Tailbone growth?
I am 33 years old have recently noticed that my tailbone appears to be protruding.  Let me attempt to clarify this.  The normal tailbone has a natural curve to it and the very end of the spine curves in.  One should be able to rock back and forth on their back without hurting themselves or experiencing discomfort.  Well, it seems as if I have a growth on the very end of my tail bone.  Whatever it is, it is hard like a bone, not soft tissue.  It almost seems like I have two tail bones.  It feels like a ball sitting on top of my regular tail bone and sticks out enough that I am unable to roll back without an additional effort to cushion it by flexing my glutes or shifting to the side, but it is not visibly noticeable at this point.  It is not painful, but does cause discomfort when I sit down certain ways, even sitting on soft surfaces.  I know I did not have this problem when I was young, so I am confident it is somewhat recent.  How recent, I do not know.  I recently lost 30 pounds so it may have been there for a while, I just may not have noticed it until I lost some of that extra cushion.  

If anyone has any idea what this may be, I would appreciate the input.  I looked in my John Hopkins Medical book and could not find an answer.  
It could just be from losing weight, possibly you lost a lot of muscle and fluid and that is why you spine feels like that. How did you lose the weight? Did you diet? The other things it could be are a dislocated vertebera or disk or it could also be bone cancer.
I appreciate your imput regarding my problem.  To address some of your suggestions, I have actually gained a lot of muscle in the last year from exercising.  While I did lose fat, I also gained muscle!  I haven't had any injuries so a dislocated vertebra seems unlikely.  As for bone cancer...I sure hope that is not the problem.  I suppose I will need to see a doctor, but unfortunately I have no health insurance at this point in time, but I'm working on that.  

With regard to losing weight, I cut all of my portions in half, stopped eating late in the evening, and did a 45 minute aerobic workout at least 5-6 days per week.  I still ate what I wanted (within reason), but ate less of it and allowed myself to splurge one night per week.  The combination of cutting my portions and exercising really worked!  
It seems like you are very healthy. I was wondering if you've had any children? When we have children our bones loosen up particularly around the pelvic and tail bone areas. The delivery actually stretches these bones even further. Some women even break their tail bones during delivery. Often, a broken tail bone won't heal properly. Also, the bones never totally go back to the way they were even if they didn't break. You could have also broken your tail bone at some point in the past and didn't realize it.

It really worries me that you don't have health insurance, you really need it. This isn't something you can wait around about. If you can't get insurance through work, you can purchase affordable personal health insurance. It is a vital expensive you must make room for in your buget. I know we are all trying to cut corners right now, but that is not a corner you can cut. Our parents taught us to assume we would be healthy because that frame of mind might keep us that way, but that was wrong, even at 38 yoou need to assume you are going to be sick and be prepared for it. I believe everyone should have free health insurance like they have in Canada. Something really needs to be done about it, but I'm afraid it looks like we are still far off from that target. For now you need to make it one of your expenses. If I were you I would find someone who will do an X ray on your spine right away. If you can't find a doctors office who will see you, go to the ER at your local hospital. Most hosptials have to take you whether or not you are insured. You need an X-ray of your spine right away.
To answer your question, I have no children and have never even been pregnant.  Overall, I am a health person.  I eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly.  I suppose I really should see a doctor about this and get it X-rayed.  I am a college student so maybe I can get some kind of help through my university.  Sadly enough, I haven't even asked them yet.  Your comment has reminded me of that possibility.

I really do appreciate your concern over my lack of health insurance.  I know it is not good for a person to be uninsured, but unfortunately, life just works out that way sometimes.  Once I am done with school and get a good job, I will certainly have insurance.  Without getting political, let me just say that I do not agree that the gov't should provide free healthcare for all.  It will put a major strain on the already strained medical community and reduce the quality of medical treatment overall (ask a Canadian).  To be honest, I really could cut a few things out of my life so that I could afford some sort of health coverage, but at this point, those "other things" are providing me more utility during this time of my life.  I know that is a gamble, but I am taking the responsibility for that decision.  Most of the people who are without insurance could also cut their "extra" expenses (car pymt, cable, phone) in order to pay for coverage and I don't think it is right for others who have worked hard for their money to be forced to pay for my coverage (in the form of increased taxes) when I haven't done everything I can to pay for it myself.  And there is already a system in place for those who cannot manage to "cut" anything out of their budget; Welfare.  Anyway, I appreciate your point of view.  I'm sure you are very passionate about it.  
I have the same problem shellsbells but in my case I noticed this bout a year and a half ago after having my son I also lost a lot of weight after giving birth and my butt got flatter too. I mean I've always heard of gaining weight after giving birth but never losing weight and although I've always been a thin girl I've never had issues with my tail bone being so visible til after giving birth and losing weight this doesn't hurt but can cause me discomfort at times.I haven't been to see a doctor yet because I'm too scared of what this could be but I really want to know what I could do about this. Someone please help me!!!    
ShellsBells- did you ever find the answer to this question?  I've been experiencing very similar symptoms recently.
I have the exact same problem! I could have written this myself, aside from the fact I have had two children.
I went to the doctor and have had both an x-ray and nuclear bone scan. Both came out normal. I'm still confused about it though.
I would like to be able to do sit ups and to sit on harder surfaces without discomfort.
Hi, am 22 yrs old girl. i recently noticed this that i have a same problem. i asked my parents. they said it was there in my childhood but they didn't concerned since it was very small. Now i feel little pain when i sit even on the soft surfaces.. really feel afraid to concern with doctor also..pls help me what should i do? why does it comes ? is there a big problem :-(  ?
I have the exact problem. I have had 5 children and just noticed it after losing weight. I can't  do Pilates or sit-ups anymore. I have never had a problem doing this in the past. I can see and feel my tailbone. My hip has been hurting and I think this maybe connected.
Hi there.  Most often this is due to injury.  Occasionally you can have a tumor or cyst in that area.  I recommend you get it checked out by a doctor.  good luck