Sore, swollen lump on inner thigh by bikini line

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Viewing 601 comments:
There is a way to get treat these that is unbelievably easy and cheap.  It may not work for every case; however, I do know that for some types at least it does work.  They may reoccur later this is just a way to treat it and make it go away and relatively quickly.  You'll see noticable results within a day and should be almost gone within 2-4 days.

Take a slice of lemon and put it on the cyst for as long as you can deal with it.  The longer you can do it the better.  Do not pop it or play with it.  Just put the lemon on the affected area each day.  

Lemons work for most types of acne as well as a natural substance in the lemon kills pore clogging bacteria.  Washing your face with lemon will nip acne in the bud as well.  And cucumbers will rid you of black heads quickly with simply taking a slice or two and rubbing it into your skin.

Placing the lemon on one of these some how shrinks it.  I assume by killing the bacteria off it somehow disposes of the pus and infection as well. Lemons and cucumber may also help in lightening the scars of old ones as well.

Basically sweat glands are becoming inflammed and can not get toxins out of your body.  So these form.  If your liver is functioning poorly it can not rid your body of toxins very well and this may contribute. Eating a liver friendly diet rich in vegtables may help.  Drinking lemon water regularly will help as well as it nourishes skin and helps keep it clear and healthy.

Get rid of soda it kills your liver and can lead to diabetes 2 and other problems.  Avoid HFCS like the plauge fructose is metabolized as fat and helps cause liver disfunction.  It can actually even lead to cirrhosis of the liver.  Lemon water gives as much energy as a soda; however, it is healthy for you and helps return your body to a balanced PH level which supports good health and builds immune system.

A friend had this issue you all describe.  I knew about lemons and their treatment of acne and suggested they give it a try.  Cheap and easy...worth a try.  Worked for my friend ;o)
Corn starch is not the greatest home remedy to try as there are many people who are allergic to corn without knowing it.  There is a type of acne similar to this that can be excerbated by corn starch and eating too many corn products and HFCS.  This remedy may work; however, for many it may make matters worse.
Oh god I'm so happy I'm not the only one! I've been getting them repeatedly! They are always coming back and threatening the way I walk, because they hurt so much when I walk since it rubs up against my other thigh! I have like small dark colored scars from previous ones! And I agree^ I feel like this can have an affect on my sex life after all symptoms from HIV and other STDS show up in that general area! I've been checked and I'm clean, I'm just glad I got around too googling this as its been a problem of mine for awhile!
so im currently in a predicament where i dont have insurance and wont be able to get it anytime soon. i was sitting barely bumped my inner thigh and it hurt really bad it was like the size of a pea the next day the size of a quarter. Large lump under the skin totally agonizing making my body ache day 3 it turned really dark purple almost black. yesterday it never popped but had a huge knarly scar and today i looked its still painful and swollen th same bbut there is a huge! gaping hole in it with what looks like white tissue with an even deeper hole. looks kinda black still..... i have no idea what to do please help!!!
Jess
hey, sorry to bother you but i really hope you see this as i'm 14 now and have the exact same thing :s >< what happened in the end to yours? (i'm praying its nothing like cancer for the benefit of both of us ;)) again, sorry to bother you i'm jsut really scared :s
I am only 13, and I shave my bikini line because I am a gymnast. I get the sore lumps frequently and I would really like to know how to get rid of them and keep them gone? Please help! Thanks :)
I have had these on and off for years! The last one was a few months ago. It became red, swollen and throbbing very quickly. I find a hot bath and then hot compresses help to draw the infection to the surface quicker. I never squeeze it as this can rupture the inner sack and cause further infection as it gets into your blood stream. When I notice the center has become spongy I will sit in a hot bath and rub it gently. I find this helps it rupture quicker. Once it has opened I always see the dr who takes swabs (which have always been clear) and prescribes an oral antibiotic. I continue with the hot baths a few times a day (if possible) for a week to keep it clean.
Thanks to all for posting! This has truly helped me. I am 35 yrs old and have been suffering with this issue for 16 yrs. When I was 19 yrs old I discovered a cyst by my bikini area and it has come and gone without being diagnosed. Whenever I had a flareup and would seak relief I had always been given an oral antibiotic by dermatologists and gynecologists and it never seemed to clear up from that. A few years ago my gynecologist removed it and was concerned because of the tunnels she saw under my skin ( when I was in my mid twenties I popped it, but no longer do) . She sent it to the lab and nothing concerning came back. It didn't show itself for a few yrs and after becoming pregnant it came back, which was so disconcerting because I didn't want to develop an infection. I was told to use a warm compress 2xs a day and Neosporin. I wasn't crazy about treating this cysts with this particular method, but I did what my doctor told me to prevent an infection since I was pregnant. Now I'm a new mom, my son is 7 weeks old and healthy :) and I discovered 2 of these cycsts around my bikini area. I have been wearing stretch pants before I can fit into my prepregancy pants a lot and have been a little stressed taking care of my son. From what I have read about HP is sometimes it's aggravated by hormones, stress and tight clothing. I am currently researching dermatologists in NYC where I live and am looking for a valid diagnosis, but reading this post gives me hope and also make me sad because I do not have much time to tend to this issue. And yrs of having it come, sometimes with vengeance and go have left me feeling as though it may sadly be chronic.  I am surprised to see that there are really no support groups for this condition and it is something that can be debilitating and extremely painful. I wish you all the best of luck in this and am sending love to all of you because this is not an easy issue to deal with. If I find out anything that may be helpful, I will pass it along.
I'm sixteen years old and I think I have the same problem. I get this hard lump on my bikini line. Right where my knickers rub against. I normally leave it but it comes back again after about six months. This time it has been worse than ever. It's got to about the size of a two pence coin, but in a more oval-like shape. I can still walk and everything but it was so sore to move my leg and when I put a tight pair of knickers on it was excruciating. I took a really hot bath and held a very hot (as hot as I could stand) washcloth against it last night, and this morning it has burst on its own. Blood has been coming out but no pus. It is now a weird purple colour. Should I tell my mum or go to the doctor? What exactly is this thing called? I don't think it's serious because it always goes on its own, it's just super frustrating how it always comes back!
Hiya I would still mention it to your mum and have a dr check it out just in case it becomes infected. I can't help with what its called all my dr said was that either sweat glands or hair follicles get inflamed/infected causing the lumps/boils to appear. You did the right thing having a hot bath and holding a hot compress on it.
Did this ever go away? I have one just like this but the "chunks of meat" came out only half way and I'm very freaked out about it
hi :(
so now im 16 and i have been getting this weird bumps since i was 15. usually i'd get purple ish / black ish bumps /sores on my inner thigh but i figured it was just a ingrown hair so i was cleanse it and it would eventually go away. but now i have another one on my opposite thigh. its very red and when rub on by clothing it hurts so bad ! it's like a ball and when you touch it , it feels like nothing is under it like loose skin or something but something keeps coming out like extra skin because believe me ive tried popping it but nothing comes out except excess blood or watery substance . i'm sure these come and go but it would be awesome if i knew exactly what the cause is from because its embarrassing and painful !! last thing i want is to do is see a doctor or get surgery when just underwear touching it  makes it hurt so much ! some help pls ?
hi :(
Skulleton
I have had these for the last 2 years. I have had to have emergency surgery 4 times. It ended up positive for MRSA and I have since had to have about 15 lanced. I have tried so many things. My 1 year old daughter has aslo had them and has had to have surgery twice in the last 4 months. I can toll you it is not from not being clean as we bath daily and we do bleach baths twice a week to try to stop getting anymore breakouts. I get them in my private areas, under my arms and on my bottom. I have also had one on the calf of my leg. I am still looking for ways to get it under control when we have an outbreak. I have found that when the bumps, boils,abcesses or cysts ( how ever you want to describe it)  start out that if you put MUPIROCIN on them they seem to go away. I was prescribed this in January and I havent had any thing lanced. My daughter just had one a few days ag on her private area and it was completly gone yesterday. Ask a doctor for this stuff. Make sure it put it in your nose and under your finger nails too. I hope this helps someone and just know your not alone. This is a very frustrationg thing to go through there is no cure but hopefully we can slow down the outbreaks and stop the doctors from cutting us up!! I pray that God helps anyone with this and know you are not alone.
Not sure what is correct email address...

Error
The email address "dr.***@****" is not recognized. Please fix it and try again
I use to get those little bumps that looked like that. I found out that my were boils, but they r very easy to get rid of. This might sound weird but you take a slice of bread and soke it in warm milk and apply it to the area and it will go away. Then you dont have to worry about poking it
omg I had this exact thing happen to me it was the most disgusting thing I ever saw when I popped that and i was around 12 then and now 34 and left hard scar tissue in the area and now have some of the pus and bleeding again and i never knew what the heck it was until now i just found all these comments with the same thing! wow the the heck is it
Hey, im 13 and yesterday i just got a pimple looking thing on my leg. when i woke up it got red and big and it really hurts when i touch it.When i squeeze it there is puss and blood coming out. I tried to put tooth paste and perfume on it but none of it helped. Its under my knee and i dont know what to do. How do i get rid of it?? Help!
Sounds like you have Recurring yeast infections, you need to boil your underwear to kill the yeast spores.  There are studies showing that women with recurring yeast infections, it was being reintroduced because the washing machine and soap wasn't killing the yeast.  Must be boiled for a little while.  

Get the oral pill diflucan or use monistat to cure your yeast infection. Avoid sugar, breads, vinegars.  Eat more vegetables, sugar free yogurt (good bacteria), and meats.  Don't eat so much sweets and breads, processed foods.  Don't stay in wet underwear, wipe down after the gym and stuff.

You can also take a pill daily to prevent yeast infections (lactobacillus acidophilus).  This is kept in the fridge, it's the good healthy bacteria that will keep bad bacteria in check.  Candida is yeast and present in the body, but will not take over if you have good bacteria present.  I was getting them often when I was on the birth control pills ortho tricyclin.
I don't know if any of you will see this since so much time has passed but just in case here goes...
In my pursute to find releif for HS I located a dermatologist in Charlotte North Carolina that has specialized in this condition. Her name is dr Libby Edwards. she has done extensive reserch on this condition and has mentored many other doctors in the treatment. Google her office and either get to her or have her recommend someone in your area that can work with you because there IS help!
After dealing with this for many years, it was completely healed in less than 24 hours of the first treatment. Now I will say it returned but after a few (less than 3) treatments they have not returned for nearly a year. So it may take a few to be rid of them completely. The treatment consist of injections directly into the nodules and I won't lie, they are painful but only for a few minutes compared to years of constant pain, not a big deal.
I also want you all to know that this condition has NOTHING to do with being clean. you can't scrub it away with soap. It is genetics. And I am curious if any of you also share a condition called hyperhydrosis? It is over active sweat glands. Sweaty hands and feet.
Hope this helps. It breaks my heart to hear of so many suffering.
Hi Ashley, I just found this online when I googled lumps in groin area. What ever happened? Did you finally get some help and releif? This is just starting full blown for me and I dont know what im going to do. Im wearing a baidaid now because it popped and bled. Do I go the family doctor or gyne?
Lisa
I'm really concerned I've had this long skinny knot on my inner leg near my vagina for several yrs. It hurts sometimes. When I wear pants it really hurts . nothing comes out and doesn't look like an ingrown hair help should I see a Dr?
I was reading all of these posts as I was in the waiting room at the doctors. I noticed this hard lump near the opening on my vagina, it felt like a marble under my skin. The first day it was irritating at all. I pushed on it a bit to see if it was a zit. Nothing. Well yesterday it was so annoying! It felt a bit hot, it hurt to sit or stand. And when I went to sleep, it just kept me from sleeping. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep while my legs were wide open like a butterfly. This morning I had to call out of work, called the doctor this morning. I just got home from the appointment.

I highly recommend seeing a doctor if your symptoms are close to what I had. She gave me a small dose of a shot that numbed me. Then 15 minutes later I went back in and she made a couple slits with a blade, did a bit if squeezing and whipping and told me to go home and rest, use some antibiotic cream and tonight to check it and if I'm feeling a bit adventurous to give it a squeeze.

When I got home I cried out my nerves. It hurt pretty bad, even worse than before it got popped. But since then, I've taken 1300 mg of ibuprofen and 1 Dolol which should keep the edge off. Hope this does not happen again!
The one that I have is recurring but it only refills with fluid right around the time when my period is about to come. Some months it wont be an issue at all but then some months it swells right back up. Mine has never gotten bigger than a quarter but now there is a permanent little knot down there on the inside of my leg about the size of a pea. I am assuming it is probably the core of the damaged tissue and I am going to have it cut out and packed so that it can heal from the inside out and not leave the empty pocket to refill. I think that I might have an ingrown hair curled up inside of there from shaving. I am 31 and this just started happening last year.

Triggers:
when I am about to start my period
if I am under a lot of stress
if I am drinking too much
taking probiotics or certain types of vitamins

Depending on what it is from (If it is a wart or looks like an STD it could spread so if it looks like something like that don't do what I am about to tell you!) if you need immediate relief go to Walgreens and get a lancet kit that they use to check blood sugar so that you can poke a drain hole quickly and painlessly to relieve the pressure. MAKE SURE THAT YOU CLEAN THE AREA WITH ALCOHOL FIRST AND AFTERWARDS CLEAN THE AREA WITH ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP SO IT WONT SPREAD THE BACTERIA. I put a gauze over it and continuously cleaned it until it dried all the way up and stopped draining. I also use Teatrea oil and antibiotic ointment to seal it. I read that someone soaked cottonballs in witch hazel which also sounds like a good idea. Mine has never burst open though so I am not really sure what that is like.(thank God) I am writing this because I know how scary it can be especially as a teen. THIS IS NO WAY MEDICAL ADVICE THIS IS JUST WHAT I HAVE FOUND WORKED AS TEMPORARY RELIEF. I have an appointment tomorrow at 2pm to get it taken care of, but I know that the pain can be horrible! Drain the fluid to relieve the pressure.
I have the same issue and it has been happening to me for about 5 years too. I have been putting Hydro-cortizone on my bump as soon as I feel it and sometimes it doesn't even appear. The surrounding area that usually feels like my veins are exploding seem to settle and not flare up at all.
Thank you for the advice Den3269.

After I read quite a bit of posts. I see that I wasn't alone in this painful struggle. I have been struggling with this nickel sized area of bumps gathered together like a pack of pimples for over 5 years. It usually happens right before my menstrual cycle. First, I feel this sharp pain in my right inner thigh two inches below my bikini line. A couple of days later, I feel the pain spreading around the top of my thigh circling around to my right hip. Sometimes I can see the redness of my vein traveling from the painful area all the way around to my hip. My vein turns beet red as it bulges to the surface of my skin. The length of the vein is anywhere from five inches to about 10 inches long. When I touch it it is normally hot or a big difference in temperature compared to the rest of my leg. Finally, after all the signs and warnings the bumps appear. Sometimes the bumps appear in one area every month. Sometimes it will appear in two areas right next two each other like a nickel and a dime with small tiny hard bumps in the circumference of the circle. I never tried to pop them because they hurt to the touch and they don't look like puss bumps they look like skin bumps. When I touch them they feel cystic. They feel like little tiny pebbles underneath my skin. I tried everything I could think of to rid myself of these painful bumps to avoid going to the military doctor.

It wasn't before long after I kept trying different remedies to cure myself that I ACTUALLY FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKED for me. This is not a permanent solution. For me it is the best solution until I find me a physician that can refer me to a dermatologist to get the shot that Den3269 was speaking about in her comments.

As soon as I feel the pain I rub it with rubbing alcohol. I wait for the alcohol to dry then I rub a nice amount of Cortizon.10 on the entire area and everywhere I would normally feel the pain as it travels. After the first application, sometimes I don't even see the bumps appear. Most of the time the pain only last for a day or two. I put Cortizone.10 on the area at night before I go to bed and in the morning before I leave out the house. This has been my temporary cure until I seek medical attention. Once I rubbed Cortizone on the area for an entire month and I did not see it appear for two months. I really hope this helps someone because this is tragic to live with. I will give you all the update when I finally make it to the dermatologist.
FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR A POSSIBLE ANSWER:

I was just on this page the other week when I had discovered a red, firm, extremely painful lump on the outside of my labia (or groin). Within a day or two, it had developed a whitehead so I popped it and it drained pus. Thinking it had gone away, within another day, another one popped up but further down and even worse. It was growing in size from a marble to about the size of a walnut. I could not walk, or sit without being in extreme discomfort and pain. It had not shown a whitehead, so I had made an appointment with my gynecologist. She took a culture once she drained out all of the liquid from the lump and I have gotten a call a few days later telling me that I tested positive for MRSA, which is a nasty infection. It is spread pretty easily, especially through places like in a health care setting or daycare. It can cause these red boil or pimple type lumps, and MRSA can turn into a dangerous infection if left active for a long period of time!
So, I read several of the beginning posts.

I'm still not sure if what I have is the same.

It all seems a bit of a mystery, and these sound incurable.

I googled images of Hidradenitis Suppurativa, and that isn't what mine looks like....
I'm 19 by the way. I got it a couple days ago on Friday. I didn't even realize it was there at first until I was drying off from the shower, then I noticed this lump about dime sized and raised inside my thigh where the skin rubs together. At first I assumed it was a pimple, but then I touched it and felt it was hard and different, but I didn't worry about it because it didn't hurt at all, and I figured it was no big deal.

The next day, I remembered it, and looked at it, and it was bigger and redder and a little tender. I looked up this site and saw hot compresses everywhere so when I could I put a wash cloth under the hottest water, squeezed it out, then put it on the lump until the wash cloth had cooled down. I've done that three times now, and I'm not sure it has helped. The lump might be slightly smaller, but it's spread out into a wide flat-ish circle with the same head in the middle. It's about the same level of tender, maybe a little more so. It's really frustrating me, and I don't want to walk anymore because my legs will rub it more and, I'm afraid, irritate it more.

What is it? Is it the same as what y'all have? What should I do about it? I've seen neosporin posts. should I put that on it? Should I keep doing the hot washcloth? I realize I haven't had it for long, but I just really don't want it to get worse. Please help. I put some baby powder on it this morning because I hoped that would help keep it from getting more irritated when my thighs rub together. Was that a mistake? I always wear skirts, by the way. Does that make it worse?
Yes I have this too and its not just one time I&#x27;ve had it I get them alot and it&#x27;s really sore.  It is a red color and is hard inside. Like I can pinch it and feel a hard like ball. They don&#x27;t cause any medical problems, just irritation. If anyone has a similar experience or idea please comment.
Yeah have exactly the same so painful hurts to walk hoping nothing serious x
Ladies you have to make sure your panties are not tight. My daughter had the same thing and we realized it was the panties which was the problem. If a panty is too tight it will pull and bruise the skin, causing friction and over time these lumps will appear on the bikini line. The lump will ripen on its own, when it does, squeeze out all the pus and clean with warm water. Apply either an anti-viral or anti-biotic cream to the area and make sure you wear comfortable panties which are not pressing on your skin. For a more natural application, take a bit of Manuka Honey and apply to the affected area twice daily. Once you apply the Manuka honey put on a sealed band aid over the area. Remember to use vagina wash like vagisil and keep the area clean. Swelling will go down in a couple of days and skin will be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks.
I had a swollen lump on my bikini line when I went to bed and when I woke up it had started to leak out this brown and yellow pus like substance. It's been about 2 days since this and the area has scared over but is extremely sensitive. Can anyone help me on what I should do about this?
I have a similar issue. I have a bump close to my inner thigh.
Here's a few things about it:
-it was small and painful a few days ago
-today it is swollen like and still painful
-it has little red bumps inside it (I can clearly see separated red bumps on top or inside of this one big bump)
-it hurts when I move
-I get bumps on my vagina inner thigh every now and then
-they usually go away after a few days
-this time I'm on my period which is making this twice as painful
-oh and I'm 19 and I've only given oral sex
I get like a lump and it is usually one on my inner thigh and one by where my pubes are. It gets bigger then smaller then bigger again and eventually it turns into a bruise. Its odd. I do'n't know whats happening
Thank you so much! This helped a lot Ive been researching to figure out what it was and I found this and I tend to wear really tight panties. Im glad I found this I was worried it was serious
Hello...I just found once if these bumps and I'm kinda freaked out about it. Idk how to tell my mom...and I don't want to if I can prevent it with a warm wash rag. If it gets serious I will have to say something so we can schedule an appointment.
The surgery is just a lancing of the boil. They will inject lidocaine to numb the area, open it, drain it, possibly suture depending on the size of the boil, and bandage the area. It will continue to drain a bit for a few days and they will probably tell you to put some type of ointment on it such as neosporin. It is a VERY minor procedure.
What did you find out, if anything?
What did you find out, if anything?
Avatar n tn
sounds like hidradenitis suppurativa
Avatar n tn
sounds like hidradenitis suppurativa
I get these as well and if they get too render you need to see a doctor and get on some antibiotics I&#39;ve had to have some of mine lanced and drained because they did not do so on their own. Hot compresses will help alot. But remember it is an infection and can become serious. Also if you get them alot it could be caused by genetics. And these little devils build colonies in your body and just kinda pop up when they feel like it if you get more than one you may want to get a special body scrub from your doctor and report or document when you get them how large aND tender they are and how long they last just in case you need to seek a medical professional.
My dr tried to numb mine but it wouldn't.  He said that was because the infection couldn't be numbed!  Wth? Why did he even suggest it then.  But he must be wrong if Yours did.  How did your dr do it?  I have more knots and I want them removed and I really want to be numbed this time.
What ended up happening? Did it heal on its own or did you need to visit the doctor?
I have this problem also. Most of the time they seem to be your regular boils that are eased with a hot bath. This time its something different. Lets see if I can describe this accurately. I have a lump on my inner right thigh, very close to my bikini line. Most of the time it doesn't seem to be filled with anything...it will feel like just an empty little sac of skin. When I first noticed it it was full of something (grossness is what I like to call it). Now its like it drained, but isn't going away. It gets really sore after some friction from walking. I sweat like crazy so I thought that was a contributing factor. I've had this one lump for a couple of months now and can't get rid of it. I clean it as often as possible and have been applying tea tree oil. It seems to get better, or less agitated, for a little while then it gets sore again. I'm not sure if it was a boil, ingrown hair, or what but I'd love for it to go away completely. Thanks to all of you lovely ladies for your tips and suggestions. My course of action will be to try this Tend Skin (I think thats what its called) and make a Dr. Appt with my GYN.
I have the same thing and i need to know what it is
Viewing 601 comments:
gymdandee commented on  Herbs and Spices Low...
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Herbs and Spices Lower Triglycerid...
21 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals