Smelly discharge.....do i need to be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Recently i have smelt a disgusting smell around the vaginal area and when i have looked in my underwear their is discharge and it is really smelly. This usually starts to appear between 1 - 2 week after my period has finished and lasts until my next period starts. The discharge is slimy and feels awful, i am constantly checking as the discharge is thick and creamy. When the discharge leaves my vagina it is the same feeling as when you come on your period, so i always dash for the toilet to check whether i have come on or whether it is discharge. Also when i am on my period does the smeel just seem to disappear because i use tampax and the tampx is soaking up the discharge? Is their something up with me as i am very worried. I am in a sexual active relationship and me and my partner are hoping for me to concieve (conceive) as we wish to start a family, will the discharge stop me from getting pregnant? During sexual intercourse their is no pain and sex isnt uncomfy. I am very worried it will as we have been trying for the past 7 month, but from research i have found that it can take well over 6 months for women to concieve (conceive)? I really need some answers as i am really worried that their is something really wrong with me?
Sounds like bacterial vaginosis.  Go get checked out. The peace of mind is worth it.
Thanks free spirit for your comment...but is bacterial vaginosis common in woman and is it dangerous?
Yeah, it's pretty common. Supposedly it is not sexually transmitted.   It's not really dangerous in the accute sense, but I wouldn't want to harbor an infection for a long time. I don't think it does any permanent damage like an undiagnosed std could, but the vaginal tissues immune system can take a while to get back on track once it's off kilter.

Be aware that if it is bv, and the doc gives you antibiotics to get rid of it, there is a strong possiblity of getting a yeast infection.

Good luck.
I have that happen to me---I agree it is a nasty feeling----and smell-----but I see a specialist and he has informed me that is just basically "gunk" that needs to be released----that it was nothing for me to worry about-----now if you do not keep clean it could lead into a yeast infection-----if it would give you peace of mind--talk to your doctor about it-----everybody is different-----but mine was just a discharge......take care
it is a infection that can cause your vagina to itch and burn itch and burn-----it is not serious unless you leave it untreated------it can really be annoying actually-----but there are over the counter creams such as Vagifem, etc----or the doctor can prescribe a pill (pink pill) that can get rid of it for ya---easily-----it is very common in women and especially if you have to take antibiotics it can cause a yeast infection---
hi!i would diffently go see your obgyn, escipally if you are trying to conceive. what color is the discharge? it sounds like bv to me. if it is bv then the only way to get rid of it is to get med from a dr. i dont think bv is too dangerous but if it is not treated it can turn into pid (which is very dangerous)escipally if you are using tampoons when you are on your period. i had bv that turned into pid b/c i was using tampoons and the infection traveled into my uterus and stuff. pid can cause scar tissue and do lots of damage if not caught in time.
thankyou for all your comments and support they have helped and my mind as been eased a lil bit...but wat is a yeast infection and how serious is it?
i have the same thingg, but im sure im alot yunger thenn uu, and i really dont like it i get embarisedd, and feel like everyone else can smell it. it really isnt nice. i must admitt i do have sex alot, i fort i caught summert but after reeding theseee i spose it issnt?..
can someone email me personally telling meee about it all.
jus tell me who u aree pleasee i amm yunggee and very scared :S.
Cutie-***@****
thanks x
my email dint cme upp if u put it togetherr itss

Cutie-
Chloee
@
hotmail
.co
.uk

x
I have a itchiness and smeil around my vagina. It happen often but I take a canisten tablet everytime, and this time I want to know how to heal it for good.

My email ***@**** if you can give me any advise
okay i have a smelly smell around my vagina and it is nasty. i got told that it was a yeast infecc. and it is ichyy. and i dont like it. i went to the doc. and she told me that i had that and gave me a pill to take and i took it she told me that it should go away in a day. and no it didnt go away and so i told my nana and she said to use this one stuff i forgot the name, but you use it every night for 7 nights. and i have used it buttt it is not working and it is really starting to scare me. i dont know what to do anymore. it is nasty. can somebody please help me???
I kind of have the same problem. I noticed a few days ago, while I was taking a shower and "cleaning", that there was an odd smell. Over the past few days I've noticed that it hasn't been going away. And I make sure I'm constantly clean. The other night (damn this is embarassing) my bf performed oral sex and he said it tasted a lot different, and so I kinda decided to find out for myself too, and I had to agree it was WAY different. The discharge isn't anything abnormal for me, the only thing is the smell. I've heard that sleeping without underwear is actually a really good thing and I've been doing that for a while. But my last period was a tad odd. Almost a week before it was supposed to start I had totally random spotting, when normally I don't. Although part of me wants to attribute a lot of this to some INSANE stress I'm going through right now (I've been breaking out a ton too). And unfortunately I can't go see a doctor because I'm living in CA now and my insurance is still based in WA so I don't know exactly what to do. Just make sure to keep clean and continue not sleeping without any undies? And I've only had one sexual partner for the past 4yrs, and unless he's been unfaithful I doubt it's an STD. Would Planned Parenthood offer check ups for things like this? I'm also like one of the other posters, I'm relatively young, only 21, so any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.
im really young and have but havent started my period ( hard 2 explain but it happend  only once and for like not even one minuet) is it normal for that to happen? i talked to my sister and she said it was but i don know and it smells like fish!!! and it is white and sticky=p i  dont know what to do bout it but i have been taking showers and putting coconut butter down there and  it helped the redness and white bumps go away but not the whit crap!  help me can some one send me an email at ***@****

thanks ,<3
i'm the same i had my period for like 5 hrs n eva since i hav had this weird smell :/ hav u found out whether it is normal? i put on pantyliners n then i can manage it a bit by changing them? Please reply if u hav found out anything

thanks
i have the same problem, i get discharge obvs but recently its started to smell strange and im getting more than i usualy do, i had unprotected sex about a month ago but im quite worried about what it could be. at first i thought it could be thrush but after researching it could be bv or anything :/ im just not too sure what it could be and im quite worried. im only 14.
I have been itchy starting to night i mean its not the first time and it has been driving me 'CRAZY' i do get discharge but not as much i REALLY have this bad bad smell in my vigina (vagina) i dont no what to do anyone tell me WHAT this is, there anything i can get over the counter for this....
There are lots of great comments on here, but I just want to add some other natural remedies. You really should see a gynecologist - try to get to Planned Parenthood if you can - they are really great and nice and helpful, and often offer programs that help with money.

Anyway, cranberry is SO good for this kind of thing, but not just the cheap stuff. Look at the ingredients. Get the juice that is 100% cranberry and not just apple juice with a little bit of cranberry in it. It's  a little more expensive, but worth it!! Get it with no added sugar. It may be difficult to drink - you can mix it with water or with a nice fizzy drink if that helps.

This is a little odd, but if you get a clove of garlic, and put it up your vagina and sleep with it up there for a night, that should help too. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.

Finally, if it's really really itchy, real yogurt will help and make it feel better too. Make sure that it is plain with no flavorings or sugar, and it has to say that it has Active Cultures in it (acidophilus and bifodus). These are probiotics: good bacteria which attack the bad bacteria. This yogurt is really soothing. You can get it up there by dipping a tampon into it and trying to get a nice amount to go in.

I know it sounds weird, but it really helps! I haven't had to do these for a long time, but I used to have a lot of yeast infections when I was in high school and I remember how incredibly itchy and painful and horrible they were!  :(  I found out that mine were because of the birth control pills that I was taking. If you are taking birth control pills, you may want to think about switching to a different brand of pills, or supplement yourself with probiotic pills or eating real yogurt with acidophilus and bifidus, and also drinking real cranberry juice (if it's too strong then just dilute it or mix it with a nice fizzy drink or lemonade) or taking cranberry pills.

Also, even if you are not itching, you may still have a yeast infection. The remedies that I have written about are good for overall health down there. Good luck!

Someone couldn't remember what they used. The popular over-the-counter treatment is Monostat.
Obviously getting checked is a good idea, but I realize it's a bit embarassing since I have the same problem. The yogurt, the cranberry and the garlic are the popular internet cures.

I'm curious though, are all of using tampons? I had my period for an obnoxiously long time, longer than usual, which is weird since I'm on the pill, and this started when my period ended. I wonder if the tampons irritated my vagina and allowed bad bacteria in? Kind of like TSS, but less severe?
Any thoughts?
i have read your post about tampon dipped in yogurt as a remedy.. do i have to leave the tampon in to my vagina overnight?
im only 16. ive been having this problem for over a year. im scared to tell my parent and embarassed to go to the gyn, i just finished telling my mom. i havent done anything to help it. ive just wearing tampons. the odor is soo embarrassing. like it smells like fish and even when i sometimes have sex. i then have a cottage cheese looking ****. it sometimes burns and itches. ive had hpv before but i never went to get checked again
i am 22 years old and i have a smelly discharge sometimes its colourless and some times its brownish i went to a clinic and they told me i had vaginal infection they gave me anti biotics and it was gone for a while and now its back.please help?do i have to see a gynechologist maybe?because i have terrible period pains and i think they are caused by this discharge.
Thanks!
well i googled this because i'm wondering whats up with me. i have the same thing. a smelly discharge, and it has no color, but i'm worried because recently i had sex with two different guys unprotected. the only symptoms i have is the discharge and i've never had a std before. i don't want to start now! can someone help me? is this jus bv? because i've had that before as well... i remember it being jus like this but not under the same circumstances as me have sex with these ppl.
hi, im 18 years old, and ive always had a discharge. recently it became very smelly, and i dont know what to do. i shower everyday, i never slept with undies and i havent had for over 2 months now. i cant go to the gun becaus ei just moved to a different country and i dont have my health card yet. does anyone know what would help? maybe the pink yeast infection pills? cane--someting? it is very embarasing and i realy need to get rid of it as soon as possible. thank you so much for your help
Ok I have never iin my life had a slimmy clear/ lightly yellow discharge that smells ! Can someone pleasee explain this to me I'm 27 I'm kinda worried. Cause I haven't had sex in 3 months
The reason why you might of had a longer period, is because of the pill. As i am on the injection, and when i first got it done i was on for about 3 weeks of the month, but after about the 3ed injection my periods completely stoped.
i think i might have a similar thing to everyone else on here, but another cure for infections is apple cider vinegar just to give people another way of trying to solve it just take a cap full in fruit juice twice a day
i have the same thing too and is really pissing me of i thought it was toilet infection but after taking my drugs, i noticed no changes please someone should help me out....my email ***@****
I have this odor as well and the dicharge i have is like a creamy white color what could this mean? ive had this for months and i have been scared and embarrassed to see or ask a doc bout it..i feel uncomfortable with my boyfriend cus of the smell it gives off and plus many panties have been ruined by this. If someone has this same issue you can easliy email me ***@**** not sure if this is an infection of some sort t some type of std im actually scared of this and i have kept it quite from my friends and family.  someone please let me know
i dont really have a mother figure and i know if you dont have a clue about your body you shouldnt be having sex...put i get a discharge and its sometimes odorous. i shave and the usual but ive noticed for a long time that i hvae this weird discharge its creamy and white well most of the time but sometimes it not. ive had this problem for a long time. im scared and embarressed of the weird smell i put of sometimes. pleae email me at pruitt_morgan***@****
guys, dont listen to the people saying to "keep clean." excessively cleaning with water and soap can mess with the natural flora in the vagina and cause an infection, and all the symptoms mentioned. try to only wash with water and soap when you do #2 its fine to clean everything. otherwise avoid overwashing!
well..jus make sure u see a doc..i went today and said he needed to check my urine because at my age..this shouldnt happen..it might be an infection so everyone...shoud get checked out..plz

:0
>_>
O_o
inbox me for more info at....simone.***@****
i also have this smelling discharge and it makes me feel so embarased,dnt knw what to do
Try taking probiotics. Balance friendly bacteria. You get these from foods such as yogurt, nutrition stores known as Acidophelus Bifidus (write it down). It's all natural and boosts your immune system and you don't need to see a doctor to buy it. It's also not too expensive. Likely cheaper than antibiotics and much better for you.

Antibiotics have been known to actually cause Superbugs like MRSA which is a very hard illness to treat because it is antibiotic resistance. There are many other diseases that are caused from Antibiotics which can easily be transmitted from person to person by toilet seats and skin to skin contact. I have seen a few cases while working in a hospital and they treat it VERY serously. If not treated, it can kill people from something silly as a flu. (I used to work in paliative. Most common among old and sick.Look ut up)

Anyway. Try taking a natural root and give your body a good BOOST of nutrition. That should do the trick.

Good luck with it all. Let us know if it works for you.

Sincerely,

Kamaro13
tigilan mo nalang ang pakikipagchorva lalo na kung bata ka pa pala....sus!!!!

in english:

just stop having sex with anyone especially if you are young...duh! (because i think you are only a teenager base on the way you constract your wordings and concern....
actually i have the same condition as you and feeling..but my husband knew it and even my mother-in-law...as i remember i had this after my 1st intercourse with my husband after a long time of not doing it. ohhh but before the intercourse i already have a discharge for sometime but not smelly but after the intercourse i notice that the discharge is smelly and really ruined my undies...i though it's ruined because i'm acidic but it's getting worst but still even i have this discharge i still got my 1st pregnancy....and because i'm pregnant that's the 1st time i concerned it to my obgyne doctor coz' i'm afraid that time that it may affect may baby then my doctor gave me antibiotics then after that the smelly discharge dissapear...and i gave birth to a normal and beautiful healthy baby girl...=)) but after 3months+ of giving birth i notice it came back...now that is my concern...but because i had it before i'm not that scared but feels pissed because of it...what i'm doing now to save my undies is to wear sanitary napkins as if i have menstration/period. Tomorrow i am planning to visit my obgyne once again for cure...

Sharing this to you guys for you, not to worry that much and let you know that you're not alone in this world having that kind of problem(actually my mom-in-law just told me that her friend had it too and what the doctor advice her is a papsmear coz in different version she had it after her abortion to her child)...and the best thing to do is to visit a doctor/ob-gyne for a better solution.
just to add up........mine is not itchy...just a smelly discharge....sometimes it sticky, sometimes its very liquid and sometimes its like a moisturizing cream as i can describe....and sometimes its a color white and when dry it became yellw...and when it's the sticky one it's color light yellowgreen..or simply yellowish...
Hi question, why are you answering a post that is now 6 years old, I think by now she is having a good laugh at all the people still answering her post.
Just a thought
Please help me out i have a bad and smelling discharge it started a month ago..i went to the nearest clinic they gave me antibiotics and then it stopped smellin for a while  and i got my periods so now the medication is finished and now the discharge is terribly smelling again what do i use to stop the discharge from smelling?
Hi there.  Well, bacterial vaginosis can be quite resilient.  You may need another course of flagyl and I'd have them prescribe some for your partner as well as passing it back and forth does happen.  Just stay on top of it as it can be difficult to eradicate.  good luck
I have a fishy smelling odour what could it be?
I have the same problem. I rush to the bathroom all the time to try to make sure it isn't my menstrual cycle but its just creamy colored discharge. My vaginal area does not itch at all but it leaves this very fishy smell...
Help me out please.
i have the same problem but the thing is that i've had that strong fishy smell &discharge since i was little prolly since 3rd or 4th grade.. i dont know what i have but i'm 22 now and i'm tired of this...im not sexuality active either.. i cant cuz im too embarssed
I am 17 and this same thing is happening to me. I don't know what to do about it.
You may already know this but the "white crap" is called discharge and it starts two years before you get your period, so yes the white stuff is normal. However as for the smell, i get that to and i am not quite sure if that is normal or not. I know that every vagina has its own natural smell but I don't know if it's supposed to come up in your discharge. If it helps you feel better i get smelly discharge too and as far as i know its normal. You should ask a parent for further info.
Me and my bf did it before but this time a few days later i had a smelly discharge and it feel different down there is it because he was rough?
you can use suppository neo penotran for 7 nights.still you better go to your ob :) stay healthy!
I have a discharge that is really smelly its yellow creamy I have had downs done and everything was fine it is not itchy or red its a really bad smell and the discharge flux from me can anyone else help since my doc is no good thanks
You might want to make sure you don't have chlamydia. What you are experiencing sounds like an STI or STD as it's most often called. However you have to worry about that if you have had unprotected sex with someone who may be infected (had sex with an infected person or had oral sex performed on them by an infected person). Otherwise it could be Bacterial Vaginosis which is quite common and not necessarily sexually transmitted. See the links below to compare symptoms (http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/guide/chlamydia, http://women.webmd.com/guide/sexual-health-vaginal-infections). Both are treatable via antibiotics but you have to be diagnosed and get a script from your OB-GYN