Smell after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Smell after sex

During and right after sex I notice a strong "fishy" smell. A condom is used every time, however not the same brand. I'm wondering why this could be happening. It goes away as soon as I go to the bathroom and clean myself off, which doesn't happen after every time after. It's embarrassing especially if I don't run off to the bathroom right afterwards. Please give me some idea of why this could be.
This can be due to the smell of semen or due to the vaginal discharge due to bacterial vaginosis. It is the most common cause of abnormal vaginal odor and discharge. It is caused by a change in the type of bacteria found in the vagina. Diagnosis can be confirmed after pelvic examination and microscopic examination of the vaginal discharge.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.