Smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Smell

I have noticed a smell since me and my boyfriend have been having intercourse. We do use protection and I think it is his *** that makes me smell. I can't get rid of it. I can smell it I know that he has to be able to. I have tried douches and showers and washed to much I have actually made myself sour. What can I do to make this smell go away. I always heard about women parts smelling like fish but I had never experienced it. How do I fix this?
sex does have a smell and it's usually not a pleasant one. condoms also smell awful, at least in my opinion. i always use the bathroom and then shower directly after sex and the smell goes away. a womans vagina is not supposed to smell like fish. if it does, it is usually due to an infection because that's not normal. the big question is.. does your vagina smell bad before you have sex? or does it smell after sex and linger for a little while? if it smells before, i would see a doctor and make sure you don't have a bacterial infection. if it's after, it is probably a combination of your bodily fluids and the condom. douches are really not good for you and i would try to limit this. there are vaginal wipes you can get that may help also.
Had same prob went to Dr - recurrent BV due to our chemistry doesn't go well together(my fiancé & myself). They said there was nothing I could do but, to use a condom - out of the question for me I hate them & we are monogamous, so their isn't a need & I flat out refuse. After much online research & trying many things I found a miracle - simply douche with equal parts hydrogen proxide & water after intercourse (everytime) & I also occasionally use the tampon dipped in yogurt just to reintroduce healthy bacteria back into my vagina. I haven't had any odor since & I've been using this method for over a year now. Also, all of my pap smears & exams have been perfectly normal. I only leave the yogurt tampon in for 2 hours. I know this will help you & any other woman who tries it.    
Its the scent of the body fluids from the two persons involved in the sexual activity, but mostly it is the sweat that they have generated.
Because of the amount of heat and sweat often generated during the physical activity, and the fact that it often occurs within a relatively enclosed space (ie. a bedroom), the smell is often stronger for being concentrated. The amount of smell honestly also depends on the diets of the two people involved, speaking for both the body fluids and sweat.

Definitely BV. This little monster is recurring and is a pain in the neck. As I suggested on a previous comment, try Rephresh inserts they contain gentle and highly effective PH balancing gel. They changed my life!
Men's semen has high ph levels, around 7.4. The vagina's ph is somewhere around 3.2-.4.4 This can make the vagina's ph levels rise. This can cause bacterial vaginosis. Antibiotics are the best method, it can take two to three rounds to clear up discharge. I liked the clindamycin. Ten days and it cleared my bv. Yet I noticed the odor was still there. I changed my diet, meaning lots of water, fruits and greens. Only use low ph soaps, detergent, pads and tampons. Safe sex helps the vagina stay clean and I would stay away from having semen in the vagina. Norforms is a good refresher for odor.