Tape Worms? Someone help plz

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Tape Worms? Someone help plz

Since I was 12 I have thought i had some sort of worms and now im pretty sure its a dwarf tape worm cause its small and white and i have researched about it...ihave been to scared and nervouse to talk about it with anyone so i came here.. does anyone know if can harm me a lot cause i have been haveing side effects like diareah nausea loss of weight loss of appettite etc. and lately its been comming very aggrevating.. does anyone have any advice of what to do because im to scared to talk to my parents about it or anyone else... what should i do??
Why do you think you have a tape worm? Have you seen it?! Have you considered you might have irritable bowel syndrome? It's pretty common: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome
oh, i wish you would talk to your parents about your fears.  there is nothing to be ashamed about.  if you have a worm of some sort, you will need to go to the doctors, anyway.  good luck :)
again, why do you think that you have worms? have you seen them or do you just have symptoms of them?
Oh my gosh!!!
I'm such a paranoid freak that when my kids had pinworms I put on my flashers and rushed to the doc/pharmacy.  That this poor girl(??) has had tapeworms for a while, and still hasn't done anything is over the top!

Sweetie--there are pills that you take that are specifically for parasites.  It is so easy to get rid of, you just have to follow dr's orders.  Please tell someone.  

Are you sure its tapeworm and not something else?
If it is tapeworms, do get treated.  It doesn't sound like you are old enough to go to the doc without your mom or dad; probably they are so terrified that someday you are going to tell them you have some really serious issue like drugs or sex that if you tell them you think you have a worm, they will take you in with no real comment.  It's not a moral issue, it's a medical issue, and you need to see the doc.  If it is impossible for you to consider telling a parent, is there an aunt you can talk to?  Good luck, honey.
I have had tape worm and it's easy to identify. You literally will see little segments of white tape looking things on your panties when you go to the loo.  Tape worm comes from meat. The segments are eaten by an animal and eggs imbed themselves in the meat you eat, they then hatch in your tummy and the worm grows.  Many years ago people tried this as a weight loss solution but you can't intefer with the cycle and people ended up with eggs in their brains, waiting for the (this is disgusting) meat to be eaten for the cycle to continue.  It really is nothing to be ashamed off.  The doctor will give you medicine to kill the worm and then you will go to the loo and pass it all out.  The only concern I have is, how old are you, you think you have had it since you were 12?  If so there is no way you would not have seen something in your panties, because the worm keeps growing and the segments which are released contain the eggs. Good luck, it's easily fixed it you are correct.
My memory is so bad, but what worm is it in kids . if you go whle they are sleeping and look at their butt's ,you can see them. They only come out while they are asleep. Am I crazy, or is their something like this.? May be an ol' wives tale.
are you thinking ringworm???
Thinking it was an ol' wives tale was better i think. lol ew how gross!!!!! you have really flipped me out now. I LIVE ON A FARM!!!!!My kids stay in the dirt!!  i better get my flashlight out.............

I saw the pic of your family. BEAUTIFULL!! wonderful lookin family u got there!  I must be the only one sitting here with my hair up in a scruncci and flannel pj's on. Oh, well. lol
Hey I've heard of this too & parents take a piece of tape & press it over their kids bums & then look at the tape to see if there r worms on it! Now how true, who knows?

But seriously I've heard that w/worms (not sure the type) that the DR gives u a pill for your family also to take incase they have been infected.
Granny in law told me if a kid has them you go at night and put a flashlight to their tushy. you will see the worms around the butthole. uh gross! I would totally flip out if i saw the. ER here we come! Could you imagine!!??
Ya'll are talking about pinworms.  They lay their eggs around the opening of the anus (I'm itching already) and you can really see them!!
Guess where they come from?  The worms lay their eggs in dirt, and then your kid plays in the dirt, gets dirt under their nail, and something as simple as puts their fingers in their mouths....and BOOM.  Infected.
Or, even grosser...another kid has it under their nail, and they go in their classroom and touch something where it dislodges, and YOUR kid picks it up.  BOOM...infected.
Now, remember, I'm a freak, so it's way worse to me than to other people.  For some people its "take a pill and you're done", but most docs do prescribe treatment for the whole family, because of how contagious it is.  Additionally, the eggs can live unhatched IN YOUR HOUSE for up to 3 months!!!!

GAG!!!
So for me, it's treat the family, 3x everyday, and then vacuum, sweep, dust, mop, bleach, use latex gloves, surgical mask (so I won't breathe in an egg..because somewhere in another country sometime in the history of the world someone probably did that...), vacuum the cars, clean the toys, wipe everything down and dig through their poop for 6 weeks until you don't find any worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(The digging through the poop was the best part.  I personally did it with a toothpick.  Gloves, and mask, of course.  I would ALWAYS be sanitary.)lol

I sound like I'm kidding, but this is no exaggeration.

Worms are really VERY common.  Like 70% of the population of any given toddler class has come in contact with pinworms at some point.  The life cycle is about 3 months, but it causes itching and makes the kiddos uncomfortable.  Made me uncomfortable too.  

Anyhoo--that was a little too much info.
Never said I wasn't crazy.
I might be. I don't really know. I just heard it one time.
Just wash their hands really good, and clean out from underneath their fingernails---
and the best rule is..don't put your hands in your mouth!
Please help me ... I am 14 btw And i think i might have that im really not sure and im worrying allot .cause i found 2 ,  What are the symptoms .. Please help me .
Reply as soon as possible..
there is medicine at the drugstore you can take(ask the pharmacist). also wash your hands frequently. Don't put your fingers in your mouth(bite your nails). to prevent reinfestation.
Thank you :) x
I'l go tomorow as i am of school then.
Will i have to pay allot for it though ?
I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and found a cat a few months ago. I am under the impression my cat has tape worms. I have researched this on the net for a few weeks now. I also believe that I have them. I am not sure what to do. Please help!