Spinal Headache from Lumbar Puncture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Spinal Headache from Lumbar Puncture

My husband went into the ER early Friday morning for a horrible migraine. The doctor wanted to test for Meningitis (sp?) so they did a lumbar puncture (spinal tap). The tests came back negative, but we ended up back in the ER on Christmas morning because my husband was in severe pain in his back and head. We were told that he has a "spinal headache" from the spinal tap. He was in so much pain that he passed out when we got to the check-in window of the ER, and had to be wheeled in the rest of the way. They had him on morphine for a few hours and sent him home with some strong pain killers. He's okay on the meds, but every time they wear off the pain comes back. Has this happened to anyone here and do you know how long it will last?
The main symptom of post-LP headache is pain when upright with zero pain when lying down; sometimes with nausea when up.  It is due to continuing leakage of spinal fluid out of the spinal canal.  It usually clears up in 24-48 hours with strict bedrest; but it really does have to be strict (up for toilet only, nothing else).  If it persists more than 1-2 days despite these measures, ask for an "epidural blood patch".  It's essentially a repeat LP with injection of some of the patient's own blood into the space just outside the spinal canal itself.  It sounds wierd, but it works like magic; all pain usually is totally gone within an hour.  (Anesthesiologists are well trained in the procedure; I wouldn't let anyone else do one on me.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks so much. We were told about the blood patch, but were not told that it would work right away. My husband has been holding out because he didn't want another LP, but if it's going to help him right away, maybe we'll just go back. I tell you it's been a nightmare. We were in and out of the ER all Christmas! Thanks again.
They perform a spinal tab on my special kid daughter, she can not talk. but I can tell she is on pain, how long does this is going to last.
I had a lp on Monday, and for the last few days I have a bad headach, It feels beeter when I first get up, But two hours into my work I comes back, Could I still be suffering from a lp headach?
If you have a headache that only hurts while you are in an upright position for more than 24 hours after a LP.  Go to the hospital and get a BLOOD PATCH....it is a little uncomfortable much less pain than the LP.  but it is instant relief just go do it.  The anestigologist will perform this right in the ER.  trust me i suffered with the headache for 4 days it was horrible
i had a lp done two days ago. the headache was horrible! i went back to the hospital. the doctor there did not want the blood patch done . he thought it should be the last resort. he gave me some perocet. it works, but makes me very weak and tired. should i go back?
wow my story is a lil diffrent i was in labor and had an epidural imediately after giving birth i had the spinal headache. the day i came home with the baby i had to go right back to the emergency room because the pain was unbearable.they admitted me for 7 days and sent me home with percoset i had the option to do the blood patch but they said if it worked it would work imediatly and if it didnt i would have the spinal headache again. not again because it never went away i had the headache for 1 month straight, My question to u guys is does it ever really go away?its been 2 years and i still get severe headaches every once in a while.is it just me?
Well, i went to the E.R one week ago yesterday with a very bad migraine...never having one before, they tested me for meninjitis by doing a LP....The test came back neg, however i ended up with a spinal headache...they did the "magical" blood patch" after spending 3 days in the hospital, many meds and one week later and all other tests neg, i am still feeling the affects.....what in the world is going on....tingly fingers and toes....dizziness, nausa, ears plug up and i feel outside of myself.....i just want to be normal again....when will this ever go away?
I 25 days ago I went to the ER with the same symptoms you are describing and every test they did came back negative I was wondering if they ever found out what was wrong with you?