Unprotected Sex while on period, but on birthcontrol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex today. I happen to be on my period, and taking birth control. I was just wondering what the possibilities were for getting pregnant taking these risks. I know it was stupid of me to do such a thing, but at the heat of the moment, things get a little carried away and everyone knows that.
well im no expert but...of course there is a chance that 1. birth control could fail, and if THAT happened 2. your body could be impregnable during your period. however, i don't think the chances of all that are anywhere near high. if it were me, i wouldn't be worried at all, but everybody is different. i think you'll be ok, it would be different if you weren't using any sort of birth control method, but you are on bc. i think you're fine, but if you're still worried its not too late to get a morning after pill :)
YOUR not really UNPROTECTED

UNPROTECTED means your not using anything

IF your on birthcontrol that is a form of protection
also you had your period
The pill works by preventing ovulation, and if you're not ovulating, you can't get pregnant. You're equally protected on the pill all month long, regardless of whether you're on your placebo week or the active weeks. So, you didn't have unprotected sex, and you're fine :-)
typically when you on your period you are not ovulating, if you period is normal (28 day cycle) you should ovulate on the 14th day after your period started, and also people say that sperm can live inside you for up a week, only while you ovulate does your body produce cerivical mucus where sperm could live that long, when your not ovulating the acid inside you is much to strong and sperm cannot survive for very long. It also depends on what day of your period you had sex, if its at the first couple of days then i wouldn't worry. Also your taking birth control so you should be ok. i wouldn't worry I've gone through the same problem myself and everything worked out fine. but it is always a good idea to use a condom just incase, rather safe than sorry.
ok.. so my girlfriendis on the pill.. and she has been regurly for awile now.. but last week she was on her period for 3 days.. and we decided to have sex. i came in her and everything was cool.. but the next day she told me that her period had stopped. early. like 3 days early. sehs not sure whats going on and neither am i. im not really scared cause i care about her alot.. im just kinda wondering.. is there a way she could be pregenant?
If she is on the pill, she is protected, assuming she hasn't missed any pills,etc. It is not uncommon for women on BC pills to have shortened period.  When I took the pill, my period eventually lasted only 1 1/2 days.  It was prob. just time for her period to stop, and it just so happened that it was the same time that you had sex.  Don't forget, though, that condoms protect you both from so much more than getting conceiving a baby.
My--you've certainly gotten yourself very well informed on the female reproductive cycle since just yesterday!  And what do you mean "I've gone through the same thing myself"?

Forget to change usernames, perhaps?  Seems like there are a lot of familiar styles here with new names.  Though I don't contribute often I do read the forum daily.
I was with my boyfriend the other night and the condom broke. I just started the pill, and I was only on the 8th pill of the pack, but the first day I took it at a different time than the other 7 because I decided a different time would be better. I also didn't start it on my period, I started it the Sunday after. I'm kind of worried - do I have a big chance of getting pregnant?
You read my mind : )
hi all - need some advice really worried.

my girlfriend is on birth control but im not sure what kind it is, but she took her last pill and the next day we had sex and this is when she is near her period.

im just worried because i did the pull out method and worried about the pre ***

if theres anyone that could give me some advice i would be appreciated thanks.
Hey all,

I recently just switched pills and on the 3rd week of my active pills, I began my period. It was normal aside from being early (which has never happened to me on any other pill; this is about my 6th brand). The next week, I began my sugar pills and had a very light bleeding for about 2 to 3 days. And on two days after that I had unprotected sex. Not soon after that I began very very light spotting only lasting two nights. It was only at night that I would spot. I am not worried about being pregnant, I am just curious! Is there any chance I could be pregnant?
im 24, ive been on the pill since i was 16, this month tho ive messed up on taking my pill a lot. well me and my bf had unprotected sex a couple days before i was due for my period, he pulled out but put right back in...i got my period but it is extremely light its never been this light. could i be pregnant or get pregnant?