Women's Health Community
Upcoming colorectal surgery in a patient with heart disease
About This Community:

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Upcoming colorectal surgery in a patient with heart disease

I am a 25 year old female who is about to undergo colorectal surgery.  I also have a heart condition (although I don't have an official cardiac diagnosis).  For over a decade I have been feeling periods of awful shortness of breath, chest pain, lightheadedness and numbness which last for a week or more at a time and are extremely scary and debilitating.  Repeated noninvasive cardiac workup (echoes, EKGs, cardiac MRI, stress test) did not demonstrate significant heart disease.  They did show trace mitral regurgitation and an atrial septal aneurism (aneurysm) suggestive of patent foreamen ovale.  However, I was told that these findings are insignificant.  I am still very worried, however, about having a heart condition.  Now I am about to undergo surgery under sedation.  I am afraid that I would die from  sedation during surgery because of my heart condition.  I am very scared.  However, my rectal symptoms are also very bothersome.