated and it has something to do with when you would normally take your sugar pills you need to take the highest level of progesterone pills from another packet instead (the dark blue pills).  Then the following week you start another packet with the normal first hormone pills.  So it gets very complicated and is more expensive because you end up throwing out a lot of your pills as you need more dark pills than any of the other ones.

However if you are only doing it as a one off, it's probably not an issue.