Small Red Bumps on Legs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Small Red Bumps on Legs?

For as long as I could remember i have these small red bumps mostly on my upper legs.  They arent pimples a bit smaller then that.  What could it be and how do i get rid of it?
i have the same thing on my legs i went to a dermatologist and he just said they were like shaving bumps
did he happen to say what could help reduce them?
i also have that problem. My mom had it too before menopause, the sun helps mine
Sounds like foliculitis (folliculitis) (inflammation of the hair follicles)
i have that problem too.. it sucks.. im 17 and i hate wearing anything that shows my legs because i have little red bumps all over my upper and lower legs.. the arent on the front area of my lower leg .. but they are everywhere else.. i even stopped playing volleyball becuase i was too emarrassed to wear the spandex.. i want to know how i can get them to go away..
I have been struggling with this problem for years now and have found that these bumps, probably inflamed hair follicles, do go away with exercise specific to the regions they are present. If I can get sweat coming out of those areas on my legs the follicles seem to heal a bit. I have to keep up my exercise though or they do come back! Also, I've started using a massage oil concoction of Narayan oil added to an almond oil base.

There are a few types of "Narayan" oil...the one I use is made up of sesame oil, clove oil, eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil. I purchase this oil online, from a kundalini yoga product supplier and the almond oil is available at places such as Whole Foods.

I apply this after showering and it does help! Good Luck!
I just researched this a bit more, see my previous comment, and the Narayan oil makes sense! Inflamed hair follicles, not due to shaving with a bad razor or poor moisturizers, are often caused by a bacterial infection. Bacteria do not like the minty, astringent oils in Narayan oil, which is why it has been used by yogis to treat infection for centuries now, and I'm sure this is why I've been having success! If you find that your bumps are filled with what seem to be dead skin cells, try the Narayan oil remedy above, it might help.
i have had the same promblem since i was three.does anyone know what this can be?how to get rid of it?its embarrasing i cant wear short's or skirt's because of this.
I have been having a few problems with small red bumps on my legs, but they are mainly on my knickers line. I only get them when i have shaved and wear certain pants. They feel like they are filled with white bloody sells. Its very embaressing. How can i stop them and get them to go away. And what are they??????
I have only just written a comment on here and then did some even more research on this. If you can read the link below, it will really help you and get you to understand it all. Going to ring my doctor on monday and see if it is what i have read. suggest you do the same. Link is REALLY helpfull

http://au.*****************/question/index?qid=20070713143316AA9rTG8
http://          au      .          answers            .yahoo             .com               /question/index?qid=20070713143316AA9rTG8

take out the spaces
Keratosis Palaris...or folliculitis

I have em too...
I have had this problem for as long as I can remember. I have tried EVERYTHING... well maybe not... I have tried razor bump lotions and massage oils, anti-fungals, and not shaving... but it hasn't helped yet! My boyfriend said that he has known people with this same problem and that it has helped them when they tanned as I have recently begun tanning again for this summer... I believe it's too soon to tell whether it has began working or not, but I will update my comment when I find out. If there are any other remedies that anyone else has I will be happy to listen and try them out!!! (:
Thanks!!!
well i have the same on my upper legs but i've been using clearasil (antibacterial wash) and that twice a day should help, mine are getter better. the bottle never says its a facial cream so it might even be made for this gl!
I have the same problem aswell, mine never go away even if i tan.........but they do go away when I get burned on holiday and I have been researching it and a woman said that when your skin gets burned it kills whatever these spots are made up of!!! I suggest using alcohol based moisturizers!!!
Hello everyone. i have recently seen some tiny red bumps on my lower legs (shins) but i am thinking it is just from a bad razor i used. hopeing! girls, just pray to God and it will go away, also try a rash cream from a dermetologist and some acne wash, suggest clearasil, it is the best, and the gentleest.
Keep up the faith ladies, Never give up hope.!
I know the bums you're talking about. I had it since forever. I don't shave my legs so it's not shaving bums like others. Any how, I'm avoid experimenting different products on my skin. One time,  I got bored and decided to put skin of banana on bums of my legs/arms. It was weird, but the bums actually went away. I don't know if skin tones matters, but I have tan skin.  
me AND my sister just got this around the same time and we've been trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I have been using a bad razor and havent been putting lotion on my legs... so maybe its that. Lets hope. I've tried to pop them to make them scar or whatever but it keeps coming back worse. Please have some of your ideas work for me ladies! I'm going up north to a beach and i dont know what to do! Its also going to be my birthday! Wish me luck :/
Im experiencing these bumps to iv had them for probably about 3years now and i recently went to a dermotologists and realized the reason im getting them is because i dont give my legs enough moisture to shave them theyre getting dry because i dont shower everyday like i should and i dont shave regurally either soo if your giving your legs time to grow ingrown hairs....which are those little bumps, that you try and pop or dig into. then your ganna get them and if your legs are to dry to shave they might come up right after you dry off.. soo just remember some of these. oh and my dermotologist said not to use lotions with any oils or alchahol in them because that can dry out your legs also.
solution for me: leave vaseline aloe fresh hydrating body lotion with aloe and cucumber extracts (non-sticky formula) on the bumps. Cover the entire area and rub it in a tiny bit (not transparent, let it just sit there thick and still a white colour). Then the redder/larger ones you can put just a dollop/drop right on it and leave it. Left it for like 20 minutes, then rubbed it all in and they have seriously reduced already. :)
It is a skin condition called Keratosis pilaris. It is genetic probably passed down from a relative. It is caused when the human body produces excess keratin. There is really not sure for it but once you know what it is you can try certain things on the market to try and help it.

I have it on the back of my arms and I never thought about it until my son had it all over his legs. We never put it together until I mentioned it to his Dr that I had a similar rash.

Good luck and I hope this helps
No cure*
I've had red bumps on my legs for about 2yrs and over those 2 yrs i have found that using bath and body works ,Victoria secret and any other brand like that that i causes more of them to appear so if your using any of those stop using them and see if that was the problem i hope they clear up so i can go back to playing volley ball and swimming on the swim team thanks for all your input gonna try some of these tips,