Sudden Weight Gain but Not Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-292 comments:
i am too going thru the exact same things i am 26 n just came back from my endo doctor,she diognosed me with pcos poly cystic ovary syndrome n perscribed me with metformin a diabetic medication even thou i do not have diebeties. i am not relieved at this i honestly feel like a ginea pig cz this medication doesnt make sense to me at all...if i c changes i will let u know as well
I left a comment here in November, and unfortunately, I still don't know what's wrong with me.  In early October I weighed 135 pounds, my normal weight for 20 years.  Now I'm just shy of 190.  My face, neck, arms and lower legs haven't changed a bit.  But my hips, thighs and most especially my breasts and abdomen are absolutely huge.  I can't stand to look at myself anymore.  It looks as though someone took my head and neck and put them on someone else's body.  I have absolutely no appetite, and have eaten so little in the past few months, I'm surprised I can function at all.  The most I eat anymore is a bowl of oatmeal a day, and sometimes every other day.  I'm going for a pretty extensive blood test today.  Then to my doctor next friday for the results.  I hope I learn something...
I have been on meds for a while and recently divorced.  I have gained weight in the abdomen and I've been trying to lose weight for 3 years.  I am happier with life and rely on God for the things I wrestled with in my mind.  Until the weight comes off--let's have peace of mind!
Was my diagnosis however im experiencing cravings,backpain,swelled legs nexhaustion they said i had a huge1 n need hysterectomy at age 32 i had tubes tied at 21 due to medical problems my 2children inherrited they said i was ok to be on counmadin during pregnancy. They also okayed me second birth to breastfeed that child has moyamoya disease n had a stroke at 10 n brainsurgery n the first child has slight dwarfism features small hands n feet and elf ears lol seriously n now heart issues. Go for 5 opinions before you decide anything.one dr said just ovarian cysts i had all my life yet a few were dead fetuses i thank god for my girls n cherish them but the dangerous life ive been lead to live from drs diagnosises is devistating.3rd dr is wortied of etopic pregnancy n wants to evaluate me with a team.
You really got to research firsr n plenty blood tests also go see five drs n combinethere theories at end together have meeting with all drs all tests n swe final conclusion...
wow this is crazy cause i am 42 years old and my whole life I've been a twiggy actually that was my name besides toothpick and bones among others,so to gain this much weight and have weard cramps, i also had a tubal ligation 9 years ago my daughter is 9, my periods are more painful than normal,and i have lost all of my desire to have intercourse. i am also kinda depressed lately also, i went to the doctor and they took some blood, i have to get a scope done and they want me to have a sonogram, i just dont know what the heck is going on. I'll keep you informed, from darla
I have these exact symptoms, and have since Oct. 2010, when I had the Mirena IUD inserted. I've always been underweight, but immediately started to gain after that, even though my eating/exercise habits were the same. I went from 108 lbs to 126 in three months! I literally looked pregnant, with all of the weight in my abdomen, hips, buttocks and upper thighs. In two weeks, I could no longer fit into my favorite jeans, as I couldn't pull them on past my thighs. I went to my doctor twice, complaining about the Mirena and the weight gain. He insisted that it wasn't the IUD, that I HAD to be eating more than usual...which I found both dismissive and insulting.

When I finally had the Mirena removed in March 2011, I looked at least seven months pregnant. I guess I stupidly expected my body to go back to normal within a few months. WRONG. I've lost maybe five pounds, but still have the mortifying bloated stomach. I'm also tired all the time, no matter how much I sleep, sometimes 3-hour afternoon naps included. I'm depressed (who wouldn't be?), freaked out and an emotional basket case. No matter how little I eat, my stomach bloats and swells, and is just generally uncomfortable. Normally you're not really aware of your stomach as you go about your day, but I'm ALWAYS aware of mine; it causes me so much discomfort and misery. I've researched PCOS and Cushing's Disease, and don't have those symptoms. I've had my thyroid and iron levels checked; everything normal. I've tried Colon Cleanses, which, as someone posted earlier, help a little, but only temporarily. I don't know what else to do. I'm tired and too poor to see doctor after doctor, who dismiss me, as if I'm just being hysterical over gaining a little weight.

I found this site in my internet travels:

http://www.candidafree.net/

I have so many of the symptoms listed, I think I'm going to buy some of that Threelac stuff and see if it doesn't help. I'm desperate to feel like a human being again.
I have exactly the same symptoms as everyone here. Exhaustion, mood swings, crying for no reason, bloating, constipation, and a 15 pound weight gain in the past 3 weeks despite jogging 3 miles a day and eating a healthy diet. The symptom list is much longer, but I am trying to get to the point of my post.

I hope everyone takes the time to read the whole post.

I am self employed, and run a VERY busy bath and beauty internet business. I am to the point where I need to hire someone to help me, but I have always been afraid that someone else will not put their heart and soul into it like I do. Therefore, I work 12 to 14 hour days. I deal with rude customers on a constant basis, which causes a huge amount of stress.

I also take care of 3 dogs, a cat , a snake and a very energetic 2 year old son. I receive no help from my husband, so everything falls on me. I cook, clean, run errands, pay the bills, take care of the animals, take care of my son and run my business. I design my own website, newsletters and develop my own products. 24 hours a day is not enough.

I drink roughly 2 to 3 POTS of coffee a day to keep me going. In addition to the coffee, I rely on caffeine pills and energy drinks. At the end of the day, I am exhausted, but cannot sleep.

I am 33 years old, and got married when I was 18. I was married for 13 years to an abusive alcoholic. I was afraid of him and was constantly stressed. I stayed because I loved his family. My own family had nothing to do with me. My own mother told me she hated me, and I never saw my father. I cried constantly.

After my husband at the time had gotten drunk and broken my hand by slamming it in a door, I finally broke away and left. I was homeless and had no where to go. I was finally allowed to stay in a utility room at my mother's home, but I was quickly turned into her housekeeper.

At the divorce settlement, my ex was awarded the house, all of the cars, and granted both bank accounts. I had no home, car or money. He had caused massive problems at my work, so I had also lost my job. I had no money to renew my nursing license, so it expired, and all of my schooling went to waste.

A year later (I'm skipping  few parts here), I invited my boyfriend to move in with me. We got an apartment, and I finally got a job at a collection agency. Shortly after, I was pregnant. It could not have happened at a worse time. I was so stressed that I cried constantly at work, and I got fired.

I didn't know what to do. I felt that my world was ending. My boyfriend refused to find a job. He himself was battling a very deep depression. I wanted to help him, but couldn't even help myself.

I finally found a job as a home health aide because of my medical back ground. This meant I had to live with a paralyzed woman who was battling cancer for 5 nights and 6 days a week. I was paid $250 a week. I stayed with her for quite a while. I slept 4 hours a night. It was the hardest health care job I had ever had.

Meanwhile, I found out that the whole time I was doing this, my boyfriend was at home talking to several other females, telling them he loved them and lying about living with me.

I was on the brink of suicide at this point.

Despite the extreme stress, I had a beautiful, healthy baby boy. I had never seen anything so perfect. What was supposed to be a joyful day turned into a disaster when my mother showed up at the hospital and caused a huge scene, calling my baby a '*******'. The staff had to escort her away.

It was only 2 weeks after I gave birth that a old time friend from the past contacted me and offered me a job as the Resident Care Coordinator at a very busy alzheimers facility. The job would be high stress, but I needed money to support my family. I worked 16 hour days for close to a year. Finally, I was so fatigued, I collapsed at work and was taken to a hospital.

The doctor told me I was completely worn out. They told me to either quit my job, or be hospitalized. I quit.

I followed my dream of starting a business, and it really took off, but the stress was still there. My boyfriend (now husband) got a job, but now he refuses to lift a finger to do anything around the house.

The point of me telling you all of this is, from a long time ago, I was battling stressful situations. I always had a hard time keeping weight off. I felt as if I had a constant sore throat. The weight steadily came on and would not budge. This past year, when my stress levels were at their highest, the weight piled on so quickly it was scary.

I was determine to find a cure for what I was experiencing. I started taking courses to become a holistic healer. I have found that adrenal fatigue was the cause of all of my symptoms. The medical community does not recognize this as a disorder, therefore it goes undiagnosed. The only time they will recognize adrenal fatigue is when it is severe enough to be labeled as Addison's Disease. All lab results will come back normal, but the fact is, the person suffering the symptoms is not normal. They are sick.

The symptoms are everything that everyone has been speaking about in previous posts. Adrenal fatigue can cause a gluten sensitivity, which leads to rapid weight gain. Especially in the stomach area.

I have been following a supplement regime, along with a gluten free diet, and my symptoms were gone! Not overnight, but they left!

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I thought that if I went over everything, someone could read over it and relate in some way or another.

I can post my exact supplement regime and diet if anyone is interested.

I have been suffering similar symptoms for nearly 5 years now, the past year I have been unable to work due to pain that can be so bad I sit in a bath you could make tea in just crying. I have had to send my children to live with their father because I am no longer able to take care of them since I collapsed on the way to school. I have seen a gynocoligyst for 3 years and nothing found, the latest is a surgeon who has this idea it's all in my head, but to shut me up gave me a sigmoidoscopy. Nothing found. I rarely leave the house anymore because I'm so sick of people patting my stomach saying not long now eh! Because its gotten so bad I look like I'm 9mths pregnant. When I do venture out I have one pair of trousers that I can wear, it's embarrassing. I am a size 12 woman with a size 18 stomach, 36 and at the point of giving up.
I'm going through the same thing as well. I'm 41 yrs old and went from 103 lbs to 153 I'm about four months!
My friends keep insisting Im pregnate, I'm positive I'm not and those comments do not make me feel any better.
My face is round and swollen and doesn't even resemble me any more!
It's made me tired, depressed and now I'm drinking a bottle of vodka every day which is certainly adding to my problem!
That didn't get me here, but I'm either going to get drunk or cry about it all day!
I'm going to the doctor on Monday hopefully there's a pill for this!
Thanks Duckling1979, I can relate to your post. I'm really happy that you are getting better now! I'm 42 years old and have been suffering same symptoms as everyone else on here with weight gain being the main area of concern. I've gained more than 3 stone. Been back & forth to doctor for about 7 years but she just thinks I'm hypochondriac or thinks I'm lying about how healthy I eat. My TSH is now at 4.0 but she won't trial me on any meds as TSH not high enough. For many years I've also had a lot of stress so have considered I could have adrenal fatigue (which can affect thyroid) I've also in the past abused caffeine/diet pills etc. I've experimented with different herbs for adrenal fatigue but so far no help and the weight just keeps piling on. Things are so bad now that I only leave the house to go to work, I just want to hide away. Please could you post your regime of diet and supplements? Thank you.
DwarfBread everything you have mention I am going through the exact same thing.   We are the same age and I too was on Depo for a long time.  I am putting on 5 to 10 pounds every few months.  I am very fustrated as well because every physician I've seen can not tell me what is going on.   I was told that my Vit. D level was very low so I'm taking supplements and my cholester. was a little elevated.  I saw an Endo. yesterday and his suggestion to me was that there was no explaination and that I need to consider to have surgery.  I want answers...is this a result of being on Depo?  I don't know, but each day my body is getting heavier, slowly dying and I am in constant pain.  The only difference in the symptoms you listed than what I'm experiencing is that when I stand I have so much pain in my heels I can not walk right away.  I have to stand for about 2 min. before attempting to take the first step.  I have sever migraines as well.  Like you, all of my test results (thyrod, blood pressure, diabet. etc.) have come back negative, but I know that something is not right.    Please keep me informed.  I would like to keep in touch.   --aterib
I left for a Las Vegas vacation on 2/21/12; and 9 days later, could not fit into my clothes.  I went to get a massage at the New York New York casino and the woman at the desk asked how far along I was.  I got home on 3/4 and today is 3/8 and I have only left my room to go to the bathroom.  Oh, and have taken 2 pregnancy tests.  Didn't eat 3/4, 3/5, 3/6 but a little on 3/7; nothing today (3/8).  It hurts to breathe; hurts to get out of bed; I feel like I am 100 years old (I am 48).  Was a size 10 on 2/21/12 but I don't even think a 14 would fit.  Please help!!!
I am having the same problem. My Dr. says oh just eat less and excersice! I am so sick of hearing it! I know that is not the problem. I weigh more now then when I was pregnant. I just keep hearing well all your test are coming back normal. I am sick of it. I cant even physically eat too mush because I have no appetite and am always nauseous.
I am having the same problem I am 36 almost 37 and it started about 1 or 2 years ago.
Witch at your doctors to test far more thyroid hormones than just tsh. it does not always properly indicate that your thyroid is underactive. I went through this as a hyperactive thyroid individual who about died cause dumb docs testes only tsh and it was normal. Now I am doing same thing as you and my tsh is low and my t4 is low so my doc says he is confused. I want to go to an endocrindologist. I hope this helps
I would love to hear what your supplement and diet is...i'm 19 and I've been going through this exact thing since i was about 16. I realize that's only 3 years, but it's 3 years too many. Just as everyone else says, the doctors, as well as everyone else but my parents, think i'm a hypochondriac. I'm not. And everyone seems to believe that "getting more sleep, drinking more water, and taking advil" is going to fix it. Or that I "haven't realized how many calories you can consume really quickly" or  "women are more susceptible to gaining weight." While this is all incredibly all too intriguing (or as if I didn't already know that...duhh), i know my body and i know that something is off. A normal person shouldn't feel like this. And it's good to know that i'm not the only one, but it's incredibly discomforting to hear that not one person has gotten help from a doctor. I don't know if doctor's just believe there isn't a problem, or feel that there's no answer? Regardless, i'm tired of nobody taking it seriously and not being of any help. At this point i'm ready to try whatever. So any help that anyone can give me would be wonderful.
I am a man, and I am as frustrated as you all about my weight.  I quit smoking 2 years ago.  Then I was 6'2" and 175 lb.  I am now 206 lbs.  My stomach is so swollen I look like I could be 7 months pregnant.  My calf muscles should be a little jiggly.  They are sometimes hard as a rock. I began to analyze this problem myself.  Doctors don't know.  When I go to work (During the winter) I drink five 16 oz cups of hot chocolate I also drank water fro water fountains at work.  I felt as if I was urinating adequately.  That was why I just couldn't figure this out.  I then took a 1/2 gal jug to work and everytime i had to pee I did it in this jug.  when I got home I had peed 17 oz.  This was fro 5am to 3pm.  FLUID RETENTION.  I took a few of my wifes fluit pills (one a day for 3 days.  I felt good.  I lost 6.2 lbs. My waistline went down 1.5 inches.  The redness on my legs disappeared.  I have now made an appointment with my doctor.  I will get my own fluid pills and we will see. hope this helps someone!!!!!!!
Okay, an brief update (still more tests to go )

After several more tests they have finally decided it IS thyroid and that I am not converting T4 to T3. However most of this was decided by a naturopath NOT the endocrinologist.

My vitamin D was still not rising fast enough so now I am on 50,000 D2 a week and 2.000 D3 a day.

The endo was frankly useless - she prescirbed me 100 Synthroid right off the bat and never changed the dose despite my T3 levels still dropping. Hence the naturopath now has me on Armour (T4 & T3). I have been on that for about 2 weeks (Yes it really has taken this long since my first post)

Noone has any answers for the pain. It seemed to get better for a short while but now it is back. Everything aches constantly, no idea what to do. Endo told me to get checked for fibromyalgia but it's not that.

As for the thyroid issues, it seems every country is undecided on the 'danger' levels for the tests. Over in Europe it's as low as 2 - in Canada it's 5.5. Worth REALLY nagging your doctors for repeated tests. I was getting tested every 6 months and only after 4 tests of a slow but steady increase did they decide it was an issue.

I am due more tests in around 2 months to see if these new meds are doing anything. Will update again after that.
As for any connection to the depo I have not managed to find any doctor of any speciality willing to admit it might have uch dire consequences, although I have had a few shudder and say to stay well clear of it!
I am a 24 year old female, and I am struggling to write this without getting upset. I have worked out at the gym for about 6 years now, fitting in at least 40 minutes of cardio per day. I have experienced extreme fluctuations in my weight. I am 5'9. Last July, I weighed 143 lbs. On December 28th, I weighed 157. Four months later, I weight 183 lbs. I work out every day, and I would never think to eat more than 1600 calories, most days I eat 1200. I track my food intake on livestrong.com. I have noticed that most of my weight gain is in my upper thighs. I am now starting to notice it in my midsection. I have never felt so horrible in my life. I've experienced two stress fractures in each foot in the past few months from overuse. I feel like if I am getting overuse injuries from the intense cardio that I am doing, this weight gain is just insane. Can someone please help me?
Hi, Ladies!!!
OMG!!! Your posts make me (and my boyfriend) know that we’re not alone in this – thank you!!!! I’ve been going through this rapid weight gain stuff for 3 years (I’m 52 now). I had my first endocrinologist for nearly 20 years, until seeing him became a waste of time and money; he basically made a comment to my boyfriend that I “must be cheating on the side.” Have you heard that one before? Angers me – but I’m learning to immediately toss those “people” into the “closed-minded” category. I won’t go through my experiences these past 3 years, just my more recent ones; suffice to say that I’ve done the 5 pounds overnight, 16 pounds in 3.5 days and 12 pounds in 48 hours. I feel “our” collective pain.

Watching this weight gain continue out of control and seemingly for no reason, I researched allergy/immunology specialists and found a great guy, who I started seeing last October. I’ve been through rounds of blood and scratch allergy tests for food and drugs, but nothing correlates to the rapid weight gain. In the meantime, he’s continuing to treat me for allergies (getting me off Zyrtec-D, which he felt was very bad for me over the longer term) and asthma that’s been off the charts.

He recommended me to a colleague of his, my 2nd endocrinologist. I’m currently working with him on trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack. We know the weight I’m gaining is mostly water. He’s trying me on a low dose of Armour thyroid to see if that will have any impact (thyroid was a bit low; had Graves in the 1990s). I do have multiple nodules on my thyroid, which I recently had aspirated/tested (all benign). Also, I keep a daily journal of everything I drink and eat, how much/well I sleep, exercise, and overall feeling for the day and anything else of importance to track (something really good to do to chart all of these factors for any possible patterns!!!).

Among the first rounds of tests, he ordered abdominal and pelvic ultrasounds – abdominal came back normal, pelvic didn’t. He was looking to rule out ovarian cancer (they’re learning that rapid weight gain can be an early indicator). Well, we ruled out that and found other stuff, including a large polyp and something funky going on inside my uterus; ovaries are both great. Short story: had surgery in mid-March to remove the polyp and also determined that I have endometrial hyperplasia; this was surgically taken care of; now I wait for 6 months to see if the condition remains or if the surgery completely took care of it. This is potentially a precursor to uterine cancer, which my mother had (and survived!). Without that test, we wouldn’t have had reason to go looking for anything, so I’m very grateful we did and found it when we did!

I’m in the process of having the 24-hour urine tests for creatinine, cortisol, potassium and aldosterone analyzed, along with more blood tests (more thyroid and metabolism panel). I’ll see my doctor in the next few weeks. Depending on the outcome of those tests, I will discuss with him going on diuretics and potassium for a period of time (6 months?, whatever is needed) to see if that will drain out the excess fluid in my body, which yes, just as with most of you, is all in my stomach (on a good day, I only look 7 months pregnant). I can’t tell you how many times me (and my boyfriend) have been congratulated.

I’ll post again after my tests – I think we all need to do this to learn from each other. Oh, one other thing – this weight gain puts pressure on my diaphragm and stomach, causing me to eat even less than I would because I always feel full; also puts pressure on my breathing, especially when I bend over. I’m 5’4” and currently weigh about 175 lbs. Keep posting!!!
Hi!
Don't get stuck on the age-old thinking that weight gain has to be from overeating and not enough exercise. I've been there. Doesn't matter how little I eat or how much I work out -- the weight gain continues. So don't add insult to injury by becoming obsessive about working out. A normal workout, cardio and weights/weight-bearing, is good. I also tried yoga --- reconstructive and yin yogas, not power yoga. I found these to help me with my stress levels, which are huge.

If you're eating healthy (especially with fresh greens and other veggies), taking vitamin supplements and exercising regularly (but not outrageously), that's all you can do in this regard. It's worth getting your endocrine system checked out, not just your thyroid. Sometimes this can also stem from the adrenal glands, as well as any other glands.
I'm 22 years old and also gaining weight. I'm so upset that I don't get support from family. I don't need them constantly telling me that my weight gain is due to lack of exercise and poor eating habits when there is nothing wrong with the way I live my life. There could be something seriously wrong with me behind all this weight gain but they don't seem to care.
on jan 30, 2012 i was 170 i just weighted my self a couple weeks ago because i couldnt fit my clothes any more! now im 215!!!. This is crazy thats a 45 lb gain 30 days. the only thing i have done differnt i drink more coffee! I do have a stessfull job too. I'm thinking of trying  juice fast to reverse this.
my weight gain is almost all in my stomach looks like a beer belly now all distended and folds over the top of my pants! i wake up swollen hands and feet , tired etc. please girls update when you get a result or try something new.
stats: age 42 Height 5'4
I will be trying the following:
-getting blood work after a fast
-also trying to drink 32oz or more of pure water a day.
-wondering if i should stay away from plastic bottles etc as well, as it can mimic estrogen.
-might try smoothies /fruit
-calorie counting/increased exercise.
I know a lot of time has gone by since most of these posts were made but I have exactly the same thing going on and was hoping maybe somebody has found out the cause. I have had a swollen stomach (looks like I'm six months pregnant), my feet and ankles and hands swell up, pain if I press on areas, and have had a couple sharps pains there also. I get SUPER bad acid indigestion; the list goes on and on. I HAAATE feeling so freakin fat and unable to fit into anything!!! I hope you all have gotten this thing figured out and feel great now! I'd appreciate any feedback. I have had the lab work and ultrasounds with no answers. It is just so frustrating!
My sister finally found the answer to this problem after 3 years. Please visit the hormones specialist as soon as possible to check if u have excessive cortisol (not cortisone) hormones ASAP. Too much of cortisol hormones will result in all the side effects mentioned above and may also result in cancer and tumor. Hope all get well soon. My sister will be going for further tests to find out the root cause of the increase in this hormones, hope she will be able to be back to normal soon :D
Hi..Im not sure if you'll read this as its almost July, but i wish i could hold you & just hug you for a few minutes. im SO sorry you've had to go thru so much...you're a very strong woman. god bless you!
LIke everyone else I have gained weight too fast. I weighted around 140 last week and no I am 164. Yeah I know Depressing. I went to the emergency room the last time this happened (May 2012) They tested me and just gave me some pills to get rid of water weight. Yeah right, that didn't work.
Question: Has anyone fasted recently? Maybe before the weight gain?
I am 21 years old. 5'4" Active duty Marine. I have broad shoulders and this built physique. One look at me and you think "she'll break me in half". Yet I have this same exact issue. I have to walk around every single day sucking my belly in. I workout like a madwoman. We train constantly. I follow the Paleo-diet like religion. And yet I have never been able to get rid of my stomach. I've had since I was a kid, even after puberty. Except now it's about 5 times the size and when you poke it...it's like you're poking a basketball because it's so hard. Everytime I do full body workout (and I like to completely slay myself on these) my whole entire body would be completely sore including my abs. I am now 187 pounds. At first glance you would think that I'm this female gym rat because I'm so built but little does anyone know I have a 15-week pregnant belly that I have to suck in every single day (and it hurts like hell when I relax). My career can end if anyone finds out about this and I am deathly afraid to go see our Navy doctor.
I too have MANY of the same problems that you all have posted about. Most distressing and shocking is my weight gain. I have gained about 15 pounds since March its now end of June. I started vigorously exercising in April along with eating VERY healthy. Instead of losing, I gained 10 more pounds! I have been Gluten and Dairy free for almost 3 years now. I try to eat Paleo as much as possible. Pretty much the only grain I eat is rice, some quinoa and very little of that.

I gained a lot with my pregnancies and had lost 55 pounds, only to gain 20 of that back. Last fall I had and endo/colonoscopy as I was very sick. I had ulcers in my stomach.
I suffer from intense anxiety/panic attacks and no medicine has helped. Some depression, really bad fatigue and irritability. PMS gets worse and worse I am like a crazy person! I have had internal and external ultrasounds and ovaries and uterus seem fine. I had the Mirena for a year and a half and had it taken out. I did feel somewhat better, now really bad again.
I had most symptoms of low thyroid, tests came back normal.
I have many symptoms of Cushings, and sounds like a lot of you guys do as well. I have a referral in to an endocrinologist so I will see what they say.
CANDIDA!!! Go research it. Yeast can wreak havoc with our systems and medical doctors do not really help with this. http://www.candidafree.net/index.htm  here is an awesome website about that.

Also when you do the thyroid tests, make sure they do the entire panel NOT just TSH. Your T4 and T3 levels can be off even if your TSH is not.
I also am going to see a Naturopathic doctor. I have used natural alternatives in the past along with Medical docs.

I feel so disgusting!! More than half my closet no longer fits, and weight gain primarily in my stomach, love handles, butt and thighs. So depressing. I hope you all figure out what your problems are. Please post back if you do!
I forgot to add that I am only 26. And I feel like I am 50! Its not fair to anyone especially my two kids that they only have half a mom. :(
I have exactly the same problems as you and everyone else here and it's making me so depressed. I've always eaten very healthy and exercised so there has to be a reason for this massive continous weight gain. I've had so many tests: thyroid, cortisol, sugar, ultrasounds, tests for ovarian cancer, tests for heart failure (congestive heart disease can cause weight gain in stomach along with ankle swelling etc) But all tests have come back normal. Doctors are fed up of me and think that I'm some sort of hypochondriac. Anyway, I'm now researching LEAKY GUT SYNDROME. Please check it out because many of the symptoms match those that many of us on here are experiencing. There's loads of sites about this and they all have specific diet & supplement regimes to follow. I'm going to give it a try! By the way, as you have probably already guessed, it says that this is NOT a disease that is widly recognised by western doctors - surprise surprise....  
Hey everyone, you should ask your prospective medical professionals to test you for a disorder called polycystic ovarian syndrome, or pcos. It causes weight gain, hair loss, bp issues, acne, and if not treated can lead to infertility. Your body's estrogen decreases, progesterone and testosterone increase and you can get cysts on your ovaries some which may need to be treated or removed through surgery. Best wishes, I am in the same situation but also have sle lupus, type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism caused by hashimoto's thyroiditis, arthritis and stomach issues. I am normally thin and have a very hard time maintaining my weight due to stomach issues but since my 41st bday in january, I started in with new symptoms weight gain of 48 lbs in only 3 weeks. I am a former med student n remember studying an article in the new england journal of medicine on pcos and we are currently running a blood lab and have an ultrasound in the morning to confirm. This can be treated so don't be afraid to ask ;) xx
Please tell me abt your plan.
Pituitary Tumors Frequently Asked Questions

Pituitary Tumors
The UW Health Pituitary Tumor Clinic in Madison, Wisconsin offers patients advanced techniques in diagnosis, planning and treatment for pituitary tumors.

Use the questions below to learn more about pituitary tumors.

What is the pituitary?

The pituitary is a small organ about the size of a pea in the center of the brain just above the back of the nose. This gland is also referred to as the "master gland" because it controls other glands in the body. The pituitary gland is made up of two different parts. The front part secretes hormones which regulate other glands, and the back part secretes hormones which control urination and induce labor. Hormones are substances secreted by a gland and exercising action somewhere else on the body.

What is a pituitary tumor?

A pituitary tumor is a growth that is located in the pituitary gland and it is made up of abnormal pituitary cells. Pituitary tumors are almost always benign (non-cancerous). Pituitary tumors may or may not secrete hormones.

Can you see or feel a pituitary tumor?

No, you cannot see or feel a pituitary tumor. Pituitary tumors are located within the base of the skull and sometimes can extend into the surrounding structures. Many pituitary tumors press against the optic nerves, causing vision problems.

What are possible pituitary tumor symptoms?

Below you will find a list of possible symptoms for specific kinds of pituitary tumors. Of course, there are other causes for each symptom, so please consult your physician if you have any of these.
For prolactinoma pituitary tumors (and nonfunctioning pituitary adenoma):
Infertility
Amenorrhea (absence of menses or menstrual periods)
Oligomenorrhea (irregular/sparse menstruation)
Decreased libido (interest in sex)
Galactorrhea (breast milk production/leakage/nipple discharge)
Impotence
Vaginal dryness (painful intercourse)
Visual loss
For acromegaly pituitary tumors (growth hormone secreting adenoma):
Sleep apnea
Hand, foot, face or tongue growth or enlargement, swelling (soft tissue enlargement)
Coarsening of facial features
Change in ring or shoe size
Spreading teeth, bite difficulties (overbite/underbite)
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Joint and bone aches, pains and tenderness (including foot and tooth pain)
Gigantism
Excessive sweating
Oily skin
Impotence
For Cushing's disease (ACTH secreting adenoma):
Fat build-up in the face (round or moon face), back (characteristically the upper back causing a so-called buffalo hump) and chest, while the arms and legs become relatively thin
Hyperglycemia/diabetes (too much sugar in the blood)
Weak and fragile muscles and bones
Backache
Flushed (red) face
Thin skin
Increased bruising or bruisability
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Weight gain
Skin striae (stretch marks)
Mood swings
Excess hair growth
Osteoporosis rib and vertebral compression fractures
For all pituitary tumors and craniopharyngiomas:
Headache
Decreased libido (interest/desire in sex)
Menstrual disorders
Cold intolerance
Excessive perspiration (sweating)
Decreased appetite
Vision impairment, blurriness, blindness (particularly poor peripheral vision)
Excessive thirst and frequent urination
Growth failure
Delayed or premature puberty
Nausea
Dry skin
Constipation
Fatigue
Low or high blood pressure
Frequent urination (diabetes insipidus)
Cushing’s disease

Pituitary Cushing's disease
Last reviewed: December 11, 2011.

Cushing’s disease is a condition in which the pituitary gland releases too much adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). The pituitary gland is an organ of the endocrine system.

Cushing's disease is a form of Cushing syndrome.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Cushing's disease is caused by a tumor or excess growth (hyperplasia) of the pituitary gland. This gland is located at the base of the brain.

People with Cushing's disease have too much ACTH. ACTH stimulates the production and release of cortisol, a stress hormone. Too much ACTH means too much cortisol.

Cortisol is normally released during stressful situations. It controls the body's use of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins and also helps reduce the immune system's response to swelling (inflammation).

Symptoms

Symptoms usually include:

Upper body obesity (above the waist) and thin arms and legs

Round, red, full face (moon face)

Slow growth rate in children

Skin changes that are often seen:

Acne or skin infections

Purple marks (1/2 inch or more wide), called striae, on the skin of the abdomen, thighs, and breasts

Thin skin with easy bruising

Muscle and bone changes include:

Backache, which occurs with routine activities

Bone pain or tenderness

Collection of fat between the shoulders (buffalo hump)

Thinning of the bones, which leads to rib and spine fractures

Weak muscles

Women often have:

Excess hair growth on the face, neck, chest, abdomen, and thighs

Menstrual cycle that becomes irregular or stops

Men may have:

Decreased or no desire for sex

Impotence

Other symptoms that may occur include:

Mental changes, such as depression, anxiety, or changes in behavior

Fatigue

Headache

Increased thirst and urination

Signs and tests

Tests are done to confirm there is too much cortisol in the body, then to determine the cause.

These tests confirm too much cortisol:

24-hour urine cortisol

Dexamethasone suppression test (low dose)

These tests determine cause:

Blood ACTH level

Brain MRI

Corticotropin-releasing hormone test, which acts on the pituitary gland to cause the release of ACTH

Dexamethasone suppression test (high dose)

Petrosal sinus sampling - measures ACTH levels in the veins that drain the pituitary gland

Treatment

Treatment involves surgery to remove the pituitary tumor, if possible. After surgery, the pituitary may slowly start to work again and return to normal.

During the recovery process, you may need cortisol replacement treatments. Radiation treatment of the pituitary gland may also be used.

If the tumor does not respond to surgery or radiation, you may get medications to stop your body from making cortisol.
Because every person exhibits celiac disease symptoms differently, it's also a very difficult condition for doctors to diagnose correctly. In fact, although celiac disease awareness and diagnosis rates appear to be improving, in years past the typical American celiac patient could go for up to ten years without a diagnosis, in some cases despite debilitating symptoms.

Of course, keep in mind that all of these potential celiac disease symptoms can be caused by other medical conditions, possibly including non-celiac gluten sensitivity, which is thought to be a separate condition. That's another major reason this diagnosis is so difficult to make. The only way you can tell for certain that you have celiac disease is to have an intestinal biopsy that shows villous atrophy.

Once you're diagnosed with celiac, it's for life. To avert long-term complications, which can include certain cancers, you must follow a strict gluten-free diet. However, the good news is that following a strict gluten-free diet generally resolves most or all of your symptoms.

In fact, while you'd expect the diet to resolve your gastrointestinal symptoms -- and in most cases it will -- it's actually very common for you to experience marked improvement in other, minor ailments you never would have imagined were related to celiac disease.

Here's a breakdown of celiac disease symptoms and related conditions, categorized by the body system they affect.

Gastrointestinal Symptoms of Celiac Disease

Not everyone who's diagnosed with celiac disease experiences gastrointestinal symptoms, but many do. For example, one study found such symptoms in about three-quarters of people with new diagnoses.

Chronic diarrhea is one hallmark symptom of celiac disease, and appears to affect half or more of those newly diagnosed. Frequently, the diarrhea is watery, smelly and voluminous, and floats rather than sinking.

However, a significant minority of people with celiac disease tend to have constipation rather than diarrhea, and some alternate between the two.

In addition, other gastrointestinal symptoms can appear. For example, flatulence and excessive gas is common, as is abdominal bloating (many people describe themselves as looking "six months pregnant"). It's also common to have abdominal pain, which can be severe at times.

Additional gastrointestinal symptoms of celiac disease include heartburn and reflux (potentially with a diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease), nausea and vomiting, and lactose intolerance. Undiagnosed celiacs sometimes develop pancreatitis or gallbladder disease.

In addition, not everyone loses weight as an undiagnosed celiac. In fact, many people find they gain weight prior to diagnosis. Some people report being absolutely unable to shed excess pounds, no matter how much they diet and exercise. In my experience of corresponding with readers and others, weight gain or being overweight frequently is coupled with constipation as the primary gastrointestinal symptom.

I would of never thought I had this, but after 11 months of severe weight gain, bloating, fatigue, joint pain , costipation occasional diareah and numerous other symptoms and going to the ER and doctor office on a regular basis
I had a CREEPY breakthrough!  Even though I have never left the country some how I ended up with some sort of parasite......just a horrible thought but a huge relief knowing it can be treated with medication!

Symptoms of Parasitic Infections

Human parasites

Allergies | Anaemia | Bloating | Chronic fatigue | Constipation | Depressed immune function | Diarrhea | Excessive hunger | Flu symptoms | Gas | Grinding teeth at night | Hives | Irritable bowel syndrome | Joint and Muscle aches&pains | Reddened eyes | Sleep disturbances | Weight gain | Weight loss
Common Symptoms
of Parasites in Humans

Constipation: Some worms, because of their shape and large size. can physically obstruct certain organs. Heavy worm infections can block the common bile duct and the intestinal tract, making elimination infrequent and difficult.

Diarrhoea: Certain parasites, primarily protozoa, produce a prostaglandin (hormonelike substances found in various human tissues) which creates a sodium and chloride loss that leads to frequent watery stools. The diarrhoea process in parasite infection is, therefore, a function of the parasite, not the body's attempt to rid itself of an infectious organism.

Gas and Bloating: Some parasites live in the upper small intestine where the inflammation they produce causes both gas and bloating. The situation can be magnified when hard-to-digest foods such as beans and raw fruits and vegetables are eaten. Persistent abdominal distention is a frequent sign of hidden invaders. These gastrointestinal symptoms can persist intermittently for many months or years if the parasites are not eliminated from the body.

Irritable bowel syndrome: Parasites can irritate inflame, coal, the intestinal cell wall, leading to a variety of gastrointestinal symptoms and malabsorption of vital nutriens, particularly fatty substances. This malabsorption leads to bulky stools and steatorrhea (excess far in feces).

Joint and muscle aches and pains: Parasites are known to migrate to encyst (become enclosed in a sac) in joint fluids, and worms can encyst in muscles. Once Ads happens, pain becomes evident and is often assumed to be caused by arthritis Joint and muscle pains and inflammation are also the result of tissue damage caused by some parasites of the body's ongoing immune response to then- presence.

Anaemia: Some varieties of intestinal worms attach themselves to the mucosal lining of the intestines and then leach nutrients from the human host. If they are present in large enough numbers, they can create enough blood loss to cause a type of iron deficiency or pernicious

Allergy: Parasites can irritate and sometimes perforate the intestinal lining, increasing bowel permeability to large undigested molecules. This can activate the body's immune response to produce increased levels of eosinophils, one type of the body's fighter cells. The eosinophils can inflame body tissue, resulting in an allergic reaction. Like allergy, parasites also trigger an increase in the production of immunoglobulin E (IgE).

Skin conditions: Intestinal worms can cause hives, rashes, weeping eczema, and other allergic-type skin reactions. Cutaneous ulcers, swellings and sores, popular lesions, and itchy dermatitis can afl result from protozoan invasion.

Granuiomas: Granulomas are tumour-like masses that encase destroyed large or parasitic eggs. They develop most often in the colon or rectal walls but can also be found in the lungs liver, peritoneum, and uterus.

Nervousness: Parasitic metabolic wastes and toxic substances can serve as irritants to the central nervous system. Restlessness and anxiety are often the result of the systemic parasite infestation. (After completing a herbal cleanse, many people swear that their persistently grouchy mates or relatives have become a lot more pleasant and patient. "The most famous tapeworm of recent years belonged to the late opera singer Maria Callas. She had a serious weight and skin problem. When the tapeworm was detected and removed, ha" weight dropped, her skin improved and her temperament mellowed," says Gittleman.)

Sleep disturbances: Multiple awakening during the night particularly between 2 and 3 AM, are possibly caused by the body's attempts to eliminate toxic wastes via the liver. According to Chinese medicine, these hours are governed by the liver. Sleep disturbances are also caused by nocturnal exits of certain parasites through the anus, creating the intense discomfort and itching.

Teeth grinding: Bruxism - abnormal grinding, clenching, and gnashing of the teeth - has been observed in cases of parasitic infection. These symptoms are most noticeable among sleeping for children. Bruxism may be a nervous response to the internal foreign irritant.

Chronic fatigue: Chronic fatigue symptoms include tiredness, flu-like complaints, apathy, depression, impaired concentration, and faulty memory. Parasites cause these physical, mental, and emotional symptoms through malnutrition resulting from malabsorption of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and especially vitamins A and B-12.

Immunie Dysfunction: Parasites depress immune system functioning by decreasing the secretion of immunoglobulin A (I&A). Their presence continuously stimulates the system response and over time can exhaust this vital defense system, leaving the body open to bacterial and viral infections.

The following conditions might also be tell-tale signs of a parasitic invasion: weight gain, excessive hunger, weight loss, bad taste in the mouth and bad breath, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, acne, migraines, and even the biggest killers: heart disease and cancer.

• Anti Parasite Cleansing Program
• The Paraway® - Anti Parasite Part of the Clearstart® Formula
I have been on the most active regimine possible for the last two years. I too have been through severe stress and beyond for the past 20 years. Thanks to a divorce and support from family and the gym I thought I made it through. I have maintained my weight for 2 years and workout regularly. Then suddenly in January my body turned on me. I lost alot of blood and finally had a blood transfusion in March and then Hysterectomy in May. I was fine and going back to the gym and toning up again when all of a sudden I felt ill, like the flu. SO I stayed out of the gym a few days. Then progressivly I got more and more tired. I wake up achy from head to toe. I have put on so much weight that nothing fits but only in my abdomen area. I hardly eat anything and drink a gallon of water a day. I cant keep my eyes open long enpough to get through jmy day. Its now effecting my job, my family and has taken away the gym and all exercise as I cant get through a routine. I was on my way to becoming a Zumba instructore and now I cant fit into my workout clothes.

Please I beg of you, please , anything that would help I will do. I have been to the doctors and gave a ton of blood. They are stumped but can see the gain in my ab. I too look pregnant but also lik eI havent slept in weeks. I need help. What did you do?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
can you please let me know what the suplement is you are taking. I have gained so much weight I cant stand it anymore I need help.
please post your regimen it could help a lot.thanks so much for sharing
Did you ever find out what was or is the cause of all these symptoms? I have all the exact same issues. I am so frustrated. People and family members comment and poke fun at me. I also don't have money to go to the doctor but when I did have medical coverage I was also dismissed and had the same test done with no explanation as to what in God's name is going on. Please share if you got a solution yet.
I am definately interested. Sorry for your circumstances and do appreciate the time you took to inform others........possibly myself. Any additional treatment knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Hi, I identify with u so much!!  I've put on 21 pounds in the last 6 weeks! I've always had a nice figure, and this weight gain is baffling and is rocking my self esteem!!  I am 42! And always been a size 8 to 10 uk! But I have suddenly ballooned up to at least 21 pounds heavier! I feeel bloated! Out of breath! Uncomfatable! Tired!! Craving sugary things!! Angry! Its not nice at all!!  I too have had an abusive relationship with men and drink!! Feel very low! When I have always felt a super sexy woman and very in control!! X
Maybe you should ask your doctor about cushings syndrome
I gained 20 lbs. in approximately 2 months.  My doctor doesn't seem concerned. I am!  After reading others posts I am more concerned.
What has happened since? My daughter (28) has just gone through a similar change.
Did you ever figure out what was causing your symptoms?  The weight gain, belly fat and the dreadful swelling for no apparent reason is making me nuts.  I cant fit into anything!
Any suggestions
I wish I could help however, I too am going through the same symptoms. I have always been between a size 2-4 yet in the past few months have grown so wide I cannot fit into my favorite dresses nor jeans that I have worn these past 4 years. I weigh more now then when I was 9 months pregnant despite my moderate and healthy eating habits and routine exercise. My friends have told me to slow down on the pizzas and bon bons which I find highly insulting and one even asked me, "Who ate my friend and where is she"? I have been to gastro intestinalogist as well as numerous others who reply with the same thing, quit eating the wrong food and get off of the couch and exercise. It's frustrating when I've always been fit.
Hello Duckling,

I am glad I took the time to read your post and thank you for writing it. I have all of these symptoms and also run a my own highly stressful business.  After struggling to find why the heck I too gained 30 lbs in 3 months, I self-diagnosed that it's Addison's.  I will continue to read the post but would like to know your alternative health regimine. Thank you for sharing your story.
Please send me your regime, I'm all about trying something!  I have to.  I am capable and have slept up to 15 hours in a day and it's not the lazy sleepy type, it's the groggy, can't keep your eyes open type.  It's very frustrating and I am very active.  I work out 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time and I've gained so much weight.  Went from 125 in Oct. to 151 in March. I eat only foods cooked at home, no take out or fast food.  All foods are not fried, small portions.... I'm just at my wit's end.  I'm only 44 years old...  thanks for your post!
OMG this is me! I thought maybe I was pregnant, even though I had ablation done 2 years ago and no periods since. Had blood work, urine tests, all negative. Went to drs today, had severe abdomen pain this morning, all the way around back. She basically wrote me off as I've gained weight (15 lbs in a year) to poor diet and lack of exercises. I know I'm menopausal, I'm 47 and I don't eat that great, but have been on a spiral of weight gain in past 2 years that is depressing me. I always feel bloated and uncomfortable, every day another pair of jeans or work pants don't fit. She prescribed me priobotics. I am going to move more, but it is so depressing to feel like I'm a big fattie and can't lose it. I try and nothing comes off, it keeps going on. I felt worse after leaving drs than before I went in.
You sound like you need a net friend let me know if I can help.
Your a nice lady.
I am 38 and have gained 10 pounds this past month.What's crazy is I started working out about the same time.I know that I have endometriosis,and possibly a tumor on my uterus-as I was told a few months ago by my gynecologist.
Ok people, I am back and finally am getting some answers!!
I went to the endocrinologist last year, and they tested thyroid, cortisol (cushings), testosterone, adrenals etc etc. NOTHING showed up. Seriously. Meanwhile, I continued to gain weight, periods got worse, mood swings horrible, I feel fat and disgusting. I have been seeing a naturopathic doc and supplements do help my anxiety, but nothing has taken it away.

I finally got fed up again and went back to the doc to see what we could do. AND they never tested my progesterone, glucose or estrogen!! I asked for the tests and HALLELUJAH I am not crazy!! I have really low progesterone levels. which causes ALL OF THESE SYMPTOMS!! Weight gain, esp around the middle, fatigue, anxiety, depression, insomnia, horrible PMS etc etc.
I bet MANY of you also have this... it is associated with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and endometriosis. It also is genetic, my mom, 2 aunts and a first cousin all have it, and I had no idea. The problem is, everyone displays different symptoms, so hard to diagnose.

You need to chart your cycle, from the first day of your period. Then get a progesterone test done on the 21st day of your cycle. That is when our progesterone levels should be highest. On a scale from 0-25 my level was at a 2!!

I am now taking progesterone cream, and while I have noticed some lessening of anxiety, not much is showing yet. The docs have informed me it takes a few months to build up in your system, and I am waiting very impatiently to feel better...

Thinking of you all, and hope my discovery helps some of you.
QueenieC
Hi all,

Long time since I last posted but I've had a particularly stressful year.

So after being prescribed the natural thyroid my levels are now great. However the excess weight has NOT gone anywhere (but I haven't gained more)

Tick one box.

Every other symptom is still here :(

I got told last year around April we were suspected to be infertile. We had started talking about formal testing as although it's suspected it's me we don't know for sure.

Then in July I tested positive. What a mind f**k that was having just resigned myself to the fact I couldn't have kids.

2 months later I miscarried, no idea why. It was also a missed miscarriage so they had to induce it. During the ultrasound the technician asked me if I had ever had surgery on my ovaries which was kind of a weird question but due to the fact we were in the middle of being told we'd lost our baby I didn't ask more, and she also never reported anything odd on the reports.

Low progesterone is a big cause of early miscarriage so I was put on prometrium 100mg (low maintenance dose). I have been on that for about 6 months now, but then things started to get weird again. For a couple of cycles I started to feel weird about 2 weeks into my cycle, sore boobs, cramps etc, which would continue right upto AF starting. I was told to take a break from the prometrium, which I just did this last cycle, and things are even weirder this cycle.

I had a 3 day AF not a 5-6 day one, which finished 3 days ago, but I still have cramps. I feel like I am on AF but not bleeding.

I have an appointment with my naturopath in about an hour so will update when I get back.

So basically on top of all the symptoms I had, I now know I CAN get pregnant I just CAN'T - stresstastic times!! And of course everyone else around is having babies!
Did you find out what it was?
Has anyone ever copied all these posts and taken it in to their Dr.??
Does anyone ever wonder why so many women are feeling the same
stuff and no one ever seems to have any real answers?
I know I do.
I cant afford to see a Dr and get a gazillion tests only to find out nothing.
I know I have put on an extreme amount of weight in the last few years
and some can be chalked off to menopause but I also see other women
older than I am that are NOT fat like this.
What are they doing? Does anyone know?
I don't ever ask an elderly lady why she is still thin and/or what she did to
maintain it ,,, nor do I ask them why or when they started putting on weight.
My boyfriends older sister commented to me one time , '' you got that menopause gut ''.
Ok well WTF is that exactly and what can be done about it.?!!
My whole life I weighed between 115 & 120 never having to exercise at all unless I wanted to,,,
then all of sudden a few years ago I start putting on weight and look like I'm 9 months pregnant,
and just as uncomfortable if not worse.!
It ***** and someone somewhere should be able to get some real answers without having to
go bankrupt...
We deserve some answers. We are NOT ALL crazy here and this thread
has been going on now for quite some time with more and more women
dealing with practically the same issues as when it first started out.
I don't get it.
Plus,, any time I try to diet,, It just seems like I add on more weight so I stopped even trying.
There is some common denominator here that were missing, OR that Dr's are missing or something.
It cant be just some huge coincidence that so many women are feeling the
same way with nearly the same symptoms each time.
Yet no real answers....
Have the same thing!, about 2 stone over the last 6 months, no change in eating pattern or anything else! It's horrid I feel heavy and stressed as I've tried everything to lose this weight and it won't go!, I'm 39 years old and weigh now what I weighed when last pregnant :(
I am a 42 year old mother of 5, in my last three pregnancies I had gestational diabetes.  Although, I wasn't properly tested in two of the pregnancies for it, so it went undetected.  I went from being 104 pounds prior to my third pregnancy to 173 pounds by the time I delivered.  I shot to that weight in the last two pregnancies.  After my 5th child was born, I went in to have a partial vaginal hysterectomy. I had a 6 pound fibroid tumor in my uterus, that the Dr. removed.  Amazing.  I thought for sure I would drop a ton of weight after that.I didn't.  Instead, I held my weight at 145 pounds, I had dropped weight at one point after spending 5 dys at Disneyland walking about the park for 12 hours a day. I dropped to 137, but within a month my weight shot back up to 145.  I tried weight watchers, I gained 10 pounds, I went to my local hospital to take a diabetes class since I am also a hypoglycemic, I wanted to cut through the nonsense and learn proper nutrition.  I followed the diet that was given to me and instead of dropping weight I gained.  Now I am 165 pounds, I am only 5'3.  I eat healthy, very balanced meals.  I went to my Dr. and told her my concerns, since I also suffer from panic attack disorder, I wanted to make sure more wasn't going on.  I had my blood tested, fasted for the test, it showed I wasn't peri- menopausal however my thyroid was just slightly off, but not enough that she felt giving me meds would be necessary. She had me redo my thyroid test, I cannot think of the name of it now, but it was more extensive then the first one. It came back with my thyroid being just slightly off, hypothyroid~ meaning it was slower, I tested my thyroid again six months later, again the number was the same.  She recommended continuing with my diabetic diet plan and adding at least 30 min of exercise 6 days a week to my routine. Her thought was that this would help with my weight, be a more natural way to control my anxiety and could fix my thyroid.  I have to admit, on the days I could find motivation even weeks, to work out, I did feel better and noticed some what of a decrease in the fat around my middle.  My stomach on any given day looks like I am 5 to 8 months pregnant.  It doesn't hurt, but its embarrassing.  People think I am pregnant, when clearly I am not.  The rest of my body looks normal size, not fatty.  My breasts are larger and my face is fuller.  I have depression, lack of motivation to do what I know will help me, I cry sometimes out of frustration and have nights where I just can't sleep well, so I am tired all the time, moody as all get out, and lazy.  I don't want to clean my house or do the things I need too to care for my home or family.  I am a stay at home mom.  My husband thought it might help me to figure out if there is something wrong or I am just gaining weight in the stomach area. If I  worked out my 6 days a week, lifting weights, and playing on the wii fit, since I don't like to be seen, and after two months , because it takes about that long for the body to respond, if I haven't lost any weight, then request more tests to be done.  I will say this, I did notice when I did work out daily, my anxiety was less, I slept better and over all had more energy throughout each day.  I even handled the heat better.  I think I will accept my husbands challenge, it makes sense to give anything a try at this point, and I promise to post on here what the results are at the end of the two months.  
I am about to see if I can get a referral to the fertility clinic here where the doctor is supposedly a god!!

I've even read that in a lot of cases he finds an underlying illness rather than infertility, things doctors have missed for years - so I figured it killed 2 birds with one stone!

I'll keep people updated but I've heard there is a long waiting list so it may be a while.

I am also getting my progesterone levels checked this month which is something they've not done before!
Are you seeing a naturopathic dr as well? Medical Drs are hesitant to do much and if your blood work was off on thyroid, something should be being done to help with that.

CHECK YOUR PROGESTERONE LEVELS!!! EVERYONE!!!! VERY simple blood test, count 21 days from your period and get a blood test. That is when you are supposed to be the highest, so if it is low, or low normal, you got problems...
Same symptoms all around. Many tests, but  nothing confirmed.

I agree that there is something similar happening here.

Gained 15-20lbs in less than 6 months in the past year. Attributing to stress... but nothings takes it off  diet or exercise.

Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety - terrible panic attacks, heart palpitations, confusion, etc.

Uterine fibroid was discovered after birth of my daughter (3.5 years ago). Terrible PMS, awful mood swings, crying, emotional, crabby, irritable, painful cramping, lack of interest in hubby :( this all around sux and to top it off I am terribly uncomfortable.
Been on progesterone cream now for a few months, they had to double my dose. I am actually somewhat HAPPY for the first time in forever, plus I am doing the Paleo diet and have lost almost 10 pounds in 2 months! I am also walking at least 15 mins a day, about 5 days a week. Nothing more strenuous than that yet. I am so thrilled that Paleo is finally helping me take the weight off. My progesterone numbers were SO LOW that it was almost negative. I am also taking Vitex. We shall see what next months progesterone numbers look like.
I would your regime and diet ! Thanks !
Yes  please do. I don't know how to begin.
ditto.... same here... I am gaining 3-5 pounds a week, I have seen 5 different specialist... blood work....after blood work... test after test... MRI, CT Scans, EKGs,...2 trips to the emergency room... and still no doctor can find anything wrong with me.... last doctor said just eat less and exercise more... apparently he did not listen to anything I have been telling him because many doctors seem to Immediately Diagnose you if you are overweight... and that is nothing is wrong with you ... you are just fat... diet and exercise.... OK did they forget that I AM BLOATING UP ... SEVERE DIARRHEA... STOMACH PAINS... SEVERE CRAMPING....(WHO GAINS WEIGHT AND HAVE SEVERE DIARRHEA????) is that also just because I am fat.... I THINK NOT!!!!.... CAN ANYBODY HELP US????
I am 36.  In April I FINALLY dropped most of the weight from third pregnancy, from 186 to 139.  Not the 119 I started at but a huge improvement (baby is 2).  I kept the weight down to 138-140 straight through to the end of July.  I looked and felt great.  Energetic.  Happy.

Then I gained 10 pounds the first week of August.  It is approximately 5 weeks later, and I weigh 181 today.  I have been going for walks and jogs with my kids, pushing the baby in the stroller.  Watching what I eat.  I keep gaining.  Everyone asks if I'm pregnant.  Tested for pregnancy REPEATEDLY, thyroid supposedly great.  Breasts are swollen, stomach is HUGE.  Headaches are insane.  Motion sickness (new to me).  Also very back lower back problems and shortness of breath, probably because I'm so huge so quickly my body is in shock.  

I bought size 14 pants last week and this week I can barely squeeze into the size 16 I borrowed and have worn 3 days straight cause NOTHING ELSE FITS.  I was a size 8 just 5 weeks ago....

I'm mortified.  I'm tired.  I'm scared.  Please, everyone, no matter how many years pass, keep posting any findings, anything that helps, any illnesses or other diagnoses that seem to have been the culprit.  I am going to write down every suggestion on this thread, cleanse, live Paleo, and push to be tested for some of the things mentioned repeatedly here....

I just spend 2 hours reading this post and cried because I am NOT crazy and I am NOT alone.  I AM however petrified.  I hope the people who didn't follow up found their relief and just forgot about this message board because of their newfound happiness.....
i am 18 years old and since i was 12 i kept a constant pant size of 18 at that age i was huge but as i grew i fit better and now within the past 2 months i went from a size 18 to a size 24 to 26.. i hardly eat n when i do its very little my back pain is horrible i got back pains in my lower stomach and i been on my period for almost 3 weeks now and i am getting so scared of wats going on i do nort know how i gained this much weight for no reason please help
I am having very similar problems.  Began after abusing stimulants - in my case, phetermine for many years.  Then, despite all my efforts, I have gained 45 pounds over the last year and a half.  I just turned 40.  I have a Vitamin D deficiency, even though I am on supplements.  Nothing in my closet fits and I just want to hide myself away and avoid parties and socializing if I can.  I eat well and exercise, like most people here.  I have been to several doctors just in the past year that tell me to "eat less, exercise more".  Some offices I have left crying because they don't seem to listen to me.  I have had hypothyroidism diagnosis for the past few years, so I think that is a piece of the puzzle, but not everything.  I even tried going back onto the phen to see if that would help, but no good.  I am desperate!  I am trying a cleanse suggested by my new doctor, and it has eliminated the gas and bloating I felt in the evening, and a lot of the diarrhea, but no other improvements so far.  I still have lack of motivation, brain fog, hair loss, and am worried that the weight is still creeping up.  I have only been doing this program for about 2 weeks, though.  I also have had several tests run, including parasites, hormone, and cortisol levels at different times of the day. I have yet to see the results for those, but I am hopeful that there may be some answers there.  
Wow, this thread is still going on years later.

I will join the club. I am 50, been an athlete my whole life, now experiencing sudden inexplainable weight gain. I do have 2 small ovarian cysts, however also have thyroid issues: low TSH, low T3 and low T4 which I heard does point to a pituitary problem. I also have elevated blood sugar and elevated cortisol. Doctor said oh you need to meditate to reduce your cortisol. NOT, I am quite sure it is Cushings and I'm seeing an endo on Friday to get tested for that.
This has happened to me to and I think it's Cushings.
I have similar symptoms but there are actual roll s of fat on my abdomen and my breasts have gotten bigger and bigger. Upper thighs too. I have s pituitary gland tumor that secretes prolactin and I wonder if that's the cause if this. I did get diagnosed with hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiency but taking meds fur that for months hasn't brought any weight loss. My diet and activity level has not changed. The doctors I see just brush it off and say "too much ice cream" "ha ha" or something. It makes me very angry and frustrated.
Ok, struggling along on my low progesterone journey... I am still riding a roller coaster. My last post, I was doing somewhat better. My progesterone levels went from .40 to 9.3 in 3 months! AND now it's back down to 6.6. I am feeling so frustrated. I am taking progesterone cream, its a higher potency than the over the counter stuff. I am going to see a female Endocrinologist who specializes in female reproductive hormone issues... We shall see what happens. I am just so tired of feeling so junky. I also have still been eating mostly paleo, but have not been exercising, and I just want to eat junk. I have low energy and horrible cravings.
Doing what I can to figure this out, but so far nothing has been super-helpful.  Seen about 8 doctors this year.  I think I'm going through the NIcole-Eggert-Natasha-Hendricks Syndrome.  LOL.  I haven't put on any more weight, and I think maybe trying HIIT might help.  Finally a doc put me on a low dose of water pill, but that doesn't seem to be helping at all.  Also, I am now on a time released form of T3.  Found another doc that I just started to see.  He seems like he really knows his stuff, but I will have to get back to you and let you know.
wow,,i am 37 years old and also dealing with the exact same problems,,i barely even eat,,never have really,,last summer i was 124,, my current weight is 175,its all in my breast, arms, back, stomach, hips, and thighs,,but now also having problems with my periods, i had my period for three months,,it stopped for two days then came right back,they did pap smear, and ultra sound which revealed my right ovary was missing,doc thought maybe endomitriosis, but now that has been ruled out,,now i have all kinds of abdominal pain,and hip pain,i feel like im going crazy,,im pukey everyday,so anyway, thats my story,,if you figure out what is wrong or have any leads to as what u may think please, let me know,with deepest sympathy,,celina
If you are still doing this diet, I would like to see it. I have been gaining weight rapidly this month, but even over the last 6 months. I am so distressed and I do watch what I eat. Granted, I have not been able to exercise because of recent shoulder surgery, but, I am not going over on my caloric intake enough to warrant the rapid increase in weight that I am experiencing.
I have gained 20 pounds in a month and half - I look 7 months pregnant! I wanted to thank all who contributed to this forum as I have been reading all the posts starting 2008?  I am 45 and had a fibroid removed over a year ago. I am exercising over an hour a day. My husband and I walked 10 miles today in preparation for 1/2 marathon.  So, I am going to be really good and see if it is just wrong food choices but I also wear a body bugg (24 hours calorie counter that wraps around your arm) - I am really hoping its just wrong diet choices. I have never gained so much in my life. My weight is all around my stomach, butt and thighs...we will see.  I will update
Please send. I can't stand myself rite now.
I am seeing a Naturopathic Doc in Portland, OR now, who specialized in hormones. My progesterone is up to 18 now by switching to pills!! Anxiety is much better, was able to lose 10 pounds by eating Paleo. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Reactive Hypoglycemia. My DHEA was also low, so taking some of that as well. Still having bad PMS but at least its not constant like it was. I have hope now... hang in there ladies.
Hi there, I don't know if you still check this site, but I have the exact same symptoms as you do, and I have had no diagnosis, and everything I do to lose weight isn't working. I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong, and what caused your symptoms? I used to weight 119, and now I'm 159lbs, and I have a strict and healthy diet, I exercise moderately, and my face, arms, lower legs are all thin, and even my breasts are smaller, but my stomach, hips, and thighs are massive for my body frame and I have no idea what to do next! Please if you see this, please contact me! I'm desperate to find out what's wrong!
Seriously that sounds like Cushing's Disease.
Check your progesterone levels!! day 21-22 of your cycle is when you do the test. That is what I look like too. I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as well... treat with vitamins, diet and exercise... good look!
Viewing 201-292 comments: