Tender feet, tight skin, puffy eyes, imploding head, hear heartbeat (no...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Tender feet, tight skin, puffy eyes, imploding head, hear heartbeat (not steady)

I'm 49, overweight and overstressed.  In between jobs, need to refinance home to keep family together.  Studying for professional licensure.  Involved in 2 entrepreneurial endeavors.  One child has emotional issues, both have ADHD and need medication.  I divorced in 2001, remarried in 2002.  Caught my new husband visiting dating websites.

Enough stress for you?

I gain weight as a result of stress.  I believe I finally figured out I'm an emotional eater, but not in between meals - just larger meals.  Good food, no butter, no simple carbs.  No salt.  No sugar (hypoglycemic since childhood).  Just lots of brown rice, veggies, chicken.  Lots.  Will work on portion control that now that I've recognized that problem.

Background over.  Now for details of my problem:

In the morning when I first wake up, it is almost impossible to walk (since December 2004).  The heels of my feet are so very tender.  Gets better as I walk, though.  First thing I do now is put on socks and sneakers, then I can walk okay.  Keep sneakers on for the rest of the day.  Everyday.

I get out of breath very easily - no endurance even though I'm extremely muscular (5'7", 225 pounds, but just a size 16).  Never had endurance.  

Sometimes I can even 'hear' my heartbeat, and it isn't regular. Faster-slower beats.  Lately, I feel almost a rush to my head, and it feels like my head is going to explode.  Of course it doesn't.

I'm in between jobs and cannot afford health insurance.  I've been waiting to get a job before seeing a doctor to avoid 'pre-existing' conditions. Could this be menopause?
Can't comment on your whole question, but I can tell you a couple of things.

The heel pain is likely plantar fasciitis (sp?).  It is an inflammation of the plantar fascia on the underside of the foot.  It is characterized by excrutiating pain in your heel or heels, which is worse when you first get up after sleeping or sitting for long periods of time.  After you take a few steps it gets somewhat better.  Overweight people are particularly prone to this, but anyone can get it.  You can use heel cushions and a good sturdy shoe to help, but it can take years to get better.  Anti-inflammatory meds and icing the area 3-4 times a day can help, too.  I had it for 2 years...it is painful and hard to get rid of.

If you notice your pulse is faster when you breathe in, slower when you exhale, that is pretty much normal.  

See your doctor about these or your other problems when you can.  Good luck.  In the meantime, try anti-inflammatories, ice, and a shoe with good heel support for your foot problem.
Do you drink Diet Coke in excess? I had a friend that drank too much DC and had same symptoms (feet). When she quit the symptoms went away. Probably a long stot, but I though that I would throw it out there.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144&topcategory=Foot

very simple explaination, exercises to do.
I know it wouldn't contribute to plantar fasciitis, and unless it was a huge intake, I don't think it would contribute to water retention.  

Be careful with the exercise, make sure it is low impact for your feet.  Get those heel pads (there used to be a brand called Tuli's that work great!) and wear them religiously.  Don't ever go around barefoot or in socks.  And do use the ice on your heels--it is bothersome but really helps.  One way a physical therapist told me to ice them is to take a frozen OJ can, sit down putting the bottom of your feet on the can, and roll your foot back and forth on it for 15 minutes 3 or 4 times a day (with a thin towel or sock protecting your foot) concentrating on the sore area.  This stretches the plantar fascia, relieves pain, and decreases inflammation.  

Motrin (if you have no health reasons not to take it) or Aleve work well if taken regularly to decrease the inflammation.  

You will need to see a doctor when you get insurance b/c you may also have heel spurs causing the pain, plus you need to be seen about the swelling.  Good luck!
Thank you so very, very much.  I'll research planta fascia / plantar fasciitis immediately.

Regarding diet coke - nope.  Don't touch the stuff.  No soda whatsoever, and I avoid anything artificial whenever possible so sugar substitutes are out, too.

I do drink too much caffeine.  Red wine in the evenings is a definite passion of mine; never during the day.  Interestingly enough, the desire for a glass or two subsides dramatically whenever I exercise.  I am beginning to wonder whether this craving is caused by lower evening blood sugar.  I'll be modifying my diet to eat 5 times a day, increase my water intake, and start exercising again.

Would wine consumption contribute to planta fasciitis?  What about water retention in general???
(new nickname - formerly Thorsen921)
Thank you again!  I did research the problem, and it's me right down the line.  I've always had a high arch, and now that I'm also overweight... well, that's why I have the problem.

Now that I think about it... I've avoided high-impact 'anything' for years, because my feet would hurt.  I just never paid too much attention, that's all.  I've probably had this coming on slowly since 'forever.'  

I'll do the stretching, take the anti-inflamatories, increase my water intake, decrease my coffee intake, get a job (smile), etc etc etc.

I'm so glad and grateful this website exists.  I've got a few things I'd like to receive comments on relative to my husband's health (doctor's come up 'blank').  I'll post those later

Again - thank you for sharing with me!

I just visited the site.  Again, thank you so very very much!
No thanks needed, but appreciated nontheless!

I know it says 90% get better in a month, but that's not my experience, nor that of the few other people I've known with it.  It took literally years for me to get over it.  I knew a girl who had the surgery for it, and it still didn't get much better.
At one point I was put on crutches with no weight bearing for a month.  First step when I got off crutches and it was right back, bad as ever.

Those heel inserts Tuli's were what really seemed to help the most.  I'll see if I can find a link.
I'm so happy I found them!

http://www.supportsusa.com/ankle/foot/tuli/pro_cups.htm

Once I got them and used them for about a month or two, the problem got better and better, eventually went away completely.  You can take these out and put them in any of your shoes.  The ridges on the bottom spread out the pressure on your heel away from the fascia.