Uterine Wall Thickening & rapidly growing ovarian cyst
I am taking tamoxifen (since June 2008) for breast cancer treatment (after lumpectomy & radiation).  I am considered menopausal - have not had a cycle since March 2008 (I am 50 years old). I had some light vaginal bleeding in Feb 2009 and was given a transvaginal ultrasound in early March, 2009, which revealed several fibroids, slight thickening of the unterine wall, several ovarian cysts. One of the cysts is a complex one that measured about 3cm in diameter in early March.  It was recommended that I have an endometrial biopsy, which was attempted but results were inconclusive - the dr. had a difficult time getting a good sample because of a uterine ablation procedure I had done about 4-5 years ago to help with heavy bleeding/clotting.  I just had a repeat ultrasound and the uterine wall is showing more thickening, and the ovarian cyst of concern has grown from 3 to 4.5 cm in 7 weeks. I am being referred to a gynocological oncologist even though I haven't been diagnosed with cancer.  Is it probable that I am facing another cancer given this information?
I completely understand your fear.  I am not menopausal but I had an ablation this past December due to excessive bleeding.  I went to my gyno bc of pelvic pain and pain during intercourse and also a milky discharge.  She ordered a transvaginal ultrasound after she did the pelvic exam.  The ultrasound showed that my uterus linning is thick and irregular. There was no mention of fibroids or polyps or cysts.  A pelvic MRI is now being ordered.  I do know that tamoxifen increases the risk of endometrial cancer.  I truly hope that is not the case.  I think seeing a gynecological oncologist is a good move as a preventitve measure.  My dad's mom and sister all have breast or ovarian cancer and my mom has colorectal cancer so, like you, I'm very nervous about the possibility of it being cancer. (I had cancer as a baby as well). Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.