Something in the back of my throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Something in the back of my throat?

I have felt like something is stuck in the back of my throat for 4 days now.

I am prone to canker sores but they are usually painful and in the front of my mouth.

I do not have any kind of gastro problem, but I did have a strain of HPV that caused removal of pre-cancerous cells earlier this year. I had read that women who have HPV sometimes get oral cancer.

It feels like a piece of food is back there and I just can't swallow it, it is on the right side of my throat. It does not look like a white spot nor a large bump.
If you are a smoker maybe it has something to do with that also.  I would look in the mirror again like I suggested erlier and see if you see a white thing.  If you do it'll eventually shake itself loose.  Mine does not cause pain either and I can eat and breathe as well.    Good Luck
I also suffer from these little white yellowish balls on my tonsil in the back of my throat and it is annoying. I dig them out like my doctor told me because he suffers from it also. He says they are little food particles that get stuck back there and smell real bad and hurt until you remove them.  He told me to take a little bit of peroxide and water on a Q-tip and swab the back of your throat where the holes are and also the little white thing hanging. I did that and it goes away for awhile and then comes back. He says my tonsils are deteriating.  I don't know if that's what going on with you but that is my story also. Good luck
Tonsils, Strep, or maybe a swollen uvula (that thing that hangs down) in the back of the throat.. Can't know unless you see your Doc. Sorry.
Good luck! J
Please schedule an appointment with your doctor.  There is no one here that can give you better advice than that.  It could be due to your HPV or it could be something as simple as swollen glands, but no one can tell you exactly what it is without a thorough examination.
I sometimes get something in the back of my throat as well.  I open my mouth and say AHHH while looking in the mirror and it is a white thing sticking to something back there. It does not hurt it is just VERY annoying.  Someone told me it was a starch ball.  I can eventually get it out.  I just keep trying to clear my throat or you can try to hock a loogie (dont know how else to put it.)  That sometimes shakes my little thing loose.  Like I said I don't know if you have the same thing but that is my story.   Hope it helps.
does it feel as if you can't breathe properly? I had this and went to the ER..the dr checked me over and come to find out that I had an ear infection..took the antibiotics for 7 days and it went away..HTH
I can breathe and eat properly. It is not causing me any pain.

I can feel it more when I smoke.
YES THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE.   I am so glad I am NOT alone w/this.  They do not hurt but they do smell really bad.  Like I said sometimes I can get them off by clearing/hocking my throat or even eating a peice of bread has gotten it off.  They do get annoying and sometimes feel like they can gag you.  Mine get pretty big sometimes.  Well thanks for describing what it is.  I could not quite get the description out.  LOL  Thanks
yeah,, i had that white spot also! it looked like a piece of food stuck there. at first i was worried about what it could be but after consulting an online forum, i found many people have it and they advised to take it off with your toothbrush. it sunded scary to reach your toothbrush deep there! i took courage and took it off with my finger. and it was gone. i didnt have it again. and hope i wont! but in your case, cawly, i would advise that u see your doc as u said it is not that white thing and because u smoke. i believe we should consult as soon as possible when we see things strange in any of our respiratory organs. because they r vital. maybe its only minor, which i hope it is, but please do consult.and keep us informed!
bye n take care..
Usually white pockets on the back of the throat and laying on the tonsil like you guys are describing is STREP!! A simple test run at any FP office should be done. Takes like 5 minutes.  Done by swabbing the white pocket and entire back of throat with a large q-tip and tested right in the office. If positive it should be treated with antibiotics because case after case of untreated strep can result in Rheumatic Fever and damage to the heart. Yes the heart! So please, if you guys are seeing these white pockets, go see your family doc for a simple test!
(I am NOT trying to imply that ALL white pockets are Strep or that white pockets MUST be present to identify Strep.) I am NOT a doctor. Only your doc can dx you.
I have it too. And you are right - it does smell really bad. I am so glad I'm not alone either. It looks almost like a very tiny piece of macaroni or something once you get it out. Does anyone know for sure what this is?
Hello everyone this  is my first post but my question is similiar to the other.For the last few days it has been feeling like I have something stuck in my throat that I just can't seem to cough up well I happened to look in the mirror and said ahhh and far back in the back on the sides of my throat are these whitish yellowish spots well I got a q tip and started to rub them off they hurt a little after I rub them off and is a little blood and when I cough hard there is some bloody tinge spit.But they look like little plaque balls or something. What do you think this could be.It is so very annoying and a little scaryas well all help and feed back will be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like Strep Throat. You need to see your Family Doc for a culture. Takes about 5 minutes and then a script for antibiotics. Strep is nothing to play with as it can lead to Rheumatic Fever and cause damage to the heart.
So get it checked out and don't mess with the white pockets since you can spread the infection.
Good Luck--J
I also had this mysterious white thing in my throat.  My doctor said it is a very condensed ball of mucous/phlegm and they can get caught in the crevices of your tonsils.  He said they usually pop out on their own and aren't life threatening.  He said his daughter gets them a lot and the little ball o phlegm will actually pop out of her mouth while she is talking.  I know, gross! And yes, they do smell! After reading everyone's response though, I would get checked out just to make sure it isn't something else.  Good luck!
Your problems all seem simliar to mine, however, I tried to look at mine with a flashlight, and it is too far down, also, feels like it has a tendancy to be on the right side of my throat, but, it INDEED feels like phlegm and just STAYS there, I cannot blow it out, I cannot swallow it down, and it gags me.  I have had this for about three months, HOPING it will go away.  I sleep with a CPAP machine, but have only had that 2 weeks, so THAT can't be it.  I have a doctor's appt. on December 2nd, but, any suggestions???
The little white "balls" in the tonsils are not necessarily strep.  They are tonsil stones or tonsilloliths (do a google search, you'll find plenty of info on them).  Both my sister and I suffered from this ailment.... it's bacteria/food particles that get stuck in the crypts of your tonsils (fun, huh?).  My sister, however, also had chronic tonsillitis with it and eventually had her tonsils out at 26 years of age.  Not a fun surgery, but no more antibiotics for inflamed tonsils and no more tonsil stones from her!  I asked my doctor about them once, because it would seem to me that degree of bacteria buildup in your tonsils would be indicative of a chronic infection, period, but he seemed to disagree and pass it off as no big deal.  The ARE however, nasty, uncomfortable, and smelly!  Good luck to all that have this.... I've tried lots of things to no avail in getting rid of them.  They seem to come and go (but are worse when I have post nasal drip/sinus issues).  If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
I also feel like something is stuck in my throat.I don't have tonsils since i was 5.I ate something it it didn't go right.Been 8 days now.Its VERY annorying feeling.Will i be ok?
Hi, I've had the same problem except I can't see mine from looking down my throat.  I was tested for a pharangyal pouch at the ENT department but came back negative and the consultant has put me on gastro resistant tablets and nasal spray as I have sinus problems to boot.

Neither I feel are working, as I have brought up the creamy coloured particles twice in 2 days.  Am getting very down as I feel people can smell them on my breath and is very annoying having to play around with my neck to try and dislodge them.  Fingers crossed when I go back to the hospital in 2 weeks they can suggest something.
I have the same problem. I just pop them out when i can see them as they do really get irritating. I got told that it is plaque build up an food that gets stuck in your tonsil crevices. They dont hurt but annoying as my breath tends to smell when i have them aswel. Me and my sister call them tonsil terds.

Good luckX
I, too, have this problem.  It seems to surface when I have eaten foods with waxy coatings, like chocolate covered candies.  To dislodge the tonsil stones, it sometimes helps to drink a soft drink like the lemon-lime kinds with a lot of carbonation.  I'm sure it's not scientifically proven, but it happens to be a coincidence that when I drink a fresh, cold lemon-lime soda, one of these annoying things surfaces.  Then, follow up with regular daily teeth brushing and mouthwash.  
In July of 2004 I got my tonsils removed after seeing an ear nose ant throat specialist.  You see, I was coughing up those white, stinky balls about three times a week.  They would get stuck in the back of my throat, and made my breath smell so bad.  I told my dentist about it while I was getting my routine cleaning, and she referred me to the ear nose and throat speacialist.  He told me that since I was coughing them up so much, it was time to get my tonsils removed.  He said that they were a combination of old foods that I had eaten, and they would get stuck in the folds of my tonsils.  I have my toselictomy in July of 2004, and I haven't had any problems since then.
but i have like a purple spot on my tousil an i kinda itch what could it be?
Wow, you sound exactly like me.  I was just recently diagnosed with a strain of HPV.  I was still getting used to that when my gyno told me that I had mild displayia...(hope I spelled that right) and that I would need to have what is called a leep procedure.  Right now my body is healing from that and now in the last couple of months I have noticed something in the back of my throat. It is white and it really doesn't hurt, but is very annoying.  The first time I noticed I went to the doctor a few days later and I really do want to say that it was gone, but I truly can not remember... on that visit I was diagnosed with a really bad ear infection.  Just recently it (the white pocket) has made another appearance in the back of my throat and I dreading what it could be.  I really don't think I can handle anymore surprises right not.  I was always really healthy and what you could consider almost a goody-goody and after 2 boyfriends I have been diagnosed with HPV.  I know that my first was not the carrier of HPV he was also a virgin and I had a beautiful pap smear while we were dating and after we had broken up. My 2nd boyfriend, on the other hand still denies to this day that he cheated on me...I guess I will never really know for sure...
Hello. To those of you who have the white-yellow stuff in the back of your throat, it is called "cryptic tonsilitis". It happens when pockets in your throat either collect food, or it may be bacteria that grows there on its own, I have heard both theories. There is no cure that I have heard of, but it does help me to gargle with mouth wash every day. Also, it seems to be more prevalent when I have ingested some kind of dairy product like milk or yogurt. I know this sounds gross, but if they are making your throat sore, push on your tonsils with a wet q-tip and they will usually come out easily and your throat will feel better right away. I hope this is of some help.
- Christina
It's a tonsilolith or tonsil stone:  check out  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

I had them as a young adult, but recently had two reappear near my left tonsil.  I fabricated a length of wire looped back on itself with a small loop of wire at the apex (to emulate a handle with a small loop of wire on it).  I used approx.. 24 guage single strand copper wire (making sure it was a continuous piece with no ends/sharps edges!), then I just dug them out.  After two or three attempts at each one, each popped out.  

I then used a bend eye dropper to suck out a bit of left-over debris.  Now they look spic and span.

I should have probably washed my hands and all these tools, but I didn't.  

Good luck!
wow how interesting, I had these as a child and I named them "throat pearls"..now my middle daughter has them as well, and has pain when she gets them..I used to take mine out with a Q-tip and felt better after that..I have had no further problems with my throat or tonsils.
For 5 yrs I was having problems w/ white balls getting stuck in the back of my mouth. Finally I went to an Ear and throat specialist and was told that I needed to have my tonsils removed. It's been 1yr since I've had them removed and I still feel like i have something stuck in the back of my mouth. I find myself constantly clearing my throat hoping that it will remove whatever is stuck. It feels like I have bumps or something back there. Amy
I have had these "throat pearls" too. They are nasty buggers. I have had them on and off during my life and when I remembered back, I was under stress each and every time they appeared. Here's the thing nobody seems to know- whether you are actually under stress or taking drugs such as caffeine or nicotine that cause symptoms of stress you will be victim to these things, particularly if you are listening to someone giving you audio you do not like. They are talking in a way that you do not like, telling you stuff you already know, communicating at a learning speed not your own (making you roll your eyes all the time), or outright emotionally overloading you with loud noises. You will find that your ears are over producing earwax at the very same time that these nasty "throat pearls" show up in an effort to block the sound or cleanse the ear of the offense. The wax is coming from inside the ear! Here is what you do: Take care of yourself by separating yourself from the offensive person(s), try to quit the stimulant drugs (prescription too) that make you over-react to the offenses, and take warm showers to loosen the sinuses and clean the wax from your ears without sticking sharp objects into them (I am a big fan of the Q-tip, but stay shallow), when you are loosening everything up with warm water the "pearls" come out of the tonsils quite easily and will go away if you are able to take your reactive behavior down. The trick is not to be acting as if you are not affected by the offender (that is what caused the over-production of wax), but not to have to react to the offender because you are not there to be offended. Hope you all get this, because the act of being unaffected is not just giving you "pearls". There are other symptoms you are experiencing that are far more life threatening that some stinky wax-buildup. Take care.
i've been having these for as long as i remember and i consulted my family doc about 10 years ago.  He didn't know what they are but he didn't seem to see it as a health threat.  

i have not notice any particular pattern with their coming and going.

i use a long thin ear wax scooper to remove mine.  u can find one in ur local chinatown.  hope this helps.
These throat pearls are not, in and of themselves, a threat, but they are a sign of your health being threatened by stress. They are just one of many symptoms like bumps on the back of the tongue, teeth rapid deterioration, skin problems (pimples, excema, psorisis), intestinal problems (no vitamin utilization or bowel movements) leading to lower back pain. The point is-  if there is no stress, there won't be any symptoms.
I just got a "throat pearl" recently and scraped it out with my fingernail. Recently I have been cleaning my ear with q-tips 2-3 times a day. I was looking at some wiki entries and found that i could be inflicting trauma on my ears by doing so. I have also been hard of hearing lately. If you clean your ears alot take a break, but this may just be me.
I have creptic tonsils and the white junk that I use q-tips on. I also have been under alot of stress and seem to have the ear wax issue you were talking of. I was wondering if anyone has ever hurt the back of there throat getting the white stuff out? I did it about a month ago and I have had a spot on the left side that I can't see anything but know its there and when I swallow or talk sometimes it hurts. It sometimes send pain to my ear also. Has anyone experienced this before and if so how long did it take to heal?
I get it too. I asked my doctor about it about five years ago, and it's basically just food particles that get stuck in your tonsils and then start to rot (that's why they smell bad). My doctor said it's normal, and nothing to worry about. He also said that people with more crevices in their tonsils are more prone to this, since food gets stuck more easily. They do come out by themselves after a while...but I just clean them out with my fingernail once in a while.
wow i never knew there was so many of us 'something white in the back of my throat' sufferers. I just realized i had developed these little buggers today, at first i thought it was just a sore throat but after using a flashlight i saw that they were little white things. I think mine are caused by a MASSIVE overload of stress i've been having for this past week, so tomorrow i'm shall go to the doctor and see what they are--i'm pretty sure they're nothing serious as many of the above posters have explained, but i shall go and check and report my findings!
I have one of those white things in my throat, and in a few hours I am going to the doctors. I will let you know what it is when I find out.
I just would like to thank everyone for all the tips on how to get rid of that stupid white thing. Ive had it twice now and the first time I was freakin out cuz I thought it was a tooth or something growing in my throat.. My mom told me to gargle salt water and it vannished when I gaged on the water. But the second time I tried that it did not work and I searched white spots on throat and this site came up! Thank you all! You have been very helpful and I am very glad to knowthat I can just pick the darn thing out with my finger!
i Have Those Stupid White Thing's in The back of my throat and they wont go away iv tried a Lot of thing's :(
if You gargle salt water will That make you feel ill, or be sick ?
i might try and get rid of it with a toothbrush or somthing because im SICK of them now !!!!!!

im glad im not the only person that gets it because it used to really depress me . iv had them for about 4 years now.
those little white things are called tonsil stones.  there is a website that tells you about them and some things that the doctor can do for you, but all in all you are stuck with them. I have had them for at least 4 years now.  If you are feeling any pain or your glands in your neck are swollen, then you need to see a doctor ASAP!!  
I get those little white things in the back of my throat, usually in a "pocket" on the right side.  I believe they are food particles, and when a manage to dig one out they are very smelly.  They are annoying because sometimes they are larger than other times.  I know they are particulary bad because my wife says my breath stinks and when I look in the mirror I can see one in the pocket.  Sometimes I can cough it out, but must times I need to did it out. Q-tips work sometimes but i use a thin, polished rounded end chopstick to dig it out of the pocket.  They are very annoying and come and go depending on my stress levels.

I am so glad to see I am not the only one who suffers with them.
I am a young adult male and I have had these for as long as I can remember. I can confirm that this is food turned bacteria which would explain the offensive smell most commonly associated with bodily waste (food turned to bacteria)...I have heard of this relating to some type of ear association but either way, I find it easiest to vibrate your throat in a "flem (phlegm) removal" fashion as it loosens the ball(s) and brings then forward. ..Anyway this forum has disgusted me now lol
I sorta have the same thingg.
I feel like there is a tiny little ball in the middle of my throat.
It doesnt hurt at all, but i feel like I wanna try throwing up just to get it out. I've tried making myself gag, I have tried drinking something, I have tried an enhailer, I have tried sitting in my bathroom with the HOT water running so the room would fill up with steam, ect...I have also tried taking several different kinds of medicines. It however will not go away.
Sometimes I describe it as a ball of hair, but I know its not.
It's really annoyingg.
And it makes me cough a lot.
Expecially when I take a deep breath.
I had a doctor apt tomorrow at 2pm, but I can't stand it.
I can't even sleep, because it is soo annoyinggg,
So, I am going to drive up to the hospital when I am done getting on actual cloths instead of pj's.
:]
I'll let you know whutt the doctor says, but I bet all he is going to do is give me antibiotics and send me on my way...
and then he will tell me to come back in 3 days if it doesnt go away..

That's only my theory though..
I tend to panic a lot while I have this problem with my throat,
So I kinda have a hard time breathing and I tend to shake.

But hopefully the doctor can help because I am tired of this ****.
It's bull.
I just wanna be able to sleep for once.
I havent gone to bed in about a week and a half noww.
I'll update you guys and let you know whutt he said..
in the mean timee, can someone please try and help me find whutt i have?
I believe that the white stuff in the back of throats is accumulated due to white flour and sugar. Eat less of it and see what happens
I have this as well.  I did go to a doctor because I thought I had an infection a few years ago.  Unfortunately it is more embarrassing and annoying than anything else.  It is food and mucous and debris that collects in that flap in the side of your throat.  When the flap fills up, then there is debris on the outside that is visible when you open your mouth.  It usually isn't painful unless you let it stay there too long and a small infection starts.  I can usually feel it happening every couple of weeks because I am so grossed out by the fact that it happens to me.  It has a horrible odor which then makes me wonder if I have bad breath all the time so I am meticulous about cleaning in there!  If you have a lump there, there is probably some stuff trapped inside that you need to push out.  As far as I know, there is nothing you can do, but I am going to see about getting an appt and check it out again.  Good luck!
Yes I have suffered from this condition for YEARS. I never knew what was wrong with me, and I never heard of it. After doing some research I found out they are called Tonsil Stones. There is a proper name for it, but I just say tonsil stones (easier to pronounce.) Well, after seeing my dentist yesterday, I asked him about it, he told me he gets them too and there very common. He said it is bactria, food particales, and mucus particals. It all gets stuck in these creveses of your tonsisls. IT then forms small balls of hard matter. They eventually work their way out on their own. And yes they smell HORRIBLE. The best way I can describe it would be to NOT floss for like a MONTH and then floss your back molars real good and then SMELL the floss. Then multiply that stench like times 20! That is what they smell like! It causes chronic bad breath and you feel like you got  a piece of food stuck in your throat. There is nothing you can do other than get your tonsisls removed! I guess I will prolly have to live with chronic bad breath and stones for the rest of my life. I just hate it!!! But I know now that I am not alone...and neither are you!
THIS IS A BUILDUP OF PLAQUE THAT IS DAYS, WEEKS, OR EVEN MONTHS / YEARS OLD.  SOME PEOPLE DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THEM... THEY OFTEN HAVE THE WORST BREATH. I SPIT OUT MY 1ST ONE WHEN I WAS 12 AND IM 32 NOW SO I DONT KNOW IF IT'LL EVER STOP WITHOUT HAVING MY TONSILS REMOVED. I DONT BELIEVE IN SURGERY 2 MUCH SO INSTEAD I CAME UP WITH THIS.  GET A LONG METAL OR PLASTIC SKINNY STICK (I USED A TOOTH I PULLED OUT OF A BRAND NEW AFRO PICK), HOLD YOUR BREATH. DIG IN. YOU MAY BE SURPRISED @ HOW MANY ARE BACK THERE. MY WIFE HAD SO MANY 1 TIME THAT WE WERE IN THERE FOR AN HOUR BUT I COULD FINALLY STAND TO KISS HER AGAIN. PEROXIDE BREAKS THEM DOWN, YES BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO GO IN AND GET THEM OUT. OPEN UP THE POCKET AND MOVE IT AROUND THEY WILL COME OUT PRETTY EASILY. I DO IT ONCE EVERY OTHER DAY AND DO MY KIDS 2 AS I'VE NOTICED THEY HAVE THEM AS WELL. IT KEEPS US WITH FRESH BREATH AND YOU'LL IMMEDIATELY NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BECAUSE YOUR SALIVA WONT TASTE PUTRID ANYMORE. WATCH HOW PEOPLE WONT MIND YOUR WHISPERS ANYMORE ALSO LOL. HOPE I'VE BEEN HELPFUL.
I have this white thing too, on the right side. It doesn't hurt, it never comes out or go away, I don't have bad breath. It's been there as long as I can remember. Does this sound like the thing everyone else is talking about?
I sometimes get these and have found an easy way to dislodge them all. When you brush your teeth, brush your tongue at the same time. To remove these annoying things you must stick out your tongue and whilst you are brushing it, bang your tonsils with the hard plastic of the brush. It isn't comfortable but you will find that you remove tonnes of these yucky things. I find that I only need to to this vary occasionally because it works so well. Good luck 2 u all.
wow,i too get those white things. i would get them every now in then. starting when i was a child (i am 39 now)  i just read a post someone put up saying ear wax has something to do w/it. i just went to the doctors 'cause i thought something was in my ear. i felt like my ear had a bug in it. my ear was kinda wet inside but he said i had no bug,(lol ) or wax in there. then a week later i started coughing up a few of the white things.when i was younger,the doctor said it was food trapped on the sides in the back of my throat. sometimes it feels like they are way down in my throat.can food get trapped way down on the throat?it seems this past week and ahalf instead of coughing up one  or two ,its been more.  i coughed up 3 and i can tell there is more cause of the bad smell  and taste my mouth has. and everytime i swallow i can tell its down there.u can't even swallow these things. they still come back up? u would think if it was food stuff it would get swallow down w/drinks or other food? i am glad to see i am not alone with this prob. i don't talk about it cause i don't want people to think i have some weird thing going on w/me. has anyone ever took the white/yellowish thing into a doctor to have them test it?
SAME SCENARIO HERE!  I THOUGHT THE WHOLE TIME THAT THE WHITE/YELLOWISH STUFF WAS PIECES OF CORN THAT'S BEEN LODGED FOR WEEKS AND BEEN BROKEN DOWN BY MY SALIVA OR SOMETHING.  WELL, I GUESS EITHER CORN OR TYPES OF FOOD, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT LIFE-THREATENING, I GUESS I'LL LIVE WITH IT.  I ACTUALLY SCRAPED OUT THOSE ANNOYING THINGS WITH A DENTAL PICK ONE TIME.  IM SURE IT WASNT THE SAFEST METHOD, BUT IT SURE WORKED.
Im so glad others have had this.  I tried researching this a couple of years ago with not results, probably due to wrong keywords.  I get them everyweek but I just started using herbal mouthwash and noticed alot of them coming out, hopefully getting forced out?  Now I have a serious question I'm hoping someone can answer.  I get them on both my left and right tonsils but now im noticing something right in the back of my throat between my right and left tonsils.  Is it normal for a white bump to form directly at the back of my throat between both tonsils?  Please give me answers because Im paranoid when it comes to diseases and Im hoping it's not throat cancer because I smoke.  =)
Check this out... Hope it helps!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith
hi i am 15 years old and i have this problem too. i just got it for the first time today. i was just diagnosed with strep yesterday so i dont know if this is a side effect and will go away with the meds the put me on? it hurts extremely bad. when i breath its like the ball of puss is rattling around in the back of my throat. it is def not comfy. i have no idea whaat to do because gargeling doesnt help and neither does q-tips. any ideas????
They are called Tonsil Stones.  They are harmless but rather annoying and of course stinky.  I suggest buying a mechanical solder sucker from the likes of Radio Shack, it is a long skinny spring actuated tube that creates a short burst of vacuum and will suck those little buggers out if held up against it.
I have had this irritating feeling at the back of my throat for about a week now.I examined my throat several times but didnot notice anything unsual until  one  Sunday I saw someht ing like another tongue. I am scared.
If you pay attention to what you eat you can really help this situation.  Foods like cookies, granola, nutts and oatmeal all are foods that are easily stored in the throat if you have throat pockets.  These can even cause headaches if you have one stuck in your throat.  Sinus problems also contribute to the pockets in your throat expanding. Please pay attention to the foods you eat and watch how fast your throat fills up with these things.   Example: Eat nuts for one week if your not allergic and watch the amount of white balls that end up forming in the back of the throat.  I've been doing my own study just because everytime I had a whiteball in my throat I noticed I would get a headache.  I personally feel like this is a form of diverticulitis.  Sounds goofy! But the same symptoms occur when you get this in the throat.  
Oh you guys just have tonsil stones. Pretty much everyone with tonsils gets them, but most people don't notice. And some people are prone to getting more.

They're just from calcified mucus and sometimes food particles that collects and hardens in your tonsils. You can pop them out if your gag reflex allows it.

But don't freak out, they're not dangerous.
this is common for everyone. i have researched it a hundred times. everyone gets them and they are very annoying and smell horrible. nothing to worry about. no need to go to a doctor. they are what makes breath smell bad at times . just get em out and brush ur skanky teeth
I have does to i first notice them when i was like 12 now im 14 and they always appears on the right side of my throat. Could any one help me?
i have been dealing with this white tonsil plaque for a few years now.  it is absolutely disgusting.  how i get rid of this build up of bacteria: i use my electric toothbrush to brush both sides of my tonsils. that does a good job of loosening them so that i can hock them up.(it's better to do this upon waking in the morning so you don't have to worry about gagging yourself to the point of vomiting.  i did it once a few hours after eating and started to regurgitate)  my husband used to have them a long time ago but he says that since he started flossing every night before bed, he no longer gets them.  i try to floss daily and gargle with a listerine/hydrogen peroxide mix to keep it from building up.  however, i still get them occassionally.  hope this is helpful to someone.
I had my first tonsil stone today and had no clue what it was. I have been sick and have had the worst sore throat. I got better with all the other symptoms but my sore throat kept getting worse. Today I looked closely at the back of my throat and saw a white thing. I touched it and it came out. I slid my finger down the spot and several more came out. They were disgusting and smelly and I have been freaked out all day. I'm glad I found this site to calm me down. I thought I was some sort of freak and the only one. Lol.  
I have the same problem. It feels though something is stuck at the back of my throat. It worsens after smoking and taking caffenated drinks such as cofee and tea. I seriously don't know what the problem is. I tried looking for white stuffs, but couldn't find them i guess the problem is somewhere deeper. If anyone of you you know whats happening. Please reply, as this thing is starting to get me down.
These are not food particles, they are, as cawly researched, tonsil stones or "tonsilloliths".

http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xlith.htm

This page explains them.
you get them from sucking ****
It has begun when I start to feel something in the back of my trout.
When I look in the mirror, I did not find anything.
I think it some of the "from time to time worry on something". However, now it was annoying. I can't go on with my day, everything looks black, I was down.
In the noon, I look in the mirror I find out that when I pushed up my Addams apple, I see white spots, lay in pockets at the right side of the trout. I think "oh that's is it, the enemy here" I make right away an appointment with the doctor, I think "that was causing my bothersome feeling.
Now I shine with a desk light in my trout, (it stands on his own, so I can do other things with my hands.
I hold a mirror, pick up a long thing which has a point.
It takes me a while to become familiar with my operation.
It is two pockets one above the other, from the above, I take out the white yellowish enemy. It was a size. And from beneath it takes me longer, but eventually I had succeeded to take out both.
Now I’m hoping it is the end of the war here.
I still need to pray, and ask to go-d to save me until a deep age.  
The best way to remove these particles is with either compressed air, or a jet of water.  Water is not comfortable.

I used a can of dust remover.... No, I did not inhale it.  But I needed a quick blast of air.  It will get them all out.  The red tube is perfect for directing towards the particles.  Even IF it left a bad taste, it was WELL worth a rinse.  A lot of those particles were built up, and one blast got them all out.  

The blast of air just plain works.  

They will come right out with no pressure, scraping, wounding, or bleeding.

I've experienced the same thing since I was little.  I would put my tongue back there and press.  Eventually it will come out.  And boy did it smell.  If you take it and rub it together with two fingers, OMG the odor is so bad.  I think this is why I always have bad breath.  I'm now 48.  Ugh!
I am 13 years old and my throat has been hurting for about 3days now. I was looking in the mirror and while looking down my throat I noticed a white thing in the back of my throat but its not like a ball or anything. I'm very nervous as to what it could be. Please helpp mee
I just realised that this is an easy thing to get rid of. Toothbrush, paste and hot water get rid of them quickly... yes you gag but it's better than the awful taste in the mouth ! :-)  Scrap the tonsil a bit then gargle & rinse with hot water. Afterwards, brush teeh & toung and get rid of the yellow paste on the toung. Guess it helps much to get rid of the awful bacteria.

Good luck & hygene to all.
there tonsil stones . they normally wont bother you but the bigger they get the more bothersome they are . you can go to the doctors and they will use like a water pik and clean them out or they will come out on there own or you can get a q tip and press them out if they are bothering you so much . but it is nothing to be alarmed about I used to have them but they have since gone away . i gargle with mouthwash a few times a day and salt water to clean it out so i no longer have this problem but they were very annoying to have but don't worry about it more people have this problem than you know
I also get this. It has been more prevelant the past few months and I am now 55 yrs old. I thought is might be from nasal drip down the back of my throat but whatever causes it it is good to know that its a common thing and most people get it. Yes it smells horrible and I keep it cleaned out at the first sign that there is something there by simply using my finger to dig around and get it out. Thanks everyone for your honesty and your postings.
Hi, everyone, the thing that we are talking about is called tonsil stone, you can watch from YouTube, I think doctor would recommend you guys to talk it out by yourself. I have this thing as well and take it out easily after all if you practice to the mirror.
Oh, use keyword tonsil stone in YouTube and you guys will get it.
Good luck
I was in the mirror brushing my teeth & opened up really wide & noticed in the back of my mouth on the ride side alongside my tonsil a white little ball pasted against the back of my mouth. I tried to put my finger back there to see if i could remove it, but no luck. I noticed for the past couple of months a very bad taste in my mouth, but not coughing up little white smelly balls. I know about those thingys....lol My family experience those every now & then...strep throat, but never these stones people have been talking about. This one I noticed last night is actually pasted in a pocket in the back of my mouth & I can't get it out because I begin to gag if I keep trying.The back of my tongue stays sore all the time especially when I get up in the morning. I dont know if this is TOnsilitis or what. I just got off the phone & made an appt with my Primary Doctor for this Friday. This is so frustrating because it's a very bad taste in my mouth & Im always hoarse like I've been screaming all day. If this is your story....please respond & help. Thank you kindly. Need Answers!!!
I posted a comment or should I say I asked a question!! Since then I went on youtube & looked up tonsil stones, and that's not what I'm seeing in the back of my throat. This white stone looking thing is implanted in the back of my throat on the right side in a little pocket, & can't be removed by anything that I do. I've tried Brushing back that far, picking in that pocket with a Q-tip, using a sterile rounded tweezer, gargling, but it is deep in the pocket. I'm scared, and the back of my tongue has a slight white/yellowish coating on it. I am a smoker which is not helping. The taste in my mouth is horrible, but especially when I suck up from the back of my throat (sorry to sound so gross), & clear my throat. I am very concerned, and I stated before I scheduled an appt with my Primary for this Friday; so hopefully I can get an answer to this, and let everyone know the real reason for this.
Thank god for this forum... I had this sensation of something at the back of the left side of my throat. Went to the GP today and he said he saw something white there. He referred me to an ENT specialist the folloing day (tomorrow). After reading what all you helpful people have written, i went to the mirror armed with a torch light and there the white ball was! It was peeking out from the left side of the fold in my throat! Using my finger i dug it out. If you are going to do the same, make sure u be gentle and beware of gag reflex! Thanks guys!

Seann
I used to have the white chunks in my tonsils too. I had them for a few years and was told it was allergies and I was given a nasal spray. Do they sometimes fly out of your mouth when you cough or laugh?  Do you have more than one?  I had a few in each tonsil and I went to my ENT, he took one look and say "oh yeah, you have tonsillitis, those has to come out". So I had my tonsils removed at 26 and it sucked but I had never had that problem again and have felt great ever since. Hardly ever get a sore throat and no more bad breath. So go see ENT and get them out!!
haha I have noticed this also, and sometimes they break free when I sneeze! I got annoyed (this will probably be really gross sounding) recently and tried to swab it out, that didn't work because it was in the tonsil socket thingy, so i tried to tweezer it out, and after I poked it a bunch more came out and I was able to squeeze the tonsil to completely clear it out. thank god, that damn thing was annoying me for a couple days!
I was starting to feel like I had strep throat untill I looked  in my throat and seen that the little balls were moving around. Someone had told me to  use a toothpick to get them out so I tried it ut still a little sore. Just wondering if stress is really a factor?
There are many reasons why you can end up with that white thing on the back of your throat.

1.That just clearly means your toothbrush is fill with bacteria.(CHANGE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH)
2.The back of your tongue has bacteria on it.(SCRUB THE BACK OF YOUR TONGUE)
3.Your have to use Listerine or peroxide to wash your mouth out.(THREE TIMES A DAY)

THIS IS BIG SIGN OF AN INFECTION SUCH AS STRAP THROAT OR SORE THROAT.
Wow, these all do sound the same. My cousin just came to me with the same problem really scared she might have something or have to go through surgery. She thought it was a piece of food so she tried digging it out with her toothbrush. She started bleeding though and whenever she swallows it bothers her, but it doesn't exactly hurt ? I'm happy i just found this site because at least now she'll be better knowing she's not alone. If anybody ACTUALLY knows the answer and not just suggestions please let me, or everyone for that matter, know. Thanks and Good Luck to everyone with the symptoms.
I suffer from the same thing as you blondie72, I wasn't sure what in the world it was but yeah I would dig it out and it would smell and it goes away sometimes today I just had to do the same thing again...it's annoying.
i have them sometimes mine r seemingly from getting small bits of food in the little wholes in the throat and the mucus kinda creates a pearl around it overtime its gross but not unhealthy luckly... i got one out just now not hard to do i use my nail to scoop it out after cleaning alot lol
I have the same problem for years, my white-yellow piece is built up within 2 weeks which becomes biggest like a condensed small parmesan cheese shaped into a ball that stuck in the back of my throat on the right side.
When it still a small piece, I feel choked or gagged everytime when I swallow.  And then when it becomes biggest I feel like my throat was thrusted and hurt everytime when I swallow.  At this point I know that It becomes big enough for me to spit it out.  I then go to the bathroom and try to cough very loud and strong in order to get enough force under my throat to spit it out.  I cought at least 5 or 7 times, the very fisrt cough I would get a biggest piece sized equal to 3X of the Q-tip end flying out and dropping down to the sink, I keep coughing until the last small piece get out of my throat.  I use my index finger to crush on this ball to flatten it.  It looks like ground parmesan cheese.  It smell so bad.  
     After I spit it out, I can feel the difference, my breath clear and clean.  The mucus flows into my throat more that makes me try to clear my throat like every 10 seconds. The problem comes back within two weeks for me to clear it out again.

Bottom line is you can cough or hawk very strong to spit it out when it becomes big that make it will loose or break up easily.  Good luck!
maybe its ***
maybe its ***
Omg this has happened to me plenty of times smh I get it out w. My finger sometimes yu have to somehow make yur throat push upward use Ur throat muscles nd push the side of the hole w yur nail and it'll pop riqht out sometimes its more than one thing in there nd its nasty and annoying , iHate it when it first happened I was sooo worried until I jus put my finger in thee nd got it out or sometimes I will jus b sitting hr and it'll jus fall on my tongue nd it stinks Lmao best advice I can give yall lol I just wanted to kno what of really was and sounds to me like nature ???
Hey Christina!  JUST WANTED TO SAY, thanks for the Q-tip trick.  I've suffered from those smelly white little balls in the back of the throat for such a long time but other then spraying them down with a syringe, I knew no other way.  You've saved me with the Q-tip trick.  THANKS!
I had that smelly small ball stuck in the back of my throat for 4 days now.  They are bits of tiny food particles and mucus.  I just read Christina's post above about using a wet Q-tip and it works because it sticks to the back of your throat and you can forcefully push it out.  Also, once it's out, make sure to spray the hole out because their might be some remainders.  I use a syringe similar to the kind you get when you have your wisdom teeth but It's not too hard to find one, just make sure there is sufficient pressure
Look up Tonsil Stones
I have the same stuff forming on the back of my throat. I'm not a doctor, but I do notice that I get them when I drink a lot of energy drinks. I get them off with either a toothpick, or Q-tip and lay off the energy drinks a while. I notice then, I don't have the problem. I start back drinking the energy drinks, they come back again. So I have determined to lay off the energy drinks (which I'm learning is addictive). I will check into the ingredients in the energy drinks to see what may be causing the (what I think is) bacteria buildup and get back with you all. Again, this is only MY opinion
I have two white patches on the inside of my mouth on both sides just past the end of my teet. Took nystatin but didn't clear it up. Does anyone know what this is? No help from my doctor. He says it doesn't look suspicious. Should i see an ENT?
I took a little pill a few hours ago, and it got stuck (feels like) at back of mouth, near tongue but maybe in a "tuck" of the throat fatty tissue. I just don't want it to stay and grow into something. ;) I've had it before and soon I cough it out and swallow it. I know as we age our throats can get sloppy esp. if we carry an extra few pounds. I almost got this out with a clean finger, but it's there. It's up against (or near) where tonsil used to be when I was a kid. I have no cold, flu, or anything. I need something just a bit longer to open the fold (it's the best word I can think of) and let the rascal out. I think it's my little gut relaxer as for a bit it tasted like it. Yuck! I don't have long Q-tips (now I'll get some!). Maybe I can get a long pencil or whatever (after sterilizing it!) and move it out enough so it goes down where it belongs. ;)

This is nuts. but I get a kick out of this place. What a wonderful idea to have a doctor and group of people fishing for what to do if whatever happens. I'm bookmarking this one!

So any ideas as to how to just move that little thing (should have dissolved but no acid there is my guess) out. I hope it's not just a memory of earlier and a bit bothered by poking it!

As for those with yellowish stuff at back of throat please get a swab and dx as strep throat is still out there. I know. As a kid I had it. Got scarlet fever (kid I visited was not quarantined in the 1940s) and when it was over I then came down with Rheumatic Fever. You do NOT want that. My mom was a nurse for everything much like a doctor actually. So she moist hot packed me all over, the doctor (came to home) put me on sulfa (all there was). Mom pushed those hydrotherapy sessions daily if not more, and she ground up sulfa pills every four hours 24/7. I almost kicked the bucket and had petechiae (end stage stuff) and I bled from every orifice mom said. I was literally dying one night, was not expected to live. I turned a big corner I guess as about midnight I started to come out of it and quite quickly. I found out that some church people went to church to pray for me! Awww! Doctor, mom and dad prayed too. It actually was a miracle.

I feel our fields of influence in this world CAN and DO make miracles. I was a fundamentalist into my 30s. Now I believe spiritualism (think Dahli Lama, Wayne Dyer, many others...it's not evil as some believe; this stuff is around us always or we'd be dead, it's something we cannot see but we feel (I have an amazing "gut" and can usually tell who's down/up or whatever. I believe this all goes along with what happened to me that long night. Wayne Dyer addresses these "fields" and how far each one reaches. We can keep our world safe if we think we can. Literally! It's amazing. Thanks for letting me write this as it goes along with all illnesses I'm positive. I'm 76 now, and I remember the night I was an inch from dying (6 years old). There is a power out there always ready for us to ask whatever we need and believe it will come. I've done that many times for others from a distance. Just think/pray specifically for someone ill or in accident and be amazed at the results.

So now how to nudge the pill out. Please and thanks!!!

Tessie
Have you had it cultured at lab? Might be strep. Get doctor's help!!
Omg I get that to omg they stink so bad it's like lil puss balls I didn't know they were food particles they make my breath stink I brush my teeth like 3 times a day just be cause of that
Tagged ‘smelly white balls in throat’

Tonsilloliths Bad Breath Balls