UTI/Kidney Infection & Now Brown Spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Alright, here is my story. I'll be 27 in July.

Growing up I had awful periods. Cramping to the point I couldn't walk, they'd skip around a lot, etc. At 15 I went on the pill and was on it till I was 19. During that time my period was normal and I'd get it every month, I'd still cramp a lot, but not as bad as before.

When I was 20-21 I gained about 100lbs in a year. And my period went wacky. Since then I'm lucky to get my period 1-3 times a year. Because I didn't have medical insurance and no free clinics around (small town) I didn't get checked out. I assumed it was a thyroid condition of some sort as my aunt and grandmother on my mother's side both had it.

Back in Dec. right before xmas I got my period. Right after it felt like I had a UTI, so I went to the Dr to get antibiotics. (I now have health insurance even though it sucks) they gave me pills, and I went on my way. I felt relief within 6hrs of taking the meds. I took them for the 10 days till they were gone.

I got my period again in Jan at the end of the month, and then again April 9th. Skipping Feb & March. VERY weird for me since i'm so irregular.

Around April 20th or so, I felt like a UTI was coming on. The symptoms went away within 1-2 days (I wanted to make sure I had one before I went to the Dr) then a week later I started feeling them again, but it went away. I thought perhaps it was just from sex or something.

Around May 2nd I had a weird feeling in my lower stomach. I've never been constipated in my life (I could go 5 times a day the same time of day every day) It was like a 'hard' feeling. and sometimes I felt I had to go and I just couldn't. I drank veggie oil, I drank a lot of water, I ate grapes...nothing seemed to make the feeling go away. I did end up going to the bathroom a few times, but nothing significant.

On May 6th, around 8:30PM I started having horrible pains in my lower left side. Since i don't drive and I have horrible insurance i didn't go to the hospital right away. I was thinking I was constipated and the feeling would go away. It didn't. Around 12:30AM I found a ride to the hospital, where they told me I did have a UTI, and they thought it spread to the kidney. They put me on antibiotics (Ciprofloxacn), they had also given me pain meds (non narcotic), and an IV to rehydrate me. They wanted me to follow up at my dr's office in 2 days.

On Thursday May  8th, late at night, I noticed when I wiped that there was pinkish discharge. I was creeped out, because my period doesn't start like that, and thought perhaps it had to do with the kidney infection/UTI. The following day was my Dr. appointment, and by that time the discharge was brown. It was really only there when I wiped, but I still wore a pad, and had a bigger amount through the day.

They had me to another urine test, where they told me it appeared as if my infection was going away, even though I still had that 'hard' feeling. I didn't know what spotting was at that time so told the dr. I had just gotten my period. I also requested they take blood to test for a thyroid condition - they were going to test me for other things as well but she didn't tell me what. They probably wouldn't have tested me for pregnancy since I told her I had my period. But I would have thought the hospital would have, or would have asked if I was pregnant or if there was a chance that I was. They didn't.

Over the course of my spotting I had NO symptoms of a period. No cramps, no nipple tenderness, and no backpains (other then the kidney back pain). This is NOT normal for me. Plus, its out of the blue that my period would all of the sudden be coming more often. I've never ever in my entire life had a period like this. I told the dr that it didn't seem normal, but she didn't say anything. My sister said with her first pregnancy she bled all the time as though it was her period.

I continued this brown spotting until yesterday, May 13th. Back and forth it went from very light - only when wiping and maybe a teaspoon/tablespoon amount. I took a pregnancy test on May 11th, it came out negative. I should also mention here, that I've been having unprotected sex with my husband over the last 6 yrs and never experienced anything like this.

I called my Dr. yesterday to find out the results of my urine test, to make sure I was on meds that would clear it up, as I'm still having that 'hard'  constipated feeling (and only going once in the morning, which again is not normal for me). And someone was supposed to call me back. I have yet to hear from them and will be calling again tomorrow.

Right now the only thing I'm feeling is a 'tightness' or a 'hard' feeling like what I felt before I had my visit to the hospital. My back is no longer hurting on the left side, just the tailbone area (which is what normally hurts during a period for me) Bending over sort of makes my belly feel 'odd'
Turns out I did have a UTI and it did clear up. However, at my dr. appointment yesterday they told me that I did not have a kidney infection, as the area I was having pain wasn't where the kidney was (yet the hospital was the one to tell me it was a kidney infection).

Anyhow, they now think it might be a cyst. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow.
You could be pregnant, because antibioditcs can sometimes make the pill ineffective. But you should find that out at your apt today. Good luck, hope you figure out what's going on
I went for the ultrasound. Since it was a tech and not a dr. she wasn't really supposed to tell me anything. But she did say that it all looked okay to her, that maybe it was PCO or something with my bowels. So I'm just now waiting on the official results. I'm still having that weird feeling over in the left side. They gave me some pain pills, so I've been taking those and they help somewhat.