Strange period, bright red one week, dark brown about 10 days later.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hello, I am starting to get very worried about my period. I got my regular period on March 9 for about 4-5 days. That is normal for me. Then on March 24, I got my period again, but it was bright red and just seemed really different to me. That lasted about 4 days as well, but it wasn't in the same pattern a regular period is. Just lots of bleeding. Then yesterday ( April 6 ) -- the day my period was suppose to come, I starting spotting dark brown. I figured by today it would be normal but it's not. I wore a pad today so I could moniter it better and it is still dark brown ( almost a black ) and really thick. I have been sexually actie without protection ( we are not trying to get pregnant, just not trying not to ) Could the march 24th blood be a miscarrage (miscarriage)? Is the brown normal? Thanks to all who comment.
Well, it's kind of hard to say...
These questions are always hard to answer, if you can understand why.
It could be a very early miscarrage (miscarriage), or it could just be one of those 'weird' periods we get ever so often.
You really should see a doctor about it. Given that you're kind of winging it with the sex thing, it raises the possibilities.
Hope everything goes well.
Thanks I think I will go and see my doctor. Today the spotting stopped so it is just making me more worried about it.
I have had this also. Turned out I was pregnant, with my 4th and was put to bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy. My water broke 2 months early he is now 7 and I had a laproscopic histerectomy last week and kept my ovaries. Turned out I had a small tumor in the wall of my uterious. I suggest you get an ultrasound done. This way you know for sure. Oh yea that brown blackish stuff, it lasted for 5 months of the pregnancy. So be careful, do exactly what your doctor tell you and good luck.
okay i need everyones help i got my period one week early it was very heavy bright red that lasted 5 days then when i thought i had finished i had dark brown blood?or discharge? yesterday my stomach felt weird like if popcorn been popped in there lol i kno stranged i also get hungry aloott? im 18 years old and i been with my fiance for 4 years its been 1 year since having unprotected sex and he always cms in me?
I normally have extremely regular periods - pain and heavy bleed the first 1-2 days then gone by about the 4th/5th day.  Last month I experienced a very light period with no pain.   On the 4th day I thought I had finished but luckily wore a pad to bed that night - i completely flooded it along with alot of black gunk (TMI but looked like chopped liver - v. gross).  I wore a pad that day with nothing else.  All was normally until this month when I started as usual, severe pain and not overly heavy but enough.  That was on monday, now 6 days later I am still getting a bit of brownish discharge on a daily basis - just enough to warrant a pad - sometimes with a bit of red but other times just the brown.  Can anyone advise?
I'm kinda in the same boat..I'm young, 18, I already have a son who's two and my last normal period was in December and it was the second week, then in January i came a week early, on the 4th, and I'm like clock work starting first thing in the morning but this time i started at 9 pm and it was almost black blood just pouring while i was going to the bathroom, sorry tmi, then by morning it was just very light pink and brown spotting and went on like that, just the spotting, until the night of the 8th.....my periods last 6-7 days on average...and then today,1-30, at 5 i started bleeding and about 3 hours before that i started cramping and about 4:30-45 i was doubled over in cramps and i haven't needed to wear more than a light pad....normally i need to use a regular or super at the most, now i'm just spotting bright red and brown with small/medium clots, sorry tmi i know,
please need advice you see i have an  iud copper it was inserted about a year ago ever since my periods have been hevier but have lasted the most 7 days but now today is my 10th day it had stopped a lil but came down again it feels like its starting all over again wat do yous think?? ive been sexualy active for 3 years now and im 20  i have a one year old  ooo and something else i wanna let yous know i had a really bad uti about 4-5 months ago they thought it was cervicitis but it wasnt was just a uti also now i am feeling kinda dizzy and have a bad migrane (migraine) i know its from so much blood ive lost but wat do yous recommened or suggest...
thanks