Upper abdomen, Lower rib cage movement

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Upper abdomen, Lower rib cage movement

I am not pregnant, but am feeling movement in my lower right rib cage, or upper abdomen. It is the same feeling I had when pregnant, like there is foot or hand of the baby moving in that area. I have had it for a few days now, and am wondering what it could possibly be. Thanks!
Avatar n tn
Hi there, I'm not sure what you are feeling, but I had spasms in that same area and was sent for an abdominal ultrasound, I didn't have any gallstones but the doc said I must have had gallbladder spasms. Hope this helps!
(((Raynbow
i have had the same thing happen to me for the last 6 months... feel like little hits..n..kicks...even to the point when i lay down ....on my right side sumthing pokes up on my right side....i went to the dr. the other day ....they did a ultrasound on me...cause i was convinced i was pregnant....the ultrasound came back negative....they dr. said he seems to think its abdominal spasms...and ive tried looking that up ...and i havent found much helpfull info. on that
Avatar n tn
I am having the same issue.  It feels just like fourfrench's described it (this is exactly how I had explained it to my husband).  It is like I have a baby moving around and poking me.  I know that is not possible.  I have started to get a little concerned.  Maybe I will make a Doc appointment and see what they have to say.
Avatar n tn
I'm not having pain, but as soon as I lay down for the night, I start feeling a movement close to my rib upper abd area and it feels just like when I was pregnant and my child would kick.... I dont believe I'm preg, I just had a heavy period a week ago... Don't have a clue what this is but it's been going on for a week??? what could it be?
I am having the same problem a month now, I know I am not pregnant as I have regular period  and I am on contraceptive. My last sexual contact was two months ago  I gained  some weight which I am in the gym ,but this movement in my abdomen is driving me crazy. Please anyone out there know what cause this please let me know I now know I am not the only one
I also have a feeling in my abdomen, im very thin and can feel and see it moving around, it has also gotten bigger over the past couple months, iv been having a period and im on the pill...iv never been pregnant and dont know what that feels like....when i lay down is when the movement happens the most and it moves from my right side to my left...i havent gained any weight just a growth in my stomach...someone know whats going on with me??
I am having same symptoms but have ALREADY had gallbladder removed two years ago.  any other ideas?
Avatar n tn
I read all the queries, but so far - not an answer.  I have been having same
symptoms and like you I had my gallbladder removed at least 15 years ago.  I just turned 80 so doubt if pregnancy is in the mix, but I sure would like an answer from someone that has received one.  I had no idea so many, many people could have what I thought was something happening to only me!  So - has anyone got an answer?
Junie, perhaps it is gas moving through the intestines.  Yes, at 80 pregnancy is not possible.  I would schedule an appt. with a GI doctor.  good luck
I had a similar experience to what most of you are describing. I had four ovarian cysts reading from 3-7cm in diameter.
I am 50, do not have a gallbladder, and almost every day and night i feel like there is something pushing, poking or brushing up against me-from the inside right below my left rib. If I were to look in time, I believe if I looked fast enough,  it would be very visible. Reminds me of pregnancy but higher up. Nerve wracking but painless. Help! I feel like an idiot even complaining to my Husband. I had a dream last night that it popped out like the size of a tennis ball and woke up right before it felt like it was coming through. Nice huh?
It seems way to high...for ovaries. and no discomfort here. Hmmm..
Has anyone been checked for tape worms?
I have the same feeling but haven't seen the doc.
Avatar n tn
I am stunned that so many are experiencing this symptom!  I have been feeling movement in my upper right abdomen area, right below the rib cage, for several months.  It feels exactly like a pre-born baby moving around in there, but I am not pregnant.  Tonight I googled "hernia" but that did not match, next I found this website.  Like some others have stated, this seems way too high for cysts in the ovaries, but I have had cysts removed 20+ years ago.  I've also considered worms of some kind.  It is very disturbing because the movement is so noticeable and uncomfortable.  I think I will call the doctor!
I have just started experiencing this as well. Feels like a tennis ball sized baby moving just below my left ribs. I am a 46 yr old female and still have all my parts (besides my tonsils lol) what in the world is it?
I have this also! There is no pain but lots of movement like a babies foot in my upper abdomen and at my ribs on the right side. I am 59 and have no uterus and no gallbladder. My PA said it may be a hernia but did not suggest any tests.
Me too. Anyone got an answer yet?
I have been having this for about two days. I am thinking it may be due to muscle strain from work and sitting over a computer too long. I have scheduled a discount massage in hopes it helps. If this continues I will see a health care professional. I wish previous responders would update on status.
So I had the massage and had her focus on my back and neck only. I had the odd feeling for one more day and it has yet to return. I would like to note that I passed an impressive amount of gas overall. Perhaps it is a muscular and gas issue like air getting trapped because of muscle tightness. Good luck to you all I hope this helps.
I have the same symptoms for about a month. Always right upper quadrant of my abdomen, just below my ribs. Not painful, but uncomfortable. Some days the "spasms"/movements are worse than others and by the end of the day felt alot of soreness there (and also my rt. lower back). Felt just like a baby  kick or like an organ getting stuck on a rib. Really weird and was starting to freak me out. I came across this page in my frantic search for an answer and saw all of the similar stories. (which was a relief, except there didn't seem to be an answer to the question, "what is it?!")
   Went for an abdominal US today which was normal,....however, it is felt that the symptoms are caused by a small ventral hernia in my rt. abdomen. As the peritoneal lining passes through the opening it causes the feeling of movement, and "fullness". When it snaps back into place through the opening, it causes the thumping feeling like a baby kicking. Going to confirm this  on a CT or MRI next week.
    Hope this helps someone out there....

Hi, i was wondering if you received any results yet. I gave the same problem and most think i am crazy for describing it like when a baby kicks. It actually made me cry for once last night and it sermed to take longer for the episode to pass. At times,  it literally takes my breath away. Hoping you are feeling better.  Thank you
Avatar n tn
I notice this after eatting fatty food i have had gall bladder out  stones that were in the gall bladder can also be in the liver small ones and when you eat or drink booze they get churned up stuff like icecream sugar bread processed food etc cheese or alcohol will do it. Its the liver trying to deal with it. Remedy is to follow a vegan diet and avoid alcohol cleanse the liver for 3 months.. see if you feel better - let me know. Always check with your dr don't sit on the baby ha ha!
Day 113
3 hrs ago by sicraw
sicraw Finally succumbed to Zoloft... Comment
KTowne uploaded a new photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals