Unusual body odor

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Unusual body odor

My twin sister and I have a similar problem which we have disclosed with other women and only a small percentage seem to concur.  Basically anything we eat which normally has a distinctive taste and smell, such as pungent foods but mainly fish and certain meats, especially fish though (more prominent with shell fish) seem to cause a heavy odor in the vaginal area, which resembles the actual food item.  This does not happen in the armpits, but only in the private areas.  Sometime it is so distinct that it can become embarassing as it only takes a few hours to manistest and if during the day and you do not have a way to freshen up, it can become a real problem.  Now again most women do not seem to have this. Why do some of us have this condition? What is is caused by and is there anything that can be done medically?  A GYN once said that we may be lacking the necessary enzyme that would break down the actual protein which would eliminate the residue/odor.  Is this also possible.  Please, please help!
I have this problem to, only not as bad as your desribing, If i drink alot of caffien or eat really greasy salty foods, my odor changes, not nessesarily to the food its self but it does change. I have a heavy discharge and I use summer eves feminine wipes everytime i pee. you can also get some adult wipes and use those
This happens to me with onions. If I cut them (its ok if I just eat them), but if I cut them.. I smell like onions for days! It is awful, I hate it!
I have recently come across the supplement chlorella.  It has a cleansing effect on the body thus eliminating body odor including breath.  I eat garlic w/ my husband and he stinks and I dont.  Not to mention the other effects of taking chlorella.  Look into it, its amazing.
Avatar n tn
Found this on the internet:  A fish odor is caused by taking choline supplements, by a hereditary condition called trimethylaminuria that requires avoiding fish and other dietary sources of choline, or by a vaginal infection caused by a bacteria called Gardnerella. People who have damaged livers can also develop body odor that smells like fish. Damage to the liver can destroy the chemical that breaks down choline.
Avatar n tn
Does regular body odor from like not taking a shower or somthing have anything to do with how your discharge smells?
Avatar n tn
Avatar n tn
you can search about the cause and how to eliminate your body odor in the internet..(search it on google or in yahoo..)i think this will really help the two of you... because i also had this body odor ones..
Avatar n tn
i started noticing a fishy smell around my baby's mouth after breast-feeding him. being an RN, i researched it...most likely i have trimethylaminuria which doesn't allow me to fully break down choline rich foods. well, i recently started taking Chlorella just to be healthier and BOOM! the smell was gone the first time i breastfed after taking the Chlorella! there was recently a study in Japan that backed up my results of the Chlorella removing this fishy odor!
spider6 commented on photo
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on renae176's status
Shannon79 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals