Swelling in upper labia minora

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Swelling in upper labia minora

Not sure I am posting in the correct area. I have had a painful swelling in the upper right side of my labia minora. It is very swollen and painful. I have done a search, but the only thing I find is for a Bartholin gland cyst and my husband doesn't think it looks the same as my swelling is on the same part only on the upper portion of the labia minora. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I have soaked in a bath and taken advil, but it is still hurting to walk or sit in certain positions. Thanks!
Hi...It could be a number of things...it could be a cyst, an infected sebaciious gland, an abcess (abscess) or anything.  This may be a gross thing to ask, but is there puss coming out of it?  Is the swelling hard?   The only way to know what it is for sure is go to a doctor, so i would make an appointment sooner rather than later.  Also, for the pain, ice might help as well as the advil you're already taking.  Put some ice into a zip loc bag or a latex glove (provided you're not allergic to latex) and tie it off.  Sit on the ice for 15-20 minutes at a time.  I know it won't look realy attractive....but who the hec cares about appearances when you're in pain! :)  I hope this helps some.
>_<

I hate these.  If cold is too uncomfortable, try a heading pack, the heat would bring the infection to a head after a while if it is something non-major and allow it to drain.  (If it is just a skin infection.)  Really though, better safe than sorry if you've never had something like this before.  The first poster is right, go see physician.
Thanks. I will call the dr tomorrow. I will try ice after my girls go to bed (4&5 so they still need tending to).

No pus, but 2-3 times larger on one side than the other. I'll let you know what the dr says.
well, first off, you ARE posting in the right place. second, it does sound like it could possibly be a bartholins cyst. in that case placing a HOT cloth as often as you can should help drain it. i have had a few of those myself. it could also be an ingrown hair that is now infected and again, a hot cloth placed upon the area should give relief. you said its on one side so i wouldnt think any type of allergic reaction to detergent, soap, lotion, condom...that sort of thing. yes, let us know what the dr. says ok?
I did a search, since I have the exact same symptom (only left side).  What did you doctor say?
Sorry.  I should proofread better.  What I meant was, that my search found your question.  What did your doctor tell you?  I need to know how worried to be.  Thanks.
I have had a swollen labia, on the right side, for about two weeks. I went to a gynecologist and he said that it was only a minor irritation and to sit in lukewarm baths for four days. They did nothing. If anything, the swelling only increased. I have been applying organic aloe vera gel with vitamin E several times a day, plus an all heal salve that has olive oil, comfrey, calendula and St. Johnswort. There are all supposed to be good to reduce the inflammation. The doctor gave me a prescription for a cream and I have stopped using it because it has petrolatum in it, which clogs the pores. My husband believes the swelling has gone down a bit, but to me, it feels the same. I was thinking of either using cold compresses or ice packs to reduce the swelling and was also wondering about taking a cool bath.
I have the same thing on my left side. My vagina was very dry the night before I got it so I put some vaserline "down there". When I woke up the morning I had a small pea size bump thought nothing of it and carried on with my usual it just got bigger at mornings I would wake up and it would have shrunk a little but by the end of the day it's swollen again. I was wonderin if it was from my pantyliners but I've been using them for a while. Right now it's reached the point where morning it's tolerable but nights it hurts like a b*t*h sharp pain then it spreads out. I have tried hot baths, hot compresses, even a bit of salt water (makes the pain worse) in case it's a bacteria, I've shaved the area trying to find a "head" but nothing the area is just swollen.  I've had it for 3 days now.
HI-
I have had redness and irritation in my labia minora and it burns a little during urination but also not during too. I was wondering if anyone has had this before becuase i am starting to worry a bit. Thanks.

Thought I'd add to this in case anyone comes across it whilst searching countless search engines!!

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a lump on the left side of my labia minora. I went to the docs straight away and she wasnt sure what it was but put me on antibiotics anyway to see if they would help it go. The next couple of days were agony, it got bigger and more painful. Hot baths and ice packs took the pain away for maybe an hour but it would always return. Then it got to the point where nothing was taking it off so I went to A&E as I started to feel ill with the amount of pain. It turned out to be an abcess (abscess) and the following day they were going to takeme into surgery. Luckily it burst itself through the night and I was allowed home. but 2 weeks later it was back. i again went to the docs and was put on antibiotics and luckily it didnt get as bad and burst within 2 days (previously had it for 14 days in total). I was told to squeeze it for about 20 mins each day to make sure it didnt fill back up and give the antibiotics a chance to work. I'm still waiting for it to completely go but it there's no more puss coming out and it seems to be healing well. My advice to anyone with a lump in that area is to go to the docs straight away. Once an abcess (abscess) forms, there is no point taking antibiotics as the wall of the abcess (abscess) doesnt allow them in. But if you start taking them before it fully forms you have a better chance of them working. if nothing works and the pain is getting worse, take a trip to A&E and get it checked out properly. I was admitted within half an hour which is unusual for my local A&E!!! abcesses can be dangerous and very painful, so see a doctor asap once you notice it.
When these lumps burst, is it normal to have blood along with the puss?
Hi there,

At first, I didn't know what my condition was or what it's called but i figured it's the Labia Minora becuz I googled in "pic of the Vaginal area" etc..

Anyway, I'm a very healthy person until a couple of days ago..I believe it started on the day of my period and during the time, it was a discomfort but not as bad and now that my period is gone, the pain is so bad that when i put my legs together it hurts..Its better when i have my legs separated;  and then one day I decided to have a look at myself in the mirror and bent down and looked and I notice that one side is larger or more swollen then the other and it's also painful to the touch..Now, a couple of days later..The swollen and large thingy is down and so is the pain but now, it's worst...!!

When i urinate, It stings and burn so much that i don't want to drink any more liquids, afraid of going to the restroom, and I'm bleeding when I urinate also..When I put tissue paper to the affect area, there's blood but not period blood, just dabs of blood and its always worst when i urinate..

Help me out..I've never had any health issue, esp in that lower area..I'm over 21 and am still a virgin and don't do drugs nor do I drink or smoke..So, I'm confused and scared and I CAN'T afford to see a doctor, not if i want to go into debt..Help!!

Email at: ***@****
So I think there might be two (very easy to fix) conditions on our hands.  About the swelling, I am going through the same thing right now, and from what I have researched there are several causes. Swelling of the labia can occur from an allergy to a certain fragrance in a soap you are using, because of friction from intercourse (which does not apply to you), and for unknown reasons also.  Since the swelling of your labia has gone down then the only other thing we have to be concerned with is the blood when you urinate. Don't worry, I have had this too and I didn't go to a doctor. My grandmother told me that if I was seeing blood in my urine accompanied by pain, feeling like I have to constantly urinate, cramping, etc. it's simply a bladder/kidney infection.  I could not afford to go to a doctor either so I bummed some antibiodics from a friend who had a full script.  After the first three days I was urinating almost without pain and after ten I felt 100% better.  Good luck, and I hope this helps.
I too have had a bladder infection, both mild and severe. First off start drinking lots of cranberry juice or take cranberry pills. It may sting a little bit with you urinate from it but it is a good pain because it is cleaning you. Drink lots of water, this will help flush you out and help your kidney function.  If it looks like blood flakes then it probably is just in your bladder. At least this is what I have experienced. You can also try taking garlic tablets, for they are a natural antibiotic. If it is pure blood, it is probably in your kidneys, and if left untreated can move to other areas and damage your kidneys. If this is the case you have to see a doctor. Most counties have free clinics, usually not the most pleasant place to go (first come first serve) but at least it is free or close to free. I hope this helps. Good Luck
I had the same type of swelling last month and about two years ago I had it before.  When I went to the doctor the first time she was very rude and told me it was a yeast infection, gave me the cream & diflucan and told me to try over the counter medication before seeing her for this again.  My symptoms were at that time, swollen on one side, it started out as a small bump and seemed as big as a baseball over the course of a day.  When I took the pill and put the cream on, it took a couple of days for the swelling to go down and then whatever it was seemed to burst with puss and some blood.  

Last month, I just thought it was a yeast infection again and had my doctor call in a script - only I got the script on the first day before it was swollen to baseball size and it took about three days for the swelling to go down completely and again it burst with puss and blood.  

I wonder if my first doctor was just being a b*t*h and assumed that is what it was, when in fact it could have been something else.  I guess I'll try to see a new doctor the next time it happens.
I agree it is most likely an ingrown hair. Still, it should be examined by a doctor. Also, if you develop folliculitis, which is what you have described, repeatedly, there is then a reason to be concerned. If no known cause can be found, it would then be possible you have a rather serious autoimmune disease called Behcet's Syndrome. This disease's initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing vaginal sores, fissures, and folliculitis. Other symptoms develop years later, so it is very important that you find out just what it is that is causing your symptoms. Don't be too quick to brush it off as nothing, Behcet's disease affects people of every age and every race. It is important you see a doctor who know's enough to help you. Ask them about Behcet's Disease is, if they can't tell you about it, they don't know enough to help you if something is seriously wrong.
This is not an ingrown hair. There is no hair on the labia minor.

I get these, too. It is always in my left labia minor. One time it swelled to the size of a golf ball!! The pain was so horrible, I could barely walk. I had to take a pain pill to sleep. When I woke up, it had ruptured significantly and stinkingly with blood and puss. It drained for about two days.

It is not an STD. It is not herpes. The hardest part about this condition is that when you try to discuss it, people jump in and say it is an STD.
An autoimmune disease called Behcet's Syndrome's initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing vaginal sores, cuts, fissures, folliculitis and or inflammation in the genital area. Other symptoms develop many years later. It is different in everyone who has it. . Your immune system is in over drive. It is an autoimmune disorder caused by enviromental damage to your immune system.  It could get better or worse, depending on how well you take care of yourselves and how well you are treated.

. My symptoms started at age fifteen with itching, inflammation, then folliculitis (ingrown hairs), then cuts all over the vagina from time to time. It is different for everyone who has it. Some people just have inflammation where others may get cuts, or sores aswell. Folliculitis is a type of acne and is very common in Behcet's and occurs during or before a "flare" and can be on the face or anywhere. Chronic yeast infections and BV come hand and hand with Behcet's because it is a immune system disorder that weakens the immune system because the immune system is working in over drive. You are now allergic to more things. It is not contagious and it doesn't run in families. Researchers around the world think it is triggered by strep throat or from other enviromental causes. It has been proven to not be genetic. Gential (genital) to Gential (genital) contact will cause a reaction "flare" in these people, so will a common illness, injury, or stress. It is very important for people who have this to rest often, use condoms, and take good care of themselves to avoid flares. They will also need medication like steriods and or immune suppressants, depending on their case.  Someone who needs a lot of medication to start, might not need that much with a little time. Common symptoms later in the disease, if it goes untreated, are digestive symptoms, bowel inflammation, possible bladder inflammation that feels like a bladder infection, arthritis, fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), and very late in the disease serious eye inflammation and possibly central nervous system involvement. People rarely die from this illness, the main thing a person has to be worried about is quality of life. That why you want to be proactive, not scared. This disease can be managed if properly treated.

For about ten years I had the gential (genital) symptoms and was sure it was herpes. My doctors said there was nothing else it could be wvwn though all my cultures came back negative and never mentioned it again. None of the medication for herpes had ever helped me and I also noticed my husband never got sick from me. The inflammation was the worst and I was using hydrocortisone on my own by then for some relief.

I started having other symptoms like irritable bowel syndrome and fatigue. Then after I had two children my symptoms got a lot worse. FIbromyalga (fibromyalgia), Interstitial Cystitis, Epi-scleritis (inflammation of the small blood vessels in my eyes), and things like that. My immune system was attacking my body. It took years before I had enough symptoms and saw enough doctors to start getting it treated. They are still not totally sure what is wrong with me. There is a lot of misconceptions about these things because they are thought to be rare. The truth is that they are just highly under treated in the United States. They think I have something called Behcet's Syndrome, the world's oldest known disease. It is an autoimmune disease that can be very mild or more severe. It is hard to tell what it is unless you are able to get enough of the symptoms well documented and you have just the right symptoms even though your symptoms might be totally different than everyone else's symptoms. The stress in your life plays a big role in how bad your flares will be.

There are no tests that can tell if you have Behcet's. It is based on symptoms only. Vaginal symptoms that look like herpes (herpes causes inflammation, cuts, or sores), canker sores in the mouth at least three times per year, and inflammation in the blood vessels in the eyes. It can take years for enough of the symptoms to show up and they usually don't show up at the same time. You really need to fight for answers. Go to the American Behcet's Association for more information, but remember when you are there, those are the worst cases, most people with Behcet's don't have it that severe and do well with treatment.

I don't have an offical Behcet's Syndrome diagnosis yet is because I have yet to have any serious organ damage documented, which can actually be really hard to do. Not everyone has to wait as long as I have been waiting. A lot of the time small damage from tissue and blood vessel inflammation can not be seen by any tests. Often, surgery is required for them to find vasculitis. That is how they found vasculitis in me during surgery looking for endometriosis. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't still be waiting to start treatment. I am lucky because my symptoms have not been as serious as some, but it has also been a big problem because I have been suffering greatly and not gotten the help I needed many times. Most of my symptoms cannot be seen and it's been very hard to prove that something is wrong.  I have had to fight back against people thinking this was all in my mind. I have had to find a medical cause for my symptoms on my own and a lot of time was wasted because it came on over a long period of time. Only one of the hundreds of doctors I've seen had ever even heard of Behcet's Syndrome, he was a GI doctor. They do not look for it. One doctor, my Rheumatologist, told me he didn't even believe it existed. This disease is very real. It's treated all over the world, but most American doctors no nothing about it. They do not know the symptoms or how to treat it. They rely on old information and still think it only happens to people in the middle east even though research has shown it happens because something has damaged the immune system and not because of your genes. It does not run in families and it is not always a text book case. You would think it would show up on MRI's, but often with Behcet't it's the very smallest blood vessels involved, and those don't show up most of the time. It takes a big incident for them to see it and prove that you have it . American doctors don't want to be liable for treating anything until they have enough medical proof to be sure that you require the treatment. It is not easy to get that far. For us, it is more important to get the treatment before something bad happens, not afterwards. I have all the symptoms and I am being treated with immune suppressants and I have had several doctors diagnosis my symptoms as Behcet's Syndrome, but with this disease the ultimate decision is up to the Rheumatologist. My rheumatologist says it shouldn't matter if I have an official diagnosis as long as it is being treated. He says he is more concerned right now that I will lose my ability to qualify for insurance once I have a diagnosis. One thing to look for as far as tests are concern would be a a slighly high white blood cell count...your nerophils mainly, but others white cells also. It could mean just that you aren't feeling well at the time to have it be a little high, but if you can gather your records and show that you have an on going problem with a high white blood cell count, that would be a first step in showing your doctors something is not normal.

One more thing....I've seen over twenty GYN's as well as other doctors and I did my own research on the possible causes for the inflammation and for the cuts some people with Behcet's Syndrome get. I can tell you from what I have learned  that these symptoms are not caused by any type of HPV. They also would not be caused by Herpes 1 in people with no other apparent serious health problems like HIV. Bacterial Vaginosis and Yeast Infections may cause inflammation and small cracks in the folds of the skin, they do not cause cuts in center areas of the skin, and they heal without reoccurance once the infection is treated. An anal fissure can sometimes occur in the center area of the pernium (between the front and back) because of straining or constipation. Unless you have developed more than one cut at a time at some point, or have developed cuts in different areas of the genitals other than the pernium, a pernium cut may just be a fissure. An anal fissure would be a single cut that keeps happening in the same place over and over again on in the center of the pernium. An anal fissure is caused by repeatedly tearing open the thin skin in that area from straining. Not like the small cuts that just happen for no reason the way they happen with the Herpes Simplex Virus and Behcet's Syndrome. I have one cut the comes back over and over again on my pernium area, but I also get cuts in other areas from time to time aswell along with severe inflammation. All of my hormone levels are normal. Those are the only things I've found that could be the possible causes for these symptoms. Just having the inflammation is a symptom, not everyone get's the little cuts. Not everyone get's full blown Behcet's either. If you take good care of yourself, you can do really well.

I wanted to add I have herpes 1. Just about everyone has it. It should not be causing your symptoms unless something is wrong with your immune system. I had the new herpes blood test that showed I have herpes 1 but not herpes 2. We started doing culture after culture of my cuts trying to see if it was herpes 1. I have never had a culture come back positive for anything. It took a long time to prove it, but we have finally established my cuts are not caused by herpes 1. Herpes 1 is much milder than herpes 2 and should not be causing ongoing vaginal symptoms. If it is, it still says something is wrong with your immune system. The white blood cells were the only thing they could find abnormal with my tests. They found them in my blood and in my cultures every time I wasn't feeling good. For years they would say, well that's because you're not feeling well today. Until I gathered 15 years of records showing that I am not feeling well on a regular basis, that was the first clue.

Folliculitis is the medical name for the boils everyone is talking about. It is not normal. Unless you have some sort of untreated bacterial infection, it shouldn't be happening. Folliculitis for no known cause is a symptom of an autoimmune disorder.

The real reason no one is getting treated for this is all about money. It would cost a lot to treat us, and they also are worried about liability and that having us around makes their jobs a lot more difficult. We force them to go beyond their routine,  beyond what has ever been expected of them. There are nasty little secrets the medical community has ignored, mainly when it comes to enviromental toxins, for many many years. So they only end up treating the one's who are pretty much dying and they have no choice and they tell us how very rare it is and that was why it took them so long to figure it out.
Im Pregnant...Both of my labia are quite swollen, as is my clitoris. I really don't know what this is. Its not so much painful as uncomfortable... Im thinking that it might be a yeast infection due to information I have read above. I have swelling,... Redness, and a slight burning sensation when I urinate... Is that what it sounds like to any of you?
Pregnancy causes our hormone levels to change. You may have a yeast infection, that's what it sounds like, or it is all just hormones. See your doctor to make sure. These things happen when you're pregnant, what we are talking about is these things happening when the hormone levels are normal, we're not pregnant, and we don't have a yeast infection. Our problems are with on-going inflammation. So you don't have to worry, everything sounds fine with you.
Also have them check for a bladder infection. It is possble that pregnancy can trigger immune disorders so keep an eye out for any on-going inflammatory problems with no known cause. Make sure your doctor see these symptoms whenever they occur.
What ever this problem is, I do wish someone will come out with a name that when these symptoms occur one would know what "in the name of health" is going on!
I have had this re-occur and re-occur at least 2-4 times a year. It is always the right labia minor (upper) or is it majora? what ever and which ever it is very uncomfortable especially when it seems to be chronic!!! A cure would be nice!!!
Today, I am hurting. It is the same thing and it has seem to come to a head when I apply heat. It is not as big as a golf ball or nothing like that (which I can not imagine because I would be running to the hospital!) I will say it is about the size of a nickel in diameter and length. It is my labia!!! It is hard to say if it is a cyst!! However before an onset, my glands swell or lymph nodes in my inner groin area. What is up with this? I have no clue. I also didn't realize so many experience this discomfort and it just gives me another thing to pray for. Besides, we are in this thing together and I hate to think anyone is experiencing the discomfort when urinating and just walking in general.
I can relate, though, and hopefully soon this will be over. I suspect 5-7 more days (since my skin has broke and the circle that reveals the cracked skin is white...maybe because I have been using salt treatment) BY THE WAY I DO NOT recommend that if you are pain intolerant!!! I hurts like the ;'.[],;l';',.!@#$#$@$    Catch my drift? Still, I heard that salt heals everything!!!
In the past, it healed quicker, but now it is taking longer. I guess the the I have gotten immune, but seriously, in the past it worked and would be gone in 2-3 days. It has been 3 days so far and I am loathing this mess!!!!  GOD PLEASE MANIFEST HEALING TO THE BODIES OF US SUFFERING WOMEN IN JESUS NAME!!!!
haha.  your post thingy makes me laugh.  it's veryyy intense.  i'm sure i would be just as intense, had i been in that situation.
i have the same thing as search_re...i think?  one of the labia things is swollen like twice the size as normal, and there are 2 tinyyy painful bumps on the one swollen side.  painful.  i've been reading these message board things like all day, and most of them say that poking with sharp object helps.  so i figured i would take a hot bath, and start stabbing.  i'm too much of a chicken to do that!  as soon as the pain from the stabbing exceeds the pain of the bumps in general, i cant stab anymore.
i've had it for like 3 days, i think it was from shaving.  some people mention that nutrition and immune system have something to do with it too.  i think my immune system is crashing because i'm not getting enough sleep or the right kind of food because i'm always out.  aaand i've had a minor fever for like 4 days now.

my point-what can i do to make the pain from the bumps go away without exceeding the pain i'm already feeling?!
whyyy must the only way to make the pain go away is to make there be more pain?!
Mine started a week ago. I googled everything & diagnosed myself with a bartholin cyst, when I went to the dr yesterday, he said it is on the minora, not majora, meaning; not a bartholin cyst. I was referred to a GYN who said it is a normal skin abscess. He was going to drain it under general anesthesia but decided to wait one more day. This morning, it felt a bit better but by the end of the day it hurt to walk again and I was now itching (probably a yeast infection from the DR's poking and prodding) I went back to the GYN who said it was no yeast infection, everything looks fine and the abscess is smaller.
Maybe he didnt remember me but my abscess has doubled in size since yesterday. It now burns when I pee. I have been doing sitz baths since I discovered it and nothing is working.
He said antibiotics wont help.
Please Please Please just cut the damn thing.
i had also a swollen labia minor, when i touch it it hurts a little bit, it's not the size of any ball you mention, it's just like a pimple but it's inside the skin and it doesn't look like a pimple. i don't have a problem urinating, it's just bothering me when my pants touch it sometimes everytime i move. but nothing serious. it's just swollen and it got bigger from the last time i noticed.please help
Ew this is so gross but my right labia minora is about 3 times larger than the other side. It doesn't hurt or anything but its just really embarrassing. There is NO way I could tell my parents, its way too embarrassing. Is it normal? What do I do?
So I have been researching this alot this evening.  I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago, but the swelling went down fast and I forgot about it.  It then came back and it had been about 3-4 days now that I had it.  Thankfully it was never painful, it never hurt to pee, and it was not huge like a golfball.  But I read that it may pop... So I know it's gross.. But I went back and checked it out.. Saw a small white head, and was like **** it so I squeezed.. And sure enough a bunch of puss and a bit of blood came out.. It feels alot better now, but we will see what will happen next and how it heals..
I have a daughter that is 12 years old and has an enlarged labia. She says it is uncomfortable.  What should I do?
I'm seventeen and I have a slight swelling on my clitoris & my right labia minora. It doesn't hurt but I'm worried. I need help.
ANSWER TO ALL:

Hey this has happened to me a few times and when I asked my gyno about it, she said that it was probably either too much friction without enough lubrication during sex (for which a warm bath and/or an ice pack, cotton underwear, and time would help) OR an infection (for which a warm bath is the worst thing to use and an icepack would help, but you need to see the dr if it is an infection to get antibiotics because it can get worse). Also, I heard that the infection that causes this is very common in pregnant women because of your hormones going crazy. Hope I helped!
hey girls
my labia started getting pretty itchy for the past few weeks
so i put some creams on it, which helped for a while ..
but last night i developed a quite large swelling in my right uppper labia
and when i woke this morning i discovered instead of going away as i had hoped, it was actually bigger!!
after reading some posts on the net, i discovered that most of them pop after a while, as the swellings are just filled with liquid/puss ..
at first i was quite disgusted, but after reading some more, it said they go away after they are drained??!?!?
a sharp pin, and several tissues later, my labia is back to a somewhat normal size ..
didnt hurt, because the skin was so tight all it needed was a tiny ***** ..
probably not the best idea if you have very little pain tolerance, because you are probably in enough pain already ..
but my pain is almost disappeared, and im glad i did it
oh, and btw, remember to sterilise the pin first!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and also, because the pin pricks are so miniscule, they dont even need time to heal, theyr already gone ..
no pain whatsoever now!! :)
i can finally sit down, and walk again!!
anyways, probably not the best solution for everyone, but its worth a try, because it has worked wonders for me .. *phew*
good luck girls, and i hope this helps a bit ..
Yeah I need help, I didn't get my period yet, but my labia Minora is swollen... It doesn't hurt at all, but its like 2 times bigger than the non swollen one. Its so annoying though, it started like a few months back. Can anyone help?
hi,

i am a 23 yo female with no history of serious medical conditions. 6 years ago i experienced an "athletic" injury, specifically to my left labia minora. i literally felt a snapping sensation while running during a track meet. the sensation never spread or got inflammed but the pain was agonizing. at first i was told it was my hamstring, which of course it was not.  the pain intensified to the point of debiliation. i iced it and massaged it, which caused it to be enlarged to the point of it hanging (grossily might i add) approximately one inch past my outter lips. in addition to to the pain arising from initial injury, i also experience the discomfort/embarassment that stemmed from this in my everyday life, from wearing fitting clothes right down to the emotional trauma resulting from this condition. while the pain has decreased over the years, it has never completely gone away, and will flare whenever the area is engorged or blood flow increases. i have seen several gyns and did extended online research, but i have never been able to determine what this condition is. i have also had a history of bartholin cysts (i will undergo a surgical procedure this month to remove the glands completely because of the pain and the frequency of occurance). they are reoccuring and extremly painful. when i experience this condition, the added pressure causes the pain (which is now centered on the tip of the labia minora) to become UNBEARABLE!!! i don't know what to do. i am constantly on pain killers, which dull the pain, but never eradicate. i am left to wonder if a surgical removal of the area will eliminate this problem(labiaplasty, although is this purely a cosmetic procedure?). if you have any information, please please help me. thank you.
hi my names Danny and i need some help.
Over the last 6 months I have had a severe urge to urinate ALL the time. Doctors have prescriped med's for urinary tract infections and antibiotics but nothing has helped. Now over the last month both labium minora's are extremely swollen and have lost all elasticity (starting with the left and now both) I have also been suffering from sever heartburn/acid reflux. im not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also have completely lost my sex drive due to needing to urinate during.
please let me know if u have any ideas!
thankyou
Have any of you tried Ibuprofen.  I had this same thing, and the IBU took the swelling away in a few days.  I always keep 800mg IBU for my hell-a-ish periods, and so tried it for the swelling and it worked
Hi im having a swelling on my right labia minora, it is getting bigger and hurts ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! ALOT ALOT ALOT!!!!! i went to a gyno and she was also very surprised, and she said its an allergic reaction....so now im on antibiotics, this steriod things, and benedryl...the pain has gone down alot...i still cant walk normally though!!! the labia minora being swollen this big scares me alot....i hope i get better, and i hope you guys get better too!!! Icepack really helps, and keeps the pain away....but the swelling doesnt look like it went down much!!! idk what else to do...im kinda scared!!
I am a 50 yr. old married Grandmum who just this year(2009) has had a similar condition more times than I can count. It is always on the outside of the inside of the upper left labia. One of two things occurs. Either the tissue gets very red and swollen and will bleed small amounts for days or a whitehead type pimple forms along with the swelling and pain and will eventually pop and drain pus and blood. I have never had this before until this year and can't figure out what this is. I did go from July until now without any problems and thought thank goodness this might be behind me but no here it goes again. I have not been to a Gynocologist since my hysterectomy 9 yrs. ago. Do any medical people ever respond to our questions/concerns on this site?
I've had this problem for about a year now where my right upper labia minora would swell. It used to only occur after sexual intercourse which i would imagine is completely do to friction. However, for the past week i have not engaged in sexual intercourse and it has remained swollen and painful and just continued to get worst as the days progressed. I literally got back from the doctor about an hour ago, it turns out to be a cyst, they are fairly common. Treatment involves antibiotics as well as an anti-inflammatory for smaller cysts. For larger cysts they will make an incision to drain the pus and fluid. Its nothing to worry about, just uncomfortable and embarrassing. Hopefully this has helped some of you ladies.
PLEASE READ THIS WILL HELP YOU
Hello, I had to post,
First if you can, GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Second I have been suffering from this swelling problem since the summer 2009. It is so frustrating. It all started when I had sex the condom got stuck inside of me for a week, I didn't know, It feel out a week later, I was bleeding and everything, The bleeding stopped and everything seemed fine, I thought I was fine not realizing I probably had an infection...after returning to nj from miami I ended up having sex for 4 hours, its like he just wouldn't ***, and he was really wild with his strokes, the next day my ***** swelled up sooo bad it hurt to walk I was so scared, I went to the doctor and had it drained, it went away, I got too excited and had sex again to soon, it swelled up again, I had to have it drained again,, I probably had it drained three times in total. and then it went away for a very long time and HASN'T COME BACK, this is what I recommend for the healing process, HOT WARM CLOTH as many times a day as you can it truly reduces the size because the blood starts flowing and opens up the blockage, NO ICE NO ICE NO ICE NO ICE NO HEATING PACKS NO HEATING PACK(i find it irritates the skin makes it WORSE!!)  SIMPLY A HOT wet WASH COTH WILL DO, A COLD WET CLOTH IS OKAY TOO IF IT MAKEs U FELL BETTER< BUT NO ICE, ALSO Sitz baths HOT WATER not too hot don't want to burn but as hot as u can stand will keep it clean/reduce swelling. Sit for 30 min @the most, PAT DRY AND APPLY SOME NEOSPORIN it WILL TAKE AWAY SKIN IRRITATION AND REDUCE SWELLING, also DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN. If it hurts u are infected, and you really need to cleanse your system I promise you WATER will help things come along faster!!! and if you can get some antibiotics from your doc, take that it will take the bacteria infection away and the swelling may go away especially any pain you may have, the antibiotics may cause a yeast infection, so you might want to get MONISTAT 7 ok? After you are healed WAIT  WAIT WAIT as long as possible to have SEX AGAIN. When you do have sex, make sure you are nice and wet so the **** can glide in and out smoothly so you can be swell free, TELL YOUR PARTNER TO BE GENTLE, YOUR ***** IS NO LONGER THE SAME U CAN"T HANDLE ALL THAT POUNDING ANYMORE. There are ways to permantly remove this problem, if its big enough your doctor can "lens" it take it out all together, until then it could be chronic, but follow my directions and you will be just fine, and remember don't even trip, its not that serious, just a lil swollen *****..
I'm 21. About a week ago I developed a hard bump on the upper left side of the labia minora. I've had a cyst near this area before that eventually popped, but never was this big. It's equally bothersome, but when I squeeze it it's as if it has no where to go. I seems pretty deep in the skin. I tried pricking it with a needle with no avail. Two days ago I had a lot of vomiting and I'm still extremely nauseaus, which could be linked to a large amount of stress this last week at work and I have generalized anxiety disorder that I haven't been medicating for about 4 years. I started my period this morning on time (I cycle about every 24 days.) I've always had extremely crippling menstrual cramps as well. I have no health insurance, and I need answers. Mom doesn't always have the answers I need.

its sounds embarrassing but i need a woman's advice,,im 26 years old now ,last 16 years ago i accidentally bump my vagina into a saddle seat area of a bicycle when i tried to sat on it, it is so painful and it bleeds and i noticed my  labium has swollen,,i dont want to tell my mom coz i felt so stupid,,but now  im so bothered because it doesnt look normal,and the color of it is some kinda brown/gray.
i dont know what to do, will i do the hot warm bath too??
before i consult a doctor can i possibly know your opinion?what it is?
by the way my menstrual is normal..its  just the labium size that i worried about,

pls help me

thanks
I am HIV+, and end stage renal disease. Lately I have been getting these very bad outbreaks that if not treated will last for MONTHS! I have seen my GYN Doctor and my infectious disease doctor and neither one of them have been able to treat me adequately. I've taken Acyclovir, Valtrex, Foscarnet, and some kind of cream. All of these med are for treating herpes, but I just received my lab result saying it is not herpes... what can it be and who else can I turn to. These are the symptoms: It is on my labia, redish, itching, raised, rash like, bleeding, constant fluid coming out of lesion with a mucus build up in a matter of seconds on going for over 2 to 3 months. My left outer labia is hard the right inner labia is not, but they both have the same symptoms. Can you help me please!!
hey I have had my left labia swollen for sometime now, it itches and is a little irritateing but dosnt hurt. Im on the younger side so i have been a little nervouse to see my physian, I went to a walk in once but the waiting time was so long i ended up leaving. I also have minor bleeding after intercorse sometimes which makes me alot more nervouse. Any ideas?
Itching, irritation, swelling to labia may be as benign as dermatitis. This is often related to contact with irritating substances/objects (tampons, pads/pantyliner...esp. those with perfumes, colored TP, non cotton panties, tight clothing, deodorants/soaps/detergents/dryer sheets used during laundry, lubricants or condoms...etc.) stick with unscented hygeine products, white TP, never douche, use plain KY brand lubricant, and polyurithane or lamb skin condoms if latex sensitive. Chose condoms without nonoxy-9(spermacide...unless of course the risk of pregnany outweighs the benefit and BCP are not being utilized)
NOTE: latex condoms provide the best protection against pregnancy and STDs like HIV.
The vaginal bleeding post-coitus could be a related symptom as well. The irritation from intercourse combined with the already irritated skin may be the cause.
Conversely, these symptoms could be related to a vaginitis (yeast, BV, Trichimonas). Yeast often irritates the outer skin, especially in those with DM or other disorders that cause glucosuria, and in those who sweat alot or have excess moisture in the perineal area, which allows fungus/yeasts to overgrow. The skin may be reddened, itchy/burning, and generally irritated without symptoms of vaginal discharge or the text-book curdled, thick white discharge in the presence of cutaneous yeast. This would also account for post-coital bleeding.
In my experience however, you should be screened by a physician to rule out a more significant problem, such as trichimoniasis "trich" with is almost always considered a STD. This may have minimal to no symptoms or cause itching that is worse around menstruation. This is often associated with yellowish discharge tinged with blood, or vaginal spotting. This is contagious but simple to treat and recurrent unless both partners are treated and remain abstinent for 7days during treatment.
NOTE; unless pregnant, recurrent yeast infections, even just skin infection, may be a sign of an underlying condition and should be followed-up on and NOT repeatedly self-treated.

hi,

i am suffering from swelling of the labia minora, both sides, they are hanging lower and are quite bigger than normal, when i touch them the skin feels tough and it hurts to kind of put pressure on them, it is uncomfortable to walk, i feel better sitting with my legs apart, they are both just as swollen as each other.. i definately dont think that it is pimple like or cyst like etc, it honestly just feels very swollen and a fair bit painful. i did have sex last night and my partner came inside me, i also fell asleep after without cleansing, this morning as soon as i woke up i had a shower, i was also a hell of a lot tighter during sex than normal.. basically.. its swollen, it hurts, i am a little bit worried and i dont know whats wrong, if anyone can relate or give me an idea as what it might be or what to do, it would be highly appreciated.

thank you.
I have had nothing but vaginal problems my entire life. I'm now 23, obviously sexually active (and its great :) ) and I have been on/off with this specific partner the last 3+ years. It seems that once I got around 19 that I became very sensitive following intercourse on my labium minus. It seems over the years that if the area is at all dry in the least that this problem may occur. I never become swollen without intercourse, but I almost always feel like I have a yeast infection and am very sensitive to what panties I wear. These symptoms generally relieve on its own but its extremely uncomfortable, swollen on both sides (sometimes just the left) and the swell at first to a hard texture like a near solid balloon. It's almost funny when my partner and I look at it...and when I sent pictures to my friends we make fun of it and relate it to a red grapefruit. Besides the entertainment part, it takes usually a full day (unless I start my period all symptoms vanish immediately) to reside, and a couple weeks without any sex for the labium minus to shrink back to almost flat and a couple centimeters thick. I just want to be able to have intercourse for as long as I want and as often as I want, without this pain and discomfort. Just like the posts above, it is painful when I sit, urinate, wipe...although today is different because the one side almost has an additional bubble that seems filled and when I looked it has blood draining from it. ???? No doctor has ever been able to help me but I don't want it to turn my partner off...I mean, men's mind frames change completely when they see babies born, imagine 4 sides of a red grapefruit as a vagina... not cool.

Hope someone can help... thanks!
Hello all!

I'm so happy to have found this forum! This condition seems to be more common than most know! I'd like to share my personal experience with what I believe was a "Labial Abscess." There isn't much information concerning this condition on the internet, in fact, when I would google it, all that would come back was information about the Bartolin's cyst. This is also a very common condition, however, my symptoms didn't fit that diagnosis! My situation began about a week ago with a painful swelling on my clitoral hood. I just figured that I do the regular home remedy of soaking and applying various creams ie. 1% hydrocortisone, vaseline, zinc oxide (desitin for diaper rash). DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS!  I then read someone's home remedy for a bartolins cyst and applied that to my problem. STUPID, but at the time, that's what I assumed I had! So I applied a mixture of calamine lotion, tea tree oil, and witch hazel which caused my situation to flare up even worse! All of these remedies caused this abscess to eventually grow to the size of a golf ball! Well to make a long story short, I was in EXCRUCIATING pain, especially when the abscess grew larger each day. Unfortunately for me, all of this was happening during the weekend and no one was available to help me except the ER. I even called the OBGYN's emergency doctor on call at the same hospital that I would eventually end up at. He told me to go to the ER. Gee Thanks. So I went and had to be wheeled in a wheelchair by my sweet and patient husband because by that time I couldn't walk!  I was so embarrassed, but at that point I didn't care. Once I got to the ER, I had already prepped myself for what might happen, since I had done my research. I really didn't want the drainage procedure, but if there was an OBGYN there that knew what to do, I was going to get this pain handled!   After waiting for hours, a female doctor finally came in and told me that she needed to get another opinion on my condition and that she would try to get someone from OBGYN to check me. She also informed us that she had NOT done a drainage procedure on such a sensitive area before so someone else would be doing it. After waiting another hour, another female doctor came in and checked me and told the first doctor that I just needed a "POKE." I felt okay because I figured this doctor knew what she was talking about and would probably be the one doing my procedure. WRONG! After another hour and watching a nurse set up a table with all of the tools needed to do the drainage procedure, the original doctor walks in and begins to prepare to begin. "Blank Stare!" My husband spoke up and asked her if she was going to be performing the procedure and she said yes! He repeated to her what she had said to us earlier about she not being comfortable with doing this type of procedure. She turned red and said that she was just going to do the same thing that she does on other abscesses! "RED FLAG" to run out of the door! So I chime in and ask her if this was my last resort and to my surprise she said no! She told me that if I could stand the pain for another day until I could get to an OBGYN that Monday, that I could take a stronger pain med like vicodin or maybe the abscess would burst on its own! The look of relief on her face was priceless when I told her that I would take the latter option and just fight it out! My husband even noticed her face and said that she really didn't want to do the procedure. Now ladies, before you choose this option, you MUST be ready for some major pain. However, in the end, like childbirth, lol, it will all be worth it! I decided to continue with warm sitz baths and ice compresses! This WORKS no matter what anyone else says. The ice pack is what made mine burst on its own! You will also NEED vicodin every 4 hours until the abscess pops. When it finally happens, you will have instantaneous RELIEF! And yes, it will STINK to high heaven, but by that time you wont even care! At the end of the day, I feel blessed that I didn't have to have the drainage procedure because I have read nothing but horror stories! It has only been 1 day since my abscess burst and I feel so good. I can actually walk normally with minimal pain, so minimal that I completely stopped taking the vicodin. My wound feels completely drained and looks like its healing nicely! I continue to take the sitz baths and keep the area cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and warm water. This seems to promote healing also. I hope that my story will help someone because it definitely would have helped me! I will continue to look into natural prevention methods for this condition because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! If anyone has fully recovered from a similar situation such as mine, please post your results. I will definitely return to this forum and post my recovery story! Thanks for reading and God Bless all of you who have had to endure this type of pain!

Sincerely,
Kat
y'all I'm scared. my vagina is swollen and it burns :( I'm fifteen and don't know what to do. it was after my bf.. fingered me. it's been like this for a day. plzzz help!
I FOUND THE ANSWER i am 17 i have a son and have the same exact problems i searched Google and one condition came up it is called vulvovaginitis search it to find your exact reason for acquiring this
I have a swelling on my inner labia. Ive had mine 18 mths now and I did the usual internet searches and found Batholins Cyst. Assumed it was that and tried all the remedies suggested all too no avail. I then found I was pregnant again. My initial embarrassment was halted whilst I considered would I be able too deliver my baby naturally with this "cyst" in place. I went to my gp who referred me in record sped too an OBGYN and I was seen a few days ago. I wont lie and say it was pleasant, cos it was damn uncomfortable and embarrassing. She had to get another opinion which sent me into a head spin about what the hell it would be. The fantastic Dr then informed me it was a Labia Minor Cyst, although quite uncommon, they do occur. Like getting an abscess on your finger, it can just "happen" sometimes. So now they are "monitoring" it. Yes I get uncomfortable in the evenings as it has obviously gotten slightly bigger during the day, but so do peoples feet. Its just your body. Anyway, please, go see your GPs/Dr. I know its highly embarrassing but its worth it in the long run. My Obgyn is going too surgically remove the entire gland 12 weeks after my baby is born !! Yes probably be a little sore afterwards, but nothing compared to what it is at the moment. I do so hope all you ladies get your sorted out too. I wish you all pain free times ahead.
i have also a problem about in my minor labia..how should i get this..its not a pimple..its bigger than a pimple..i already consult to my doctor..and she said that nothing to worry about it..the first treatment she gave me was to freak or aspirate thats the term i gues..the result is there is a mucos inside like sip-on daw..she advice me to put some ointment..but still now it didnt work..it still there in my minor labia..please help.!!!
hello
im 6 weeks pregg :) and something horrible happend to me....i started feeling a bit of pain down there it was on my ledt side of the labia was like this or 5 days until my doc appt today friday i had a kinda small ball that hurt like S...T!!!! it got to the point where i could't even sit nor walk or take care of my & month bby so today when my dc took a look she right away knew it was a cyst with some kind of abcess (abscess) or something like that well here comes the horrible part. she cut the cyst the it was horrible the worst part was the numing that really hurt the with a knofe she did an cross and took out all the puss and fluid that was acumulated ther i didnt feel anything i didnt felll the cutting but what hurts is the numing and after it goes away oh i did feel wen they have to clean it like from the inside and they have to leave it open so it can close by itself because it can come again> right knows im in pain laying down and i have to go tomorrow so they can chafe the cloths it can take up to a month or less to close
hi my right libia minora is also swollen.it irritates like hell.it hard yes but idk what to do about it.ive been avoiding having sex with my husband since saturday which was the day that it came up.somebody please help me because im freaking out over here plz.
im 17 and have had unprotected sex for 15-30 seconds and got a small ulcer looking thing that went away not too much pain. 6 or 7 months later now i have just gotten strep throat, and then 2 days later a little pain and then another ***** looking blister day 2 of blister and the left side of my labia is swelled what should i do i asked my mom and she said it would not be herpes im fine is she just not wanting to look into it or what??? HELP please
I have thread-like strands coming out of my swollen left labia.  Does anyone else have this symptom?
Right now, i am in soooo much pain from this cyst on my left labia, it hurts to walk, sit, lay down.  I don't have a job or med. ins.  but i think my BF is gonna poke it with a sterile needle and see if stuff comes out.  It is just red and swollen, no pimple like abcesses, but it sure hurts to do anything.  I am in so much pain.  I don't think that I will be able to stand him poking it with a needle, as i squeezed it a little this morn. and just about passed out.  
What works for me is,  apply lots of vaseline on it (excess vaseline-i think somehow sooths the swelling,)..And drink lots and lots of water...it works....
to prevent future swelling, when you have your period just make sure the labia area is not dry ( apply vaseline) and drink water...i think blood irritates the skin..

.Cold/hot compression or aloe vera  didn't help me at all.. excess Vaseline and lots of water together with patience does the trick..  ...
never poke it....
I woke up this morning having to urinate. (as usual)
I went to my laptop to check my facebook first. Uncomfortably, I swayed back an forth so I wouldnt pee my pants, but then I felt pain. I was curious, I i reached my hand into my pants and felt a strange bulge on my Labia minor.
I took off my pants, and grabbed my camera to get a clearer image of it to see if it was bleeding, or cut or somethig, seeing as it was obviously HUGE. So I got worried when I was the pictures there was no blood. Just one huge side.
I really dont know what to do. I dont know if this was cause from friction or what. I told my mom and she suggested I put yeast infection cream on it, so I did. The pain eased a bit, and now im still worried about this. I researched a  bunch and a lot of sites said it was a yeast infection. I figured it happened when my fiance and I showed and he put soap IN me. :/ Or maybe an ingrown hair...
But... then I was reading all these and they say cyst!
Ive been perfectly healthy down there... til this!
Help me?
Can anyone tell me what to do?? I have the same thing and it hurts like hell. I am crying all night because it hurt every position I take. Never had sex, not even shaving, please help, tell me what this thing is and what to do to ease the pain and eliminate the swelling.. Please
If it hurts to pee, try peeing thru a toliet paper tube of funnel to direct the urine stream away from any raw area.  Yes Ive had the cyst, a dew but now Have something about 1/2 inch long and the whole circumference of the labia majora cross from the clit, up highter than ever.  It hurts like crazy.  I don't think it's herpes and the advise nurse advised, ice, pain meds, baths, heat.  It's hard to see with a mirror and flashlight. It just cant't go away fast enough.  It hurts to sit.  At first I thought one of the folds was twisted somehow around the urethia but there is no pain so this time the area is not open or raw.  Thank goodness.  I'll hit the dr. tomorrow.
So hopefully someone can help me out with this. I had a snowboarding accident (minor) but unfortunately hit my vagina which was very painful! Worse than any guy getting kicked in the testicles I swear! But anyways my right labia became very very swollen and developed a very dark bruise. It has been two weeks since it occurred and the majority of the swelling is gone as well as the bruise. Thought he problem is that on the bottom of my right labia it is still enlarged and hard... what does this mean? I'd rather not go to the doctor if I can help it as I live in a small town. I just cant imagine that they could do anything for me unless its actually a serious internal injury??? Please help me!!
hey guys
i just wanted to tell everyone about my situation and how i recovered from it !
well at first i din't even know what it was and whthr it was common or not!
hhmm..so i had this huge pimple like redish pink growth on my labia minora(at first i didn't even know what labia minora was)..was about not as big as a ball or something but it was considerably big ..it used to pain a lot whenever i used to sit or walk or did anything for that matter......it made it impossible for me to sleep !....i couldnt touch it as it used to pain ...and in my case it dint hurt or anything while urinating
well in short it used to hurt a lot and was growing bigger each day ..i had it for about 4-5 days
.....after like 5 days i told my mum and she laughed and said that its nothing to worry about
it is a very common thing in females and well you might have guessed that from the number of posts !.
i told her about the size so she did get a bit worried !.....but she to told me not to worry as it busts on its on and then heals too
but still we made a plan to go to the docs just to be sure.....but the same night it fortunately did burst and a lot of blood and pus came out
(people say that it smells a lot and everything but seriously ....it doesnt!..atleast it wasnt the same in my case .....and it happened when i was sleeping so it dindnt hurt , didn't even realise)
now i am sitting in front of my desk ....writing this note to all those girls and everyone out there who was/got worried as they were 1st tymerz at this ......now m happie to say that everything is fine .....the thing got burst and it still bleeds at sumtyms but am using a pad and my mum says that it will heal in about 3-4 days...it doesnt pain and the size reduced DRASTICALLY ......so dont worry .....as i knwo how it feels but you JUST HAVE TO WAIT........
AND DONT STICK PINS INTO THAT THING ...IT WILL ONLY HURT AND MAY MAKE IT EVEN WORSE !!!!!.......
i dint do it but my mum told me that.....and dont worry girls its just a matter of 4-5 days it will burst on its own...
and yeah m a 16 year old girl and i had it for the first time and hope for the last too.... :)
Hi there, Just to add in my experiences and solutions:

I had the same thing that most of you describe now. An enlarged, tender area on the labia minora (that's the inner labia or "inner petals"), that I thought was something that would go away on its own. It was just a cyst at first, well buried within the skin at the edge of the flap. After my period I commonly get a minor yeast infection, nothing that I medicate its only a little uncomfortable. But that cyst started getting irritated and hurting every time. And it kept getting bigger. For at least 16 weeks I sat and watched this thing get bigger every period/yeast infection. And it got more and more painful every time. Finally, it got so bad.. I was barely able to wear a pad (and it's a requirement for me) without it hurting, and I couldn't even sit up without it hurting horribly. I had to lay back with my legs spread around a pillow.

I went to Immediate Care and it was diagnosed as an abscess. It was immediately lanced. The lancing procedure hurt a lot (I'm very sensitive down there), and the silver nitrate burned like liquid fire, but the pain I had been enduring for months was instantly gone. I was put on 2 antibiotics (Flagyl and Levaquin) for 2 weeks. It healed and cleared up fine.

Don't sit and wait when it starts to hurt. DO NOT. If it's hurting you and/or is warm to the touch (IE infected), get an appt with your OB/GYN as soon as you can. The pain from the procedure is nothing compared to what you will sit through, and when they do burst they can spread the infection, and cause it to start all over again. I just started developing another one, and I'm going to the doc next week to get it taken care of while it's still small. Maybe it won't hurt as much.
Hey!
I had the same problem just went to the doctor because I was scared out of my mind
Apparently it is from a yeast infection
It swells for irritation and if you can go to a doctor or walk in they will give you a pap test to check and do a sample and I get the results if it is anything serious in 3 days!
If it has puss or is swollen for more than a week I suggest going to the doctor
But it is usually nothing to worry about just a big pain and discomfort
Hope I can help!
I have been to the doctor twice. So please do not say go to the doctor. At first my region itched. so i scratched. then I put goldbond powder for couple of days, made it worse, so i went the other way and did neosporen, made it worse again. The pee whole didnt burn. but when it touched the other skin it did. not bumps, just open sores, any how i went to the dr. he said it was a fungiinfection and a yeast. go me for self treating.lol. gave me ascript for the yeast told me to get zinc oxcide for the fugi, (i got desitin, it had more zinc oxcide) next day my hood was huge. quit using the desitin. ice packs,ibprofin, and salt baths DO NOT help, so went back to the dr. gave me two more scripts. wide spectim. guess what now my right labia is swollen also. o sores are like between my vagina and anas. does anyone know how to fix either swelling or sores?
my vagina started itching and within 5 minutes the labia minora swelled to triple the size. i am scared to even go to bed what is it???
I have been dealing with these nasty buggers for 25 years. Sometimes a hard center that eventually comes out which is usually the end of a 4 to 5 day session.  Sometimes just (sorry I hope I don't gross people out) yellow pus.  And there have been times where it is just clear.  The first time it was one of the hard size of a pin head deals.  I actually took the thing into my gyno he told me  it was no big deal.  So life went on and I continued to get them (it doesn't happen very often). The last time I spoke with a different gyno he basically said the same thing. These two conversations with Drs. were 20 years apart. So here I am once again with yet another one, and the help of the internet, I spent some time searching and I want to share with everyone what I found. This is not to say it is a solution but more like a direction to take if your symptoms seem to mimic the ones described in this link to the Mayo Clinic.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hidradenitis-suppurativa. Sadly it doesn't seem like there is a solution. But I was happy that the information does give some clue as to triggers and what doesn't contribute to it.  
http://www.hs-foundation.org    I saw this link that talked about some clinical trials.  It didn't sound like there was an answer but it is nice to know the buggers are real .  Hope this helps.
I had a swollen bartholins cyst on the left side (which if it a bartholins the swollen ball like form will be located just near the vaginal opening) after about a year i had surgery to marsupialize the gland ,which basically means cut it open and flip it inside out and stitch it to heal that way. In doing this should cause it to not return again. Then about a month or 2 after surgery i notice one start to build on the right side but this one was more elongated as if instead of being a ball shape near the opening it seem as it my inner right labia was swollen either as if fluid spread up the labia causing it to feel just like a fatty tissue. Since i lost my insurance for a little bit i held off on it till i thought it would enlarge but one day in pain i went to the emergency room. Now they didnt marsupialize it they just cut it open to drain as if it was a bartholins. They put a cathither in the incision to keep it open to drain but that night the cathither fell out. I waited to go to my follow up at the gyn 2 days later and she thought the swelling was from being cut open and it would just go down soon. It is now a few months later and i still seem to have the swelling only in my right inner labia nowhere near the bartholins gland area. I think the fluid (not infected) got caught inside the skin of the labia which is swollen and fatty like. Im waiting for my next appt with a different gyn to have another opinion of what may have happened during the course of the cathither falling out and the incision healing. If yours feel more like puss or thickness inside it may be an abcess (abscess) though. Hope this info could give u a little more insight from someone who was diagnosed with an actual bartholins gland cyst and had it taken care of. Now i just need to know what caused the swollen inner labia on the other side! I dont believe its an abcess (abscess) bc i have had one before.....
Hey ladies. If you have been experiencing this problem, please listen to this because I might have a solution. I have had this problem for almost a year now. The first time I started experiencing these I went to the gyno. She said that tears and lesions look just like herpes so she checked me and it came back negative. She said just to use alot of lubricant and make the lubricant water based. That helped for a little while. But for the past year, nothing helped. Even if my fiance' and I were being gentle, the outside of my vagina would be torn and very painful, even blood. Lately (the past 6 months), its gotten worse. The left side of my labia seems to get it the worse. It swells up and feels "raw", almost like a sunburn. and the skin would be very tender to the touch. It would hurt for 2 to 3 days after intercourse. It was awful and putting strain on my relationship. For the past 2 weeks my fiance' and I have been having wonderful sex with no pain whatsoever!!!!!  It is such a simple solution. Usually we have sex with me laying on my side and with my legs on his shoulders. But for the past 2 weeks we have been doing it missionary and regular cowgirl with no problems. It makes sense if you think about it. When you have sex laying on your side and especially with your legs on his shoulders, the way the penis goes in is tight against the bottom on your opening (which seems to be the problem for most of us here). But in missionary and cowgirl, the penis hardly even touches, if at all. If you picture the scenario in your head, itll be clearer. Although you still arent normal down at the bottom, atleast you can still have a good healthy sex life with your lover without the pain that goes along with it. Its a real turn off to know that "wow this is really about to hurt". that will never put you in the mood. Try this out and let me know how things go with you all! As always, allow you vagina time to heal before you start this. I waited one week since the last tear. Thank you for reading :)
Same symptoms in upper labia minor near clitoris there was a sudden burn and sharp pain during sex now its just a soft mass of fluid or swelling my bartholin cyst dissapeared in thinking it ruptured under the skin is that possible?
Hi all so here's my situation my two inner minora labias are swollen the size of my thumb BOTH There are no bumps just its swollen.. its hard Does hurt when I peed... (Burn stings) What could be the reason for the strange swell-en that occur in less than 3 mins??

About me I discharge as if my periods always on but its white creamy I assumed i do that because Im a very sexual person (in my mind) If i didnt know my period schedule I would always think my period just came on because of how I just flow... when i do flow the creamy white its like (***) you can say I never cared to find out why I discharge so much and some times my Vagina would be come a little itchy or irritated but last night i rubbed it a little to stop it from bothering me and checked out some pictures online bout "inner swollen labia" so when i seen the pictures I was like ok Im not on nobodys level on the internet BUT when  I looked down at my Vagina it gotten SWOLLEN (and this is my inner lips both of them... when i walk its touching my inner thighs so Im walking like a penguin now) I always felt little itch's down there throughout my years but for it to swell the way it is in less than 3-5 mins its crazy my opinion I probably irritated it more when I rubbed it to stop the itch I took pictures of it last night as a reminder to never rub it again....
Okay...so I am at a loss...and I am even a nurse!  I had a yeast infection (at least I think) in which the doc called in a prescription without seeing me since he knows me.  This was about a month or two ago.  Ever since then, I haven't felt quite right down in the vaginal area, especially in the upper inner side of labia majora.  Right where the folds separate.  I went 'exploring' today and found a small lump inside that area that is very very tender and painful, and slightly reddened.  I have gotten many cysts on the outer edges, in which the doc has excised in his office, but this is more inner, and I know he wouldn't do this one in the office if that is what it is.  Any thoughts?  I do the heat thing, as my hubby and I get in the hot tub every night for about an hour, I haven't been with anyone else in over 14 years, so it isn't an STD...I need help!
Behcet's Syndrome is very VERY rare.  Very few cases are even documented in the United States.
Hi ok I'm going threw a uti and I found some bumps around that area and I know its not a disesas but they and opened up and when I urinate it burns and its alittle bit swollen and sensitive I can't even wipe without cry I need help plz
I discover about 1 inch cut in my labia minora and I have no pus just redness and little pain during urination. I'm afraid to use any kind of lotion since is not dry and I'm very sensitive... Please help
What happen with your bump.  I have the same thing. My story sound just like yours.
I know this is an old discussion but I wanted to post anyway because I've had these probably 15 times over the last 13 years.  I am 33 years old and the first one came when I was 20.  I wasn't even sexually active then, so I was sure it wasn't an STD but got checked anyway.  I've had several of them examined by three different doctors, and all three said they were the result of bacteria getting under the skin somehow.  My obstetrician told me a Bartholyn's cyst is lower down and more toward the inside; these abscesses are outside the actual vaginal opening, and can be higher up or lower down on the labia.  Most of them are on the labia minora (the little labia), but they can appear on the inside of the labia majora.  It feels like a pea or a bb on the inside of the tissue, deep inside, and it's painful.

Here's what I've noticed about them.  This is just my personal experience, but pretty consistent with each one of these I've dealt with--

--They are slow to come to a head.  Sometimes it can be two weeks from the time you first feel something happening and the time it finally comes to a head and opens up.
--Hot compresses can speed this process up.  Put a cloth under very hot water and hold it on the abscess.  Do that a couple times a day but don't overdo it and irritate your skin or burn yourself with hot water.
--Once it finally comes to a head, it will open up and drain pus and blood.  It's disgusting, but once this happens it will heal quickly.
--Sometimes one will drain, you'll think it's gone, and then it doesn't go away because there's still stuff that needs to come out.  Use a hot compress so it'll come to another head and you can get the rest of it out.  
--It's important to clean yourself really well once it starts draining because you don't want the infection to get into a new site and cause a new abscess, but don't use antibacterial soap or any harsh soap down there or you could cause BV or a yeast infection.  (I did that too.  Yay.)
--I've noticed that I get them more when my diet is high in sugar and carbs.  Looking back, when I had them more frequently it was during a time when my diet wasn't great.  In fact, I was on a low sugar diet for two years and didn't have one the entire two years.  The last time I had one was the first day I started back on the low sugar diet.  The day before I started the diet, I binged on sweets, then suddenly had an abscess.  This one didn't take as long to resolve and wasn't as painful or large and didn't contain as much nasty stuff as most of the previous ones.  It's mostly a hunch, but I think it's because my sugar intake went down to next to nothing just as the abscess was forming.  There is some medical research on high sugar intake and the frequency of these.  You can Google it if you want more info.  

It has nothing to do with hygiene!  Everyone has bacteria on their body and sometimes it gets to places it shouldn't be.  If you're worried you have an STD you should certainly get checked out, but assuming we're talking about the same thing, it's not sexually transmitted.  I just thought I'd share my experience since this page is still searchable and these things can be disturbing.  
I have had these for years and have also had them checked by my gyno who insists that they are not herpes.  However they are spreadable as you mentioned so I never have intercourse until they are completely gone because they are too painful and I don't want to spread anything.  I think that from the posts that I have read that they are relatively common, and diet and hygiene are important, but don't prevent them.  They seem to be a way of the body releasing impurities.  I think that many physicians misdiagnose and prescribe creams, but hot baths seem to be the best way that I have  found them to come to the point where they burst and go away.  Keeping clean and washing my hands after touching there and wearing cotton underwear also help. They are not pleasant.
The top left side of my outter vagina lip is red and swollen I haven't noticed any irritations such as burning etc but when I went to have a look and a feel of it the skin broke causing minor bleeding ??? Any thoughts on what this could be and what has caused it  I am booked into see my doctor but not for two weeks help
I have was reading on the net that the bartlholin gland cyst can be caused from an STD, is this  true?
I had the same thing, except on the left side. It was pAinful and swollen for 2-3 days, I waited until a white head appeared, and then I popped it, a ton of puss and blood came out, the first initial "popping" of the "abscess" hurt but since then its not painful to wipe, sit, or walk...im keeping it clean with hibiclens from walmart and not messing with it, I also have MRSA, so I'm pretty sure that's what mine was, if you want to be 100% sure, have a PA at the hospital drain it and take a culture of the drainage...hope this helps
If it's more blood than puss, & the puss is more clear it could be Staph.  I work in surgery & have seen a lot of Staph, especially from Labial &/or Bartholin Cysts, etc.  The best thing to do, if it's intolerable & keeps recurring is to go see a physician & have them numb it, lance it, & culture some of the fluid.  While you're waiting on the results, the doctor should put you on antibiotics in case it is Staph, therefore hopefully killing the infectious bacteria.
This is for every lady out there that is looking up information on this site. May I first say I feel for you ALL what a horrible experience this has been.  My symptoms when I think back started about 12 days ago. I was laying in bed one night trying to fall asleep when suddenly I felt a crazy itchy feeling doen there. Strange and unusual as that was, it lasted only a few minutes and it never returned. Not certain if this is related to my condition now or not. For the entire week before my left Major labia started swelling I hadnt felt well, generally feeling sluggish with no energy. I had chalked this up to the fact that I had just come home from a weeks holiday in Mexico and my body was working off toxins and getting back to normal from all the late nights and alcohol which I normally only indulge in twice a year lol  exactly ten days after I returned home symtoms (symptoms) started. I first felt an ache that was kinda deep inside the lip area and seemed to run in the direction off my left leg. It only happened 3 or 4 times and wasnt painfull just unusual and the ache was sudden and only lasted seconds.  I ignored it because honestly Iam a busy person and couldnt see anything wrong visually so I said to myself what the hell and forgot about it. 5 days ago last Thursday I could feel a sore spot about the size of a small pea, I then thought oh oh because I have had a bump there ( I think cyst) that has been there for quite awhile but wasnt bothersome so I left that be. Maybe I should mention I have had cysts down there before so I wasnt overly concerned. I think they all were a result of an ingrown hair, they were higher up in the past and one was close to the crease of my leg. This is the first time I have had this on the lip. The pain was incredible, my left lip swelled up about an inch high all the way back towards the rectum and it was well over an inch wide. I could barely walk. All this swelling came very suddenly from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon I had an oblong egg shaped infection. The pressure was unreal. By Sunday afternoon I was at a medi clinic because I felt desperate for treatment and relief. I cant wait to tell you all what I was given and how well it is working!!!!  My Doctor prescribed 2 antibiotics because he was unsure what kind of an infection we were dealing with. He gave me Metronidazole 250 mg 2 tablets 3x a day as well as prescribed Apo-cephalex 500 mg  1 tablet 4x a day. I have now been on this medicine for 48 hours and have a 40% improvement. The swelling has much improved so Iam praying this is working. He wants me on both antibiotics for ten days. I will repost and let everyone know how I do but so far its looking very good in comparison to where I was. This is still very painful and as soon as Iam well enough I plan to research this, why this happens and do everything within my power to make sure I never go through this ever again. Horrible is putting it mildly.. So if you ever notice any of the symptoms I described earlier, like the unusual ache, small sore bump, RUN LIKE HELL to your doctor and get on an antibiotic fast because it dosnt go away on its own, and waiting to see if it would, has cost me two lost days at work which I could not afford and pain that is comparible to the intensity or nerve back pain or child birth. Best wishes to everyone. Hope I have helped someone posting this, its personal but when it comes to the girls club we all care to look after one another whenever we can.. Hugs
My problems started with the itching sensation about a week ago, I figured it was just a run of the mill yeast infection so began over the counter treatment for that which seemed to work. However, after having intercourse today the pain was super intense and after a few hours both sides had swollen up to like 2x the normal size. I have been alternating between cool and warm cloth. The coolness seems to relieve the pain the most, also been taking pain relievers and tried 2 benadryl to hopefully reduce the major swelling. This is very uncomfortable and I am scheduled to see my GYNO tomorrow. Will repost with any info he gives me.
Okay, My turn.
My bits, the inner labia, and around the vagina area, are itchy, painful, and throbbing.
I have never slept with anyone with a disease. This I'm sure of.
I'm 17, and this has been happening since last june.
I get so uncomfortably itchy, and painful.. Usually after I have sex. My boyfriend and I have just recently started banging, and every so often, I get friction burn type problems, this is different and it hasn't flared up in a while. It's unbearable, and I have no idea how long it will last. I don't know what it is, I don't know how to stop it, and my mom will jump to conclusions. She won't take me to a doctor. I have no idea what to do. This really f***ing *****.
there's no nasty discharge, no pain while urinating, and no bumps that I know of. It just looks a little swollen, and the skin around my vag area is (squiggly?) I don't know how to put it, it looks different than it used to. this is truly uncomfortable.
What do I do?
I just recovered from a possible uti, that I had to take care of by myself, is that what's causing this? help me please. :(
Try putting some antiseptic cream (not ointment with petroleum ) directly on it a couple of times a day.  It is sold OTC in drug stores and it will act as an antibacterial agent as well as soothe it because of the lidocaine.  You can also use a first aid solution with antibacerial properties and lidocaine for the pain.  When these sprout up in my case, I douse a cotton swab in Betadine or iodine solution and put it directly on the sucker.  After a few days, it dissipates.  It may last several days.  Gynos usually say to put hot compresses and sit in sitz baths, but how does one fit in a basin?  Most basins are too small so I need to look around for one of a proper size.

These abscesses are non-infectious, so you won't give it to your man, and your mom should be more understanding in this case, as you have an infection on your body for goodness sake.  

I am wondering if one wears panyliners and sweats, the liners' adhesive no longer sticks and it ends up chafing the area andthis may be the cause. It is probably from friction mixed with sweat, right?
hi.

i am 26 and i have got the same problem as many girls has.. i had 4 bumps since last 4 days on my major and minor labia with no head n they hurt like hell... i can not walk, sit properly.. one of them burst with puss and some blood. but the other 3 are irritating me like anything.. worst of worst is, when i felt them, i got my periods and they got more swollen.. plz somebody help me... i m too scared...
Hi, i have exactly the same thing! first i had a bartholin cyst, so i had marsipualization and it looked like everything healed fine. But then my left labia started to swell and it looked like it was filled wit fluid. First i thought the cyst was back but it just wasn't the same, exactly as you describe. I went to the gyn today and he maid an echo of it. He said it is not a bartholin cyst but he didnt want to risk draining it so i have to come back in two weeks because he thinks it will just dissapear. I dont think so because i have the swollen labia for a week now and it did not get better but just worse or the same. Did you find a solution for this ?
ok so ive had 1 baby and that was almost 2 yrs ago, since then ive gotten 3 lanced bartholin's abscess on my left side. my problem is that now it appears i would have another however, b4 it was much bigger, lower, and part of my vaginal wall, now, its the whole length of my labia, not as big but still uncomfortable and very noticeable. its also kind of hard, b4 it was more liquidy and doesn't puss or oose anything. ive also been experiencing chronic lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. i went to my ob doctor today and she said she didn't think it was a bartholin's abscess. she said it would just go away but on the contrary, ive had this now for 10 months and if anything its been increasing. she didn't want to Liston. she also said something about a hernia which doesn't make any sense. then she told me to go to another specialist because she couldn't do anything. said that its probably something to do with my bowels which again makes no sense. then i went to another ob doctor and he said it is a bartholin's abscess but said it was to small this time to lance it but its very irritating and is big after sex so i need to do something about it. he said something about having the gland removed and at this point im ready for it but then he told me the recovery time for it and then i wasn't so sure that's what i wanted to do especially if that's not what is really wrong with me. plus i don't believe that surgery is going to help my abdominal pain. so if there's any one out there who could help me please do. ive tried numerous medication including pain revilers, anti inflammatory's and antibiotics, cold and hot, and baths nothing worked