Sour Tasting Vaginal Discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Sour Tasting Vaginal Discharge

I noticed that I have sour-tasting vaginal discharge.  I noticed it one day while my boyfriend and I were having sex, I went down on him and I almost gagged because my discharge on him was so sour tasting ... it really took me by surprise.

I never had this problem before, and my discharge never tasted sour before except for these last couple of months.  There is no smell to it at all, the discharge is pearly white, not clumpy, and I have no redness/itching nor any other symptoms ... it's just the taste.  I am not taking any medications or birth control, I have been tested for STD's which all came out negative, PAP smear negative as well.

Does anyone know why this is happening (seriously, this has taken a large toll on my sexual relationship - I don't enjoy it because I am constantly worried about it and I am getting depressed over this).  Does anyone have any remedies to get rid of the taste?  I have done quite a bit of research and I haven't found much help/explanations.  Please help, I am desperate.  Thanks.
Sounds like what happens to me when I get bacterial vaginosis, which is pretty much just an imbalance of bacteria down there. Your doctor can tell you if you have it and give you some medication.
I don't know if its bacterial vaginosis Sarah because it has no odor. Usually bacterial vaginosis has a funky smell. I think your issue might be diet related because I've definately dealt with some funky tasting spunk with men (usually sour or bitter- blech!) and they lived on pizza, beer, fast food, pop-tarts... basically, they ate A LOT of crap. My suggestion is to eat A LOT of fruit, and ditch processed foods- try to eat WHEAT bread not white. Drink cranberry juice (or take cranberry pills), STOP DRINKING SODA! (that includes diet soda). Foods with a lot of potassium in them can mess with your body. My mom was an avid diet coke drinker- she started having some issues, went to the doctor and they told her that her potassium level was sky high. Take a look at what you are eating. Is it healthy? Is it full of preservatives, sodium and/or potassium? Just as Asparagus can affect the way your pee looks and smells, what you eat can affect the taste of your discharge.
HTH a little!
I don't really drink soda...My diet isn't the greatest -- I have begun on improving it, however my diet's been the same for the past year and a half, and this sourness didn't begin until a few months ago (maybe, 2 or 3).  This is what makes me worry, because nothing's really changed as far as myself and this has appeared almost out of the blue.
There were many many times where I had BV and had no odor.
Have you figured out the issue? I am having the exact same problem.  I just went for my pap and they said no bacteria.  I feel helpless because i have gotten no answers.
Sara- everyone is different with body chemistry. I didn't say all women experience BV and have no odor, I just know that its a common symptom. Google it. You'll find its a good way for women to figure out whether or not something is seriously wrong down there.

All others: Do the guys your with notice the taste as "different?" Just curious because our body chemistry changes all the time. So.. not on meds. Do you take herbal supplements/vitamins? Any extra stress in your life? Less sleep? There are a lot of different things that can cause us to taste a little sour. Is your PH level up or a little different? Does your regular deoderant still work as well as before? Are you sweating more? That could be a culprit. Unfortunately, if it IS your body chemistry changing, there isn't much you can do besides using ANTIbacterial soap (I use Dial- the GOLD is the best) and drinking A LOT of pineapple juice. Its supposed to make you taste sweeter. My girlfriends and I are planning on testing that theory with our boys as the guinea pigs. I suggest trying those three things.
I also want to let you know, this could just be a phase your body is going through. I had something similar to this last fall, starting with an unusual amount of discharge- sometimes making me feel like I had peed myself a little.There was especially A LOT after sex. That was weird AND embarassing, though the men were quite happy and fascinated... Doctors said everything was fine. Fast forward about two months and the amount went back to normal, but it left behind a sour aftertaste. Not bad necessarily but definitely different. I have no idea why either of these things occurred but I have been using my dial soap, excercising and eating yogurt, drinking the occassional dole pinapple juice serving. I don't notice a problem anymore. I have also had it suggested to me that you partner can play a role in how you taste too. I find that to be true because I seemed to go back to "normal" when I started sleeping with my ex again... hmm... Not recomended for fixing your problem, but I do believe its food for thought. Anyway... HTH:)
That exact same thing happened to me... It's happened about twice. I didn't have any problem. No infection or symptoms of anything abnormal. Just that my discharge tasted sour on my man. Is your period due? Maybe this isn't the same for you, but I think there may be a connection to the taste and where you are in your cycle.. I know for me, my period was due within the next few days when I noticed that taste.

I just drank A LOT of water and tried not to stress over it. It went away within a week on its own.

Have you been eating garlic? I notice the same problem when I eat garlicky foods.
i'll comment later. got to leave work soon.  BV is common among women having multi-partners?
I am having the same problem my doctor said I have no signs of anything but this has been going on for about a month now and im very afraid but im trying not to be sooo stressed out about but cant seem to help it. I enjoy getting oral sex & its hard for me to decline but I have b.c of the taste
would drinking milk and eating more 'alkeline' food help, because i am having the same problem and i know that my diet consists of a lot of foods with vinegar... please help!
Look up CYTOLYTIC VAGINOSIS if you've been rigorously tested and come back with nothing. (Get all that nonsense out of the way first!) I have the opposite of a yeast infection -- overgrowth of probiotic lactobacilli. Their biproduct is lactic acid, which explains the sour taste. If you get itching/burning too your concentration may be much higher than mine. Baking soda sitz baths are the usual treatment, progressing to baking soda douches if that doesn't work.
everyone view stess incontinence. Have you ever laughed, coughed, exercised or sneezed and felt a slight wetness below? You need to strenghten you pelvc muscles! I also have this problem. I is most commonly caused from multiple childbirth (when your line is stripped, freq. UTI's, and spinal injuries (Like I have from my car wreck) which affects the pelvic area. Look it up Ive been searching for a answer for 2yrs until recently I hope this helps. WEBMD.COM has detailed information on this disease.
STRESS INCONTINENCE URINARY INCONTINENCE
Ive been having the exact same problem and i cry after i leave every doctor apointment. My results all come back normal ive been tested for just about everything. My pap just came back normal and i dont have bv or a yeast infection. Im not highly stessed or anything but my discharge is kind of a cloudy white color and it taste really sour. Every time I go to the doctor they say i look normal but its not.
having the same problem ,i talk with my doc and she said i should lots of pineapple juice.
Hi there, have u tried the doctor's method ? Does it help ?
I've been having a similar problem - my discharge was white and thickish (not clear, slimy/slippery like it should be). There was no smell, but the taste was all wrong - BITTER, SOUR, TART. It was gross and went on for many months. I tried metrondazole (prescribed for BV), and I tried squirting hydrogen peroxide into my vagina, as I had seen some message boards recommend. No avail - the odorless, sour taste remained. It was very gross/embarrassing and I would not let my husband go down on me.

I read last night about baking soda and decided to give it a whirl. Some boards suggested swishing in a bath of baking soda and water but this didn't sound like it would get the solution way up into the problem area enough. So I made a mixture of half baking soda/half water (about a teaspoon of each), poured that into a plastic syringe (no needle of course), laid on my back and squirted the sucker in. It BURNED LIKE HELL. I thought I had made a horrible mistake and splashed cold water on the outside of my vagina to try to stop the burning. It was very painful. I went to bed whimpering and feeling like I had seriously damaged the old Queen Victoria. When I woke up, there was no stinging/burning sensation. Without much hope, I tasted my juices. THE SOUR TASTE WAS GONE!!! I finally, finally tasted like my old, clean, normal self. It's been about 24 hours since the baking soda/water insertion and there is NO SOUR TASTE!!

Ladies, try this out  - it's easy and practically free. The only cost is the burning, burning pain you'll feel but that is SO WORTH getting rid of the disgusting, embarrassing sour taste.
Here is one thing in particular that I noticed--I had to be on antibiotics for about a week not too long ago (after having oral surgery) During the period that I was taking those antibiotics, I tasted completely flavorless down there. Antibiotics kill off all the bacteria, included the good bacteria in your body. A day or two after stopping the antibiotics, my flavor began to come back but it was very mild. Just a little salty or mildly sour but not bad. I then began developing a yeast infection. I've only ever had two yeast infections and both times were after coming off antibiotics. After treating my yeast infection and getting back to "normal" (no more itch or burning or abnormal discharge caused by yeast infection) my strong bitter/sour flavor returned.

I'm 25, very healthy, work out a ton, am in good shape, no known health problems, I eat a decent diet and drink lots of water. I also drink a lot of Kefir and eat a lot of yogurt. I'm beginning to think this is either normal (to have a bitter taste) or there is an overgrowth of GOOD bacteria in my body. I have no itching, swelling, burning, pain or foul smell...only the foul taste. I'm going to try the baking soda sitz baths but if those don't work, I'm going to assume that my situation is rather normal and only hormone and diet related.

It just doesn't seem logical that there would be any real reason to worry so long as there is no foul smell, unusual discharge or pain, itching or burning.
You mentioned that after trying the baking soda solution, the sour taste/smell was gone the next day. Has the sour taste/smell returned at all?
wow. you girl's 'taste' yourself on a regular basis? ha.
What about now? Has the taste returned? Was this the only time you had to do this? Please give detailed answeres, puhleez!!!!
I have had a bacterial infection and a little bit of yeat. I took all my medicines and I've gotten rid of it all. But for some odd reason my NORMAL TASTE want come back. Can someone please help me
Yes, no different than smelling your armpits to ensure your personal hygiene is acceptable, or doing a BSE for health reasons.
Hm.  I honestly think it is a tiny bit different.  Doctors don't do a taste test.  Luck to all but I wouldn't taste your discharge.  Unless you do so all the time and do so regularly with others, how are you to know if it is unusual?  it probably has no real benefit.  good luck
Thank you so much, IT WORKED! I had taken antibiotics for a post surgical infection and in spite of taking probiotics, kefir, douching (even with vinegar, as was suggested elsewhere), not only did my discharge continue to be whitish and VERY SOUR but then I developed a painful RASH and even open lesions. I had already been tested for every STD imaginable and all were negative, so I knew my pH balance was off due to the meds.

I used a backing soda douche and even applied baking soda externally for as long as I could stand the burning - about 2 hours. Then after rinsing it off I tried another remedy I had read about; applied cold pressed coconut oil internally and eternally... SWEET! Within 6 hours my rash had almost completely cleared up. Within less than 24 hours I am totally healed, no redness, no open lesions and is my man going to get a tropical treat tonight! COCONUT OIL is a miracle cure all! Some of it's beneficial properties are preventing/curing Alzheimer, a natural antibacterial, anti fungal and antiviral (they say it can kill herpes virus). BONUS... it is the best SKIN SOFTENER and LUBRICANT I have ever tried.

This website was not easy to find, so I hope other women suffering from SOUR TASTING VAGINAL DISCHARGE find there way here.
Women do not need to taste their discharge to understand something isn't right.  Again, everyone's ph is different and what is abnormal for one woman might not be for another who is healthy.  Really an unreliable way to discover what is going on.  

Douching is never ever recommended for women.  This in itself distorts proper ph and is unhealthy.  Doctors always advise against this and want posters to have proper information on that.  Don't douche.  

good luck
For a few months I had a sour vaginal taste. I went to the GYN and all tests came back clean...but this ish really bothered me. So, I thought about what I wasn't doing and I realized I wasn't drinking enough if any water...I started drinking 2-3 cups of water per day/cut out the juice and now the taste is back to normal...

Doesn't hurt to try but if you haven't done it already try drinking plenty of water..It worked for me and I know how frustrating this issue could be!

NurseT
I had this same problem. I used to drink soft drinks all the time, but the last time I got a uti I drank nothing but water and my discharge went from sour to an almost buttery, somewhat sweet taste. I still drink nothing but water, but when I get a headache I'll drink something to get caffeine and my discharge will get sour again, so there's definitely a connection there.  Your diet in general plays a big part in how your body tastes, judging by my experience and what I've read online, but water should definitely help you out.
I went to doctor and she told me I have sour vagina. She told me to eat healthy food, ore dairy products...she said that because of sour vadina i probably can not get pregnant. does anyone have this problem? what to do than? I googled it, but it seems that nobady has this problem.
Check all of your hormone levels at the doctors gitlfriend just developed the problem after starting lupron which drastically altered her hormone levels may or may not be the prob but give it a shot
Hi Maya, did the sour taste ever come back??? I would really love to know I'm having the same problem.
Hi Madeline, Did the sour taste ever come back??? I would really love to know because I'm having the same problem :( thanks!
Yes it will,I swear by it and if you taste really bitter put a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in some water (at least 8 oz) and drink it. You can also douche with baking soda and water but make sure you eat plenty of yogurt to keep your vaginal ph. I used to not drink a lot of water and only drink diet soda MAN, let me tell you I tasted horrible!!! Now I taste good. I don't mind going down at all. Eating a lot of onions makes you taste really good to believe or not!!! Don't douche more than twice a month and don't add scents, oils, or other crap!!! People can get infections from douching especially if the don't eat yogurt or enough yogurt!!!