Tampon stuck
Hi I know this is an odd thing to happen, but last month, I accidently left a tampon in, I had been drinking the previous night and assumed that I took it out, I even looked for it and no luck so I assumed that it was taken out. However, 5 weeks later my period was late and I had horrible headaches, cramps and sleeplessness, and when my period did come it was accompained by the missing tampon minus the string. Which by the way was disgusting. Anyway my question is: is anything going to happen to me? Is there any symptoms I should be looking for or any infection etc? Because right now all I am experiencing is horrible cramps and some mild discomfort in that region. If anyone could help that would be great thanks.
Hi. Wanted you to know that I did the exact same thing a few years ago, and I wasn't even drinking!! I just left it!! I even inserted another one and STILL didn't know there was another one in there UNTIL I took out the second one, and discovered the first. Disgusting is correct. The only thing I was worried about at the time was Toxic Shock Syndrome, which is a rare bacterial infection, and the symptoms are sudden high fever, a sunburn-like rash , diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, lightheadedness or vomiting. I'd keep an eye out for those.
Call your Gyn and set up a check up just to be on the safe side. Package inserts say that you shouldn't leave them in longer than 8 hours and weeks could cause a nasty infection, or worse. So yeah, I'd give a call for piece of mind.
You need to contact your doctor only because if a foreign body is left inside of you for too long, your skin may start to grow around it...it can become infected, and cause a "mass"...sorry to sound gross.  Your doctor can handle this for you, and I'm sure they see it all the time.  Don't take any chances with your health.
just be on the lookout for toxic shock syndrome which according to what you are describing doesnt sound like you have. as long as its out you should be ok. but if you feel better give your dr. a call and or go in for a "once over". you are NOT the only one to do this. i have done it myself and so havent many other woman.
I've had this happen a few times (I don't know how, I"m in a hurry and forget?  I don't know...) and there's a tried and true way to get it out.  You need to get water in there.  If you have a ****** tube gizmo, use that. I don't have one, so I ad-libbed with what I had, a turkey baster (I know, comical!!)  Disinfect it as well as you can, then fill it with warm (body temp) water, and squeeze it in.  Do this in the shower, of course.  Do it about 10 times.  The tampon gets full of water and gets heavy and gravity brings it down far enough for you to reach in and get it.  Voila.  Like magic.  
Just curious what happened afterwards- did you get checked?
I had this happen today. I felt like the biggest knob ever. I am going ack to the clinic where I went today and tell them that I did leave it in and see what they can do in case. I am a bit scared as it was in since this past weekend. :(
I just recently had this happen to me I thought that I took it out wednesday night but didnt  I couldnt remember so I went and got checked out on sunday  because I was having brown discharge and the scent of old blood and when the doctor looked it was in there and the doc put me on a antiboitic because my he saw that i was inflammed and irritated down there and told me about the toxic shock syndrome and told me how imparitave it was for me to take the antiboitic and go get checked again in 5 days because this syndrome can can cause death so i am following the doctors orders and i would suggest that you go get checked out no matter how long it was in there better to be safe than sorry if anyone has questions about it you can email me @ ***@****.
WHAT IF YOU DONT FEEL ANYTHING IN THERE .. BUT YOURE NOT SO SURE YOU TOOK IT OUT , AND YOU CHECKED TO SEE IF IT WAS IN THERE BUT YOU DIDNT FEEL ANYTHING IN THERE????????
I think this is happening to me right now! I put one in last night and woke up this morning and couldn't find the string to pull it out. I know I put one in though. I think I am going to wait for my husband to get home and see if he can fish it out! How gross!!
iv been to the doctors and the nurse could not find it either, but im definetly sure its in there and that its causing my cystitis! im going to the hospital tomorow to see what they can do.
how embarasing!!!   Ladies...  I'm sorry to say i'm laughing here at some of these comments.  Isn't it sometimes humilating to be female???  

seriously though, this can be dangerous.  go to the doctor asap.
im joining the missing tampon gang never happend to me befor and i know its their somewhere had my boyfriend up to his arm pits haven a look but no joy where did the blumming thing go.not to sure whot to do now dont really fancy a trip to the doc......the search continues hopfully for not to long as this toxic shock syndrom is a worry.get checked ladies i may have to how anoying .
This happen to me last night... I'm so devastated and embarrassed!!  I apparently had a tampon inside me for a few weeks and didn't realize until last night when my guy & I were about to have sex.  We were both completely grossed out!  I was in tears!  The smell alone made me want to crawl into a hole and never show my face again.  Is there anything over the counter I can take to get rid of the odor and to prevent any infection?  Yes, it ***** sometimes to be a woman!!