Thick dark red and brown discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Thick dark red and brown discharge

I recently was prescribed a Plan B pill, and now after a week, I am experiencing heavy dark discharge. I have read that brown spotting is normal, and nothing to be concerned about, however, this is quite thicker & heavier than I assume the article I read was describing.
I wonder, is this still something that is normal after use of Plan B, or is it something I should be monitoring and imforming my doctor about? I hesitate to jump to any conclusions of my own; this was my first time using any type of oral contraception, yet it's hard not to worry that this discharge could have been something more than just "old blood".
I am not due for my period for at least another week and a half. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
It could be the way your body is reacting. What they describe to you is the 'average' discharge. Some women get none, some get more than average. Everyone's body is different.
If you're concerned that something could be wrong, then by all means, contact your doctor.
Be sure you wear panty liners for now... :-)
Merry Christmas!
Thanks. I didn't think that it was anything to really worry about...but you can never be sure. As I said before, I'm young, and this was my first encounter with oral contraception. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now....panty liners are my new best friend, you're right.
I am 20 yrs. old and i recently came off birth control and after my last period the following month my stomach started to cramp me and a brown discharge came out and the following day had my period and the next day it finished. and it is happening again this month am i pregnant? can some one give me some advice.