Swollen, red, irritated vulva/clitoris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Swollen, red, irritated vulva/clitoris

5 weeks ago I began to get a shooting pain from what seems like my clitoris or clitoral hood. It was intensified by walking, sitting, moving around, etc. After a week of it getting worse, I went to 2 different doctors (different days) - had 2 swabs and urine samples taken, both came back negative for a yeast infection and bladder infection. Got sent for a pelvic and abdominal ultrasound, which came back normal too.

Over the next week, the shooting pain gradually subsided and was replaced by a VERY swollen clitoris/hood (about 2-3x its normal size and swollen labia lips.

Over the next week, the shooting pain disappeared altogether, the swelling went down, and I got a brand new set of symptoms - burning in my vulva, labia lips, around the clitoral hood, etc. Went to visit doctor #3 and she said the area did look irritated, but she saw no signs of infection and suggested I change my soap incase I was having an allergic reaction.

Over the last week and a half, I cut out the soap entirely, and the burning became VERY bothersome and now my vulva and the area surrounding my clitoris/hood is VERY red and irritated. I noticed a whitish watery substance covering my vulva area, but I'm not sure if its discharge from my vagina or a reaction to the redness. Went to doctor #4 who gave me a prescription for a cream mixture for hyderm (anti-inflammatory incase its an allergy reaction) and clotrimaderm (anti-fungal incase its a yeast, even though both my yeast tests came back negative). I've been told that if it works, my symptoms should improve rapidly but continue using it for at least 7 days ... I'm on day 4 with no improvement, even slightly.

The symptoms have been changing and seem to come and go, get worse and get better, for a day or two, then get worse again, etc. It always seems to feel better when I wake up in the morning, but it's all so random.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm in pain and frustrated. I'm 26, in a monogamous relationship for the last 2.5 years and have never experienced anything like this.
Tags: irritable
This may or may not help you but I've had the same sharp needle like pains in the same area if I used certain toilet tissues. Some seem to have "dusty" particles that get caught around the clitoris and it hurts. I've actually switched to a very plain and cheap tissue that's not so soft but doesn't irritate those sensitive areas. Of course now you have to get all that inflammation under control first. But try a change in TP. (I'll mention this that Charmin, as soft as it is, was the worst offender for me).
Thank you for your suggestion.

I went back to doctor #5 today and she highly suspects I have lichen scleoris. Going to a dermatologist later this week for a biopsy and confirmation, plus some strong steriods to help..

Has anyone had any experience with this condition?
That's a new one to me. I do hope they can get it cleared up quickly. I know how bad I feel just from the tissue issue (smile). Good luck.
There is an autoimmune disorder called Behcet's Syndrome's. It's initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing inflammation, vaginal sores, cuts, boils, fissures, or folliculitis. Other symptoms develop years later, so it is very important that you find out just what it is that is causing your symptoms. Don't be too quick to brush it off as nothing, Behcet's disease affects people of every age and every race. It is important you see a doctor who know's enough to help you. Ask them about Behcet's Syndrome, if they don't know enough to tell you, they won't be able to tell you if you have it or not.  You can also visit the American Behcet's Disease Association's website message board for further information.
I just started with the same symptoms.  I inserted Replens and it started burning.  I am very red....I am miserable.
  I am in between jobs and do not have health insurance.  Going to try plain yogurt for some relief.......I had the same burning with KY Jelly a year ago.  Two years ago was suggested I try Premarin cream.  It seemed to helped, but I got paranoid because of the cancer risk and the fact that my sister had breast cancer 2 years ago.
Red inner labia with no bad smell, small amount of watery discharge, no itching, slight burning when antifungal/cortisone prescription cream applied, not much discomfort at all, just redness.
Had not had sex for a long time, husband not in mood, job stress.  Felt miserable after several years of it.  Finally slept with someone I knew well only once.  He hadnt been sleeping with anyone - hes very shy. Then husband suddenly wanted all kinds of sex, which we did.  I have to wear pants that rub against me for work.  They are the right size, but I'm always running all over the place and bending and sliding and reachingand squatting.  Mainly its the redness I'm worried about. its like irritation without itch or burn and I wouldnt know it was there if i hadnt looked.
This is a question about childhood sexual abuse.  I can't find the answer anywhere and am afraid to ask a doctor because its embarassing.
If a child experiences a violent anal rape would there be any evidence of it physically when they were about twenty- two?  Like scars or something? Healed ones.  I was hurt very badly and I am writing about it.  Can somebody tell me if there would be any physical evidence of this happening to a woman?  I dont know who to ask.  It took a lot of nerve to write this. No body is hurting me now.
i've had the exact same problem for 7 months on and off. i know i have an autoimmune disease and my doctor said it was ichenscleoris as well and she gave me a cream called clobatasol(spelling is bad,sorry). so i guess this problem is a skin problem because of my autoimmune disease. but the itching, sharp pains, and swelling wont stop. she doesnt know what else to do. the test results for everything came back negative, and she sees that everything else looks normal. i've gone to multiple doctors and they dont know whats wrong. so my question is did you ever find something to help with your symptoms?
I have the same symptoms beside the sharp shooting pains. I haven't had those. But I have been in to seen a doctor and bladder and yeast infections were negative as well. so my question is did you ever find something to help with the symptoms or a cure for it? With me, the discharge is a lot more than a little and I've tried Vagasil and it helps for about an hour but then the symptoms worsen afterward.
I recently had the same symptoms after my period ended, but I think it's because I used these baby wipes I haven't used before. I have this inflammation and a weird light brownish discharge. I have really sensitive skin, and I get really irritated easily by scented body wash/soap.