Transvaginal Ultrasound - Painful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Transvaginal Ultrasound - Painful?

I am 33 years old and I am a virgin.  I've been having a lot of pain and I finally saw a gyn for the first time.  He tried to do a biopsy of my uterus and the pain was so bad he had to stop.  I guess maybe the speculum was too large for me (I don't know for sure).  He set me up with a transvaginal ultrasound next week and I am wondering if it will be as bad.  He gave me a prescription for 10mg of valium to take an hour before.  I hope that helps, but I don't know if that is very strong or not.

Also.  I've read that the radiologist may ask me to insert it myself.  I would rather not (and I don't know how drugged I will be)  Is it ok to ask them to do it, or is that abnormal?
Thank you,
When i had mine the radiolagist did it no ?? asked, i thank that most do it them selves..if urs ask just tell them u would be more comfetbul if thay did it...and mine was not painful..but i wasent a virgin, so i dont know how it will be for u.....Good Luck...

Valerie