Sore, swollen lump on inner thigh by bikini line
A few days ago I noticed a sore, reddish swollen lump on my left inner thigh, right along my bikini line. It has since gotten larger (about the size of a nickel, and more elongated now).

It only feels sore if I press on it or rub against it. It seems like a soft lump that moves around with the skin. Last night I applied a warm washcloth to it for about 30 minutes, which made it feel better.

Could this be a swollen lymph node, or maybe an ingrown hair? It is located in the area where I shave daily.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
I have the exact same thing, a cyst apparently. I've had it, get this, a little over a year. The first few months it was flesh colored, fluctuating in size constantly.  Later it pretty much stayed a lump but still fluctuated, also gaining some color. Recently I began putting vitamin e skin cream on it, knowing vitamin e is great for skin..  Within a few days (coincidental?) it began developing a white area, today it opened up and secreted puss and then blood. I wasn't sure it'd stop bleeding, unsure of what it was (no insurance, sure you all understand that) so I showered and bandaged it.  It has stopped bleeding :D but it's still a lump so I'm sure this will be one of those "gotta remove it surgically" kinda things.. I hope not but having it this long and airing it often hasn't seemed to get rid of it. Least it finally did something but it's still purple. Course it happened today so I'll give it a few days and watch it closely. Cancer runs in my family so I was scared crapless at first, of course.  I'm thinking somehow that vitamin e really did something, but what? Anyone ever heard of using vitamin e on a cyst? Course I thought it could've been an abcess if it weren't a cyst.  Same location as others mentioned here, kini line. How uncomfortable! I recommend giong to Target or Walmart and getting some of those clothe shorts. Not undies but shorts. So much more comfy! Take my word for it. 15 months of needing them.
Thanks for posting of your own experiences. It gave me some peace of mind! :)
Thanks also for understanding my alias.
xts
has anyone had one of these in the groin area but not on the bikini line that does not have a head but the reddened area is about the size of your hand, it is swollen, hurts like hell, and is hot -
The heat usually means infection and should be treated by a doctor with antibiotics. Good Luck.
I am so glad to know that I am not alone with this problem.  I have had the same kind of "bump", but mine is under the skin.  I have had this for about 7 years, but never addressed it with the doctor because I was too embarassed.  I noticed it when it was about the size of a lima bean.  Now it is the size of a large marble.  I finally showed it to my family doctor and she sent me to a surgeon.  I went to the surgeon today and basically she said  what everyone is saying here ... an ingrown hair with a clogged subceaous gland.  She said that sometimes there is drainage from a pin-sized hole (I've never had any drainage).  I am having minor surgery to have it removed ... she also said that it is easier to remove when there is fluid in it.  She said that it looks like a large pearl and is filled with puss and blood that have a terrible odor.  She said that by removing it when it has puss in it she can make sure to get the entire sac so that it would not return (that doesn't mean another one won't show up!).  I finally got some of my questions answered and I hope this helps some of my fellow sufferers.
I'm so relieved that I finally found information on this. Before I read this I had no idea what it was. I've had this for a little over a year now on and off, but the one I have now is so much larger than before that I can hardly even walk with out feeling uncomfortable. I've tryed the hot cloth and it helped a little but it's still there and painful, so I was just wondering if anyone new any herbal remedies or something that i can do besides getting the minor sugery. Thank you. :)
I feel for you. I really do. You need to have it drained and I have no idea what it will cost. The only thing I can suggest is go to your local E.R. or one of those Med Centers that cater to weekend minor injuries etc.. that are usually affiliated with the local hospital and have it checked. They will drain it which is what you need. And will run some blood tests to make sure you have no infections in the bloodstream which can happen due to the type of infection it is.. They will charge you, but if you just pay what you can and have them bill the rest, they will have no problems treating you. And then you just pay a little every month.
You will probably get a prescription for antibiotics as well that will run you hopefully less than a hundred depending on what you can take etc.. Maybe even as little as 20 bucks. Sounds like you'd be about willing to give them your right arm to get this dealt with and I can certainly relate.
Hope this helps and let me know if/when you get it taken care of and how it went.
Good Luck!!
--JoAnna
I have a huge cyst on my inner right thigh that is the size of a ping-pong ball. It is a soft lump on top of a hard lump and is soooooo painful that it is hard to walk. Currently, the area is red, with the top part purple. It is enlongated and rubs my other thigh when I walk. So far, I have been soaking in an Espon salt bath and/or holding a hot part water, part epsome salt compress to it. It is very painful. Of course, this is the one time in my life when I am without health insurance and will be for a two more months. Any ideas on home remedies and/or the cost of having this cyst injected with something by a doctor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for your response, JoAnna. I found a derm who is willing to see me tomorrow and bill me over the next few months. I realized that whatever I will have to pay will be worth the relief that I will get. I can't believe how painful this is. It is so tender to the touch that I can't imagine what it will feel like when she drains it or injects it. Is it ususal to have some sort of local before the procedure? Thanks. I am so glad that I found this forum!
If while they are preparing for the procedure, you don't see any sign of them giving you something to ease the discomfort, then simply ask. Tell them that you would like something before they begin. I know I've heard of some, mainly in E.R. situation, where they just drained it with nothing for pain. Glad you found a Specialist. The quality of your care will be much better than the E.R.
Please let me know how it goes, and try not to worry. You are going to feel so much better.
--JoAnna
Just got back from the dr. and I am feeling so much better. The whole procedure was a tad scary, but I survived! She gave me two numbing shots, which she warned me don't always work on cysts of my size. Then she cut into the cyst and let it drain while she and the nurse massaged the area. It was quite painful, but so worth it! After she felt that it had drained properly (about 10 minutes later) she gave me 4 shots of Cortozone (sp?) which also hurt pretty badly. She bandaged the area up and warned me that it might continue to drain. I have a perscription for an antibiotic, which I need to take 3x per day for 14 days, and an ointment to put on the area daily. She suggested that I clean the area twice a day with peroxide, put on the ointment, apply a warm water compress, and then bandage. The procedure and medications totaled about $200, without any insurance. Money that was WELL spent in my mind. Thanks so much for all of your help. I am so happy that this process is almost done with! Take care!
Katie:
Thanks so much for updating. So many don't and I am one of those that worries about how things turned out.
I am so happy that you had such a positive outcome and the things you wrote can be very helpful to others. So many women post about the same condition and are scared to go see a doc, so hopefully your experience will encourage others to get it taken care of.
I'm thrilled that you are doing better.
Take Care--JoAnna
Someone help me!
I have a lump near my genitals, it's about the size of a nickel.  It doesn't hurt excpet when I touch it.  It's quite hard but it can move around.  It started as if it was an ingrown hair, then it got bigger.  It's not a different color as the rest of my skin...i tried putting a hot compress on it for half an hour, nothing came out...i sqweezed it a little...still nothing :(  I does not have a head...I'm wondering how many times i have to put a hot towel on in order to get some results??? Can anyone tell me ?  This is really scary to me :(
I just so happen to work in an E.R. and have seen many different locations for an abscess on the body and i have to say that the groin area is the most painful and most re-occuring location. I have assisted both Dr.s and P.A.s in lancing(making a small cut into the head of the abscess to release the pus) these painful abscesses. Here's the thing....if you've gotten one before----you're more prone to getting them again....secondly---in areas that you shave frequently where skin tends to rub against something you will find that the skin is more sensative and becomes irratated more frequently. ALWAYS use a new razor when shaving....it will be costly but save you from this pain in the long run. Also...when these abscess drain the puss is contageous...so make sure you wash your clothes and that warm compress in hot water to kill any bacteria that may have contaminated the material. Hope all this has helped....
I have the same scenerio going on. I keep getting abscesses in the same spot, the groin area of my bakini line left side. it starts small and flat and eventually fills with puss and blood (maintaining a purplish skin color) until it starts to ooze. I clean it with paroxide, put first aid ointment and bandage it but it comes back sometimes in the same day. I've had this one for about 2 months now. It is painful to the touch and clothes touch =( . I've decided to see a doctor about it as I am starting to have a low grade fever 100.8. I don't know if it's related but it's worth finding out. When it eventually does heal it leaves a purple scar. ::sigh::
hi my lump is a little different - it is under the skin and it moves around when i touch it - it isnt very big probably the size of the tip of your finger.  it doesnt hurt and i really couldnt tell you how i found it but it just buggs me that it is there.  it is on my inner thigh where you have the most fat - right below your genitals.  does anyone know what this could be?
I have been fighting these off and on for about 3 years now. Each time they come back the infection diggs deeper into the tissue of your leg. I found that using a type of drawing sav helps to keep the skin from getting to tight and hurting really bad.

Finally after fighting it for so long my doctor has referred me to a surgeon so that we can have the gland removed in that section of my leg. I was told by one doctor that each time it comes back it will get worse. The last one that I had I could fell the infection half way down my leg. I had shooting pains with it as it is getting closer to the nerves.

I suggest for any of you out there that get these continously and are really severe push your doctor to send you to a surgeon cause they will only continue.
I have had chronic cysts for years. I am fed up with them. Did you have the surgery? How was it? Did it help? Have they recurred? Thanks
Hi, Im only 16 years old and i have swollen bumps on my inner thighs...and at first i didnt know what they were..so i would squeeze them just thinking maybe they were like pimples or something?..and then white pus would come out and then blood..but it would still be big, or sometimes nothing would come out..it would just stick further out in the skin. And right now i have about 5 or 6..not very big..maybe sizes of a pea or something? Ive always wanted to know what they are but I always forget to ask...or i dont think they are that big of a deal. Can someone please help me..i dont know if they are the same things as you guys are talking about..

Thank you!
Thank God for all of these commits as I know my enormous lump on my inner bikini line is not the parasite I thought it could be after returning from India OR some type of cancer that is eating away at precious necessities on my body!  I go to the doctor next week hoping they will just cut it out.
im a 16 year old female and my mother is in her last stage of cancer, cancer has always been in nearly all of my family members for as long as i can remember and last year when i was only 15 years of age i had to have my first mamogram because of such high risks because of family history. Last night i noticed this not about the size of a quarter on my inner thigh on that muscle that stretches when you try to do the splits or something, the only reason i noticed it is because i wiped after i used the restroom and felt it....it does not hurt or anything but the docters have always told my family that if it hurts its a good thing saying as it could be a lyphnode but if it dont its not so good.....any help here please?