Something in the back of my throat?
I have felt like something is stuck in the back of my throat for 4 days now.

I am prone to canker sores but they are usually painful and in the front of my mouth.

I do not have any kind of gastro problem, but I did have a strain of HPV that caused removal of pre-cancerous cells earlier this year. I had read that women who have HPV sometimes get oral cancer.

It feels like a piece of food is back there and I just can't swallow it, it is on the right side of my throat. It does not look like a white spot nor a large bump.
wow,i too get those white things. i would get them every now in then. starting when i was a child (i am 39 now)  i just read a post someone put up saying ear wax has something to do w/it. i just went to the doctors 'cause i thought something was in my ear. i felt like my ear had a bug in it. my ear was kinda wet inside but he said i had no bug,(lol ) or wax in there. then a week later i started coughing up a few of the white things.when i was younger,the doctor said it was food trapped on the sides in the back of my throat. sometimes it feels like they are way down in my throat.can food get trapped way down on the throat?it seems this past week and ahalf instead of coughing up one  or two ,its been more.  i coughed up 3 and i can tell there is more cause of the bad smell  and taste my mouth has. and everytime i swallow i can tell its down there.u can't even swallow these things. they still come back up? u would think if it was food stuff it would get swallow down w/drinks or other food? i am glad to see i am not alone with this prob. i don't talk about it cause i don't want people to think i have some weird thing going on w/me. has anyone ever took the white/yellowish thing into a doctor to have them test it?
SAME SCENARIO HERE!  I THOUGHT THE WHOLE TIME THAT THE WHITE/YELLOWISH STUFF WAS PIECES OF CORN THAT'S BEEN LODGED FOR WEEKS AND BEEN BROKEN DOWN BY MY SALIVA OR SOMETHING.  WELL, I GUESS EITHER CORN OR TYPES OF FOOD, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT LIFE-THREATENING, I GUESS I'LL LIVE WITH IT.  I ACTUALLY SCRAPED OUT THOSE ANNOYING THINGS WITH A DENTAL PICK ONE TIME.  IM SURE IT WASNT THE SAFEST METHOD, BUT IT SURE WORKED.
Im so glad others have had this.  I tried researching this a couple of years ago with not results, probably due to wrong keywords.  I get them everyweek but I just started using herbal mouthwash and noticed alot of them coming out, hopefully getting forced out?  Now I have a serious question I'm hoping someone can answer.  I get them on both my left and right tonsils but now im noticing something right in the back of my throat between my right and left tonsils.  Is it normal for a white bump to form directly at the back of my throat between both tonsils?  Please give me answers because Im paranoid when it comes to diseases and Im hoping it's not throat cancer because I smoke.  =)
Check this out... Hope it helps!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith
hi i am 15 years old and i have this problem too. i just got it for the first time today. i was just diagnosed with strep yesterday so i dont know if this is a side effect and will go away with the meds the put me on? it hurts extremely bad. when i breath its like the ball of puss is rattling around in the back of my throat. it is def not comfy. i have no idea whaat to do because gargeling doesnt help and neither does q-tips. any ideas????
They are called Tonsil Stones.  They are harmless but rather annoying and of course stinky.  I suggest buying a mechanical solder sucker from the likes of Radio Shack, it is a long skinny spring actuated tube that creates a short burst of vacuum and will suck those little buggers out if held up against it.
I have had this irritating feeling at the back of my throat for about a week now.I examined my throat several times but didnot notice anything unsual until  one  Sunday I saw someht ing like another tongue. I am scared.
If you pay attention to what you eat you can really help this situation.  Foods like cookies, granola, nutts and oatmeal all are foods that are easily stored in the throat if you have throat pockets.  These can even cause headaches if you have one stuck in your throat.  Sinus problems also contribute to the pockets in your throat expanding. Please pay attention to the foods you eat and watch how fast your throat fills up with these things.   Example: Eat nuts for one week if your not allergic and watch the amount of white balls that end up forming in the back of the throat.  I've been doing my own study just because everytime I had a whiteball in my throat I noticed I would get a headache.  I personally feel like this is a form of diverticulitis.  Sounds goofy! But the same symptoms occur when you get this in the throat.  
Oh you guys just have tonsil stones. Pretty much everyone with tonsils gets them, but most people don't notice. And some people are prone to getting more.

They're just from calcified mucus and sometimes food particles that collects and hardens in your tonsils. You can pop them out if your gag reflex allows it.

But don't freak out, they're not dangerous.
this is common for everyone. i have researched it a hundred times. everyone gets them and they are very annoying and smell horrible. nothing to worry about. no need to go to a doctor. they are what makes breath smell bad at times . just get em out and brush ur skanky teeth
I have does to i first notice them when i was like 12 now im 14 and they always appears on the right side of my throat. Could any one help me?
i have been dealing with this white tonsil plaque for a few years now.  it is absolutely disgusting.  how i get rid of this build up of bacteria: i use my electric toothbrush to brush both sides of my tonsils. that does a good job of loosening them so that i can hock them up.(it's better to do this upon waking in the morning so you don't have to worry about gagging yourself to the point of vomiting.  i did it once a few hours after eating and started to regurgitate)  my husband used to have them a long time ago but he says that since he started flossing every night before bed, he no longer gets them.  i try to floss daily and gargle with a listerine/hydrogen peroxide mix to keep it from building up.  however, i still get them occassionally.  hope this is helpful to someone.
I had my first tonsil stone today and had no clue what it was. I have been sick and have had the worst sore throat. I got better with all the other symptoms but my sore throat kept getting worse. Today I looked closely at the back of my throat and saw a white thing. I touched it and it came out. I slid my finger down the spot and several more came out. They were disgusting and smelly and I have been freaked out all day. I'm glad I found this site to calm me down. I thought I was some sort of freak and the only one. Lol.  
I have the same problem. It feels though something is stuck at the back of my throat. It worsens after smoking and taking caffenated drinks such as cofee and tea. I seriously don't know what the problem is. I tried looking for white stuffs, but couldn't find them i guess the problem is somewhere deeper. If anyone of you you know whats happening. Please reply, as this thing is starting to get me down.
These are not food particles, they are, as cawly researched, tonsil stones or "tonsilloliths".

http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xlith.htm

This page explains them.
you get them from sucking ****
It has begun when I start to feel something in the back of my trout.
When I look in the mirror, I did not find anything.
I think it some of the "from time to time worry on something". However, now it was annoying. I can't go on with my day, everything looks black, I was down.
In the noon, I look in the mirror I find out that when I pushed up my Addams apple, I see white spots, lay in pockets at the right side of the trout. I think "oh that's is it, the enemy here" I make right away an appointment with the doctor, I think "that was causing my bothersome feeling.
Now I shine with a desk light in my trout, (it stands on his own, so I can do other things with my hands.
I hold a mirror, pick up a long thing which has a point.
It takes me a while to become familiar with my operation.
It is two pockets one above the other, from the above, I take out the white yellowish enemy. It was a size. And from beneath it takes me longer, but eventually I had succeeded to take out both.
Now I’m hoping it is the end of the war here.
I still need to pray, and ask to go-d to save me until a deep age.  
The best way to remove these particles is with either compressed air, or a jet of water.  Water is not comfortable.

I used a can of dust remover.... No, I did not inhale it.  But I needed a quick blast of air.  It will get them all out.  The red tube is perfect for directing towards the particles.  Even IF it left a bad taste, it was WELL worth a rinse.  A lot of those particles were built up, and one blast got them all out.  

The blast of air just plain works.  

They will come right out with no pressure, scraping, wounding, or bleeding.

I've experienced the same thing since I was little.  I would put my tongue back there and press.  Eventually it will come out.  And boy did it smell.  If you take it and rub it together with two fingers, OMG the odor is so bad.  I think this is why I always have bad breath.  I'm now 48.  Ugh!
I am 13 years old and my throat has been hurting for about 3days now. I was looking in the mirror and while looking down my throat I noticed a white thing in the back of my throat but its not like a ball or anything. I'm very nervous as to what it could be. Please helpp mee
I just realised that this is an easy thing to get rid of. Toothbrush, paste and hot water get rid of them quickly... yes you gag but it's better than the awful taste in the mouth ! :-)  Scrap the tonsil a bit then gargle & rinse with hot water. Afterwards, brush teeh & toung and get rid of the yellow paste on the toung. Guess it helps much to get rid of the awful bacteria.

Good luck & hygene to all.
there tonsil stones . they normally wont bother you but the bigger they get the more bothersome they are . you can go to the doctors and they will use like a water pik and clean them out or they will come out on there own or you can get a q tip and press them out if they are bothering you so much . but it is nothing to be alarmed about I used to have them but they have since gone away . i gargle with mouthwash a few times a day and salt water to clean it out so i no longer have this problem but they were very annoying to have but don't worry about it more people have this problem than you know
I also get this. It has been more prevelant the past few months and I am now 55 yrs old. I thought is might be from nasal drip down the back of my throat but whatever causes it it is good to know that its a common thing and most people get it. Yes it smells horrible and I keep it cleaned out at the first sign that there is something there by simply using my finger to dig around and get it out. Thanks everyone for your honesty and your postings.
Hi, everyone, the thing that we are talking about is called tonsil stone, you can watch from YouTube, I think doctor would recommend you guys to talk it out by yourself. I have this thing as well and take it out easily after all if you practice to the mirror.
Oh, use keyword tonsil stone in YouTube and you guys will get it.
Good luck
I was in the mirror brushing my teeth & opened up really wide & noticed in the back of my mouth on the ride side alongside my tonsil a white little ball pasted against the back of my mouth. I tried to put my finger back there to see if i could remove it, but no luck. I noticed for the past couple of months a very bad taste in my mouth, but not coughing up little white smelly balls. I know about those thingys....lol My family experience those every now & then...strep throat, but never these stones people have been talking about. This one I noticed last night is actually pasted in a pocket in the back of my mouth & I can't get it out because I begin to gag if I keep trying.The back of my tongue stays sore all the time especially when I get up in the morning. I dont know if this is TOnsilitis or what. I just got off the phone & made an appt with my Primary Doctor for this Friday. This is so frustrating because it's a very bad taste in my mouth & Im always hoarse like I've been screaming all day. If this is your story....please respond & help. Thank you kindly. Need Answers!!!
I posted a comment or should I say I asked a question!! Since then I went on youtube & looked up tonsil stones, and that's not what I'm seeing in the back of my throat. This white stone looking thing is implanted in the back of my throat on the right side in a little pocket, & can't be removed by anything that I do. I've tried Brushing back that far, picking in that pocket with a Q-tip, using a sterile rounded tweezer, gargling, but it is deep in the pocket. I'm scared, and the back of my tongue has a slight white/yellowish coating on it. I am a smoker which is not helping. The taste in my mouth is horrible, but especially when I suck up from the back of my throat (sorry to sound so gross), & clear my throat. I am very concerned, and I stated before I scheduled an appt with my Primary for this Friday; so hopefully I can get an answer to this, and let everyone know the real reason for this.
Thank god for this forum... I had this sensation of something at the back of the left side of my throat. Went to the GP today and he said he saw something white there. He referred me to an ENT specialist the folloing day (tomorrow). After reading what all you helpful people have written, i went to the mirror armed with a torch light and there the white ball was! It was peeking out from the left side of the fold in my throat! Using my finger i dug it out. If you are going to do the same, make sure u be gentle and beware of gag reflex! Thanks guys!

Seann
I used to have the white chunks in my tonsils too. I had them for a few years and was told it was allergies and I was given a nasal spray. Do they sometimes fly out of your mouth when you cough or laugh?  Do you have more than one?  I had a few in each tonsil and I went to my ENT, he took one look and say "oh yeah, you have tonsillitis, those has to come out". So I had my tonsils removed at 26 and it sucked but I had never had that problem again and have felt great ever since. Hardly ever get a sore throat and no more bad breath. So go see ENT and get them out!!
haha I have noticed this also, and sometimes they break free when I sneeze! I got annoyed (this will probably be really gross sounding) recently and tried to swab it out, that didn't work because it was in the tonsil socket thingy, so i tried to tweezer it out, and after I poked it a bunch more came out and I was able to squeeze the tonsil to completely clear it out. thank god, that damn thing was annoying me for a couple days!
I was starting to feel like I had strep throat untill I looked  in my throat and seen that the little balls were moving around. Someone had told me to  use a toothpick to get them out so I tried it ut still a little sore. Just wondering if stress is really a factor?
There are many reasons why you can end up with that white thing on the back of your throat.

1.That just clearly means your toothbrush is fill with bacteria.(CHANGE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH)
2.The back of your tongue has bacteria on it.(SCRUB THE BACK OF YOUR TONGUE)
3.Your have to use Listerine or peroxide to wash your mouth out.(THREE TIMES A DAY)

THIS IS BIG SIGN OF AN INFECTION SUCH AS STRAP THROAT OR SORE THROAT.
Wow, these all do sound the same. My cousin just came to me with the same problem really scared she might have something or have to go through surgery. She thought it was a piece of food so she tried digging it out with her toothbrush. She started bleeding though and whenever she swallows it bothers her, but it doesn't exactly hurt ? I'm happy i just found this site because at least now she'll be better knowing she's not alone. If anybody ACTUALLY knows the answer and not just suggestions please let me, or everyone for that matter, know. Thanks and Good Luck to everyone with the symptoms.
I suffer from the same thing as you blondie72, I wasn't sure what in the world it was but yeah I would dig it out and it would smell and it goes away sometimes today I just had to do the same thing again...it's annoying.
i have them sometimes mine r seemingly from getting small bits of food in the little wholes in the throat and the mucus kinda creates a pearl around it overtime its gross but not unhealthy luckly... i got one out just now not hard to do i use my nail to scoop it out after cleaning alot lol
I have the same problem for years, my white-yellow piece is built up within 2 weeks which becomes biggest like a condensed small parmesan cheese shaped into a ball that stuck in the back of my throat on the right side.
When it still a small piece, I feel choked or gagged everytime when I swallow.  And then when it becomes biggest I feel like my throat was thrusted and hurt everytime when I swallow.  At this point I know that It becomes big enough for me to spit it out.  I then go to the bathroom and try to cough very loud and strong in order to get enough force under my throat to spit it out.  I cought at least 5 or 7 times, the very fisrt cough I would get a biggest piece sized equal to 3X of the Q-tip end flying out and dropping down to the sink, I keep coughing until the last small piece get out of my throat.  I use my index finger to crush on this ball to flatten it.  It looks like ground parmesan cheese.  It smell so bad.  
     After I spit it out, I can feel the difference, my breath clear and clean.  The mucus flows into my throat more that makes me try to clear my throat like every 10 seconds. The problem comes back within two weeks for me to clear it out again.

Bottom line is you can cough or hawk very strong to spit it out when it becomes big that make it will loose or break up easily.  Good luck!
maybe its ***
maybe its ***
Omg this has happened to me plenty of times smh I get it out w. My finger sometimes yu have to somehow make yur throat push upward use Ur throat muscles nd push the side of the hole w yur nail and it'll pop riqht out sometimes its more than one thing in there nd its nasty and annoying , iHate it when it first happened I was sooo worried until I jus put my finger in thee nd got it out or sometimes I will jus b sitting hr and it'll jus fall on my tongue nd it stinks Lmao best advice I can give yall lol I just wanted to kno what of really was and sounds to me like nature ???
Hey Christina!  JUST WANTED TO SAY, thanks for the Q-tip trick.  I've suffered from those smelly white little balls in the back of the throat for such a long time but other then spraying them down with a syringe, I knew no other way.  You've saved me with the Q-tip trick.  THANKS!
I had that smelly small ball stuck in the back of my throat for 4 days now.  They are bits of tiny food particles and mucus.  I just read Christina's post above about using a wet Q-tip and it works because it sticks to the back of your throat and you can forcefully push it out.  Also, once it's out, make sure to spray the hole out because their might be some remainders.  I use a syringe similar to the kind you get when you have your wisdom teeth but It's not too hard to find one, just make sure there is sufficient pressure
Look up Tonsil Stones
I have the same stuff forming on the back of my throat. I'm not a doctor, but I do notice that I get them when I drink a lot of energy drinks. I get them off with either a toothpick, or Q-tip and lay off the energy drinks a while. I notice then, I don't have the problem. I start back drinking the energy drinks, they come back again. So I have determined to lay off the energy drinks (which I'm learning is addictive). I will check into the ingredients in the energy drinks to see what may be causing the (what I think is) bacteria buildup and get back with you all. Again, this is only MY opinion
I have two white patches on the inside of my mouth on both sides just past the end of my teet. Took nystatin but didn't clear it up. Does anyone know what this is? No help from my doctor. He says it doesn't look suspicious. Should i see an ENT?
I took a little pill a few hours ago, and it got stuck (feels like) at back of mouth, near tongue but maybe in a "tuck" of the throat fatty tissue. I just don't want it to stay and grow into something. ;) I've had it before and soon I cough it out and swallow it. I know as we age our throats can get sloppy esp. if we carry an extra few pounds. I almost got this out with a clean finger, but it's there. It's up against (or near) where tonsil used to be when I was a kid. I have no cold, flu, or anything. I need something just a bit longer to open the fold (it's the best word I can think of) and let the rascal out. I think it's my little gut relaxer as for a bit it tasted like it. Yuck! I don't have long Q-tips (now I'll get some!). Maybe I can get a long pencil or whatever (after sterilizing it!) and move it out enough so it goes down where it belongs. ;)

This is nuts. but I get a kick out of this place. What a wonderful idea to have a doctor and group of people fishing for what to do if whatever happens. I'm bookmarking this one!

So any ideas as to how to just move that little thing (should have dissolved but no acid there is my guess) out. I hope it's not just a memory of earlier and a bit bothered by poking it!

As for those with yellowish stuff at back of throat please get a swab and dx as strep throat is still out there. I know. As a kid I had it. Got scarlet fever (kid I visited was not quarantined in the 1940s) and when it was over I then came down with Rheumatic Fever. You do NOT want that. My mom was a nurse for everything much like a doctor actually. So she moist hot packed me all over, the doctor (came to home) put me on sulfa (all there was). Mom pushed those hydrotherapy sessions daily if not more, and she ground up sulfa pills every four hours 24/7. I almost kicked the bucket and had petechiae (end stage stuff) and I bled from every orifice mom said. I was literally dying one night, was not expected to live. I turned a big corner I guess as about midnight I started to come out of it and quite quickly. I found out that some church people went to church to pray for me! Awww! Doctor, mom and dad prayed too. It actually was a miracle.

I feel our fields of influence in this world CAN and DO make miracles. I was a fundamentalist into my 30s. Now I believe spiritualism (think Dahli Lama, Wayne Dyer, many others...it's not evil as some believe; this stuff is around us always or we'd be dead, it's something we cannot see but we feel (I have an amazing "gut" and can usually tell who's down/up or whatever. I believe this all goes along with what happened to me that long night. Wayne Dyer addresses these "fields" and how far each one reaches. We can keep our world safe if we think we can. Literally! It's amazing. Thanks for letting me write this as it goes along with all illnesses I'm positive. I'm 76 now, and I remember the night I was an inch from dying (6 years old). There is a power out there always ready for us to ask whatever we need and believe it will come. I've done that many times for others from a distance. Just think/pray specifically for someone ill or in accident and be amazed at the results.

So now how to nudge the pill out. Please and thanks!!!

Tessie
Have you had it cultured at lab? Might be strep. Get doctor's help!!
Omg I get that to omg they stink so bad it's like lil puss balls I didn't know they were food particles they make my breath stink I brush my teeth like 3 times a day just be cause of that
Tagged ‘smelly white balls in throat’

Tonsilloliths Bad Breath Balls
Tonsilitis?   Some do not have tonsils. So that DX will not work for them.
Ever since yesterday I think one is stuck on my left side of the throat and I can't seem to swallow it down, my throat is getting sore from it I think.. /: