Staining, Mild cramping during early pregnancy

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

According to the internet, I was 5 weeks and a few days pregnant when I woke up to a brown spot in my panty liner.  I was having very mild cramping/pulling feeling at one time or another almost everyday since my missed period.  I went to the Dr. and they did the ultra sound on me and the Dr. was able to see a very tiny sac.  He said that in this coming week the baby should develop a heart beat.  I got no answers, I was told it was too early and to come back in a little over a week.  Then I would see if it had a heart beat and go for blood work.  Now I should be 6 weeks tomorrow and I am still staining in my panty liner and most times that I wipe after using the bathroom there has typically been brown/almost black blood, however, once it was red.  Sometimes it even drips out of me, 2 to 8 drips, but only when I am using the bathroom.  Again, other times I use the bathroom and there is next to nothing that comes out.  This is day 4 of the staining and I am not feeling any cramping at all today.  It is my first pregnancy and of course I am concerned.  My only saving grace is my mother told me that the same thing happened to her at around the same time when she was carrying my brother.  I don't have any sexually transmitted diseases, I don't have any infections that I am aware of, and I have a very normal temperature of 98.6.  Aside from taking 5 positive pregnancy tests, the only other signs of pregnancy has been my very mild cramping/pulling, extreme fatigue, and I am very emotional.  What could this be?  Do you think the baby and I are okay?
Avatar n tn
You are more than likely fine. The pulling is your ligaments preparing themself for your growing fetus.  It is normal to spot brown/almost black blood, that is old blood.  It is when you get bright red blood, more than a drip that you should be concerned.  

Your dr is right around 6 weeks there should be a heart beat.  Although it is normal to not see a heartbeat till 7 weeks.  I am in that club.  Please try not to worry and if you are really really concerned you can go to the ER or urgent care.  

Good Luck!
Don't bother with the ER, they will just send you home.  What you are describing is very normal in early pregnancy.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for your responses.  It seems that the more people I speak to, the more common it seems to be.  My next Dr. appointment isn't for another week so hearing positive things will help me get through this week. : )
Avatar n tn
I am about 6 weeks along and have experienced some mild cramping and a light brown staining.  I haven't really experienced morning sickness yet, but my breast are very sore and I've been so exhausted for the past week.
Avatar n tn
Hi, this is really strange i have had the exact same experience as yourself. I found out i was pregnant then i noticed  brown/black staining, this has been going on for the past three days, its not getting any heavier but also hasnt stopped. I have been really worried, i was obviously concerned that i am having a miscarriage. Ive got an appointment with the "early pregnancy assessment unit" next week, but its three days away and i know how you feel you want answers now!
Good luck to you, we will just have to relax and play the wainting game.

xx
delswife1963 added the CFS/FMS Tracker
Des_a_rae, and KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
AnnieBrooke commented on VICourageous's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals