Strange red rash/blistering surrounding/on labia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Okay, so I guess I should start when this first starting appearing. I will start by saying I've had the same partner for nearly 3 years, and there are no other partners involved, and as far as I know we are both clean, so I'm doubting this is an std, but I wanted everyone's opinion.

Just before Valentine's day, I shaved "down there". I noticed about two to three weeks later I developed what I suppose was a yeast infection, though not one I'm used to. I developed a white substance that was "shedding" (the only appropriate word for it, from what I could tell) from my labia. I used an otc cream and it went away, but it took several weeks, and the skin burned and itched rather badly, so I started using 20%-type vagicaine to deal with the pain. Then I noticed the skin was very red, sort of like heat rash that you get when you've been outside running around too much... and it has steadily gotten worse ever since... now it hurts to sit, and I have these small skin colored-to-rash colored bumps bumps that are sort of clustered (they feel kind of like ingrown hairs, but that was several months ago!) around my labia, in addition to the red swollen skin, which has now spread to the area between my anal and vaginal openings... it's getting pretty bad. Someone recommended diaper ointment, so I've used that a little when the pain is unbearable. I've had to quit wearing underwear, because I thought it might be irritating it, but now this strange rash/bumps have spread to my left underarm... but it's almost gone from there with constant use of neosporin and diaper rash ointment, and only lasted about two weeks there, tho it's still healing.

I know this is kind of long, and yes I've waited much too long to go to the doctor, but I kept hoping it'd go away... I'm rather uncomfortable around drs. I've made an appt to see a gyno, but does anyone have any idea what this might be? I've been suggested everything from herpes to psoriasis to heat rash because I'm overweight... I would appreciate anyone's help... the skin is starting to take on a slightly shriveled appearance near the bumps, but I think that's due to being this way so long... I appreciate any suggestions!

The only other thing I can think to add is that I have a small white-headed cold sore on the roof of my mouth right now and have been having headaches, but those might be completely unrelated symptoms, as far as I know.

Thanks!
does your partner have a cold sore, or had a cold sore lately? you can get genital herpes from a cold sore if he performs oral sex on you, to ease your mind a bit, herpes wont last for 3 months without going away, usually its 10 to 15 days, the only way i see it being this is if he still has a cold sore, and it continues to inflam the infection, im sure it isnt this i just wanted to let you know that it is a possibility, are the bumps you have extremly painful, or developed into sores at any point? i think it was very smart of you to make an appointment,

another posibility is that you had some sort of reaction to something, i had a similar experience as this from monistat 1, but it only lasted for 2 weeks, hope you get this figured out, you must be miserable, keep us posted on how it goes
He's clean, and has no cold sores or anything... I'm pretty sure I'd know, as we've been together for three years now, and have lived together for nearly that long. I'm almost sure it must be some sort of infection or reaction to something (Although I don't know what kind of reaction it could be cause I've not changed anything I wear, or any soaps or foods.) I hope I didn't pick something up from a public restroom!

Oh, and it doesn't seem spreadable, as much contact as I've had with my fiance... Well, we sleep in the same bed, anyway, so I figured if he hadn't shown any symptoms yet, he probably wouldn't. It's been about 4 months total now, I think. It just seemed to spread to my left underarm which was weird. That part is getting better tho.

To answer the question, yes, the bumps are rather painful, and except for two or three loners around the outside of my labia... where my thighs meet the groin area... which are red, most stay skin colored, with the skin around it being red, and even peeling at times... all the way back to that skin area between the anal area and the genital area. Which is why I've had to go back to using vagicaine today... I know it says not to use it for more than 5 days, but I just can't help it, the pain is nearly unbearable. And desitin is just too messy.

I went without underwear for the past week to see if it might've been a reaction to the elastic or something causing it, but there's not been much difference.

I wouldn't say they are clumping together, as much as they seem just naturally really close to each other...  they don't seem filled with pus or anything, either.

I really appreciate the kindness, and yes, as soon as I hear from the doctor, I'll post a message letting everyone know what the diagnosis is, for future reference.
well im stumped, im praying that your pain gets better! hopefully its not serious and your doctor can give you something to clear it up quickly

good luck again
i know this is really gross to think about but it might be scabies... they come up are red bumps that it and get irritated and will flake away skin if scratched. they will speard sometimes quickly and sometimes very slowly taking up to 6 wks to even see a symptom somehwere else on you or on your partner. if that is what you have then you will get a one time treatment from your dac and your partner will need too even if he has no symptoms. give your sheets a good cleaning and dust and clean your house very well. i hope this helped but the treament is just a one dose hair and body shampoo so it would help put a stop to the pain and itching and cure it for good! good luck and hope this helped!!
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I went to the emergency room, hoping they could give me something to tide me over til I could reach my gyno... and surprise, surprise, I had a yeast infection... a pretty bad one due to diabetes. Yep, they diagnosed me with diabetes on the spot. Blood sugar was 346!!! The sugar in my urine was off the scale, highest reading possible was 1000, and thats what it registered, might've been even higher. So that explained the weird rash. The sugar in my urine was eating up my skin!

I'll manage... going to my regular dr Tuesday, and I have some prescriptions and stuff to help til then.

But wanted to update for all of you, like I promised... a word of warning: got a strange rash you can't explain? Get tested for diabetes!

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice... (I am relieved it wasn't anything serious like and std or anything! Diabetes can be managed.)