WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Swelling in upper labia minora
by iojd24, Nov 19, 2006
Not sure I am posting in the correct area. I have had a painful swelling in the upper right side of my labia minora. It is very swollen and painful. I have done a search, but the only thing I find is for a Bartholin gland cyst and my husband doesn't think it looks the same as my swelling is on the same part only on the upper portion of the labia minora. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I have soaked in a bath and taken advil, but it is still hurting to walk or sit in certain positions. Thanks!
Member Comments (93)
by socgirl, Nov 19, 2006
Hi...It could be a number of things...it could be a cyst, an infected sebaciious gland, an abcess or anything.  This may be a gross thing to ask, but is there puss coming out of it?  Is the swelling hard?   The only way to know what it is for sure is go to a doctor, so i would make an appointment sooner rather than later.  Also, for the pain, ice might help as well as the advil you're already taking.  Put some ice into a zip loc bag or a latex glove (provided you're not allergic to latex) and tie it off.  Sit on the ice for 15-20 minutes at a time.  I know it won't look realy attractive....but who the hec cares about appearances when you're in pain! :)  I hope this helps some.
by TheToken, Nov 19, 2006
>_<

I hate these.  If cold is too uncomfortable, try a heading pack, the heat would bring the infection to a head after a while if it is something non-major and allow it to drain.  (If it is just a skin infection.)  Really though, better safe than sorry if you've never had something like this before.  The first poster is right, go see physician.
by iojd24, Nov 19, 2006
Thanks. I will call the dr tomorrow. I will try ice after my girls go to bed (4&5 so they still need tending to).

No pus, but 2-3 times larger on one side than the other. I'll let you know what the dr says.
by oceans3, Nov 19, 2006
well, first off, you ARE posting in the right place. second, it does sound like it could possibly be a bartholins cyst. in that case placing a HOT cloth as often as you can should help drain it. i have had a few of those myself. it could also be an ingrown hair that is now infected and again, a hot cloth placed upon the area should give relief. you said its on one side so i wouldnt think any type of allergic reaction to detergent, soap, lotion, condom...that sort of thing. yes, let us know what the dr. says ok?
by pat69, Aug 06, 2007
I did a search, since I have the exact same symptom (only left side).  What did you doctor say?
by pat69, Aug 06, 2007
Sorry.  I should proofread better.  What I meant was, that my search found your question.  What did your doctor tell you?  I need to know how worried to be.  Thanks.
by gili50, Sep 06, 2007
I have had a swollen labia, on the right side, for about two weeks. I went to a gynecologist and he said that it was only a minor irritation and to sit in lukewarm baths for four days. They did nothing. If anything, the swelling only increased. I have been applying organic aloe vera gel with vitamin E several times a day, plus an all heal salve that has olive oil, comfrey, calendula and St. Johnswort. There are all supposed to be good to reduce the inflammation. The doctor gave me a prescription for a cream and I have stopped using it because it has petrolatum in it, which clogs the pores. My husband believes the swelling has gone down a bit, but to me, it feels the same. I was thinking of either using cold compresses or ice packs to reduce the swelling and was also wondering about taking a cool bath.
by willow08, Dec 14, 2007
I have the same thing on my left side. My vagina was very dry the night before I got it so I put some vaserline "down there". When I woke up the morning I had a small pea size bump thought nothing of it and carried on with my usual it just got bigger at mornings I would wake up and it would have shrunk a little but by the end of the day it's swollen again. I was wonderin if it was from my pantyliners but I've been using them for a while. Right now it's reached the point where morning it's tolerable but nights it hurts like a b*t*h sharp pain then it spreads out. I have tried hot baths, hot compresses, even a bit of salt water (makes the pain worse) in case it's a bacteria, I've shaved the area trying to find a "head" but nothing the area is just swollen.  I've had it for 3 days now.
by nstern, Dec 22, 2007
HI-
I have had redness and irritation in my labia minora and it burns a little during urination but also not during too. I was wondering if anyone has had this before becuase i am starting to worry a bit. Thanks.