Tampons Hurt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Tampons Hurt

Hi, everyone. I'm 16 and I have PCOS. My doc put me on Provera and I got my first period in almost a year this month. It's been going heavy for 5 days now.

I prefer to use tampons and everything was going fine. Then yesterday afternoon, I've found it's harder to put the tampon in sometimes, and they hurt coming out. I don't feel pain when I sit or bend or anything, but the tampon going in and out thing bothers me a bit.

I don't think it's anything serious, but I wanted to know if there are any opinions. Of course, I knoew I have to be mindful of TSS when using tampons, even though I'm not showing the symptoms, I just want to be careful. Should I switch to pads for a little while?

Thank you so much, every body!

~ Em
Sometimes a tampon will hurt coming out if it's not ready to come out. You need to relax your muscles as much possible when inserting and taking out tampons. As long as they're not hurting whilst wearing them then they're inserted properly and I don't see any issues there. It's up to you which you would prefer to use. Are you using the tampons with the applicator? They're much easier to insert than the ones without.
I always use the ones with the applicator because I found that the others are a little painful to put in. I deffinately prefer to use tampons to pads because I've found pads to be a bit messy, at least for me, and I find the tampons easier to hide in my purse.

It's good to know that nothing's going on. Its embarrassing, but because of the PCOS I have little to no experience in all these things so I've been asking a lot of questions... And I'm going through the tampons like crazy because the Provera has made me periods REALLY heavy trying to get out the built-up uteran lining.

Thanks so much for your help!

~ Em
If it continues then it could be worth seeing the doctor and asking to be put on something else to help with the effects of PCOS and see if that makes a difference. Obviously because you've not had a period in a while then the first one is always going to be pretty bad because of the build up etc, but if it continues then definitely see your doctor. Sometimes it takes a few goes to find something to works for us!
Yeah, that's what I've found :) My mom called the doc the first day and we were told to watch how long it lasts. Now it's got no signs of slowing, so my mom said that if this hasn't stopped by Friday night (which marks ten days) we're going to call the doctor again.

I know it has to be watched closely. I don't know what they do if you can't get these periods to stop or whatever, but I'm hoping it can be controlled.