Vagina Feels Swollen, but Visibly Isn't.

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

I've been tested for yeast and other infections. I don't have one. I don't always feel this swollen feeling in my vaginal area. A woman shouldn't actually be aware of her labia when she walks. I am though. I hate it so much. It feels like it's dry, but isn't. My labia is sensitive to wipe after urinating. This swollen feeling is intermittant. It's been occuring for about 2 years or so. I'm 39 now. I just don't know what to do!! I did see a Vulvar Pain Specialist who put me through every test possible. The only thing he can come up with is to go to Vulvar Physical Therapy. He thinks this swollen feeling and occassional tingling feeling has something to do with my pelvic floor. I think he's grasping at straws personally. There's something else going on. I just know it. There's gotta be a logial explanation for this feeling that's becoming more and more prevelant. I WISH someone could help me. Anyone ever get this feeling? Do you think it may have something to do with ovulation?

Thanks....:( :-)
Do you think it's possible it could be related to rectocele or cystocele? Not sure if your docs checked for anything like that? I have a rectocele and sometimes feel pressure or "bulging". With age, there seems to be a general relaxing of muscles in this area and can cause many problems that produce similar symptoms. Especially if you have had children or are overweight. I'm 36 and have 5 children. Hope this helps or at least gives you something else to look at.
Singergirl 67,

I think you should follow the advice of the vulvar pain specialist that you went to.  He describe one of the variations of vulvodynia.  Check out the vulvar disorders group and the vulvodynia support groups on yahoo.  Also, check out Dr. Glazers website:  http://www.vulvodynia.com/    Read through the FAQ section. You are lucky to have found someone who has knowledge about this right off. Many women go years without a diagnosis while they go from one doc to the next.

I am living proof that pelvic floor tension can cause vulvar pain symptoms.  I had 24/7 constant burning.  No sex, no bike riding, no hiking and walking up stairs was very uncomfortable.  After 6 weeks of kegels and biofeedback, plus lidocaine cream for the burn and estrace cream to toughen up the vulvar tissue, I am back to being able to have sex and ride my bike. Neither as long as I would like, but I can now do it.

I love your name, as I am a singer myself!
I have rectocele, and it caused some of the symptoms that you complain of.  I, too, had to do exercises and use estrace cream.  I have gotten great results.  I hope you find the answers you are looking for.  In the meantime, I'll just tell you that I had to quit wearing jeans, or anything that would rub against that area.  Thank goodness for those "gauchos" that are loose fitting.  I couldn't stand for anything like a seam to touch me.  
Hope you find some relief...
Amazing..thank you all. Just to have support, lifts my spirits. I will check into everything that's been suggested. Especially the Vulvar Physical Therapy. I scheduled that today. I have, unfortunately, been to several GYN's over the years with no help. I've gone in with every symptom under the sun and, of course after testing, nothing comes up. I was even told I had Lichen Sclerosis and then after seeing my latest Specialist, I was told I had nothing of the sort. I've been using Testosterone, Estrace, Steroid and A&E cream for no reason at all. No wonder I've had all the irritation and itching. My swollen feeling, however, is 2 years new. It's becoming more and more of an annoyance and a concern. So thank you everyone who cared to respond. It's more than what a medical doctor seems to do.....:(
and singergirl.....You're the reason I had to be singergirl67 !!
~lol~ Thanks goodness for music !! I guess we have to thank GOD for the things we do have and what does work with our bodies...:)
pb95, and Des_a_rae commented on pb95's status
pb95, Shannon79, Des_a_rae, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
pb95 commented on Des_a_rae's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals