Update RE: Sebaceous Cyst on Labia Minora

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

I had a follow up w/my Ob yesterday w/the intentions of getting this pesky cyst at least LANCED.  No such luck, ladies!  The doc is a true conservative!

He felt, that since it's small, not infected or inflamed, moves around, etc. that to go after it w/a scalpel is "overkill" and it could cause more problems.

He even admitted that he's on the side of the conservative camp.  He seemed to say just the right things to try to talk me out of trying to be proactive about it.  What could I do to convince him?

Well, I asked what to do if it has a major flare up again, and he said that if it does, that he would 'be glad to get out his tools,' etc.  Why wait?!  My spouse's job is ending soon, and we won't have insurance.  He said it's 4 mm in size.  Meanwhile, I called a different ob's office today and scheduled a 2nd opinion for mid-June:  can't get in till then.

Any thoughts on this?  I know that I'm aggressive, but this thing is sore and itches; it also started causing little jabs of pain (not severe, though).

Does it sound like I'm getting the run around or the doc is really conservative and it's going to take me poking my finger in his face to get him to do something?  LOL

Thanks in advance.
A 4 mm cyst is small and lancing it at this point could do more harm than good. Normally I am a pretty aggressive person when it comes to treating things, but I have to agree with the doc on this one. If there are no s/s in infection the need to lance isn't there. But, if you are more comfortable getting a second opinion, by all means go for it.

Andi
My mom had one of those for years.  What finally worked for her was during a "flare up", she would put hot packs on it and it eventually ran and lanced itself.
Thx for the replies.  I may end up canceling this "2nd opinion" a week before the appt. gets here.  Like I told my mom on the phone earlier, if this next doc would actually do something, then what am I going to tell the 1st guy in January when I have the yearly exam?  LOL

Then again, if it severely flares up, # 1 guy said to let him know.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail in all of this.  What originally turned out as a quest for a diagnosis now has me spinning my wheels!

I hope no big flare ups happen again; if they do, guess who's getting a word in his ear?  LOL

Thanks again for the replies.
Des_a_rae commented on mhv's status
1 hr ago
Infowars commented on The Turbinates: What ...
1 hr ago
mhv commented on Dads Biopsy showed ca...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals