Stop period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Stop period

I am currently on the birth control patch. Usually, I skip every other month of my period (because I am anemic and you have no idea how much it drains me) well, i gave myself a few days off the patch, had my period for a day, and re-applied a new patch. I am STILL having my period, and it's been since Sunday. I took off the patch today.

I was wondering -- is there anyway to STOP your period, even for a day?

Forgive me for being blunt, but I would really like to have sex with my boyfriend on Friday, before we both go away for a month. I don't know that I want to do this while I am menstrating, unless there's some unmessy way to do so.

Any suggestions, ladies? Thank you in advance.

I was on the patch also. if you took it off for a few days and then put one on a few days later and then took it off again, you could have screwed up your periods. Are you supposed to have your period now? If so it's only been 4 days.
For the sex thing, you could do it in the shower, or use a towel or something.
As for the anemia thing, have you talked to your dr about a different bc? There is one out now that you only get your period 4 times a year. I think it's called Seasonale.
Good Luck
This wouldn't stop your period, but there is a rather new feminine product known as Instead. I bought some at a Walgreens and I think they have them at CVS also. They're kind of a little cup that you insert into your vagina just beneath your cervix so that it catches all the blood before it leaves your body. Lots of women (on their website) claim that they can have "clean sex" while using it and their partner doesn't even know it's there. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a look :o)

Here's their website: http://www.softcup.com/

Thank you ladies, you are wonderful!

In wake of the recent birth control patch scandal, and I am thinking of switching to Seasonale -- but I was a little worried about the side effects.
I bought the softcup, I haven't tried having sex with it in yet -- but it seems like it's not too difficult to use so far.
let me know how it goes! I'm curious.
Well, I almost got to try it -- but my period flow got WORSE! :(

I think the softcup is great, if your flow is not too bad. If it is, you run the risk of having a really awful leak because there's too much in it.

When my period is regulated again by birth control, I will definitely try the softcup again.
sandgril  i just have question i have lots of pain in my tumy and i am in my period i wish if i could do something to stop my period.
Hello!  I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to stop your period for about a week, see, I have a ball to attend this weekend and I only use pads and since my dress is white it will be TERRIBLE to go while I'm on my period!  I am going to start tomorrow or wednesday so I really only need to delay it's coming until after saturday.  is there anything I can eat or drink?
I want to know is there a way to stop a period.  I havent had one in about a year and my doc gave me a pill to start it again.  And then she put me on Yaz.  Well since I have been on Yaz I have been bleeding everyday and its only gettin worse.  I want to stop it by the weekend or at least before the 4th of July!!! Is there anything that can help me other than the soft cup?
yes i want to know my period keep on coming last wesnday and what can i take it for it please me my email is ***@**** i want know as as possible if you can help me please i don't know what else i can talk

my name is pallavi
thanks for the help
take care
Is their anyway To stop your period for a hole year without Birth control pills and putting something up your ******?

please contact me:

***@****
how can my daughter stop her period she had it about  a month .without going to a doctor..
eat a few lemons throughout the day before and that day and it will stop also taking 800mg to 1000mg (i hope thats the correct abrv) evry 6 hrs will do the trick: ;-)
is there anyway to stop your period without using any medication? i started this morning and for the first time my boyfriends parents are outta town, we wanna have sex tonight but now i can't. please let me know. thank you
Ibuprofen.  About 800mg like every 4 hours.  If you start that morning it should be almost stopped or even stopped by that night.  Might also want to eat when you do this.  Upsets my stomach after the first few times.  
I just got my period today and I am so upset. I am seeing my boyfriend tomorrow and we hardly see eachother and we were looking forward to having sex. Is there anything I can do to stop my period? Pills are not an option because we are not trying to stop pregnancy nor trying to get pregnant. is there anything I can do to stop it? I see him tomorrow from 6;30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m is there anything please.
If you aren't currently on the pill, the only way would be to ask your doctor for a prescription for Norethisterone which is a type of progesterone. If you start taking it 3-4 days before your expected period, you will skip your period. You may get some breakthrough bleeding, but you will completely skip your period. Once you stop taking it, it will take a couple days for your period to return. This would be the only way to skip your period.   You can find more about the drug at:  http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30003232/
Omg I tried the softcup and it feels sooooo good! It works well too! My boyfriend had no idea! Thanks so much ladies for your help!! :)
hi does Ibuprofen realy work, or something my problema is this i have a colostomy and being in period hurts bad what can i do please any one help.
I was panicing there. They have just decided to change my pill which coinsides with the time I'm visiting my fella...  was thinking help! But thanks to you all I have now ordered soft cups - just incase - I feel a lot happier now :) I wouldn't think the ibro tabs would work, id be worried they would make the bleeding worse... I may be wrong though?!
Thanks guys xx
i want to have sex with my boyfriend today in it is the last day of my period can i stop it just for today
would it be a bad idea to try the ibprophen techn. if you plan to drink alcohol the same night?
help me ladies
Hi everyone,
i only get my period twice maybe three times a year.Iv had my period since i was 14 and im now 16.Im to scared to go to the doctor and when i do get them they are always really painfull they hurt so bad sometimes i cant even walk and it brings me to tears.

also sometimes they are really light for like two days and then stop.

is there somthing wrong with me??

please email me ***@****

thankyou :)
I was wondering if anyone has tried Norethisterone?  This is going to sound trashy, but oh well...my husband gets out of prison (after 4 LONG years) in December...I am due to start my period THE DAY he gets out, and would really prefer not to!  I need some advice on how to stop it and if anyone knows the side effects of Norethisterone that'd be great too!  Thank you so much, I will look for your responses on here!~
I am going on vacation in Feb and I am due the same week to start the monthly thing, is there a way to delay this for a week even if i were to take some type of b/c????

Please advise ASAP.....
phoney23

I am just wondering if anyone has ever tried Cerazette? Since I took it I was a week late for my original period and then I came on that week later and since then I havnt come off for about 3 weeks now. I stopped taking the pill and went to the doctors and they said it was just the pill kicking in ect. But when I did stop me and my boyfriend had sex on the 4 day break that I did stop and the day after we had sex I had very heavy bleeding. Sex seems to trigger my period since I have been taking Cerazette. I just want them to stop. I am seeing my boyfriend tomorrow night and I am on a period again!!! can someone advise me on how I can do this. And does the Ibuprofen really work I am going to try it tomorrow but I am scared if it makes my period worse. Thanx guys I will keep a watch for any replies. xxx
I have not been on BC in years and I am 30. I really want to stop my period because it has me in tears and fedal position. I really want it to stop it just started like 15 mins ago and I am hurting badly. I really want it gone can anyone help with advice that works please.
There is absolutely no way you can stop your period unless you go to the doctor...my doc gave me these small orange pills to take and it stopped my within 2 days...i personally used the softcup...im not a heavy flow but when i tried to have sex with it in i was still seeing blood so i had to stop
I have tried many things so I hope these methods can help. Once we understand that our bodies are getting rid of toxins we can start to experience less frustration. What we put in our bodies has a MAJOR EFFECT on this matter.So smoking, eating very heavy meals( Meats,Dairies,Sugary Snacks etc..) Should be avoided as much as possible. Drinking lots of water -                          ENORMOUS AMOUNTS and eating fresh fruits and vegetables can be very helpful.Natural Apple cider vinegar with the mother is a known cleanser and could possibly speed up the cleanse, carrots are said to slow down flow and rice has been said to be effective in eliminating cramps. Just remember the more toxins you consume the longer your cleansing will last and the more inconvenient it'll be.
are you guys sure about the soft cup i hate having these peroides every one talking about stoping it to have sex well mines least fore 3 weeks every month i could just die whats the best way to stop it completly surergry wise
My sister has the Mirena IUD and doesn't have periods with it.  It lasts for about 5 years at a time.  
ok.
i have had my period for less than a year now, and i would like to know which is better, tampons, or pads, and why are they better? well anyway, thanks in advanced.
Neither is better than the other. It's all personal preference. There's pros and cons to each. You have to decide what you want more. With tampons you don't have to worry about it shifting or being bulky like you do with pads. But they can also leak if you get the wrong absorbency and you can get TSS with them which can be fatal. Try both and see what you like.
Hi, I need help im pretty young and this is my second period in 3 months i just started this moring and i'm very upset i know this is what happens but the reason im upset is i had my first period 3 days before my birthday so i had it for my birthday which was very upsetting now just 2 days before the first day of school i started and i really don't want it for the first day of school! I've thought about birth control just to stop it for a day or 2 but i think im to young for that so i was wondering if ther is anything i could take, eat, do to make it stop for at least a day or 6 hours? please please i need help i don't kno what to do! :'(
I was wondering about my period also. I'm 23 and my periods have been regular until about May this year. I didn't have one for 2 months and then it started the second week of July and went till the second week of August. Started again the second week of this month and haven't stopped yet. I haven't had any cramping or anything like that. What should I do.
if you use the soft cup will your partner know you have it on if you get fingered ?
i saw this today and ran out and got a box of softcups. i'm pretty happy with them so far, but is it just me or are they HUGE! i wish they came in more sizes, other than pamela anderson's bat cave... just a thought
I just googled "how to stop my period" cause I am going away tomorrow with my boyfriend. I must say i'm loving this sight... cant wait to go on my lunch break and purchase those Softcups. Which i googled as well and the brand name is INSTEAD if your looking.
Thanks Ladies
Isabella
amazing that this conversation has lasted over 5 years...  Women are still trying to find out ways to get their period over with for a special occassion!  Me too apparently or I wouldn't be here...  I'm going to try the lemons and ibu, although I already started my period today so not sure if it's going to work.
I've tried the softcups but they are too big for me...  I could never get them inserted correctly and they just didn't fit...  LOL
Eating healthy with more natural foods and lots of water does help make the period go by faster with less cramping, but I want it gone NOW!!  :)
I just started birth control, one that's a shot into your butt, 2 months ago. Last month, I didn't have my period. But this month, I have it. Now, that's not such a big deal; but it's been going on for 9 days and doesn't look like it's stopping soon. I'm seeing my boyfriend for the first time in 3 months in 1 week, and I will honestly do anything to make it stop in time. And no, I don't have the time for a doctor.
im going to see my boyfriend day after tomorrow after more than a yer n we pplan tohave sex. but i started chumming today. we will see each other again after one year or two. i need to stop my periods for two days. will ibprofen work? what is the dosage? please please please help
I've tried the softcup a few times and unfortunately I hate it.  The cups are HUGE!!!  They are almost impossible to get inserted correctly and even when you finally get them in correctly, they shift and leak not to mention that it feels like you have something huge stuck in there....which you do.  I wouldn't even attempt to try to have sex with one in unless your significant other isn't longer than your finger (just trying to spare you some embarrassment), mainly because they shift around enough just sitting down and standing up.  Plus if you finger can reach it to hook around the rim to pull it out then any guy who is longer than your finger is going to hit it.  Maybe if they would have more than one size of the cup so they would fit more women this would be a viable approach, but right now they have a "one size fits all" mentality and I can tell you for certain that we aren't all one size and shape, even there.
I am appalled by the misinformation being spread around here... Lemons and ibuprofen will NOT affect your period. The ibu will help with cramps, but taking 800 mg every 4 hours is way too much and can damage your liver, especially if you mix it with alcohol!!

If you want to stop your period, hormones are the only way to do it. You can skip the placebo pills if you take oral contraceptives, or if you get the Depo-provera shot (every 3 months) about half of women stop getting their period at all. I'm about to try this method.

As for sex, personally I think if you get to have sex with a woman, than it's stupid to be grossed out by her period. You're getting laid, dude! Get over it! But sadly, that's not the world we live in, so I recommend to you... the sea sponge! You just put it up there and it absorbs the blood. It's soft and comfortable and you can barely feel it. I love it so much I use it every month. Your partner will never even know it's there. Make sure to get a natural sea sponge and not an artificial or make-up sponge. Just rinse it out a couple of times a day and put it back in. Or just put it in right before sex if you don't want to use it all the time.

My wife is a porn star, so I can tell you with certainty that the sea sponge is what the professionals use when it's that time of the month and they need to get it on. ;)
hi,
I'm 16 now and when i get my periods i can't bear them it;s like i'm going to die out of pain.I can't go to the doctor and i can't use birth pills cuz my mum will notice which i don't want her to so I'm just looking for a way to stop getting period. u know, like having them every 3 months or so.So in that way it will hurt less.GUYS.pls is there anything i can eat or do to stop getting them.I don't want to get pregnant or anything so why did God choose this for us her/himself ?!please somebody help me i really want to get rid of them.give me some advice
I've tried the softcups and I personally LOVE them! However, I feel that it's a waste to throw them out after one use! In the words of the great Ronnie Dunn, the cost of livin's high and goin up. I like to use each cup for about 2 or 3 days. Afterward, I just stick them in the dishwasher. They make really nice shot glasses! Hope this helps!
Hi there.

my husband and I have something special planned for tommorrow but I just got my period. I would like to stop it asap. Please somebody help me.
If you have cramps their is away to never have them again! My pains used to make. Me want to committ suicide until I drinked my one of my many motherland remedies. Its was two herbs boiled together. And I haven't had pain since 2000 if u waNt more info email me @ ***@****!!!!;) and about the stopping the period ladies best way is to let it flow and birth control water doesn't really stop the period its only a myth!
Its not natural if. Your period.        Surpasses more than a month ladies its true about what u put in yourself, you all need to work out regularly and eat healthy when on ur period! And even off. Its the best way to get the best results so ladies.......  Start eating healthier
Working out.....drink lots of water...
And most important HYGEN!!! Meaning making sure your gettiNg ur regular
Check ups with ur gyNO and no infections are forming causing u to have pain or unhealthy Ms!!!!;)  
how can you get your period to stop with out any meds ive been on mine for 5 weeks then it stopped but it started back up
has anyone actually tried hing and does it work?
I love how a lot of people here are being really heirophantical about the entire issue. Most of the posters aren't asking how to stop their periods permanently, just for a few hours or maybe a day, so there really is no need to get all stuffy and yell at someone about how "unnatural" it is to want to put your period off for a bit.
I've surfed a few sites, done some personal research, and found that fresh lemon juice, cut lemons, and drinking gelatin (non-flavoured), can help stop the flow for a few hours. I don't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but the gelatin idea worked for me before, as did eating cut lemon.
Hello, ladies im not on birth control. But my period is crazy I have been on my cycle for twenty three days. I was wondering if there is a way to make it stop. When, I was on birth control it made me really sick I missed my pill one day and my period last a month long. So if y'all know anyway I can stop it besides douching please let me know thanks.
How would you get the sea sponge out afterward?  Is it just a matter of
bearing down until you can reach it?  Thanks
Do lots of really intense execise. I ended up skipping 3 periods cos of it. I recommend running and weight lifting , anything that tightens up those muscles. As 4 the sex, I am still a virgin :-( but my mAte was in same boat as u and got a female condom. Ur Boyf might notice but unlikely or just don't **** him.  Good luck!!!!
you may not want to talk to your mom, but you should consider it,  there is alot of help that you could get for this from the doctor, you shouldn't have to suffer and i'm sure your mom wouldnt want you too!  I am a mother of 6 daughters and i would want them to come to me so i could get them help!  We understand, really!  Good Luck!   Also the local health unit has nurses and are very helpful, if you really cant tell your mom,  you can go there and they it is confidential,  and they will be able to help you privately.   i used to go there when i was 16, and needed birth control and didn't want my mom to know.
To get rid of your period consume organic coconut juice it will reduce your period  infact sometimes you wont have it anymore . I know this because when i went for a visit to hawaii i just started my period i consumed coconut juice out of  coco and i had less blood flow and the next day i drank one and it stopped completely  i do this remedy everytime i am PMSing. My friend tryed it as well and it worked for her as well.
A cold douche and a glass of cold water will slow it way down for a few hours.

then add:
Unbleached/undyed sponges are my fav. You can cut them to fit the need all the time, have sex and there is no side effects. Plus they are reusable. Squat (in the tub), push and grab it out. Make sure you don't cut them real small and get a good grab cause they can break off then you are fishing... ewwww. I also prefer toilet paper over pads. Tampons are bleached and mess with your hormones. I had paralysis from PID from tampons. I almost died.

Young ladies, welcome to womanhood. The smiles on your future babies makes it all worth it. Please be careful with birth control methods. Just look at the Yaz lawsuit. Use lubricated condomns without spermicide (is pesticide). I prefer www.pasante.com cause they are a lot more natural feeling, don't get holes and are stronger than anything on the Amercian market.

Mature ladies (and those with complications), Asian woman use Don Quai tea to balance their hormones which in turn makes your monthly monster cat purr and controls flushing, night sweats...

I am excited to try the coconut juice. I have noticed that when I detox my system that I bleed less and not as long so I have also added douching with 1/2 cup of lemon juice in 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice because it is the best cleanser, balances your Ph, kills yeast and feeds the tissues keeping your uteran wall thin: the thickness controls your period; afterall the purpose of your period is sloughing it off and purging waste, right?

Toy users, put a condomn on it... lots more sanitary.

hi everyone i have tried all the methods in here the soft cups are too big so i did not like them as for the lemons and pill they did not help but i have good news, the sea sponge they are soft u can shape them according to your size and you dont feel them and if you have a man as blessed down there as mine they wont even feel them and no mess, you can buy them online at jade and pearl collection as for taking them out you can push them like your pushing a baby and then pull them out when your finger can hold on to them this is the answer.The thing is my man dint even now i was on my period or i even had the sponge since its soft and he cant tell.
I can not believe you are the only person who mentioned the Sea Sponge! That was a trick I had heard about as well from some friends in the industry and one of the oldest tricks in the book!! I have done it myself and it is the best thing. It is natural feeling, doesn't hurt and it absorbs the blood. Just make sure it is clean right before you have sex. The only down side to it is "digging" it out afterwards. But, if you want a safe way to have sex while on your period, this is the way to go. Go to any store that sells cosmetics and find a NATURAL Sea Sponge, wash it, cut off a large enough piece and insert. Easy and the guy doesn't know and can't feel it. :)
There is no way to stop your period ladies, yes it's depressing and gross but there are ways to attempt to stop your period from even starting.. If you are on birth control pills, there is a segment of pills at the end of the tablet.. Do not take these pills they serve no purpose other then to trigger your period to start. Instead of consuming these, start a new pack. The pills at the beginning will ultimately prevent you period.
I have used Ibuprofen 800mg every 6 hours and it has stopped my period...not every time, but at least 80% of the time.  I don't recommend this often, but occassionally (couple times a year). Ibuprofen is a medication and every medication does have risks.  Do not do it for an extended period of time...like if you don't want your period for a week vacation...this would not be recommended, but if for a night you don't want you period...it is worth a try.  HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED WITH HEAVY DRINKING!  I usually start the ibuprofen the day before I want my period to stop.  Do not skip a dose because it will start up.  Once you are ready for your period to begin...then stop taking the ibuprofen.  I have never had heavy periods...they've always been fairly light.  So if you do have heavy periods...this probably will not work for you.  
theres nothing wrong with u just eat plenty of fruit n veg as the vitamin and iron levels in your blood might be low which is causing this to happen sometimes stress can give this problem.
does anyone no how i can stop my period medication free ?:( im meetin this guy ive hada super crush on for ages and he has asked me to have sex .. struuglin here.. help??
no theres nothing wrong. probably means you have not fully developed yet. but if it persists till you are about 18 or 20 then you are highly recommended to go see a doctor.
also look online for foods that could stimulate a healthier period. :) food plays a big role.
I AM 11 AND MY MOM CANT THINK OF ANY WAYS TO STOP MY PERIOD EARLY
no nothing is wrong with you,it can be very painful for some of us and your cycle can run from as few as 2-3 days to 5-9 days, it can start out slow and get heavier,or start out heavy and than slow down.make you sick to your tummy,feel drained, blas, grumpy,back pain,cramps. pampern is great. but don't be afraid to see a doctor if you have more concerns or even talk to someone you  trust.
i hvent had my period yet but im so scared cuz my mom is gunna tell evryone one i said wen i get it imma hide and bye my own tampons plzz help me
There are these things called soft cups for your period they block ur cervix and collect the blood and u can still have with it on google it and check it out
hi ive been sterolized,and im still having heavy periods,very month,and its stared to stress me out.is there anything  to stop it all together,if there is can you let me know?i'm a 42 yr old female.
i have a party in 2 days and im wearing a white dress and the lad i really fancy is gonna be ther but i have got my period today. because im 16 i dont to take any meds so if theres a natural way to speed my period up id love to know and thanks in advance
It is okay not to consume those brownish pills at the end of the BCP pack as they are iron pills. They do not, however ,trigger your period to start. Your period starts as a result of stopping the hormones in the BCP's.  Not allowing your body to have the week off before starting a new pack of BCP is bad for your  body and dangerous.
Hi. im going to a waterpark tomorrow early. Is there ANYTHING or ANYWAY I can stop my period? ive never used a tampon and dont plan to. And I don't want 2 wear a pad.
hey ladies, if ya'll really wan't to stop your period for a day, get in the tub and stay there for like 8 to 10 minutes and then your period will go away for a day (:
- katherine mercedes <3 .
I'm 15 years old and for the last 6 years I've been having periods. I get my period every two weeks for 7-10 days at a time. I suffer terribly with back pain and stomach pain and I get physically sick. My doctors keep telling me periods are irregular at first, but it's been like this for 6 years!! They won't give me any birth control pills because of my age. Please help me to lessen the pains of my period and how often they are. Please, anything.
whats the remedies for cramps!
Talk to your doctor about ablation. This scrapes the wall of the uterus and usually stops the period without having a hysterectomy.
hello every one all want your periods to stop well try
LYBREL:
365 DAYS PILL, RESULTING IN NO PERIODS AT ALL
GO TO THE FAMILY PLANING  AND ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION IM GOING BACK ON LYBREL SOON TOTALY FREEDOM
Hi. I am eleven years old and I am slim and I have just got my period.. Is that strange?? Anyway wen I got it.. I freaked out and told my mum.. But she said that I am too young and small to use anything (if U get wot I mean?!) so what should I do??? This is desperate so please let me know id U have advice.. Thnx xx
hey girl!!!

im kinda in the same situation .. this weekend i will see they guy that i met 2 years ago and weve only seen like 4 times.. does that cup thingi works? do you feel it? is it uncomfortable???
omg im so scared... plus i was not supposed to et my period im taking pills and for some reason in the mid of the pack i got it. fml.

please let me know!
yogurt really helps
well i am 15 and i had the same problem except mine went for 3 months. turns out i lost more than half of my blood and if i waited for another 2 weeks i would have died from blood loss. i had to get a blood transfusion and im not a ton of medication now. not birth control though because that can cause you to be sterile. so get to the doctor immediately.
I am 47 years old,   I have not had a period for over one year and then I went walking for 1/2 mile and I started my period and lasted for 9 days...then stopped for 2 weeks and then started again and went for 9 more days and now been over a month and nothing..... I am  5 foot 1 and very heavy 270 lbs.    I did go to the doctor he wants to do a D and C but he still can not explain why I stopped bleeding for a year and then why the strange bleeding .    what can you tell me ?????
Ok so this weekend I was planning on spending the night at my bf's house and u know how it is :/ !my damn heavy flow period ruined it all and I'm wondering how to slow it down til Friday
Uggg this period **** is so friken annoying! I am 13 and it just goes on and on! I took a bath and it stopped for 8 hours works every time! But comes back later. You could also try the ibprofin thing or asprine but i dont know if it is safe! Best of luck!
I have been blooding to three weeks now and I don't know how to stop it and I am getting really weak so please help
Can you please tell me how much of gelatin should be mixed with how much water before engaging i sex. How long before sex should it be consumed? Too when should the lemon juice be drank. I haven't been with my significant other in a while, and really miss him, and I plan on getting w/ him tomorrow, it will be the third day of my period. I am looking for a sure fire way just to stop the bleeding for 3 hours. Help please!!! Thank you!! PJ ;)
where can I buy this sea sponge?