Up and Down White Blood Cell Count

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Up and Down White Blood Cell Count

In the past week my sister 22 years of age has had fever with low WBC count(1900) and low T cell count, She went in for another blood test today and her WBC count was high (15000) but t cell count was still low.I think Hepatitis and Hiv were ruled out. Im extremely worried and want know what this could be and could it just be an infection she was fighting or a diet problem?
Avatar n tn
I know a little bit about this topic, that might help you feel better. The higher white blood cell count is probably because your sisters immune system is now attacking the infection that was causing her fever. T cells also get involved in this. I would suspect that the early low count was because her body didn't recognize how to battle the infection yet and is now producing antibodies to get rid of it. Sometimes immune response doesn't happen right away (helper T cells have to recognize foreign particles, go to lymph nodes where B cells are, tell B cells what antibodies to produce, then B cells produce them and they travel to the infection site, it can take a while) and it sounds to me like that is what your sister experienced. I dont know about it being anything diet induced, but then I'm no doctor, just a Microbiology/Immunology student. Good luck to her.
Take care.
Kazzy
Avatar n tn
I would have her screened for lukemia - sustained wbc's over 15000 are pretty characteristic of the disease - don't panic, just be diligent and pursue it until you have an answer, don't let this go unchecked.
Avatar n tn
Thanks Kazzy and Sassy
KTowne Definitely starting to feel... Comment
Shannon79 commented on renae176's status
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals