Tampon Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Tampon Problems

Uhm yeah. This is kind of an awkward question, but what are the chances/risks of using a tampon and uh.. losing it? As in, I think it might've just been pushed up and i might never have taken it out. (I have really terrible memory problems, unfortunately, so I am not sure if I ever took it out, but it's not there now)

Please help >.< Thankyou
Sary
If it's not there now, you must have taken it out and forgotten.  Where could it have gone?  If it were still in there you would notice a definate oder and/or discharge after a few days, or you should anyway.
totally normal and i think we've all done that at least once in our womanhood! did you say its not in there? no, it cant get "lost". you may wanna squat down and put your finger up there and feel around (scoop it out). (TMI i know, but it works). you want to be sure if it is still in there, that you get it out or it can cause major odor and/or infection. there is also risk of TSS but rare. sometimes if it is in there, it just may work itself out to. may get so saturated and when you go to the bathroom, it gets pushed out. if you think its still there, try the squatting!
Tampons cannot get 'lost' in your vagina. Once it reaches your cervix, there is nowhere else for it to go.  You probably removed it, and forgot about it...we have all been there.  As long as you don't notice a strange smell, chances are that it is out.  But no, it will not get 'lost'.
I've had to dig and dig for one before once I started noticing an awful odor. It was stuck WAY up there and smelled HORRIBLE once I finally was able to bare down and hook my finger around it to pull it out. I was then put on antibiotics so I wouldn't get an infection after I called a doctor to see if I needed to worry. Just bare down and dig all over. If it's there you will eventually be able to find it and pull it out. Don't wait too long. You could always go to the doctor if you think it's there but can't find it. They will be able to pull it out. Good luck!
I know this is a serious thread, but I'm cracking up at the visual of all of us ladies squatting and digging.  I've done it at least a million times...even once, when hubby started to get romantic, I thought to myself, "Did I remove my tampon from yesterday???"
It happens to everyone-don't feel bad.  And they're right, you would notice odor, discharge, or discomfort.
you probably pulled it out and flushed it.
When I use to get my monthly I always made sure if I was using one to get the one with the string so I would know if it was still there.But the ladys that has posted to your post are right. Also when I was gettting my monthly I use to keep the paper from mine on the back of the john or on the counter so I knew I had one in and then when I took it out I trashed the paper. I always forget stuff like that so I had to make sure I was keeping track. My soon to be knew when I was on my monthly and was okay with just the paper being on the john or the counter. This might help you keep track. If you go somewhere you can always save the paper and put it in your purse or pocket. Most people check their pants when they take them off at night. Just thought I would let you know what I use to do when I was getting mine to make sure I didn't keep one in to long.
did you squat while you were "digging"? the squating really helps it! okay...not to be gross but do you think you have a yeast infection and you got yeast on your finger thinking it was cotton from the tampon? i dont really think a tampon would disinigrate like that. i also think if it were still in there, you would feel it (a "thickness" in there).
def. keep your eye on it. you may need to call your dr. especially since you are itching and stuff.
Er, so, as I was "digging around" today (you guys are great) I can't feel the tampon at all, but I definitely got a bright white discharge (it seemed like broken up cotten or whatnot) so I assume it's in there. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it out while "digging around" (my fingers are just not that long!) Should I wait a little bit and see if it comes out on its own? (I don't even know how it got up there... It was the tampon I wore overnight the last night of my period)

Thanks you guys, for responding so quickly.
To add to that, there is a very bad itching, although no odor and no active discharge (when I dig I get it, but absolutely no discharge onto my underwear or anything)

I recently went off of antibiotics for a bacterial infection, and am on antibiotics currently for some tooth problems. The infection is unlikely, if not impossible. Otherwise, there has been no discharge *whatsoever* which is completely different for me.
Some antibiotics will cause a yeast infection as they not only kill off the "bad" bacteria, they also kill off the "good" bacteria in our bodies as well.  Almost always when I take antibiotics I also make sure to eat yogurt everyday to help replace the "good" bacteria.  If you have never had a yeast infection before, I would definately go to the doctor for the first diagnosis.  It is possible it could be something else.  But if you just finished an antibiotic and started another one, I would bet it is yeast.  Still, make an appointment with your doctor for first diagnosis.
If you are taking antibiotics you could get yeast infection, but the good news is that the antibiotics should ward off any infection the lost (if it truly is lost in there) tampon could cause. But I would still bare down if you think it's there. It has to come out.
now thats never ever happened tome so that would be a toughy but im guessing youd have an odor, discharge or even some pain.ummm????
No odor, discharge, *or* pain... although when "digging" I managed to get a little blood. Am going to schedule an appointment with my gyno in a week, make sure everything is alright, since now I'm slightly worried.
well..you know the damage digging around the ole vagina with acrylic nails can do!
Oh nono, absolutely not. Not long nails or acrylic ones...

I will definitely make appt with doctor, to make sure of anything and everything. Tampon or yeast infection or otherwise.

Thanks for the advice you guys, and I think it's just time I make sure of everything and go to a doctor.

Sary
OMG!!  Determined to think the worst aren't you???  LOL
OH NO please tell me you do not have LONG, acrylic nails when you went "digging?"
you mentioned you are very itchy....an indication of a yeast infection. you dont HAVE to have an odor or discharge to have one. can simply itch! call dr. anyway.
I hope it works out for you, I found this thread because of similar concerns and I am not one who has ever gone poking around near my cervix before. Last month I thought the same thing, I couldn't remember taking out a last tampon. I couldn't find it though when I did check around that was a few days later though when the wory set in. Now I have started my period again , inserted another tampon and all seems okay. It does weigh on your mind. I used to have menstrual problems so used to keep a log of when i had to change my tampons/pads,  I may do that again just to remind myself so I don't spend precious time being paranoid.