Still Getting Periods At Age 56

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Still Getting Periods At Age 56

I still am getting periods (although not regular).  I will be 56 years old in November.  Doc did FSH tests, determined I was post-menopausal.  The periods, though, are true periods.  Breast tenderness, bloating, increased appetite, cramps, etc., run five days, normal flow.  Now she wants me to get a vaginal ultrasound to make sure uterine lining is not thick, etc...Now I worried that I have cancer!!  Other people say don't worry about it, you'll stay younger looking longer!  Am looking for opinions and/or to hear from women who've gone through the same thing.  Thank you.
Your doctor should not tell you a term like "post-menopausal" if you are having periods, that is totally an inappropriate things to say since the medical definition of menopause is having a year with no period.  If she is saying your FSH levels are similar to someone who is post-menopausal, that is all very interesting, but you are not post-menopausal if you are still having periods!  Was your estrogen level normal for a pre- or peri-menopausal woman, and was your progesterone level also normal?  I hope she did not just test FSH.
The normal age range for the occurrence of menopause is somewhere between the age of 45 and 55. So even if you are 56 and having the periods, it is better to get an evaluation done. Menopause depends on genetics also, so if your mother had it at a later age, then chances are there that you will have it at a later age.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.