Vagina area smells like body odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vagina area smells like body odor

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have.
Im 20 years old and lately I've noticed that my vagina smells like body odor, the same kind of smell under arms smell like when sweating and no deodorant. I dont know why all of a sudden I smell like this. After paying close attention to it for about the last few weeks I've noticed that it only smells when I wear skirts or dresses all day. When I wear shorts I dont have the problem. Can anyone relate to this or know what may be causing it? Could this be from sitting at a desk all day with my thighs touching and causing them to sweat? Anything would help! Thanks.
The sweat glands at the top inside of the legs are quite strong, and will pass through the smells of a lot of the food that you eat.  (Onions are an example.)  It could be from sitting with your thighs together, just the same way as armpit sweat would be increased if you sat in a warm coat and kept your arm clamped down.  Best thing you can do is try various ways of washing the skin, even (a friend I know does this) to the extent of swabbing your upper inside thighs (*not* the vagina!) with original-formula Listerine, which has a lot of menthol and eucalyptus and other natural ingredients for cutting skin bacteria.  
But if its coming from my thighs, why do my panties smell bad too?
As AnnieBrooke mentioned, the sweat glands go all the way up to the crease in your leg that's next to your vagina. Your panties may be picking it up from there. Try eliminating odor from the legs first, and if it persists then maybe it is your vagina that's the problem area. keep us posted.  Good luck.
As Vera says, the sweat glands there are very high in the inside fold of your top of your leg, and it can certainly transfer to your underwear.  You said it smells like underarm sweat, and that it happens when you are wearing dresses.  Smells from inside the vagina don't smell like sweat, if they have a smell at all (such as from bacterial vaginosis), the odor is characterized as "foul," and you'd have the smell no matter what you were wearing.  That's why I was thinking it was from the thighs touching each other and sweating.  Try the ideas above and if nothing changes, write back.
I am probably a poor one to comment as I simply love the smell of dirty knickers and the smell you are talking about but you are you and you have every right to decide how to manage your body.
We have sweat glands all over our bodies.  Under our arms smell of onions and the same can apply to around our bottoms as some of the sweat glands there are similar.  As for inside the legs where our thighs touch, a body smell arises.  The vagina is sterile if it is healthy as the natural discharge kills any germs.  It is only when the moisture reaches the outside world that natural and harmless bacteria get to work and produce a smell.
Nature dictates that this smell is attractive to men (or many men) and this is one of the things that turn a man on for sex.  Obviously the smell may not be liked by the woman concerned and she will wish to eliminate it as much as possible.
My suggeastion is that you can use wet wipes when you visit the toilet but only wipe the outside area.  Do not use any chemical deodorant as it can cause inflamation (inflammation) which could spread inside and make matters worse.  Around puberty, we humans take on a "Grown up" smell as our sweat glands mature and this leads to a body smell.  You might like to take a quick shower each morning (you may be doing this already) or wipe yourself with a warm wet flannel (face cloth) with plain water.  A quick squib of perfume or toilet water aimed at your thighs might help but take care as the smell mixes with your natural smell and becomes quite unpleasant, or at least I think so.
Diet can influence body smell and eating garlic, which is very good for you, can make you sweat a garlic type smell.  Eating other strong foods can do the same.
Actually, I suggest you spray your neck, wrists and behind your ears with perfume as this will make you smell really wonderful to both yourself and others.
Wearing a skirt or dress should help matters as air can circulate, while wearing shorts may actually increase the sweating although it may be  covered up.
Maybe you could ask yourself if you have changed your eating habits or if there have been any other changes in your life that could be the cause.  Maybe you have become more aware of your body smell which possibly has not changed or maybe it is the natural change I mentioned above at puberty and your body has done this for you maybe later than for some others.
Finally, I should not worry about it if I were you as I doubt that others notice it and if you are sure you have no infection down there and you have not started taking any medication that could be the cause, just ensure you are normally clean, as I am sure you are, and go out and enjoy yourself as a young, and I am sure, very attractive young lady.
Just as a Guy opinion, my sense of smell is fairly well. I suppose I'm different. But to the point, I really don't think most men think the Smell of Under armpit is such a "turn on" as you people have said. I find it quite a distinct smell and is very appalling. It's not too much of a turn off, but it really should be taken care of. Thank You Sincerely Preston
wearing under garments creates a closed viginal area. That area needs to  BREATHE and get air flow. Tight fitting shorts, jeans, under ware are the root causes for the oder. Masterbation (masturbation), dildo andother device use will create feminin oders as well and especially if you ae active in intercourse. I suggest at least twice per week that you use a good hygenic douche ie massingale or you can make your own Basics of any douche is white vinager and clean filtered water. I raised my off-springs with out under ware and when they reached puberty and started shaving, they were tought compleate hair removan below the waist. They in turn have tought theor off-spring these same concerns.
Original poster did you get the issue resolved?

I started having this problem in late 2009 and no one can give me a specific cure for it up til now.  I was told it's a form of Bacterial Vaginosis and given no medication, so I did research online and found some pills called BV essentials, there's also a suppository form of this, which are sold at walmart as well as on amazon.com, and another pill called femdopolis I believe.  These haven't cured the issue, but it's gotten mild.  Also, I use body mists, one that works well is cucumber melon from body fantasies, and another tip I got was to use unscented roll ons, but if you're very sensitive be careful, the roll on can cause chafing.  Good luck to you, it;s a very dreadful ordeal to have.
I agree, when a woman has that "under arm smell" around her crotch, it turns me on like nothing else! It drives me insane with desire. So ladies, embrace it, when your with your man trust me.

My current girlfriend doesn't have it and to be honest, I wish she did...I miss it.
I started having this problem exactly as you explained. It started 13 years ago. Doctors tried telling me its my imagination, until one day I made sure I did not shower prior to Dr visit. Then I asked her "Is it still my imagination or is it your imagination now?" while she was down there. She confirmed it. It was foul. No STD's, No infections. No solutions offered. Its NOT your thighs. Its NOT Yeast or BV. You have glands down there. Google vaginal glands "images". There are glands that secrete fluid, once any type of bacteria touches it then it forms a foul BO odor, sometimes comparable to unwashed belly button, onions, or the foul armpit w/o deodorant. I tried everything you could buy online. I found one product that finally worked after all these years. Its called "Norforms" in the purple box. Use suppositories once daily. It has to be used everyday. After 24 hrs it wears off. This is the only solution I have ever found. My odor was horrid. I could clear a room. I finally got my life back after 13 years! I had to work grave shifts to avoid exposing my odor to co workers. My social life ended. I havent been able to have sex last 13 years. Now its all over with. I have my life back and wish the same for you.
I have  had the same problem too for the past 17 yrs. Haven't found a remedy for it as yet . It has severely affected my social life ,my self esteem ,everything .Any solutions?
Put non-scented deodorant in the creases. Be sure not to put it on your vagina... Just a little is needed and it should help. I have the same problem as well and it seems to happen mostly when wearing loose fitting clothes like skirts and dresses too (no ideas why.) it's similar to underarm sweat except no one stops to think that if deodorant helps underarm sweating (or at least the smell) it will help sweating in other areas too.
You may want to go to the dr. I had a bad odor once and didn't worry about it much thinking it was from my period and my dr found it was a strep infection and it can be very serious if it is not treated.
talcum powder and anhydrol forte
thank you.
lol yes all smells r bad.lol
Eat pineapple makes down there change to a sweet environment, I dont know why for sure worked my girl. We are older she likes me down there she eats pineapple, you girls talk she can swell the difference when she pees... then we are on, she knows her body
Yep. Non scented dove on the groin creases. The deodorant suppositories. . There okay. If it's foul and stays there's a reason.  But sweat from the leg creases can prove yuk. Just wipe good and dry even better. Try bleach baths. Short bath very little bleach. Or a pool but you must wash the chlorine off aka shower just after either. I also have a skin condition. I use antibacterial body soap and a roll on topical antibiotic. It's helped both issues.  Always always blow dry your hot spots. Armpits,  under breast, vag, groin. After bathing and wiping off or else now you have wet left to bore more smells. Blow dry that mess. It'll feel simply great too. To be dry completely.  Good luck
I also have had a very strong b.o odor Down in the crevices of my thigh/vajay jay for years. Recently my husband was caught having an affair and the doc told me to come in right away. I was given a shot  of penicillin in my *** and 7 days worth of doxycycline and diflucan so not to get a yeast infec from the antibiotics.Two days later, the odor was completely gone!  All of the test that were taken in the office, including blood work was negative for std/bacterial vaginnosis etc. I'm starting to think that I had something undetected. My hubby was also tested and was neg so in the heat of passion and forgiveness we started having sex again. Now the smell is back. I think he should have also gotten a shot in his *** and doxy too. I think I will go back soon when the smell is unbearable and get the same meds and have hubby do the same so that their is not a ping pong effect. So maybe you have to go to the doc and lie so that u can get antibiotics.
I started having this problem about 6 months ago.  Nothing I did helped.  I accidently found something that when taken twice a day works to eliminate the problem. A glass of water or tea with half of a lime or lemon.  I think it balances the PH.
Post if it works for you.
Sounds good, but for those of us with acid reflux,  that's going to suck.  

I've tried 100 % pure extract coconut oil and jojoba oil, also simple vaseline.  They have only kept the ordor down, when when in the bathroom it's definitely renk and worst when I sweat.  I'm almost at my wits end and gyns and doctors are so goddamned clueless and useless about this issue.  Makes no bloody sense.