WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Strange Odor
by Boonie 85, Dec 15, 2005
I've been noticing a strange odor from my vagina lately with my last 3/4 periods. With the first period that I noticed it - I thought nothing of it because I had just started having sexual intercourse again. Then I missed a period (unknown reasons) and the smell was still there as though if the period was as well. This last period the smell was there once again... the best way to describe the smell is as if something crawled up me and died. heh. =/ Or it smells like reallllly old blood - as if I left a tampon inside (but I don't use tampons) or it smells like a really old pad. I take daily baths... I don't know what could be causing this. I'm hoping that it will pass in a few days since my period just ended. If it doesn't, I will see a DR. However, I just wanted some OPINIONS and to see if anyone has ever had this problem...
Member Comments (13)
by greenpixie, Dec 15, 2005
This sometimes happens to me too.  It hasn't happened in several months, but there have been times when I would notice a strange odor the day or 2 after AF ended.  I never had pain or itching and it didn't last very long.  I didn't ever see a DR b/c I just thought it was a nucance.  You could have some type of bacterial infection.  It's probably nothing to be too concerned about.
by Boonie 85, Dec 15, 2005
I reckon I should have stated this as well, it's not just after AF ends. It's during, after and sometimes a few days before it starts. It's rather embarassing too. I'm afraid it's going to get to the point of causing a problem in my sex life. I can smell it just sitting at my desk here at work and it's making me very self concious because I wonder if other people can smell it too.
by greenpixie, Dec 15, 2005
If it's happening that often it's probably bacterial.  You should go to the DR and see how they can treat it.  In the meantime, stay away from douching, that can actually make it worse.  You may just want to keep a few wet cloths with you and "freshen up" a bit throughout the day.  I would just use plain water since soap can irritate that area.  Good luck with this.  I know it must be annoying.  Let me know what you end up finding out.
by oceans3, Dec 15, 2005
the smell you describe.. does it almost smell "ammonia" (sp) like? also is the smell just around period time?
by kbilliot22, Dec 19, 2005
I have the same situation, I have a odor that smells like chemicals, maybe ammonia. But I have this other odor other times, my husband notices it but when i recently went to the dr. he did an exam, a pap, and u/s (vaginally) and never mentioned anything about an odor. I know it's there but if he isn't aware of it should I be worried? Also, I think I have a leaky bladder, could that be the odor??
by MrsRay, Jun 10, 2008
I am starting to have a strange odor now and my boyfriend told me the other day that he smelled it. I just figured it was from the fact the the day before it was so hot and I sweated a lot down there and work third shift so just hadnt bath yet but sometimes i smell it a lil while after i bathe.  I also feel like I am always leaking. Like fluids are just constantly flowing from my body.  I feel that it may b an infection but i have no itching or soreness of that sort. So dont really now what to tell you.  Right now Im just looking on google to see what I can find about strange odors in the vagina
by tweet1979, Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the input everyone. I recently had a strange odor as well, but it wasn't like ammonia. It smelled like old blood, like an infected tooth or something. There was no itching, irritation, discoloration or discharge and it started when my period did. I believe it is an infection now. I hope it goes away soon. Thanks for all your help. I can put my mind at ease now.

...as for the ammonia smell I've had before, I think it's because urine may have leaked onto my undies when it was a hot sweaty day and at the end of the day it smelled like ammonia. People have told me that urine will smell like ammonia after it sits for a period of time, especially in the heat. I just washed and changed my underwear and it fixed the problem.
by dougla26, Mar 10, 2010
i've had these same problems for years now, sometimes its mild and sometimes my vigina smells like a fish market, its really embarrasing and i have to wear panty liners all the time and i'm wondering if this is why i can't get pregnant HELP!!!