Ultrasound Negative for Cysts - Gynecologist Brush-Off

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

I'm a 22 year old female looking for answers. I've always had weird periods. They were irregular and short (lasting only 5 days). They've become more regular but are very far apart (38-42 days apart) and still short and light. I've always had trouble losing weight in my middle. I'm not fat, but I have a thick middle, even when I've dieted and exercised, my arms and legs are fine but my middle is thick. I'm tired all the time, have some hair growth in strange places for a woman (chin, breasts, heavy on legs, upper lip, and even weird places above jaw), and feel depressed and moody at times.

Sometimes my periods cause extreme pain, dizziness, clammy skin, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and general confusion. This usually happens on the day before, and/or first day and/or second day of period. I've been sent home from work because of these symptoms because I can't function and get all shaky, my skin goes white and people around me worry. This past period, I passed out. I completely lost consciousness and a coworker caught me so that I didn't the ground.

My gynecologist ordered a vaginal ultrasound to check for cysts. The ultrasound came back clean. They're now telling me that my symptoms are completely normal and I should get on birth control and take Aleve. I don't have sex and am a virgin, so I've never been on birth control. On my first gynecologist visit my gyno tried to put me on birth control because she said I don't produce enough estrogen (which supposedly explains my irregular and far spread periods). However, she never tested my hormone levels.

I feel like I'm getting brushed off and that birth control is the common answer for any menstrual problems. I understand I don't have cysts or PCOS, but isn't it possible that something else is responsible? And doesn't birth control increase the risk of cancer and weight gain?

I just want some answers. I'm tough and always just endured, but this past period has me concerned. The pain was just too intense and I couldn't keep anything down (there goes the suggestion for Aleve) and I've never fainted before in my life.

Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just so frustrated.
Tags: ultrasound, negativecysts, Cyst, gynecologist, Pain, Weight, Breast, brushoff
This condition is called dysmenorrhea. It can be of two types; primary and secondary. The primary dysmenorrhea is seen within 2 years of onset of menstruation and stays for 1 to 2 days of each cycle. The secondary dysmenorrhea is due to pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids, endometriosis (abnormality of lining of uterus), pelvic tumors, etc. You should consult gynecologist for internal examination and other test needed to detect it's cause. In your case, chances of endometriosis are high.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I'm planning on going to see my general nurse practitioner to figure it out.
It is a very good possibility it could be Endometriosis. Please google that and see if those symptoms match yours. You can also check my profile out and read my journals of my Endometriosis Journey as well.

PM me if you have any questions
facts About Meat
23 hrs ago by gymdandee
Jmecier1 commented on Tips on telling a col...
Jul 31
AppleBr just dropped another sample... Comment
Jul 31
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals