Sudden Weight Gain but Not Pregnant
I'll be 46 at the end of this month & just moved to a new state so I don't have the luxury of knowing any doctors.  In the last 1-2 months I suddenly gained 40 + lbs & look pregnant.   That seems to be where the weight all is.  A urinalysis proved negative for pregnancy on Monday & with my 3 grown kids I did not gain this much weight &/or so fast.  I just look pregnant & feel "full - heavy - tired & short of breath" most of the time.  Tomorrow I go for a Pelvic ultrasound w/a full bladder.  The day after I am scheduled for an Abdomen ultrasound - w/fasting.  Any idea what we are looking for or what could cause this?  I can barely eat because I feel so full & yet it's lately that I've gained the most weight.  I am not in pain, I just feel miserable - like over due.  When I asked at the doctor's office what could cause this & what we are looking for they said 'a cyst, tumor, or cancer'...... I would kind of like a bit more information if at all possible.  In the last week I gained another 10lbs & I know this can not be good or keep on.  

Thanks,
JoeShell
I am about to see if I can get a referral to the fertility clinic here where the doctor is supposedly a god!!

I've even read that in a lot of cases he finds an underlying illness rather than infertility, things doctors have missed for years - so I figured it killed 2 birds with one stone!

I'll keep people updated but I've heard there is a long waiting list so it may be a while.

I am also getting my progesterone levels checked this month which is something they've not done before!
Are you seeing a naturopathic dr as well? Medical Drs are hesitant to do much and if your blood work was off on thyroid, something should be being done to help with that.

CHECK YOUR PROGESTERONE LEVELS!!! EVERYONE!!!! VERY simple blood test, count 21 days from your period and get a blood test. That is when you are supposed to be the highest, so if it is low, or low normal, you got problems...
Same symptoms all around. Many tests, but  nothing confirmed.

I agree that there is something similar happening here.

Gained 15-20lbs in less than 6 months in the past year. Attributing to stress... but nothings takes it off  diet or exercise.

Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety - terrible panic attacks, heart palpitations, confusion, etc.

Uterine fibroid was discovered after birth of my daughter (3.5 years ago). Terrible PMS, awful mood swings, crying, emotional, crabby, irritable, painful cramping, lack of interest in hubby :( this all around sux and to top it off I am terribly uncomfortable.
Been on progesterone cream now for a few months, they had to double my dose. I am actually somewhat HAPPY for the first time in forever, plus I am doing the Paleo diet and have lost almost 10 pounds in 2 months! I am also walking at least 15 mins a day, about 5 days a week. Nothing more strenuous than that yet. I am so thrilled that Paleo is finally helping me take the weight off. My progesterone numbers were SO LOW that it was almost negative. I am also taking Vitex. We shall see what next months progesterone numbers look like.
I would your regime and diet ! Thanks !
Yes  please do. I don't know how to begin.
ditto.... same here... I am gaining 3-5 pounds a week, I have seen 5 different specialist... blood work....after blood work... test after test... MRI, CT Scans, EKGs,...2 trips to the emergency room... and still no doctor can find anything wrong with me.... last doctor said just eat less and exercise more... apparently he did not listen to anything I have been telling him because many doctors seem to Immediately Diagnose you if you are overweight... and that is nothing is wrong with you ... you are just fat... diet and exercise.... OK did they forget that I AM BLOATING UP ... SEVERE DIARRHEA... STOMACH PAINS... SEVERE CRAMPING....(WHO GAINS WEIGHT AND HAVE SEVERE DIARRHEA????) is that also just because I am fat.... I THINK NOT!!!!.... CAN ANYBODY HELP US????
I am 36.  In April I FINALLY dropped most of the weight from third pregnancy, from 186 to 139.  Not the 119 I started at but a huge improvement (baby is 2).  I kept the weight down to 138-140 straight through to the end of July.  I looked and felt great.  Energetic.  Happy.

Then I gained 10 pounds the first week of August.  It is approximately 5 weeks later, and I weigh 181 today.  I have been going for walks and jogs with my kids, pushing the baby in the stroller.  Watching what I eat.  I keep gaining.  Everyone asks if I'm pregnant.  Tested for pregnancy REPEATEDLY, thyroid supposedly great.  Breasts are swollen, stomach is HUGE.  Headaches are insane.  Motion sickness (new to me).  Also very back lower back problems and shortness of breath, probably because I'm so huge so quickly my body is in shock.  

I bought size 14 pants last week and this week I can barely squeeze into the size 16 I borrowed and have worn 3 days straight cause NOTHING ELSE FITS.  I was a size 8 just 5 weeks ago....

I'm mortified.  I'm tired.  I'm scared.  Please, everyone, no matter how many years pass, keep posting any findings, anything that helps, any illnesses or other diagnoses that seem to have been the culprit.  I am going to write down every suggestion on this thread, cleanse, live Paleo, and push to be tested for some of the things mentioned repeatedly here....

I just spend 2 hours reading this post and cried because I am NOT crazy and I am NOT alone.  I AM however petrified.  I hope the people who didn't follow up found their relief and just forgot about this message board because of their newfound happiness.....
i am 18 years old and since i was 12 i kept a constant pant size of 18 at that age i was huge but as i grew i fit better and now within the past 2 months i went from a size 18 to a size 24 to 26.. i hardly eat n when i do its very little my back pain is horrible i got back pains in my lower stomach and i been on my period for almost 3 weeks now and i am getting so scared of wats going on i do nort know how i gained this much weight for no reason please help
I am having very similar problems.  Began after abusing stimulants - in my case, phetermine for many years.  Then, despite all my efforts, I have gained 45 pounds over the last year and a half.  I just turned 40.  I have a Vitamin D deficiency, even though I am on supplements.  Nothing in my closet fits and I just want to hide myself away and avoid parties and socializing if I can.  I eat well and exercise, like most people here.  I have been to several doctors just in the past year that tell me to "eat less, exercise more".  Some offices I have left crying because they don't seem to listen to me.  I have had hypothyroidism diagnosis for the past few years, so I think that is a piece of the puzzle, but not everything.  I even tried going back onto the phen to see if that would help, but no good.  I am desperate!  I am trying a cleanse suggested by my new doctor, and it has eliminated the gas and bloating I felt in the evening, and a lot of the diarrhea, but no other improvements so far.  I still have lack of motivation, brain fog, hair loss, and am worried that the weight is still creeping up.  I have only been doing this program for about 2 weeks, though.  I also have had several tests run, including parasites, hormone, and cortisol levels at different times of the day. I have yet to see the results for those, but I am hopeful that there may be some answers there.  
Wow, this thread is still going on years later.

I will join the club. I am 50, been an athlete my whole life, now experiencing sudden inexplainable weight gain. I do have 2 small ovarian cysts, however also have thyroid issues: low TSH, low T3 and low T4 which I heard does point to a pituitary problem. I also have elevated blood sugar and elevated cortisol. Doctor said oh you need to meditate to reduce your cortisol. NOT, I am quite sure it is Cushings and I'm seeing an endo on Friday to get tested for that.
This has happened to me to and I think it's Cushings.
I have similar symptoms but there are actual roll s of fat on my abdomen and my breasts have gotten bigger and bigger. Upper thighs too. I have s pituitary gland tumor that secretes prolactin and I wonder if that's the cause if this. I did get diagnosed with hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiency but taking meds fur that for months hasn't brought any weight loss. My diet and activity level has not changed. The doctors I see just brush it off and say "too much ice cream" "ha ha" or something. It makes me very angry and frustrated.
Ok, struggling along on my low progesterone journey... I am still riding a roller coaster. My last post, I was doing somewhat better. My progesterone levels went from .40 to 9.3 in 3 months! AND now it's back down to 6.6. I am feeling so frustrated. I am taking progesterone cream, its a higher potency than the over the counter stuff. I am going to see a female Endocrinologist who specializes in female reproductive hormone issues... We shall see what happens. I am just so tired of feeling so junky. I also have still been eating mostly paleo, but have not been exercising, and I just want to eat junk. I have low energy and horrible cravings.
Doing what I can to figure this out, but so far nothing has been super-helpful.  Seen about 8 doctors this year.  I think I'm going through the NIcole-Eggert-Natasha-Hendricks Syndrome.  LOL.  I haven't put on any more weight, and I think maybe trying HIIT might help.  Finally a doc put me on a low dose of water pill, but that doesn't seem to be helping at all.  Also, I am now on a time released form of T3.  Found another doc that I just started to see.  He seems like he really knows his stuff, but I will have to get back to you and let you know.
wow,,i am 37 years old and also dealing with the exact same problems,,i barely even eat,,never have really,,last summer i was 124,, my current weight is 175,its all in my breast, arms, back, stomach, hips, and thighs,,but now also having problems with my periods, i had my period for three months,,it stopped for two days then came right back,they did pap smear, and ultra sound which revealed my right ovary was missing,doc thought maybe endomitriosis, but now that has been ruled out,,now i have all kinds of abdominal pain,and hip pain,i feel like im going crazy,,im pukey everyday,so anyway, thats my story,,if you figure out what is wrong or have any leads to as what u may think please, let me know,with deepest sympathy,,celina
If you are still doing this diet, I would like to see it. I have been gaining weight rapidly this month, but even over the last 6 months. I am so distressed and I do watch what I eat. Granted, I have not been able to exercise because of recent shoulder surgery, but, I am not going over on my caloric intake enough to warrant the rapid increase in weight that I am experiencing.
I have gained 20 pounds in a month and half - I look 7 months pregnant! I wanted to thank all who contributed to this forum as I have been reading all the posts starting 2008?  I am 45 and had a fibroid removed over a year ago. I am exercising over an hour a day. My husband and I walked 10 miles today in preparation for 1/2 marathon.  So, I am going to be really good and see if it is just wrong food choices but I also wear a body bugg (24 hours calorie counter that wraps around your arm) - I am really hoping its just wrong diet choices. I have never gained so much in my life. My weight is all around my stomach, butt and thighs...we will see.  I will update
Please send. I can't stand myself rite now.
I am seeing a Naturopathic Doc in Portland, OR now, who specialized in hormones. My progesterone is up to 18 now by switching to pills!! Anxiety is much better, was able to lose 10 pounds by eating Paleo. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Reactive Hypoglycemia. My DHEA was also low, so taking some of that as well. Still having bad PMS but at least its not constant like it was. I have hope now... hang in there ladies.
Hi there, I don't know if you still check this site, but I have the exact same symptoms as you do, and I have had no diagnosis, and everything I do to lose weight isn't working. I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong, and what caused your symptoms? I used to weight 119, and now I'm 159lbs, and I have a strict and healthy diet, I exercise moderately, and my face, arms, lower legs are all thin, and even my breasts are smaller, but my stomach, hips, and thighs are massive for my body frame and I have no idea what to do next! Please if you see this, please contact me! I'm desperate to find out what's wrong!
Seriously that sounds like Cushing's Disease.
Check your progesterone levels!! day 21-22 of your cycle is when you do the test. That is what I look like too. I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as well... treat with vitamins, diet and exercise... good look!
I am 43 for the most part I have been healthy but the last 5 months I am a]gaining weight for reason. I eat well and was working out but now it seems like it's making me gain weight.  I did cardio because I didn't want to gain anymore muscle. I don't know where to start. I am seeing my OB right now and we are running test so we will see what happens
well, have just read all of this and it is describing me, i have had rapid weight loss followed by huge weight gains for years am now 44 , started at 23 , later i found out i had pcos , so sometimes when on birth control i would get fatter but with Diane for example would lose 12 to 15 kilos, then i started getting acne so they gave me adrocur, medication to block testererone production , the last time i took it i lost all the 18 kilos i had gained but now have gone into menopause so the adrocur has not helped this time ad the cists on ovaries have suddenly disappeared.
About a year ago i started having swollen knee joints, swellings on the face, terrible dry eyes, although a tear test shows enough fluid just the quality is not there, have headaches terriblle tiredness, eat hardly anythig yet look like am around 8 months pregnant, suffer from cramps, round puffy face, dry hair, progesterone is not helping nothing helps the wight gain arrived in 2 weeks was not even eating at the time am so sick of people joking about the baby issue or eating sweets, don't feel like going out have no sex drive ad sometimes do't have the energy to walk 100m without stopping to sit, am hot all the time no flushes and wake up aways through the night for no reason, anyone found any help yet?
I also used to be on the same boat but thanks to Liproxenol, I got back to my ideal weight. I didn't think it is possible but I was proven wrong by this product. Best of all, I didn't experience any side effects.
I relate totally on your post. So sorry that someone else is going through what I am. My doctor told me that I need to count calories now. UGH I know what I am eating that hasnt changed except for the better. Its my weight that has changed and for NO REASON. hugs
Interested in your regimine,
I'm interested in your vitamin and gluten regimen.  Thank you for the post.  You are an extremely brave young woman and an inspiration.  Bless you.
I read your post and my heart went out to you pleased you have turned a corner, my beautiful 42 year old daughter has gained a lot of weight is very depressed, she has my full support. Could you please send me a copy of your diet
Without saying too much, I completely relate to you. I would love to see how you managed the adrenal fatigue you mention. I have been skinny most of my life and i have some very similar stress related issues. I have recently been piling on loads of weight and very quickly. I eat next to nothing and the weight just keeps piling on. Please tell me more. I look forward to hearing from you. thank you so much for sharing on your personal life like that.
yes please send me your regime Sent to ***@****. I am 52 and need some help thank you.
please post what you are doing for adrenal fatique. or email me ***@****
Did you ever get an answer to your question?  I'm experiencing the same symptoms.  I've started working out at least 30 mins a day and I'm still not losing weight.  I've gained so much after a surgery I had and I'm only eating oatmeal, veggies and yogurt.  I can't understand why I'm not losing weight (and am unsure why I gained so much in the first place).  HELP!
Weight Gain But Not Pregnant
Did you have an answer to this question?  I'm experiencing the same symptoms.  I've started working out at least 30 mins a day and I'm still not losing weight.  I've gained so much after a surgery I had and I'm only eating oatmeal, veggies and yogurt.  I can't understand why I'm not losing weight (and am unsure why I gained so much in the first place).  HELP!
I would really like to no what supplements and diet your following plse, my life has slowly got more stressful an upto 5 months i was a size 8 but all of a sudden i;ve started gaining 2lb a wk not matter what i do and gone upto a size 12 already :(
I don't know if you will even see this considering it's been a few years, or if it's even still applicable to you, but I thought I would pass on some advice my nutritionist told me, and add a little of my own lovely experience.  

According to my nutritionist, you need to eat...and eat, and eat.  Healthy, whole foods of course, or quick foods that have been created healthy that we can grab and go with, however, it's very important to take the time for yourself to take 10 and eat your meal.  In her words, "You are worth it, so take it".  Eating only a small amount of food will set your body into what is known as feast or famine mode, which basically means that if you don't eat regularly, your body will hold onto it for dear life because it doesn't know when it's going to get fed again, which makes you gain weight, not lose it.  I read somewhere once, that when we get our POW's back in a state of starvation, the quickest way that was found to make them gain the weight back wasn't to feed them a lot of food...it was to feed them very small amounts so their bodies would hold onto that nutrition until the next small meal that they received.  It was a very interesting article and it brought into focus of how important it is to eat those meals so that your body knows it's ok to burn it off instead of greedily hold onto it.

As for the personal experience I was speaking of, (aside from the feast/famine thing): I nearly drank myself to death...with water.  I love water.  I didn't drink it to diet, I literally LOVE water.  The problem was that with all the water I was drinking, I washed nearly all of the sodium and potassium out of my system.  I swelled up huge.  You could press your finger on my hand or an ankle, and 10 minutes later, you could still see the indent the finger made.  You may want to go to your doctor and ask for a complete blood workup and see if you are low on any of the essential minerals you are supposed to have in your body.  It took, in my case, reducing the amount of water I was allowed to 3 liters a day, (this was a compromise between my doctor and I.  He said two, I thought he was trying to kill me.  We agreed on three for starters), and keeping track of every mg of sodium and sugar that I ingested until I returned to my normal weight.  It wasn't easy, but it had to be done.  And it was worth it.  I wouldn't be spending time with my husband, my daughters, and my wonderful family if they were not able to figure this out.  The reason I brought this up, was because of how quickly you said you gained that much weight.  I'm not a doctor, but that screams medical condition to me.

I hope you have everything under control these days.  If not, and you still get this post, I hope it helps.  I wish nothing but the best for you!!
I am 45 and going through a lot of the same symptoms.  Very tired, bloated all the time.  What I have figured out is that I have an intolerance to milk/diary products.  I am working on removing dairy from my diet completely.  I use dairy free coffee creamer, dairy free butter and eat no cheese, no milk etc.  I am going back to the basics kind of.  I just started so I don't have any results to share BUT...i know of 2 other people who experienced the same symptoms and felt like a new person after 2 weeks of NO DAIRY!  It certainly couldn't hurt any of you to try.  Good luck!
I am a 54 year old woman who has had 2 C-sections, a radical hysterectomy, and 5 inches of sigmoidal colon removed due to diverticulitis. I gained a lot of weight and haven't been able to get it off.
I was tested and on a special diet to rule of celiacs disease without any weight loss or any change. I have been married to the same man for 20 years with significant financial issues throughout those years. 2 years ago my husband abandoned our whole family and I lost a between 40 and 50 pounds. I started walking 2-4 miles a day and started toning a lot.  I looked great and then lost my job, had to move back to my fathers home to take care of him as an Alzheimer's patient till he passed. since then I have gained about 30 pounds all in and around my stomach. I walk 2-6 miles a day, eat right, not drink or do any drugs and I cant figure out why I cant loose this weight. I look 6 months pregnant and am very uncomfortable.  the doctors tell me to count calories and exercise more, what the heck. I think I have a hormone imbalance but no one listens please help direct me where I can get answers and help.
Perhaps this has been mentioned, but all the common symptoms of sudden weight gain, fatigue, loss of energy, stress fall into thyroid issues which can be easily fixed with prescriptions (levothyroxine for one). Also carving out a place to go and time for yourself (you are worth it, if you don't believe it, do it for the ones who love you) to completely unwind & de-stress, perhaps writing every thought & battle in a journal with the complete freedom to destroy some pages - especially after you've written down all your anger issues as if you were actually face to face with them. - Or go to counseling, just somewhere to de-stress and clear out, bring yourself to a place of peace. The stress levels send the body (the internal organs and blood flow) into chaos and provides a seed bed for all kinds of disease.
'God will keep in perfect peace all those whose minds are focused on Him'
S.
Please tell me your supplement regime as my daughter has adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism but hasnt improved with her current supplements after 5 months and is still gaining weight despite being grain free and eating no sugar or processed food.

CB
I experienced the same thing about a year ago. Happily I was working for a hormone dr at the time and have been able to finally get my symptoms under control, though I am in no way "healed" or back to what I was before. Mine all started with adrenal fatigue, which led to hypothryoidism and finally overall hormone imbalance. I don't sleep well,never have - which adds to my inability to heal my adrenals. Anyways long story short I had the same problem - rapid weight gain despite a healthy diet and lots and lots of exercise.
I've tried it all - started by taking Armour thyroid and going to a paleo diet and taking vitamins to support hormones and metabolism.  It worked for a while, then the weight started to come back on. I then found out my hormones were low so I started on HRT and immediately gained even more weight. I tried a sugar detox diet. I tried restricting myself to 1000 calories a day - helped, but the weight crept back.
Finally about 2 months ago I decided to go OFF the paleo diet and follow a whole foods high fiber diet (fiber is big in weight loss) instead.  I added back in oats and beans and occasional whole grain bread. Calories restricted to 800-1000 per day, limit workouts to 35 minutes a day (high intensity), all carbs eaten before 3 pm each day, and either try to skip dinner or eat only a protein shake with unsweet almond milk and hemp for fiber. Finally did the trick and I am back down to my normal weight of 124 pounds.
However, my hormones are still shot so I have started HRT including some testosterone to help rebuild my muscle tissue and will continue to take the following supplements: DIM (for estrogen metabolism, weight loss), Collagen (for muscle development, weight loss), Berberine (to improve insulin sensitivity, weight loss), 60mg per day Armour Thyroid, Milk Thistle (liver detox), Zinc, Vit D, Omega 3 fish oil, Adaptocrine (endocrine support), Aloe (anti inflammatory). Also I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. I eat very little dairy (greek yogurt only), and absolutely NO products containing hormones (cage free vege fed eggs, organic free range or grass fed meats, non RBST butter, etc).  No processed foods other than my organic whey protein powder and hemp powder.
please post the regime
I would love to see ur regime. I'm in same situation I have no doubt help!!! Ur input is awesome
Have your thyroid checked... Also sounds like possibly your liver is enlarged.
Omg I could have written your story I was told by my doctor who knew my stoey that I had ptsd and basically just worn out tried putting me on a bunch of psych drugs ontop of meds for my bad back. Well long story short I got rid of husband left my job am happier then ever except I suddenly gained 25 pounds in 90 daysall in belly and I am so bloated I look like I am overdue it is all in belly. I would love to hear about your supplements etc. I went off all meds because I thought they may have caused weight gain and they did not seem to do any good .so please get back to me
what are the nutrient supplements you added ? I am really interested in the adrenal cause related to weight gain. I am going to check this out. I am turning into a balloon after a total hysterectomy 3 yrs. ago!

I can relate to all the above and attempted all the diet/lifestyle changes many of you are doing BUT it wasn't until I had a physician that did a full body blood work up and discovered that I had elevated Lipase, that I began to experience relief. The result of bloodwork,then required an endoscopic ultrasound on my pancrease. That procedure determined that I have chronic pancreatitis. I am now on 36,000 units of CREON that must be taken before every meal and snack. The bloat has gone down significantly. ALSO, and this is HUGE, one of my doctor's noted my increasing complaints of fatigue. Even shortly after exercise, and as most of you know, the beauty of exercise is INCREASED energy. Well that was not happening. I often felt depleted (and my adrenals were in check). My doctor suggested a sleep test. I looked at him funny because I thought sleep tests were only reserved for those that snore and frequently stop breathing while sleeping.  My husband said I do not snore and he has never thought that I stopped breathing. He did comment that I twitch a great deal while sleeping. Apparently there are different types of sleep apnea and I have the type where my brain does not tell my body to breathe, so my body will twitch to wake me up and breath. I am very vain, did not want my husband sleeping next to me with this THING on my face and certainly didn't want to have to travel with CPAC machine BUT after one night of restful sleep I did  NOT want to leave the sleep lab without the CPAC!!!! If you have health insurance, just get it ruled out. Don't let vanity stop you. Don't let the fact that you don't snore stop you. If you wake up feeling unrested, unrefreshed, with a headache; don't think for a second that it's 'just allergies'. Men, if you have ED issues that can't be resolved with performance enhancing supplements or medication, consider a sleep study. NOTHING about your body can be healed until you start to get adequate sleep. In that one night of restful sleep, I could not believe the energy I felt when I awoke, how refreshed I felt AND joint pain was gone,  back pain was gone AND weight started to fall off because my metabolism started to function properly. It was also explained to me that the body starts to produce too much cortisol when you do not sleep well.  I am kicking myself for not pursuing the sleep test when it was first mentioned. I could have spared myself years of health issues. Will it reverse chronic pancreatitis? No but it has certainly helped many of the other symptoms I had been experiencing. I'm also off most of my meds  (hormone therapy, thyroid, high blood pressure). If fatigue tops the list of symptoms you are experiencing and you can't lose weight, then ask your doctor about ordering you a sleep test. Be persistent, as some MD's will suggest that you need to lose weight first. I discovered I needed the CPAC in order TO lose weight. Also, machines are very quiet and much more comfortable. It takes some trial and error but you and your respiratory therapist will figure out what works best for you. Hope this helps!