Unpleasant underwear smell
whenever my girlfriend becomes aroused and/or comes, there is an over-poweringly pungent smell in her underwear. this does making oral sex a little awkward and don't know how to ask her if it's a fungal infection or what is causing the awful smell.

a) what could it be and

b) how do i approach her about it
The commonest thing that causes a smell is something called BV or bacterial vaginosis.  A tactful way to address it is to say you have some kind of bacterial thing and you got checked and she needs to get checked too.  This might not even be a fiction, as partners can pass things like this back and forth.  You would be doing yourself and her a favor; for a woman if it is BV and is left untreated, there could be fertility problems later.
pop - as embarrassing as this is,  you've been naked and done oral on her.  It seems like just TALKING to her shouldn't be that hard!

"I'm worried about you - when we have sex,  I notice a very strong smell and I'm worried something is wrong,  I think you need to get checked out".  That's how you say it.

Best wishes.
Yes, I agree this needs to be brought to her attention. It sounds like bacterial vaginosis to me, which is worse with intercourse or arousal. Regardless, it's not normal to smell that way and she needs to get it checked out. Be tactful when you tell her. Good luck!
thanks guys. being a guy makes bringing up issues like this even harder, but thanks for your helpful comments. wish me luck!!!