Sudden severe abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Sudden severe abdominal pain

Last night I woke up to a severe pain in my lower abdomen.  The pain was so intense, I ran to the bathroom thinking/feeling like I was going to have diarrhea or vomit.  Once in the bathroom I was unable to have a bowel movement or even pass gas which is kind of what I felt like I had to do.  The pain would no go away, I felt hot and faint, I cooled my face with cold water.  I sitting back on the toilet I felt like I had to vomit, which I did and it was very forceful at times.  The pain was so bad that it made me cry and I have a high pain tolerance.  I went back to bed and curled up into a ball, nothing I did eased the pain. It hurt to sit on my bottom, when I tried I would get shooting pains.  My husband immediately got up, got me dressed and drove me to the ER but by the time we got there I felt better and I hate ERs.  On the way to the ER I passed gas about 3 times and every time I felt better.  We went home and yes the severe pain has diminished but there is a dull pain and my lower abdomen is very tender.  I am debating going to my doctor.  Does anyone have an insight on what is going on?