Tubal Ligation Clip came off after 10 years.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yes, two years ago, one of my clips came off and lodged in my hip. has any one heared of this happening before?
Hello Liz

Yes I have the same thing after only 6 years one of mine came off only that I had a X-ray for a kidney problem did I find out it is up near my gallbladder. I was so worried as I do not wish to have any more children as If I did I would not have had it done in the 1st place I was beside myself.
My Gyno said it is a common thing and not to worry about it he did reassure me that I would not fall pregnant as once the tubes have been clipped it seals them shut.

It
I was reading your question about your clip falling off after ten years. it has been ten years since I got the clips and I have been feeling pinching feeling between my hip and my last rib. Did you feel anything like that?
Well ladies I have to tell you both to go get a x ray and talk to your OBGYN.... NOW
I had clips put on 6 years ago and 2 years later had those same pinching feelings and just general pain. i went to the dr and both of mine came off. one was removed due to infection and they told me the other would be fine even though it was in my abdomen, they said it would form scar tissue and never bother me....WRONG. 3 years later in tons of pain i went back to the dr. the clip ws between my spleen and stomach. I had surgey again but this time due to complications getting it out and where it was i went into shock and ended up in a coma on dec 15 2008 for 12 days, was in the hospital for 40 days. they had to gut me like a fish from my breasts to my belly button to fix it...these clips are horrible and ruined my life and nearly took my life from my kids... get them out of you. for more info email me ***@****         Tonya
I am having this problem today as we speak. I had xrays because of colon problems (severe constipation) several months ago. They did two xrays and both showed the clip. They blew if off and I didn't pursue it. I started having severe burning below the sturnum in the middle and to my right mid side. I went to prompt care who took xrays and saw the clip again. I asked why everyone was evading talking about them because they were going to send me on my way and didn't even mention the xrays (the xray tech told me about the clip). When the doctor at prompt care looked at the xrays, I asked her what I should do; she sent me to ER. They did a cat scan and saw the same thing. They said the clip had "migrated" to the abdominal area. I called my ob-gyn's office this morning and finally got a call back at about 1:30-2 this afternoon from his nurse. He told her to tell me that "this happens all the time; we just leave them in there". I asked if this was going to cause problems and they said no. I told the nurse that I wanted to talk to the doctor  because I wasn't comfortable with that answer. So far he hasn't called back. Do you have any advice of what to do if they ignore me? Thanks.
I had clips put on a year and a half ago and my body has went crazy. I have heavy long periods, pain in my abdomen and always feel bloated. I had a ultra sound and the dr said my uterine wall was inflamed but says its nothing serious. Im sick of feeling this way please help....  
                                  mom of three boys in baltimore
I have also had a clip pop off but I'm not sure when it happen, I had an x-ray done and my doctor said good thing for double clippers I have four clips in total. but i have had serious problems since i had them, I'm going on Monday to set an appointment to have them removed.
Can you tell me any other info. I had a tubal 7 years ago and for the last 3 years been complaining of pain in my right lower abdomine and weird periods. My OB performed an oblasion last year at 34 years old had emergency apendtics out 6 months ago and now was at my kidney dr and they did a CT and found that I had 2 clips on one side with a mass growing around it. My OB wants to go in take the clips out and do a histerectomia at 35 years old. What in the world think I'm still in shock!!! Thanks Ferren
I'm experiencing major problems with a migrating filshie clip. I've had bowel trouble, abcess (abscess) almost to the point of rupture, bladder issue, unexplained vaginal bleeding, supposed stones. Today the clip is floating around my diaphragm and caused great pain, difficulty breathing and severe nausea. I am book for surgery in a couple weeks, but went to emergency to be brushed off as per normal. The Dr. that initially found it wasn't going to tell me it was the x-ray techs. I've been told these clips can't hurt you, untrue. Perhaps these Dr's who seem to think their fine should have them clipped inside their scrotum 24/7 for life....maybe with some pain relief on a good day. I've also been warned that my dr. might not be able to retrieve this clip. I feel these clips are dangerous and should be banned. I urge other ladies not to have clips inserted, if something goes wrong your pretty much screwed. I'm hoping for success with the removal. I've been sick because of this over the past couple years. I'm hoping to resolve this soon. I wish you all the best.  
***@****
I had surgery on feb.16th,2010 for endometriosis thats when the doc. Told me my clip on my left tube was off and floating around he removed it. I also feelt thepinching pryor to this but never thought of my clips this if very dangerous! I'm having surgery again on september 8th 2011 for the same thing again I hope to have it removed as well, bless u all.
i got the clip on 2009 and have been expeirncing burning in my stomach and now burning on my right side and today i started bleeding and my period ended 2 weeks ago.i have also been having pinching pain in my   stomach and also my right side.i am miserable.
Hi, I got sterilised 10 years ago and desperately want the clips off, I have tried squeezing them to snap them off, does anyone know if this is a possible way?
Please Tonya help!
I had Filshie clips in 2008. I started having problems (pain) and went to my gyno. I ended up with all sorts of tests and xray showed both clips migrated. My gyne said that they weren't causing my problems and dismissed me. I have had several infections and have been very ill. doc pretty much told me he's not removing them. How do I get them to remove the clips??? Thank you, Heather
i also have the clips an 1 came off so far that i know of an ive been ill since 2004 when my last baby was born an my o.b says its fine an just throws me pain meds im wondering how to get these things out anyone have any advice cause cystitis has set in also since i had the clips ...
I had cops put on in July 2000. In August 2008 I went in for tubal reversal and the dr told me he couldn't find the clips. I've been having back, rib, stomach pain and do I went to the dr. They did X-rays and the tech told me about "something metallic on your left side". When I said I wondered if they were my fliche clips, she said she didn't understand why they'd be way up there. I looked at the X-rays and then looked up what the clips look like. That's definitely what it was. They are way up by mt lung. I'm waiting to see what the dr has to say. Of course it's the weekend.
Btw- I got pregnant with identical twins. I gave birth to them just about 10 months after my reversal.
I have two clamps on each tube and have been going throgh the same thing for years.  I never went to the doctor or complained. I say go.  I believe that these clamps are a danger to us females.  I think God is trying to tell us something,  If he didnt put it there then we shouldnt get them. Most docs just want to take out the uterus when we start to have problems. Thats why I never went back. Now Im trying to get a tubal reversal done.
I have had the clips put on 8 and a half years ago I'm having bad pain every where I can only use the bathroom if I take 4 laxatives at a time and only going once a month to two months I'm swollen like I'm 5months pregnant doctors won't xray me say the clips do not fall off don't want to hear anything I have to say about it. what do I do?
Hello I have read what you have posted and I the same thing is happening to me.  I was wondering if you had the surgery and was it a success.  Thanks so much for your post!  Very informatuve!
WOW, I am currently going through the same issue. I found out the clip on my right side has come off after 10 years! I took a trip to the ER 8 months ago due to severe pain and nausea, the ER doctor referred me to an OB and she told me not to worry about it (this happens often). They are not able to tell me where the clip is located in my body! I do not seem to think this is normal. I am constantly in pain and my joints and whole body ache. I am now going to go have Laporascopy to have it removed if they can find it. I feel for anyone else going through this because it is a NIGHTMARE and for anyone that is considering the Filshie Clips...DON'T DO IT!!!!
I had the filshie clips done on may 21 2008 and my cramps before then weren't hardly noticeable but not they come on with a vengeance...I'm curious as to the chances of my clips migrating and becoming pregnant...my fiance and I wish for a baby but not right now. Someone please email me with more accurate information at : kansas_242***@****
Thank you all for your comments. I had an appointment to get my tubes tied and when the Doctor showed me these clips I was taken by surprise. Maybe I'm old school?? After reading these comments I'm going with my initial thought and canceling the appointment. I will find a Doctor who will do the procedure I feel more comfortable with that does not include objects in my body. Sharing all your stories helped me so please know you saved one person.
Cat
My question is this - why is birth control usually the woman's responsiblity ?  A vascectimy is much less invasive for a guy and it is reversible....it is much safer, yet woman are always the ones going on birth control pills, using uterine divices which causes problems, etc.

Just venting - WTF?  Guys step up to the plate, become accountible, or don't ask for sex because you're not getting it!
Do not do the clips! I had clips applied 12 years ago after giving birth to my 3rd child. Approx 2 years ago i started having horrible pain on my lower right side and right flank. They did tests and found that the clip was Missing and in it's place was a cyst the size of a volleyball. And no I'm not exaggerating it's size. It was huge. So I had the cyst removed however the clip is still missing. They thought it might be inside the cyst so they had the pathologist check 3 times and it's not there. At this time only god knows where that sucker went. And a side note, as if the surgery and week in the hospital wasn't enough i ended up getting a MRSA infection  in my incision. My incision went from top of pubic bone all the way to my ribs. OUCH!!! Frustrating!! Hope this helps others to realize the complications from such a "simple" procedure.
I am so glad i found this discussion! I was at the gym 4 months ago and had a horrible pain in my right pelvic area. It kept happening everytime worked out. Went to OB then to Gastro. Conclusion... surgical clips that i got 11 years ago have formed abdominal adhesions. Wondering if i need a CT scan to see if they are still in place?
Something needs to be done about these so called "safe filshie clips" I had my tubes tied when my youngest son was 4 years old, he is now 21. I was rushed to hospital for surgery 8 weeks ago where a large abscess was found in my pelvic area. After they drained it, a filshie clip was found in the cavity of the abscess. What concerns me is they couldn't find the other clip, I am so worried the same thing will happen again.
I was not aware that my procedure I had done18 years ago to have my tubes cut involved the use of anything foreign (filshie clip) to be placed in my body, the CT scan I had done 8 moths ago revealed this fact. Had I'd been told that anything foreign was to be placed inside me I would have looked at an alternate form of contraception. Dee
I got sterilised 2 years ago and have had problems 4 the last year or so I've had 2 cameras which found nothing so I had a ct scan which has took 2months 4 the results 2 come bk which has shown my right clip has come off my doctor has told me I can get pegnant I want 2 know if this is true thanks x
my husband and i were having sex and he said he felt something stab his penis, do any of you think it could be my clip come off?
I had my Tubal ligation 9/4/2003  and have had this pain on my right lower abdomen since 2004 I have asked "could it be from my Tubal ligation?" Dr.'s No not possible to cause the pain... ok so I have been perscribed Birth control pills 2005 depo shot 2005-2006, Metformin for possible PCOS 2011-2012 colposcopy 2007 uterin biopsy 2012 still NO findings of whats causing the pain I have all this time. 9/28/2012 I was taken to the ER because I was vomiting, in Pain could not walk, fever they did a CT scan looking for Kidney stones or Gall stones Neither found but what they did find was my left fallopian tube was no longer clipped and the Filshie clip has migrated to my right side lower abdomen??? ok same location of pain all these years I could press on that side and indicate where this pain is without seeing the scan result and the ER Doctor said yes thats where that clip looks to be. follow up with the doctor who did surgery in 2003 so I do and finally get seen and she refers me to a fertility specialist to get the clip removed INSURANCE Does NOT COVER fertility so I  am faced with having to pay which by the way all of my recent insurance claims keep being denied under "Pre Exisiting condition"... I'm so annoyed and irritated if the doctors would research as much as all of us do they will see themselves the FILSHIE clip has a pattern of not staying on and health risk for that "clip" to go elsewhere in the body. Yeah it "technically meant to be in the body" for a "Lifetime" BUT its meant to be secured in 1 location not moving around irritating the body.
OMG that's horrible.  After I read your story, that's it, I'm going to demand a cat scan.  I'm convinced now that during the ablation, the doctor moved these clipss or something because I have never had back pain like this before.
HI I have had terrible back pain and really bad pains in my pelvis/hip area shooting down to my knee feeling like hot pokers going thought the knee. This has been going on for 2 1/2 years now been on massive of pain killers had spinal surgery a year ago and still this pain in my hip/pelvis down leg is still really bad, i have had blocks done in my hip to try and get rid of pain too, I am on a lot of pain killers my neurosurgeon sent me for an MRI and X-ray of hip and knee to see if I had trapped nerves, to my horror my X-ray has show 4 fils hie clips stuck in my pelvis he has said basically it is a gynea problem and has referred me which Iam going to in 2 weeks time so I feel these are my main problem but will keep you updated, I need to be pain free.
i had tubal tye done 19 years ago last year after chest xray one clip came un.done and was stuck under left lung and i was pregnant lost baby.april had redo op could not find clip so was told wont cause harm had a cough for over a year now since it came off now got to have chest scan in case its under the lung again .
just got out of hospital to have 4 filchie clips removed, he found 1 and said the others are still there and hes not interested in removing them as he said the pain is not coming from them, this has been a 6 year trek to find my pain, im guttered he hasnt removed them. He said they can only go in one spot in the body and when he looked they were not there so live with it, they are titanium and fine left inside. I wont to kill all doctors that say this crap its getting old, and they have no idea what pain is. I think if i start saying im going to sue they might listen!!
I finally had my Exploratory laparacopic in Jan 2013 which LOW and behold she removed the clip that was migrated and while in the she discovered the right clip was hanging no longer attached to my right fallopian Tube and hanging on a ligament... smh... I no longer have the pain and I am no longer with mood swings like as if my hormones are getting back to normal =) who knows My follow up I told I am fine no pain and kinda crazy but my periods are normal 5-7 days on time to the date. My tubes only had minimal scar tissue stated at 1 cm on each tube everything else really good. I am relieved GET THESE AWFUL CLIPS OUT LADIES!
Hi, I'm 34 I had clips done in 2003 I found out in 2010 that one of my clips is missing and was told by 2 ob gyn after I had some mild dysplasia removed from my cervix. That if I was to become pregnant that by 12 weeks I would have to come in and have my cervix tacked. now I'm having symptoms of ip  
Hi I'm going in for surgery at the end of the month to get these clips out too. I had one migrate to my left side and have had pain for years. He told me he was going to remove my tubes and hopefully find the migrated clip. We can see the placement on a x-ray so I'm hoping he can find it.

How was your recovery? I'm so nervous going in for this. I know I have to get them out but some of the stories about the surgeries are very scary to hear.

Shell
I was trying to post a link for you on Facebook Erin Brockovich
She has a case starting up for woman who are suffering with these clips.
Hi there -

If you can find the video on another site, like youtube or her website, you can post that link.

Thanks,

Emily
Hi, my name is michaela and I had clamps put on 02/04/2009 6 weeks after I gave birth to my fourth child at age 19. Since I got tha clamps on I have been in terrible abdominal pain many times would go to the er bcuz I couldnt even walk I was literally in a fetal position , each time Iwent to the er or to tha obgyn  they would run every test possible and ccouldn't find anything wrong with me. I kept telling everyone I think its the clamps but couldnt find anybody to listen to me. So finally almost 5 years later I found an outstanding obgyn, I went in to see him and told him I thought is was my clamps and his said I dont think so bcuz u would have tha pain 24/7 nd it would b all over not just in certain spots at certain times, so he ran a bunch of tests even a pap smear nd prescribed me birth control pills for three months to c if they would help. He thought maybe it was endometriosis. Finally after all tha tests and takin birth control pills for three months I went back in for a normal check up nd he decided it was time to do exploratory surgery. So we scheduled the surgery I had the surgery done on 10/22/2013 and wen I woke up from tha surgery he told me that everything was fine and tha only thing he found wrong wit me was tha clamps had ate away at one of my fallopian tubes and they came off and migrated into my pelvic wall nd my organs so he removed them while was in there...since then I have not had ny abdominal pain except tha pain from tha surgery. I am so glad that he was willing to do exploratory surgery, bcuz without that I would still b in pain nd have those clamps in there but even tha doc didnt want to believe it was my clamps. When I woke up from surgery and he told me that it was tha clamps causing me all the pain and that I was right it felt so good to hear that. I told him maybe more of these doctors should listen theyre patients and believe them instead of taking theyre knowledge and training in medical to over power how a patient feels. But with that ending I am going to sue tha doctor that originally put tha clamps on bcuz she did not tell me that they can fall off nd migrate into ur organs or that they can ruin ur fallopian tubes due to her ignorance nd lack of respect I will never b able to have kids now nd on top of that I was in horrible pain for almost 5 years...
Hello ladies looks like we are all in the same situation. My tubes were tied back in 2006 and I had no idea they were using a clip. That is something my doctor failed to mention prior to the procedure. Anyway I began feeling random pain in my abdominal area specifically my belly button area. It felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. Of course it was hard explaining this pain to my OBGYN. Well eventually the pain increased and I switched doctors, well my new doctor explored my theory. I am not sure why but maybe had something to do with me being a nurse student at the time. She sent me for an xray and what do you know? there was a clip lounged in my belly button on the X-Ray results. We scheduled a same day laparoscopic surgery. My OBGYN performed the procedure and the general surgeon was on call in case she needed him. Everything went well that happened back in 2011. Well it's November 2013 and I mysteriously started having the same constant pain I felt 2 years ago. I am 99.9% sure its the second clip that decided to make it's way to my belly button. Pain is the same. I will call my doctors office in the morning and let her know what I am feeling. The surgery had me out of commission for several weeks so hard on my family and I so I am not looking forward to the results of my near future X-ray I will have....... : (  This has to stop this company should not be able to keep putting these foreign objects on the market. It's not fair to even the small percent of us that are having issues......
Erin Brockovich website on Filshie Clips......

http://www.brockovich.com/consumer-alerts/filshie-clips/
I just had my surgery on Friday to remove these clips. I was told that the one that migrated from my left side embedded in the bowel on the right side of my pelvis. I also have scaring lesions that had to be removed from my right ovary. Both fallopian tubes were removed too.
My doctor too said that he felt that this was not the cause of my pain before I had this surgery done. I see him in 4 weeks. At least he was willing to take me serious and go in and see what was going on inside of me. I'm thankful for that.
I went in for a kidney ultrasound and found out that both of my filshie clips have come off of my tubes.. one is behind my rectum and the other in my upper left side abdomen... my doctor told me that i am extremely lucky to have not become pregnant. i have no idea how long they have been floating around my body..i never had any pain associated with this... my concern is that i may have to have 2 separate surgeries to one, remove the clips, 2, to take out my tubes completely... is this the doctors fault that put them on (that was 16 years ago) or is it a faulty clips from the manufacturer? I am wondering if a malpractice suit is warranted...
I'm wondering the same thing for me too. The Dr.'s wont say too much.
Ok now ya'll have me scared, I had mine done in 2003 and started having major issues in 2007. My periods get worse every year, I have bad pain in my stomach, hips, back, and can hardly walk about 5 days before and 4 days during my period. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 2008 and have had to have 2 surgeries on my spine, so I know that doesn't help, but the pain is 10x's worse in those times...I have had to have 2 upper GI's and one dr says its a hernia and the other says its gasturitis, I do what they have told me to do and it still does not relieve the pain. I went to the dr in 2009 for major pain in my lower region, she had me do an ultra sound and said she seen no clip on the ovaries, but said I had a mass of cists on them. But left it at that, put me on birth control. I don't trust many dr.'s and would like to know what I should do and who I can go to here close by me that will listen to me and my concerns???
I too have had a migrating Fishie clip ( hulka clip).Mine was placed in 1999, and in 2013  I was having severe pain in my vagina., which my surgeon thought was transvaginal mesh eroding again. The clip had embedded itself in my anterior vagina near my urethra. It had to be cut out leaving a  hole which had to be patched with pigskin.  Does anyone know of a lawyer that takes these cases.  ?  I'M tired of defective products ruining my body !
I have just come home from surgery to remove my left ovary and a complex cyst. I've been having problems for years with my back and periods. I also had Letz treatment for pre cancerous cells on the cervix. Anyway, although I won't know for a couple of weeks if my cyst was malignant I reckon it was a blessing in disguise! My gyny found my left Fallopian tube and sterilisation clip had migrated into my back. Probably what's been causing my pain for years! I was sterilised 15 years ago after my 3rd baby. Apparently my right ovary was fine but my clip was gone. My gyny thinks it's embedded in a ligament and shouldn't cause anymore problems!
Couldnt believe these comments on here..i never knew so many people had the same problem..i had my clips put on in 1999 only recently have i been having problems...pain in left side&right side&heavy periods also my partner felt something stab him when we were intimate i felt it too..im waiting for a scan to find out whats going on.i still cant believe these clips are causing probs with probably thousands of women.